Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    I got the sport model with everything on it including the spoiler. I didn't want or need the 4 wheel active steering or spoiler, but at the time it was the only way I could get a sport model with Nav and Tech from a dealer who would honor the VPP pricing. I figured that eventhough it was more than I needed...it was still cheaper than trying to straight up negotiate for a car that would have less features.
  • py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    Wow, you guys are so quick. I heard that G37 sedan rumor, and I am really bothered by it. I am gonna get one real soon, but this is making me think twice....

It's not about the extra horsepowers, you get what you buy and can't always wait for faster and better. However, if they roll out a G37 sedan and stop the production of G35 sedan in 08, the resell value of the car would be down to nothing.

I don't think BMW did that. The sedan model was couple years already then they roll out the new engine...
  • irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    According to some websites, Infiniti has allready registered the designations M37, FX37, along with the soon to be released G37 coupe. Since the M and FX allready have 45 versions also with the 8 cylinder, who knows if there'll be a G45 also instead of a higher output G37? It figures the rumored G37 sedan would follow along these lines as well and I would be upset at that, having purchased my 07 Sport/Premium in December 06 whose model line I expected to last longer than 1-2 years.

For the time being however, I'm enjoying the heck out of my G right now, a blast to drive every time I get in it. There will always be aftermarket products also that sure can increase hP.
  • carfanatic17carfanatic17 Member Posts: 32
    BMW did upgrade their engines after one year. the 2005 was the old body style. It changed to the new body style in 2006, then they upgraded the engines for 2007. Check out the comparison I did here: BMW Model Comparison You can clearly see the different body styles from 2005 to 2006 and the different engines (Technical Specs tab) from 2006 to 2007. My friend has a 2006 325 and he is not happy, because for 2007 it became a 328 (+15 in HP and torque). My point is, that an upgrade after one model year has been done for even the "best" of cars, and I'm really wondering if Infiniti will do the same.

Either way, I think I'm waiting for the 2008 model. If they up the engine, great. If not, I sure I'll be more than satisfied. But that engine upgrade will be in place within a couple of years, if not for 2008 definitely. But like someone said earlier, you have to jump in sometime.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    No matter what happens, I do not expect my value to go down to nothing.
    And in the meantime, I'll wave to all the folks waiting on the sidelines, as I go zooming by.

I love my G and it was so worth the wait.
    What's the deal with the 4 wheel active steer package? Do you know anything about it? Is it worth the extra money and weight? Of what I know, I would say no, but I have to admit, I know very little about it.
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    I have the 4was, I like it and it's worth the money. here's a video, and it does do this, there's also some video's in Japanese that compared two G35S one with and one without, the 4was package was faster on Solomons and curving roads. it really does work.

The variable steering ratio is fantastic!

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/INTRODUCTION/DETAILS/4WAS/index.html

From my understanding, the G35 is the only car that has a 4 wheel active steer system, I've heard BMW's active steer is mechanical and not 4 wheels. The M45 only has rear wheel active steer.
    Is there a difference in ride between the G35S and the Sport with the 4WAS?
    not as far as suspension is concerned. but there is a better handling difference.
    Are there any other opinions on the 4WAS? I guess I am going to have to test drive a Sport with and without it to figure out which one I like best.
    You can't test drive it. it's special order only.
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    I'm having a hard time deciding what color my G will be. I love the black and the way it shines in that deep black tone. I just dont know if I can handle the maintenance on it. I'm worried of the swirl marks and little scratches that may arise that really stand out in the black. I dont mind spending a few hours providing the proper care, I just dont know if i'll have the time to do it on a regular basis.

I also love the blue slate, new color for this year so not to many out there yet and the trim tends to stand out in it. however,it also tends to look rather BLAH, on cloudy days but will be easier to keep looking clean for a longer period of time than the black.

The liq. plat. was a third option. no offense to anyone out there with it but everyone out here in my area with a coupe or 06 prior sedan seems to have that color. I got two neighbors with a liq. plat. coupe.
    Right know i'm leaning for the slate but wanted to check with some of the black obs. owners how difficult has it been to keep the car looking new. I guess it all depends on how much care and time one puts into it. Dont think I can go wrong with either color.
    Well, Black is what it is.
    Stunning when it's spotless, not so stunning when it's not.

I just picked up my Blue Slate.
    I saw it online, saw it in pics, and saw it at the dealer.
    I was also on the Liq Platinum fence.
    It reminded me of an Altima too much.

The Slate is awesome.
    Like you said, it's just nice on cloudy days, but in the sun, it's absolutely amazing.
    It changes color as the angle changes.
    I love it!

Good luck with your decision.
    The color thing stumped me for a long time as well.
    In my opinion, black is an absolute nightmare. It does look good when it's clean, but even then every little imperfection shows up. I will never buy a black car again. I'm leaning towards the Blue Slate or Platinum graphite. I love the Liquid Platinum, i'm just worried that way too many people have silver cars.
    Well I went with the a 07 Sport in Black, and while I don't regret my decision, the black is not exactly the best black either, it's a solid flat black and not a metallic black. I think the blueslate is the best if you want to go dark and the Pearl white is the next best color choices currently offered.

Black can take a lot more dust and mild dirt then most give it credit for, and nothing at all cleans up like black. so there's a trade off, but I am a tiny bit disappointed in the actual black paint used, it's a little too flat and I wish they would have done a metallic black.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    :confuse: If the black is "not exactly the best black...", why would you go with that, especially if it's not metallic black?

I traded a very dark Lexus in on my 07 G35x and I bought the Pearl white. There is absolutely no way that I would ever go with another dark color! Before the Lexus I had an Avalon in Pearl White & loved it. I regretted getting the dark Lexus - it looked great but then the constant cleaning started...what a horrible experience.

If you don't mind washing/waxing a lot, you'll probably get plenty of exercise. If you do mind it, you may regret it getting that color. At any rate, good luck!
  • ttmttm Member Posts: 3
    First off, thank you all for all your talk about the 07 g35 on these boards, though I just set up a user account I used these boards to help determine my purchase of my 07 G35 which I've officially had for 1 month and 2 days.

So I got my tint job done at a place called Sun Shield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks - 4704 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 - TEL - 8189068468, its right next to the 101 freeway. It was recommended by a friend. Did a great job for $155.00 out the door. I thought this was cheap and got a little worried about the quality, but from seeing the star pictures on the wall giving their thanks to the place (people like Frankie Muniz malcom in the middle dude) who I know is a car freak made me feel better. Also the BMW M6 that was getting done ahead of me made me feel better, I talked to the M6 owner and he said that he'd been coming there for 20 years. Also they main dude there Jose said don't worry we do almost all the dealerships down on Van Nuys Blvd, including Nissan and Infiniti.

I would recommend the place and the price is nice. I think it turned out great! By the way I got a black G35 so tint was a must to make it look proper!
    If the black is "not exactly the best black...", why would you go with that, especially if it's not metallic black?

I went with it because I wanted black, and even knowing this, it's still my choice of color. There are not a lot of colors to choose from and having had a few gray cars I did not one of the three gray variants (LP, PG, BS) and I didn't want the sand or red color. my decision was either black or white and I chose Black. I'm happy with my choice, but I could see how those on the fence about going with black, should NOT, you may be disappointed in the Infiniti black.
    The dealer here in Atlanta let me take a black G35 sport for a few hours back in Dec. when I purchased mine. It had a black interior, and so I thought there was simply too much black and no contrast with anything else (which I agree shows a lot of dirt and inperfections). I had actually signed the papers, but changed my mind at the last minute and opted for the blue slate sport (Black interior). I do think a black colored vehicle looks really sharp chromed out: chrome wheels, chrome mirror covers, and with the chrome around the windows, I have no doubt would stand out nicely among the crowd of new G35's I'm now starting to see on the road here. I do agree with the flat black comment mentioned here-why not a metallic black? The infiniti black is simply dull.
    I posted some pics of my Slate Blue onto my carspace page...
    http://www.carspace.com/scottm123
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    Hey Scott, the pic look awesome. sounds like you have been enjoying your ride. have fun playing with all those gadgets in the car, should keep you busy for a few months. still deciding on the black or blue. If I get the Slate, you dont have to worry about me pulling up next to you in a light as you are half way across the country. (let me check my map). Although the black can be problematic to maintain, It sure looks elegant when cleaned up and would disagree with the statement that it is a "nightmare". The flat paint may make me pass on it but every time I see a black car showing off its shine, it makes me say- "I got to get the Black".
  • mrg2mrg2 Member Posts: 29
    Here's my two cents on the color choices. I spent a lot of time making the decision, but am very happy with my choice, which was Platinum Graphite. Maybe this will help someone else out there, although color choice is very subjective. My thoughts were:
    - Prefered to stay away from dark color because of how dark colors show dirt and scratches. Although my second choice probably would have been the blue slate. The PG is pretty good with not showing the dirt.
    - I went with the Sport model and was going for a sportier look, and I think the PG fits the bill.
    - Personally, I'm not crazy about lots of chrome, andthe lighter colors don't make the chrome stand out as much as a dark color.
    - it was a different color than I've had before.
    - it's a new color for 07.
    I also loved the Platinum Graphite and it was my second choice.
    I ended up with the Slate because when I looked the PG, I was instantly reminded of my friend's Altima, which was very similar in color.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Very nice, Scott!!
    Has anyone heard anything about lawsuits against Infiniti for charging for sport suspensions but not actually installing them?
    Haven't heard that, no...
    And I hear Evvvvvvvv-errrrr-ryyyyyyy Thing
    :P :P :P
  • the_g_manthe_g_man Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know of either a national Infiniti enthusiasts club or a local one (Los Angeles)? I've been wanting to participate in a track day event, and I've been told the easiest and least expensive way to do so is by participarting in a car club event.
    Where did you hear that? :surprise:
    I didn't. I wanted to know if anyone else had heard it. :shades:

Someone asked me if I had run into that in our discussions. I don't know where the question came from to begin with. My reply was that if the G35 folks had heard of this, I'd know it, and I've never heard this. So I was asked to check with you since you guys, as Scott said, hear Evvvvvvvv-errrrr-ryyyyyyy Thing. ;)
    Does anyone know anything about the AUX inputs in the center console? Is it true that you can play video through them?
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Yes...you can play video thru it as long as you aren't moving and the car is in park.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    And the parking brake set... right?
  • linglelingle Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out whether the Smart Key fob for the G35 Coupe is interchangable with the one for the M35/M45?

The FCC Number for the G35 is KBRTN001 and for the M isKR55WK48903.

Please help....
  • sacg35sacg35 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. New to the forum. Purchased a 2007 G35 journey with premium, Black with sand interior, back in December. Already has 8000 miles and loving it. Recently put a set of black rims. Moved up from the standard 17 inch wheels to a set of 18s. Car looks and drives great.
    Correct.
    Car must be in park with the parking brake set.
    Hey sacg35,

Congrats on the car.
    I picked up my G35x Prem/Nav/Tech/Rosewood last Tuesday and the smile has not left my face since.

Awesome car... and welcome to the forums. :)
    Someone help me out here: Since I purchased my 07 Sport, I've fiddled around with the paddle shifts, trying to make the driving experience a bit more sporty. Recently, I've taken to driving with the paddle shifts at least one entire trip to or from work. Now I know some will say, if I had wanted a manual stick shift, I should have bought the manual in the first place, but I've never driving stick shift in my life. I simply can't seem to get the hang of it.

When is the right time to downshift or upshift to speed up quickly or slow down? Is it all a matter of timing. Even when I downshift to speed up (i.e. 4th gear at 50mph, downshift, and speed up at higher RPM), it doesn't feel very fast. Maybe it takes experience with a real manual shift/clutch to better get a grasp on this.
  • ddnyddny Member Posts: 20
    Been driving my '07 G35x, it's pretty nice, feels/sounds like a race car, but...

My question - what RPMs does yours run at at 60 or 70? For instance, mine runs at 3,000 @ 60mph, which to me seems preposterous, as if it's running in 3rd or 4th gear.

I want to know if these all do this, or is me car broken?

Thanks all!
    dvd
    it's the same for everyone, take a look at it again, it's 3000 RPM for 75mph. High-Rev engines should run at this RPM. don't worry, it's not costing you any more in gas.
    I don't know how these paddle shift thingy works, but coming from a MT perspective trying to make sense out of your question. If I were driving a MT, down shifting won't make the car any faster, it still stay at your speed at just higher RPM. Any gear could be driven at 50mph, so it matters what you do when you are down shifting...

Probably didn't ans your question, but what is the question anyway? :confuse: lol.
    althought any gear can be driven at 50mph, your not getting th performance out of being in 5th gear. I think what he's asking is when to downshift to get acceleration.

Here's what I do

1st gear is zero to 40mph, only down shift to 1st if less then 20mph.

2nd gear is 40-60mph, downshift if between 20-50mph.

3rd gear is 60-above legal limit, downshift if 50-75MPH.

4th and 5th gear are only after you've reached speed and want to drop RPM. 5th gear is for cruizing and track use only don't ever use 5th for performance acceleration.

Hope that helps, those are the ranges you will get the greatest acceleration. if your doing 60 on the highway and want to pass, drop to 3rd, shift ti 4th at redline or after pass.
  • desidoggdesidogg Member Posts: 26
    What are the consequences if one does try to accelerate from 5th gear? I know you'd be much slower but is it damaging to the engine?
    no it's perfectly fine to accelerate in 5th gear. I think the worst thing that would happen is you would use a lot more fuel then if you were in the proper RPM range giving you really bad gas mileage. The excessive amounts of fuel can lead to gumming up the engine and pushing more out the exhaust which tends to damage sensors (i.e. oxygen) and the exhaust system. But I think you would have to do A LOT of low RPM acceleration to really see this happen.
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    I've read in numerous reviews stories about the G35 having higher-than-average road noise. I have test driven the car but don't have a good opportunity to test drive it on the highway. I love the performance, but as a practical matter I'll be doing 60 minutes /day of commuting on highways and need to have business conversations on my cell much of the way. Not eager to have a car with unusually high road noise. It may be that the higher road noise in some way is connected to the great performance, but if so I'd like to understand this in advance. Anyone who can give me a comparison of noise in the cabin (from road, wind, whatever) at 70 MPH in this car as compared to an average sedan (like an Accord, etc.)?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    This is my first Infiniti (a G35x)and am plesantly surprised at the quietness. Have been Toyota owner (very quiet) and Lexus (ES=much quieter than Toyota) for years and years. Before the Toyota/Lexus I owned Honda's (extremely noisy) and considered Acura (as noisy as the Honda), which is why I bought Toyota/Lexus. But now I have the G35 and I find it as quiet as the Toyota, but not the Lexus. At 80 I find I'm able to use the Bluetooth with no problems. Against a Honda or Acura, I firmly believe the Infiniti blows both away, but the Lexus still has the edge overall.
  • sacg35sacg35 Member Posts: 3
    I was pretty shocked the first time I was cruising on the freeway at 70 and noticed how high the RPM was (2900-3000). The problem is that the 5th gear is pretty short and not a true overdrive, thus, the mpg is not that great. In return, you get that great acceleration. I get about 21.4 mpg average so far with 30/70 street/freeway driving so I guess its all good.
    The road noise complaints were against the previous generation. the consensus on the 2007 sedans is that it is quieter then both Acura TL and BMW, but a little noisier then the IS. I do 85 and have no issues listening to music or using bluetooth.
    Accelerating or climbing long hills in too high of a gear also causes issues with the cat, and causes that awful sulfur smell that sometimes occurs.
    This can also occur in an automatic, if you don't give the car enough gas to cause it to downshift when necessary.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    From reading only, I think Infiniti would do well to offer a 6 speed auto (or even a greater number of gears) to mitigate the high revs at highway speed.

I say this based on my own experiences between 5 speeds in the past and a 6 speed today, although with a different brand.

Any insights on Infiniti upgrading their automatic transmissions?

Thanks
    Bruce
    I don't see 3000 RPM on a "high rev" motor as an issue or risk, no need to mitigate. 6 & 7 speed just add weight and more complication. 5 speed is fine where it's at. it's not like you would get any better gas mileage, what's the point of going with a 6/7 speed?