Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Future of Mercedes-Benz?

13»

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    Ha, I just went out and looked...mine gives adjustments for going over 130 mph!

I had my C43 into the triple digits, but as it has rained almost daily since I got the E55, I have only had it to about 90. It's a great highway cruiser though, so much more laid back than the frantic C43. I'm able to get about 24mpg out of it at 70 mph, too.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Ha, I just went out and looked...mine gives adjustments for going over 130 mph!

Wow! Only an autobahn bred vehicle would have such labels. Imagine that, tips for traveling over 100 and 130 mph. I'm still discovering little things about my CLK 3 months into ownership.

I went by the local dealer today to take a look around. Since they're closed on Sunday you can look around without being bothered. There was a CLS63 AMG that someone forgot to lock up. Man do I want this car. It was Black/Black and just stunning. Love the shift paddles, they're real metal too. The CLS feels as if were made for me.

M
    Indeed...with tips like that in such a non-showy place, it proves that these vehicles are designed for high speed running. If only I was in Germany...

I don't know if I'd like the CLS. The short greenhouse kind of puts me off. If it's anything like the Lexus ES I drove last week (lack of headroom, iffy visibility), I wouldn't be happy. I like tall windows. I would like the paddle shift though.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The CLS500 I drove really bothered me. If I was looking for something with that kind of performance, unusable back seat and poor rear visiblity I would get a real coupe.
    Let you tell it every Mercedes "bothers" you. They range from "painful" to just plain "junk". Why bother?

M
    I liked the last couple of E-Classes I drove. I probably wouldn't buy one myself cause they just aren't my style but they were comfortable cars.

I would rather have an E63/E55 then the CLS version.

Actually an E55 Wagon would be even better.

I just don't get the whole four door coupe business. You are compromising both performance and Driveablity just to have a swoopy looking design that is fairly jaw dropping but ultimately unpractical.

Sedans are supposed to be practical.
    Well it isn't being marketed as a sedan, that is what the E-Class is for. Haven't you ever been attracted to a car just because it was good looking? That is the point of the CLS, it isn't supposed to be nor was it designed to be practical. It is an emotional car, like a true coupe would be. No one is buying the CLS for its practicality, that is what the E and S are for.

M
    Sure I have I bought a MINI Cooper S but it was more then just they styling it was the driving and the relatively large space inside compared to such a small outside space.

Just in the past few months I have seen a lot of people trying to get out of their CLS because now the newnes has worn off. The driving experience of the car is not worth the trade offs of the design language.

It was fun for a year or so and now I want something else.
    I think an E55 wagon would be pretty awesome, too. Nice and rare as well.

I like visibility, which is why I dislike the chop-top styles like the CLS.

But for as impractical as it is, it does appear to be a success.
    People get out of high-end cars all the time when the novelty wears off, the CLS is no different.

Styling, driving, interior, there are many reasons to buy a CLS, just not practicality. Styling is main draw though, just looking at it on the road or in a showroom.

M
    Nice pics of new MB S63 and CL63 in the current 'Mercedes Enthusiast'. If I win the lottery...

I noticed something though...the wheels don't appear staggered anymore. What happened to staggered wheels? I like how they look.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    In our local paper their is a "Big Body" 1994' S500 with ONLY 34,750 for $14,500. Is this a good deal ?????

Rocky
    You want records records and records. Low mileage with no maintenance on these cars is a recipe for disaster. Also I would look at getting an inspection. Price seems OK, not great or horrible.

I saw a beautiful W140 S500 yesterday, it was white, aftermarket wheels, spotless. I took a pic of it with my phone, I will have to upload it.
    Okay, I was curious.....I might be interested in one someday. I do like the new C-class. What do you think is the new C's biggest attribute ???

Rocky

P.S. I agree with you pal we will get the propoganda machine tonight. :sick:
    08' restyle...... ;)

Rocky
    I very much prefer black in Benz's ;)

Rocky
    It looks to be upmarket from the current one, classier looking and maybe a little bigger, with higher quality trim. I have seen but a few pics, though. MB seems to be ditching the round light theme on the sedans, the new one should have a front end similar to the new S class, and some other borrowed themes. I think a new 4 will be the base engine too.

And yes, that W140 would be better in black or silver or grey.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

This one is for sale close to where I work. I think they just took it in trade. 17 grand, too much car for my tastes, but I can understand the draw...
    There you go rocky, last of the W140s
    Yikes 17,000 miles for a 99 with almost 90,000 miles is way too much. Unless it is completly perfect not a mark on it and has a MB extended warranty that is.
    Yeah

2 years ago I saw a one owner 98 with 60K on it for sale at a Porsche dealer, and they only wanted 16K for it.
    I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to something about past models, classics etc.....lol!!!! We haven't discussed Mercedes' "future" in months!

Anyway, my old Mitsu dealer has a 1990 420SEL on their lot that is in unbelievable shape:

They're asking $8995 for it, 75K on the clock. I haven't seen a W126 in such shape in a long time. If I were a W126 fanatic..... If this were a R129 SL or W124 E I'd be all over it.

M
    I like the White one you showed me better. I like the "Big Body's" to be in black. I'd like to own a 99' though. :)

Like 2pac said "Picture me rollin' in my 500 Benz" :P

Rocky
    Wow that is in good shape. Price seems reasonable if a little on the high side but you can ask big bucks for sharp highline cars like that.

If it passed the Shifty used car test and an indie mechanic said it was in good shape then I can see that being a good buy.
    I think MB is the most heritage-oriented brand, so the discussion is OK.

Wow, that 126 is beautiful, classy old tank. Maybe a little steep for this continent...but you know, that thing would sell easily for that money in Germany or maybe the Netherlands. Would almost be a shame to subject it to daily use...nice ones are really becoming uncommon. Hopefully it will sell to an enthusiast.
    Most were black or dark...so you're in luck. They aren't appreciating in price either.
    Yeah, I don't really even know what gadgets are in them. :confuse: I guess I like the style so much I've never looked at them up close. Was there any AMG version of the 500 ????

Rocky
    Nope, no AMG W140.

Gadgets were kind of old school - self closing doors, double glazed glass, early parking aid, etc. No navi was ever offered, but xenons and side airbags were around by 97 or so.
    Coool........ :)

Rocky
    AFFALTERBACH, Germany — A special AMG performance package for the 514-horsepower Mercedes-Benz E63 will be available in March, priced at the equivalent of $9,265.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119363

Rocky
    DUBAI — Noting that "many wealthy sheikhs have become avid automobile aficionados," Mercedes-Benz used the setting of the Arabian desert to roll out its stunning new 650-hp SLR McLaren 722 Edition. The special model gets a boost in horsepower, improved aerodynamics and such racing touches as red seatbelts for more "visual impact."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119395

Rocky
    The E63 sounds cool...but that SLR...I'd rather use the money to buy a real gullwing, and have some left over..
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Nice to see Benz getting back on track as far quality/reliability are concerned...

link title
    The S-Class won its class first year out too.

Now that is impressive.
    I loathed that car when it was introduced, but it has certainly grown on me. Still light years out of my league, but who knows what will happen in a few years.
    Oh yeah the styling does nothing for me I just don't like it but the substance of the car is impressive.
    Fintail,

When is Mercedes, going to put a competitive engine in the new C-class that's not AMG ????? :confuse:

-Rocky
This discussion has been closed.