Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The EPA just modified their mileage testing methods to more nearly approximate real driving conditions, so it is their estimate and not your driving that is reducing the spread.
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    I just came out of a 2 year lease of an STS with beige interior and it was a maintenace nightmare. We had discoloring of the door handle/armrest, and the seat. No matter what we used we couldn't get it looking like new. We couldn't wait to get out of it. I just purchased an '09 CTS, and our first requirement was that it must have a black interior. We are 2 adults in our 50's, we are very easy on a car, but even we couldn't keep the beige interior looking clean.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Thats funny as I'm finishing up my 2nd year of ownership of a Red STS with the same color interior as you have and it looks as good as new. I have about 24K on it with about 18K of back and forth to work city type driving. I have had a couple other Caddys with this color interior without a hitch.
    I had the black dye from a belt rub of on my beige leather seat. I wonder if they are rubbing black dye onto their trim rather than the other way around. I don't believe there is black plastic under the beige trim.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    My 08 CTS is about 7 weeks old, has less than 1,500 miles and the driver's beige leather seat has a large wrinkle, the leather is kind of loose. It looks similar to that in the Cadillac forums website:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum-2008-beyond/134923-probl- em-drivers-seat-leather.html

I didn't have any other problem with the car; I don’t know if that loose leather seat problem worth the trip to the dealer. I wonder if GM would replace the seat; I new from past experience if they try to fix it they'll make it less durable.

Anybody experiences loose driver's leather seat?
    I had the same thing happen to me, also from a black belt. I had to take the car to an upholstery shop to try to remove the stains. This again, is why I just bought a CTS with a black interior. I don't want to have to woryy about what I am wearing.
    It is very common for the seat cushion leather to stretch out on Cadillacs. It happened on my '04 CTS and my '06 STS. Both times I was told this was normal. Cadillac will not replace it. It doesn't look good and it shouldn't happen.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Since the modified EPA estimates are lower, my "spread" should be increasing, not decreasing.
  • andbyeandbye Member Posts: 4
    These ads show $42,850 and $30,995 and seem to represent prices after all rebates, incentives, etc. for a well equipped model and a strictly base model. Doesn't indicate 2008 or 09 and no MSRP. What are they really saying? How do these compare to "employee pricing" featured a few weeks back?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    not sure about the ad.....I purchased an 09 CTS during the employee pricing plan offering....it was fully loaded...less AWD and I chose the base engine vice the DI engine.....MSRP was over 49K and my price was just at 42K before tax title and tags.....hope this helps
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    Just read an article that mentioned that GM was scrapping the introduction of the CTS coupe to save money. Also delaying the new Buick Lacrosse from this year to sometime next year to save money.
  • andbyeandbye Member Posts: 4
    Later similar ads list CTS MSRP as $37,165 with Employee price as $33,681 less fact discount of $2,686 for sale price of $30,995. That is an attractive discount on what must be very basic car; but local Sacto dlrs have low inventory of 09s, none with the 300hp 6 and none with MSRP below 42K
    This discount is only on the 1SA model. It is not availble with the DI engine. I just bought it and the car is great. The 263hp engine has more than enough power and is very smooth. There are big additional discounts if you are coming out of a lease, and you can use your GM card rewards. All dealers in South Florida have these in stock and they are heavily advertising them in the local newspapers.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    I cannot believe that after all the hoopla and spy shots Cadillac is delaying the intro of the CTS Coupe. I've been waiting almost two years (since they first hinted there would be a coupe) . Now I'm very concerned that GM may truly be having the kind of financial problems that could put them under. It doesn't make sense to me that a maker of luxury automobiles would delay an introduction based solely on the economy, there must be more to it. I'm affected by the economy but I was going to buy that car no matter what, now I'm not so sure.
    So far all we have is one person saying he heard.......................... Lets wait for the facts. If it was due out in the next couple months than I doubt they will delay it unless there is a fit/finish problem as all the parts should be in the pipe line by now and the dies made. Its just a matter of tweaking the dies to produce the required results.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    Looking through the owner's manual, Cadillac recommends using only an occasional damp cloth to wipe down the interior. They do not recommend any product on the interior, as some discoloration may occur or the different pieces of hide may react differently and I'm left with a multicolored interior.

Maybe that's the right answer, but something in the back of my head says that's not sufficient (I intend on keeping this vehicle for a loooong time).

What do the rest of you do? If it makes a difference, I have the black leather.

-Brian
    The safest and most effective way to clean the leather is to put a small amount of soap or dishwashing liquid on to a wet paper towel. wipe down the leather and then go over with a dry paper towel. It is surprisingly effective and very safe. I had previously tried a variety of products and was never happy with the way the leather looked or felt afterwards.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

My interest wasn't in cleaning the interior (I've forbidden my wife from eating chocolate malts in the caddy), but in preserving the leather from sun damage.

If you're saying that the products you tried to preserve the leather were disappointing, I've gotten the message.

Again, Thanks!
    saddle soap, has worked for at least a hundred years
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    08 CTS Light tan interior...dark brown dash:

Well with only 12,000 miles and a year and 5 months my drivers seat already has a wear rub crease on the drivers seat back part nearest to drivers door....yes I use cleaner and I have a job where I am dressed all the time so it wasn't a matter of getting in the car dirty. The seat leather seems thin and obviously "has issues" when it begins to show wear marks that cleaners and conditioners cant prevent. (not too happy about that) The dark brown dash still looks great (naturally no one is sitting on it ) and conditioners seem to keep it soft and colorfast. I use TANNERS leather conditioner.

I dont "know" but I would bet that the car will long be gone before this dash board turns from the sun. The seat leather however is pissing me off. I'm 220 lbs 6 foot. Later folks...
    I didn't say I heard it, I said I read it in an article. It was on yahoo, a week or so back. As for whether the writer had his facts right or not, then we will indeed have to wait and see.
    I believe the dash material is man made material instead of real leather like the seats and door panels. We are very careful with ours, keep a towel on the seat most of the time, but I have also noticed a crease beginning to develop. I have also had the black from the door weatherstripping wearing off on the cover on the door post. Luckily this cleans off the fabric very easily. Haven't figured out how my wife is doing this yet, either rubbbing the weather stripping and door post while getting in and out, or maybe when pulling the seat belt on. My 04 CTS had the ebony interior, and while not as pretty as the cashmere and cocoa, it was easier to maintain. However it wouldn't have looked good with the goldmist exterior, IMHO.
  • cts08nogascts08nogas Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

Just wanted the thoughts of others regarding the very poor gas mileage I am getting with my 2008 AWD CTS with the direct injection engine with currently around 5,500 miles. My daily commute is around 8.5 miles broken-down by 15% city driving and 85% highway driving. I wish my actual MPG was as simple as taking the weighted average of the vehicle’s estimated MPG (18 city/26 highway), given the break-down of my daily commute, but its not nearly that simple. In fact, I am consistently getting 15.5 to 16.3 MPG on a tank of gas. Are other members getting around the same?

Because it’s not cool just getting around 240 miles to a tank, I have really tried to watch my driving habits. I can reach the high end of my range (16.6 MPG) when I accelerate from a stop very slowly and keep my highway speed between 60 and 65 MPH. However, if I drive like a bat out of hell on a tank of gas I get the low end of my range (15.5 MPG), only about 7% less. This seems very puzzling to me as well. I wouldn't expect the two ends of the range to be so close.

Perhaps the most troubling aspect of this problem comes from the poor customer service that I have received from my dealer, Cadillac and GM regarding this issue. None of them seem to care, not even after I filed a complaint with the BBB. As we all know, GM is not doing very well and I guess, given their other problems, them caring about my MPG issues is like a waiter on the Titanic giving a damn about my displeasure with the location of my table. Bottom line: I think something is seriously wrong with my ’08 CTS’ MPG and they could care less. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    What part of the country are you in. What is the weather. Is the route hilly or flat. Is the trip 8 miles one way or there and back. Lots of variables. If the trip is only 4 miles each way the engine is hardly getting warmed up. Even eight miles is not a long trip. How much idling do you do. How much waiting at stop lights. How much stop and go traffic. 304 hp is an awful lot of power for just short commuting, not that I do much more and I have not checked but I suspect my mileage is not any better, and I have RWD.
  • mattgoofymattgoofy Member Posts: 6
    I have the 2 wheel drive DI. I have been averaging a little better then 20 MPG. I am happy with that result. My prior car only averaged about 18 MPG.
    I've just done some arithmetic on my gas log. I am getting 15.0 mpg city driving. On a trip in June from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back I got 24.0 mpg.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    You do not want to accelerate too slowly from a stop . You do not want to accelerate like a drag racer , but you should quickly get to cruising speed . By being a too slow accelerator , you get a lower MPG .
    2008 Non di engine. My wife is getting anywhere from 14 to 17 city driving and it has gotten as good as 27 on the highway, but probably averages around 25. This is the MPG for the second engine, the first engine that was trying to burn water and anti-freeze didn't do anywhere near as well.
    Thanks for the reply......
    I have an 08 DI AWD and I get about 16 City...26 when I take a long trip on a flat road on the NJ Parkway.

Ya got to remember that these MPG stats are given by GM under ideal circumstances. I think your MPH will improve as you break in more but 16 MPG is about what I see. And my driving habbits are leadfooted. :)
    For the person who posted that there was a hold placed on the CTS coupe due to the economy that I said was most likely false, I was right. In my Lansing paper today it was stated by GM that both the couple and wagon are on schedule to be released as planned. It said they were to far along to put a hold on. :shades:
    I was that person that reported it. I didn't say that they were definetly postponing production, just that it was reported on Yahoo finance that they were delaying it and the Buick Lacrosse. Read the posts carefully, and maybe you won't start any misunderstandings on the board.
    You made it appear that I just decided to make up the report, which I did not. It was in an article on Yahoo finance. Evidently they were wrong. If you don't want information reported on here that others may not see elsewhere, then I guess you are out of luck.
    If I remember right you were the one of the people that attacked me when I reported my engine problems last year. At the time you and others tried to make it seem that I was making that up also.
    I will pay better attentions to your posts but only if you do the same. Here is the first part of my post: For the person who posted that there was a hold placed on the CTS coupe due to the economy No where did I say or even make it think you made of the post. All I did was say that your post turned out wrong. Since these are posts and really isn't time to write a whole 3 page letter covering every possible meaning I guess we both need to be a little more forgiving of other peoples meaning. The intent of my post was someone else was very upset after reading your post as he had his heart set on a coupe. My post was to let him and everyone else know that the coupe is a go. Yes I an others attacked (maybe your wording is a little strong) but I did come back and tell you a number of times I was glad everything worked out.
    Go back and re read your post. "So far all we have is one person saying he heard____________________. " Lets wait for facts. No where did I say I heard, I said I read it. I didn't initially say that it came from Yahoo finance, but surely they are a fairly reputable source. it isn't as though I was quoting it from some blog. I personally don't give a rat's A** if they introduce the coupe or not, I was just reporting something that I had seen that wasn't mentioned on the board. This will be my last comment on this matter.
    Among all of the factors that affect mileage that have been mentioned here, the one that is probably affecting you the most has not been mentioned. That is weight! You have AWD which adds about 200 lbs, you may have a sunroof which adds over 100 lbs, and you may have several other options which in total could add even more weight. I have the base model with the base engine and I am getting about 16-17 city and about 28-30 on the hwy. My car weighs about 400 lbs less than yours. Thats like you carrying 2 adults with you wherever you go. This will greatly affect your mileage and is not taken into consideration in the EPA estimates. Now, I also live in Florida, which is at sea level, all roads are flat and the weather is nice all year round. So, everything works in my favor. BTW, you might also try a different gas station, I read an article recently which stated that there was a bigger difference in mileage among different brands of gas than is commonly believed.
    Saddle soap and a soft cloth is far superior to dish soap and a paper towel.
    I have a 2009 RWD with the standard engine and automatic (6100 on the odometer). I drove from Indiana to New Mexico and back (cruise set at 5 to 8 mph over the posted limits all the way), and I got 26.3 mpg for the trip using the miles driven divided by fuel used pencil and paper calculation method. Incidently the onboard computer gave me the same result as my pencil and paper.

I would suggest that 8.5 miles is a very short commute. My onboard computer always registers my worst mileage for the first 3 to 5 miles of any trip.
    I had a chance to see the CTS Sport Wagon tonight at the South Florida Auto Show. I have to say it is the best looking wagon I have ever seen. My only concern is that the blind spot by the D pillars is enormous!
    I've had numerous cars with big blind spots, think old days when fastbacks like the Mustang were the rage and you learned to live with it and work around it with your mirrors and common sense. Think about the guy in the 18 wheeler, now there is a huge blindspot but they learn how to drive and have a lot less crashes per mile than the average joe six pack :P
  • psdesertratpsdesertrat Member Posts: 11
    I drive the same DI AWD. My commute is 12 miles one way and I only averaged 16 to 17 mpg on a tank. I now have over 16k on the car. I did not see better mileage until I hit about 15k. I am now getting about 18 to 19 mpg. The one thing I did notice is I get better mileage without using the AC. I talked to another guy today who has the same car. He started out just getting around 14 and is now averaging 17. He had not one complaint about his car....he, like me just loves it to darned much to say anything bad. My only complaint is the dealer requires anywhere from 2 to 6 times to fix a warranty repair. :shades: From sunny Palm Springs.....
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    I have not seen or heard what CTS, STS and DTS represent.
    I came up with what seems reasonable:
    1. CTS, Cadillac Touring Sedan
    2. STS, Sport Touring Sedan
    3. DTS, Deville Touring Sedan
    Has anyone seen information from General Motors?
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    I dunno if there is any official explanation. But working backwards, the DTS evolved from the DeVille so that makes sense. The STS evolved from the Seville so I suspect that the Seville is what the first letter stood for. To my knowledge, the CTS was designated as that from the start as the replacement for the Catera, but I don't think GM wants to remember that name, so maybe it just stands for CTS.
  • edkleinedklein Member Posts: 34
    Well, perhaps I have less reason to be concerned. I have a 2009 CTS DI RWD. I'm nearing the 1000 mile mark and I've been averaging 15.5MPG. My main commute is 21 miles each way with a fair amount of congested highway each way. The thing that concerns me is that, driving pretty much the same way as the 96 Accord I replaced, I'm getting much worse mileage than I expected. WIth the Accord, I'd average around 25MPG. The CTS averages 10MPG worse, but only runs about 4MPG worse on the ratings.

I love the car, but filling up about every 270 miles is pretty painful.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    not to add to your frustration..but if you have to be concerned about filling up the $40K cadillac over a honda.....then perhaps you should have stayed with Honda....was the honda a 4-banger..manual or auto?

21 miles in congested traffic..highway or otherwise will dramatically impact MPG,,you will not see high 20's in the CTS until an extended highway road trip....in northern va....im averaging 22-23 around town with stop and go....and 28-30 on the highway....over 100 miles steady highway driving at 70 plus..09 with 4k on it none DI engine
    Plus I bet the Caddy weighs a whole lot more than the Honda too. From cracker box to limo you have to give up something. :P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    was that CTS stands for Compact Touring Sedan (compact only by Cadillac standards), but I'm curious too if there's a real answer out there.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    "C" class Touring Sedan. The CTS was developed to be Cadillac's compeditor for the Mercedes "C" class.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    That's a common mistake. They were following an alphabetical pattern only.

They had the huge DTS, the Middle Sized CTS, and the BTS(which never was sold in the U.S.) The current CTS was meant to compete with the base 5 series at a *much* lower price.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    "They had the huge DTS, the Middle Sized CTS, and the BTS. . ."

So, given that and GM's current "situation," there is surely an FTS somewhere in the mix in the not-too-distant future.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester