Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Power Port Problems

rclaftonrclafton Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Ford
I have a 2004 XLT and an issue with the center console Power Socket (Cigar Lighter). I am getting no voltage to the one in the center console in front of the stowage box, but the one for the rear passenger is working fine. I have checked the fuses (15A) and all is ok - I have ben through every fuse in the box just in case and all are ok. Is there a relay that I need to look at? I have checked the manual and the Cigar Socket is not listed as utilizing a relay. Anybody have any ideas on what else I can look at? Next step is to remove center console and start tracing with a meter.

Regards

Richard

Comments

• kiernan_2001kiernan_2001 Member Posts: 5
    My wifes explorer has the same problem except that her rear lighter went as well. We have also checked all the fuses to no avail. I would be interested to know the same.
  • fordsonfordson Member Posts: 4
    Why do they have lighters in these trucks,but no ashtrays?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For running cell phones and iPods. I think the common name for them now is Power Point.
  • fordsonfordson Member Posts: 4
    thanks steve!! i guess its cheaper for them to just pop in a lighter, than to put a "power point" cover on it...my 94 f150 had the power point cover...
  • jjds75jjds75 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution for this problem? Im experiencing the exact same thing on my wife's 2004 XLT Explorer.
  • rzackairzackai Member Posts: 1
    Newbie Question - When I shut down the car, the gps plugged into the cigarette lighter does not power off, even with the truck totally off. I assume this will drain the battery. Is there anyway to make the power source shut off when I shut the truck down? I really don't want to have to unplug the gps every time I shut the engine off.

Thanks
  • wschexnwschexn Member Posts: 1
    Both of my ports are no longer working. I don't know what the problem could be. First the power port went out, and then the cigarette lighter port went out. Where are the fuses that I need to check for this? I've take off my center console and my dash console to verify that the wiring is connected.

Please help, I'm at my wits end trying to get this to work.
  • alanstrandalanstrand Member Posts: 1
    Look under the hood in the fuse box. They are labeled Power Point #1 and Power Point #2

Replace those fuses, you should be back in business then.
  • KubricKubric Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem with a 1996 Explorer XLT, the accessory power ports do no power off when the ignition is switched off leaving the GPS running. Was there any suggestions on this?

Thanks
  • tazetaze Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have the same exact problem with the front power socket not working on my 2004 Ford Explorer. Fuses look ok. I can not bring up any replies listed above. Any help out there?
  • damon10damon10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sports Trac and having this same issue. Just bought it two days ago from the dealer and the power points don't work now. I checked the fuses labeled 21 and 25 (Front Power Point and Read Power Point) and both fuses are fine. I went as far as replacing the fuses just in case and still no luck. I'm getting the run around from the dealership on claiming I must have stuck something in it other than a cigerrette lighter (Even though there are no ash trays in this vehicle) and they are not wanting to fix it under warranty. This is my first time buying a Ford and I'm starting to get highly aggrivated. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this issue on my own without going to the dealership again and having words? I would appreciate any help anyone has out there.
This discussion has been closed.