Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Will keep you updated, but if you have the time, why not drive over there and see the CEO? I would if I could. It would probably take a while to get to see him, but sitting in his office will certainly pressure him somewhat.
    Also, if Hyundai is serious about becoming a major player, they need to take care of those of us who trusted them.
    I still believe it can be fixed, but it may cost them some money to do it. So be it, theie error, their cost.
    In the 70's, a friend of mine had a Baracuda with the crappy purple paint job. They all flaked off after 3 years or so. No help from Chrysler since it was out of warranty. He wrote Ralph Nader and copied Chrysler. Chrysler went 50/50 on a new paint job.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I had the front shocks replaced at about 5,000 miles. The car rode much better over over passes when cars tend to bounce. Now at 13,000 the ride is bad again. I can't believe shocks only last 8,000 miles. This only happend 5% of the time on a particular rode. I could slow down below 60 and minimze this. seem to rememeber my first Audi A6 (1998) did this also.Later Audi's had tighter suspension, a little too tight for me.Maybe I'll mention to the dealer or just deal with it. rides nice on freeways and around town.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

I am surprised it took you 8K miles with those replacement
    shocks until you noticed how bad they had become. :surprise:
    I noticed mine before ours had 5K on the originals and 5K on the TSB replacements.

The jury is still out on whether or not the latest front shocks, the 54611-3L640,
    are lasting longer than 5K miles before they go that same route.

It seems that MANDO cannot produce a dependable shock.
    Less than five thousand miles and they are worthless. :lemon:

It is perhaps a good thing that Hyundai has turned to Sachs for shocks for the Genesis,
    although one reporter wrote that he noticed porpusing in a new V6 Genesis he tested. :surprise:

:D
    Thanks

No, I have not tried. It is my understanding from others that Hyundai
    will not replace the shocks but one time and one time only!

Not that replacing the shocks with these same MANDO
    made pieces of junk would do any good don't you know. :lemon:

What would be the sense in replacing old shocks for
    the second or third time and have them fail yet again? :confuse:

The factory either must develope a good replacement shock or we will simply
    have to wait until some aftermarket shock producer comes through for us.

Bilstein . . are you paying attention? ;)

• grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    I too have gone thru the shock replacement routine on my '06 Azera and now I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the Hard as a Rock Michelins with a softer tire like a Good Year Comfortred. I know the Michelins deliver good wear characteristics but I think their hardness/stiffness is the source of much of the road noise transmission to the cockpit. The softer tires might reduce the suspension noises, too.
    Since the poor ride is caused by wallowing/bouncining/rolling, the tires are not the problem. However, if I keep the car long enough to get new tires, I will not get Michellins. Had Bridgestones on my Toyota and Mazda products and they did very well.
    I did write to Owen Koh, CEO of Hyundai Motors America and asked if they would replace my "new" 040's with 640's. Also asked about getting a special discount if I trade my Azera in on a Genesis.
    Will do - if I get an answer, but I am persistent.
    "I sent a letter to the CEO in CA regarding the latest experiences and specifically asked about getting the 640 shocks. No answer yet, but it takes them about a month to respond and of course, they have to contact the local and regional service managers and whoever they talked to first.
    Still hopeful something permanent can be done."

Anything back yet from Hyundai? I realize it has only been a little over
    two weeks since you wrote them, and I am not at all anxious. ;)

I have come to the 'educated' conclusion that the latest front shocks, part number 54611-3L640,
    may be the answer as I have contacted a very few new Azera owners, and some
    are coming back with the fact that their rides are not showing any front end
    problems even though they have passed the magical 5K miles barrior.

How do I and the many other extremely interested individuals contact the powers that be at Hyundai?
    Perhaps if we hit this individual up en masse we can get something going here? :confuse:

Worth a shot isn't it?

• zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    have come to the 'educated' conclusion that the latest front shocks, part number 54611-3L640,
    may be the answer as I have contacted a very few new Azera owners, and some
    are coming back with the fact that their rides are not showing any front end
    problems even though they have passed the magical 5K miles barrior.

How do I and the many other extremely interested individuals contact the powers that be at Hyundai?
    Perhaps if we hit this individual up en masse we can get something going here?

Worth a shot isn't it?

Hey Snag -

I'd be willing to join an "en masse" contact of the appropriate Hyundai personnel to get my front end shock problem resolved. I definately think it's worth a shot. My second set of shocks are no better than the original set. Otherwise, I love the car.

"I'd be willing to join an "en masse" contact of the appropriate Hyundai personnel to get my front end
    shock problem resolved. I definately think it's worth a shot. My second set of shocks are
    no better than the original set. Otherwise, I love the car."

Exactamente! That's what I am hoping for. ;)
    Most all of us have had the TSB done and after just 5K miles or less,
    we're right back where we all started from which is :lemon: city!

Pass the word. There are probably more people in this boat than those that are aboard here.

We will wait until Mr. Bob gets his answer back from Hyundai and if they won't
    do anything for Mr. Bob, we will all "en masse" write in or call or both.

• newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    I think my people in Iowa have FINNALY found the solution to the front end noise. I have an 07 that has had the noise since day one (sept. of 06). I have been to three dealers and until last week no one has had a clue what to do.
    After replacing the rear shocks and the front struts with no improvement they finally replaced the assembly on top of the struts and the car no longer clunks going over rough roads. It is such a diferance you wouldn't know it's the same car.
    Hi Newguy, Can you identify specifically which parts were replaced on top of the struts? The part numbers might be found on your service write-up.
    No, I don't have the part #, but since I am on a first name birthday card basis with the service dept. I can get it this week. I do know that they called the part that fixed the problem a strut mount. Hope this helps.
    OK, I'll look in my Service Manual to see if I can find that nomenclature. Anything is a help with my recluncking '06 with the later replacement front shocks.

Isn't it simply called an upper strut mount? :confuse:

I looked in my Factory Service Manual and none of the front suspension components are listed as either a strut mount or upper strut mount. There are parts that could be so named but apparently not by the factory.
    No response yet, but my first letter this time was on June 26. Will call Customer Center on Aug. 27 if no response. I asked about new struts for front and rear or a big discount on a Genesis.
    See address below. Everybody needs to write to him now. Don't wait to see what he tells me. He will not write back, but someone from there will call. Helps if you have a case number to list, as well as listing your VIN, model, dealer, etc. You can get a case number from the toll free customer center in your owners manual if you do not have one.

Mr. Owen Koh, CEO
    Hyundai USA
    PO Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
    This is NEW GUY who now has an Azara that sounds like a car of this class should sound. I have the official name and part # of the fix!! It is called an upper strut mount and is part # 546 303 L100. I hope this will help all of you who have been putting up with this as I had. By the way the repair was done at Edwards Hyundai in Council Bluffs Ia. Josh is the service advisor.

Make that part number 54630-3L100
    That's how it appears on the Hyundai parts micofilche.

List price is $42.87 each (It takes 2)
    Available at a certain online place for $33.22 plus shipping.
    Front suspension - Struts and components - Upper mount,
    Also sometimes refered to as an insulator assy-strut

• holyazeraholyazera Member Posts: 3
    Re: Azera Built b4 Dec. 05, 2005

I am the recent buyer (May 08) of a used 2006 Azera Limited, production date Nov. 2005; miles at purchase about 20K, it was traded in with about 17,500, but was driven for a while by the Financial Manager at the HONDA dealer where I puchased the traded-in Azera (traded for smaller Honda, not an Accord). Traded by a gentleman in his early 70's (I'm in early 60's); he was looking for better MPG for his road trips. I know who he is and have talked to him personally here in town.
    I am new to the "forums" and have been educating myself concerning ALL aspects of the Azera. It appears the "hot issue" for 2006/2007/ and maybe part of 2008 Azera's is the suspension/front strut problems.
    Yesterday I went to the local Hyundai dealer for some additional conversation (have already picked their brains on other minor issues/education efforts on other visits), regarding what was the "as built" configuration of this Azera, the "bill of material BOM" for the front stuts.
    Low and behold the original part numbers for the "early" built 2006's is the current replacement part. That is the 54611 - 3L040. The TSB for this issue is/has replaced "tonking" struts (when accomplished) pulling out the 3L041's, and putting in the original part numbers. The parts manager also answered my question has to "what P/N" would be used for repair/replacement, if needed, on my Nov.2005 production date car, and it still would be the 3L040.
    He researched his "purchased" data base (includes customer out of pocket, and warranty purchases), and NO struts have been transacted by this dealer for any Azera being serviced. In other words, no customer has either complained, or won their argument with them that would have lead to a "strut replacement outcome". The parts manager is/was aware of the "tonking/noise" complaint that out there in the world of Azera's. But again, has not had the need to issue "replacement stuts" for any reason.
    I am aware that "Upper Strut Mount" P/N 54630 - 3L100 has been declared has a possible fix in this issue of "3L041" strut complaints. Possible that one or both components have been part of the problem.
    OK, what about my early production Azera and its ride? No, it is not always the smooth ride over some of the rougher city streets, or repaired roads. I don't have the "tonk/clunk" that the later production cars have had. My research indicates this Azera ride will never be as mushy as say an old "boat Mercury or big Ford, or other big GM boat. My experience is the HONDA Accords at times are just as rough. Matter of fact, Consumer Report states that is their only finding on the Accord, and Odessey Vans, they both ride rough.
    Regarding MPG on my Azera. I did a road test with newly full tank (auto shutoff at pump), and reset computer MPG, and entered Interstate Highway for a 100 mile ride and did 27.9/28.0 MPG. My experience with city driving is yes only about 14MPG, maybe up to 17 if I add some "upper miles city driving" with it. So I'm looking at about 22 MPG average, not really that bad. My figures/findings are comfirmed by both the on board computer, and my math calculations for fill ups concerning city driving, and Highway/Interstate driving. I did the highway test because I was panicked when I saw what the "computer/and manual math calculations" where giving me. I wanted to "proof" the highway miles.
    PS: I've learned that in "city driving", that I periodically "bump" the shifter over to "manual mode" and "bump up the shift" to the 4th/5th gears to get the RPMs lower, and "save gas???". I find if you leave it in Auto/Shift in town, it may be staying in "lower gears" too long. Hey, my 5 speed manual truck operates fine in 5th gear in town, why not the AZERA???

Thanks, Retired Dad

I am becoming more and more convinced that there are early 3L040s, those that were mounted on the early 2006 Azeras built before 12/05/05, and the replacement 3L040s that are now being provided by the parts department and installed according to TSB 07-50-007. There is a world of difference between the early and late 54611-3L040 parts. The early (original) parts last and last and work like any good shock should;
    The late 54611-3L040 will not last at all and do not last for even 5,000 miles and do
    not work like they should. They are excellent when first installed, but "wear out"
    and do not function as a proper shock should in just a very few miles.

I am not speaking of a rough ride but the lack of proper control as far as jounce and rebound are concerned.
    Proper control in those categories is not satisfactory.
    Mine poggos, and porpuses, and at speed is dangerious because of this lack of control.
    On certain roads, that uncontrolled motion will almost make me seasick.
    My replacement shocks were fine when first installed, but quickly went back
    to the same old ways as the original 041s that first came on my car.

In order to get the TSB done, I had to raise holy hell at the local dealership.
    Only after talking to the top manager was I finally able to get replacement shocks installed.
    I think the manager ordered the service manager to go ahead and do the TSB only to get me off his case.
    Now, the answer I get when I ask to have these floppy wonders replaced
    is that 'Hyundai will only replace the shocks one time'and one time only.' No more! :lemon:
    So much for the warranty. One time, and one time only. After that, you are on your own.

• holyazeraholyazera Member Posts: 3
    I'm "onboard" with you thinking that "current" P/N 3L040s may NOT be as reliable as the original ones. And, when used as a replacement for the "41s" per the TSB will not guarantee a "good fix" for the strut problem. Your experience with those replacement parts is proof enough for me that something drastic occurred in the manufacturing processes at the "strut manufacturer".
    My experience has a Government Rep at Pratt and Whitney, Jet engine manufacturing (government fighter/cargo engines), revealed to me that "supplier problems" (supplier provided parts/components), and yes "primary manufacturer (P&W) problems" (their produced parts, etc.), must be fully investigated for "root cause" events when a part, or component no longer is operating to design and operating specifications.
    Usually, a manufacturing process, or raw material, sub-assembly, was changed, without proper "proofing" of the result, and lo and behold the part/component is no longer giving performance results, or short life performance.
    I guess, I will "baby" my front end for ever, so has to keep good operating struts in the car. Maybe in a few years, as some have said, a after market producer will have replacement stuts available that are guaranteed under a "miles/calendar" sales package.
    I'm convinced the Azera design element for the front end was not "robust" enough to accomodate variations in manufactured parts. If they proofed the front end on their test tracks with what they tought to be the "best production struts", they evidently didn't realize that "manufacturing process variation" was going to come back and bite them in their "design behind".
    I picked up the GENISIS brochure, and they are using a German (design engineering) SACHS* ASD (amplitude Selective Damping) advance suspension system. Coupled with the full front set-up with upper and lower control arms which create a virtual "kingpin" axis to reduce unwanted kickback (emmm, whats that???, strut crap???), and improve steering response. OK, I'm lifting words from the book, not that smart!!! But, sounds like they learned from their mistakes on the AZERA. Further example being the back seat is not a 60/40 fold down, they wanted a "solid unit" there to improve the regidness of the back of the vehicle.
    Who knows, maybe in three years, or more, I would look for a 2010 used one (not 2009, let them find/fix the bugs first) with a Premium Plus package (plus adds 18" alloy wheels). The Technology Package, top of the line is too much "space craft" for me.
    Later, Retired Dad aka HolyAzera
    Congrats on your new car. If the ride is OK, it is a great car. Actually the car rides well, so to speak, but it rolls or bounces too much on dips and rises in the road.
    Spoke to a sales rep re: Genesis and they got one in and sold it the next day. Same dealer got in 5 Lincoln MKS' and sold four within a week. All are selling at MSRP.
    I like the Genesis concept, but I'll wait a year or two to see what happens. It took two years for the Azera suspension issue to fully surface and then not on every car. Also, I cannot bring myself to pay MSRP for any car, much less a Hyundai or Ford product.
    I have 15,000. If the bouncing gets worse, I don't know what I will do.It was great when they changed the shocks at 5,000. Now I have to slow below 60 on a stretch of Hiway 92 between Foster City and San Mateo or the ocillation becomes dangerous.I can live with this as 95% of the roads don't cause this.I would pay to replace the shocks again but not if theya re only going to last 5,000 miles. I have never heard of a shock that had this short of a life.

It seems over passes or short bridges cause the bouncing. anyone know why? Is the road not level or what? WOuld be curious to know.2007 azera.

Be patient my friend. There is something going on and we will all know all about it within a few days.
    I won't say anything more at this time, but we will all be kept appraised. :surprise:
    The topic discussion is located here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/f78-azera-forum.htm

Go to the topic under Factory Tsb-azera Shocks Replacement and stay tuned. ;)

"It seems over passes or short bridges causes the bouncing. Anyone know why?
    Is the road not level or what?"

Of course it is not level. That unevenness of the roadway is what starts the oscillation.
    Proper shocks would stop or control this instead of allowing our Azeras to continue to oscillate
    as ours are all doing with the replacement 54611-3L040 shocks.
    Proper shocks are supposed to 'control' this undesirable monkey-motion.
    The problem is with the lack of control of these replacement shocks and most
    of those shocks that were originally installed at the factory prior to the TSB.

Ours shocks feel like they are worn out and this is happening to us before we have even 5,000 miles. :lemon:

Needing a recall. How do safety issues generate recalls? People complain to the National safety Institute or some other agency?Not that many Azera owners to complain, I am afraid.

It certainly is if you drive fast enough on the type of road that causes this almost out-of-control oscillation.

Go over to that 'other' forum I spoke of and read how many individuals are
    complaining about this common problem. I think you will be surprised. ;)

Thanks
  • markingmarking Member Posts: 2
    Interesting...I have an '07 Limited with exactly the same problem between 45 -50mph. It appears more during deceleration or using cruise control.

Two of 4 tires were replaced due to feathering and mis-alignment. The back tires still had about 10 -15k miles left and an alignment was done also. The problem remains and I am hoping that when the other 2 tires are replace this goes away.

Any additional advice on this issue from Hyundai?
    Thanks,
    marking
  • tuyauxtuyaux Member Posts: 8
    Dear snag,

Just this Wednesday I purchased a 2007 Azera Limited - previously a 1-owner vehicle and in beautiful shape. It seemed fine on the test drives but, when I got it back to Richmond, VA and began driving on our dreadful downtown streets, I noticed the wallowing, etc. I read all of the posts on Edmunds and Hyundai-forums about this and am armed with a printout of the TSB about replacing the shocks. (the car does have the 041 shocks still - my build date was in Oct. '06 but the previous owner didn't act on the TSB back in Sept. '07.) It seems as though you might "know something" that the rest of us don't however. Should I 1) go ahead and get a dealership to replace the 041s with 040s, 2) ask them to replace the 041s with 640s, or 3) just wait for the recall???? It's my beautiful new car and I'm dying to know what's up???

Stan

Stan,

Sent me an email an include your landline number and I will call you. :surprise:

Or it is really bad.
    Not only do you new struts but most important is that you have them replace the upper strut mount part # 546303L100. This will make all the differance in the world. Enjoy your Azera!

In a word, isn't the original strut mount that is already there still good? :confuse: I'm sure mine is.

Isn't replacing a perfectly good strut mount simply throwing money away?

Thanks for the advice! Just to be sure I understand you correctly, are you suggesting that the upper strut mounts be replaced with the exact same part? Will this be a permanent fix to the problem?
    I do not know for sure if it the exact same part or not all I know that my 07 make had the "strut" problem from day one and the fix that worked was the strut mount. It's only been three weeks so I don't know if it's a permanent fix but as of now it's like driving a completely different car. And that is a good thing.
    15,000 mile service and they are checking my shocks which were already replaced once under the TSB.WIll try to get 3L640. Will report back.
    Ok. So did you just describe the symptoms and the dealer told you what the fix was going to be? Did you have to go back to the dealer repeatedly?
    "15,000 mile service and they are checking my shocks which were already replaced once under the TSB.
    WIll try to get [the] 3L640s. Will report back."

Please do.
    Many have tried to get Hyundai to replace those bad TSB shock replacements known as the 040s.
    I know of only one person who has succeeded.
    He will surely be reporting on his success shortly. :surprise:

There is no sense in even allowing the dealer to install another set of those 040s. :lemon:
    Insist on the newest shocks, the 54611-3L640s.
    No one with them is reporting any problems whatsoever!

Please keep us all posted.

I not only went to my dealer repeatedly, (four or five times, most of witch they said it was "a normal sound for that car) I also took the car to two different dealers in two different states and they told me the same thing. I even drove a new '08 and it made the same noise as did mine, so they had me convinced that it was indeed "normal". Then out of the blue....my wife heard the noise!!! Now there was a problem, she had the service manager ride with her and he also heard it. At that point he gave us a new Sonata to drive and said he'd keep the Azara until it was fixed, seven days later he called said the struts were replaced with no improvement but that the strut mount was the fix. We are happy with the result ,just wish it hadn't taken two years.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Good for you, newguy. Glad to hear your problem was resolved, and fresh experiences with this issue are always a help.

On a related note, I must say that snaglepus's repeated (and repeated and repeated) rants on the strut-replacement issue have all but spoiled my enjoyment of not only this forum, but the other Brand X forum on this car as well. The exact same unconfirmed demi-facts only need to be reported in an angry, preaching tone so many dozen times, before one concludes that anyone who wants that viewpoint will have no trouble finding it.
    Wrong again. It is the most discussed topic on both forums and 90% of posters have complaints about the suspension/shocks. Personally, I am thankful for Sanglepuss's comments and continued efforts. Unfortunately, many people have just given up or probably sold the cars.
    The car does wallow/bounce or porpoise over dips and rises in the road. Mine has a particularly severe left to right bounce when the dip is on one side of the lane.
    BTW, if there was no problem, why did Hyundai replace so many shocks and still continues to communicate with those of us pursuing a response?
    Americans learned with GM, Chrysler, Ford, et.al. to persist and you may be successful eventually.

Thanks for the moral support Bob. :D

I got a message for tony . . If he doesn't like what I have to say, no one is making
    him read my posts. I don't think he even has an Azera, so why is he here? :confuse:

We, that is those of us that do have Azeras, feel we have a problem with the factory shocks.
    We feel like complaining about that fact, and will indeed continue to do so as we
    see fit until Hyundai does something about the quality of those factor shocks.
    Those that don't like what we are saying can go pound sand in the desert.

• cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    Couldn't have said it better!!! Hyundai Inc. is definitely been acting like a third or maybe forth rate auto maker in addressing the concerns of Azera owners.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Snaglepus is right about one thing: I do not own an Azera, although I'd like to.

This is because I don't yet have enough money.

Because of this fact, Snaglepus would also deny me the right to discuss one of my most admired cars on an Internet discussion board.

If his reasoning ruled politics as he wishes it ruled car chats, I would be denied the right to free speech because I couldn't afford the poll tax to vote.

I have, however, read voraciously and driven multiple Azeras (Azerae?). Carolina Bob misunderstands the nature of my objection to Snaglepus's posts. I understand and fully empathize with the undisputed fact that the Azera has a significant suspension problem. What I objected to, and will continue to object to, is posts that are repetitive, often of questionable accuracy in their factual specifics about shock types and prescribed remedies, and ultimately just plain interruptive and uninformative -- recently to the point of being actively misleading to new readers of the forums who are eagerly thanking him for information of questionable veracity.

If there's one thing we've learned from Carolina Bob, the many other posters who've corresponded about this problem -- and yes, Snaglepus too -- it's that different remedies (one strut type, another strut type, a strut mount, even a bolt tightening) have worked for different owners. None of us knows with 100% certainty what the source of this problem is; maybe even Hyundai doesn't know. And that means anybody who repeatedly and vehemently poses as if he knows the answers is spouting misinformation to the innocent.

Pound that.

You indeed do have have the right to discuss but not to criticize
    me or any others who do know indeed what we are talking about! :surprise:

"What I objected to, and will continue to object to, is posts that are repetitive, often of questionable accuracy in their factual specifics about shock types and prescribed remedies, and ultimately just plain interruptive and uninformative -- recently to the point of being actively misleading to new readers of the forums who are eagerly thanking him for information of questionable veracity"

There you go again with your uninformed opinion. No one wants it; No one has asked you for 'your opinion.' You think we are all wrong? And you know more about it than we, Azeras owners do?
    Why do you think the factory revised the parts beginning 10/20/07? Are they uninformed too?
    "Uninformative" "Repetitive" "Prescribed remedies" "Questionable accuracy" "Being actively misleading"?
    I ask for proof of anything you have said. Strike that. I demand proof!
    Many of us have forgotten more about Azeras than you think you know.
    Myself and another Azera owner years total over 130. How old are you BTW?
    We own Azeras and you do not. We have lived with these problems for years. You have not!
    You have spent a little time reading about our problems here and perhaps
    on the other forum but that in itself does not qualify you at all.

We own Azeras and suffer from these shock problems and you do not!

BTW, the parts in question are know as shocks, not struts.
    We are changing the shocks to the latest factory parts which are a part of the strut assembly.
    Just because you want an Azera and cannot afford one does not give you the right to critize those
    of us who do have Azeras and are indeed suffering with these shock problems daily.
    As I have said before, if you do not like what we who have these problems say, do not read our posts.

If it were not for us, how would you know about these problems?
    You should go back and review all the posts about this problem and get your facts straight.
    Only one person has spoken of the strut mount being a solution to his problem.
    It has worked out fine for him and that's good, but he is the only one.
    How do any of us really know if that was really the solution to his problem?
    His dealer had his car for a week and did other things also to it to try and fix the problem.
    How do you know that the last time it was apart, the mechanic did not this time
    properly tighten up everything just right and the noise finally disappeared?

If not for me, how would you know the various different shock part numbers?
    Did you take the time and go to the parts' department and talk to the parts guy and
    learn this for yourself? How would you know the various dates of the
    different parts and what is no longer current or available?

We have one duffer like me whose car simply on its own stopped making the noise all by itself.
    But his TSB replacements shocks had become so badly worn in 10K miles
    that he was afriad to even drive the speed limit on the rural roads in AZ.

BTW, that car is now having the latest shocks installed and he will be picking
    it up tomorrow. Let's wait and hear what he has to say, shall we?
    The fellow that owns it is hep and knows what he is talking about also.
    Add him to the mix and we are talking 200 years between the three of us.

Tightening up to specs is what the Kia TSB tells the mechanic to do for the same
    "clunking" noise in the Amanti. There is no mention of changing the shocks with the Amanti.
    But you did not know this until just now did you, because you didn't take
    the time or trouble to stop by the KIA dealer and ask as I did.

Many have had both the original shocks and the TSB replacements shocks,
    and all have had problems with both sets of the older shocks.
    Have you talked to owners of late '08 and '09 Azeras that have the latest shocks?
    Have you talked to owners of Azeras that have changed out
    the old junky parts themselves to these newest parts?
    When you have done this, then and only then are you entitled to voice your contrary
    opinions and not before because to put it in plain English, not only are you
    not qualified, but you do not know what you are talking about!

I am truly sorry that all of this is spoiling your picture of the Azera that you would like
    to own someday. But wouldn't you want to know all this before you get one?
    I only wish I would have know these facts beforehand! ;)

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's stick to the car instead of turning the topic into each other.

The best thing to do is just scroll on by a post you know is going to raise your blood pressure.

Thanks.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    You indeed do have have the right to discuss but not to criticize
    me or any others who do know indeed what we are talking about!

BTW, the parts in question are know as shocks, not struts.
    No, they're struts.

Struts support vehicle weight, shock absorbers do not.

Yours do.

http://www.monroe.com/tech_support/tec_struts.asp

Until yesterday, August 22 2008, I have been recommending the Azera to
    anyone who commented about my beautiful Black Azera sedan.
    However, because of the manner I was treated by a Hyundai rep over the phone
    yesterday who called me and the manner in which he talked down to me,
    I can and no longer will recommend any Hyundais to anyone!
    I imagine it won't take too many people like me to really kill any interest in any Hyundais!
    I have the dreaded front suspension issues, and while my Azera has already had the factory
    authorized TSB performed at only 4,950 miles last November, those Mando replacement
    shocks are also of such inferior quality that they too now have failed.
    So at only one year old and with but 12,000 miles, I am driving a car that has no real control
    of the front suspension movement and I consider it unsafe to drive even at the
    posted speed limit on nearby I-15 which is only a modest 70 mph.
    I crawl along at only 60 mph in the slow lane because in my Azera, I do not feel safe going any faster.
    The 'rep' refused to authorize the replacement of my worn out failed shocks with the latest shocks
    that were released 10/20/07, just one month after the September 2007 dated TSB was issued.
    TSB 7-50-007 calls for the original 54611-3L041 parts to be replaced by
    54611-3L040 shocks which was done on my car in November, 2007.
    These inferior parts have now failed and all that I am asking for is what other individuals have asked
    for and received already, the newest shocks which are of better quality, the 54611-3L640.
    These are the parts that are installed on new Hyundai Azeras built 10/20/07 and later.
    No one has offered to verify what I am stating. How can such an important
    decision be made without someone at least test driving my car? :confuse:
    Having already replaced the bad TSB installed parts for several other people, Hyundai has set a precedent. Why is Hyundai not doing the same for everyone who is complaining as I am about this car not being
    safe enough to drive at the posted legal speed on the interstate because of failed shocks?

What has happened to the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty?
    Is Hyundai no longer honoring their posted quarantee?
    When I went to the local agency, the service writer did not even write up my complaints.
    Can you believe?

I can no longer recommend the Azera to anyone! :lemon: