Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Security Systems

pham0167pham0167 Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Honda
Does anyone know what kind of security the new Civic has? I know that it has anti-theft radio because the console covers the radio, but does it have an alarm system that sounds when someone tries to break in, bump the car, or breaks the window? I'm thinking of installing a security system with shock sensos, glass sensor, and an alarm pager...does anyone have any experience to recommend what and where? Thanks

Comments

• mazinimazini Member Posts: 2
    I am currently trying to install a remote starter/alarm combo to my 1993 Honda Civic. The device is an X-Sheild XS-800S. I was told by the manufacturer that it works for both manual and automatic transmission, although it only came with installation diagrams for automatic transmission.
    I am looking for some information on how to wire the remote starter part of the system for a manual car. I know that I must bypass the starter wire and somehow connect to the clutch switch, but I don't know how.
    If anyone can help me or has come across a good resource, please let me know.
    Thanks for the help,
    M
  • cdanyowcdanyow Member Posts: 4
    ok with a m/t you have to take the starter wire and run it directly to the starter wire ON THE STARTER, dont use a small guage wire could cuase a fire. but also make sure u hookup the e-brake wire to the parking brake wire to prevent any unwanted starting will in gear....
  • mrdee427mrdee427 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 EX A/T w/Navi and I've tried enabling the auto-lock feature by following the instructions in the owner's manual without success. Anyone else have this problem, or am I missing something?
  • worrywartworrywart Member Posts: 8
    hey man

i've had lojack and viper for over 10 years and that's what i'm using for my new Si. Lojack is good for prevent and retrieval, Viper has some good features too. if someone bumps your car it'l page you (pager in your pocket)

Lojack can be set up to call your cell phone

with these cars you can't be lax because it'l get stripped or stolen - you'll never see it again especially if its got good condition or fancy accessories

good luck
  • pham0167pham0167 Member Posts: 48
    What's the security system that comes with the Civic? what happens if someone bumps into the car or pulls on the door handle or breaks in the glass? are there sirens for those scenarios? is Viper easy enough to install myself or would i need to go through a professional? and how much would it be?

What is the cheapest/basic Viper model that would have basic alarm with a two-way remote/pager? I don't need remote start either. The closest and cheapest is the Viper 5000 i've found.

Thanks for the help
  • stevenpphstevenpph Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same car and I activated the auto door lock feature - I set it to lock as soon as I move the AT out of Park. Do you have an after market car alarm installed? My car came from the dealer with an additional, after-market car alarm installed. To get my Civic to lock the doors I had to disable the car alarm's auto-door lock feature (mine was set up to lock the doors as soon as I turned on the ignition, which I didn't like). Also, the Civic's procedure to enable its auto lock is rather complicated - make sure you follow it EXACTLY, STEP BY STEP. My car alarm is actually kind of handy - it can also be independently enabled to unlock the doors when I turn off the ignition - a feature that the Civic doesn't have.
    Is there a way to set the front passenger door to un lock automatically? People who ride in my car have to manually push the unlock button before they open the door after a drive, otherwise I'd have to push the unlock button myself...it's a bit tedious for the passengers sometimes....why can't it unlock automatically when the passenger opens from the inside?
    Is there a way to set the front passenger door to un lock automatically? People who ride in my car have to manually push the unlock button before they open the door after a drive, otherwise I'd have to push the unlock button myself...it's a bit tedious for the passengers sometimes....why can't it unlock automatically when the passenger opens the door from the inside?
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I believe the locks are programmable, so you should be able to do that. Check your owners manual as there is some kind of a sequence to that.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

I've tried what it says in the owner's manual without any luck. It says for a manual transmission to:
    1. put on car parking break
    2. turn key to II position
    3. press and hold the driver's door "unlock" button to hear two clicks (1st click after 5 secs, 2nd click after 10 secs)
    4. within 5 secs of hearing the second click, turn key to I position

I've followed those steps at least 3-4 times and have had a second person check the directions. I've also pulled the key out after the steps and restart the car, and start the car immediately after completing those steps...and everytime, the front passenger doesn't unlock from the inside.

Anyone know what I could be doing wrong? do I need the gears to be in 1st, not in gear, feet on brakes?
    Got it to work with three clicks, not two
  • tsty1019tsty1019 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 civic ex with a factory alarm installed. I locked the doors with the car remote which engaged the alarm...and now when i go to unlock the car with the remote it wont unlock. So now i have to unlock the car with the key which sets the alarm off and i also cannot turn the car on because it will set the alarm off again. Will it mess anything up in the car if i disconnect the alarm from the stock radio even though the alarm is still engaged
  • roseohroseoh Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Civic. I had a Honda Civic Remote Control Starter System installed by the Honda Dealer. I am disappointed in the results. It does not seem to warm the vehicle at all, even after running for 10 minutes and with the fan on high. The heat gauge does not move. Has anyone else had a Honda Remote Starter installed? Is it possible mine may be installed incorrectly? I live in Canada and wanted the starter to take the chill off and clear the windows of frost. I would appreciate your feedback.
  • ijsamuelijsamuel Member Posts: 1
    When I first purchased the car back in March of 06, I remember after closing the doors and 5-6 seconds later, the car would automatically lock and engage the alarm system. This was a convenience, just in case I forgot to press the button to engage the alarm system.

In the interim, I played around with the auto-locking/unlocking feature, so that the car doors would lock after AT was moved out of Park and unlock the drivers side door after putting AT back into Park. After finding this a nuisance, I disabled locking when AT is moved out of Park.

And now, I've noticed that the car does not lock by itself after doors are closed and waiting more than 5 seconds. How do I enable this again without enabling the feature to lock the doors after AT is taken out of park?

Also, the locking/unlocking feature was a nuisance since only the drivers side door would unlock after putting AT back into Park. Is there anyway to unlock all doors?
  • tkd2000tkd2000 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX sedan (Canadian model, which is equivalent to a US Civic DX sedan model according to Edmunds.com: no power lock, no power window, etc). The car has the dealer installed antitheft system which is armed and unarmed with the Honda keyless entry remote (the remote does not lock or unlock as the car has NO power lock, just arm and disarm the antitheft system), I recently bought an additional used Honda keyless entry remote identical to the one I have (which works, same FCC ID: A269ZUA101, same Canada number, same Ref No, same P/N: 08E61-S01-1M0-01).

I try to use these following instructions available online to reprogram the remote I just bought but it does not seem to work:

1. Turn Key to on position.
    2. Push and hold valet button on the stock radio (which is skinny bar located between am/fm & cd/tape buttons on stock radio). Door locks will cycle one time.
    3. Press any button on remote one time within 20 seconds. Door locks will cycle again.
    4. To program up to 4 additional remotes repeat step 3 for each remote.
    5. Turn key off programming is complete.

As my car does not have power locks, the door locks will not cycle as indicated in step 3 above. So I do not if these program instructions are incorrect or the remote I just bought is defective as I cannot use it to arm or disarm the antitheft system.

Does anyone know of about a different procedure to reprogram a keyless entry remote for a 1997 Honda Civic with a dealer installed antitheft system (but NO power lock)? I am sure that someone has been through this before and has it resolved. Please share the solution.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/information.
  • worrywartworrywart Member Posts: 8
    i just had all my wheels stolen on sunday morning between midnite and morning... so some dirtbags have my wheels and now i'm going to be ready when they come back ... and they will... and i'm waiting and so is my whole neighborhood. so if someone trys to sell you what's left of my grey 5 spoke rims with racing tires,...

message to the dirtbags/scum, if you come back for the rest of my car, get ready for a big SURPRISE!
  • brw115brw115 Member Posts: 13
    Sorry about your wheels- but would the "scumbags" really be reading this forum? Be careful with posting veiled threats, it can be used against you if something inadvertently happens to the trash that stole your wheels. Sometimes the law works better for the criminals than for the victims. I hope you recover your wheels.
  • slerpslerp Member Posts: 2
    I am picking up a new 07 lx coupe either later today or tomorrow and I was just wondering... Can installing an aftermarket alarm or remote start such as a viper one void the warranty for any reason? Like would they say that whoever did it made some electrical problems or whatnot, or is that not a concern?

BTW... Stock, it does not come with an alarm that actually makes sound does it?

Thanks in advance
  • tkd2000tkd2000 Member Posts: 4
    I was able to reprogram the remote to work on my 1997 Civic antitheft system, by using a different set of programming instructions (the Accord 1998-2002 appears to use the same remote), available at handaaccessories.com.
  • smnasonsmnason Member Posts: 10
    I have a question:

Whenever I turn off the car the driver side door locks unlock, but none of the others. I have to manually press the door unlock button to unlock all the other doors. Do any of you know if this is normal or if there is a fix for this? Is there, perhaps, a way to program the automatic locks so that all of the doors unlock when you turn off the car?

Thanks for your help.
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    Did you get a quick start guide when you bought your car? If you did the directions are in there under Locks/Windows/Mirrors. If you didn't get the quick start book let know and I will give you the directions on how to unlock all doors when putting the car in park.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    it's a bit involved to re-type here, suffice it to say if you look on page 84 of the owner's manual, it gives a step-by-step to change unlocking only the driver's door or all doors. Only works on automatics, btw.

I never even knew this was an option, thanx will26 for the heads-up.
    Thanks for the info...I ended up looking at the owner's manual. After a couple tries, I was able to get it to work. :)
    since you got yours to work....any tricks? I have been trying for several hours to switch mine to both doors unlock without luck.
    It took me a couple tries, but this is what I ultimately did. I started the car, unlocked the parking break and put the car in the drive position. I then lifted the parking break, and put the car in park. I turned off the car to the lock position. I then turned the key to position (II). At that point I pressed the unlock button for about ten seconds. You need to wait until you hear three clicks (the first one will occur immediately). Once you hear three clicks, turn the key to the lock position. The locks should be programmed at that point.

Let me know how it works for you.
    it worked just like you said. The manual is a bit unclear. The 3 clicks is the key part i was missing.

thanx again. My wife really appreciates it...as will any one who rides with me. Being able to get out seems important.....
    I'm glad it worked. My wife was pretty annoyed as well.
  • lakewood90712lakewood90712 Member Posts: 108
    Any way to disable it so new keys don't cost $40 ??????????
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    very short answer...NO! It would be easier to keep track of your keys.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    What is the are the features of the standard security alarm on the Civic? Does it just go off when the doors are opened? How about when the trunk is popped?
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Doors, trunk and hood all connected to the factory alarm, according to my owners manual.
  • sweetie45sweetie45 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought our 18 year old daughter her first car, a 2005 Honda Civic LX coupe automatic. This is the first Honda in our family. We bought from a dealer for 12,995.00 with 37,000 miles. Car is certified with warranty. We opted to pay 695.00 extra for keyless remote/security as they said this model didn't come with it. I find that hard to believe. Can anyone tell me if some LX coupe models in 2005 did not come with this feature or was this standard in this model. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • mrchemomrchemo Member Posts: 1
    Heh Guys, I just picked up my new Civic LX mannual drive and notice in the dealers failed attempt to get me to buy the extended warranty there was the Lojack tracking option. Now they were pricing it at $695, I read on the web that dealers are marking it up $400 bucks for the installtion to get people to pay the$695. Has anyone else had expeience with this or been offered this and able to negotiate on the price?

thanks

rich
    Can anyone tell me if some LX coupe models in 2005 did not come with this feature or was this standard in this model.

The dealer is correct, keyless entry was not a standard feature in the LX models in 2005, it was only offered in the EX models.

And the Honda factory security system was an upgrade to all Civics in that year.

Here's a web-site where these accessories are sold where you can verify this information. Just scroll down to the descriptions of the Keyless and the Security System and you can see these accessories are meant to be sold for the 2005 LX.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_4dr_accessories/03_05_electronics.h- tm
  • twothink02twothink02 Member Posts: 5
    So my insurance company is asking for verification of vehicle anti-theft device. Since the 2008 Civic LX has anti-theft as a standard, I'm not sure how to fill out the form.

Anti-theft: passive or active
    Does the device disable the vihicle (is it an ignition or fuel system cut-off) sound an audible alarm, or both?
    Device manufacturer's name:
    Device model name/number and serial number:

They also want a dealer's invoice which is easy enough (or some sort of proof of anti-theft installation) but the invoice doesn't have the anti-theft listed since it's standard. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Anti-theft: passive or active
    Does the device disable the vihicle (is it an ignition or fuel system cut-off) sound an audible alarm, or both?
    Device manufacturer's name:
    Device model name/number and serial number:

Technically there are two anti-theft devices. The immobilizer system which is passive and cuts the fuel line if it does recognize the chip in the key. The security alarm is active (it only turns on when you lock the doors) and it sounds an audible alarm.

As for the device model number you should ask your insurance agent how to fill that out or just put down Honda standard system.
  • stevenwcstevenwc Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 Civic. I have several questions. 1. how effective is the security system 2. I am thinking about buying LoJack and would that be the best thing even though they have a security system in the Civic?
    I purchased a Clifford 12.5X in addition to the Honda Security System.

http://www.clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=705

I arm both the factory system as well as the Clifford. With both systems armed, I'm not too concerned with the car being stolen so I didn't get the Lo Jack. I was more concerned about vandalism such as stealing the Nav System. With the Clifford, I have a shock sensor which will detect window breakage. I also have a two way transmitter which will instantly page me should something occur. My car is parked on the opposite side of my apartment building, so I wanted something which would alert me at night that something was happening.

The bright flashing blue light of the Clifford is also a nice touch---lets people know that there is something else in there other than the Honda factory system.
  • stevenwcstevenwc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I will check into that system. I have also been reading about Window Etching and wonder how effective that might be
This discussion has been closed.