Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Will Mercury soon be joining Plymouth and Oldsmobile?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2010
    I'll answer my own post. Found this on the Mercury site:(4th Q/A down answers.)
    http://www.ford.com/doc/20100602_m_faq.pdf
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Nice set of pictures.

My favorites would be the 1939 Merc 8, 49-51 (James Dean movie had a custom Merc of this vintage), 99 Merc Cougar, 04 Marauder, Meta One Concept. The 57-60 era of cars had bizzare designs. Of all the rest, the Ford or Lincoln designs were purer than the Mercury "makeovers". These makeovers were either bland or obviously a patch job of a Ford or Lincoln (big sedans). Not much original design to distinguish the Mercury brand.

Now Ford Company can redirect resources, funds from a mediocre Mercury brand to a revitalized Ford brand and a hoped for resurgence of Lincolns of the past. Didn't Lincolns do well in factory supported "stock" car racing on public roads back in 40's or 50's in Mexico and/or Latin America?
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Is it me or how much did Plymouth have to do in a lot of those years? I mean if Chrysler covered the rest I would think the dealers would be fine. How many stand alone Plymouth dealers were there? (I do know of one that was exactly that probably from when DeSoto died until well into the 80s at least. Used to advertise as the oldest Plymouth dealer in the world. Technically he was correct because he didn't count Chrysler-Plymouth dealers. What used to be his place is now an Irish pub. For a while it was a Boston Market.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    edited June 2010
    They slash the best... :cry:

I have owned and appreciated all three.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You need to live in the Midwest too.

"Ford Motor Co. is offering some Mercury vehicle owners $500 toward the purchase of a new Ford vehicle and as much as $1,500 to buy a Lincoln as the auto maker looks to retain customers after dissolving the brand last year."

Ford Seeks to Shift Mercury Owners to its Other Brands (Wall St. Journal).
This discussion has been closed.