Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

12346»

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Rosie32 and jwindsor,

Any further progress made with your vehicles since your last post?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ryenryen Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Envoy Denali 4wd. I also was at the dealership to address the fuel guage acting up and was told it was a defective part and could be replaced for 800-1000$ I couldnt afford it (laid off) and have been filling up constantly for the last year. I bought Oct 2008 @ 75000K now it's 156000k. I've replaced both hub assemblies at 500$/pc, brake pads shoes and rotors 800$, Battery in 09' 150$ On friday I had front struts and and rear shocks installed 1300$ w/alignment only to find my vehicle to be sitting on the ground at rear after 12 hour shifts. compressor gets it back to level but in canada at -40C I don't want to test the elasticity of these air springs. For the price of this vehicle used and the repairs (completed and the fuel pump and air shocks i need to fix) I could have bought a new Ford Truck under warranty and not had to worry about getting to work. I've been a GM guy since I was 16 with my buick century, lasabre, 1500, sonoma, now this Envoy. Never have repairs been so costly and feel the quality of GM vehicles have taken a serious turn for the worse. If GM cannot stand behing this obvious safety Issues with failed fuel guages I can't stand behind them anymore. :lemon:
    Ryen,

If I have read correctly, you live in Canada? Have you been working with customer service through GM of Canada already on these concerns?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • canenvoyownercanenvoyowner Member Posts: 6
    I have had the exact same problems as everyone else on this forum. My 2005 Envoy began having issues with blower (wouldn't blow at various times when changing selection from defrost to mid level to feet). Fortunately was fixed at 50K mark under warranty.

Then at about the 70K mark my speedo and fuel gauge both started failing intermittently. Got estimate on cost and thought forget it!

About 6 months ago decided I would look to fix myself and found this forum with everyone describing the problems so I contacted GM Canada. Tried to play hardball with them to get the full cost of repair for both items but they wouldn't. They would only stick with the 50% coverage. I decided against the repair again but last week I relented and took it in to my local dealer (Park Lane in Sarnia, Ont.)

As per the special coverage 10054 they charged me the diagnostic fee (I think about 80$) and then covered 50% of the rest of the bill to replace the fuel sending unit. I think my total bill including diag. fee was 297$ (So about $220 for the fuel sensor repair.

I was told this repair would fix my fuel gauge issue but the cost to repair the speedo. gauge would be about $503. They told me they would have to replace the entire instrument cluster to fix the speedo. I opted out of speedo fix but got them to fix the fuel gauge sensor per policy.

I received my Envoy back about 5 hours later but the gauge wasn't reading correctly yet...it was off by about 1/4 tank. I felt I'd already invested (wasted) enough time that day so I went home and called the service dept. and told them what I'd found. They said to bring it back and they'll look at it again but maintained that replacing the sensor should have fixed the problem...

I will update when I take it in for followup repairs

Also anyone know anything about fixing the speedo gauge on cluster??
  • smittycrsmittycr Member Posts: 1
    There is a known problem with the stepper motors in back of each gauge. Some states have forced a recall, others, such as Texas, are ignoring the issue. I bought a full set of stepper motors on eBay and my brother replaced them. no problems since. I agree it's a safety issue. I almost had heart failure - seriously - when my speedometer said 100+ and other cars were passing me like I was a snail. A year earlier, I got a speeding ticket for 80+ in a 65 and I kept telling the patrolman I was not going over 80; I know I speed but I don't go over 80. Since the problem was so sporadic for while, I didn't realize it was the stupid gauge. Stepper motors were about $35 and it required removing the dash but it wasn't bad at all. There are several places that advertise changing them all out - 1 in Austin and the other in Tulsa.
  • jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    re: "it required removing the dash but it wasn't bad at all."
    HAHAHAH...i REPLACED THE HEATER core on wife's 2000 jimmy/Envoy. it was BAD!!! 2 day project. It required removing the COMPLETE DASH....i have all the photo's to prove it. you say "it wasn't bad" because YOU didn't have to do it...OR your model actually was not that bad. i had discussions on other forums re: this dash removal...everyone was asking me how to do it. They also took 2 days to do it.
    Haul all this American junk to the scrap yard. Recycled Chryslers from Japan are sounding better everyday!!!
  • jbenvoy12jbenvoy12 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah -

I have a 2005 Envoy with Gas Gauge problems as well. I am sending you an email now with the details.

Thanks!

Jacob
  • amazing_jess84amazing_jess84 Member Posts: 3
    I had problems with the fuel sensor as well. Received a letter from GMC. I called GMC customer service(spoke w/ Christine) to get details. Was told to go to the dealer & have it fixed, but would pay the 50% of the costs. I asked what if I went somewhere else? I was told that I would have to pay 100% of the cost then have to submit paperwork to get paid for the 50%. I called again on the date of the repair & was told the same thing. Unfortunately I didn't take the name of the lady I spoke with then. I should have known I was going to get screwed over. She even told me I could take the paperwork to the GMC dealership & they would help me submit for reimbursement there. I didn't have the time to go.The local GMC dealership is far from my home, so I decided to submit the paperwork myself. I just got a call from Christine stating they will not reimburse me for the cost. Apparently they have incompetent people working for their customer service & should record their phone calls. It's my word against theirs. I was just told that it states so in the letter, (so basically screw what Customer Service says. What's the point in calling them). If I wouldn't have been given the wrong info... of course I would have gone to the dealership(COMMON SENSE) I feel as though they are pushing people to pay them money for the repairs of their faulty vehicles. They should be paying 100% of the costs. Not sure why they aren't. Now I'm having problems with the "blower" as well. GMC has crappy, faulty vehicles. Wish I had never bought it. Learned my EXPENSIVE lesson. :lemon:
    So [amazing jess84] you never say if the fuel gauge problem got fixed. Did the other repair centre fix it correctly the first time?? How much did they charge? How long were you there? You may have been better off in going there instead of to the dealer anyway.

If you read my post from Nov. 28th you'll see I spent at least five hours there on my first visit and the gauge was still off by 1/4 of a tank when the repair was finished. I'm posting an update to this in a minute.
    Great! We look forward to hearing from you, Jacob.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am sorry for this frustrating situation. If we could perhaps look into your case for you to help clarify the decision making factors, please send us your case number in an email. Or, if need be, we can re-open the case.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Here is my update from the attempted repair on my Envoy fuel gauge/fuel level sensor from my original posting of Nov. 28th, 2011. (One page back in this thread).

As stated the dealer (Park Lane in Sarnia Ont. Canada) replaced the fuel level sensor in the tank under the special program 10054 (I think), but when the original repair was complete the gauge still read 1/4 tank less than actually in the tank. The dealer maintained that this should have fixed the problem as they had also tested the fuel gauge and it was working correctly. They said to bring it back...they'd have another look.

Booked an appt. and brought it back in on Dec. 19, 2011. They pulled out the fuel level sensor they had just put in a month earlier and stated that it appeared faulty, that there was a design flaw in it that resulted in some wiring preventing the float from being able to float all the way up when the tank was full. They also noticed some wear on the wiring insulation. So they installed another new sensor and somehow attached the wiring so it wouldn't interfere with the float when the tank was full. When I received the Envoy back I checked the fuel level, it didn't look any different to me than when I gave them the truck in the morning. I went back inside and told the service rep. He said the only way to tell was to fill it up again and we'll see if there is any change. They were adamant that this would fix the problem. I filled the vehicle up and there was some improvement.

Now when the fuel tank is full...I mean jammed full. The gauge still reads about one needle width below the full line. Every other car I've driven, the gauge will at least hit the full with most going slightly past the full. So I would say it's still off somewhat.

However, I think I am done investing in the time and grief of looking into this further. It's reading fairly close to actual and when the fuel level drops the gauge works as well...for now.

On to the speedometer gauge now. I have found two local places, one in Sarnia and one in Ingersoll that will replace the stepper motors on the instrument cluster for a hell of a lot cheaper than the delerships estimate of $500+. These places also state the cluster doesn't need to be calibrated to the vehicle which the dealer was adamant about. Anyone know anything about this?
    EVERYONE GET THE HECK AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT SAYS "GM" ON IT!!!!!
    My GMAC Mortgage lender LIED TO ME TWICE...they returned forebearance payment saying it was late ,when it was 5 days early.
    GMC & GMAC is SO SCREWED UP.....run away as fast as you can!! Do it now!!!!!!!!!!

I'm re-registering my '72 BMW 2002 & '75 Opel 1900. They are simple 4 cylinder carburated vehicles that run GREAT, require no emissions, good gas mileage, no computers. WIN-WIN-WIN situation!!!!!
    You're right, I didn't. I left out other info. I think it's because I had just received the call from GMC and was so angry & frustrated. I went to another repair center. The GMC dealership wanted to charge me $400(it was $800 total, but I would only have to pay half). I paid about $700, but that was with a smog check. I was only requesting to be reimbursed $270. I'm not an idiot. If they would have told me I HAD to go to the GMC dealership to have it repaired when I called them I would have done it. Who really wants to pay more than what they have to? I'm filing a complaint with the BBB. Not sure if it will do any good,( I don't think it will) or what else I can do, but GMC needs to keep their word when calling their customer service line.
    Well Sarah@gmcustserv...what are you gonna do?? If this person has receipts to prove the work was done, why then would GM not reimburse for the standard cost that is charged at the dealership for this same repair. We all know and agree GM should be paying the full amount as they used faulty parts, but we will settle for half...even if they don't quite repair the problem completely.

Also amazing_jess84...I would keep copies of all receipts if you have to send in originals...you know...just in case something gets lost.
    @canenvoyowner, I definitely will. I have everything filed. I still can't understand why GM isn't owning up to it and paying 100% of it. I can tell by all of the complaints on this forum that these cars have a lot of problems. Hopefully I can get rid of this vehicle before other problems appear. I won't count on it though.
  • pjstewartpjstewart Member Posts: 3
    I am posting to report that I have finally made an appointment to have the fuel level sensor fixed, and asked how much it would be to have GMC look at our hub assembly while it is in there... they replied $50 to assess, $700 to repair...

super disappointed with GMC... there must be some way GMC can be made to take responsibility...
    Pjstewart,

If you would like to establish a Service Request through Customer Service, please send us an email with more information including your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership and appointment information. We would then be able to evaluate the situation and explore any options that may or may not be available.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sbutterfly321sbutterfly321 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Envoy and my gas gauge is broken I do not know how much gas I have in my tank at any point. I do have a good friend who is a mechanic who showed me on one of the buttons on my steering wheel he pushed it and and one said miles the other said RANGE. He told me: that means that is how much gas you have. He told me don't get lower than 40 in the range. Because to fix the gas gauge they have to take out the whole dashboard and send it back to the GMC factory to have it fixed and you can't drive your car while it is being fixed. I have been using the range method and that works great for me. I have had some things go wrong with this car but I love this car it protects my daughters and I so well. I have been hit by other vehicles not my fault and I was so safe because of this car and just a scratch. Good luck to you all. If you need a place in Lodi for honest dependable repairs that you can afford, go to Joe's Auto Repair. Tell him the Butterfly lady sent ya :blush:
  • lulu3620lulu3620 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    my 2004 gmc envoy which has 112,000 miles has fuel sensor issues. I wanted to know what GM is doing about this issue? Please let me know. my email is lusi_delgado@yahoo.com
    Please let me know.
    Good morning lulu3620,
    If we can look to see if there are any open recalls associated to your vehicle, we'd be happy to do so. Please send us an email at the address located in my profile with the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll get you any information we find.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • markalmotorsmarkalmotors Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 Denali with the same issues as described here. How are we supposed to email you with VIN when you have no email listed?
    VIN 1GKES66M566152198
    Sarah, The email in your profile says : Private
    1GKES66M566152198

all email in profiles on this site say private.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hey guys,
    Thank you guys for letting us know that our email address was not showing up. Not sure what’s going on with that. Please feel free to contact us at SocialMedia@GM.com. Have a great weekend!!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • swshiklesswshikles Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same issue with my Envoy. It has around 115,533 miles. When I fill the tank, the gauge goes straight to empty and that annoying chime sounds off for 5 times. Then after going for a few miles then the gauge reads correctly. That is until I get below a half of tank, then the gauge goes to empty again. I'm going to the dealership here and see what they have to say.
    VIN: 1GKDS13S352386203

Steve
    To find out what they will say, just read my message about my dealership experience.
    Be prepared to pay the diagnostic fee, then half the 600 dollar cost for the fuel level sensor replacement under some special repair order they have created.
    Steve,

I pulled your VIN and there may be something on your vehicle that pertains to this; I would be happy to discuss it privately if you wanted to email me at sarah_grace@gmexpert.com (please include your Edmunds username so I'll know who it's from!).
    When are you headed in to your dealership?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Steve, please keep us updated with what you are going through so we can all help each other.
    Let the fun begin!!!
    Now the trick is to find the time to leave the truck with the dealership. What I didn't realize that it would take the better part of the day to replace the fuel sensor in the tank. It is nice however to find out the GMC service department is aware of the problem and is willing to work with me. I just have to get the thing in there for them to work on it.
    I had the fuel sensor changed today at Dossett Big 4 Buick GMC Cadillac dealership here in Tupelo, MS.. It cost me only $121.09!!! I consider myself really fortunate considering what I read here that it cost some people a great deal more money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2012
    Cool. Now you can make it all the way to Johnnie's Drive-In without stalling out.

I used to cruise through that neck of the woods back when Dudie's Diner was just a half mile or so north of where Dossetts is now. :-)
    I can make it all the way to GTRA just outside of Columbus, and back everyday without worrying if I was going to run out of petro, :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was the other direction (although my brother wound up in Columbus for a year - USAF). My first flight was in a crop duster out of Roscoe Turner Field.
  • vfd323vfd323 Member Posts: 2
    Good luck getting help from GMC...they are worthless and i have filed a complaint about their service with the state lemon law people, GM is nonting but a bunch of cheap people who dont care about their customers and are lying sacks of crap in my book....BOO to GM
  • msgvus1msgvus1 Member Posts: 1
    I appear to be having this same problem. I noticed 2 weeks ago my gas gauge went from showing between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of gas to E (with light and beeps) within 2 minutes. I restarted the car, and the gauge was normal. It did it again last week. This morning after putting $60 of gas in the car (tank was between 1/4 and E) the light came on showing it is on E! The car even seemed sluggish to start. Is there any recall on this? What is the cost of the repair? I have a 2007 Envoy.
    edited June 2012
    Your sender is SHOT. I just did my wife's AGAIN..for the second time this past weekend. I went to Advance Auto..bought entire pump/sender assy. and did it myself. cost= $290.00
    If you read every page of this thread you will find more info on it. Stealerships charge $800 to do the job (parts included)

P.S. I started this 16 page thread back in Sept. of 2006.

Good luck...you're gonna need it.
    msgvus,

We can check to see if there are any special coverages or recalls on this situation with your Envoy. Please send us the last 8 digits of your VIN to our email at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ravoravo Member Posts: 1
    I just started to have the Fuel Gauge problem after my last couple fill ups. I'm at 96/97000 miles. I also have the problem with the electrical that causes the car to surge every now and then and the lights dim or brighten when you step on the brake or hit any switches (window or unlock switch). The catalytic converter went when at 82000 (of course just after the warranty expired). I have had nothing but issues with my 2005 Envoy since I got it and it seems that something is always going wrong with it. It's unbelievable that GMC (General Motors) won't take care of issues that can (and has) caused accidents when parts fail that are obviously OEM parts. I've had issues from day one with my car and have dealt with it but when is enough enough? I don't have a lot of money and I'm tired of sinking money into something that is an issue with GMC and not me! I have always been on my soap box and promoted "American" made vehicles but after all the issues with my GMC Envoy I won't be buying American again and especially not GMC. I can't take all the issues one after the next after the next. I can't get out from under the bills of maintaining this car even though the issue is GMC's and not mine. Frustrated at GMC and disappointed in their taking responsibility for defects in OEM parts. Something's got to be done about this before someone gets hurt due to faulty equipment!

Very dissatisfied 2005 GMC Envoy owner!
  • roberehtih2roberehtih2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy in almost perfect condition. I love this vehicle, but recently I have been having an issue with my fuel gauge. I put 60.00 worth if fuel in and my gauge reads empty and I get the "low fuel" light and chimes. This has been happening for about 3 months now. When I drive about 20-25 miles, the fuel gauge starts bouncing from full to half to empty. Is there a recall or safety issue regarding this problem? I personally think $600.00 to pay the dealership is a bit excessive. Please help. I have ran out of gas 2 times now and I don't want it to happen again. Thank you.
    edited October 2013
    Go back and read the FIRST page of this thread (which I started in 2006). Your fuel sender is bad.
    All your questions are answered throughout this entire thread.
    I replaced my sender myself for $68? Yes, Stealerships want $600 & up!!. Good luck.
  • absolutegabsoluteg Member Posts: 5
    GMC did a recall on some of this stuff. I posted about 2 years back (on this site) about all the troubles i had. GMC finally did a recall, not sure if your model year or timeframe still fits the recall period of time. The recall wasn't even that good...i had spent about $600 for a local mechanic to do the work and only got about 1/4 of what i spent back from GMC. If you have the right equipment and can do the work, then much cheaper. The parts aren't much, it's the labor that is the killer! In my case they had to drain the gas tank and lower it to get the parts in/out. I also had a bad throttle body (which seemed to constantly be an issue on my 2007 Envoy) because it isn't covered and dust/dirt can get in. I no longer own the Envoy - i had way to may problems for a "Professional grade vehicle".
  • terry0327terry0327 Member Posts: 1
    Fill up and the gas gauge goes to empty and the check engine light comes on. Is there a recall on this problem that many people are reporting.
  • lerklerk Member Posts: 3
    First want to thank jonny ring and all for staying with this link. Just a update called dealer about 06 envoy, only one recall for door electrical issues however the issue with the fuel sensor has been addressed they are calling it a special allowance issue and are going to replace/repair for "0" cost. Taking it in tomorrow. If my memory serves me right the dates are July 2016 and milage 100000 something.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi lerk,

I'm glad to hear that you are taking your vehicle to the dealership for your concern. Please feel free to follow up with us regarding your visit and the service that was provided. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to your feedback!

Kristen A.
    GM Customer Care

Just a update checked in at 7 work done by 3. Cost was 0. Hope this helps! Gm customer service monitors your links don't work....lol imagine thAt.
    Just a last note I had just purchased this vehicle so called dealer to check if there had been any recalls and if they had been done. With the last 8 vin # they were able to give me that information. My car was doing what everyone was saying. My experience was a good one dealer very professional and work done fast. This forum was the key so want to thank everyone for taking the time to post. :)