Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What really amazes me is all the AWD cars in ditches right after a major snow fall.

Well it's All Wheel Go, not All Wheel Stop :)

Last weekend on my way home from Lake George to NYC in the snow/ice/slush we saw no less than 12 Jeeps off on the sides of the roads, 3 chevy Impalas, 2 Thunderbirds, and 1 Ford Crown Victoria State Trooper!

Even with AWD, you need to drive with care, however, having driven both, and raced both, I'll take AWD anyday depending on the system.

-mike
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Well said paisan. Here in Upstate New York it's known as "the arrogance of All Wheel Drive". AWD doesn't make you a better or smarter driver.

As for living in NYC...I'll take the snow.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    [[ Applies to any car – including the CTS. ]]

The hallowed ( in the USofA ) and reasonably standard 0-60 time measurement is occasionally subject to an issue of shift points. BMW, in particular, often seems to ignore any relevance to 0-60 acceleration times in picking gear ratios.

The last BMW 530 test I happen to have handy ( $50K sedan comparison test from C+D ) shows MPH / 1,000 RPM for the 530’s second gear at 9.2, with a final drive ratio of 3.46:1. RPM limit is 6,500. This means that the second to third gear shift occurs JUST before the 0-60 MPH ( or 0-100KM \ 62 MPH ) time is recorded – slowing that time to some degree.

The 535i and 535xi numbers I have show the heavier AWD xi quicker ( by 1 tenth ) than the 535i.

Now, the rev limit of the new 335 & 535 motor appears to be increased to 7,000 RPM.

The 535xi has the same 3.45:1 final drive – but with the increased RPM limit, my ** GUESS ** is that now the 535xi will hold second gear just PAST 60. Avoiding the time lost to that additional shift.

And the 535i has a final drive ratio of 3.64:1. Approx a 5% difference – and will likely ( along with the fact that it will weigh less ) result in quicker acceleration within any particular gear range. But will show as ‘less quick’ than the 535xi, if that second to third gear shift in the 535i occurs just before 60 MPH – causing that additional shift time to be included.

Clear?
    - Ray
    NOT a drivetrain engineer . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    To me the all important time is the 45 to 75 time. That is what gets me past the semi I am following without making me a splat on the one coming in the opposite direction.
  • fadywwf316fadywwf316 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to a few questions about the 2008 CTS as I have found no decisive answers from scouring the net...

1. Does it have bluetooth? (I read somewhere it does, but its GM, so I doubt it).

2. Is there a rearview camera? (seems like just rearview ultrasonic sensor maybe).

3. Are the voice activated features voice-sensing like in acura and other cars or do you have to record preset voice tags? (because the press release made it seem like their were voice tags, so i'm not sure how GM does their voice activated systems, if they are available in their cars currently).
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Well it's All Wheel Go, not All Wheel Stop

I know that, you know that most people know that. What most likely got them in the ditch was an over reliance on AWD.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Not that I know:

1. Bluetooth - yes, no, but.

Yes it will have bluetooth, no, not in the United States, only in Europe, but, "later" in the US (said to be 6 months into the production) -- translates into "late, late availability in the US."

2. Rearview camera? Can't find it anywhere, but parktronic, assuming it is available from the get go has served me well since 2000. The RVC plus parktronic is supposed to be the best of all worlds, assuming there is also front parktronic.

My best guess is "no RVC."

Also no pushbutton start.

Editorial: I have pushbutton start. It was a $750 option in 2005 on my Audi A6. I use it about 1/3 of the time to start the car. The damn key plus the fob is so big, I hate having it in my pocket, so it ain't no THANG to stick the key in and turn it. BUT, the cool thing about the smart key is that when you approach the car and your hands are mostly full, the car knows its you and unlocks the doors you have programmed. This is a really nice feature.

I could give a cuss about pushing a button to start the car -- but since it is now even on the far far less expensive Nissans, it would seem a "me too" feature that you ought to put on the car just to shut some of us up.

My personal taste in pushing a button is not relevant to you, of course, but for pity's sake, I do like it when the car recognizes it is you and doesn't force you to fool around finding a button on a fob to push, especially in the winter when the key is buried deep in your inside coat pocket.

Ah, the height of laziness.

ummmm, #3

Acura and Infiniti seem to have some pretty slick voice tech -- my Audi is OK. At least I can recite phone numbers without training it and the nav system's voice works well, too as it does for the sound system.

I know not what Cadillac will or can do -- it would seem AT MINIMUM to need to be up to the OK Audi standards. The Acura TL's system is impressive -- I cannot imagine the Cadillac, if it has one, will be anywhere close.

Back again to Nissan Altima -- this voice tech must now be super cheap. And, now that I have had "OK" voice tech for almost 3 years, I believe it is a safety feature. It was cool for about 15 minutes.

My 2005 Audi, like many of the new breed of cars has (from the driver's seat) 82 knobs, dials, switches, buttons, dials and other stuff to push, twist, poke, slide, click and rotate. Without voice how could you drive the thing PLUS ever make a phone call (my phone is 100% hand and eyes free thanks to voice.) The point is, if the CTS has anywhere close to the number of buttons and do dads that a three year old Audi has (and it has MMI to boot!) and lacks voice command, well, more's the pity.

Drive it like you live. :shades:
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    And, now that I have had "OK" voice tech for almost 3 years, I believe it is a safety feature. It was cool for about 15 minutes.

Often tech seems to be added just for that "cool" factor. When I looked at an Acura TL a couple of years back, that was my first thought re the Bluetooth. "Cool" However, I agree that that is a worthwhile bit of tech and will definitely be something high on my list for my next car. If a Nissan Altima has it, there's no excuse for a Cadillac (or Lincoln, since that's what I now drive) to have it, and have it now.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21392627-5012441,00.html

"He says it will be in the 2009 Cadillac CTS, which is almost certain for Australia as Holden looks to boost its prestige business with Cadillac and Hummer.

The diesel is a 2.9-litre four-valve V6 turbo-diesel with 184kW and 550Nm. "

Perhaps in the USofA also?
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    Push button start (with auto unlocking when the fob approaches the car) is an option.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    No Bluetooth for a while on this car?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    yes !!! :sick:

Rocky
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    There was nothing ugly about the previous models of CTS's, however some may not have cared for the razor sharp edge look of which all of the Sigma platfom cars are based.

The only thing ugly about previous generation CTS's were the scream cheap interiors and the stupid seat mounted belts.

Why does Cadillac do things like that? Cadillac is supposed to be the flagship luxury brand.
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I rather like the interior of my '02. I also like the seat mounted seatbelts as I can adjust the seat at any time without worrying where the belt will end up. The dash could have been done better as the pattern reflects off the windshield on a bright day and can be distracting and hard to see through. And the missing temperature gauge and the clock on the left side of the dash, out of sight of passengers, were a big mistake.
    I think the biggest mistake Cadillac makes with the CTS is to limit the available options. When you spend over $40k you want a car equipped the way you want it. It will be a mistake to leave off such things as a rear view camera when the navigation system is ordered, and the cruise control should have the adaptive option available. These things are available on lesser cars and ought to be at least optional on the CTS. The camera could even be a dealer installed option if it is a problem for the factory.
  • oldranger1oldranger1 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have any idea when GM is going to release specs and prices? MB is sending me all kinds of stuff on the redesigned C Class...from GM, wallpaper, which is driving me nuts because it looks so good. I'm always the last to know (two divorces), so apologies if this info has been posted before.
    What kind of specs ?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/2008-cadillac-cts.htm

Or http://www.cadillac.com has video, gallery's, etc, at the bottom left of the website.

I hope I was of help pal....... :)

Rocky
    I checked out the web sites. 300hp on regular gas is impressive.
    Yep..... ;)

What's going to be even more impressive is when you see the 2009' CTS-V out run C5 Corvette's Z0-6's and just maybe a C6 Vette ;) It will be worth watching what the 0-60 and quarter mile times will be on the 09 "V". Some say 515 hp. Some say 550 hp. and a lot say 600 hp. I am hoping it will be 600 hp. as that would be such a awesome number in a sedan, let alone a Cadillac. :shades:

Rocky
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    It'll be compared mostly with the G35, a similar sized and powered sedan, that offers a coupe, also has AWD, and loaded is hard pressed to reach $40k. Value is a major card for the Infiniti.

I think this puts pressure on Lexus to add either AWD or a manual to the IS350, or more power to the 250.

Looks like a contenda, doh. :)

DrFill
    I still would of liked to see them add a few more ponies under the hood. Like 330 hp would of been good. ;)

Oh well......

Rocky
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I would be amazed if in reality the AWD 3 or 5 series accelerate faster than the RWD versions (unless we are talking about on snow/ice or somesuch). Those cars weigh about 200 lbs more than their RWD versions so NO WAY should they get to 60 faster, especially since the RWD versions have traction control and will not allow wheel spin. Others please post it they have other info, but I doubt it.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    at some point, people have to be a bit more realistic about HP. It sounds great to say that (whatever you have) goes 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, or whatever, but for most of us: so what? Only 20 years ago or so, it was a huge deal to go 0-60 in less than 7 seconds. Today, practically every car claiming to be "sporty" does it. Problem is that driving ability has not changed that much and we already have too many hot dogs with zero driving ability, out of control on our roads. I bet that most people on this forum who claim that they need max acceleration, have never been to a driving school and usually spend most of their drives in stop and go traffic. Doesn't mean that they should not aspire to high performance cars, but whether you need a Z06 vs. a regular Corvette, or a 328 vs. a 335 BMW is probably worth some consideration.
    You make a valid point and yes 300 hp. is plenty but power does help sell the vehicle and the 08' CTS should of took the initiative to out power BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, while they had a chance. I'm not dissapointed with "only" 300 hp. but I would of liked to see around 30 or 40 more hp. especially since the CTS-V might double the base CTS in power output and there was just plenty of room in the base CTS, to make class leading power without coming close to the "V" ;)

Rocky
  • oldranger1oldranger1 Member Posts: 9
    You definitely were, and thanks Rocky. Did I miss what the rear leg room is going to be? I just don't want to hear another backseater complaining about not being able to find room for their feet.
    It is the same as the 07' CTS. The only thing that happened is it grew 2 inches wider (off the top of my head)

Rocky

P.S. Glad to be of help ! ;)
    I bet that most people on this forum who claim that they need max acceleration, have never been to a driving school and usually spend most of their drives in stop and go traffic. Doesn't mean that they should not aspire to high performance cars, but whether you need a Z06 vs. a regular Corvette, or a 328 vs. a 335 BMW is probably worth some consideration.

I could not agree more. I am a certified track instructor with SCCA and NASA and it's hilariously funny when people come to the track for the first time, usually 2 groups, punky kids with their rice-rocket fast and furious cars or middle aged guys with their BMW 5 series, Caddy CTS, or Dodge Charger SRT8s. I have on more than one occasion gotten out there in the "novice" group with my 150,000 miles Subaru Legacy putting out 165 hp when new in 1994 and ran laps around these guys.

It's amazing how humbling it can be during the course of the day to see these very confident cocky people (both the younguns and the middle age folks) turn around and really realize that they need to concentrate on their skills more than what modifications they can do to their car or which new expensive sporty ride they want to buy, depening which demographic they are in.

As we say at the track school "fix the nut behind the wheel" The best part of actually learning to performance drive especially a car like the CTS or CTS V is that you can actually take advantage of all these new and technologically advanced cars have to offer, along with the fact that you can actually transfer your skill set from car to car. :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
    “I would be amazed if in reality the AWD 3 or 5 series accelerate faster than the RWD versions . . . especially since the RWD versions have traction control and will not allow wheel spin. Others please post it they have other info, but I doubt it.”

Your post reminded me of the one thing that could possibly result in the AWD version being quicker in the ‘real world’ despite the additional weight & rotating mass:

The 335i has no LSD. And with that much torque, that low down in the RPM range, it appears possible that the addition of AWD might increase the launch traction sufficiently to reduce the 0-60 time with all 4 tires applying TQ. Traction control typically will not allow ( too much ) wheel spin – but will often reduce power & cost time in the process. And most published numbers are obtained with Traction Control turned ‘off’.

I doubt we’ll see a published test with a RWD & AWD version of the 3, or a CTS running back-to-back on the same day\track.

- Ray
    Happy to keep traction control ‘on’ in the real world . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    For me 0 to 60 is a meaningless number left over from the drag strip culture of the 50' & 60's. My car does a 6.8. So what if yours does a 7 or a 6.5.

I want to know what is the 45 to 75 time. That is what lets me pass one semi without becoming a splat on the grill of the on coming semi. I think 300hp, 270 torque, and six speeds should get me by that semi rather quickly, but I would still like to see and compare those numbers.
    Yup, also I'd like to know what it runs on a road course such as Laguna Seca, Limerock, or Watkins Glen, this will give you a more "real world" performance rating since it includes hills and turns. :)

-mike
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    The best story I read on that was at a Toyota new model preview at a road track, held for magazine writers. One writer thought he was doing well in the then-new Supra, when he looked in his mirror and saw the Tercel slowly closing on him. It was Phil Hill at the wheel, and he passed the Supra and went on his way. Skill trumps equipment...
    "Skill trumps equipment..." good comment, but I will take the Supra when I want to pass a semi on a 2 lane road.
    "Skill trumps equipment..." good comment, but I will take the Supra when I want to pass a semi on a 2 lane road.

Here is where skill comes into play. Skill and judgement, even with the Supra or in this case 2008 CTS, poor judgement could leave you kissing the front end of the oncoming Semi, despite the extra power.

-mike
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I fully agree as well.

- 0-60 times are meaningless because with most modern cars, it's like pushing the auto-launch button on a F1 racecar. Whomp on the accelerator and make the engine scream. Presto - really fast in a straight line.

Take that same Camry into city traffic and try to get it to do 20-40 and so on and it might as well be a Buick. It's big, heavy, and cumbersome. Slow to shift as well unless you hammer it and it goes into "0-60 mode". (problem is a transmission that tries to out-think you and silly tall gearing with an overly agressive torque converter/overdrive)

- And of course, you can't get past the skill point, either. The last time I drove 0-60 in under *ten* seconds was when... ah yes... Pasadena Freeway. 20 ft onramp(yes, no joke - 20 ft). But that's a singularly bad example, to be sure(only the freeways in San Fransisco are uglier, IMO, than this one freeway)

Not, that's not to say that I won't go down twisty roads at silly speeds from time to time, but I'm not surprized in the least that those tools with their overpowered rockets can't keep up with a smaller and lighter sedan. My ancient Volvo 164E I had in college even drove circles around most people due to skill and a decent design.(Volvo's copy of the BMW Bavaria/3.0) I mention it because it was a big heavy 3000lb tank compared to something like a 2400lb BMW 2002Tii. A good driver could probably beat a rich guy with his CTS at the track in a Sentra. :P

Me? I don't NEED 300HP. In fact, that's far too much power to actually have a decent driving experience. See, it's a big engine, has too tall gearing, weighs almost two tons, and has a very muscle-car era behavior. Stomp on it too hard and the car lurches and the tires chirp if you have traction control off.

By the way, traction control isn't required on a properly made car. But stuff a huge HP engine in a FWD car and.. yeah - it becomes necesarry.

Me? I'd take a 1995 or so M3 over any of the newer modern toys. Well, except for maybe a S2000 ;) Lovely car.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    The best story I read on that was at a Toyota new model preview at a road track, held for magazine writers. One writer thought he was doing well in the then-new Supra, when he looked in his mirror and saw the Tercel slowly closing on him. It was Phil Hill at the wheel, and he passed the Supra and went on his way. Skill trumps equipment...

But in fact, a situation like this occurs very seldom in normal driving. Put Phil Hill in his Tercel and the writer in the Supra and have them both try to merge from an onramp into a hole in traffic travelling at 65-70 mph, and the outcome is likely to be different.

Actually, here is where the 0-60 time is useful information. It is not that you often go from 0 to 60 as fast as you can, but the 0-60 time gives you a reasonable idea of how fast it will go from 20-60 or 20-70 (merging) or 30-80 (passing). Actually, 5-60 or 10-60 (i.e. rolling start) would be even better because it eliminates the "floor it and drop the clutch" or the "brake-torque it and slip your foot off the brake" element.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Of course you're correct re: Tercel. Just trying to make a point. I will say I never had problems merging my 90HP '83 GTI. I very much question any 'need' for more than 200 HP, especially given the current situation re: gas prices, etc. I wish automakers had stuck with the previous 3 liter standard on V6's instead of moving to 3.5 liter.
    I have been told -- by folks right here on this very site, that my belief in the new higher prices for the '08 CTS are unlikely.

I believe the new CTS will be, [non-permissible content removed] for tat, several thousand dollars more (at MSRP) than the outgoing CTS.

I want to be wrong.

The content of the new CTS as outlined and detailed, in some cases, on the Cadillac web site (the micro site) is a step up. This will cost, yes?

The real proof will be to configure a 2007 CTS with "all the toys" and a similarly equipped 2008 CTS -- in my case I would add the 300HP engine and AWD which I am confident will add cost, but that is not the cost I am speaking of -- I think the new CTS is more car in every way, it just HAS to cost more.

Again, I hope to be wrong.
    With four Audi schools and one BMW school under our belts, my wife and I come away from these schools, er, "afraid, very afraid."

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, after all.

On day one of the most recent BMW school in South Carolina, the first exercise is "simple." The object is to fully engage the ABS to a full and complete stop.

If I'm lying, I'm dyin' -- even with four runs and up to four repeat tries -- about 1/2 the class either could not or would not engage ABS fully and maintain full engagement to a full and complete stop.

That was the first exercise the first morning. Inducing and controlling understeer? Fughetaboudit!

High speed lane changes -- OMG, the flying cones!

Yes, we ALL improved -- I was hardly the class champeen, don't think that. What was most disturbing was the apparent inability or lack of willingness to even attempt to learn how ABS (or whatever the exercise was) feels, or how to undo understeering, etc.

My wife and I left wondering how the rest of the population really reacts when full on breaking or understeer recovery would come in "handy."

It would seem to me, our conclusions or observations (many of us here, that is) in terms of driving skills are dead on.

We need to make getting a driving permit much more of a skills based endeavor. Not likely to happen -- yet we continue to produce more "capable" cars for drivers who don't keep up.

The CTS will just add to the number of capable cars driven by, apparently, people with decades old driving skills.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I will add that it's those small cars with manual gearboxes and not a lot of power that makes you learn those skills early on. Now, with everyone driving a monster boat-o-barge SUV, skills go out the window.

The truth is... how they react is.. they don't and end up crashing.

With the proper technique, you could manage to ride a *motorcycle* in the snow or on ice. With the wrong technique, you can fly off the road on a nice sunny day.
    With four Audi schools and one BMW school under our belts, my wife and I come away from these schools, er, "afraid, very afraid."

As a little plug, those who are interested in discussion track days, HPDEs, racing, and just about any other motorsports or performance oriented driving, we have a Motorsports section now open! I'd really like to focus on HPDEs, Drag Racing, Auto-x etc. So c'mon over!

-Mike
    Mike, have you ever taken a CTS-V, for a spin pal ?

Rocky
    Yup, I've driven one of my student's CTS-Vs at the track. Nice car, a bit soft/disconnected steering on-track but overall a decent on-track car. If they weren't so expensive and I lived below the Mason-Dixon line it would be on my list of cars to own. Still though, throw in just a bit of rain, and I'll run all over one at the track with my 94 Legacy.

-mike
    Yep, I suppose the Legacy, will out run one in the rain...Well until you put on 4 rain tires on the CTS-V :P

The 2009' CTS-V could have as much as 600 hp. Now that will be one impressive car and as I've said before if the car can some how maintain it's current MSRP price I might be a owner of one. ;)

Rocky
    Here is the thing, with 600hp, it's really only good for one thing, drag racing. Oh and even with rain tires the legacy would be all over a CTS-V on the road course.

If they do sell a CTS-V with 600hp you can bet with options it'll tip the price to >$50k maybe even as high as $60k or more. Look at the SLR-V that is priced >$100k, last time I checked anyway.

Can anyone guess my favorite part on the CTS-V?

-Mike
    Here is the thing, with 600hp, it's really only good for one thing, drag racing. Oh and even with rain tires the legacy would be all over a CTS-V on the road course.

600 hp. is useable for more than just Drag Racing. :P

I agree in a road course the Legacy would eat the CTS-V's lunch. However on a large road with moderate turns the "V" would out power your legacy with rain shoes. :blush:

If they do sell a CTS-V with 600hp you can bet with options it'll tip the price to >$50k maybe even as high as $60k or more.

Well they cost $52K now. My best guess would me in the mid to high $50K range. Ya know maybe $56-58K seems about right.

Look at the SLR-V that is priced >$100k, last time I checked anyway.

You mean the XLR-V convertible or the STS-V ? The XLR-V starts at $79K and the STS-V strts at $77K

Can anyone guess my favorite part on the CTS-V?

I would guess the manual shifter ? ;)

Rocky
    I agree in a road course the Legacy would eat the CTS-V's lunch. However on a large road with moderate turns the "V" would out power your legacy with rain shoes.

Yup like I said "Drag" racing.

You mean the XLR-V convertible or the STS-V ? The XLR-V starts at $79K and the STS-V strts at $77K

XLR-V convertible. According to Cadillac.com it starts at $98,300 Just "built" one with Silver color and Black leather, $100,000 on the nose.

I would guess the manual shifter ?
    Engine and trans are nice, but they are useless without the Brembos! :)

-mike
    My mistake I must of clicked the wrong XLR, as not the V. Regardless the CTS-V is a nice automobile but not as nice as the 09' is going to be. :shades:

Rocky
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    Rocky / Ranger:

Car & Driver 2008 CTS

According to C&D article (link above) the rear legroom is up by an inch or so. I read somewhere that this is due the new "slimline" design of front seatbacks. Rear shoulder room is also about an inch wider as overall width grows by 2" or so. Legroom difference may not mean much, though, unless there's some lateral foot room under the front seats. With all the electric motors and stuff under there, it's pretty crowded under there in my 2003. My concern is more about rear headroom, which I can't imagine will be any better due to the sleeker design of the C-pillar.

But then again, what do I care, since I'm usually in the driver's seat? :shades:

Can't wait for the GM Dealerworld site to be updated to check out the option bundling, etc. 2008 STS, SRX and XLR have been up since April 2. The suspense is killing me! Watch this link!

Online Ordering Guide
    ... is up.
    Your Local Dealer ought to now be able to answer many questions...
    - Ray
    Waiting for the CTS-v variant....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I was just getting ready to post that. This car has impressive equipment levels. The good thing is you can get almost all of the options on either car so you arent limited.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    The good thing is you can get almost all of the options on either car so you arent limited.

And that's the way it should be. Give me some choice in how I configure my car. Unlike Acura which is "all or nothing."