Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Tire/Wheel Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited May 2014 in Subaru
Discuss B9 tire and wheel issues here.

Comments

• capreciaccapreciac Member Posts: 12
    I LOVE my gorgeous gold/leather Tribeca. I went out in the garage only to discover air leaking out of the rear driver side tire due to a LARGE nail/small spike. Due to the size of the hole, I'm reluctant to get it repaired, so I thought I would just replace the tire. However, I have 10,000 miles on the car. Is this significant wear? Should I replace all four? Just the two on the same axel? Any idea how much these tires usually do last? How much they cost or if they are hard to get? Stranded in upstate New York!!!
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    you aren't supposed to have more than a 1/4 inch difference in circumference between the tires or the AWD system may be damaged, at 10K miles, you may be close to or beyond that limit.
    you can check prices at Tirerack.com. if the difference in circumference is more than a 1/4 in you could get them shaved to match your older ones.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You should measure, but I think the tires are new enough that you could replace one. You could also buy one new tire and have it shaved to match the others, if it is too far off.

-juice
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I would ask the tire shop if it could be repaired before buying a new one. They tend to error on the side of safety so if they say it can be repaired I would give it a try.
  • capreciaccapreciac Member Posts: 12
    Update - I took the car and the tire to the dealer today. They felt confident and repaired the tire, however they also measured the tires and they were only worn to 11/32! I therefore insisted on getting a new tire, however, it will take them a week to get it. I can get it from a tire place in 24-48 hours and for about $25 cheaper. I decided to replace the tire for peace of mind and also if the patch does fail later, say at 20,000, I wouldn't be able to replace just one tire due to wear and would have to replace all four.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    keep the patched tire as a spare... then you wont feel bad shaving it down if you do happen to get another flat that isnt repairable.
  • ckweheckwehe Member Posts: 8
    Hi all...my new B9 was delivered to me w/100 miles or so on it because I am 9 mos pregnant and on bedrest. Went out and walked around it, started it, etc...no problem. Took it around the block a while later and a warning light came on, seems to be the tire pressure light. Haven't got the ability to crawl around and check the tire pressure with my big belly, LOL, nothing looks low. Before I take it in somewhere, is this a common issue at all or just some freak incident?
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    Not a common problem- rather just a very sensitive sending unit... Unfortunately you won't know which tire is low without checking every tire- the good thing however is that once you find the tire and put the recommended psi in, the light will go out the next time your start the car.

Best wishes
    AKA1
  • wesley1wesley1 Member Posts: 17
    My pressure indicators were sensitive at first and finally broke in. As for air try one of these. Just give them the right pounds for the front and back.
    The dealer should be able to adjust the air without an appointment.
    Look for a full service gas station.
    I have also used a "fast lub" drive through for just air when it was urgent, on a trailer no less.
    Most places will be glad to help for free or maybe a tip.
    Tell the hubby to take it back to the dealer and stay off your feet! Good luck with delivery. :)

-juice
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I want to buy a 'beca, but one of the things I'm looking for is some level of off-road capability. Nothing too serious. I don't need a low range, and the subie AWD will be sufficient, but I'm a bit scared to count on the Goodyear Eagles to put up with rocks and sandy terrain. (especially with a temporary spare) Any thoughts on an on-road/off-road tire that comes in 255/55R18 that still does a decent job on road, but will give me some additional performance an ruggedness off road?
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    At 34,000 miles, it was time to replace the OE tires on my Tribeca. I was going to just get direct replacements - the Goodyear Eagle LS - until I started doing some research on the web. Seems other people aren't too thrilled with the tread life on them, either.

After a couple of days of reading reviews and blogs and checking prices, I decided on the Yokohama Geolander G052. I took an internet price, including shipping, to a local dealer who "can't be undersold!" and he actually cut me a good deal. I had them installed last night.

I commute 40 miles each way to work, so they got a small workout this morning. So far, I'm favorably impressed. The guy I carpool with even commented on how the tires are noticeably quieter than the old ones. They handle well and have a reputation for good wet/snow/ice traction - something I'll get to judge in the not-too-distant future.

Just thought I'd offer this up in case anyone else is contemplating replacing their tires. Yokohama is not a cheap alternative to the Goodyear, but if you're looking for something as good or better, they might be worth considering.
    Wow, new tires already, it seems like the Tribeca was just launched. You drive a lot. :shades:

-juice
    I do, although I believe there are others on the forum who drive even more than me. Having the Tribeca has certainly made my daily journey (and occasional vacation trips) more pleasant. I really like this car. I hope it lasts as long as my other Subarus have in the past.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    The Eagle LS "2" got a real stinky rating from Tire Rack. Much better rating fo the regular Eagle LS (without the 2)

I replaced my OEM tires on 05 Outback last year with Goodyear Triple Treads. I put approx 25,000 on those tires last year through the winter, but never had much snow up here in New England to ever give them a real good test. Don't really know if they would have lasted the 80,000 miles as advertised. I have 15k now on my 06 I bought as a Demo, already put on 5k in 7 weeks so certainly come next summer I will be looking to replace them with something.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    Wow 34000 already.. I have mine for like a year now and only have like 8000 miles.... Hate to see how much u have to pay for gas each month... It seems to me that I have to fill'er up every other time I drive her at the weekends...
    :cry:
    I got mine last June. As far as gas, let's just say the recent price drop is a welcome relief. I hope prices stay down for a while.
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I had to replace a tire on my Tribeca. I have 17, 000 miles on it. I contacted my local Subaru Service manager about possible damage to the AWD system because of the difference in tire wear. He said as long as the tire is an exact replacement and is placed on the right rear it is fine. I hope this helps.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I'm not sure that that makes sense. I've never heard anything unique or different about the right rear- nor should there be, which already makes me suspect. I HAVE heard that tires should be within 1/4 circumference with each other. It is possible to 1. have the new tire measured with respect to the others, and 2. if necessary, have the new tire shaved a bit to match the others.

Just like talking to a doctor- I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
    Sounds like a borderline case. 17k miles is about half the life expentancy of the tire. I would actually measure the circumference.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    can we get clear on exactly what 20'' tire and wheel sizes ar compatible with the b9?

tire rack said one thing which I went with but have always felt they weren't wide enough when looking from behind, in fact less wide looking the the oem 18'' tires.

don't have or remember the exact size of my 20'' wheels and tires but yeah it was tire racks only size choice for 20''

but obviously there is other compatible sizes as the car show I wen to had a spt tribeca with differenr size 20'' tires (and wheels I guess) and I feel like I have seen or heard another 20 dimension tire that is compat elsewhere as well so it woul be nice to clarify and list the compat 20'' sizes.

though for me ill prob go to 22'' next at his point. is there only one compatible 22'' tire and wheel size for tribeca? the one that tire rack lists? anyone do 22's yet?
    Tire Rack is pretty conservative. They told me I could not fit a 225/60R16 tire on my Forester, and so they refused to even sell me the tires.

I went to Discount Tire Direct and got them, and they fit just fine, never rubbed once.

-juice
  • ckweheckwehe Member Posts: 8
    I was the pregnant lady a few posts back, now I have a 2 month old. Still having the darn sensor light on all the time. I take it in to Mr Tire and they tell me the tires are maybe 1-2 psi low, fill it up, light goes off. Three weeks later light goes back on. Sales rep and manual say it shouldn't go on unless it's 6 psi off, techs at the local dealership service centers say no, more like 2-3. Anyone else having this happen? Is it normal to lose that much pressure, even 2-3 psi, every few weeks? (happens regardless of temperature outside)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If it's not a sensor problem, it almost has to be a slow leak. Is the pressure down in all the tires, or just one?
    Ask if the dealer will replace the valve itself. Must be a slow leak.

-juice
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Dear Preglant Lady... I have had one tire that has caused the light to go on approx once every few weeks, then once a week now every few days. Just today diagnosed with a nail in the sidewall, and not repairable. Not really pleased as most Goodyear Dealers want around $230 for one lousy tire!

I can tell you, when the light went on the tire pressure had dropped from either 32 or 33 (depending on whether the offending tire was on the front or rear by 2, maybe 3 pounds. That's all it takes. Now that the tire is leaking more about 5 pounds every few days so I will have to replace it.
    Didnt we have this discussion already x5? for those that want to catch up on the conversation from the previous forum that is read only now:

cluelesspa, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #6706, 11 Jan 2006 8:59 pm

you have to work with the factors of wheel size, profile and tire size. The moderator also put a link to a tire profile calculator :) use this to calulate the diameter of tire and compare that to OEM diameter. if you keep the same diameter and you get a size that wont rub you will be fine. also with wheels you have to watch the offset to make sure your not too much off the OEM offset or your tires will stick out.
    yeah well like you said that thread is read only now and this is the tire/wheel thread so its an obvious subject worth bringing up again especially since i was never clear.

i see the point what your saing to use the the tire profile calculator and all. its just some fell safer especially when ordering online and not want to wait and see if it doesnt' rub and have to return ship.

and bein' ive seen a bunch of diff sizes i just wanted to see if i could get more clear in here on what would be ideal sizes in 20" and 22"

i know on my 20's , i feel they aren't as wide as the oem 18's even it seems like and in general just dont look like a major upgrade size increase because of the size which i forget off hand now but it was what tirerack recommended.

i guess it was he safe pick but like i said they just dont look like enough of an upgrade and actually look not as wide as oem 18's

for 22" though there is prob less if not only one size that is compatible so prob def have to go with tire racks recommended 22" size
    OK here is the best recommendation I can make.

STICK with the OEM sized tire ratio. Don't go wider or change the final diameter from the OEM Tire (total diameter tire and wheel) and you wont rub :)

if you want to increase the WHEEL (rim) size (you need to go with a lower profile TIRE to make up for the wheel size increase). you again want to keep the same final outside wheel diameter (use the calculator linked to make sure). if you do not you will mess up your odometer and speedometer.

not sure what you are looking for but it sounds like you want WIDER tires in addition to a Larger WHEEL (RIM). don't confuse WHEEL size with TIRE size. First decide your WHEEL size you want then you can pick tires. you cant really do them both at the same time.
    yeah mine are fine, i've just seen other 20" sizes that looked a little bigger and/or i liiked better like one at car show, some pics on orig threaad and one i saw in a parkgin garage. but its hard to tell exactly and the one wheel can make an illusion

mine still look great have been great and get lots of compliments and were an improvment over the oem. i'm just particular and in afterthough would have like to have gone bigger maybe but was trying to keep it classy and humble not overkill blinged out huge 22's

i like my all black rims with machined lip but its just after some time they are almost too conservative and boring being all black and not having any metal bolts or any extra design element that some have. its a good subtle look though that improves the b9 while lookin like they go with/came with the vehicle.

will go 22 next but prob on a new diff car
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    I've had a slow leak in my tire for the past six months from a plug that wasn't sealing properly. So like someone here had mentioned before, with nearly 25K miles on it, figured it was time for four new ones. BTW the tires still had plenty of tread left on it- using Lincoln's head on a penny as a measuring tool. I wound up going with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000. I found them at Tirerack for 121 a piece, and Discount tire beat that price... So far the tires are far superior to the GY's for ride, handling, and quietness. There's less humm on the highway, and lane changes at higher speeds are much more composed. I still like the way the GY's looked compared with the Dunlops- but satisfied nonetheless.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    Well, I check my tires because I haven't check them for awhile and I haven't driven the B9 for a month or 2. All 4 tires were down to like 26 PSI. But the darn TPMS light never came on even after driving for like 60 miles on 26 PSI..... Does anyone else has this problem?
    It came on once last year at the start of winter season and went away after I put some air in. So I know it works, or at least it worked..... :(
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    It is a strange system...isn't 27 supposed to be the cutoff? I have winter tires on separate wheels on the car and it took a long time before the TPMS system figured out the sensors were gone and started blinking the warning light.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    According to the Tech's Reference Book, the light will go on at 27.26 psi, and turn of when the PSI returns to at least 30.17 or higher. Have your dealer check the sensors...if you have changed tires/wheels, maybe there's a re-calibration that need to take place?

-Karen in AZ-
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My TPMs work great on my armada, anything below 30 PSi they go on.

-mike
  • nhhawk6nhhawk6 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have a recommendation for a snow and ice tire for the B9? My original tires are bald at 25,000 miles. I need a superior all season tire or a true snow and ice application for New Hampshire driving conditions.

Hawk
    I have a set of Pirelli Scorpions Snow and Ice tires coming Tues from Tire Rack. Discount tire didnt carry them.

For here in Pittsburgh we dont get snow then we get snow then none...ect... so I wanted the same size tire as the OEM because most of the time it would be wet or dry driving. Instead of going down one size in width.

I had the Pirelli's on my Pacifica and they worked well in the snow and dry condition. they are H rated or you can get V rated. Probably better 100% snow only tires out there but for my 50/50 wet rain vs snow driving this works and gives me performance I like when driving most of the time.
  • nhhawk6nhhawk6 Member Posts: 8
    Funny you should mention the Scorpions... I've been researching since my last post, and they look like the ones to go with for mixed driving. Thanks!

Hawk
    I use the Sotto Zeros on my subarus, not sure if they are available in the size for the Tribeca, however the Pirellis overall are great tires.

-mike
    Go to Tirerack.com I got Michelin Latitude X-ice from there on 17" alloy wheels. They look great and are very quiet tires. I had Arctic Alpins on my old Forester and they were great tires...hence the reason I got the X-ice. I think the $99 alloy's from Tirerack look better than the OEM wheels.
    i got 20" black wheels and Toyo tires way back within first 6 mo of having my B9.

now i wish i had nad might still do 22" wheels with possibly some Pirelli Zero Asymmetrico tires unless i just wait to do the 22 thing on my next car. hopefully a newer MDX but dont want to make same mistake i did with B9 and get first year it comes out though mdx is just redesign not brand new model like b9 was and i got screwed on the first year cargo cover etc but mostly just want the mdx price to go down once second year of redesign is released.
  • perryjayperryjay Member Posts: 1
    I have a B9 on order, with the special edition package. The dealer says the factory is out of the alloy wheels (18 x 8.0) so I get to buy some new wheels, which is great b/c I can dress up the car a bit. I've found some wheels that are really cool, but the closest size they come in to the OEM is 18 x 7.5. I am admittedly ignorant about offset sizes, etc., so can someone tell me if these will fit the Tribeca ok? The wheel supplier says no one has tried to fit these on a Tribeca yet, so they say I might need 'spacers'. What's that about? Also, is is possible to go bigger in wheel size? The same wheels that I like come in 20 x 8.5.
    Always use the proper offset and wheel width as the stockers, spacers are dangerous and the inproper offset will cause pre-mature wheel bearing issues that won't be covered by the warranty.

-mike
    The factory is out of alloy wheels?!??!!! Seems weird to me....Sure the SE edition is not that plentiful but how will they replace wheels damaged etc.

For the best selection of wheels...check out tirerack.com.
    Highly doubt that.

-mike
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    Would someone please recommend a good replacement tire for my 2006 B9? I live in New Hampshire, want something good for rain, snow, safety, quiet, longetivity.

I have to replace them this month, cannot pass inspection with the current factory tires.
    Thanks for your help.
  • bgunit68bgunit68 Member Posts: 18
    I replaced my tires at 54k with a set of Michelin Synchrone 4X4 (Discount Tire). The rating is great for wet and good for snow. I live near Albany N. We got a lot of snow last year. They were great in the snow. I got better mileage on them too. And they are unreal on wet pavement. I, also, have a Ford Sport Trac. I can't wait to get a set for that. The Tribeca is a far better car. We already have 80k on it. We are looking at the new ones. It is my first Subaru but definitely not my last. I have an awesome dealer as well(Goldstein,Albany,NY).
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    Thanks for the reply. I will check them out.
  • slance66slance66 Member Posts: 22
    I seem to be thinking the opposite of the others here. To me, the OEM tires are both lousy (especially in snow) and too wide. For snow and for better mileage, I would rather switch to a narrower tire. Has anyone thought about whether 235-60-18s would work on the standard wheels? Seems like the difference in circumference and sidewall height is minor.
  • efinch2efinch2 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased 4 new Yokohama 255/55R tires. They are nice and quiet. The only problem is the tire pressure light stays on. How do i turn it off?
This discussion has been closed.