Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    rhollis: I guess by today you might know something. I sure hope you are able to resolve this to your satisfaction. It's a real hardship to have a vehicle you pay big green backs for and it gives you a pain in the neck with. From last August until now there has been two additional TSB's, so there just is no reason to not have reflashed the TCM.

farout
  • Options
    dooucdoodooucdoo Member Posts: 19
    farout:The speed limit is 75 mph here in North Dakota, everyone drives 80 so I'm just keeping up with the flow of traffic. :shades: I have about 300 miles on my Pac since the last flash and TC replacement, no hint of a lugging/shudder. I have not used the auto-stick at all.
  • Options
    hotsshotss Member Posts: 9
    I have a 07 pac, same problems with it as everyone else. My question is, does anyone have trouble starting their car? Sometimes I get in and turn the key and it makes a quick noise like it wants to start, but it does nothing.It keeps doing it 5 or 6 times and then it finally starts. This is a new problem for me, Im just wondering if mine is the only one that does it.
  • Options
    hotss:

Yes, I have had that same problem. Usually it starts on the 3rd try. I mentioned it to my dealer at my last visit and they said they could not find anything wrong. I knew that would be my luck, it would start fine while it was in their hands. I have seen other posts about this....you are not the only one.
  • Options
    dooucdoo: Well I praise the Lord we have not experienced any starting problems at all! The shudder seems to have gone, and as far as we can tell shifts just like it should. We put Cemis gas in the other day (which I know better to do as it's cheaper gas, sometimes) and we got 23 mpg on 200 miles. We get the best mpg on Philips 66 for what ever reason? Anyone have any idea why?
    I have a person I have become good talking buddies with at Chrysler LLC. There are big changes taken place. They are eliminating a lot of the support people. Just about anyone making over $14. an our they are offering to buy their retirement out now. Chrysler is closing several plants that have been good factories, and folks are being forced into the jobless market. Being retired myself, I feel sorry for these and other workers being layed off before retirement age. It's hard finding a decent wage job when you are in the late fourties and fifties.
    Just to add some information, the Chevy Equanox engine comes from China and the tranny is from Japan. Chevy has been putting the 3.4 L engine from China from back in 2005. They have sorta slipped it in softly so not to bring much attention to this fact. I have to say Chrysler is doing some business with China too, but so far brings nothing into it's different brands.
    I find it hard to accept a WW II vet with a Purple Heart Lic. Plate driving a KIA or Japan made car. If China can't make simple Toys safe for our children, what makes us think their cars and engines are any good either? China pays slave labor wages, we should boycott the games in China this year, maybe?
    Well thank goodness that Windsor, Canada makes such a great PAC!

farout
  • Options
    waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I just picked mine up tonight after the converter swap. Seems to be fine now.
  • Options
    rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    I would be of the opinion that the starter is failing.
  • Options
    farout: the gas mileage you're getting is fantastic. Most of my driving is in the city so I'm only getting 15-16 mpg. How many miles have you put on your PAC since the last t/c and flash? Funny you bring up Equinox, my sister just bought bought one last night and I have to say the Pac is much nicer on the inside and hers is a fully loaded model. My last 3 vehicles were Toyotas and they were all absolutely bulletproof. I never had one single problem with any of them which adds to my frustration with the Pac. I really hope this last t/c and flash will do the trick because I really, really like the vehicle.
  • Options
    dooucdoo: I believe I can say that the shudder is gone. We had about 300 miles when we no longer felt the shudder. We have about 13600 miles on our 2007 PAC AWD Touring. The longer we have it the better we like it. Toyota has dropped in J. D. POWERS quality ratings. I have never owned but one vehicle made in Japan, it was a 1978 Datsun pick up. Had good pickup hauled a trailer ok, but the electrical and engine parts were constantly needing expensive repair. So that did me in on Japan made vehicles. I have owned many VW's up until 1972. Bus and type 3 fast backs and 1 buss. Mostly pretty good. But from 1973 on we have bought mainly Chrysler made vehicles, We had some Fords and they did not measure up to Chrysler products by a huge measure. I gave up on used vehicles after 1991. If there was one lemon in a thousand used cars I would pick it! What can I say, I think I have some ability for picking a good vehicle, but not when it comes to used vehicles.
    I spend a lot of time checking out the safety ratings of vehicles, then the rating of the rest of the vehicle. I always get an extended warranty, and I most always come out ahead. The only vehicle made by Chrysler that we really did not like was the Jeep Compass! The compass is a cheaply made poorly designed, fully cheap plastic interior rough riding over priced Caliber descised as a Jeep. Ant the Compass is no Jeep! Heck we got 22 mpg with that CVT which must be much less cost than a regular transmission, coupled with a gutless 2.4 L World Engine, made with Kia, Hyundai, and Chrysler. What a piece of crap!
    Now we think the PAC is the best vehicle we have ever owned, and the size is great for us retired folks that need all the protection we can get from a larger vehicle.

farout
  • Options
    rhollis: How did you make out on the abritation hearing?

farout
  • Options
    genniphurgenniphur Member Posts: 3
    Farout,

I like to have your suggestions on how to go about approaching the buy-back option. I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to begin talking about this. I tried searching the messages but couldn't seem to put in the right search terms to find what I was looking for.

Anybody have power steering problems like they (nhsta) are researching now related to the smoke and fires? Found an article online about that and it indicated a recall may be coming. Only the 4.0 of course.

I'm located in Missouri also, in the greater Kansas City area. Anybody have a Chrysler dealership they like around here, pls don't say Lee's Summit.

thx

jen R
  • Options
    I am not sure what your reason for even thinking about a buy back is. Buy there are several thinks that must be inorder for that to take place. As long as you bought the PAC new that's the first one, and you do not have 36,000 miles. Used does not qualify for a buy back. I am assuming you bought the PAC at Lee's Summit? If Lee's Summit was your selling dealer, most likely you are going to have to work with them. The reason is nobody makes any money off a buy back! It will be hard to get a dealer that will not make a dime to get involved. The general rule is you PAC has to have been in the shop 4 times for the samething (Missouri lemon law) however, on a buy back Chrysler LLC may think differently. It is best for you if you work with the selling dealer, as that will be what Chrysler will suggest, unless you have become really bitter at each other.
    Start by calling Customer Care at 800 992 1997 and go to the choice that says you want to share something with Chrysler. There are about 3 or 4 phone steps to go into. Tell them what the problems have been, and have your dates and mileage when the work was done, and the problems that were not fixed. They will call the dealer, and see what they are willing to do or say. Most likely you will be asked to contact the dealer and arrange for the Service manager to test drive the PAC and get back to them.
    Call the Service Manager and tell him or her, you want the Zone Rep. to be contacted about a buy back. Then call the Dealership Manager, and tell him you have asked the Service manager to get in touch with the Zone Rep. about a buy back. Tell him why you feel you are intitled to such. This should get enough attention for the Zone Rep. involved.
    Here are some must do's! DO NOT get rude. angry, or blow your top! Be pleasent, give praise in anything you can no matter how small. People in the dealerships, in Chrysler, and Customer Care get threats, cursed at and told off and called everything in the book. Be nice polite and give them lots of thanks for the help. This is a HUGE key in getting what you would like.
    This buy back, if you qualify, takes 90 to 120 days, so be patient. I have had two buy backs in 12 years and Chrysler has been real great. But I keep very detailed information, have names of people I have talked to, and all my rservice papers. I have done all my service at Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealerships.
    The only deralership I know of that I would suggest you to call is Bud Brown Chrysler in Overland Park, KS. Call the Service manager ans tell them what your problems are and see what they say.
    There is a cost to you for the miles you have driven your PAC. I paid no mileage on our 96 Caravan and $ ,05 on our 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel. The Jeep had been in the shop 25 times in 15 months. Chrysler was really super great to deal with! But I gave ultimate respect and thanked everyone I could for any help they gave.
    If you feel this might not be what fits your situation call the selling dealer and speak to the General Manager and tell them how unhappy you are and see what they can do to get you out of the PAC, Hope this helps. I know of at least three on different Edumands forums that have followed this forumla and got the buy back and they were very satisfied with the results.

farout
  • Options
    genniphurgenniphur Member Posts: 3
    I have been following this board for several months now. I bought my 07 PAC the end of March last year. There was something wrong upon delivery but I convinced myself it was a new car and I just wasn't used to driving it. It had a hesitation upon acceleration and would bang down into first when you would come to a stop. It also squeaked when you turned in either direction. By Fall I couldn't stand it any longer and took it into the dealer that I bought it from in Harrisonville, MO. They kept the car for two weeks changing the oil and replacing a body part that had slipped (known issue) The service manager verified to me that I had a transmission problem, one he considered to be dangerous and he indicated that he had said as much to STAR. He made a call to STAR in front of me or wherever you lodge these notices. He then told me that unfortunately he did not have a transmission certified mechanic on staff at the time and he recommended that I take it to the Lee's Summit dealership which I was loathe to do as I was acquainted with their worthlessness already. But, I did do that after the holidays, got an appointment and took it to Lee's Summit and told them the whole story and also complained about the squeaking again as Harrisonville could not duplicate it and therefore did not fix it. Lee's Summit kept it for two weeks (they would not loan us a car, but Harrisonville did so we would have something to drive). They indicated that I did not have a transmission problem and then proceeded to replace practically the whole front end due to broken struts, motor mounts, etc. My husband who is a capable mechanic indicated that all of these broken parts were due to the transmission banging around in there, and the service gentlemen straightened him out by explaining that this was normal wear and tear on a car with 20,000 miles on it. I was rather pissed at this ridiculous statement and left. I went home to wait patiently for my service survey - which never came.

The car did shift better after having all the broken parts replaced but it still shifts irradically and is beginning to drop back into first gear heavily again. I now have been hearing the sound of low power steering fluid at times when I turn. I still have the squeaky bedspring sound when I turn either direction, the back passenger window quit working, then the back passenger window began working and the back passenger side brake light quit working.

I hate this car. I want rid of it before it catches on fire.

In 10 months it was in the shop for four weeks and I will be returning tomorrow for the window and brake light - and I have indicated I would like to talk to them about getting rid of this car that I am now $9000 upside down in - even at zero percent interest and sending extra money with my payments. Being on the lemon list is not good for equity.

I assumed I should start with my dealer in Harrisonville to discuss buy back, but are you saying I should call this customer number first and then talk to the dealer?

Thanks for all you info - between Uncle Sam wanting a good portion of my income this year and this car my head is a bit boggled.

jen R
  • Options
    My Pacifica was in for 52 days in the first 8 months. Chrysler does not feel that this is abnormal. It has been arbitrated twice. For some reason I said that I would give Chrysler another chance if they would provide me with a loaner car and pick up my car. They have until May 6 to resolve my problems. So far their attorney has made a service appointment for April 22 at a dealership that is going out of business today - April 15. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I love my Pacifica, but it is the worst car that I have ever had, if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    frankbjrfrankbjr Member Posts: 7
    Genniphur,

What kind of power steering problems are you having? I get a rubbing sound when I turn the wheel (a full turn). Of course the dealer didn't here that just like they can't feel the shudder.
  • Options
    Call Customer Care first, and do as I stated. By what you say I think you may have a good chance at a buy back. Be pleasant, nice and keep your cool. You must win some one to see you are a valued customer rather than a angry loud mad customer, Good luck.

farout
  • Options
    barr1barr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had several problems with my Pac. I bought the car used and bought a 50 dollar deductible wrap around warranty - thank God! Recently both power seats and the heat to them went out. They replaced the module under the front seat. Then the accelerator began sticking just you start to press the gas to start up. After that I noticed a surge in the engine at low speeds. The short of it is that they charged me 120 dollars plus the 50 deductible to clean the injectors and associated parts to no avail. They ended up replacing some parts (similar to the throttle plate in carb cars) and now they are replacing the torque converter. Just think of it a new torgue converter in a car that has less than 36,000 miles.
  • Options
    frankbjrfrankbjr Member Posts: 7
    barr1 - my TC was replaced with about 2500 miles. I only owned the car for about 1 month when they replaced it. Bought the car with 1500 miles. Still shudders by the way. Good luck. The first and last Chrysler I will ever buy. That's is the biggest mystery to me. Since they don't help you or don't admit that the car has a problem. Do they really think you would ever buy another one of their cars? Or go back to the dealership? That's why the Japanese are kicking are [non-permissible content removed] in cars sales.
  • Options
    elmo3elmo3 Member Posts: 9
    Update: I have had the second TC installed in the vehicle along with the latest TSB Flash (March 2008) and it performed well for the first 300 miles but now have the same problems with shudder and hard shifts and in places worse than before. I am going to push the Lemon Law hard as we have filed against the dealer and Chrysler and refused there latest offer. At this point where do you draw the line? It is frustrating as this will be the last Chrysler I will ever own. I am working with attorneys in Ohio who are also just shaking there head. I gave the dealer "one more time" and still the result is the same. Don't give up and keep pushing hard and politely.
  • Options
    tigger12tigger12 Member Posts: 9
    Anyway I can get in contact with the attorney working on your case.... I am also in Ohio. Thanks.

Wayne
  • Options
    Wayne: Attorney fees will eat you up just as much as if you traded it in. However, have you attempted a buy back? That only costs you a fee per mile of use.
    How bad is your shudder. Keep in mind that a reflash and a TC change take 4,000 to 6,000 miles to be up to par. I had my TC replaced at 7500 miles and it did not do much. However, the Reflash done on March 31, at 12,200 miles has helped a little more with each couple of hundred miles. We do feel a difference, and now it is only barely there, and the mileage is 13,900 miles..
    If you are so fed up then let me know and I will tell you how a buy back works. I have had two buy backs, on a 1996 Dodge Caravan, and a 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel, and both times Chrysler has been very fair, and I would even say went the extra mile to resolve the situation.
    Good Luck,

farout
  • Options
    johnhenryhoehajohnhenryhoeha Member Posts: 10
    Ohio Lemon law allows you to ask for court cost and attorney fees. You can go on line and read the law, it doesn't take some one from Canada giving misinformation. Every state allows you to research the law. :lemon:
  • Options
    misterjason1misterjason1 Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any luck with this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing--when braking to a stop at a relatively slow speed, the transmission jerks a few times when it downshifts. In addition, I feel a "warble" when mildly accellerating at highway speeds. Lastly, the transmission seems to "jerk" when being put into gear.
  • Options
    fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    i have seen in the chrysler transmissions (A604) 41TE and 45RFE (these 2 tranny's im sure have to have pinion factors set) and later model transmissions have a pinion factor that must be set to tire size on pretty much all late model chrysler products if this pinion factor is not reset after i rebuild a chrysler transmission the trans doesnt want to work right. my thought is: maybe the pinion factor was wasnt set on some of these cars? from what i have read in these past few days of being a member here, most of these complaints i am seeing posted sound to me like the cars tcm(transmission control module) doesnt know the pinion factor (tire size)... I'm not saying this is a cure, but ive seen this problem since 1989 (introduction year of the A604 (41TE) transmission. i have seen multiple occasions of vehicles coming to my transmission shop with no factory pinion factor set.... hundreds +
  • Options
    Johnnhenryhoel: Perhaps asking for a buy back just might get you more of what you want. The Lemon Laws, as I have experienced, are a last resort, as once the jury gives their findings, that is final and no appeal is allowed, it's final. With asking for a buy back if you don't like the ffer you can use the Lemon Law. I believe Chrysler does not want negative images of unhappy customers. Hopes this gives you some more options to consider.

farout
  • Options
    I, quite frankly, do not think that Chrysler gives a damn. They have jerked me around for a year and I have had no results; just a car that does not perform as one might expect it to.
  • Options
    rhollis: It is really frustration when you know someone is treating you like dirt! By everything you have said it sure sounds like you are intitled to some kind of compremise or something. What year is your PAC? Did you buy it new or used and how many miles on it now? Oh if you don't mind saying what state do you live in? If you want to list the selling dealer that might alert others to stay away. Maybe some of us might think of something that might help ya. I know a couple of people who I would be willing to ask to look into the situation if you would like, If so I would need the vin, and anything else. I can only mention it to the couple of people who just might have some input for ya. Hope to hear from ya.
    Buy the way what happened with the hearing you had last?

farout
  • Options
    bulldozerbulldozer Member Posts: 31
    My Pac is not an All Wheel Drive. I do not have the shudder that everyone else seems to have, but I do have a very rough shift between second and third gear, even in auto-stick mode. And the clunk I get going into reverse is sure to break another motor mount before not too long. I have tried different driving styles to see if it makes a difference. I find that under hard acceleration, the trans shifts OK. Under light acceleration, that is where I get the hard shift. My trans has been flashed 4 times already. I don't really think a trans flash will fix my problem. I guess I could just floor it every time I take off, but when some other cars are in front of me, it is impossible. And considering the outrageous cost of gas...... It just feels like the car has been set up to tow a heavy load, and it isn't heavy enough-like shifting before you need to. Anyone else with the same problems? Any suggestions? It must be a solvable problem! My PAC has only 13,000 miles and I planned to keep it until the wheels had fallen off!
  • Options
    as a transmission rebuilder ive watched these units since 1989 if one of you guys will help me narrow down some of the causes of these problems ill try and help you figure this problem out. you guys have the cars that have the problems. i have the knowledge and resources at my finger tips 8 hours a day and have a laptop on my toolbox at work. I am not sure if a reflash sets the pinion factor in the trans control module (it should) but in the past few years i have seen hundreds of chysler products thats come into the shop with NO pinion factor set I just need 1 person here who has this complaint to go have your cars pcm checked for one of the most common causes of problamtic shifting in this particular transmission (41TE) A604 If its not set it may cure your problem and if it is set we will have eliminated 1 of the most common reasons for unpredictable shifting quality..just trying to help is all
  • Options
    The 4.0 engine uses a different transmission - I believe it is the 62TE. It a six speed.
  • Options
    thats why i listed the 41TE units specifically the six speeds on the road today are not hitting the aftermarket shops yet and informaion is still a bit slim on the 07/08 stuff chysler also used a 722.6 mercedes benz transmission in the magnums that has a known leaking tranny issue and this trans is way expensive to have built when a simple fix external of the trans can avoid a failure
  • Options
    bulldozer: What you describe is exactally what most of us started out with. The reflash does nothing noticable for most. The reason is the torque converter needs replaced, and the dealer's Service Manager may think because it's a FWD it may not need it. Wrong! There is a problem with the clutches in the TC. When the TC is R&R ed then the newest Reflash should make some big improvement. However the TCM and PCM may take a couple of thousand miles to get things learned and smoothed out. I do not think Borgue Warner (who designed and built these transmissions) had in mind that the engine could be in the 1200to 1800 and stay in any gear, especially 1200 rpm at 65 mph. I think this problem is almost a lugging sorta of thing. I am not techinical, so I am speaking just by my opinion. Tell the dealer that it's the TC and they will know what you mean. It took two full days for mine to be done, and some have waited a bit longer. I sure hope this helps. I too have the Lifetime Powertrain warranty, and the Max Care wrap Service Contract which makes just about everything Lifetime, and I hope I don't have to but another vehicle (we are retired) so maybe. But I need to stay away from the dealers showroom or I might think the latest and greatest would be better. I think my wife would run me over if we got another evhicle. We like our Pac very much, especially the MPG!

farout
  • Options
    jeschardtjeschardt Member Posts: 1
    My Pacifica has has one reflash and a new torque conver. It still has a continuous minor shudder at fifty five in high gear with the converter locked up. ( about 1200 RPM) It has the 19 inch wheel package. Do you think this might be a pinion adjustment problem? It is AWD
  • Options
    tigger12tigger12 Member Posts: 9
    I believe that you are right. Perhaps not just the pinion, but the entire drivetrain seems to have a shudder at a certain pitch (since it goes away under load). I feel that it has something to do with the backlash tolerances throughout the drivetrain and that it is a design fault...
  • Options
    On the Chrysler Forum on another website There has been talk about the pinion coming from the factory not set. I really don't know what that means, but there was a good bit of posting about it.
    How many miles ago did you have the TC and reflash done. In march they came out with a more current reflash which I had reflash done on March 31, and there seems to be no noticable shuddering, but I call it more like a lugging, as if the gear was to high for the engine RPM's. But we are very pleased not.

farout
  • Options
    To be honest, I am afraid to even go there with my dealer. I doubt they will take me seriously if I were to mention that I may have a blank pinion setting. They would look at me and go "...a what?". When I talk to them again, I plan to talk about the torque converter/reflash issue and see where I get with that. I may mention something about the setting and see if they know what it is first before I ask them to check it.
  • Options
    My '07 Pacifica Touring is at a dealer of Chrysler's choosing now. I have no idea what they are doing - frankly I don't think that they have a clue either. Their attorney picked up my car. I was supposed to be given a loaner which was to arrive around 12:30 yesterday. I still have not seen it. This is typical Chrysler. One of their higher ups is currently in India training people to be Customer Service Reps - an area in which Chrysler has no knowledge.
  • Options
    I have a suggestion, call 800-992-1997 and speak to a Customer care perso and tell them your issues. How many miles do you have on now from the mileage you had the TC R&R, and about what month did you have it done? I believe that something can be done, it's just making contact with the right people.

farout
  • Options
    rhollis: It would seem that you are being "shucked and jived", time for some attack modes! I would suggest that you contact the Gemeral manager of the dealer and tell him how you are being treated, and this just is unacceptable! Then call the Service manager and tell him the same! Then call 800 992 1997 customer care, and tell them the same. IF you have the Chryslers Attorney's phone # call him! Then I would picket the dealer from the sidewalk! Dealers hate pickets drives people away and sales go down. By what you have said this dealer is messing with your head. Unless you got the loaner after you posted this note. next post give us the dealres name, and those of us who are willing can call and tell them that what they have done is being noticed by who knows how many people. Keep us posted!

farout
  • Options
    Chrysler finally agreed to do the buy back on my crappy Pac. I am going into an Aspen. Right now the Aspen has a 3,000 dollar cash allowance. I was wondering if anyone that also did the buy back, are you entilted to the rebates. In my eyes it should be just like starting over, but my dealer said that he dosen't think I get any rebates if they give me sticker for the Pac,which was around 37 grand. Any help or experiences would be great!
    Thanks
  • Options
    First of all, check with your state's department of revenue, to have the sales tax you paid when you bought your car returned. You will need a letter from Chrysler saying they are buying it back, they won't just take your word for it.
    Second, go on line and sign up to buy a new car below invoice. they will send it out to 3 or 4 of your local dealers. You will receive more than one answer so be sure you don't end talking apples and oranges here. Make sure they are offering the exact same options.
    Remember Chrysler is only obligated to give you the exact amount of Cash you put into the car. Rebates were not cash. Hope this helps some. :surprise:
  • Options
    I would be suspect of an invoice price. There are many pieces of paper that are referred to as an invoice. I believe that the dealer's have about 25% to play with. Good luck with your Aspen. I had a 2004 Durango - 5.7 Hemi - that I loved. Chrysler offered a five month early lease forgiveness so I opted to buy my Pacfica, thinking that it might be the last car I would ever buy. My Pacifica has only 5000 miles in a little over a year because it is simply unpleasant to drive. Chrysler seems to feel that is normal.
  • Options
    The attorney from Chrysler complained that I was not giving the dealers a fair chance since my car had been to three different dealers for five visits. The last two visits were at the selling dealer. I did not take the car back to them originally because they are 45 minutes away. I thought that it was agreed at my arbitration that they would be given another chance. The attorney chose a different dealer, however, but they went out of business before she had a chance to get the car to them. She then chose a different dealer and the car is there now. I still (Thursday AM) do not have the rental (loaner) that they agreed to. I was supposed to have it by 12:30 on Tuesday. The attorney should have followed up.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help!

What I am wondering, the sticker price of the pac was 37,025. I still owe 31,630 dollars. If the give me the sticker of 37,025, I can pay off the pac and still have almost 6000 to put towards the aspen. Also until 4/30/08 there is the 3000 cash allowance on the aspen which I am wondering if I can still get. That would help ALOT on the purchase of the aspen. I tried to find info on this on the new york state website, but could not get a clear answer.

Did anyone here go through the buyback and did you buy a new chrysler and get any kind of rebate?
  • Options
    Actually, I have not had a TC replacement; just the re-flashes-about 5 of them so far. My only real issue is the severe clunk I get going into reverse, or from drive to reverse and reverse to drive. If it keeps on clunking, I am afraid that it will indeed break more motor mounts. I am intentionally waiting several seconds between shifting into reverse so see if it makes any difference. It does not-still clunks. When shifting from park intor reverse, sometimes the whole front end shakes! The rough shifts are only from second gear to third. Do you still think I should call Chrysler? Or maybe the dealer again? Is it worth dropping the trans to fix the clunk? I am just afraid that if they drop the trans, something else may go wrong as a result, and right now, the car seems to have finally leveled out for me, save for the clunking. Thank God for a bumper-to-bumper warranty!
  • Options
    This is how our buy took place, and how I was told sop.Take the MSRP on the PAC and any additional dealer installed things. (not the price you paid, but sticker retail price). Now find the MSRP on the Aspen, subtract the Aspen's MSRP form the PAC's MSRP. Then subtract the mileage charge that they say you have for driving the PAC. Now you have the price of the Aspen. You do NOT get any rebates, or cash back of any kind. Here is how our buy back went on our 2005 Jeep Libert Diesel.
    $28,765. MSRP on Liberty
    361. dealer insatlled items
    $29,126. Total price credit for Liberty
    29,000 @ $. 05 cents a mile 1,450. mileage
    actual buy back credit $ 27,676.
    actual pay off to bank. $ 27,659. $17. we lost.

$24.500 MSRP for 2007Jeep Compass
    $24,000. financed at same bank.

In our case we broke even, and Chrysler transfered our Chrysler Service contract over to the Compass, and started it over brand new. In our case things worked out real fair. But if you had a negative balance drom a trade in on the buy back vehicle you could be in negative, and have to finance or pay to make the buy back. Our mileage at $ .05 was ver low and can be as high as $ .50 a mile, so there is an additional thing that can bog down for you.
    There is never a buy back that gives you anything but MSRP for your vehicle and Chrysler sells you the new vehicle at MSRP. Chrysler assumes you got a cash back or some special deal, and nobody pays MSRP unless they just got off the Cabbage truck that day they bought the vehicle.

Let me know how it works for you.

farout
  • Options
    The tax thing depends on the state. Our state takes what you got for your trade in and takes it away from the new vehicle price, and that's the amount of sales tax you pay. I have little idea what it would be in other states.

farout
  • Options
    trombonetrombone Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone-

Now wishing i would have seen some of these posts last week before i bought my new pac. a used 2007 with 29000 miles that i got for $14000 (a good deal i thought). The first day it started shuttering in the rear and now needs a new torque converter. I saw a few posts about this but anyone that got one replaced, did it fix the problem?? Also is this a precursor to my complete transmission going out??? Its still under chrysler warrenty and thankfullly i extended warrenty to 100,000 miles cause I dont want to get rid of it. Thanks
  • Options
    waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I had mine replaced about 1500 miles ago. It has been great. In fact, the car has been othwerwise perfect after 7,000 miles. The dealer gave me ZERO problems....never even test drove the car.....just replaced it. Provided a loaner and gave it back on time.
  • Options
    Again we are talking apples and oranges here. Yours was not a buy back. With a buy back you get every single cent, looney, paso, mark or what ever kind of cash you had in the car back, If your state doesn't give the sales tax back you get that from the manufacture of the automobile. That my friend the buy back.
    You can choose to represent yourself in this if you want but it all goes back to the old saying. "If you chose to represent yourself as a client, you only have a fool as a client".