Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic LX or EX?

jasonc3jasonc3 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Honda
Hello everyone, i'm close to buying a honda civic 2007 and i'm debating over the LX or EX. The EX costs about $1800 more and for me it's a tough decision. The main things that the EX has over the LX are these:

1. Better sound system - I'll be bringing a cd of mine to test for the difference, but if i get the LX, i'll probably put some of the money i save into a nice system, assuming that I can find fitted parts for the installation. I checked Crutchfield, and there is no listing for the 2007 Civic on the website when you go to find what fits your car.

2. 4 wheel disc brakes - I'm not much of a speed racer, so i think the LX brakes should be fine for me.

3. Alloy Wheels - I do like the way the EX rims look over the LX ones, but is it worth the extra money...? that's a tough one...

4. Moonroof - It's nice, but i had a moonroof on my old car and never really used it, half the time i forgot it was there.

5. Steering wheel mounted audio controls - Once i get my Civic, i'm pretty sure i'll be replacing the radio w/ an Alpine, which comes w/ a remote control, so for me, this doesn't count for much.

6. Remote trunk release - This is pretty handy, but it's just a small thing...

So, overall, it's a tough call for me, do i just take the easy way out and get teh EX? or do i get the LX and use the money i save to get a nice sound system, and/or depending on how much i spend on the sound system, maybe even get new rims and tires? I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought a 2007 Civic, how you made your decision, or even from people like me, who are about to buy, and have thought about this choice....Thanks for any replies!

Jason

Comments

• pham0167pham0167 Member Posts: 48
    I was gonna get an LX but they had an EX in stock with the options I wanted, so I ended up getting an EX. The only difference in sound system is the 6 speakers instead of 4 speakers otherwise the power are the same (160 watts). If you plan on upgrading the head unit to something with more power, it will improve the sound drastically. I wouldn't upgrade to the EX just because of the sound system or the moonroof (I don't like them anyway). The alloy wheels are about 400 each (maybe 200 each after market) so it's worth the extra 1800. The LX has front disk brakes and rear drum breaks, you can easily switch the rear drum breaks to disk brakes at 60,000 miles maintenance. I would guess it would be around 800 to do the switch. IMO, the alloy wheels are the only good reason for EX unless you also want a navigation system too.

You also didn't include in your list the EX has 60/40 split back seats with cupholders while the LX backseat don't have cupholders and fold down all at once. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

The 2007 LX now has a music input/mp3 input jack as well.

I would go for the LX if you don't really care about alloy wheels and disc brakes.
  • jasonc3jasonc3 Member Posts: 15
    Hmm...thanks for the info, I think i'll go with the EX, factoring in the cost of rims, installing them, and time that i'd be without the car (probably i'd have to lose the car for a day while it would be worked on, and rent a car for that day). I don't like the LX rims at all, and i'd have to change them for sure, the standard EX rims look decent to me. Plus, the split back seat is nice to have, as well as the cup holders....anyhow, thanks for the reply! Now i have to decide between stick or automatic...=)
  • mfranklinmfranklin Member Posts: 13
    Not quite accurate. EX has 7 speakers with a Subwoofer and its 350 Watts not 160. And I love the moonroof.
  • ttttvlttttvl Member Posts: 7
    When I registered my 2007 Civic EX Sedan Auto NO NAV through Honda website https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com with my VIN. It listed my vehical with Audio system as:

Audio Systems:
    160-Watt AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD Audio System with 6 Speakers
    MP3/Windows Media® Audio (WMA) Playback Capability
    MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack
    CD Text Display Capability
    Speed-Sensitive Volume Control (SVC)

I think the 7 speakers with a Subwoofer and its 350 Watts only available on EX Coupe, but not EX Sedan. Funny that Coupe and Sedan both cost the same amount.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    correct the ex coupe and si coupe (and sedan now i guess) all get the 350 watt w/sub. The ex sedan does not. it has the six speaker 160 watt. the lx has four. And the lx does not come with rims, just hubcaps, but same tire size.
  • karkookkarkook Member Posts: 7
    You've probably already made your purchase, and frankly you can't go wrong... I bought a '07 black LX coupe in Oct. and love it. Bought it for the economy but get as many looks and as with an RX7 and a Mercedes E I had before...

Another small thing that I found after purchase of the LX... The intermittent wiper setting on the EX,Si is adjustable, on the LX it is not... (that's right one speed!) Somehow, it wipes a little too fast or too slow and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't get it. Petty, I know.

Anyway, I love the car!

I have a question for anyone who can help. I am looking at
    after market wheels for my Civic and can't decide whether to go with 17s or 18s... Does anyone have an '06 or '07 with after market wheels? Pics?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at the Civic Tires and Wheels discussion. You might find something helpful there, and it's a great place for your questions. :)
    Will do. Thanks!
  • tkrivotkrivo Member Posts: 7
    I'm also trying to pick between and LX and EX. So the EX Sedan doesn't have the 350 watt system correct? I just received a quote of $18,953 including destination for an EX...kind of disappointing since I was considering an Accord SE Auto sedan a couple of weeks ago and it was only $1,000 more. Any additional input? I'm in Oregon, so the wiper function would suck on the LX.
    Hey, it's me again... I just drove 300 miles in torential rain to mist and I had become accustomed to the wiper adjustments. I bought my LX for 18,300, out the door... The "mist" setting is easy to use at will. It becomes second nature in a short period of time. As far as the stereo, it is a six speaker system with an amazing amount of bass without a woofer. Keep in mind that I had a 300 E with a Becker system that does not compair. My Jeep has an Infinity system that can't keep up. If the Accord has a six cylinder for only $1000 more, run with it. If not, 30 mpg city and 40 hwy is hard ot beat, shy of hybrid...
  • civicriderzcivicriderz Member Posts: 4
    i had a 06 Civic and now i have a 07 Civic .. other one got messd up pretty bad after gettin rear'd by a Mercedes CL or w.e its calld .. but id have gone with the Civic LX .. espically since u can buy up aftermarket parts and fix the ride up to look better than the Ex ..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd bet money that the Accord SE he is talking about was the 4-cylinder version. Those can be had for around $19.4k. SE-V6 Accords are closer to $21-22k. For some, having more room, a 6-CD changer, 16" Alloys, a much torquier engine, and just more "car" in general would be worth the $1k. I needed the room, and got an Accord (I'm 6'4" and typically carry at least two passengers one or more times a week).
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    I bought 07 coupe ex for 18041.00 Love it! I spent three weeks doing research and driving other coupes. I liked the scion tc, but when I sat in it,it didn't compare with Honda, then I drove it and I still felt the same.

I love the sound system, moonroof, enjoy the sunlight coming through and does make the cabin light and airy.
    Here in Vermont ( snow country, doom & gloom) it's welcomed and the air in spring! The alloy wheels just add even more visual quality to it. Well worth the cost.
    The bass and sound of the factory system is amazing, wow!
  • practicalmanpracticalman Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a new Civic EX and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with driving one in a lot of snow?
  • leftylibraladyleftylibralady Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I live in Wichita, KS and I just test drove an LX this afternoon. I really enjoyed the ride and I'm thisclose to buying it.

The biggest drawback for me (and I'm sure most would think it's really minor) is that I really don't like the headrest. It's too high and it makes me feel like I'm being pushed forward. Is there a way to swap out the headrest or is this standard on all Honda Civics? Thanks.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Try and play with the seat back angle...worked like a charm for me. With my bad spine, I had trouble at first, but with a tweaking of the seat back cushions angle, the headrest was no longer an issue. Try this and see what happens.

The Sandman :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Well not a lot (as in very deep) of snow but we drove ours through two Pa. winters.
    A) front drive = a + (plus)
    B) very low ground clearance particularly the front bumper/skirt below bumper = a - (minus)
    C) fairly wide, low profile tires standard = - (minus)
    D) no available traction control = - (minus)
    All in all somewhat less than average as compared to our other car a 95 Stratus. However this is not to say it has been a huge problem. Drive carefully and you can get by in all but the deepest snow at which point you should probably wait until the roads are cleared or buy an SUV...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also ask in the general Honda Civic 2007 discussion.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    perhaps the questions have already been answered but:

350w stereo coupe vs sedan
    the 350w (w/sub) stereo is only available on coupes. The sedan has no place to mount the sub (rear deck).

wheels:
    you can fit 18" wheels easily (well, some suspension mods are required and drop the car 1") as the dealer installed HFP package includes them with P215/40ZR18 tires. largest factory is 17". They don't help the ride or mileage, but look great. HFP can be installed on any trim, and is not standard on any trim including Si. It retails for about $4800, but is usually heavily discounted if already installed like mine was.

curiously the HFP (Honda Factory Performance) isn't a factory installed option.....

fwiw, I have a 07 Galaxy Gray EX coupe with HFP. ~700 miles so far, no complaints. I miss the power from my 97 v6 Camry tho, but the Si isn't available with AT. This is my 1st Honda after a 91, 93 and 97 Camry. The new Camrys are just too big.

So far (~700 miles) my mileage is running ~30mpg with a mix of city/interstate but mostly wide open city freeway at speeds up to 80-85mph.

pic over here:
    http://my.gardenguides.com/forums/topic/14289
  • sciontc101sciontc101 Member Posts: 3
    It's not worth buying the EX. The LX already provides many good features, and I think its a wonderful car.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    if you do not want or use the sunroof than go for the lx. I love having a sunroof and try to have it open as much as possible.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    I think my choice will be the EX too when and if I decide to buy. The wipers and the split seat make it worth it for me. I had an EX Civic coupe that had both, traded for a CRV LX and no wipers. Makes a big difference in the heavy rain we have here now and then. Thanks all for helping me make that decision. It may not happen this year, but it will happen.
    I ended up tweaking the sound system and throwing on some Civic alloys from a '05 Si and am very satisfied with my LX. If I had a do over though, I'd go for the EX. Would have liked the 4 wheel disc brakes. Have them on our 3s and they work very well.
    But I do love my Galaxy Gray sedan and it's been a great car this past 10 months.

for some people it is. It depends what your priorities are.

Me? I could not do without my 4 wheel disc brakes.

Alloy's? Sure you can get them aftermarket like sand did, but some people would rather just finance them with the car.

Better sound system? Again, some people don't want to 'upgrade' so quickly on a car that is brand new.

To me, the sunroof is the only real 'not worth it if you don't dig it' feature.

When i got my civic, i was coming from a 01 ex coupe with no alloys. I HAD to have alloys and i knew i wasn't going to be able to save up for them anytime soon and i didn't want to leave the dealer with a new car that still lacked some things i REALLY wanted. Ex it was. Don't get me wrong, i love the price tag on the lx, i think that should be how much and ex costs, but well, sometimes you gotta deal.
  • nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone

Well, short of sounding utterly vain about this {and/or just plain silly!}, I was just was wondering why I've seen so many Civics around that have the DX, LX, or EX little 'insignia' thingy on the back, yet my '07 black LX sedan does not.
    It certainly isn't something that's got me upset, just curious. Does anyone know why? We picked it up in Mass....it's final assembly was done in Ohio...I was wondering if it's determined by the color, or where it's assembled or something? I just can't rest until I know :P !

One more thing. I've read -somewhere- on one of the Civic forums that they are liked by thieves...anyone else read that? Weren't they racing Civics on 'The Fast & The Furious' ?! I mean, I really think my car is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS ;) and am SURE everyone else does too {hee hee!}so I'm getting a bit worried that when we go out to the 'big city' {I'm talking maybe 20,000 people}, that someone will steal it!! We live in a very rural part of Vermont, and don't hear a whole lot about stolen cars at any of these bigger towns we go to...but I guess it's a concern. For us at this point, it's not financially possible to invest in a security system. The added cost of the insurance and the payment is enough at this point :blush:

Maybe just some basic 'heads up' rules to follow would be good advice!

Anyway, just lovin' the car. It's so snappy!
    All models just have the word "Civic" on the back of them now...no more designation about which model it is. Pretty easy to tell though. DX's have black outside mirrors; LX's have color keyed outside mirrors; EX's have alloy wheels,sunroofs and disc brakes all around & Hybrids have alloys made especially for them...very lightweight with no spokes.
    Always thought the little chrome DX's, LX's & EX's were a bit much...better to keep the chrome to a minimum.

yes yes the sand is right! Now its no ones buisness if you have a dx, lx or ex. (the mirrors is a good indication...i always look at the door handles; dx's have black ones, lx has body colored but no alloys, ex has alloys.)

don't worry about your civic being stolen. The reason older civics were popular to steal was because it was a car that could very easily be made fast due to its light weight and hardiness of its engine. Theives also like fast cars. But they wont be paying too much attention to your new civic!
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    Can the EX have a trailer hitch attached? I would'nt pull a trailer, but I like the bike racks that fit on the back. They slide into a trailer hitch and are tightened with a bolt. For my kayak and canoe I would get a portable roof rack, but don't like the idea of putting bikes up there. Plus, I already have the bike rack that fits into a trailer hitch.
  • nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    Ah Sandman,

How do you always know the answer! Thanks. I can rest now ;)
    I think the thing looks very sharp w/o the extra chrome too. My kids & husband are so sick of me pointing out every Civic and it's trim level to them these last few months, it's good I've finally gotten my own to keep me amused!

Thanks again!
  • gene2gene2 Member Posts: 10
    The headrest angle bothered me a lot, too. Adjusting the seatback angle was not an option for me as I like an "upright" seat position. Solution - I spent $95.00 and bought an '07 Accord headrest. It fits perfectly in the Civic seat and has a much less severe angle. Hope this helps. It worked wonders for me.
  • bbb7bbb7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Honda DX-G coupe and I want to know if there is anyway to increase the ground clearance?
    If I do dirve it this Winter I will puchase snow tires for sure.
    But I am really concernred about the low fron clearance and how it will respond when Trying to get off the highway with 8 in snow banks...
    Lift kit >? New Rimms?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    But I am really concerned about the low front clearance and how it will respond when Trying to get off the highway with 8 in snow banks...
    Lift kit >? New Rimms?

Just mat the throttle and plow right over it, that's what bumpers are for. I did that in my Miata and had no problems. You are talking about the snow left behind by the plows, correct? You'll plow through it just fine. You can't drive a civic in 8 inches of snow on the road you need a 4x4 with real ground clearance for that. ;)
    But snow trails just take a bit of speed and boom you're through, no drama. I do this all the time in my Subaru and have since it was brand new. It have over 200K on the clock now,so the snow didn't hurt it much. :shades:
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Switch drum brakes to discs easily? I doubt it and it won't be cheap. Odds are good that the ABS controller has a different program on the EX vs. LX and the LX unit won't like what it senses with the new disc brakes. Additionally, you run the risk of needing new abs sensors, new hubs and different parking brake cables, possibly a different master cylinder because these have all been things different on Honda vehicles with disc and drum options.
  • jasonc3jasonc3 Member Posts: 15
    Wow, i was looking for my car back in October of 2006, and i ended up getting it in early 2007 i think, so it's been a year i've had my 07 Civic Si, and i'm happy i got it! Just thought i'd let yall know! =)
  • radboi22radboi22 Member Posts: 1
    my front brakes on my 92 honda civi will tighten up and will try to lock up after the car is warmed up. then after it cools you can drive it again. i have change master cylinder because the brake pedal was going to the floor. i have bleed the lines time and time a agian but no change. could it be the booster or one of the lines anyone with any ideas. it kinda sucks bc i use my car for my job. and always have to stop and get my scooter sucks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Your front calipers sound like they are frozen. Have you replaced them?

This is common problem with front calipers. Crud and moisture build up behind the piston, and since the pad is wearing down and the pistons continue pushing outward....everything is okay. When the pads are finally replaced, and the pistons are forced back into the caliper, the crud binds up the piston so it is no longer free to float. The hydralic braking pressure forces it out, but when the foot is taken off the brake the piston doesn't float back. Results is that the rotor is continually gripped (and overheats).

In your case, sounds like you can run until your rotor heats up and expands...gripping the rotor very tight, until it is able to cool down again. If you have had this caliper problem, you may have overheated your rotors and warped them. You'd know this by when you are coming to a stop your brake will feel like it is pulsating. If so, then replace the rotors as well.

I usually just replace mine at every two or three brake pad changes.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    I just clean the dust boots and lubricate the slider pins. I only replaced a set of Honda calipers once, because the dust boots cracked from heat and it just happened again, so I drove them another 90,000 miles with cracked boots and no issues other than cleaning and lubing them at pad changes. At least quality reman'd calipers are cheap at Auto Zone if they truly are piston problems, but I've seen far more issues with slider pins being dry and sticking.
This discussion has been closed.