Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

1202122232426»

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Personally, I believe the strut bar would do a better job. The anti-sway bar is designed to help eliminate body roll when cornering.
  • dmildmil Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me if the shaking and vibration was at a specfic speed or the same speed all the time? I have an Azera, and they are telling me the same thing. 4 sets of tires, can't all be bad, and it didn't begin to do this until I had 18 k miles on the first set. Always at the same speed. They even put a set of tires off one of the cars they had there that day.
  • antonyrantonyr Member Posts: 6
    The shaking and vibration occurred at all speeds. After they “finally” replaced the struts/shocks it went away, but now I’m faced with the clunking noise when going over uneven pavements. It may be my struts/shocks… or swaybar.

As much as I love the car, it’s going to be my last Hyundai due to the service after the sale.

My son is going to be driver very soon, so I guess it will be his 1st car.

They know they have a problem but they try to make it seem as if you are the problem.
  • r7nr7n Member Posts: 5
    There could be another cause for noise in your Azera. I've had the clunking noise and the tire vibration with the original Michlins. Clunking was cured by replacing struts and tire vib was cured by replacing with a better Michlin than the original. The other source of noise could be one or both plastic undercarriage shields that run down the right and left side of the undercarriage. There is a TSB to replace these because they have a tendency to break around the mounting bolts. This allows the shields to buffet in the wind and pound the undercarriage. Eventually, enough of the plastic will break causing the wind to force the panel to the pavement which causes one heck of a noise. As you slow down the shields will lift from the pavement and the noise stops. Both of mine broke within one month of each other. I repaired the first one myself but the other one failed while on the way to my grand daughters out of town wedding. I had to drive 10 miles with the shield dragging until I found a country town Jeep dealership. They were nice enough to get the car on the rack, pull off the offending shield, inspect for other damage and get me back on the road in 15 minutes. All for no charge. There is a reason that my other vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. The panels are easy to check for damage: Lay on the ground on each side, just behind the front wheel and look under the car at the undercarriage. The panels are gray black in color. Reach toward the front of the shields and push up on them several times. If they move up and down you have a problem. Your dealer should replace them without charge, but of course they will need to order them.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    As per the previous post, " Hyundai service after the sale is poor ", I agree completely. In response to your post concerning the shields, I had the problem with mine, they just used bolts with bigger heads to fix it, and "only" charged me $25 for the repair. Yes I'm being sarcastic: I had to pay for repair of an obvious design flaw.
  • 06_azera06_azera Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2006 Azera with 90,000 miles on it and the suspension has always been inferior. Tire noise both front and rear along with a rough sloppy ride. Replacing the tires will only hide the problem temporarily. Here is what helped the suspension and the noise more then I could imagine. I removed the front wheels and in the back of each wheel well is a plastic cover. Remove the plastic cover and using spray glue install Thick Dense Foam from top to bottom. The key here is Dense Foam. Then replace the plastic cover and seal the edges with a 3-M under-body coating. Now install a rubber coil spring doughnut between the springs at the very top. You will need some silicone and a piece of wood to bang the rubber doughnut into the springs after you get it started.

In the rear of the Azera use a Quality Sound Deadening Material. Remove both sides of the trunk panels and insulate both rear wheel wells. Also run the Sound Deadening Material in the space in front of the spare tire or right behind the rear seat. Now remove the rear tires and the plastic cover in the front of the wheel wells and insulate behind the plastic cover. Replace the cover and seal the edges with the 3-M under-body coating. Also install a rubber doughnut on the Bottom of each rear spring.

It's like a different automobile. Quieter, the front end is more stable and the improvement in the ride is amazing. A little work but so far well worth it. New tires, shocks and upper strut bars and I think that would really make it ride like a luxury car.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    edited May 2012
    Just had one of these panels fail and was charged by the Dealer as my 07 azera has 63,000 and is over the warranty. Called Hyundai and they inform me there is no TSB for the 2007. If you have a TSB number, please post it so I canc all them back and try to recover the money I paid.
  • vikeavikea Member Posts: 7
    hello.
    could you tell me what kind of rubber donaut did you put in your springs? did you put only in front or rear too? did it raised the car a lot? isn't it unstable beening higher?
    i also did some mods to my azera. koni struts heavy duty strut bar and thicker sway bars. best result is from sway bar so i think the problem isnt in shock absorbers alone but more in too soft springs setting.
    strut bar also did a lot to improving the ride.
    thanks
  • 06_azera06_azera Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for such a late response to your Question about the rubber doughnuts I put between my springs. I purchased them at AutoZone. They are round and about 4 inches in diameter with a concave groove on both sides for the spring to fit into. They are also split so you can kinda straighten them out to get the end started in between the springs. You have to remove the wheel and let the spring hang so the spring will open up a little to get them in.

If they raised the car it was only a quarter inch if even that much. I put them in the front at the top of the spring and in the rear at the bottom of the spring. You are absolutely correct, the springs are too soft.

Where did you find a thicker sway bar? I found a front upper strut bar that ties the two front shocks together under the hood without any modifications required. Just do a search for Hyundai Azera strut bar I think it was KFX.com $99.
  • vikeavikea Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for reply.
    But i think i will not put anything into springs as i am going to sell the car. Beside the too soft spring there is another problem to the cars suspension which i detected and its difficult to correct as it is a a factory missdesign.
    The thiker sway bar is all the way from korea from kspec.com site. Its quite expencive. Also i got the strut bar from Luxon Korea. No offence but the strut bar that you got is no good. It is too thin. First i got one like this and it did some efect but nothing like the super heavy duty luxon bar. I can send you some photos if you like my mail is viki6or@gmail.com.
    Also i can sell them if you like them. As i am going to sell the car with this upgrades so if you want them i can get them off the car.
  • chuckinscchuckinsc Member Posts: 1
    This is THE solution to the problem. Thank you. So far, I've only installed the rubber donuts on my '06 Azera, but that alone made a huge difference--brought the suspension from "intolerable" to "acceptable." Rides less like an old Buick and is much less bouncy/wavy. The body rides about 1/4" higher, which is fine--even preferable, I think. Again, thanks. My wife and daughter no longer get car sick!
    Okay...I'm proud to say that I've owned my '06 Azera for the last 7 years and put just over 146k miles on it. I've read all the posts about people complaining about the clunk noise, which I didn't experience until about 80-90k miles. All the years of going to the dealer and having them look at it, not one time did a mechanic ever mention anything about the sway bar bushings. My mechanic told me that sway bar bushings can wear out anywhere between 20-80k miles. So...I am going to order them and have him install them and I'll come back and let you guys know if it resolved the infamous clunk noise or not. I tried to find some silicone aftermarket bushings to no avail, so I will just try to order the best ones I can find.
  • antonyrantonyr Member Posts: 6
    I for one am looking forward to your next reply.

I just had my upper control arms replaced around 78K, on my 2006 Azera. I've been experiencing the "Clunk" for a while now and my Hyundia Advisor feels it's the Strut mounts. When I take it in for service next week, I'll have them to check the sway bar bushings.

Thanks for info. :)
    Antonyr...initially I was experiencing squeaks and other noises that replacing the upper control arms took care of. While the strut mounts can produce noise, it would be a noise you would hear towards the "top" of your car. The sway bar, being underneath your car would produce that noise that sounds like golf balls loose in a box sound.

Unfortunately, I have to get my ignition coils replaced before I take care of the sway bar bushings. If you get yours done first, by all means let me know. Of course, I'll post regardless when I get that done.

Happy Easter if you celebrate, if not...have a great weekend.
    edited June 2013
    ...I am posting my results from getting the sway bar bushings replaced.

Sway bar bushings - $6.48
    Labor for installation - $198
    Clunk/rattle noise gone - PRICELESS!!!

For any Azera owners that have any front end noise (clunk or rattles), please do yourself a favor and get the sway bar bushings replaced. After 7 years and 150k miles, the suspension ALMOST sounds as good as it did when it was new. I guess I had gotten so used to the noise that I forgot how good & quiet the rode before. Truly a night and day difference.

Now I've got a few other things to tend to on the car and I think I'll be ready for another 150k miles!!! Just so you other Azera owners know...once you hit the 100k miles mark, start thinking about your 02 sensors, spark plugs, ignition coils and serpentine belt. Other things I have to replace are the engine/transmission mounts, an A/C pressure switch and the original rotors.
  • BeBop4000BeBop4000 Member Posts: 1
    azera_06 said:

When I first purchased my Azera (Limited Edi., - Whte Pearl) 2006, I too noticed the same clunking noise, what seem to be coming from the passenger side front wheel-well area, when driving over bumpy roads and/or hitting potholes. For the first 500-750 miles the clunking noise seemed to be consistent and/or hit or miss depending on the road conditions. However, sometime after hitting the 750mi - 1200mi mark on my odometer, I haven't heard the clunking noise. The only thing that I changed was the tire pressure. The tires had 35 psi, and I changed them to 30psi as recommended by the OEM. I hope that clunking noise doesn't return, as it was annoying.

I love this car! :)

Well, someone in my year/make/model boat to sit in! I love my 2006 Azera Ltd (I call it a Poor Man's Mercedes) with one problem. YUP! The front end noise (clunk) so many have described in here. With my nominal knowledge I began my self diagnosis with old stand by, pressing hard down on the suspension and taking note of the Shock/Struts bounce back reaction. That and $1.50 got me a cup of coffee ! But, I did want to join in as one os the many Azera owners with this ghost of a clunk noise (mine occurs hitting normal road "divots" pot holes, etc. and the front passenger is the worst area it seems. The car handles just fine in turns and holding the road, etc, this is strictly a straight ahead raod handling problem. Just wanted to add my two cents to count myself in with front end problem, that sounds worse than it's impact on driving. But that loud clunk is enough to make anyone sit up straight and check the tension of their seatbelt!