Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Aura Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    XE's are nice too. I actually got an 07 XR for 21K out the door back in Sept. There was a 2K rebate plus 1500 conquest rebate for a total of 3500 off. Check your dealer to see if there are any 07's left and what the current rebates are.
  • Options
    hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I was not aware of the extra $1K conquest rebate on the 2007....thanks. I just spoke to another dealer with some 07 stock and they seemed to indicate I needed a trade to get that amount...which I have but is that accurate in case I get low balled. Also, how has your mileage been in the XR? Any major differences between the 07 and 08?
  • Options
    hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I just got clarification that you don't need a trade but it seems to only be $500...maybe it varies by region..where do you live...I am in NY.
  • Options
    steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    I have driven both. In fact I have driven the hybrid also. In my opinion, they all had enough power, but I chose the XR because I wanted the most power and I wanted some of the extras that only the XR offered.
    As far as mileage, I mostly drive mine back and forth to work and around town taking and picking up my 2 teenagers. I have been getting 26-27 MPG. I am very happy with this and absolutely love my XR.
    See my photos in my album..........
  • Options
    gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    On 11/20/07 my wife and I leased a new Saturn Aura after leasing Buicks for the past 17 years. We decided on a loaded XR. Using the current $1000.00 GM Red Tag incentive, a GM friends and family discount (not the employee discount) and $1674.00 of our own money, our 39 month/ 39 K mile lease is costing $310.00 per month, including a 6% Michigan sales tax. We were both very impressed with the car and decided on it over the new Malibu LTZ, primarilly due to the styling. We were also very impressed with the treatment we received at the dealer - Saturn of Grand Ledge, Michigan. A first class buying experience all the way through. Hope we enjoy the car.
  • Options
    theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    I am new to Saturns. Have always purchased cars where you haggle w/the salesperson. Is it true that there is no negotiation on the Saturn price? I am looking at a 08 XE 3.5L Aura w/Preferred Package only. Since I have always previously purchased my car, I understand the costs, taxes, fees, etc. How is leasing different? I want to make sure that I do not get "taken" should I decide to lease. Any help is appreciated!
  • Options
    I posted just before you (#53). Here's what I found out while shopping for a lease on a Saturn: They do hold to a predetermined price. I checked with 4 or 5 different dealers here and they all came up with the same lease payment, given the same criteria. In addition to the $1000.00 Saturn rebate, I used a discount offered by GM, available from any GM employee or GM retiree. Those 2 discounts subtracted from MSRP, established the price of the car. You will pay state sales tax up front on the rebate but not on the sale price of the car as you do when purchasing. Instead, you pay sales tax on each monthly payment. Make sure the lease payment you are quoted includes this sales tax. You will also pay up front your 1st months lease payment, document fee, license transfer fee, vehicle registration fee plus any other fees that are different from what we have here in Michigan. Make sure you stick with a GMAC lease. Putting more money down than the "up fronts" will lower your payment but won't lower the cost of the lease. Usually it's better to put as little down as possible in a lease.The length of the lease will make a difference in your lease payment. Generally, the longer the lease the lower the payment - but not always. Have the dealer quote you different length leases. The key factor in whether a lease is a good idea is the number of miles you drive per year. If you can get by with 12 or 15K per year a lease will work. If it's more than that, or if you are uncertain how many miles you will drive later during your lease, it might be better to buy. Once you sign the lease that's pretty much what you have to live with. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the info. It helps alot. One more question...the dealer that I went to had additional charges on the Aura; a $995 charge for detailing, pinstriping, window tinting, etc and a $695 charge for interior protection - scotchguarding, etc. Can these charges be asked to be removed? Do all Saturn dealers have these charges? When I have purchased other manufacturers' cars, I have had them deduct them from the sale price, but with leasing, I don't know. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I encountered this same situation at the Saturn dealer I leased from. Naturally they like to sell these "add ons" as they generate big profits for the dealer. I picked out a car that did not have these intems installed (just arrived from the factory). I would say that if they have actually done the work that they are charging for, you will have to pay for them in order to lease that particular car. If they have a sticker on the window indicating the price for these ad ons - such as the pin stripe, window tinting etc. but they have not actually been done to the car, then you should not HAVE to purchase them in order to lease that car. If they insist that every car they sell has these add ons, go to another dealer. Someone will be willing to lease you a car without the add ons. For the most part these items make no sense on a leased car. Remember, you are just renting a car from GM and have to give it back. Why pay for window tinting, pin stripes, etc. for the next owner of the car?
  • Options
    strikemanstrikeman Member Posts: 18
    Was looking for a Saturn Aura. Went to Saturn of Austin. For a '08 Saturn XE with 4cyld, alloy wheels & power drivers seat the car came to $17k + TTL (which I was told would be about $1400 in Austin. TX). I didnt buy the car though because my wife & I decided on a Nissan Altima but fantastic car, good value for money.

1) The $17k was with all discounts - supplier price + $1250 rebate for year end + $500 rebate for Austin Auto Show (that was good thru Dec 25).

2) fantastic experience at Saturn of Austin. They really wanted to sell their cars, talked directly to the GM. Very friendly folks, the only dealership that let us test drive the car alone for over 30 mins. When we still werent too sure, they let us have the car for the weekend !! 10 times better dealer experience than any of the dealers we went to.

3) was surprised GM didnt have usual $500 recent grad discount & $500 loyalty rebate (I also own a '04 Saab 9-3) but check on those since GM usually has those.

4) maybe the car had to breakin but in my test drives I couldnt get more than 21 mpg !! thats horrible for a 4 cyld. This while driving the car as if egg shells were on the pedal. A '07 used Aura XE with 6 cyld my friend has with about 21k miles on it gave avg 26 mpg so i would just check the 4 cyld with a few miles on it before buying a 4 cyld.

5) that has got to be the worse steering on earth !! its too loose. that stupid electrical steering fad that GM is on now. Its too light, brand new car on highway required constant course correction.

We almost bought the car because of the value & look but we have been import buyers and the Altima really seemed worth the extra $2k (better interior fit & finish, better mileage)
  • Options
    steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    One more question...the dealer that I went to had additional charges on the Aura; a $995 charge for detailing, pinstriping, window tinting, etc and a $695 charge for interior protection - scotchguarding, etc. Can these charges be asked to be removed? Do all Saturn dealers have these charges?

I experienced the same thing when I bought my 07 XR. The dealership in Savannah would not budge on these expensive add-ons (rip offs). So I went to Jacksonville, FL and bought one without the ~$1,000 mark up. Bottom line: you can try to negotiate the add ons!
  • Options
    mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    What is the best price anyone has got for a new 2008 Saturn Aura XE-4 (4 cyclinder) automatic with preferred package and alloy wheels in Northern California? Thanks.
  • Options
    brad30brad30 Member Posts: 5
    The saturn dealer which we have looked at includes a protection package in all their vehicles. This is a dealer add-on. As the dealer can add on whatever they want but I can accept and pay or potentially look to other cars/dealers, can this be negotiated away.....even with Saturn's no negotiation policy? Or simply negotiate by calling other dealers and buying elsewhere
  • Options
    kinneyrhskinneyrhs Member Posts: 4
    I just got back from the dealership and let me tell you, I really don't think I got the best price. Please let me know:

Looked at an XE 4 cyl with sunroof (only option). Sticker was about 22k. I get GMS pricing which brought it down to only about 20k. I wanted it with no money down and they wanted about $315/month on a 12k/39 month lease.

I am sorry but that seems very high considering they advertise the lease on their page for $219 with $2,500 down (about the difference b/t regular and employee pricing). I figured I should have been somewhere around $250/month on the lease.

Also, if you go to the GM Family & Friends website, they show that the lease should be about $260 per month with no money down. Can anyone tell me what gives?">link title
  • Options
    kinneyrhskinneyrhs Member Posts: 4
    Car_Man,

Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I am currently trying to get a deal on a 2008 Saturn Aura.

Could you tell me what GMAC's current base lease rate is on the 2008's (I will be using GMS pricing). Also, how do you get this rate? Is it based on credit? Because my dealership told me that you either qualify for a lease or you don't, no difference in rates.

Also, what is the current residual value on a 2008 Aura (XE - V6) on a 36 and/or 39 month lease?

Thanks for your help!!
  • Options
    brakbrak Member Posts: 11
    kinneyrhs,
    The dealer can get you in a variety of ways. But the biggest is your credit score which gives you finance options....what they advertise is for someone with probably 750 or better.
    I have bought 2 and leased 1 Saturn from the same dealer. I haggled everytime.
    Note: I have a 760 credit score so I did not put up with any Bull.....
    I was offered the 12/39 and pushed and got 15/39. I refused to pay for the $1200 in dealer add-ons, had them include the gap ins. The car I wanted was 300 miles away and got the car the next day.
    Great job on no money down.....never put money down on a lease.
    Are you happy with the car and the payment? If so, you got a good deal!!
  • Options
    brakbrak Member Posts: 11
    Car-man

2008 Aura XE V6
    MSRP $23,000, incentives $2500, sale price $20,500
    36 or 39 month lease 12,000K
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Well, until we have an Astra forum...

Saturn Astra, 2 door or 4 door hatch. No comparison to 08 Mazda 3 s 4 dr sport hatch. Alloys, abs airbags, pwr, 2.3l (vs 1.8 cyl astra). Cheap astra interior looking to boot. Compare them yourself. Also supress giggles at 20000-22000 msrp

Mazda 3 s sport msrp 19500 inc destination has sold all day long at $16700-17200 depending on time of model year for years. Very high quality. Stunning looks with blue or gray.

A 20000 msrp astra is barely a 15000 car if that. If no big discounts your solution is simple... nearest Mazda dealer. Even the 08 Pontiac Vibe and Toyota matrix auto well equipped were moving in the 15000's for a 19000+ msrp version lately.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome, kinneyrhs. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Saturn Aura XE V6 with 15,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 62%, respectively. The lease rate for a 39 month lease of this car is the same, but its residual value is 1% lower. Many banks use a tiered system that uses different money factors for consumers depending upon what their credit is like. GMAC uses more of a pass / fail system. You should have no problem qualifying for the aforementioned lease rate unless your credit is completely destroyed.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi brak. Even though Saturn has traditionally had no-haggle dealerships, most Saturn dealers will negotiate vehicles' selling prices today. I definitely would shop around and try to negotiate a lower price on this car if I was in the market for it. Unfortunately, the $2,500 in cash incentives that you mentioned in your post is not compatible with this car's special lease program. GM is providing lease cash on it in certain areas, but not nearly as much.

See my previous post for this car's lease rates and residual values. The 12,000 mile per year residual values are 2% higher than the 15k residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    300c300c Member Posts: 11
    Interested in leasing a 2008 Aura with MSRP of 22500. 3 yrs. 12000 miles.

With the new promo what should I expect the lease to cost. I am a returning GMAC
    pull ahead client. I also have available a $1000 gm card credit to apply.

Or would I be better off with purchase? What should the purchase price be?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nicerideniceride Member Posts: 3
    We bought a brand new aura xe v-6 in april of o8
    at a dealer in Fayetville, AR bronze peweter color with the 5 spoke chrome wheel covers, premium floor & trunk matts, 3 cargo nets, paint sealant, cloth protection, nitrogen filled tires, plus both preffered & enhanced pkg
    $18,110 cash out the door with insentives, not incl tax
  • Options
    mherbertmherbert Member Posts: 1
    I not only got a great deal the staff explained the benefits of the First Place Finish and it's protection for my investment. The cost of the great protection was only $299.00 and I did not see any add on's that totaled $999.00. I like the idea that I too can purchase for the same price as my neighbor or anyone without the GM Employee discount because you do get such great pricing. My experience at Saturn of Savannah was professional and very friendly.
  • Options
    thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Always remember your Saturn is an expense...not an investment ! :)
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Is the G6 the sister car of the Aura and Malibu? They all seem very close in length and appearance. Just curious. Had a G6 this last week and was a great road car.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Read the malibu forum. Same platform. The 21000msrp G6 has a trade in of 12000 and change in 12 months. the 21000 aura about 13000 and change. People are paying up for the 20000 Malibu but it will also be worth about 13000 and change in 12 months. The two others are all low 16000 vehicles (+ttl) mid model year on if that and the G6 15000. If you can get the mazda6 sedan for 16000 or the 09 Hyundai Sonata (20000) for 15000 and change definitely pass on all of them. Good luck

--jjf

Is the G6 the sister car of the Aura and Malibu? They all seem very close in length and appearance. Just curious. Had a G6 this last week and was a great road car.
  • Options
    goldenguygoldenguy Member Posts: 2
    Think twice about Aura.....I have had numerous mechanical issues as many others fact based if you do your homework. Simple google search on any of the following issues. Transmission Module, Brake Rotors, Interior Leather, Molding, Electrical Components. A lot of car for the price, but you suffer in the quality long run. Put a fork in Detroit (GM included) there done!! Never thought I would say my next car will be foreign.
This discussion has been closed.