Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Pacifica

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited June 2014 in Chrysler
Have an idea to improve the Pacifica? Maybe a bit of a redesign, or added features or gadgets, or maybe just a few additional color choices? Well, this is the place to let Chrysler know what you think would do the job.

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    PLEASE PLEASE give me a choice of a diesel engine in the 2008 model!

I'd LOVE to get one with the same MB engine being used in all of their SUVs this coming year (R320cdi, GL320cdi, ML320cdi).

If the Pacifica doesn't have this option, I'm going to have to do something drastic like spend $57k on the R320cdi come September 2008 when our Pacifica's lease is up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    So you'd spend $20-30k more for a vehicle to save $1k/year in fuel costs?

I think a lot of people would like a 7 passenger version, 2nd row bench and the rear seat. A little more headroom and legroom in the third row would be welcome, but the biggest thing is more cargo space behind the third row.
    nah. there is more to it than that, of course.

If it was a diesel, I would plan to buy it and keep it for a LOONNGG time. I also firmly believe the resale on a diesel equipped model would be much higher, so you've got that to work into the math, too. It would also be quite a bit more powerful (and not just that 0-60 kind of power, but the real highway passing power that our pacifica lacks).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    My Pacifica is impressive in many ways. On the road it is incredible...

Big change needed is a 6 speed transmission and more HP. Of course a Hemi would be terrific.

Also why arent the controls on the steering wheel lighted? I rented a cheap Saturn last weekend and the controls were lit. I bet the lights are in the steering wheel already but they just didnt get wired.
    Big change needed is a 6 speed transmission and more HP.

Your request has already been answered with the '07 Pac.

• phillyguy5phillyguy5 Member Posts: 10
    I would like to see Paris Hilton sitting in my passenger seat. Especially when I pull up to the gas pump.
  • dcbrandsdcbrands Member Posts: 1
    Had an '04 Pac; just finished 1st month with new '07 Pac. The new 4.0L w/ 6-speed trans is a night vs day improvement. This is the powertrain that the car should have been born with!
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Rumors in the Detroit Free Press suggest that the next generation of the Pacifica has been canceled. Anyone know more?
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    From the Car Connection:

The Chrysler Pacifica crossover could be headed for the scrap heap, if reports from the Detroit Free Press pan out. The paper reports that all work on the replacement for the Pacifica has been stopped by Chrysler. The project, code-named CT, was to make its production debut in 2009. The project could merely be on hold, the Free Press speculates, as Chrysler tries to mitigate its losses this year after a third-quarter red ink flow of $1.5 billion. The Pacifica was an early entrant into a market that is now overflowing with vehicles like the Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Edge, and Saturn Outlook.
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I'm a happy owner so far (or my wife is) of a '06 Pacifica signature series.

The car has very good ride and enough oomph in the engine. Surely you always want more but it has enough.

The only 'complaint' I have is that this fairly high prized vehicle does not have automatic running lights. I did have the daytime driving lights turned ON (country code Canada) but it just amazes me why it is not standard on all Pacs to have true automatic lights, i.e. the ones with daytime driving lights that automatically change to dark time running lights as the sun sets down.

That is all I would improve by my 4 month experience so far.

Arrie
    hmmm... ours has them. I'm not sure if it was an option or park of a package or what. Ours is pretty well loaded, but its not a Limited.

I wouldn't expect it to be standard on all pacs because the base model is actually a pretty inexpensive vehicle.

• chris5639chris5639 Member Posts: 12
    qbrozen, I think arrie was referring to standard daytime running lights in addition to the automatic headlamps. Higher trim pacs (including the Signature Series) all have automatic headlamps but they don't come on when it's light outside. I believe arrie was talking about having them come on as daytime running lamps and then switching to reg lamps upon dark. By having your dealer program the computer for Canada the daytime running lights will work but I thought that just meant your car's headlamps will be on at all times. Arrie, are you saying DRL's use a different set of bulbs in the cluster?
    chris,

What I'm talking about is that this Signature Series that I have does not have any kind of automatic lights as it came, i.e. no daytime driving lights or automatically working head lamps that would turn on automatically when it gets dark. This disagrees with your statement of higher trim Pacs (including the Signature Series).

The only automatically working light now is the daytime running lights that I had turned on by the dealer. That fix is the country code setting 'Canada'. I believe in Canada daytime running lights now are mandatory in new cars so that function is built in all Pacs. They just don't enable it for U.S. market. But it can be as was done to my Pac.

Daytime running lights use the high beam bulbs but with reduced voltage so they are quite dim even in dark. But they are on and make car more visible in daytime driving, which is the whole idea.

The higher trim Pacs as I have should come with automatic head lamps that turn on at dark. Some packages have it but amazingly Signature Series does not.

Arrie
  • prawiepawprawiepaw Member Posts: 3
    I have 2005 signature series and car come with automatic head lamps that turn on at dark.What year You got?

prawie paw
    Mine is 2006.

Arrie
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    I hate automatic headlights and DRL's. It's just my preference, though. As long as I can disable both of the features, I don't care if my vehicle has them. One ov my vehicles has just autolamps and I never use it. Another vehicle I owned had DRL's that I was able to disable.

I cannot remember if my 2004 Pacifica had autolamps or not. A quick check of the owner's manual should help.
  • chris5639chris5639 Member Posts: 12
    Arrie, I'm guessing you have the FWD Signature Series. I read in my Sig Series brochure and only the AWD models come with auto headlamps as part of the pkg.
    Yes, mine is FWD as in Louisiana you really do not need AWD.

It just doesn't make sense that the vehicle manufacturer does not think that FWD vehicle drivers might benefit from automatic head lights also. It does get dark down south at night time also.

I have a '04 Tahoe and it has totally automatic driving lights. Daytime driving lights are ON at all times when you drive it unless you choose to turn them off. At dark head lights come on automatically.

Some people think it is waste of money to use driving lights during daylight driving as you do not need them to see your way but at the same time these people forget that you also need to be seen in traffic for others to know you are around. Daytime driving light do a great service for this and automatic lights even more when they come ON when the driver just forgets or chooses to turn them on too late.

Arrie
  • bapriebebapriebe Member Posts: 25
    I can (maybe) see not having automatic headlights available on a base model to differentiate it from the upper trim levels. But not being able to add it to the FWD Touring models is just a ridiculous marketing decision IMHO. Cars costing far less than a Pacifica have this option available.
  • mas1169mas1169 Member Posts: 5
    I actually prefer the drl's that are integrated into the amber turn signal bulbs. They actually used these on some of the 2nd generation Caravans and Voyagers. GM uses this feature on their FWD minivans (Venture/Uplander,Montana etc)as well as Buick Century/Regal, Chev Camaro/Pont Firebird and some Corvettes. I think the amber versions stand out more than the ones integrated into the headlights. Wish I could figure out a way to do this on my 2005 Pacifica.
  • gmoneigmonei Member Posts: 7
    TO BAD CHRYSLER DOESN'T PUT A 5.7 L HEMI IN THE PACIFICA LIKE THE 300 C,MAGNUM,ETC.IF A JEEP CHEROKEE CAN GET A HEMI ,A PACIFICA SHOULD HAVE ONE TOO!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Be ware that Pacifica is a FWD vehicle and cannot handle a Hemi. Even for the AWD version it's too much, and can cause lots of torque steer problems. All vehicles you mentiond are RWD cars so the HEMI is not a problem for them.
  • az1111az1111 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the dealer say that we can't even have the automactic headlights added at the service department for our 2006 Touring model. I was completely surprised to find out the model and package options we purchased didn't include this feature. Didn't even think we had to ask. I found out through on-line search of models and options that this was only for the AWD models as you described. How Chyrsler chose to limit this to only AWD models is beyond me. I've sent a letter to Chrysler customer service to confirm that this can't be added at the dealership after the fact.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I picked up my new 2007 Touring FWD on Friday evening. I've been enjoying it ever since. Drove it to Virginia and back yesterday and have seen very reasonable MPG. I look forward to sharing more in the various Pacifica forums. After traveling I can say, FOR ME, the only thing I'd enjoy is about 8-10 more cubic feet of room behind the third row seats.
    Even 4"-5" more length back there would be a help. (10cuft would require extending it by at least a foot and I doubt they would do that.) Especially if they can raise the roof over the back row to substantially increase head room. You need to be really short to fit in the 3rd row of my 2004.
    I'm not so sure of that... I was parked today next to a Town and Country and they are comparable heights--the Pacifica is a bit shorter. It seems that they managed to get considerable room behind the minivan third row (20plus cubic feet if I recall) by utilizing the floor pan. The Pacifica doesn't make us of the space "down low". Again--it's not something that was a deal breaker but just a touch more space back there (even the 4-5" inches you suggest) would be welcome! My daughter can't get her friends AND all their sleepover necessities in comfortably!! LOL
    I don't know that there is much space below the bumper line as you describe. The spare tire is under there too.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    We're (probably) about to order a Limited AWD. (The price and features are two compelling reasons compared to the Saturn Outlook, Acura MDX, upcoming Mazda CX-9, Audi Q7, etc.) In 2006 there was a stand alone option for a full size spare tire that is not available on the 2007 models. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the underside of the PAC has been changed that would not allow me to substitute a full sized spare. For some reason, is the full-diameter "doughnut" the only thing that will fit under the rear of the car?

Jay
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    My guess would be that the new dual exhaust doesn't allow room for the full size spare.
    Good question, perhaps the AWD system interferes. You've made me curious enough to look under my new Pacifica once the rain stops. I couldn't find a statement about the spare on my invoice. Between the dual exhaust and the standard tire pressure monitoring system, perhaps they felt the "doughnut"--assuming that is what's there--is sufficient.
  • rkneenrkneen Member Posts: 1
    I love the the Pacifica, drives great and a beautiful car in all respects EXCEPT the design of the back of the car. Those cheesy black plastic panels on the D-pillars interrupt the flow of the design of the rest of the car and make it look "squatty" and fat. My suggestion would be to extend the present tailight up, replacing the cheesy black plastic panels, and adding for "Euro-appeal" to the car - kind of like one of the Volvo wagons or SUVS. Anyone know if there are custom tailights like that I can buy for this car?
  • kkodalkkodal Member Posts: 34
    :confuse: i would love to get a pair of hood support shocks to hold up the hood.it seems little cheesy to have an old fashion rod to hold up the hood.and some lighting under the side mirros would look nice as well.the explorers have those mud lights or whatever they call them.i know the pacifica is an awesome vehicle and all but i mean having these options should not be THAT expensive compare to what we pay for the vehicle.
    my dealer still tells me i can't get the DRL's turned on.they say that it is impossible and won't even try it.first they said they would charge $80 and when i said go ahead and do it they said it would be waste of money to try it so they did not do it.never seen a dealer this geneorus(yeah right)they still can't figure out what i need to purchase to get the auto headlights so i got my mirror from e-bay and need to get the stalk and i think i am all set...
    I want to see a MAJOR MAJOR Change on how these dealers work
    why can't these dealer keep up with what's going on with their vehicle.they should know what is available for their vehicle as aftermarket.
  • thercktherck Member Posts: 5
    :P Very close to a decision to purchase an '07 Pacifica Touring. I would prefer to see an option (or standard on higher end models) for a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel rather than the manual tilt only configuration. Sure, the optional power adjustable pedals may seem nifty, but they are far less valuable, functional or commonly available than the PTT wheel.

And, the previous poster is absolutely correct about a piston assist hood support rather than a prop rod, especially when a massive/weighty hunk of metal is involved. Save the cheapie odds and ends for the lightest/lowest level transports.

Therck
  • vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    The prop rod is cheesy and some of the engine components really look like they are from the 1960's. :(

by the way...the hood is NOT metal but a composite material.
    :)
    thanks
    whereas as assisted hood would be nice, i'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me. i've had hondas, mazdas, an alfa, jeeps (oh, wait, the CJ actually had NOTHING. you folded the hood back and rested it on the windshield frame!), subaru, and a slew of other vehicles from other manufacturers ... all with prop rods. Now, if our $30k Honda Pilot had an assisted hood and the $30k Pacifica didn't, MAYBE I'd wonder why. But it didn't, so I don't.

The one thing that's been bugging me every time I drive it since the nice weather started is the fact that there is no auto-up on the driver's window. Now THAT'S a feature I've had in FAR less expensive vehicles.

• jmf1jmf1 Member Posts: 1
    1. Put back the auto light switch option that was taken out of the front wheel drive version in 2006.
    2. Put back the low tire pressure sensor or have this as an option for ALL the vehicles
    3. Use a better GPS program. This one cannot find a place name like McDonalds - it uses the entire USA to choose from. Additionally it goes into "uncharted area" very frequently - not just on new roads. Road names not usually visible on the map, so if you're looking for a particular turnoff its difficult ot find. I've also been routed 10 miles around to take an interstate when the destination is one mile up the road. (No, I'm not in Timbucktoo, I live in NC, USA) The portable GPS systems are much better value.
    4. U-Connect Hands free could be improved - it would be nice to shorten the messages from the robot voice - and my call waiting doesn't work, it just hangs up on the first cal whenever another call comes in. I'd also like a button to turn it off so that when a call comes in my kids can't listen in.
    5. Placement of the air vents for the middle seats needs to changed - if the front seats are moved back for legspace, the air is blocked by the seat.
    6. A more powerful engine option.
    7. A pocket on the back of the driver's seat. Putting one only on the other side is chintzy. At least give an option for this.

Other than that, this is a very nice car, its my 2nd.
  • jim179jim179 Member Posts: 1
    I have asked 2 dealers if the PAC can be towed behind an RV, and they couldn't give me an answer. Does anyone know? Thanks; Jim
  • kkodalkkodal Member Posts: 34
    i don't see why not...if you can place the car on Neutral then you can tow it behind an RV.of course you'd have to get the tow bars and all that stuff hooked up to the car but i think it is doable.dealers don't know anything anyways.any good info you need and you ask the dealers they would not have the slightest idea to answer the questions.they act like you are asking them a question about a space shuttle. :confuse:
  • vtraudtvtraudt Member Posts: 52
    I installed an aftermarket remote start. But all systems/installer say they cannot set the heated seats and rear defrost to come on when the car is started with the remote, which defeats the main purpose of the remote start.

The problem is that they are not controlled with manual switches, but 'signal' buttons (that always return to off when the ignition is turned off).

Does any one have access to the wiring diagram for the seats and the rear defrost?
    I would like to install a good old fashioned manual switch to have both in "on" position and need to find the right wire to splice into so they are 'on' when remote starting the car.
This discussion has been closed.