Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Design: Love It or Not?

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Ford
What do you like or dislike about the FF/MM design?

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    When it comes to design, the American brands are getting the idea of what consumers are after. The front end and rear end of both the Fusion and Milan stand out in the crowd of Yawn, hum designs of the "class leaders". The design of the Fusion is bold, fresh and very classy. I have parked my Fusion side by side to an 07 Camry, and an 06 Accord. The Fusion has a more in your face design and makes the Camry/Accord look frumpy. Granted, this is my opinion.. ;)
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    When it comes to design, the American brands are getting the idea of what consumers are after. The front end and rear end of both the Fusion and Milan stand out in the crowd of Yawn, hum designs of the "class leaders". The design of the Fusion is bold, fresh and very classy. I have parked my Fusion side by side to an 07 Camry, and an 06 Accord. The Fusion has a more in your face design and makes the Camry/Accord look frumpy. Granted, this is my opinion..

Even though I don't own a Fusion or Milan, I do feel as though each of these vehicle's exterior styling is better than that of the current generation Accord, Altima, Camry, Malibu, Maxima, Sonata, etc. There is one change to the Fusion that I would make, and then it would be just right for me. That would be the tail lights. I don't care for the chrome backing when the tail light lenses are clear. The same issue exists for the Altima. Obviously these types of things are subjective. But other than this, I feel as though the Fusion and Milan both are great-looking mid-size sedans. I'd drive one and be proud of it.

Ron M.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Agree on tail lights and I would put the chrome grille in the same category.

I found some pictures of modfied fusions on-line, one had all red tail lights another had made the chrome part dark. Both looked better to me, I especially liked the dark outlined ones. Seems like that would go good with the black chrome grill that is coming.

For looks the Mazda6 cousin of the Fusion/Milan is better, imo.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    Just buy the S model, don't have to worry about the chrome on the back of the Fusion. I bought the S model, and love the monochrome look of it, with no chrome, except the grill.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    The Fusion has a more in your face design and makes the Camry/Accord look frumpy. Granted, this is my opinion.

It's an opinion that we share, Scape. The Asian cars have such plain Jane styling, except for the Nissan Altima which I just don't care for at all.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Toyota will be quick to remind you that America's favorite ice cream flavor is VANILLA!

I like Cookies and Cream myself.

Remmeber, Toyota is more of a marketing and manufacturering company that a "car company" in my mind. The Accord always had better performance numbers than the Camry. The Corolla doesn't even have an independant rear suspension!

Rarely is there new ground breaking tech in a Toyota (hybrid) notwithstanding. Toyota wants to make the best boring cars on the market.

Mark.
    Toyota wants to make the best boring cars on the market.

They have been very successful at what they do. That's for sure. And, because of their dedication to moderation, their cars age gracefully. I really can't tell a 2000 Toyota Camry from a 2007 one just by looking at it. That is probably a big positive, too.
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    I have always thought the Ford Fusion was an American attempt to copy (at least in body shape/style) to the Acura TL. I'll always maintain that the TL is head, shoulders and waist above the Fusion, but wondered if anyone else has had that same visual.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Nope. It's closer to a CTS than a TL IMO.
    Nope. It's closer to a CTS than a TL IMO.

+1 (I agree.)
    "I'll always maintain that the TL is head, shoulders and waist above the Fusion, but wondered if anyone else has had that same visual. "

You forgot to mention about $20,000 more too!... :surprise:

Take a look at the last Motor Trend and see how much quicker a TL automatic is than a v6 AUTO Fusion, there is a real surprise!
    IMHO, this car is only purchased by people that don't look at anything else.

Interior packageing is outdated, fit and finish is subpar for segment (don't believe then look closely at the ground effects kit, it looks like it was bolted on by a 17yo kid who never did it before.)

Ride Dynamics are also subpar for segment.

The TL falls flat on its face if you match it head to head to a Nissan Maxima, let alone a Infiniti G35. I won't bring up the Lincoln MKZ as that car really doesn't have sporty aspirations.

Mark.
    Not sure where you are seeing TL at all, they look nothing alike to me...except that both are 4 door sedans.

I can see the CTS comparison some are making in the angularity, verticality, and big buttedness.
    Notice that the 08 Accord is a total TL look alike.

Mark.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    "I'll always maintain that the TL is head, shoulders and waist above the Fusion, but wondered if anyone else has had that same visual. "

You forgot to mention about $20,000 more too!...

I didn't know Fusions could be had in the low teens! If what scape says is true, then Fusions must not be selling well at the price Ford is asking!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It seems to have more resemblance to the RL than the TL to me.
    OOps.. meant to say $10,000 price difference. The whole point here is that a Ford Fusion in its V6 automatic against many of the Acura line with automatics does VERY well in the 0-60 category. ;)
    WOW.

The 18 inch tires turn this in to a track car. Ok a really heavy track car but its still a huge difference from the 16 inch contis on the SE.

Also if you don't like the in your face chrome of the grill, standard on Fusion, the Sport Package has kind of a darker chrome. It looks very after market. Also the spoiler is unique from the optional $295 spoiler.

The wheels are great. The only down side is the red inserts in the leather seats. But it is in line with the mission of the car.

The suspenion didn't seem any harsher. I always thought that the standard set up was pretty good though. IMHO the weak link in Fusion handeling is those icky 16 inch Contis which are way to easy to push.

The Sport Package is great for people who want less bling and more sting.

Mark.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Fusion is OK I guess. Interior is pretty bland. Having seen the new Malibu though, I gotta wonder who's gonna buy a Fusion if they cross-shop them. The Malibu's interior alone is so much nicer. Mild hybrid available too. Ford is just falling further behind it seems to me.
    Assuming the malibu drives like the typical vague handling Chevy, this would be one reason for prefering a Fusion.
    Along with the stellar record the Fusion/Milan have for reliability! I feel the Fusion will sell for less $$ option for option when comparing the new Malibu. Nice to see Chevy starting to take the sedan market more seriously however. :shades:
    I love how much equipment you get STANDARD. Also Malibu will not have AWD and the mild hybrid hardly deserves consideration with its 24 city 30 hwy rating.

If you want a really great car, look at a Milan Premier FWD V6. If you don't add moonroof, upgraded radio, etc. You get a very well equipped car for around 23k. And you get SYNC!

Mark.
    The Fusion has a more in your face design and makes the Camry/Accord look frumpy. Granted, this is my opinion..

I share your opinion completely. Style and design were a big part of why we bought a 2007 SEL AWD Ford Fusion on Dec. 4, 2006.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Style and design were a big part of why we bought a 2007 SEL AWD Ford Fusion on Dec. 4, 2006.

I thought it was for the fuel economy..... :blush: :sick:

(just kidding! Don't go there!)
    I thought it was for the fuel economy.....

Allen,
    You've got a keen memory and a sharp sense of humor. Actually, I did something a body should never do: I believed our federal government (the EPA) when it stated the car would deliver 19 mpg in all-city driving. Since we bought the Fusion the EPA revised the mileage downward, to 17 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, which the car did during the first 1,500 miles of ownership.

For the first 2,500 miles the car would not do better than 13 mpg in all-city, stop-'n'-go driving but gradually improved to a constant 14.8 mpg. Now, with 5,000 miles on it the last tankful fill-up yielded 16.4 mpg for all-city driving.

What we should have bought was an I4 manual SEL instead of a V6 AWD. Hindsight is always 20-20. Still, with the exception of the city mileage, it has been -- and continues to be -- a very nice mid-size automobile that we enjoy very much.
    Check this out.. spread the word!! Please! http://www.consumerreports.org/
    Consumer reports had some very good things to say about Ford. Toyota slips.. AGAIN.. :blush:
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    We have a new 2008 Mercury Milan Premier I4 with most every option but navigation.

The Milan still looks athletic and elegant. The interior is perhaps a bit plainer than the new Malibu or the 2009 Sonata, but it is functional and comfortable. I'd like to see updates to the interior with fewer cut lines and more elegant door panels, but the exterior is still strikingly good looking for a mid-size family car.

Styling and ride/handling balance won my wife's choice. For me value was important too. A luxuriously equipped Milan was in practice more like the entry price level for some competitors. Style opens the door (is it acceptable?) but value seals the deal.

Our I4 5-speed automatic is deliverying 27 mpg + in a 60/40 highway/city mix (average speed about 31 according to the driver's information center). That's very respectable for a new engine in a near luxury mid-size car.

I personally prefer the Milan's waterfall grill and wider headlights to the three-bar Fusion grill. I like the Fusion, but the Milan is more sophisticated and elegant with the same basic body panels.

Among midsize competitors I like the exterior styling of Malibu the best, the Milan/Fusion second, and the Sonata third. I dislike the new Accord and find it to be a negative departure from a lean and generally attractive last generation Accord. The last generation Accord and Fusion/Milan have some styling similarities, especially in the headlights and front fenders. The Fusion/Milan have a stronger more athletic C-pillar and rear fender area. Similarly, I liked the last Altima better than the new Altima. The new one took what was good about the last Altima and went too far (e.g., the tail lights). The Camry is a bit muddled with a few too many inconsistent surface details. I especially dislike the grill with the Toyota logo dripping down off the hood.

Generally, the Fusion/Milan sport cohesive or unified styling that is lean and strong. To this basic formula the Milan adds a touch of elegance and sophistication with the waterfall grill, unique alloy wheels and wider tail lights.

As some evidence that we're not alone, we've received multiple unsolicited positive comments in parking lots, including one from an Altima driver (the last version, which is itself attractive). The bad news for Mercury is that only one of those commenting recognized the Milan as a Mercury. (He credited the Jill commercials.) The Altima driver was a late 20s, early 30s woman who asked my wife what type of car it was, because, "it's really good looking. I love those wheels (14 spoke alloys) and that color (the vivid or claret red). It's sporty." Neither knew it was new. A couple of others asked what it was in the grocery store parking lot, but shorter conversations, "That's nice, what is is?" And one, what kind of gas mileage do you get? He liked the answer.
This discussion has been closed.