Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    My car is over and done with. Perhaps the worst example of dealer customer relations was when I arranged with the salesman to drive there on a Saturday - about a 45 minute drive - so that someone could just go for a ride in my car with me. He told me that he would arrange it with service for 10:00 AM. I arrived on time and was told by the service writer, "We don't have time for that." I didn't blow up, but I certainly should have.
    I havefound that the way chrysler dealers become 5 star dealers is to send out comment cards to only the customers who they know will send back a favorable report. Some years back a service writer said that he knew that the service was terrible on my RAM 1500 but he literally begged me so send in a favorable report.
  • d08d08 Member Posts: 16
    Hey, thanks for getting back with me. Yes, I did get the lifetime warranty and the dealer is supposed to be a five star dealer. I don't think that they will give me much problems and I certainly don't want them to think that I am just complaining about my car when I have to keep taking it back to them. Should I ask for them to buy back my car?? I just would love another car , maybe a good one that I don't have these kind of problems with. When I first got my car I just loved it until the problems started happening and thats when I found this site that everyone else was having some of the same problems. I'm all about giving someone a chance to fix the problems, but I really think that this car has serious issues. It not only has transmission problems, but when I crank up my car it sounds like something is loose and also driving stop and go, Like a loose valve or something and also it runs rough sometimes when I am idiling, like it has water in the gas??? And the other day when it was running rough I heard the motor ticking and I stopped and checked my oil and it was fine full. Is that ticking normal??? That is one thing that I know how to check because of my older cars that I use to own, I always would keep a check on them. I am a woman by the way, I just don't know about it. I am so depressed about this..
    Thanks
  • jamberryjamberry Member Posts: 2
    Hi I read your post because we have a 2007 PAC . It's been to the dealers 3x for transmission problems. They did the re- flash. Then I found this forum on Edmunds. Gave it to Manager. They replaced TC . The shutter seems to be gone happened once since being fixed, BUT still have hard shifting and cranking noise when turning,(just not all the time) I read you post and it said Chrysler had it posted on their website about problem.WHERE? I couldn't find it and we are bringing car back to dealer this WED . Could you please post more specific info. It would be greatly Appreciated!!! Thanks.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    allpar.com/ and chryslerforum.com/ both have a link to "tsb" which is a service bulliten. You will most likely have to sign in. These are super great web sites. But your dealer has these tsb's in their Chrysler service computer web site. That's not a good reason to make you prove your point.
    Our 07 PAC has almost 23,000 miles on it. Every once and a while we get a jerky shift from 1st to 2nd, or when we stop and go rather quickly. Our dealers Service Manager said he would reflash it, and that shour resolve it. We have been blessed by having a great dealer, LLoyd Belt Chrysler, Dodge Jeep, in Eldon, Missouri.
    No matter how good the vehicle, without qualified tech's who know their stuff the vehicle is no better than those who maintain it. Hope this helps. Is your PAC an AWD? We have been amazed at the power and the good fuel mileage.

farout
  • jamberryjamberry Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Our Pac is FWD. We have 24,000 on it. What is your gas milegage? The best we have gotten is 24.9 @ 65-68 mph. This is with the replaced TC.Is that good? Stats say 24 mgp......I've read other posts with higher? We get the same hard down shifts at low rpm. This website has been our blessing with this headache.
    We get consistently above 20. mpg, even when I sit in the car with the air-conditioning going as my wife shops. That includes stop and go and spending up to 1 hour with air con. running. When driving around local traffic we get 22 to 24 mpg. On a longer drive of 200+ miles we have gotten as high as 28, but typical is closer to 25,3 to 26 mpg. We have aprox 23,000 miles on ours, it it a AWD Touring which I would think would get less mpg than the FWD Touring or Limited. Often we drive at 65 mph in a 70 mph speed limit. We drive conservativly, and try to drive carefully. We do pull off to let faster traffic by on two lane roads. We do the speed limit on two lane roads. We try not to be poken-alongers.
    I can't say if you should ask for a buy back, only you and perhaps your Service Manager can help with that choice. However these clunks and odd noises need to be taken care of and the dealership should be able to find the problem and correct it.
    With the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that can be a long time, we expect this just might be our last vehicle as we are retired, and vehicles have been a big ex pence all our life, so maybe this will be what we need now. I do think the warranty is protection that no other vehicle company is even close to, and should deliver many years of service.
    Take some time to think this over and get someone's advice who is knowledgeable about the PAC even a tec. at the dealer can be of a great help. Sorry I can not tell you much more. Hope this helps.

farout
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    My transmission is flawless in up and down shifing. It is just as smooth as my 2008 Acura RL.
  • bulldozerbulldozer Member Posts: 31
    Well, all I can say is I'm about ready to scream. It's been a while since my last post. The last time I posted, I had just had the latest re-flash done on my 07 PAC, and all seemed well. But then the rough shifts and slamming into gear from park to reverse or drive came back with a vengeance. Once again, back to the dealer. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I kindly explained that this was simply unacceptable. The next phone call I received was letting me know they were replacing the torque converter! After they had kept it 2 1/2 days already. 7 days after that, I finally get it back. Less than 2 days later, I got a horrible whine in all gears, and a loud rattle in park. Yup, back to the dealer! This time, it turned out to be a bent and loose heat shield and defective starter (? ? ?). OK? Now I have it back again, and there is a "roar" noise similar to a bad wheel bearing from under the hood present after 45 mph and continuing all the way up past that. I'm thinking, what next? The dealer knows my problems, their service department knows my problems, and I'm being told to bring it back again. Yeah, OK. Fact is, I'm still making payments every month while it is in their shop for at least 1/2 of every month since I purchased it. No bumper to bumper extended warranty is going to repay me for my time away from work for service department visits and having an unreliable car to make payments on. Those of you with NEW PACS are blessed with a buy back or arbitration option through Chrysler. I purchased mine used with 11,500 miles. It only has 16,000 on it now. What can I do but keep on dealing with issue after issue after issue! Like I can trade out now? And take a beating on trade in value? At least my warranty is trasferable! But why should I have to? It shouldn't be like this! Chrysler is not going to buy back my PAC, and neither is my dealer. The whole situation SUCKS! I have been nice, kind, kept my cool, been pleasant, forgiving, haven't complained about the time/inconvenience, stuck with recommendations, etc, etc. But when is enough going to be enough? I STILL fail to see how my wife's identical 07 PAC has had -0- problems, and I've had too many already to count. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THIS? I think this last issue has my patience pushed to the limit. It's not the dealer's fault; they just sold the thing to me. It's not the service department's fault; all's they can do is fix the darn thing each time it breaks (and only do what the Chrysler warranty department tells them to do). So who next? I've called Chrysler...anyone get any higher the customer relations? I need someone there to put into my shoes and see how they would like it! :sick: And NO! Hiring an attorney to sue Chrysler or the dealer is not and never will be a viable solution for me - I just want the car to be AS IT SHOULD or one like it to be AS IT SHOULD without costing ME a ton of money!!!
  • juleszeejuleszee Member Posts: 16
    Im in the same boat as most of everyone on here.
    Ive been to the shop so many times, they know my voice on the phone and when I come in they call me by name.
    Ours they say they cant duplicate anything. But I think it's a line of crap. They will not replace anything, do anything, just say they can't duplicate it and thats it. In fact they have heard it. But dont want to do anything. :sick:
    Transmission is still shifting hard, falling out of gear.
    Front end makes noise, I get a whoomping sound when turning corner's.
    Can't drive it in the rain or through a car wash and expect it to start when I turn it off.
    Runs rough in rain
    Molding on the top is falling off.
    I loose traction on hills and going up on ramps.
    Have to keep replacing the engine mounts, Roters had to be rotated already, brake's squeek.
    Its just a lemon.. augh!! :lemon:
    One good thing... The radio works!! LOL

Chrysler 1-800 number is a joke, I believe that the district manager is just screwing around so we will make it to the year mark and they dont have to do much about it being a lemon.
    So, I called the District Attorney and filed the Lemon law, now the chrysler shop will not take my Pac in for repairs. Since we dont have arbration in my state that was the only way to go. I feel lost like no one is willing to help. I want to trade this off to get rid of the headache, but they wouldnt give me anything for it. 13,000 for this 07 with 11,000 miles on it. Talk about getting screwed!
    Im waiting to hear what the District Attorney says.. :sick:
    YIKES!! I would be happy if I could just swap equity on a similarly priced vehicle. What dealer would ever do that? The salesman I purchase my PAC from said to bring mine back in again and leave it with their service department until everything is corrected. That would be great, only what else might break later on? Both service managers know me ALL to well. They are freindly and polite, but I know they are getting EXTREMELY tired of seeing my car over and over and over again. And I am quite tired of bringing it back! I am seriously considering trading it if I can find a dealer who will give me a decent figure on it. I can transfer my warranty to a different vehicle and drive on. But like you, I am sure I won't get what I owe. It just isn't right, and there's not much we can do about it except keep bringing them back for repairs. The only justice is that Chrysler will spend a small fortune in warranty work to keep our cars on the road! Anyway, I plan on calling the 1-800 number and just ask for someone in charge to see what he/she would do if they were me!
    By the way, I get the same "whoomping" sound when turning as well. Service department "can't duplicate condition". Happens every time I drive it. I wonder if they actually drive them at all ? ? ? :confuse: When I bring mine back next week, I am going to insist that someone rides with me and I will drive around as long as it takes to "duplicate condition" !!! :sick:
  • ginalaw27ginalaw27 Member Posts: 3
    when i had fill it up with gas just recently it started to shake and the malfuncion light had come on and it won't stop shakeing when the car is in park what is the problem with it i had fill up my tank with plus gas
    bulldozer, juleszee, and others:
    I can fully understand what you are goin through! We bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (desiel) and it was in the shop 25 times in 16 months and 28,000 miles. The Service manager and the Thec's got so sick and tired of working on the Jeep they called Chrysler and said they could not fix all the problems. Chrysler called us to see if we would consider a buy back! Now that's bad when the service department is that up set over a vehicle.
    If you bought the PAC used call the BBB that works very well, and is perhaps faster than the Lemon Law thing. I encourage all of you to document every time you talk or see someone about your problems. Many people trust their memory, and under pressure to quote someone they can't remember details that make your story rebiable.
    The buy back on our Jeep libert went super great. But we picked a Jeep Compas which was less that we expected and the quality was sub-par. We drove it 9,200 miles and we drove it 5 months and traded it on the PAC. We got hurt bad on trading it in! We will be paying for a big dead horse for 5 more years! The hit we took on the Compass was worth it as the PAC is by far the better value and the mpg is much better as well.
    I sure don't know about anyone elses finances, but for us it was a situstion where my wife and I hated the Jeep Compass, we the Compass after we got it. We made a bad choice, and we either lived with it or changed vehicles which hurt us.
    So weigh it our and I hope it works out for U all.

farout
  • drnagerdrnager Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and am struggling to figure out how to proceed in solving my problem with it.

The check engine light came on about a month ago. I took it to Midas and they read the computer (for $60+ bucks!) and said the computer reported a problem with the bank 1 sensor 1 oxygen sensor. Since the car was driving find and the quote seemed high to replace it, I left. A few weeks later the car started to exhibit a dangerous problem: if you hit the gas, the car would just idle without warning. The problem was intermittent. Thinking that the problem was related to the oxygen sensor, I took the car back to Midas and had them replace the oxygen sensor. They also convinced me to pay for a fuel system cleaning. When I left Midas, the check engine light was still on. Midas said it was probably due to the fuel system cleaning and would likely go away in a few days.

I therefore continued to drive the vehicle and occasionally it would exhibit the aforementioned problem of not moving when you hit the gas pedal. About a week ago I drove a few miles to a store and when I left the store to return home, I could leave the parking lot. The car would not do anything but idle when I hit the gas.

I had the car towed to Midas. Midas inspected the vehicle the next morning. They called me and told me that the check engine light was no longer on and the car was behaving normally. They said the computer only read out the previous oxygen sensor error message (same bank 1 sensor 1).

I had read about the 2005 Pacifica recall related to the Fuel Pump Module and Power Train Control Module (PCM) Software (NHTSA recall number: 06V432000) the evening before Midas inspected the car. Midas recommended that I go to a transmission company. I showed the Midas representative the recall notice and he said that it was unrelated. So I left Midas and drove to AutoZone where I heard they give free advice.

I drove the car to AutoZone. The check engine light was no longer on, but the representative read the computer and just saw a two part message, which he showed me. The first part said there was a problem with the oxygen sensor in bank 1 sensor 1. The second part said they same thing but had a pending attribute on the message. The representative said that was probably just there because Midas didn't clear the message. He asked me if I wanted him to clear it. I said yes and he did so. He said it was probably an electrical problem and to bring the car back to read it when the light comes back on.

The light came back on later that day (yesterday) and I took it back to AutoZone. The representative read the computer and it had the same two part message about the oxygen sensor. The representative said the pending attribute on the second part might suggest the problem isn't just limited to the oxygen sensor.

My theory is that the message is suggesting there is a problem with the fuel mixture due to a malfunctioning fuel pump and power train control module as specified in the recall. Chrysler said my VIN did not match the recall. However, I dropped the car off at the Chrysler dealer and told them my theory. They said they will charge me a $106 to look at the car and will refund me the money if it turns out the recall does apply. I'm now waiting to hear back from them.

If they say the recall doesn't apply, I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any guidance.

Regards,
    Damon
    So far you have made two mistakes that I can see. Take the car to someone who knows what he is doing. The dealer is where you should have gone once you knew it was an O2 sensor. Depending on your mileage, they are covered by the emissions warranty.
    Damon,
    If I am not mistaken, I believe that the Pacifica does NOT have an accelerator cable attached to a throttle body like older model cars do. I believe it is an electronic throttle device, either wired or wireless depending on the vehicle. If it were me, I would check in that area. You may be looking at a sensor problem. Like I say, I am not 100% sure, but thats where I would be looking. I have an 07 Pacifica with the 4.0 liter engine, and my car has no accelerator cable. Hope this helps. Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Thank you for the replies rhollis and bulldozer.

Rhollis, I hear you. I originally emailed and called my Chrysler dealer for a quote for the o2 sensor replacement. They never provided me with a quote. Are you suggesting that Midas may not have replaced the o2 sensor effectively? If so, do you believe it is possible that the dangerous problem I am experiencing could be caused by a faulty oxygen sensor?

Bulldozer, I don't know how to determine whether my Pacifica has an accelerator cable or an electronic throttle device. The car is currently at the dealership. The recall I am worried about says the following:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FUEL PUMP MODULE AND THE POWER TRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) SOFTWARE MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO STALL UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS.

Consequence:
    THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH TO OCCUR WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.

Does this seem to potentially match my symptoms or does the o2 sensor message better match them?

Thanks! --Damon
    Damon: Taking your car to Autozone and Midas were huge mistakes. These outfits hire inexperienced, and generally trades men that don't have what it takes to work at a dealership. (not even a closed down Yugo shop) The parts these places use are usually a cheap imitation or poorly made parts from some place in a country you never heard of before. These parts don't last and may actually damage your engine.
    With a few exceptions the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership can find the problem, and fix it properly with less cost and hassle than most places. The o2 sensor is usually replaced in pairs, top and bottom. Unless the correct one is replaced right and cleared form the computer the problem still continues. Often when just one sensor is replaced the other one will go out real soon too. (voice of experience on our 96 Dodge neon)
    Many years ago I use to take my cars to these places thinking I was saving money. I was young and trying to save time and money. It wound up costing me a lot more time and money too. I am older and I hope smarter.
    Here is one example, Oil Changes at Walmart for our PAC is $29.98 with their cheap oil. My dealer sends me coupons and an oil change is $21.95. I also get Mopar oil filters, and Mobil 10w 30w which is what the owners manual calls for. The car gets washed and inside is cleaned too, for $8.00 less. Jiffy Lube is $32. for the oil change, no brake there either. See what I mean.
    By going to the dealership you find right up front if there is a recall or some other needed thing. The dealer is the one with the best communication from the factory for recalls and computer updates on their equipment that finds your problems.
    I sure hope this helps, as you have been drug into muddy waters by these so-called automotive shops. And no I do not own Chrysler stock, but I have bought 17 Chrysler made vehicles and been very pleased with the service and the care our vehicles have gotten.

farout
    Thanks for the response, farout.

I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical of all the Chrysler dealership recommendations. I like competition in markets and the idea that only Chrysler dealerships have access to the means of proper diagnosis concerns me. That said, I feel like I'm forced to go to the Chrysler dealership after the latest turn in events.

I paid the dealership $95 for their diagnosis that the bank 1, sensor 1 o2 sensor needed to be replaced, something I was already told by Midas and AutoZone. I was a bit frustrated by this. I felt I got something for my money when the dealership gave me a dealerconnect technical bulletin that said the 05 PAC o2 sensor needs to be replaced by an 04 PAC part. The issue was discovered in 2005, which makes me suspicious of quality.

I took the bulletin with the recommendation back to Midas and asked them to replace the o2 sensor with an 04 PAC Chrysler part. I left them a copy of the recommendation. They followed it and during testing after replacing the part with the part from the dealership, the check engine light appeared again stating a problem with the bank 1, sensor 1 o2 sensor.

I'm now planning to head back to the Chrysler dealership. I hear your comments about the quality of Midas technicians. However, I'm very reluctant to pay the Chrysler dealership to replace the o2 sensor a third time. I'm very suspicious of the computer in this 05 PAC. I wish I could find out if any of the 127K 05 Pacificas that were recalled had symptoms related to the o2 sensor. I wish I didn't have to trust the dealership, but I feel like I'm backed into a corner.

Regards,
    Damon
    The dealership did determine that there is a problem with the PCM. Problem now is that there is no ETA for the replacement.

So I've paid Midas for a o2 sensor I didn't need and have no idea when I'll get the replacement part I need.

:(
    drnager: I expect the dealer may have your PCM or know when it will arrive by now. If you feel that AutoZone or Midas gives you better service than the Chrysler dealer than it would be best to stick to one place for general repair. But for techincal service I would advise you to stick to the dealership for that. Howerver I would reconsider these other two outfits. Call the BBC and see if either of these two other places have a record of problems and if they resolved them.
    I do not know what you paid for your PAC, but new our PAC was more than I earn in a year. In fact it's the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. I want to protect our investment and for me the Dealership is the only one I trust, but that's just my opinion. Be well.

farout
    Looks as though you received "The Midas Touch".
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Yo....nothing is more frustrating then a drivability problem.

I speak from experience. This is my advice:

1 - O2 sensors and modern car tuning is one of the most mis-understood areas of a modern car. If an O2 sensor is bad, especially the first bank, the car can run like total crap. O2 sensors send a voltage signal from .1 to 1.0 volts to the ecm which tells the computer if the car is running rich or lean. They are narrow-band senors, so they don't record a true air fuel ratio, but rather give the computer a "rich" or "lean" signal. The car then "learns" and adapts as you drive as the fuel injector are pulsed based on this signal. The sensors are used only to fine tune the a/f as the ECM has a built-in fuel table.

2 - ONLY use OEM O2 sensors and get them from the dealer. The quality of "off" brand or non-original sensors are not very good. Just ask any dyno-tuner. You won't find them anywhere but the delear.

3 - The PAC's are equipped with a drive by wire system. They don't use a throttle cable. This may be where your problem lies. Although, the car may not like the O2 sensor signal, so it could be preventing you from driving it to prevent damage to the motor. I can't say for sure, as I don't know the car well enough.

4 - You need someone who is good with tuning or diagnostics. You won't find this at Midas, Sears, Wallmart etc.... You either need to go to a dealer OR find a good local guy who owns his own shop with a good reputation for solving problems. The car needs to be road-tested or put on a dyno with a data-logger to find the problem. Only then will the tuner be able to read the O2 signal and will be able to see what is going on. Going to Auto-Zone or Midas only get's you in the ball-park as far as codes are concerned.

5 - If you are on a tight-budget, make sure they know that. There is nothing wrong with that. Most shops will work with folks and cut them breaks....not usually dealers though, but it is still worth a try.

6 - Any shop that sells fuel system cleaning services should not be trusted. IMO, no reputable shop or mechanic would sell those services. They are a scam.
  • faschulzfaschulz Member Posts: 52
    Hi farout finally I took some time and take my PAC to the dealer again this time to the one y bought from my car this is the 7th time they will try to fix it, and they are changing the converter for second time in one year plus engine mounts etc..... I told the service advisor that will be the last time or want chrysler to buy back my car, I want to change it for an 08 PAC that seems to work just fine.
    today my car is ready... I'll let you know.
    I beg to differ. We have been using a MotorVac machine for years. This is done only after everything else has been checked. It makes a noticeable difference.
    Well, I'm back! At this point, I wish I could just get a replacement for my 07 PAC. After the torque converter replacement, I am still stuck with a whinning noise coming from the front at 50 MPH and above. I recently drove the car to Florida for a family vacation hoping that putting a few miles on it might help this situation. Wrong. The noise gets worse at freeway speeds, and the constant battle to correct the steering wheel constantly to the left practically had my wrists worn out! It is as if the only wheel that is pulling the car is the right front. The more gas you give it, the worse the pull. The most amazing amount of torque steer I have ever witnessed. And my wife's identical 07 PAC? Absolutely NO problems - No whining noise, No torque steer - NOTHING. Before my vacation, I practically begged my selling dealer to fix the problem. They had their "chief" service manager from another dealership they owned come and ride with me - a REAL scholar. He tried to tell me that as cars get older, parts on the front "move" causing wind noises that were not there before to be noticed.Anyone else out there fall off the turnip truck yesterday? At any rate, they kept the car a week, did not log a service ticket at all, never drove it from where I parked it - NOTHING. I even left 2 messages for the salesman that sold it to me, and HE never even returned my calls either. I am so fed up that I am just unsure what the next step should be. And a simple fact is that I will NEVER step foot in the selling dealership agian for ANY reason. I plan to call Chrysler and see what they might say, but the outlook is grim. Since when is getting an attorney involved ever been a positive solution? I won't even be able to afford that! This may be the last Chrysler product I ever own - a shame to hear from a person who's father had a Chrysler franchise for over 20 years! Keep you all posted. :mad:
    Sad! I would suggest that you contact the National Center for Dispute Settlement. The address should be in the back of your owner's manual. Make sure that you have every piece of paper as they will want to see it. This is the start of the arbitration process. It took me three times, but Chrysler finally bought back my car. I had to hire an attorney to get all of my money, but it was worth it. During the entire process, Chrysler never suggested that they simply replace the car. This would have been an acceptable option. Instead, they acted as though I was some sort ofdope who knew nothing about automobiles and the way they should function. I have been in the auto repair business for over 40 years, and since I am still in it, and since I have a good following, it is safe to assume that I must know something.
    Only one question-does the arbitration process include cars that were purchased used? I purchased mine as a "program" vehicle with 11,500 miles on it. I'm afraid that option doesn't apply to me. We will see what Chrysler has to say first, and if that gets me nowhere, then maybe I should contact my attorney. I'm tired of giving everyone else the benefit of the doubt. I too have been exposed to the auto industry since I was old enough to talk, and I know when I've been handed a load of bull. No one seems to care, but they aren't the ones making the payments either. I'm sure if they owned the car, they wouldn't want to put up with what we are going through either, wouldn't you think? All I was asking for was what was fair and just - I'm not out to go overboard here. Just give me what I'm paying for and I will be pleased. But now I have been ignored, and that just isn't right.
    I am afraid that it doesn't, but it might not hurt to give them a call. I believe that a "program" vehicle is one that has been used by Chrysler, so maybe they can help. I feel sorry for the person who buys my old car at an auction - no warranty on a car with 5500 miles and it is pretty unpleasant to drive.
    It might not hurt to haave an independent certified mechanic drive the car and make a report. This worked for me - one was at my expense and the other, who drove the car before and after attempted repairs, was on someone elses nickel.
    You know, I was looking at all used Pacificas within 150 miles of my zip code on cars.com. I found one at a dealer in NC with only 5600 miles on it. It was a 2007, was a burnt orange color, Cognac it is called, and had 19" factory rims on it. I actually called them to inquire about trading mine for it. That one would not have been your old one, would it? Just curious.
    My car was Inferno Red. It went to Ganley Dodge in Cleveland. I was assurred that it would be auctioned, but that does not mean that a dealer did not buy it. The 5600 miles certainly fits, but it had 17" wheels. Whomever gets my old car gets no warranty from Chrysler, although having one didn't do me a whole lot of good.
  • d08d08 Member Posts: 16
    I'm so sorry to hear about your car, but I know how you feel. Mine has give me a lot of problems since I bought it and I have taken to the dealer on several times and they still don't know what in the world is wrong with it. I can say one thing that the dealership has been extra nice and tries their best to help me. I think that the 07 models have bad parts in them and the parts they are replacing with are bad also. So it is a never endig story. I wonder if the parts are coming "China"!!!! By the way my car only has 8000 miles on it now, the tc has already been replaced and now they are odering motor mounts and some other stuff for it. We will see.
    What really bothered me at various dealers was that the standard answer was "problem not experienced". I offered to drive the car with a so called technician but they never took me up on my offer. I even went so far as to drive 45 minutes to the selling dealer on a Saturday as arranged by my salesman only to be told that, "we don't have time for that". Why not just poke a pencil in my eye? I am not so certain that it is Chrysler, but rather bad techs who are too lazy to try to find the problem.
    Today, I plan to call the selling dealership and talk to the owner or president. I simply can't let this situation go without calling his attention to it. The lack of respect for me and my concerns has finally caused my blood to boil, and I feel that he should be made aware of it. He may not even care, but he will hear from me before I call Chrysler and talk with them. If I were to treat a customer at my business the way I have been treated, then I would expect to lose future business as the negative word spreads, simple as that. I hate to have to involve an attorney, but the situation may dictate the need to.
    my PAC got the second torque converter one month ago they did all re flashing and the car returned to bad again after few hundred of miles , I went back to the dealer and this time the service manager and the mechanic went for a ride with me
    they felt the problem and again left the car, I called Chrysler to let them know my car was in the shop for tenth time and the reason because I did not want to do a lemon law was because I liked very much the car but that it will be the last time that they will have to fix it or I want a new car, they seemed very nice and receptive they gave me a claim number and asked for the miles of the car.
    After that I received a call from the service manager and let me know that they were doing the best they can and were with the Chrysler technicians fixing my car
    they gave me my car back and again at the beginning it felt very smooth but after few days is coming back to do bad , I'm not sure if I want that car that has been torn apart few times, today I'm driving some other cars and call Chrysler if they don't want to change my car I'll get a attorney any way they will have to pay for it.
    I'll keep posted
    Being mice and receptive and repairing the vehicle are two different things. It is like dealing with many companies whose employees apologize over and over again for your inconvenience but they don't have a plan to do anything about it. They are programmed to apologize thinking that by doing so they will make you go away.

In March, perhaps, I went to a local Chrysler dealer to wee about buying a 2008 T&C once my Pacifica issue was resolved. The salesman knew that I was coming, but he then had to waste my time while he swept the snow off the demo so that I could take it for a drive. We went through all of thedetails, I told him what equipment I wanted, etc., and he then fiddled around trying to come up with a price. I had an appontment to get to so I asked him to either call me with the price (he had 3 phonenumbers for me) or E-mail it to me. I am still waiting. I really feel that the problem is at the local level.
    After Chrysler bought your PAC back what did you get to replace it. Were you satisfied with the buy back and how much you got the replacement for?

With all of the vehicle mfg's hurting, and they are all but selling below factory cost this might not be a bad time to buy if a person can pay cash, as credit for cars is not what it used to be a year or so ago.

farout
    The buy back process was a bit tedious as the dealer slipped in $2,700 negative equity on a paper that I originally signed, after I signed it, but I never saw that paper again until they sent it to NCDS by mistake, I believe. I did get all of my money back. When I was looking at replacement vehicles, I looked at '08 T&C's but I felt that all of the dealers around Cleveland wanted at least $3,000 too much. I bought a used (2006) T&C with everything I wanted, and I like the body style better. During this whole process I went from four cars down to two, the T&C and a Sebring Convertible that I bought from a customer. I still have a 1979 Plymouth Trailduster that has never been licensed and is not road worthy due to rust, broken brake lines, and frame deterioration - just a plow truck around my business. The odometer shows 1579 miles since the vehicle has gone backwards almost as much as it has gone forward.
    They make an attempt to repair my car again at the beginning the car felt better but after few hundred of miles is start to do the same, shuddering between 40-50 miles per hour and 60-70 Mph always under 2000 Rpm, also when you start from 0 to 10 and then brake to complete stop the first gear comes back like 3 or 4 seconds after the car has stopped like something hit you from behind, I called Chrysler again and told them that I don't want that car any more this car has been put apart so many timesthey have changed several things and I feel not comfortable with that, every time I see missing screws or tie the cables properly, last time they broke the inner boot from the axle when they disasamble the transmission and they replaced it with a re manufactured one,for me is not acceptable any more .
    Chrysler called me and let me know that I have to drop the car Dec 1st at 8.30 am
    because the technician is comming, I don't know if to try to fix it or just to replace it
    I was seeing a 2008 Pac I drove it and seems to drive better i tried to make it to do the fault but was fine, do you think that it would be good idea to change it for one I can get one signature series with all the options for $25,000 with 0 miles seems good price I paid for mine $32,000 and has not nav or back up camera
    but I don't know because is a car that is not comming for 2009.
    your advice is welcome.
    faschulz: The last Pacifica rolled off the assembly line on Dec. 12. 2007. That was the last of the 2008 PAC's and the PAC is perhaps the best vehicle Chrysler ever made. At least thats my opinion. Any "new PAC' sold today would or should be marked down big time. In Sept 2008 the national sales for all PAC's sold was less than 600. The last stats I saw said there was a 90 day supply of PAC's in the US.
    I fully expect to see 2008 vehicles of all brands still being sold new in June 2009. This car business is in the worst condition you can inagine.
    We initally has the shudder problem but with the TC replacement and two reflashes it was gone. We are very pleased with out PAC and the excellent mpg!
    Hope this helps.

farout
    thanks for your response, I think the same about the Pac but I had two town & country before and they were so great never have any problems I sold them because they had 130,000 miles and was afraid of some major repair, I hope at the time I can finish with this there are some Pacs left so I can get another hopefully with no problems, I have not seen any in this forum complaning about 08 Pac.
    I'll keep in touch.
  • dane777dane777 Member Posts: 2
    2007 Pacific shifts so quickly it's in overdrive by 25 mph. Anyone been told this is normal. Anyone expericencing this?
    I am glad to see some action on this forum, welcome! You don't say if you have the 4. L 6 Speed or the 3.8 L with the 4 speed. Either way it seems rather odd. What is your rpm at 25 mph?

If you have the 4. L and 6 speed, There has to be amistake some place. Here is why. At 55 mpg and in 6th gear most of us are about 1600 rpm. So just as a rough guess you would be about 700 rpm. Heck that's less than the 800 the engine is runing in netural while parked. Now if you have the 3.8 L and the 4 speed which is in the Pacifica 5 seat 2 rows FWD than that is the engine and trans you have. I doubt very much that at 25 mph your in 4th lock up. If you are you need to get to the dealer and have them check it out as that just seems like it can't be.

How do you like your PAC? We have a 2007 PAC. Touring AWD and this is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned in 48 years of driving! There is just one thing we don't like! It's not paid for yet.....lol.

Please let me know what engine an trans. you have ok?

farout
    I was told repeatedly by three different dealers (five visits) that all of the abnormal behavior that I was experiencing with my 2007 Pacifica Touring was completely normal. Two independent inspectors (one drove the car before and after repairs were attempted) stated emphatically that the behavior was not normal. I no longer own the car. Chrysler bought it back and they claimed that it was going to auction. I feel sorry for the person who feels that he is getting a good deal on a carwith only 5500 miles on it in a little over a year.
  • gthosgthos Member Posts: 15
    How did that work with the "buy back" and in what state was that? Did they just give you your money back less mileage costs, or did you have to choose another Chrysler product to buy? I think I may be getting close to pressing that kind of matter, but don't really understand the process. I've been to two different dealers with my various problems and just when I thought the second one actually cared about providing a service, I can't get them to call me back to discuss another visit. I guess I need to just stop by and plant myself in the service managers office. Let me know about the buy-back process, please. Thank you.

Jacksonville, FL
    Well, I called Chrysler...again... My 07 PAC is in the shop...arain!! 2nd time calling Chrysler, and this time I took it to a different dealership than before. The service manager there seems to be a good bit more knowledgable about the problems I am experiencing which is encouraging. I am still getting the hard pull to the right under acceleration and a rough shift problem. I have paid for two seperate front-end alignmentst myself at two different service shops and they both tell me I am chasing a ghost. Front end is in perfect alignment! Got the print-out from the alignment machine to prove it! Other than that, I really like the PAC and would keep it and drive it until the darn wheels fell off (natural causes, of course). But I just can't keep fighting the steering wheel all the time, especially on long road trips. This will be the last ditch effort on my part. If I get it back and still experience the same problems yet again, I will have no other choice but to either request help from Chrysler getting out of the PAC, or go lemon law. I HATE to have to do it, but it just isn't right to accept things the way they are. I didn't intentionally purchase a constant headache, nor should I be told that the problems are all "normal" behavior for the PAC, let alone any other vehicle. Oh, by the way. My wife's 07 PAC still continues to perform flawlessly (knock-on-wood). Her PAC has been awesome since the day we got it. I won't get rid of it any time soon if it keeps up the great service record! How can two cars, identical in most respects, be so dog-gone different when it comes to road feel, performance, and servicability? I just don't get it. Maybe mine was built on a Monday morning after a weekend of partying and hers was built on a Friday afternoon when everyone was in a happy mood getting ready to do the partying!
  • dane777dane777 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding. It's a 4. L. FWD. I took it to the shop and they reprogrammed the powertrain module. No difference. Next time they replaced the range sensor and a valve cover. Same problem.

Here's what it does in more detail: From a dead stop to 25 mph it will shift 4 times, the fourth feeling like overdrive but I guess it's acutally 5th gear? The shifting is not necessarily rough but I've never had a car where the shifting has been so obvoius and even distracting.

Fortunately, if don't have the shuddering/torque converter problem. Happened to see a show last night showing a transmission assembly (so now I'm an expert : )but have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express). Wonder how many other components govern WHEN the car shifts in relation to speed and torque.
  • ksearcyksearcy Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2007 pac touring, 4L, 6sp. The vehicle has had the tourque converter
    replaced once. It has been flashed 3 times, had a strut replaced and a motor mount
    replaced. It drives considerably better than it did except for rough shifts and a very
    low frequency rumble occasionally. All of the work was done at 10,000 miles. My car
    shifts gears very quickly and I am in 5th gear before I get to 30mph. I mentioned this
    at two dealerships, and neither showed any interest. I have driven the car another
    5000 miles including a trip in the Rocky Mountains. I intend to keep driving until
    something major happens. I bought the extended max warranty on this vehicle, so
    when and if it truly is junk as I suspect, they'll be fixing it for many years to come.
    Thanks for the opportunity to vent, have a nice day
    I took my PAC again to the shop but this time the guys from chrysler told me to drop the car by 8 Am that the regional will be there, o.k I was there at 8 Am and he did not show that day I wanted to be there to go for the test drive with them because I did not want to heard we could "not duplicate the problem" after two days the guy finally got there and told me that he could not find nothing wrong but he order to change engine mounts (second set in one year) insulators? and quick learn for the transmission and said it shifts much better, but it still the same of course you feel it less but still there, also the front right noise was not duplicated and it bother me a lot is not very loud but is there.
    they told me that they will contact me to give me a proposal but it has been one week and nothing happened
    I wish you all the best. I believe that I wrote a total of ;five (5) letters to various people at Chrysler and the only response that I ever received was a phone call from an unidentified woman after I wrote to the vice president of North American sales telling me that they intended to do nothing because I had filed for arbitration.

Is it any wonder that the Big 3 are in trouble. Thirty years ago I was at a party in Detroit and I was tallking to a just retired GM executive. He made it extremely clear that GM was in serious trouble and if they did not change their management and their flawed management policies they would get in deeper and deeper. Well!

Years ago I had a problem with a Ford Ranger. After three trips to the dealer and a phone call from my attorney, I received a refund. That sure isn't the way that it works now.
    faschultz: I hope this brings some encouragement to you, at least that's my intention.

Chrysler moves what seems slow to us, but the Zone Rep has certian ways that Chrysler LLC. requires. Be patient. Nothing screws up people more than getting angery or making demands that puts the Zone Rep in a box. I personally have had a 1006 Dodge Caravan and a 2005 Jeep Liberty CDR (diesel) bought back by Chrysler, so I know what I am talking about.

Here is my opinion on what I would do If I were in your shoes. I would call your Service manager and tell him what it is you want. If you want the PAC fixed or bought back or just what it is you want/. Then ask the Service manager to call the Zone Rep what it is you want. Then call the General manager of the dealership and tell him that there hsa been some issues and the Zone Rep was going to get back to yoy and some how communication has either dropped or he is swamped with work, and ask for the G. M. to help you.

Make sure you have all your repairs and trips to the dealership documented so you have a accurate record, and can prove your issues. The records are vital for you to win your points!

Your attitude is everything! Keep your cool, do not let anger blow your case, that's what screws up more cases. Give positive praise for anyone who is helping you, say that you appreciate their help often. Remember there are stupid jerks that make threats all the time, and slam insults left and right at those who could be of help. Most of the time people are really suprised to find someone who is kind and just treating them as people just tike you. Kindness is priceless, praise is like a raise, especially if you let their boss know how helpful or thoughtful the worker was to you.

DO NOT GO TO ARBITRATION, OR THE LEMON LAW. These avenues are not in your favor, and you are on the defensive, but Chrysler then becomes the attacker. Chrysler has full time Attornies that deal with these kind of issues where they have to defend why you should get as little as possible...you never come out ahead.

Chrysler now has their 1800-992-1997 Customer Care line answered by people in INDIA! You can call that, but tell them you want to have someone who can help you with what you want, and demand you speak with someone in the USA. This too might take a day or two as well.

My Jeep Buy back started Feb. 16,2007 and was dome by April 4, 2007. It does take time.

I too have had the transmission shuddering problem. They have done a TC replacement and two reflashes after that. Mostly the shudder is gone, but in tempatures below 25 F. it does seem noticeable. My dealer is looking at it on Dec 30, 2008. So I too will see if a new reflash might do the trick.

Hope this encourages you and maybe helps you.

farout