Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If it is only 2K difference than yes but other poster said there is a 1100 price increase over the 08. In that case I'd say no unless there was something major on the 09 that you couldn't get on the 08 leftover.
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    I was at my local dealer last Sunday just looking around. They had an 09 sitting outside equipped very similiar to mine. Of course I couldn't get in it, but I took my time and looked it over closely. The only difference I could see from my 08 was the onstar/satellite radio antenna was color keyed to the car.
    There may be some othr changes that aren't apparent unless you are actually driving and using the car.
    My point is that is you can get a good enough deal on an 08 that you like I would buy it over the 09. I know they are offering GM employee pricing and some cash back, and I think I have also seen 0% interest. If all these can be combined, then it might make sense to purchase the 08 if there are any equipped to your satisfaction.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    rayainsw, dmathews3, 150mphclub and all board members

Thank you for answering my questions about the CTS Employee deal and helping me understand more about the latest CTS offer.

I just bought a fully loaded 2008 white diamond RWD CTS, DI engine with premium luxury collection, 18” performance package, and polished wheels. .
    MSRP = $48,420.00
    Employee Plan = $42,812.38
    GM rebate = - $2,000.00
    GM World card credit = - $3,537.57
    Net price before Tax, License and fee = $37,274.81
    So, from $48,420 + $250 spare tire (the dealer put a purchase order for me as a bonus per my request) = 48,670 I paid 37,274.81 = $11,395.19 saving + 0.9% financing for 3 years. I would estimate roughly as $15,000 saving from MSRP + 0.9% financing.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    fantastic deal
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I think it is very difficult to say what difference there might be. However, looking at the median price of used CTS's on cars.com, the 2004's are about $17,000-$17,500; 2005's are about $20,500 and the 2006's are $22,000.
  • sandy25sandy25 Member Posts: 65
    Looks to me like it would be a wash.
    the median price of the 2007's seem to run between $23,000 and $24,000 depending on 2.8 or 3.6 V6. What I see is that the 2004's are less, but depreciation seems to run about $1000 to $2000 per year on 2005's and newer. The big drop in value is the first year.

If you buy a 2008 now you should get a good deal on one. A dealer should not be making great deals on 2009 models until they have no 2008's left. The dealer is still making something on the employee price so there is room for negotiation.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Nice buy!!!!

One question----according to the GM credit card earnings guidelines the max. allowance on a CTS is $1000..I have a World card, however I am getting a different run around than I see posted on your thread..Curious as to how your earning total was about $2900 over the limit..Good deal..
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    In reply to message# 2556, I used my GM "World" Master Card when I purchased my 2008 CTS and got $3,800 off the best dealer price.
    There are many GM cards, the one I have is 7 years accumulated earnings toward a purchase of any GM car without "earnings guidelines". Some cards are set depend on the kind of vehicle you purchase, mine is a very old GM MasterCard, and I think that GM stopped issuing that card for new applicants.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    I used the card earnings on a 2002 Olds Intrigue in 11/02, and started from zero earning, however during the interim period I forgot to read the "fine print" and got surprised..A stripped STS is a better deal at this time, however, I don't think they have produced enough STSs to correct some of it's flaws, nor does GM give a hoot.

2009 model year will see lots of giveaways and scrambling to move inventory, so pricing will be crushed..My 2006 Pontiac GPGT S/C 260hp will suffice until the right moment.

Thanks to all!!!
    My wife drives a 07 STS our 3rd, and the only problem with it has been the built in GPS which by the way is made in Germany and is partly owned by Toyota. I just wonder how many STS's you have owned that gives you the personal knowledge on how well they are built.
    My new CTS has the front license plate riveted by the dealer between the upper and the lower grilles. It ruins the looks of the grille. I’m thinking of asking the dealer to remove it, and then I’ll mount it lower by turning the bracket upside down, using 2 small toggle bolts from the auto parts or a hardware store to mount it under the grille.

I need a second opinion, if anybody has done that kind of work.

Thanks
    Just read this in my local Lansing paper. GM to close the Lansing Grand River Plant for one week and when it comes back to work it will be at a slower pace. This plant builds the CTS's STS's and the SRX crossover. They said the CTS was selling real well but the older STS and SRX have taken a drop in sales. Don't know how this will affect those of you who have a CTS on order but good luck. I'm guessing once the coupe comes on line things will speed back up.
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    I live in Florida which does not have a front license plate. However, when I went to get my STS, My dealer had installed the front license plate bracket and put in an advertising plate for the dealership. The front lisence plate bracket looks bad on the STS, and I agree with you that it looks terrible on the CTS. Anyway, I told my dealer I would not complete the deal, that I wanted a differnt car. He offered to remove it, fix the holes and repaint the bumper. I agreed and it turned out like new.
    The only way you are going to fix the holes that are in your bumper is to have the whole bumper repainted. And, since you have already taken delivery, you don't have any leverage on the dealer.
    traderj,
    Thank you for replying to my post.
    Front license plate in California is the law and if I don't have it I'll be harassed by the California Highway Patrols. Due to the bad economy the cops started to strictly enforce that law for financial reason.
    Two months ago my daughter had a ticket for her 350Z after 3 years of driving without front license plate, then a couple of weeks later her friend has a ticket, it's a $130.
    I think if I turn the license plate bracket upside down the License Plate will be under the Grille which is acceptable and probably the upper 2 holes on the bumper will be hidden by the bracket.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    You won't be harassed, you will be ticketed for violating the law.

I believe the reason for the stricter enforcement of the front license plate law is the increasing use of automatic intersection cameras and the use of automatic speed radar and cameras.
  • genuisitygenuisity Member Posts: 9
    I bought a red 2008 Cadillac CTS with PDQ, 18" wheel summer package, the price was $40,575 after the $2000 rebate and the Employee Plan. The dealer didn't accept any lower price than the Plan price.
    The Window Sticker doesn't mention 6 DISC CD PLAYER, but since PQD has Y41 included, I think it should have 6 DISC CD.
    I tried to insert a second CD I couldn't do it. The book said press the insert key; I don’t think I have that key.
    Does anyone have CTS with PDQ package?
    Does it come with 6 DSC CD PLAYER, or a single one?

Thank you for the insight.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    The insert key is the button you pressed before you inserted the first cd, you spoke of .
    Your car has a single disc player. The navigation system does not come with a 6 disc changer. You have a hard drive with the navigation system. You can copy the contents of your CD's and DVD's to the hard drive to play back later.
    Congratulations! I'm really enjoying mine.
    I have the PDQ option. On the left end of the CD/DVD slot, there is a small triangle for Eject; there's no Load Button.
    I turned on the Navigation system, inserted the CD without pushing any button, then it played it back automatically.
  • mattgoofymattgoofy Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to purchase the CTS. When I test drove the car I noticed the wind noise only coming from the driver side window. The dealer told me that it may be a bad door seal. What was the outcome regarding your car and the wind noise?

Matt.
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    My dealer agreed that the wind noise was from the driver side window; none others that I can detect. The dealer, however, has yet been unable to solve it. The wind noise isn't as bothersome as the vibrations/squeaks that I'm getting from the chrome-look plastic rings that frame the dash gauges. The dealer hasn't solved that one yet either and the squeaking really is annoying. The remainder of the car seems very solid.
    I get a small amount of wind noise from the driver window when there is a strong buffeting wind. Otherwise the car is extremely quiet. On several occasions, when I was stopped at a red light, I had to glance at the tach to see if the car was still running.
    I drove to Vail on 8/23 & 8/24. I drove around the mountains including RMNP until 8/30. I headed back to Indianapolis on 8/31 and arrived on 9/1. I put 2700 miles on the odometer (it now has 3500 total miles on it). I encountered every conceivable weather condition except snow. I had sunshine, rain, and even hail; high buffeting winds and still air; temperatures from the 40's to the 90's. I drove from 500 feet above sea level to 12,000 feet above. I kept the cruise at 77/78, except in Colorado, where I found it easier to drive with cruise turned off. The car was/is so smooth, quiet and comfortable that I frequently found myself doing 90 when I was not using the cruise. The A/C was flawless in the 90 degree sun, and the cooled seats were wonderful. The drive was almost like playing a video game from my family room easy chair.

I got 26.3 mpg going west, and I got 27.1 coming back east.

I plan to go to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in October. I could fly, but why fly when you can drive?

Hope you all enjoy your CTS's as much as I do mine.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Glad your CTS is working out so well for you.

Also happy to hear you enjoyed CO. I moved to Grand Jct. in '53 & still enjoy a timeshare near Granby. RMNP is in our back yard. I feel better above 8K feet elevation and best above 9K. I first did the trail ridge road in '62 & have enjoyed it every time since. It's best (as I'm sure you'll agree) in a great car.

Excellent fuel economy for such a large car. My Lincoln LS did 27 on the highway on a good day, but it was no prize around town.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Glad you are enjoying your CTS.

I will be driving back from Austin through Albuquerque in late October. Exactly when is the Balloon fiesta.

And what or where is RMNP.
    My city mileage sucks. That is why we drive my wife's Pontiac Vibe for everything except road trips. The Vibe does as well around town as the CTS does on the road.

I do expect the CTS mileage to improve in the future, since it is currently not fully broken in (only 3500 miles on the odometer). Most of the cars I have owned have showed gradual improvement up to about 10,000 miles.
    Thanks for the information!
  • genuisitygenuisity Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the help. I was almost sure that I had a 6 disc changer.
    Thanks for responding to bingoman. I still can't figure out how to insert links.
    to insert a link, press the "url" button under the message window, type in the link name, such as 'link.com' without quote marks, and then press the "url" button again.

That will bracket the address with the necessary HTML code, and it should show up in the message as an underlined address.

That's how you use all the buttons, B for bold, I for italic, U for underline

small A for small characters big A for large characters Img for the file name of a picture, placed between the quote marks.

I believe that ABC will show any characters with strikeout lines through them. I have no idea as to what * does. And Close All can be used in place of the second button push to end HTML commands, especially if you are using multiple commands such as bold, italic and underlined at the same time.

I hope this has been helpful.
  • st4422st4422 Member Posts: 7
    It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. It takes much longer to type this than insert a link.

1. Copy the link you want to insert.
    2. When you post a message, click the "Url" box under the message window. It will insert some text.
    3. Paste the link at the end of the inserted text.
    4. Click URL again. It will be red as a reminder. More text will be inserted.
    5. You can name the link by replacing "link title" with a descriptive name for the link.
  • st4422st4422 Member Posts: 7
    Someone else IS awake this morning.
    My lease on my STS is ending and I was looking forward to getting a CTS. So I test drove an '08 during the employee discount, and to my shock I heard wind noise. Not at highway speed, but at 40-50 mph. I couldn't believe it! I had read so many reviews about the CTS and never saw that mentioned. So I went back to the dealer and test drove another '08. And, again wind noise! I have driven my STS for 2 years and never experienced that. So, I went to the manager, and to my surprise he told me that he drives a CTS and he has the same wind noise in his car. I still had trouble believing that GM could make such a mistake. So this past weekend I took my son-in-law with me to test drive several different makes and models. We went to different Cadillac dealer and this time test drove an '09. I had said nothing to my son-in-law about my previous experience. When he drove the CTS, I asked him if he liked the car. His response was "Yes, but what's with this wind noise?"
    So this is not an isolated incident, and for those of you experiencing this, I don't believe it can be fixed. In my opinion, and in the opinion of the sales manager of the first Cadillac dealership, what you are hearing is the wind buffeting the outside mirrors. I don't know if the CTS has accoustic windows in the front, but if it doesn't, it should. I know the STS has accoustic windows. This is easily checked. If you roll down the window part way and look at the glass, you should see 2 peices of glass surrounding an accoustic film. If you only see a single peice of glass, it is not accoustic. In any case, I have decided to walk away from the CTS. Road noise is acceptable, wind noise is not!
    You should expect to get something for the extra cost of the STS ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "So I test drove an '08 during the employee discount, and to my shock I heard wind noise. Not at highway speed, but at 40-50 mph"

Fascinating - as posted some time back, I rented a 2008 CTS -
    and drove hundreds of miles at all ( legal ) speeds -
    and I did not experience any such wind noise...
    - Ray
    Confused.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yea, what is real funny is when I drive my wife's 07 STS. Depending on the direction of the wind and speed of wind I can hear wind noise on the STS and I wear 2 hearing aids. :confuse:
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    1. When I start up my 2009 CTS the audio source always come on automatically. If I do not want to hear any audio, then I push the left knob to turn it off. Usually I have to do this 2 to 3 times before the system will actually remain off.
    2. The hold open stops on the front doors seem to be either very sensitive or very weak. You have to gently push the door (I am speaking from the perspective of sitting in the driver's seat and opening the door) into its' fully open position, otherwise it will start to close on you

Has anyone else encountered these conditions?
    1. Which audio do you have, and do you have navigation?

2. The door is a large mass and has a tendency to rebound. If you hold it for a moment at full open you will absorb or neutralize the rebound and it should stay open.
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    Have had my 08 for almost a yearnow, andI don't have the wind noise you speak of. In fact the car is very quiet.
    All of the ones I tested were at the very end of model year '08 run or very beginning of '09. I don't know how long the sales manager had his. So maybe this is a recent problem. Now, you can easily drown out the wind noise with the radio, but I always test drive the cars with the radio off or low in order to check for wind noise. Even a low level wind noise would bother me over a long drive. I remember I had a '91 Acura Legend, which at the time was the most expensive car I had ever owned. It had wind noise. I kept bringing it back to the dealer, and they kept returning it in worse condition. It bothered the hell out of me. Fortunately for me, the car was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew so I was able to get out of my lease.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    I have the audio with the hard drive and the navigation.
  • fordyfordconvfordyfordconv Member Posts: 4
    Just bought this new 08 CTS V6 Std Suspension and noticed the above problem on the way home! It sounds like the noise you hear at highway speed when a rear window is rolled down. Sounds like it's in the rear of the car. The vibration can be felt in the gearshift. It starts at 45, gets worse at 50, then dies out at 55. It happens when there is forward pressure on the drivetrain. It stops when I let up on the accelerator. I've taken it back and they have called Detroit. Anyone else experienced this problem?
    I took a 30 minute test drive in a 2009 CTS w/DI and PDR & PDW. I noticed exactly what you described. The 2009 I bought (exactly the same car, but non-DI engine) did not exhibit the condition you describe, not has it for the 3500 miles I have put on it.

I have no idea if the vibration/noise had anything to do with the DI engine, I just know the engine was the only difference between the two cars.
    Well, my biggest concern with the CTS has come home to roost. I complained about the fact that both the 2003 and the 2008 (in fact all new CTS's) have no security for the contents of the car when given to a valet or other person.

My Ipod Nano is gone. It was in the center console the last time I looked, but that was several weeks ago. I have given the car to the car wash attendant several times since I last looked, and yesterday to the dealers service department. I have no way to determine who took it. :mad:

Thanks Cadillac. I can now continue to worry every time I give the car to an attendant at a hotel, car wash, parking lot or any where I need to have someone else move the car. I cannot check every time I get the car back to make sure the console, the glove compartment and my luggage in the trunk is intact. I have replaced the gas tank cap with a locking cap, but I don't know how to secure the various internal compartments.
    I know what you mean, that would take all of 30 to 45 sec. I too can't be bothered taking up that much time as I got to use that time to figure out how to screw those jerks on Wall Street that have been screwing me all week. :P
    Its really strange, Honda has set up my wife's car so that you can lock the folding seatback, the trunk, the glovebox and the gas tank door so you can lock them with a key (the valet key) separate from the ignition and the door. But Cadillac can't do it. You would think that for an extra $20,000 they could find a way. Thanks Cadillac.
  • fordyfordconvfordyfordconv Member Posts: 4
    What you are hearing may not be wind noise! It could be a harmonic vibration like I have on my new 08 CTS (which can be felt in the gearshift knob) .... which the dealer is still trying to determine where it's coming from! So far, they have balanced the drive shaft & installed a new differential .... now they have a Engr Tech coming to look at it and they are going to perform a Electronic Vibration Test. It has 300 miles on it and I told them I don't want a new car that's been disassemblembled and reassembled. Sure has dampened our spirits on our deam car!