Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Re: #2293 by Karen S.

Not sure I understand the post. Caddy has cancelled the convertible but as far as I am aware the coupe is still on schedule for Spring 09. Have you seen something to the contrary?
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    For any who have the AWD version of the CTS, does that feature in any way limit/reduce/encroach on any legroom inside the CTS cabin as compared to the non-AWD version?

Thanks.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I just replaced my '03 CTS with a new '08 CTS. I was planning to order an '09 for delivery later in the summer, but I walked into my favorite dealership and my saleslady said she had just received a new car in trade from another dealer and it outfitted exactly as I had discussed with her for the future order, and it would qualify for the $1,000 loyalty rebate, so how could I refuse. It's a great car, but I have run into two problems.

When I tried to program the garage door opener I could not get it to work, and then I discovered the process had apparently disable my other clickers, including my wife's. Now I will have to wait until monday to see about correcting the problem. Luckily my outside key and inside button still operate the door.

The other problem is that my memory seat, which moves back to the exit position when I open the car door, also moves forward to the driving position as soon as I open the door from the outside and before I have a chance to sit down, making it very hard to get into the seat. On the '03 it waited until I put the key in the ignition.

Did anyone else have either of these problems? and how did you solve them?
    The description in the original report was CTS coupe convertible. Not Coupe/convertible. Only the convertible version of the coupe was dropped, not the hard top coupe. The coupe is still in line for production.

I hope this clears it up.
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    When is the Coupe expected to be available?
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    All reports I have seen indicate Spring of 2009, some have said May 2009. It can't be soon enough for me.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    It seems to me that if you like to "lead foot" your car, you will do it with any engine. But the point of my post is to point out that performance wise, Car&Driver did not find much difference between the base engine and the DI engine. The DI engine has a bit more torque, mainly in the 4000 to 6000 RPM range. Either engine has good performance which would lead one to "lead foot" it if one is so inclined. The DI engine does make the northstar V8 less needfull, but the CTS does not offer the V8 in any case.
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    The AWD and the non-awd have the exact same interior dimensions. I will say though that unless your in extreme weather conditions the non-awd is more than you need, just get the performance package with the limited slip differential.
  • dennisa50dennisa50 Member Posts: 1
    I also had the problem programming the universal home link buttons to open my garage door. I haven’t resolved that issue yet, but the Memory seat problem you are having can be corrected by changing a setting in the Driver Information Center (the buttons on the dash to the left of the steering wheel). Take a look at your owner’s manual under DIC Customization. There are a lot of settings you can change to meet your specific needs and preferences.
    I resolved both problems on Sunday.

I got out the instructions for the garage door opener and found out that by holding the learn button on the opener for more than a couple of seconds I wiped out the programming for the clickers, so I had to re-program them. Then I programmed the car's button from one of the clickers as per the instructions in the car owner's manual instead of from the separate instruction sheet given to me by the sales person.

I changed the DIC setting for the seat to not respond to the door opening, so now I can get into the seat and then push the button on the door to move the seat into the driving position.

Now I would like to know if anyone knows how I can remove those ugly instruction strips that are affixed to the sun shades. On the '03 it just peeled off, but it seems to be attached much more securely on this car.
  • mike241mike241 Member Posts: 5
    There is less legroom in the AWD version than in the non-AWD version.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I agree that the AWD has less leg room. Sit in both to see for yourself.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I think that they don't want it removed , which is why it is so difficult .
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Congrats on your new CTS, Bingoman. What color did you get?

My wife is only driving 1/2 mile one way to work, so our CTS mileage is pretty much at a standstill. I'll probably hang on to the 03 for another year. Since we live in the midwest, my wife wants AWD for the few days when we have bad snow storms in the winter.

Good luck and keep us informed on your experiences with the new CTS. I trust your opinions along with those of sevenfeet0.

Rich
    White Diamond with a Cashmere interior. I think this is the first time I ever bought a car with same colors as my previous car.

I picked it up Saturday so I have not yet put 100 miles on it. I can't believe how smooth and quiet it rides. There is a street near me with a series of cracks and ridges that really made the '03 rattle, but this car hardly noticed them. Next month I will be going out to Vegas to see the kids so I will have a chance to see how it handles on the freeway. In the meantime I need to put some mileage on the car as they say not to drive over 70 for the first 500 miles.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    Speaking of colors, has anyone seen a CTS finished in Sunset Blue? I think I have seen all of the colors except that one and it does not reproduce at all well on the website. It does not seem to be very popular. Is it one of those paints that changes tone as you change your angle of view?
    I saw one when I was shopping for a car . The color changes with the backgound and reflection of the environment .
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Looking forward to the report on your drive to Vegas.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    First of all, I just wanted to announce that I just ordered a 2009 CTS DI RWD tonight. Thunder Grey ChromaFlair Exterior with Lt. Titanium interior. I am looking for suggestions for a real brushed aluminum dash trim kit to fit over the factory plastic on the center console, doors, and hopefully steering wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    My only suggestion is to leave it alone. Aftermarket anything still looks aftermarket.
    The car is beautiful as is...congrats and enjoy it!
  • dabennysdabennys Member Posts: 1
    Thunder Grey ChromaFlair is an excellent color! When you ordered your 09 CTS, was there a price increase from 08? And do you know if it is it too late to order an 08?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You're almost 2 months to late for a 08
    I have heard there will be a price increase. The dealer does not know yet how much. The agreement I have with the dealer is that I will pay any increases (above my agreed upon price). On the other hand I will be entitled to any dealer cash, incentives, rebates, etc. that may be available at that time (as if!). I ordered the Consumer Reports electronic "car buying kit" so I can keep track of these kinds of things, including dealer holdback, etc which is how I arrived at my negotiated price in the first place. The kit is good for 3 months of online access. I expect the vehicle in either late August or September. The wait is killing me, maybe I will take up smoking to keep my mind off of it. ;>
    I hear you, all aftermarket wood style kits I have seen are not attractive to me. Even the factory wood on most cars in this and lower classes does not look great. The best I have seen is the Rosewood on the Infinity M35; I like it because it has less sheen and therefore looks more real to me. The effect falls apart at the ashtray cover where it is curved around and wraps under - real wood, even veneer does not do that...ahh well. Only solid wood could be carved this way, and the cover is definitely not constructed of solid wood.

This is the reason I am looking for "real" honest to goodness aluminum, not simulated graphic style aluminum. I love what Cadillac did with the interior, but let's face it guys and gals, the bean counters are still alive and well. The painted metal look plastic looks like painted plastic, and the door switchgear is cheap. The bottom door panel pockets are cheap feeling (and sticky inside - what this is all about I do not know). also, I do not like the way the outside mirror selector switch glows orange 24/7. Ok, my gripes are done with, I really love the car in spite of these interior issues. Congrats to Cadillac and GM for heading in the right direction!

So, I still am interested in pursuing a possible upgrade to the silver colored plastic, but leaving the wood trim as is.

BTW, I did order the wood packages (including the steering wheel and shifter), for some reason the high gloss finish on the wood trim for the wheel and shifter does not look cheap to me. Go figure!
    Ahh, beauty is still in the eye of the beholder. That glossy finish on the steering wheel and shifter stood up very well on my '03.

As to the orange light on the mirror switch, I also was disturbed until I found that if you pushed the same side twice it went out. So it doesn't have to glow all the time.

I have had my first dealer fix on my two week old '08. The temperature control on the drivers side would intermittently refuse to raise or lower the temperature. It turned out to be a programming error, so the electronics tech re programmed the climate control computer and it now appears to be working properly.

I have now passed the 500 mile break-in period and am starting to push the car a bit more, but here in LA with 35/40 mph street speeds I cannot push very hard. Just today I passed a patrol car up a side street with his radar gun pointed at traffic.
    I am beginning to think I may need a radar detector.

I had a clear plastic mask applied to the front of the car, hood bumper, mirrors, and headlight covers, all forward faceing surfaces, for protection against stones and orther objects that scratch car paint. I had this on the '03 and I never got a mark on the car. That is, except for the guy who hit my rear bumper when I stopped for a fire engine in Phoenix.

All in all I am very happy with the car, with the exception of the damn head rest. I am having some trouble finding a spot which gives me proper back support without having the head rest right up against the back of my head.
    bingoman I shall sing your praises the entire time I own my CTS for that helpful hint RE. the orange light on the mirror switch. Could you tell me more about the clear plastic you had applied to the forward facing surfaces of your car, or point me to a website? Thanks!
    The mask is a 16 mil clear plastic which is laser cut to a specific pattern for each car. I had a similar mask on my '03 CTS for the past six years and never had a scratch. Except for a small amount of dirt around the edges (which could be removed with a toothbrush) it was still almost impossible to realize there was anything other than paint on the car. The installation requires pains taking care so as to not trap any bubbles, and must be carefully stretched to conform to any compound curves, so I had it installed professionally, and they did an excellent job.

The company that did the '03 did not have a pattern for the '08 so I had to look for another to supply and install the mask on the new car. I searched on "invisible mask Van Nuys" in google and found a place called Sun Dimmers. I live in the San Fernando Valley here in sunny Southern California. If you do not live in SoCal you will have to do your own search, as the company I contacted is a local operation. Good luck in your search, and let me know how it turns out.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I have experienced several significant problems since purchasing my '08 CTS in Sept. From the first day I have had a wobble in the steering at 75+ mph - dealer gave in and replaced the tires but that did not resolve the problem. Unfortunately, it's random, some days bad, others not so bad so of course, each time I go for a ride with the service manager, the wobble is not significant enough. Everything points to the tires but 2 sets bad??? Not likely. I also have a vibration and noise in the steering wheel at slow turns - dealer replaced rack, noise went away only to come back after a month. Also have a growl in the engine that wasn't there before and I don't have the DI or peformance package. Anyone with similar issues? I'm suffering from falling for one of the first '08's off the truck!
    What were you doing driving at 75+ mph on the first day? The book calls for keeping the car under 70 mph for the first 500 miles. And as to that growl, have you checked the oil level?
    I babied the car for the first 1500 miles at well under 70 mph but the wobble was still noticeable at 65. I still baby the car but once past the break-in, acceleration and speed are part of the driving experience (70mph limits where I live).
    Funny you mention the oil level - I started noticing the growl after the dealer changed the oil for the first time (at 5000 miles). They used synthetic and the level is fine. Sounds like an air cleaner box or hose is unhooked - hollow growl. Sounds cool at hard acceleration but definitely not normal. Dealer can't find any problem.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2008 CTS DI AWD. Does this car have heated windshield washer fluid?
    How does it work?
    Cosmo
    YES! Try reading your users manual. (RTFM)
    It sounds like an alignment issue if it is not the tires and balancing
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    ask the dealer to do a hunter roadforce balance of all tires...if the dealership cant do it....it takes a specific hunter machine....have them take it to a good tire shop that has one.......Im betting that will eliminate your wobble......
    Thanks for the advice. The dealer re-aligned and roadforce tested the original tires then when they gave in and put a new set on (went with an upgrade of Michelins), the same problem still exists. All 4 wheels tested fine on the roadforce prior to installation. Very frustrating.....have been rotating the tires looking for a solution and think I'm on to something.....put the fronts to the back, drove a couple days then put them back up front - not near as bad! Has to have something to do with the wheel/lugs combination or rotor the wheel sits on. All wobble starts at 70+, 75 very noticeable.
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    In my monthy "On Star" report it said to check the oil level. Sure enough, after 3,000 miles my CTS took one quart of oil.

I guess this should be checked periodically.
    You should check the oil level at least as often as you fill your gas tank. Checking it while filling the gas tank is a good idea - OR - check it every week. Once you are sure that it does not use much, then you could check it less often - my northstar goes 12,000 between oil changes and does not use any oil yet. But my 2002 fwd northstar used about 4 quarts between changes :cry:
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    My second engine on my 08 CTS, non-DI used a quart in the first 2000 miles. Seems to have slowed down now, c I haven't had a new car since a 1990 Lumina that used that much. Most of my many new GM cars hardly have used any between 3,000 mile oil changes. Other than that, the new engine has around 2800 miles on it and is doing great, and no other problems associated with the engine swap. Actually no other problems at all, maybe I got them all out of the way in the first 1800 miles. Bad brake sensor, leaking rear end seal, and bad engine, hopefully my luck has changed. Still getting about 28 mpg on the highway when I keep my foot out of it.
    The CTS should have an oil monitor that will tell you when the additives are approximately used up. With synthetic oil (not sure if the 3.6 requires synthetic or not), I would think that the monitor (which is tuned for the recommended oil and doesn't know what kind of oil is really in the crankcase) should give a longer oil change interval than 3000 miles. My 2002 Seville would go about 10,000 miles on conventional oil, but nearly all of my cold starts result in a minimum of 10 miles of driving, followed by a warm start with another 10 miles to get home which makes a huge difference.
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    My 2008 3.6 DI drank quite a bit during the first 4000 miles......slowing down dramatically now on it's thirst for oil. The 08 DI is set for 10,000 miles or so definitly not 3000......it's synthetic.

The only thing I'l throw out there which I have found questionable is a Ticking noise on start up until she gets warm....It's 80 degree's here so it's not a cold weather thing but the ticking sounds like an old car with a bad lifter....then it quiets down.
    Otherwise this car has been a real champ.
    Didn't mean to say that I am changing oil at 3,000. That is what I used to do on my other cars that didn't use synthetic. My oil life monitor is projecting around 9,000 on the oil change interval right now. Since GM is paying for all of my oil changes for quite a while to come, I think I am going to have it changed at around 5 to 6 thousand miles. The majority of the miles put on the CTS is around town and back and forth to work by my wife, so I don't feel comfortable letting it go to 9 or 10 thousand miles. And since GM is picking up the tab for the oil changes and tire rotations I will let them do it a little more often. Just a little bit of revenge for all the frustration and crappy customer service they gave me when the engine starting leaking water into the block at 1800 miles. :D
    They might not let you take revenge on them . The oil monitor knows if you are doing mostly city driving , and it adjusts the oil life accordingly . The dealer will likely tell you that your vehicle is not yet due for an oil change .
    My dealer suggested (at least for the first oil change) to change at about 30%, which leaves a fair amount of margin. I am not inclinded to run mine down to zero. My Aurora (a 1998 model) would reach 10% after 3-4,000 miles (depending on winter or summer). The Aurora used conventional oil though, and on long trips it would go 6-7,000 or more. I also lived in town then, so typical daily drive was 6 miles to work. With synthetic oil, the monitor is going much longer, so I think changing between 10% and 20% makes some sense. I am planning to change (the second oil change) at 24-25,000 miles with a fourth tire rotation.
    Dealer will let me change it any time I want. Besides, it also says change oil at least every year, and it may not have over 6 thousand miles on it when it is a year old. My dealers service manager is doing every thing he can to keep me happy. Besides the free oil changes from Cadillac, he even gave me a certificate for 6 free oil changes from the dealership that I can use on the Caddy or my Avalanche. I shouldn't ever have to pay for an oil change again. That is assuming the dealership doesn't change hands. I was talking to a friend of mine that used to be a service rep for Ford, and he said that the engine change, 4 weeks of rental car and other assorted things they have had to do to my CTS has cost GM at least 10,000 dollars, and proably more. Serves them right for all the crap they put me through with a bad engine in a car with 1800 miles of it. I hope the rest of you are having good luck with GM's customer service, cause the experience I had with it on this car, it sucks.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I was hoping to be in a new CTS by the time the model year was out or early into the '09s, but financial considerations are trumping that. My family is into 3 years of a 5 year note on our '05 SRX. The SRX has been a good vehicle for us since we traded our original '03 CTS for it. We'd still be driving the old CTS had it not been for those changes that happen to many of us in life (kids). All of a sudden, strollers, baby bags and Costco trips made the SRX a much better choice for us.

Still, I was hoping to ride things out with my beater car ('94 Camry!) until things got better financially to get a second car, specially another CTS. And as it turns out, we need a new car now. But the '08 CTS is too expensive to take on by itself for us, even on a lease. My wife offered to trade the SRX and for her to get a used minivan. That's nice of her but when I did the math, it turned out that paying the last two years off on the SRX was far better than taking a 3 year used car note on anything decent to replace the SRX with. It just didn't make financial sense.

Combine that with $4 a gallon gas and my wife's wanting for us to get a smaller car with decent fuel economy (she's a PhD student in Environmental Management) has us looking elsewhere. Her short list vehicle in a Mini Cooper Clubman. Before you start laughing at the prospect of a nearly 7 foot guy getting in and out of that, I have driven the vehicle and the 2nd generation Coopers do have enough leg room for me (unlike the 1st gen ones). The normal Coopers don't have enough rear seat room for car seats, but the Clubman seems to be better at this, but only mounting the car seats at the dealership will tell us for sure. And finally, there's the price. I'd be looking at $41K for a loaded CTS at GM Supplier pricing. I think we can get a Clubman for about $28K and change.

Again, I'm not happy about it, but I don't think I can fight city hall (my wife) on this one. At least I got her to cross a VW New Beetle off the list, which is way too feminine to be a primary car for me. My brother recently bought a used V6 Chrysler 300 which has awesome legroom, but my wife can't stand the looks so that is out too. As for the Camry, it's being donated to our teenage babysitter who just graduated high school.

*Sigh*
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I just got a new 08 HHR 2LT and I like driving it as much as the wifes STS. You can get them brand new starting at about $17500 up to around 26500 for the SS with the turbo engine and near 100mph 1/4 times. Mine stickered for 24400 and has it all except it isn't the SS but gets around 25 in town and I have gotten 36 on the highway taking it easy. Back seats fold down along with the passenger seat which will get you some length for carrying things. I was surprised just how quiet it was concidering it's a cheaper car. At least worth a look, besides then you will have a retro car and lots of clubs springing up. :shades:
    The "retro" thing has nothing to do with it (despite us looking at Cooper and Beetles). Leg room for me is the first order of business, then the ability to haul or kids around. Everything else is a lesser priority. I will look at the HHR since I don't remember sitting in it at the last car show where I usually rule out potential rides every year. :)
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    The other vehicle that may workin your situation is the Kia Rondo. Tons of headroom, not sure about the front legroom though. But it is a pretty neat little ride.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Good to hear from you, Seven. Sorry that you'll be leaving the Cadillac fold -- I was looking forward to your reviews.

Funny how things change. I spent several years thinking I was going to end up in a 3-Series, but here I am driving a TSX, and enjoying it thoroughly.

Continue to keep us posted.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I'm not leaving the Cadillac fold...I just won't be getting a CTS anytime soon. My SRX is still a wonderful car. :)