Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• noelmannnoelmann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 1.8 turbo, it is shifting real hard in to 1st 2nd and 3rd.I had it tested and the code came up as p1778 that doesnt tell you if it is the transmission, or solnoide. has any one had this problem or can tell me whats wrong.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    p1778 is solenoid #7 n94 on the valve body of the trans hth
  • noelmannnoelmann Member Posts: 2
    thank you is it expensive to fix?
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    my suggestion is you find a trans shop that you trust if ur in colorado your more than welcome to bring it to me. but my suggestion is replace the valvebody with a reman valvebody. the reason i say this is 99% of the volkswagon transmissions i repair (28 years rebuilding transmissions) i have to replace the valvebody do to worn valves and bad solenoids. it it much cheaper to replace the complete valvebody than it is to try and buy solenoids separately. but you need to be ready for 600-800.00 just for valvebody replacement...which is far less than the 3000.00 it would cost to overhaul the transmission. if you dont have the valvebody replaced very soon..that 3000.00 trans overhaul will become a reality. if you need pricing on a valvebody replacement ill be able to price it for you monday morning. I can order the part thru the shop and have it drop shipped to you. that way you dont get raped by a trans shop and pay twice what they did for a valvebody. and when you have it replaced you will know its got a solid warranty on the valvebody. so you can see what im talking about as far as vavle body problems feel free to visit www.sonnax.com your trans id = 01M and our parts supplier is located at www.transtar.com
    hope this helps you if you need further feel free to drop me a line directly fordfan_17@hotmail.com
  • classicrock765classicrock765 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a new flywheel for my 2004 Jetta. The dealer wanted a lot of money for the clutch and original flywheel. They told me about a new replacement that Valeo makes. I purchased if from dialaclutch and it was way less than what the dealer wanted for the original. Great item!
    I wouldn't pay what my vw dealer wanted and I found a clutch and flywheel that replaced the original one. It cost way less and I'm happy. This company dialaclutch had it in stock and they were very helpful. No more dealer clutches for me!
    is the clutch skipping - reving high rps before the clutch grabs? If so, it's the clutch and possible flywheel, not the transmission. I called dialaclutch.com for my stuff
  • alagaalaga Member Posts: 3
    Hi all - a weeks or so ago I was driving my 95 Jetta (automatic) through a parking lot and upon braking it felt as though the car wanted to keep moving (strongly pushing ahead). This kept happening as I slowed at stop signs & luckily I made it home. Had my dad drive it and he noticed this problem occurring after the engine had warmed, but not before (may be a coincidence, not sure??). Left the vehicle sit for 5 days (I was out of town) - when I tried to drive the vehicle after this, the engine would start fine, but when I tried putting it into reverse it would shudder and clunk out. Same problem when I tried drive. I also tried letting the engine warm in park, then shifting into R and D, and still clonked out. Called the local independent VW mechanic & they were able to get it going enough to get back to their shop. They're saying that the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Just curious if these symptoms seem like tranny problems - I'm not a car person. If you need more info, please ask and I'll provide! Thanks much!
  • viejojimviejojim Member Posts: 1
    without any warning, signs or anything, could not get my 1999 manual VR6 into reverse. No noises, no smells no anything. Also, when I put it into 1st gear, it doesn't seem to be at its normal gear ration - as if I am in 3rd. Car has 120k miles. No mechanics over the 4th July weekend, and just wondering if it sounds like a worn out clutch. Any thoughts, suggestions or advise would be appreciated - - viejo jim
  • ja87birdja87bird Member Posts: 2
    I had the same exact problem with mine last night I have a 99 2.0. I was hoping someone would have responded. Let me know if you find out what the problem is.Thanks John
  • ja87birdja87bird Member Posts: 2
    just the linkage $180 @ the dealer, not as bad as I thought!
  • styloebstyloeb Member Posts: 1
    Please help me out I am in some deep stuff with my car. I need to get it fixed before mon. next week for work.
    OK Problem.... Right out of no where after I have been driving for a bit. I shut down the engine to get a drink or something come back out and try to start my car and its like the clutch is sticking inside the trans. I can push in the peddle and try to start the car but its like its only half way engaged and the car leeps forward or backward depending on what gear I am in. So me with little extra money to spend on car repairs decides to do the whole shift with no clutch thing. I start it like its in gear... jump jump jump and go. and drive with no clutch. Stop signs ,lights, traffic I pull it out of gear and coast shut the motor off put it in first and start it jump jump jump go. I have never heard of a clutch sticking rather then burning up. I have burned up a clutch before and with that there is nothing there absolutely nothing but this is on the other end of the spectrum. If I get a clutch package and put it in will that fix the problem ? Or is going to get deeper then that ? Please Help me out !! Thank You Styloeb
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your clutch cable may need adjusting. Some '92s have adjustable clutch cables and some are self-adjusting. If your clutch is self-adjusting to the maximum, it might be clutch disk time for you. If it's the adjustable type (the self-adjusting type has a rubber boot on top of the clutch cable sleeve) you can adjust it to get back free-play in the clutch so that it doesn't grab like that.

So look at the cable before you rip the clutch out. You may not need one.
  • beahrbeahr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 04 VR6 w/man 6spd trans that is stuck in 5th gear, the shift lever and cables still appear to be functioning, ( moving in and out and up and down. ) When any other gear is selected the trans is actually in two gears at once and the car will not budge. Are the vertical selector shafts prone to damage? or is this an internal problem?
  • dabatman99dabatman99 Member Posts: 1
    The idle will lope a bit and not run quite steady when it is first started and cold. After it runs a while and warms up, it smooths out a bit better, but then when I turn on air condition, the idle will lope again. Any ideas?
  • ussriderussrider Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 jetta with 130,000 miles. While driving it shifts from first to second fine but winds to about 4,000 rpm to shift in to third gear, and will not shift into overdrive at all. Once in a while will slip into netural and you have to back off the throttle to let it slip back into gear. Any thoughs on this problem anything I can do short of replacing the trans. Thanks in advance
  • borisitoborisito Member Posts: 3
    if ur AC makes any difference the first things u should check are the belts on the engine, see if they are cracked or loose on the pulleys. while doing this wiggle the pullies too just to make sure they are all good, anything that doesn't seem tight enough to hold straight should be inspected closer and possibly replaced. chances are that its expanding after it heats up and tightens the belt to the pullies so everything gets a little better traction to get power out of the crank; there might be 2 belts on ur car so make sure u check on the inside bottom of the big belt to see if there is another one hidden (make sure u use a light!). the tensioner on the big belt is on top and the small belt is on bottom and is like a little cog for a gear or something, u need to slack off the hold down bolt and turn the cog to tighten that one, dont forget to tighten the bolt down while u hold the cog tight. the top tensioner is easier to figure out :)
  • raul99jettaraul99jetta Member Posts: 2
    hi
    my name is raul im from kansas city i will like to know if anyone can help me solve my jetta problem.its automatic tranny
    it goes up to 65 mph but it will not gear out from 3rd shift into 4th my rpms will go up if i keep pressing the gas pedal can anybody help me?

any help i can get from anyone..
    please help me out
  • raul99jettaraul99jetta Member Posts: 2
    hi
    my name is raul
    i got the same problem
    1999 jetta
    it will go 1.2.3 gears and then it will not go up to 4th gear
    my rpms go up but im afraid its gonna burn my tranny
    let me know if you have any ideas on the problem

my car is automatic
  • kyzersozeykyzersozey Member Posts: 1
    I have a manual 99 Jetta. Last fri., out of no where, the car went crazy. I am experiencing problems in all gears throughout my ride. It seems as if the gears are not fully engaging or catching anything which causes a reduction in acceleration and a major increase in my rpms. I was trying to do a bit of troubleshooting when I noticed something else. Occasionally, when the car comes to a complete stop, it does not die while still in gear and with my foot off the clutch pedal. I just sits and idles at slighly high rpms and seems like it wants to die. If anyone has experienced this or has an idea of what the problem may be, please respond
    thank you in advance
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    How many miles are required for manual transmission fluid flush/change? Also, for the fuel filter change? Please let me know as the owner's manual has not mentioned that.
  • dieselkingdieselking Member Posts: 1
    how did you make out,I have almost the same problem
    This should tell you.

Maintenance Schedules
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    When was the last time you had the transmission fluid and differential oil changed?

If the answer is "I don't know" or "never" - That's part of the problem.

Don't let anyone (including the dealer) con you into thinking that the transmission fluids are "lifetime" fluids. "Lifetime" fluids are like snipes - non existant.

Follow the service manual for the transmission service intervals. Short of that, have the transmission service performed every 60,000 miles (auto trans) or 30,000 miles (manual trans).
  • troymobleytroymobley Member Posts: 1
    Usually it shifts smooth, but about once a week it revs higher maybe 200 rpm then goes into the final gear hard (as if I ran over a 2X4 with the car) :( The tranny had a fluid/filter change at 75,000 and all was normal in the pan and filter. The fluid level was good at change and is correct now. We installed a reman valve body with new solenoids with no help. Now it has 82,000.
    Thanks
    Troy
  • robin52228robin52228 Member Posts: 11
    While driving to work today my car stopped accelerating when I gave it gas. I rolled to the side of the road and was able to put it in park. It will start up and idle as usual. The exhaust system lit up solid yellow and all the gear settings (P N D....) flashed red. I had it towed to the dealership which was ironically 2 blocks away!! Any heads up as to what to expect? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. 90,000 mi.+/-
  • hllen1hllen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jetta VR6 and the shifting between 2nd and 3rd was hard and after the dealer wanting 4g's I found that the TCM Unit was defective, found one for $120 and solved my issue.
  • cascadejimcascadejim Member Posts: 11
    Not sure what you mean with exhaust flashing yellow, but do you have any aftermarket stuff in your car (specifically a chip?). If not, it could be an 02 sensor, but it sounds like you were put into "limp" mode because of some sort of unusual condition that repeated itself more than once during that drive. Usually after a few minutes you can get it back, but it depends on what your computer thinks is happening. I'd be interested to hear the diagnosis from the dealer.
  • Un1Qu3Un1Qu3 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 jetta vw and i just got a new transmission instaled in it the problem is didnt like how the transmission worrks and now im thinking about changing from a auto to a manual transmission any comments ??
    or tips on why the transmission aint working how a new transmission should i also had a rebuilt motor instaled in it .
    thanks
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    im thinking about changing from a auto to a manual transmission any comments ??

Yes, sell it and buy one with a manual. Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to convince my kid to sell you his supercharged '96 with manual trans ;) .

You can not convert for any reasonable cost.
  • FharenNicoleFharenNicole Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX that is at 90,000 miles. I'm posting this thread to see if anyone else is having a transmisson problem. When I would start my car cold it would skip from 1st to 3rd and the rpm's would shoot up to about 50/60 before it would even shift from 1st to 3rd and then my car would jerk. So I took it to the dealership because my check engine light was on as well and they told me that it is my transmission and they don't rebuild and it'll cost $5,500 dollars total. I've been looking around online and have found numerous cases with reports of the same problem and that Volkswagen did absolutely nothing to help. So, I was wondering how many other people on this site have had the same problem and what they ended up doing or are thinking about doing. Because...I am wondering if it is just a problem with the car because a 6 year old car shouldn't be having transmisson problems especially one with the reputation of a Volkswagen. So i'm thinking maybe if we can get as many people to ban together as possible something can get done finally.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Does your car shift properly when warm? If so, then I would not take the dealer's word about needing a new transmission. Take it to another dealer or a reputable mechanic that knows VW's. Good Luck.
  • lvlttrlvlttr Member Posts: 1
    got two recalls and catalytic converter remove & reinstall-does not say replaced and for the second time in one year spark plugs & ingi leads replaced. ($347 & 4 hours later)Left dealer service center-went two blocks ,heard a rattle and thought a nut or clamp must need tightening so turned around and brakes locked. Went back to dealer who said now I need a master cylinder & booster-and there is no connection to the work he just performed. I don't believe it because i had been hooked up to the diagnostic and wouldn't it have shown up?And I have never had a prior problem, no warning signs or problems before. I don't know where the connection is so can't argue but I left him without doing the work-he just unlocked the brake. Help me understand what happened, do I have a case and I can't trust this dealer so where do I go from here. Thanks
  • Derrick_76Derrick_76 Member Posts: 4
    When driving the other day up a hill my transmission slipped out of 5th gear without making any noises at all. All of the other gears work fine except for 5th. I am not sure what it could be anybody have any ideas? The car has about 235,000 on it and runs great.
    When driving the other day up a hill my transmission slipped out of 5th gear without making any noises at all. All of the other gears work fine except for 5th. I am not sure what it could be anybody have any ideas? The car has about 235,000 on it and runs great.
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    If you mean the shifter stays in 5th but the motor revs up most likely just a worn clutch...if the shifter moves jumping out of 5th into neutral..it can be mount or linkage problem or more seriously and more likely excessive wear on the 5th fork, slider and or gear inside the transmission and under a load it just moves out of position because it can't stay locked properly. Check the mounts and check the shift linkages first for any excessive play or movement.
    Thanks for the reply. At first I thought it would be the clutch but all of the other gears work fine. The clutch is a old but it still feels pretty good. The shifter does stay in position in 5th and does not jump out into neutral. I looked at the linkage and everything still looks good and is not real sloppy. Do you think it is worth splitting the trany and looking in to see if the shaft is broke or the gear is out of position. I believe 5th is right there at the end. Do you know of any sites with good transmission breakdowns for the jetta?
    hard to say what's going on but if indeed your linkage is tight and adjusted properly and still no 5th gear, then 5th gear has somehow slipped off the shaft....maybe something backed off in the transmission---so you'll have to break it open. Is it worth it? Well, to R&R takes a pro mechanic about 5 hours (not including any overhaul). With overhauling it, probably 10 hours for a pro----and this doesn't include differential work.

I guess if the rest of the car is really nice, clean, good running, it might be worth doing, but if the car has other body/mechanical issues, you might do better to find another car rather than be spending serious money on this one. It's a toss-up IMO.
  • yoincayoinca Member Posts: 3
    Code P0715 calls for input turbine/ speed sensor circuit malfunction, so where is this sensor located? Is it the G38, G68 or...? I will repair it myself after a $2200 repair with no luck, the car stays locked in 3rd gear (safe mode). Please somebody tell me where it is so that I can trace the wires, thanx.
    For the 4 Speed Automatic 01M it's on the top of the transmission.
  • 01BlueJetta01BlueJetta Member Posts: 1
    Very recently my transmission has had problems shifting into 1st gear. It will rev really high and then shift with a huge jerk & noise. If I hold in the brake while also pushing the gas the car will shift much easier. I took it to a shop today that was going to flush and fill, only to be told that car was not able to be flushed and I had to replace the entire transmission. Does this sound right?
  • possedjettapossedjetta Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2002 Jetta (v6 automatic), it will not shift out of 1st until it is warmed up to 190 degrees. VW will not touch their own tranies and told me the same thing, remove & replace only, but they are not sure if that would fix the problem. How could the transmission only be bad when it's cold? They also told me it may be a faulty valve...but again they are just guessing as I am getting no fault codes. I have it at Aamco right now and they are telling me it’s not the transmission at all. They believe it’s the break light switch (which I just had replaced in Aug 08 when the transmission was slipping out of 3rd into neutral). The transmissions are reparable you just have to find someone who will do it...not VW.
  • 1982bliax1982bliax Member Posts: 1
    My husband bought me a 02 VW jetta in 2006 :) , never had any issues until we had a recall postcard in summer 2008. Took it in for recall on break lights :confuse: . No problem there, but after leaving the automotive shop it started shifting gears with a really hard jerk when you accelerate and when you are going into breaking it shifts gear really hard as well :sick: . I finally was scared of driving the car and took it into the Neillo VW dealer for a oil change, vehicle visual inspection, and an engine light check for diagnostics. After waiting two hours, the service associate comes to tell me what is wrong with the car with a bunch of vocabulary I didn't know and verbage on my vehicle stating bottom tubo tub installed wrong, not stock type turbo tube. Also, to replace ecm software??? and tcm codes on engine torque for solenoid #5. Dealer don't know if engine problem or transmission problem, charge me for this lost $1068.00 :cry: . I told the service associate I wanted to speak with a vehicle technician not a service associate. They explained only they do the talking. The service associate tells me to not drive the car, needs a trans diagnostic and recheck codes on trans, maybe code #10 solenoid and a 1598 pinout also: will cost another $2500.00. So I told them, just because I am a woman I don't know anything about cars...You just want money, I am not stupid..paid them..drove off...Driving out of the dealership was even worse. The shifts are more stronger and intense. What should I do before going back? Are they right? Or should I just buy a new transmission and install it myself???
  • hanskahanska Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Jetta and mine does that too, when i first got it about 2 years ago it didnt but after about 10-12 months the speedo started jumping around at 60 mph cruise control stopped working and my rpm's jumped up to 3000 at 60-65. I was told it had to do with a gear inside the transmittion, and it would cost about 1500 to fix at the cheapest.. i would love to know how to get it fixed or if that is normal...
  • hanskahanska Member Posts: 2
    Last night i locked the door on my 2003 jetta and proceeded up my drive way when the alarm went off. I went back unlocked and relocked the doors, everything seemed to be fine when at 2 am this morning my alarm went off again. When i started down the driveway it shut off. and didnt start again. Today when i got in the car to go to the store my open door light began to ficker like a door was not shut all the way. so i checked all the doors and they were closed. I have no clue if one is related to the other but if anyone has any ideas im sure it would make my neighbors happy in the middle of the night.
  • rap6rap6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a vw 2003 VR6 triton auto transmission. I had problems with it shifting heard in first and second gear. I took to a shop, they said i needed to place a seinord. The shop didn't find any metal in the pan and the oil was clean that came out.
    Is this serious? will I have transmission problems later with the car. I currently have 84,000 miles on the car.
  • smf1036smf1036 Member Posts: 2
    My son's 2001 Jetta with 145k miles on it, has trouble shifting when going from high cruise speed to low. Normal speeds and shifting are fine. Dealer tells us most likely low on trans fluid ($400). I am sure they will just happen to find metal shavings in the pan when they remove. They say they have to keep the car overnight to check when the fluid is coolest.

any of this make sense?

Thanks.
  • smf1036smf1036 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had to replace their timing belt (chain, i'm not sure) on a 2001 Jetta? What was the cost, and is it necessary if there are no apparent problems?

Thanks.
  • jeftajefta Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jetta GLS, 2.0L, auto transmission with issues which seem very similar. When I first began having concerns, I would get what I thought were hard shifts from 1 to 2 to 3. The problem was intermittent however so I was unable to pinpoint it. Then, after a relatively long trip, after coming off the highway speed of 120 km/hr, I was unable to get it to shift into 4th gear. I stopped at a friend's house where the car sat for an hour. When I began driving again, the issue had gone. I just completed another long trip and the same issue is present. When it first occured, I pulled over, turned off the ignition and then restarted. For a short period, the problem went away. From what I have read, I believe the transmission is likely going into safe mode thereby disabling 4th. Now, I can't get it to go into 4th at all. I am interested in the specifics of the cable that was replaced from the transmission to the computer. Do you have a part number I can reference? I think this could be the problem as the situation is similar.
  • mrks307mrks307 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift crazy) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!