Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Basic Maintenance Questions

jeepcruiserjeepcruiser Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Hello,
I have a 95 4runner California version v6 with 143K miles. I got the famous code 25 and it is driving me crazy. I checked the resistance values of O2 sensors per (Toyota 4runner manual)front of catalytic is 5.6 ohms and rear of catalytic is 16.2 ohms. are these reading within normal range? can anyone verify this for me? i hate buying O2 sensors if i don't have to. any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
Please advise.

Jeepcruiser.

Comments

• ekirkwoodekirkwood Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 4runner with the V-6 engine and would like to relocate the oil filter. Trying to find a product.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While waiting for a reply here you may also want to check Got a Quick, Technical Question?.

tidester, host
  • jmorabito25jmorabito25 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone believe that you should be following the 4runner suggested maintenance schedule that Toyota offers.

What truly should be done at the 30K mile interval?
    Check out Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jmorabito25jmorabito25 Member Posts: 4
    Should one follow this schedule strictly? I noticed that it recommends that I change my spark plugs at 30K....
    Those would be the recommendations of the manufacturer.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hellboundhellbound Member Posts: 2
    Do not know if you did this or not since it is an old post but here is a link to a kit for doing this.

http://www.performanceproducts.com/productpage.aspx?pid=104381&name=Oil+Filter+R- elocation+Kit
  • ncmarkncmark Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 4runner that has 208,000 miles. Recently I changed the plugs due to skipping and found 2, both tied to the same coil, with cracked insulators. Upon replacing, the new plugs immediately cracked the insulators, same 2 cylinders. I replaced the coil with the same results! Now what?
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    What brand of plugs are you using? And when you say "immediately", after driving for say 5 or so miles or right after start up?
    I had run Bosch Platinum dual tip for about one year before a skip developed. When replacing the plugs, the right front and left rear both had cracks in the insulators. I replaced with the same Bosch plug and within 5 miles the skip was back and in the same two cylinders. I replaced the coil thinking that had to be the cause and this time it took about 10 miles before the skip came back. Same cylinders.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    When you replaced the coil, you also replaced the coil wire correct? If not, I'd suspect the coil wire boot (where it attaches to the plug) is faulty. You can visually inspect that and look for a "carbon" tracks.

Also, I'd try switching back to the OEM plugs...just to test and see if it happens with those.
    I've heard of some people having problems with the Bosch dual tips and personally, I'd stick with OEM.
    Let us know.
    I visited the Toyota dealer today and purchased 6 new plugs. So far so good. I will update you in about a week if there is still no problem. Thanks.
  • leonchinleonchin Member Posts: 10
    but can not you find a product in your located?
  • FuturRnFuturRn Member Posts: 1
    I can not figure out where the bolts are to take off the dashboard in my 1990 toyota 4runner to replace the blowe switch. Any answere please let me know
  • rainyday4rainyday4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have a 98 4 Runner - Have not used the phone charger in the car for a long time and just bought and tried to use a cell phone charger - nothing happened. Assuming that the charger is not defective what could be wrong? Could it be a fuse and if not what else could it be. Thanks
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    Not being a smart [non-permissible content removed] but in my 06 there is a button on the left hand side of the dash that you push that turns the outlet on, did you push it? Not sure if it is on the 98 model though.
  • wconlinwconlin Member Posts: 2
    I have 96K miles and just have had the full 100K service prompted by leaking water pump. Car is running perfect. I just put on new tires all around. At 40 to 70 mph hearing a pulsing noise. Thought it was tires and had them replaced and balanced again, still hearing low grade pulsing noise. It is not a heavy grinding or clicking and only hear in that mileage range. Could the differential make this type of noise?
This discussion has been closed.