Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Future of Mercedes-Benz?

rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Fintail, here's a forum for us guys so we can leave the "I spotted a new make/model" alone

I just was checking on the new make models under the Mercedes site and boy they are expensive brand new. :surprise:

Rocky

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Do you know when a redesign is going to happen for the C-Class ? The 268 hp manuel did pretty good and if MB, would add a bit more power it would blow past the 3 series as king of that segment IMHO.

I just hope Chrysler doesn't take down Mercedes. It would be ashame. :sick:

Rocky
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    ...if Mercedes eventually sells Chrysler. It has now veered into the red for the second time in less than a five years. Zetsche recently admitted that the economies of scale originally envisioned from combining Chrysler with Mercedes are not likely to materialize.

Sooner or later, Mercedes is going to have to ask itself: "How is control of Chrysler benefiting this company?"
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    C class is getting a reskin soon, for MY 2008 I believe, but it will never be a real threat to the 3er - it's simply more luxury over sport. Manual versions are very uncommon. I hear the C63 will be the new AMG variant - should be fun in a power for the sake of power way. Styling will be 'baby S-class', like the current one. Here's an interpretation:

http://images.km.ru/auto/mercedes-c-2008-2.jpg

I too think there's a good chance that MB and Chrysler will part ways. Things haven't gone to quite the optimistic dreams of 1998. In fact, MB really hasn't seen benefits. MB won't be taken down, they'll bail in time, if need be.
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    I would be surprised if DC split off and sold Chrysler. Mind you, I was shocked/dismayed at the initial merger.

Wouldn't MB take a big financial hit selling Chrysler now when the whole Mopar lineup is in the doldrums?

Not long ago the Chrysler side was contributing more than its share to DC: it could happen again.
    That's pretty sharp. Do you know what the hp. ratings are for that car fintail ?

Rocky
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I have no idea, really. C63 will be huge.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I just was checking on the new make models under the Mercedes site and boy they are expensive brand new.

On a dollar basis, the prices are about the same as they were in the late '80s. Problem is that $50,000 bought you a lot more car under Bush padre than it does under Bush hijo. The Plaza Accords really don't get as much credit as they deserve for degrading the German and Japanese auto industry.
    Thanx...

Rocky
    I gotta agree.... ;)

Rocky
    What MBs past looks like, just for Rocky

I saw this today at a shopping mall. Very late S600, I'll guess a 1998 based on some of the trim. For a black car, it was pretty immaculate. Still by any educated guess a black hole, or one in the making. Still an impressive old beast though.
    Fintail, thanks. Now that's my kind of "Big Body" pal. She's a sexay beast. :blush: :shades:

Rocky
    Those cars have retained their presence...they just scream 'organized crime' even today.
    LOL, well to me they are a intimidating presence. Maybe the mob connection has something to do with it ?

Rocky
    Kind of a chicken vs egg game there...but yeah it's an intimidating car, all big MB have those qualities even today. Do criminals make the cars intimidating, or choose them because they are intimidating?
    A little of both I think.

Rocky
    Wanna know what my favorite Mercedes Benz made today is ? The G-Class Military SUV. I'd love to own one of those Gas-Hawging Dinosaur Burners. :D I honestly love em' AMG built engine for sub-5 second bursts to 60. That is engineering excellence. :D

You need to find me one used "of course someday" pal. I honestly would think about getting myself one. The 2007' has alot of new features too. :)

Per Motor Trend:

Originally dervived from a German Military vehicle, the G500 and high-performance G55 AMG were suppose to be dropped this year and replaced by the more domesticated GL-class models. An outcry from Gelaendewagen fans reversed the decision, and the two models remain on the market. That doesn't mean Mercedes-Benz has neglected them, as the 2007' models get the more refined seven-speed automatic transmission as standard along with a DVD-navigation system.

BEST BUY: If you're looking for the Ultimate off-roader with luxury touches, this is one of a few remaining.

SUM UP: THE SPORT/UTE THEY DARE NOT KILL

Rocky
    Those things are cool in their own way, but if I was to have one it would be a stripped down diesel Euro model, no fancy leather or nav or anything. I'd want one I could ride hard and not feel bad about it. Real SUVs with so much luxo trim seem silly to me. The G is too competent an off roader to be relegated to trophy wife mall cruising status.
    The G is too competent an off roader to be relegated to trophy wife mall cruising status.

ROTFLMAO :D

Oh well, I can't say much. I'd be a Trophy? :P Husband driving it 95% of the time on-road. I like the G55AMG ;)

Rocky
    Well Fintail I just joined the ranks....I bought a 2003 CLK430 Cabriolet yesterday. The last of the W208 series CLK. I guess I'll have update my carspace page!!

M
    Congrats on the new ride merc. ;)

Rocky
    Wow, congrats. What's it like? AMG package? What color?
    Thankis. I'll have some pics up by this weekend. It is Brilliant Silver over Ash with an Ash top. Yes it has the AMG package, but not the trunklid AMG badge (lol). Fast, comfy and solid are what come to mind immediately. Everything thumps and clicks, the windows closing the doors closing the controls etc. The doors are so heavy! I have the comand system and I honestly don't see what all the fuss was about, I figured out all non-nav related functions in minutes.

M
    Ah great, best color. I see red ones now and then, I don't like that on those cars. And black or white, bah. If you put a little elbow grease into giving the paint a good detail, it will really glow...my C43 really has impressive paint quality that is still evident.

I think the same people that are thrown off by comand etc are the same ones who get confused at the atm/credit card reader in grocery store checkout lines.

That car makes me think a little...I love my go-kart (relative to MB) C43, but sometimes it really seems just too small. It's effectively a 3 seater with my driving position. Sometimes I think about browsing for a very late (2002 model year) E55, with comand and everything else available. Not many good low mileage ones around though.
    Yeah I thought about a W210 E55 for a while also. I also looked at some 1999 W140s, 2000-2002 R129s and some 2003 W211 E320s and E500s, but in the end I knew I didn't want a 4-door and the R129 (while stunning and beautiful) just isn't practical enough.

Mercedes controls are really curiously marked, but call me crazy I find them quite logical actually. My only concern would be having to push more than one button to perform a single task.

A few pics:

imageimageimageimage

M
    Very nice...I forgot those late cars have the new style wheels. I like the top color too. Tasty looking car. Is it low mileage?

I too have thought of a very late R129 , but it seems very impractical, and hardtop storage and stowage would probably annoy me. I have heard of a few bugs in the early W211 E500...transmissions I believe. I prefer a 4 door car, as now and then I do have to haul a few people or stuff, and it makes it easier. Makes the car more of a sleeper too, in the case of the AMG sedans anyway.
    Yeah that is nice pal. :shades:

Rocky
    Yeah the R129 will remain just a dream, it is the ultimate drive it every now and then type of car. I'm still going to have one or a W124 E500 before everything is said and done though. Those two models are my favorite past MB models.

I've driven several new E500s and some used ones over the last couple of years and I gotta tell you it was a close call, but I wanted a convertible. I think you should check out the E500, preferably a 04' model with the 7-speed tranny. Smooth and powerful only begins to describe how they drove. I can only imagine how all the new 07' "550" cars drive!!!

M
    Both those cars are more affordable with each passing year. I suspect a lot of W124 500Es have been abused by now though.

If I got a W211 it would have to be a sport package with panorama roof, for sure. Comand is another necessity if I am to bravely get into such a modern car. But I want something unusual...so I see holding out a couple more years where an early W211 E55 might only be 10K more than a normal car, like with an 02 E...that is, if I was really yearning for an E55. Right now I can pretty easily remain happy with the C43...driving it for a few minutes does that.
    Yeah most W124 E500s are graying now, but I saw one just last year with only 24K on the clock. I would have bought it if I didn't need a "newer" car for the daily grind. As a put-her-in-the-garage and drive every now and then type of car, that E500 would have been perfect. It was a 94' model which means it has the facelifted look of the W124 range that year. It was same color combo as my CLK. Ah...only to dream. Of course that car sold very quickly.

Yeah an early W211 E55 might be a great choice, there sure are plenty of them around. Me, I think I'm going for a CLS550 in about 3-4 years if I buy used again.

Didn't answer your question from earlier, my car has 38K on the clock.

M
    A local lot had I believe a 92 500E with something like 12K on it. It was as-new, the interior was just amazing. But they wanted like 35-40K for it, I just laughed. I think it was a consignment, an investment car gone awry. It would be a shame to mile up a nice old car like that.

I have no intention to buy a new MB unless I start making serious money, I mean like very solid 6 figures, and I don't see that coming anytime soon. The initial raw depreciation just can't be justified by me. You can get them used and cheap, it's such a better deal.

That's an OK mileage for a driver car. I want them as low as possible, with records. If I was seeing out an 02 E55, I would prefer under 30K. There was an 01 E55 for sale locally a while back that had like 15K on it, the guy wanted in the low 30s. He ate a lot of money on that one.
    I have no intention to buy a new MB unless I start making serious money, I mean like very solid 6 figures, and I don't see that coming anytime soon. The initial raw depreciation just can't be justified by me. You can get them used and cheap, it's such a better deal.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. There is nothing I'd like more than a new CLS550 or SL550, but you know how much they cost! I figured the CLS will be within my range in about 3-4 years.

M
    I see many 03 E320s here for around 25K, with E500 going in the low-mid 30s, for nice examples. By then CLS will only carry a minor premium, especially if they make a lot of them and dump them in sweetheart lease deals like with the E class.

SL seems to do a little better...hard to find a current style one around here under 60K that isn't fairly miled up.
    Jeez Rocky, go buy a Unimog.
    Yeah I can forget about a current body SL, they're still mightly expensive.

When I was looking for my CLK I found a 03' E500 with 19K on the clock for like 36K Certified at a local dealer here. It was White over Stone and with the appearance/sport package and just perfect, I almost got it instead. If everything goes right I think I'm going to get a W211 E320 4Matic sometime next year for winters and everyday use and put the CLK away. That is a very big if however!

M
    Jeez Rocky, go buy a Unimog.

Whats a Unimog, bumpy ? :confuse:

Rocky
    Oh my day.
    ROTFFLMAO :P

That's funny bumpy. :D

Thanx for the links and reccomendation pal. :P

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Nice ride. But.............

You mean a person under a 4-digit nomenclature didn't sell you a Caddy that is supposed to be as good, if not better??? You're gonna catch a bit of flack I recon. ;)
    I can't imagine driving a W140 like that!

M
    Thanks, LOL. Never!

M
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Right now the MB GL320 CDI is at the top of my wish list. Wife says I have to sell the MB Cruiser first.

I think Mercedes is making some progress. Not sure that selling Chrysler would make a lot of difference. They do need to work on their dealers at least in So. CA. The one in San Diego does not induce me to be a customer. I may have to go out of state to get a diesel anyway.
    Nice video fintail. Now that's a Big Body Benz :shades:

Rocky
    ROTF !!!!! I love the video, wished I knew enough German to understand what they were sayin'. ;) Those cars were awesome and still look great today. They were a sign of superior German Engineering at it's best. ;)

Rocky
    It was the last 'no expense spared' S, for sure. Although the new one looks promising.

On that note and to be on topic, I saw 5 W221s today. MB has a hit, especially for that price range.
    What the heck is a W221 ?

Rocky
    New 07 S-class
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think that Mercedes will kick some Lexus tail over the next two years. Lexus is stagnating.
This discussion has been closed.