Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• Options
    triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for verifying for me scott, i guess i was chicken to really tug at them only having it one day. I went back and tugged a little harder and they went back. but like you stated, not all the way like most cars and not enough to really make any difference. i guess the movement it has might be in case someone walking to close to your car that bumps your mirrors it will bend to prevent damage either way. But its not enough to give you any extra space in tight quarters.

I also just noticed driving at night for the first time that there are two small lights next to the interior light buttons. I tried pressing all kinds of buttons to turn them off but could not find any way to do so. Are these two pinhole lights always on at night or did I have some map light on that I could not find. Manual does not provide any info: :confuse:
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    2 words... Ambient lighting. :D

These lights turn on at night, with your other lights, and add a soft glow to the interior.
    It's very soft and subtle, but adds a nice touch.
    My Acura MDX has Blue lighting, with these same LEDs, and the TL Type-S had Red lighting.

Don't you just love the lighting in the G at night?
    Takes on a whole new look & feel.
    I wish I was on the road more at night!

I also tried folding my mirrors in and chickened out after applying what I thought was too much pressure.
    Then, I got my new LED bulbs and was trying to figure out how to open the map light lens covers and found the outside mirror blurb in the manual.
    I went back and tried again, and they folded. :)
  • Options
    This is what I bought, in case you're looking out for them as well.

LED Bulbs on Ebay
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The Lexus ES350 has similar lights on the overhead console. Additionally (and very classy) on the 350 the map lights are only small holes in the overhead focused on the driver and passenger which are white led's...probably the diameter of a magic marker. The rear seat lights are the same, about 3 in a row which focus a soft white light, but not enough for reading. Lexus has some very nice touches which I wish Infiniti would adopt like the interior and puddle lamps (beneath the outside mirrors) come on automatically when you approach the car with the key fob; additionally, you only have to touch (not push a button) on the door and the car is unlocked.
    Z
  • Options
    KRing,
    Did I see you inquiring about a low profile moonroof visor yesterday?
    Just curious if that's you (1) and if you plan on ordering one (2).

Thanks
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Yup, that's me. I'm committed to getting one, just not sure on that model, I was hoping to get some feedback on a few mfgr's. I might order next week if I don't hear anything further on a low profile wind deflector for the sunroof.

The G gets 1 present a week, this week it was the Weathertech liner, I don't want to spoil her :)
  • Options
    Yup. I'm committed to getting one, but would like to see all the options first. it looks like everyone's waiting on me to be the guinea pig :) I'm not sure how much more low profile this one is vs. the OEM. Anyone know of a good low profile sunroof wind deflector?

Here's the one i've found Click Here

I've already purchased the Weathertech liner this week, I don't want to spoil my G ! I'll give it a few more days for feedback and then place an order.
  • Options
    I thought that was you.
    KRing is a unique name... little chance of findings another, also from CT. ;)

I'm also liking that front lip spoiler.
    Hate the price and shipping costs from Japan though.
  • Options
    I was just checking status on my weathertech liner. how long did it take for yours to arive?

also while there I see they have good low profile deflectors, but not for the 2007. However I think it's the same as 2006, I put an email into them for a new product request on the 07 G. I'm also checking with the dealer to see if the 2006 OEM will fit the 2007.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, not trying to be rude or anything but I've never understood sunroof deflectors. Why would you open the roof just to deflect wind away from it? Why not just leave the roof closed in that case?
  • Options
    no problem, the deflectors accomplish 2 things. 1) reduce the general wind noise created by the air rushing over the roof and 2) it eliminates Baffling, which is that thumping compression that happens in the cabin where the air blows into the cabin creating a back pressure, it's really annoying and the only way to alleviate it is to open one of the back windows. The issue with the rear open window is you have a lot of air moving in and out of the car which makes it uncomfortable for most people, especially women with long hair.

The deflector basically makes the wind noise non-existent, even at 80 mph you can still hold a normal conversation. and because the air is deflected over the back of the sunroof opening it eliminates the Baffing.

I know they are not a good looking addition to a car, but they definitely have a real world benefit to being used.

The G is especially bad at wind noise. at 60MPH you can not hear the radio any longer and you have to full-out yell at someone in the passenger seat.
  • Options
    My wife had one on her Accord, and it helped the sound and wind enormously.
    I did not like, however, the grit and stuff that it allows to sit on the car's finish, around where it seals to the top of the car.

This is one option I may skip, just for that reason alone.
  • Options
    Sorry, never even saw this question, must have gotten caught in a page change.
    Anywho, mine took about a week or so.
    It was shipped on April 19, and I had it in my hands on April 24.

I got a cryptic email from FedEx stating that my package had been shipped, but I had no idea who or what this was for.
    The email stated my product was being shipped from "Macneil Automotive Prod".
    I had ordered a few different things that week, so I had no idea what this was.
    I tracked the package until it arrived, and only then did I know it was from WeatherTech.

I have not needed them, but I've heard that their Customer Service is great, so I'd expect an email back from them soon.
  • Options
    LOL.
    I want to buy my G some Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Wax, but at $79.99 for an 8 oz jar, I'm also worried about spoiling the car. (Or having the wife find out I spent $80 on wax)

I'm thinking that a custom Sirius install like THIS ONE is in my G's near future.

XM is boring the hell out of me.
  • Options
    It's on sale this week for $69! and free shipping if you get the bill of to $95... Cmon' Christine says do it. ;) pm me your email and I'll forward you the email with the promotion.

The stuff is amazing and it lasts very long, you'll have it for 5 years. it's amazing on the dark colors. I wouldn't recommend on anything lighter then blue slate, unless of course it's a bright yellow red or blue. I tried using it on a silver car like LP and you couldn't tell it was even on. Most amazing wet look.

My 3 months with XM ends next week and I won't be renewing, programing is piss-poor. all the DJ's use fake voices and yap, it feels like I'm listening to regular FM. Sirius has much better programing. not to mention the sound quality of Sirius is far better then XM.

I'm sure I'll get 30 lashings for brining this up, but I'm being honest and if XM was better I'd much rather have it since it's integrated into the car.

BTW that's the nicest Sirius install I've seen yet. If it's too expensive, keep in mind you can have Sirius installed into the G if your willing to loose the Nav-traffic. it's been confirmed as working, the only change is you still need to install a sirius antenna, the OEM sharkfin supposedly doesn't work
  • Options
    I saw the $69- promotion, but some of the guys in another forum say that it goes on sale about twice a year, and can be had for about $40-.
    That, I'm waiting for.
    Right now, my car has numerous coats of Z-5, Z-2 & Z-6.
    Last night, I snuck into the garage, and put on a coat of NXT wax, and I was amazed with the results.
    The car looks soaking wet now.

I had heard that wax on top of Zaino does wonders, but this was my first attempt.
    I'm happy enough with the results to not be tempted with the $10 discount on the Pinnacle.... but I'm still waiting for the big sale. ;)
  • Options
    For the edification of all, the June 07 issue of CR rates upscale sedans: G35, Lexus ES, Nissan 3.5SL, Lincoln MKZ, Buick Lucerne CXS & Saab 9-5.....guess who is rated tops?
    Z
  • Options
    cwise1591cwise1591 Member Posts: 3
    No, because the chip that is inside the remote is only allowed to open the car that it is from no others.
  • Options
    imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    Not sure if this is a problem, but thought I'd put it out there. When using (the standard) cruise control on a hilly highway it is not smooth going downhill. While it keeps the car at the desired speed, it feels somewhat "herky jerky." It almost feels as if the engine is periodically "braking" to keep it at the set speed.

I've owned Nissan products before (2 Altimas and 1 240sx) and have never felt anything like this before. It feels very unsophisticated.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone explain if this is normal for this car? Can anyone explain "technically" what is happening in the engine/transmission to cause this?
  • Options
    rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Was looking at the pics on the Infiniti site thinking maybe when the 2006 goes in I'll get a 2008 Coupe.... After all they moved the seat controls so I don't have to feel that panel on the right leg anymore.

On the front end pic it looks like there are ridge bones running down the fenders and inside of the headlight clusters. Kinda reptilian looking. Not sure I like it.

Roll
  • Options
    wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Hey Guys -- the salesman at the dealership said you dont need to put premium gas. He said, you can put non premium gas and the engine will not knock. He said, you will lose a couple of HP, thats it. Aside from that, he said its perfectly fine.

What do you guys think? and what do u guys put?
  • Options
    desidoggdesidogg Member Posts: 26
    He is right... I have been using regular gas now for past 3 months. No problems and no knocking. I ahvent noticed any problems with acceleration either. To me this is a no brainer.
  • Options
    InTeReStiNg...

Now in regards to breaking the car-in, do you think its a good idea putting non premium gas during this period? or it doesnt really matter at all?
  • Options
    You also loose MPG with lower gas in addition to the power.

Typically, it's a wash in the end, you pay a little less but you can't go as far, so you need an extra gallon to equal the distance that premium gets you for the extra $3.00 at fill up. with Regular gas at $3.00/gal.. your break even except for the fact you have less power, it's minimal... but the truth is there is no benefit to going with lower grade gas. It also doesn't burn as clean because it's easier to detonate low grade gas.
  • Options
    No this is clearly wrong... Regular grade gas does NOT give you worse MPG... You lose a few horsepower so your acceleration is off by a few tenths of a second. Everything else is same.
  • Options
    I'm with KRING5.... this is correct.
    I also have an 06 Acura MDX which recommends 91 or higher octane.
    91 is not easy to find in my area, so I was using 93.
    With last summers gas prices, I started using 89 instead, trying to save a buck or 2 with each fill-up.

Very soon after my change in gasoline, I noticed a drop in MPG. I went from 22-23 per gallon on the highway, to 17-18 MPG.
    I did this for about 6 months and I have since gone back to 93 octane, and my mileage is back up now as well.

You lose MPG ratings when you drop down below the recommended octane level.

Infiniti has recommended 91 or higher but also states that if you cannot find 91 or higher, that 87 can be used.
    They note in the manual that you will notice a drop in performance if you choose to run 87 octane.

I bought my G for it's performance and driving characteristics.
    If I was shopping with economy in mind, I would have chosen a different car.
  • Options
    THanks for the replies guys. THis is awesome.

I would have never known that.. about losing MPG when putting lower octane gas. Im definately gonna put 91 all the way when I get my G.
  • Options
    Hey Guys -- About Tinting.. Do you guys think its important to have the dealership tint your G35 vs. an independent auto place?

I hear in order to tint the windows, they remove the glass from the door and then tint it. I am concerned about the tinter not being familiar with G35 door.. which may lead to damage to the inner electronics of the door... such as, the stereo, windows, etc.

I know the downside to getting the dealership to tint is that its more expensive, or they hire another independent auto store, but at least, I would think, that the person they get it done from is familiar with the G.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    No, I disgree.

There is no difference in MPG between regular grade and premium gasolines. Do your tests and draw your own conlcusions. You do lose some performance, but using regular grade gasoline does not harm your engine not does it decrease your MPG. Feel free to use whatever gasoline you want, but dont make false claims as to the reasons why you do so.
  • Options
    If you get a dealership to tint the windows, you'll probably pay twice as much. Go to an aftermarket outfit and pay less. An aftermarket place doesn't care what whether you have a G, H or F - windows in cars are pretty much the same and if you go to a place with a good reputation, you won't have problems.

I hear in order to tint the windows, they remove the glass from the door and then tint it
    Wow, what were they smoking when they told you that?? Not true at all.

Now I'm sure you'll probably ask what is a good tint? There's lots out there, 3M seems to be the best known. If you search on "tint" on all of the obvious forums for Infiniti, you'll get lots of hits with different brands. I had my G35x done with Huper Optik ceramic tint which cuts out lots of heat, probably more than 3M - but it also costs about twice as much, depending on where you have it done. And no, the tint doesn't hose up nav or XM - I've had about 5 cars with different tints with nav & XM and never had a problem.
    Z
  • Options
    There's no false claims being made but you are free to disagree.

It's your car. Put anything you want in it.

Only comment made by me was with the Acura MDX, MPG dropped with 89 and went back up with 91.

No false claims, just my experience.

BTW, who buys a performance sedan with low MPG ratings (compared to some other cars), and then puts in lesser fuel to drop performace, just to save a few cents?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    Some tint places do require removal of door panels in order to tint the side windows....stay clear from these guys.
    A good tint guy will not need to remove door panels.

Question 1) Have you done any other 07 G35's
    Question 2) Do you need to remove door panels.

I won't let anyone, dealer included, remove door panels or any other panel... unless absolutely necessary.
    That's just a can of rattles waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Oh okay.. my friend isnt crazy then when he said some people remove the door panels to get to the glass.

I called Infiniti and had asked them if they do tinting, they said no, but they told me who they would get it done with if they were going to have a car tinted prior to pick up.

The place they told me was Tint King. I phoned Tint King and luckily, they dont remove the glass. They tint it right on. Although, I highly doubt they have tinted an 07 g35 yet.. I could be wrong.. but in the place I live, I dont seem much 07 G35's just yet..but I will probably go with them. It cost 249 canadian before tax.

10 more days till I get my G!!!

Black on black with black tinted windows.. its gonna be hot! ;)
  • Options
    snagssnags Member Posts: 27
    The g35 is very attractive vehicle but every time I read a review it mentions noise and vibration something that would turn me off at those prices.

For those of you who have one are these criticisms warranted.

Another concern it gas mileage. thank you.
  • Options
    bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    Having owned my 04 G35 Coupe for almost 4 years, and being a conservative driver, I can tell you that it is a very thirsty car. Don't make a purchase for a G35 if you are planning on averaging good mileage. All City will be mid teens. Of Course all highway as most cars will get in the mid and upper 20s but overall this car loves gasoline.
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    Have had my 07 sport since Dec. and nary a problem with noise or vibration. Regarding gas, I just made a trip from Atlanta to Savannah (280 miles one way) and averaged only about 19 mi. per gallon. Of course, I had it on cruise most of the way around 80mph most of the way so perhaps that's actually pretty good...:) This is a sports sedan; its meant to be driven, on a good percentage of ocassions, fast and aggressive, and you'll pay for it in gas $$$. I had an 04 coupe-and this sedan is certainly even more thirstier.
  • Options
    I dont have the car yet, but my g35 is arriving in one week. So I cant speak in regards to shakes and rattles.. but about the Gas... the gas thing really bothered me as well. For about 6 months, I was mulling it over...

but u know what? at the end of the day.. the most important thing is, is that you love the car. Forget the gas... I did. The drive... will put a smile to your face.. day in and day out. I test drove the car.. at least.. 4 times already before I purchased the car, and every time I drove it, it always made me smile.

Even my dad couldnt had the smile when he test drove.. he is cynical over the gas issue as well.. but he was sold when he test drove the car and never brought up the gas thing again. He loved it just as much as I did.

And I promise, if u decide with the G, it'll do the same to ya :)
  • Options
    snagssnags Member Posts: 27
    I didnt mean to say the car is a rattle trap just that some reviews mention noise and vibration and you wouldnt expect this in a car like this . I am just trying get feedback on this issue.

The gas question has been answered and with prices the way they are is certainly a concern.
  • Options
    The vibration report you are hearing about is most likely the 6-Speed manual.
    Some reviews have mentioned that the manual transmission vibrates a little and can be felt up through the stick shift.

My 07 is a G35x 5-Speed auto.
    In Drive, the car is smooth as silk and you can almost not even feel it shift.
    Put in DS or M mode, the car becomes an absolute machine and driving it is pure excitement.... but there is NO vibration at all.

I travel a total of approx 100 miles per day on my commute.
    This is approx 50/50 city/highway driving.
    Most days, I'm in M mode and playing quite a bit. (I can't help it) :blush:
    With this, I'm averaging 19.4 MPG.
    If I calmed down, put it in D and used cruise on the highway, I know I could get that MPG number way up.

This car is worth the extra few bucks per tank!
    Go for it.
  • Options
    The thing is, no matter how you cut it, gas will always be a concern with this car. Wether or not gas is expensive. This car will consume more fuel compared to the next car. Thats what you get for 300+ horses.

So if your main agenda in getting a sport sedan is to save fuel.. then I suggest you look to the IS250. If your in it for the ride,then go for the G.
  • Options
    Get the IS250 if you want a "Sport"y looking sedan.
    Don't get it if you want a Sport Sedan.

The IS was the car I was getting until I found the complete lack of power to be a deal-breaking turnoff.
    And, it doesn't really do that much better than the G anyway.
    Most IS250 AWD owners I talk to are getting anywhere from 17-25 MPG.
    I get that in my G35x now.
  • Options
    Hey scott.. speaking of your G35x, is the G35x as tailhappy as the RWD version?

When I test drove the RWD, I felt the tail happpiness.. but when I test drove the X version, I didnt get that. Maybe I didnt push it hard enough but I dont recall..
  • Options
    BTW, who buys a performance sedan with low MPG ratings (compared to some other cars), and then puts in lesser fuel to drop performace, just to save a few cents?

Hmmm... The fuel price differnce is 250$ a year. If that's insignificant to you then you are rich and you should be looking at a porsche. To me its a no brainer as I cannot notice the difference in performance. I love my G. My acceleration is incredible and it handles like a sports car. With the money I save, its like getting free satellite radio. Or over the lifespan of the car, its free navigation. Or I can get the premium car wash every few weeks. Again, its a no brainer to me. And if I do want to race some punks, I can always top it with premium when I want.

And heres a little secret, no one can tell what type of gas you're using. I doubt you yourself can tell.
  • Options
    michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    I seem to recall hearing that the computer systems are able to track the type of fuel used.

When a vehicle manufacturer indicates that 91 or better is required (as opposed to recommended), I would be a little worried about putting in 87.
  • Options
    johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    35-40K car and worried about 250/year for less performance than you paid for? I must be missing something. If your EXPENSIVE tires wear out what will you replace them with?
  • Options
    I've pushed my car.... :blush:
    I love the feedback that it delivers.
    I know exactly where the limit is, even before I see the VDC light start to flash.

I have not driven a RWD model, but I can tell you that if you leave the VDC on, it's glued to the ground like it's on rails.
    Only with the VDC off, and shifting through a corner, do I start to feel a little tail slip.

So,no, it is not tail happy at all.
    If fact, AWD and all, it's the best handling sports car I have owned. :D
  • Options
    No offense Desi, but if you all bent out of shape due to $250 a year in gas, you most likely should be driving a different car.
    $250 a year does not make me "rich", but if you're worried about a drop in a bucket like that (compared to overall cost of the car), maybe the G is out of your price range.
    You really need to see all aspects of a car before deciding and this includes gas costs.
    I looked at this and decided on the G.
    I hate the cost of gas, especially with the profits being made... but I refuse to save $2- at the pump and lose performance.
    That's just me.

Use whatever you want and enjoy your G.
  • Options
    Awesome.. thanks for the feedback Scott.

Soon enough, I too will have " the best handling sports car" ;)

Im very excited. 1 more week!
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    To each their own opinion and that's respected. However, to put things in perspective, $250.00 a year in savings equals about $5.00 a week in savings. To me, that's simply not worth putting lesser gas in the vehicle. My biggest concern would be potentially having engine failure or some other problem that can be used against me (voiding my warranty) for not using the higher octane. Page 9-2 of the Owners Manual states an octane rating of at least 91. I'll stick to that at the minimum.
  • Options
    terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    Could someone please advise me whether 18" x 7.5 wheels would fit on a G35x. Thanks in advance!

Terry