Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Denali Yukon Traction Active Readout on Display

2»

Comments

• shawnasshawnas Member Posts: 1
    I also got this message on my yukon. It seems to be a major safety issue since I lost all power while driving. Is this on the recall list? If not it should be.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    shawnas,
    I apologize for your frustrations. If you would like I would be more than happy to look into recall information for your vehicle. I would just need your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to your response. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • keithyukonkeithyukon Member Posts: 2
    and it is getting worse by the day. The first few times it happened, I didn't see the display, but now it seems to happen every time I go from cruising speed to a stop sign, and then try to re-accelerate. I have two small children that are often in the Yukon and I'm getting very concerned and hesitant to drive it.

Can GM Customer service please contact me?
    keithyukon,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the chance to take your vehicle to your local GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • jb04jb04 Member Posts: 4
    I too am experincing the traction readout message, yes be riding and just loose power very
    fustrating my suv isn't a everyday driver either so this has to be a manufaction problem
    If someone find a solution please share.
    jb04,
    Have you spoke with a dealer about your concerns? I apologize for your frustrations. Can you email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jb04jb04 Member Posts: 4
    hello Christina
    yes I recently went in to the GM dealership here in Monroe NC
    and was told it's my throttle body sensor which is located inside the throttle
    body, which means i must replace my whole throttle body.
    So I done that and my SUV still reads reduce engine power and performs worse. Here's my VIN#1GKEK63U23J155783
    hopefully you can tell me something helpful plz.....
    jb04,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Can you email me your contact information, detailed explanation of your concerns, current mileage, VIN, and dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mtu50mtu50 Member Posts: 3
    My wife informed me that our 2006 Suburban with under 56,000 miles is now doing what is described in these posts. The traction control comes on when not necessary, and the vehicle thinks it needs to cut power, thereby making acceleration much slower and unfortunately dangerous as has been mentioned.

If anyone has gotten to the bottom of this, please post up the information or a link. I would like to investigate further and see if it is something easy I can do at home. The GM dealership is just a giant vacuum attached directly to my wallet so I would like to avoid them at all costs. I've been very disappointed with past dealer experiences regarding my "bumper to bumper" GM warranty on my 2002 Bravada. I would never buy another extended warranty from them again.
    Having a chance to read the first page of this thread, I see that the wheel sensors seem to be the likely culprit. I will start there! ;)
  • keithyukonkeithyukon Member Posts: 2
    Does "cleaning" the sensors fix the issue, or do they need to be replaced?
    mtu50,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your vehicle. I strongly encourage you to take your vehicle to your local GM dealership to be diagnosed. This way, everything can be documented. By chance, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • erict101erict101 Member Posts: 3
    My 04 Yukon Denali XL started doing the traction control active two weeks ago at 105,000 miles. Bought a code reader and discovered the steering wheel position sensor was out. Replacing this didn't fix the problem, but it's signal goes directly to the ABS/VSES module, so it has to be ruled out.

The steering position sensor replacement should be done in the shop so the tech can use the column locking service pin. Then check the sensor reads zero degrees when the wheel is straight. If the position sensor is incorrectly installed the ABS module will try to apply brakes on one side or the other to correct. It's very important not to spin the steering wheel while it's disconnected from the steering box input shaft. Turning it too far will break the wires to the air bag, etc.

The second code came up while test driving with the GM Tech II service computer hooked up to the truck monitoring the ABS. It detected the right front wheel speed sensor problem.
    After trying two new sensors & cleaning we discovered the wheel hub was bad.
    A new wheel hub includes the sensor installed. Rockauto.com delivered price for Timken brand is $115.90 as of an hour ago when ordered. Autozone.com is $174 plus local sales tax.
    I'll be installing it next week.

The parts & labor costs to troubleshoot and replace just the sensors should be put towards a new hub or two on these full time AWD trucks.
  • harry76harry76 Member Posts: 6
    Just recently whenever I accelerate my truck feels like it is going to stall out, suddenly it accelerates and on the display I receive a message "traction control active" This is happening more and more frequently. When I push the button to turn off the traction control the truck works fine. So disengaging it helps but then I am not in AWD mode.
    This problem scares the hell out of me and takes the fun out of driving, I have emailed GMC and received a message that I will be contacted. The truck is a 06 yukon denali with 48000 miles on it. Is there any kind of recall notice on this ? I see that several other people have this problem. I want to go to the dealer and have a diagnostic test done but I don't want to throw away my cash if the dealer claims they don't know what the cause of the problem is.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Harry76,

I’m sorry for this traction control concern you have with your Denali. We can look into any open safety recall information available for your vehicle if you email us your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN. Please also keep in touch in regards to whether or not you’re contacted by customer service by phone.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gunner17gunner17 Member Posts: 1
    Sarah
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2005 Denali. Are the diagrams available for changing the sensors and cleaning the sensor pad?
    I just finished installing a new front wheel hub that comes with the sensor, solved all the traction active issues.
    #68. Thank you for the reply and info. I have a appt at dealership this Friday. was your repair covered by warranty? if not how much was the repair if you don't mind me asking. also now I am having a issue when I shut truck off the steering wheel does not lock. when it rains it pours. But these are all little things. (annoying) but little.
    Sarah,
    Vin #j125902 last name Scott
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Gunner17,

Thank you for your patience – I apologize that I wasn’t speedier with my response. I do not have diagrams available for changing sensors and cleaning the sensor pad. I’m sorry that I’m unable to help you locate these! If I can be of any assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to send an email!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Harry76,

Thank you for the update on information. Unfortunately, our systems are very particular. I attempted to access your vehicle information with the 7 digits provided, but was unable to look into your vehicle specifically. I also tried to access your information directly, but to no avail.

I’m sorry to ask again, but if I could get the last 8 digits of your VIN via email (or however you choose), then I can continue my investigation.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,
    GM protection plan # 815332850 with that you should be able to get everything
    My repair was not covered by warranty because the Denali is an '04 at 105K miles. The Timken brand hub and sensor cost $115 home delivered from Rockauto.com A friend with the proper sized impact socket installed it, so far no problems.
    Hello Sarah,
    I sent you email re: vin#. As you could see there are quite a few different customers on this site and others who have this same problem. Also questions in my first post were not answered. 1. is there or was there a recall on this issue. 2. Does my warranty cover this issue. In every answer to a customers question GM customer service starts off with a apology, that is really very nice but it does not fix the problem. So other than asking the customer to call and saying your sorry what does customer service do ? I have yet to see one person on this site helped by GM customer service.
    Sarah???
    I apologize for not getting back with you sooner – the tool that alerts me of new posts was running a little slow today.
    In regards to your post yesterday, I am unable to access information on the tools I have available with a GMPP number.
    Thank you for sending an e-mail – did you use the address provided on my profile? I am not sure that I have received your message. I respond with a confirmation email upon receipt.
    Initially, we are able to investigate warranty information and recall information as associated with a particular vehicle – this helps us better answer what kind of components on your vehicle are still covered by warranty.
    We request that interactions be moved to email so that more confidential information (like contact information) can be gathered by us in the event that a Customer Assistance case can be assembled as we work with the dealership towards resolving a concern.
    Thank you for your continued patience, and I hope this helps to clarify our role in helping you address the traction control concern you’re experiencing,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    For phone assistance, it would be best to call GMC Customer Assistance at 800-462-8782. They are open Monday-Saturday 8am-9pm EST.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Assistance
    Went to dealer on Friday. Mechanic hooked up gmc tech 2 diagnosis machine to my truck. There were no codes coming up for my problem. mechanic took off calipers and rotors and inspected sensors. He cleaned them up and truck is running like new. In addition to that I had a wheel alignment, pitman arm replaced and idler arm replaced.
    The labor was 509.00, parts were 316.00 with tax came out to 892.30 I was unable to find out if anything was covered by warranty because just the cashier was in the dealer when I arrived. So I am very happy to have my truck back to the way it was/ should be.
    Only problem I have now is my rear passenger control console has no power. I was trying to find out where fuse was but it does not really have it in manual.
  • miburb05miburb05 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 05 suburban in brighton. champion chev. said $443-$959 to fix the problem. did you ever get any help from GM?
  • dirkddirkd Member Posts: 1
    The answer to this problem has been covered elsewhere, but since it is such a common problem, perhaps consolidating printable sources would help everyone. I just bought an '06 Yukon Denali with the same problem. Short-term fix- push the button to disengage the traction control. Long-term fix:

Vendor document:
    http://www.raybestos.com/wps/wcm/connect/8e979c804960a92d9ef4fec5addf96b4/BPI+07- -16.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Dealer instructions:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/GMGreatWrench/2010-09-14_004540_abs_bulletin.p- df

Which is an update to:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/GMGreatWrench/2009-02-01_013220_abs_kicking_in- .pdf

A local shade-tree mechanic fixed it for me. Hope it helps
    Now THIS post was helpful. Much better than the "go to the dealer" standard response.

Thank you dirkd!! My wallet thanks you as well.
  • gloant607gloant607 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone fiqured out wut or how to fix the traction control problems on the 03 Yukon....even on smooth roads my truck traction control comes into play..and slow the vehicles down. and I am unable to accelerate...I am a disabled mom with five kids and it is very scary while driving with kids or by myself and have this happen....
  • buicfrankbuicfrank Member Posts: 2
    Just take your vehicle to the dealer and have it diagnosed. They will present you with a $1000 dollar estimate. Tank the estimate and leave. Also pay the diagnostic fee. Go to your favorite mechanic and have it fixed. It saved me $398.00 in the sensor problem. Frank
  • poopeepoopee Member Posts: 1
    I love GM with all of my American heart-every thing about them is tainted when over -confident people are just not into serving others; there's a lot of that out here lately! If EVERYONE would give a spit about ONE THING IN this life that involved the care and concern for anyone besides themselves, it would be headline news...I obsess over finding a competent "mom and pop" shop or a talented "shade tree-er" over any dealership shop...my 2012 denali was no exception. They tried to slide my baby out without routine checks, but I was talented enough to know GM's ways and history with full sized suv's. Everything was o.k.'ed by my boys and cost me $290 and went unanswered when i emailed the dealer for the compensation, 1 week after I brought it home. I didn't even care if they paid me or not! My wife and daughter went down to the "mother ship" and got that money ! I gave it to them! They took us all out to dinner!
    Oh, I almost forgot! evaluate the traction/stabilization snafus as age, looseness or corrosion because it does bug the computer out! It can be very dangerous! It can be fixed most excellent-ly through competence! You can continue to love your Chevy/GMC with confidence!
    GM, you aught to be ashamed! Sorry if I got preachy!