Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Electrical and Lighting Problems

13»

Comments

• bluelightningbluelightning Member Posts: 1
    hi i just bought a used 87 f350 two wheel drive dually.the anti-lock lite in the dash stays on and im not that educated with anti-lock systems.
  • siemensranchsiemensranch Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Ford F-350 V8 and have a fuse in the engine box that keeps blowing. It is the one that controls the running lights and the dashboard lights. If I "hotwire" the fuse, the running lights will work; but the dashboard lights still won't work. I don't know if it is the light switch itself that is bad or what. I can't find a short anywhere...

anyone have any suggestions?
  • gkliegibelgkliegibel Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact problem - '99 F150. Door ajar & interior light (&back light) and ding, ding stays on when door is closed. Did you replace the door switch assembly? Please let me know how you resolved this. Thanks.
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    On my 08 f350, crew, diesel, srw, 60K, the back up sensor will sometimes be off when I start the truck. Pushing the botton doesn't do anything it stays off. If I shut the truck off and start it again it may be on or off. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Any one else noticed this?
  • dtoffelmiredtoffelmire Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone help me i have a 03 f150 super crew and i have had the battery go dead twice now while the truck was just sitting. Also the battery light comes on an the ABS light and the radio and climate control light goes off at the same time. Had it in to my local shop they tested it an said it was just a bad cell in the battery. But i can see it happening once but not twice in a month. Any help would be great thank you :sick:
  • adaal50adaal50 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a battery changed at Walmart. The battery lugs were in bad shape so I had them replaced. They used the existing wires. They were in good shape. A month or so later I had no battery. I wiggled the positive terminal a bit and got a good connection. Happened several more times. I tried a different battery and replaced the positive lug again to no avail. Thinking there might be a common connection which may have been compromised during the twisting action of the wires during the replacement. This 2001 F-150 4.6 has different battery wiring than anything I've owned before. Any ideas???
  • enid370enid370 Member Posts: 2
  • enid370enid370 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    I have a 1999 F350, Lariat, CC that I recently purchased with 104,000 miles. When I am driving the truck all the sudden the open door light comes up and no door is open. When I stop the truck the stop light stays on for a while and then turns off by itself. What could be causing this problem? Also, I have noticed an oil leak in the front area. When I touched underneath I could see a lot of oil build up in the area. Could this be a hose that is loose?
  • btassinbtassin Member Posts: 2
    I have a F250 Diesel and everytime I try to start my truck the fuel fuse blows. I checked the wire harness for shorts and re-taped all wires. The truck worked for about 3 weeks and now the problem has started again. I've checked all wiring again, and cannot find a problem. does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
  • btassinbtassin Member Posts: 2
    I have a F250 Diesel and everytime I try to start my truck the fuel fuse blows. I checked the wire harness for shorts and re-taped all wires. The truck worked for about 3 weeks and now the problem has started again. I've checked all wiring again, and cannot find a problem. does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
  • sekjrsekjr Member Posts: 2
    How do you remove the chrome bezel from around the front lights cluster.
    I'm trying to replace a bulb in the upper clear plastic lens, and access from the inside is impossible....

What is the upper clear lens light for?

Thanks...
  • dbernharddbernhard Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem and have done a little research. Mine went dead leaving the heater fan switch on low and when the ignition was turned off, the blower motor kept running. The reason is, that ford trucks are known for a moisture leak in wet weather on the driver's side windshield. Moisture runs in behind the dash over the top of the fuse box where the G.E.M. (generic electronic module) is located. This moisture shorts this circuit board, which controls the heater motor some interior lights, and the one touch power window control on the drivers door as well as probably some other things. I haven't pulled mine out yet, but I noticed that I do have moisture getting in; probably will do it this weekend. Mine still works when it's dry, so I'm going to try and seal it up. They (the part) are in the neighborhood of $350.00 wholesale.
    Probably moisture in the G.E.M. (generic electronic module) right above the interior fuse box on my 2000
  • dtoffelmiredtoffelmire Member Posts: 3
    Thank you that also explains the water drip from my holy [non-permissible content removed] handle. I will check it out as soon as it warm enough. still below 0c here. :)
    I pulled out the fuse block and the gem. The problem is actually water in the top of the fuse block that the gem is plugged into and it shorts the connections. Cleaned the water out of the fuse block (there was no water in the gem) let it all dry, then siliconed the seams of the fuse block and it's all good. a couple of hours, not too hard, and very few tools. Piece of cake...! If you need directions, I typed up a little thing with pictures. E-mail me at denbe47@ yahoo.com and I'll email it to you. (put GEM in the subject heading.
  • tostadotostado Member Posts: 1
    I started having problems with my power windows won't move at the same time my wippers and dome light went out it,the wired thing is some times it all works again for a couple min. I checked all the fuses and they are ok. Does somebody know what the problem could be. :confuse:
    Has it been raining where you are tostado? All those items you mentioned are controlled by the GEM (generic electronic module) on top of the interior fuse box (see the post above) If you think it might be, e-mail me and I'll send you the directions. Email is denbe47@yahoo.com
  • madashell6madashell6 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a F-150 and I have had electrical problems since the test drive. The battery light came on while test driving. They took it to service and after waiting for an hour and a half they said it was a cable they fix, light is off so I buy the truck. Since buying the truck The truck has died twice the battery light continues to come on gauges die right before the truck shuts off. I have owned the truck for 5 weeks and I have had it in the shop 5 times. The service department can't find anything wrong. Its like the truck re sets itself after it has been off for awhile. Has anybody experienced this problem? How did you fix it?
  • nano9nano9 Member Posts: 4
    parking lights(tail lights) and dash light and lights above the cab and license plate lights not working on my 94 f350 with 7.3 turbo diesel
  • nelligan435nelligan435 Member Posts: 1
    ok I have a 96' F-450 diesel powerstroke 7.3L 2 wd. My turnsignals were fading on and off randomly. Then y radio started going nuts quickly turning on and off. The next morning my batteries were dead. I suspected the alternator so I replaced it. I recharged my batteries that are both less than a yr. old, but my truck is not recharging my batteries. My battery guage is not up to where it needs to be and my batteres continue to die. I am no mechanic at all and don't know much at all, someone walked me through the alternator change over the phone, I am a self employed carpenter w/ just this one truck and am unable to work now and it's costing my family money, can someon please help me. If it's easier to call, my cll # is 267-481-0552, I appreciate any help.
  • drscalfarodrscalfaro Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same issue with one of our fleet trucks. Have yo been able to resolve the issue? What dealer are you using> Maybe we can get them talking to one another
  • hearnmikehearnmike Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 f350 6.0L, my interior lights wont turn off when the doors open and they wont turn on when i first enter the truck, all door switches have been replaced! any ideas??
  • hearnmikehearnmike Member Posts: 2
    did you find how to fix the problem? im have the same thing happen!
  • clint56clint56 Member Posts: 1
    Mt tail lights quit working. still have turn signals and brake lights. the trailer wiring plug has no power to trailer tail light either. there is only 1 volt going to the tail lights on the truck. I checked at the main harness plug at the back of the bed and only have 1 volt there also. they worked this morning.
  • osofineosofine Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 F-250 SD Lariet PS Diesel 6.0. The first year that they put the Automatic Temperature Contol System in trucks. Intermittently the power cuts out to the unit and panel goes black and the heat, fan, A/C, ext temp, Nothing works. I have been told to take it to a dealer when it is malfunctioning. Easier said than done. We are retired, tow a trailer and are often not near a dealer. The problem is that it resolves itself eventually. Usually before we get to a dealer appointment. It has lasted as long as 3 days and as short as 3 hours. Sometimes it will go off while we are driving, other times it will happen when we start the truck. Sometimes it come back on while we are driving, or when we start it. Stopping the truck and restarting it will not make it come on. Hitting it, hitting buttons etc doesn't do a thing to it. It comes back on when it feels like it. In a rain storm the defrost is necessary, so we have to drive with the windows 1/2 open. Sometimes it goes months without malfunctioning. I think the last space of time was 8 months. I don't know if it is a connection problem, but if it was it should go on and off when we pound on it or the dash ? Driving down the road it will just come on and work fine for months. Other times it will act up every week for a month and then stop for months. Driving me nuts! Please someone - tell what's wrong. All suggestions will be tried.
  • luvtheheatluvtheheat Member Posts: 1
    osofine, you're in the throes of lying cheats. Tell your mechanic to contact North County Ford in Vista, CA. I went round-n-round with these clowns over my issue, finally threatening to lemon law the truck ('08 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 6.4 PS). They have the answer, just be resilient! I also had huge issues with the Sirius radio cutting out. Another major pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and I had to resort to threats to get it fixed. They know they have these issues but the Motor Co doesn't want to recall anything! Good luck, let me know how it works out.
  • hertagelbtruckhertagelbtruck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-150 Heritage, XL Package. About a month ago I tried to start the truck in the morning. When I turned the key In the ignition, my dash board lights started to go In and out with intensity. ( Like a poltergist) The engine wouldn't fire. It would crank over, but that was it. I let the truck sit for @ an hour and retried and it started. I took vehicle to a reputable service center and they called back and infomed me that they were unable to duplicate problem. They had put on various diagnostic testing that revealed nothing. Since that time I have had this recurring problem about 6 times . No one has heard about this issue. Any suggestions or any one else with similar problems?
  • tonyetonye Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2011
    Just picked up a used 2003 f150. The previous owner mentioned that the cigarrette lighter was not working and it may be due to a blown fuse. Turns out there was no fuse (fuse/relay3) in the fuse box and it's the same circuit with the OBD data collector.

So bought a new relay fuse (oem) from a local Ford dealer but that did not fix the problem. I've seen a few (handful) of similar threads via Google searches and but no solution other then replace the fuse.

Anyone else run into this and is there recommended troubleshooting tip to try next?

Thanks,
  • sandrm1sandrm1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if you have found an answer. I've been researching this as well. I found this link that describes the same issue as we are having. They have concluded it is a bad instrument cluster. At a cost of $500 + labor, I am still researching. Another site suggested changing out the instrument circuit board first. I'm not sure if the '04 was included in the recall (electrical fires), but check into that as well.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/306610-1999-f150-starting-in- strument-cluster-problems.html
  • robertlea7robertlea7 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar issue and finally found that my Alternator was going out. Had it replaced and all is well so far.
  • polar71polar71 Member Posts: 1
    Any one know the wiring colors of the door jam switch that controls the dome light in a 2003 f150? Trying to tie into it to install courtesy lights in my doors.
    Thanks