Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

B9 Tribeca Suspension Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Comments

• bgunit68bgunit68 Member Posts: 18
    I got my Tribeca June of last year. I have aprox. 24,000 miles on it. I love my car and the dealer who sold it to me has been awesome. I just recently started hearing a clunking noise when I went over a bump. It came from both sides. They told me the struts were noisy and they replaced them (no charge). The clunk is still there, not as frequent, but still there. Any Ideas?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Make sure the sway bars are greased up, it's rubber on metal so they can make a loud groan if they're dried out.

-juice
    thanks but this is an actual clunk. It mainly happens when the tire hits a bump and it usually happens when the tire is moving up. It on both sides of the front end. I called the dealer they will take it in tomorrow.
    Cool, keep us posted?

May be a bad shock or something.

-juice
  • rager1rager1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I bought my Tribeca last year in june. And I have the same problem when passing over bumps. I went to the dealer they've changed a piece, but still it clunks. They've told me that thay have changed a few of them recently. They must investigate further on supension to resolve this issue. So to all of you pay attention to noise coming from suspension it may be more than just a normal noise, it can be more serious.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Coincidentally (?) I bought my Tribeca last June and I had the same problem at around 20K miles. My service manager knew what it was - front sway bar bushings. He said the newer Legacy models had this problem, as well.

In any case, he replaced the bushings and that solved the 'clunk' I was hearing.

Now I have a new noise. With every body lean - low speed turns, even curves - the car creaks like it's on old bedsprings. I'm almost due for the next oil change, so I'll have it checked out then.
    My service manager also found out that it was the sway bar bushings. Waiting to see if it will start agian to clunk!!
  • lisaolisao Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2006 with 20,000miles. It has been clunking underneath for a while. They ordered a sway bar, then said it wasnt that and changed one strut. Still clunking over bumps. You feel it under your feet? I don,t want to spend my life at the dealership, thats why I have a new car, any suggustions? I havent even told them its still clunking, I just want it fixed!!
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Mine does this, too. They checked for torn boots, sway bars, etc., but never found anything. It's noticeable when I back out of my driveway onto the street, and I hear it on other occasions when moving forward, sometimes when turning the wheel, but usually always at slow speeds...don't know if it's doing it at faster speeds.

Sure hope someone can find the cause, and that it's not too dangerous in the meantime. Maybe I have gotten used to the sound and am ignoring it :-)

-Karen in AZ-
    You are describing the same symptoms I had. It was the front sway bar bushings. My service mgr told me you can't tell by looking that they are bad. He confirmed it by taping something with duct tape and the clunking stopped, at least temporarily. He then replaced the bushings for a permanent fix. I have had no further re-occurrence of the clunking. The sway bar itself was not replaced.
    Keep those bushings lubed up. At every oil change I spray them with lithium grease.

-juice
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I have an occasional clunk noise also. It sounds like the mid-range tone on a set of bamboo wind chimes. Does that sound like other owners experiences?
    Quote - Keep those bushings lubed up. At every oil change I spray them with lithium grease.

-juice

That's very good advice. I had developed a creaking in the suspension after the sway bar bushings were replaced that was driving me crazy. I took the car back in for an oil change two days ago and told them about the problem. The 'fix' was to lubricate the sway bar bushings. I was skeptical, but the creaking is actually gone. I think I'll make a habit of asking them to lube the bushings at every oil change from now on.
  • lamslams Member Posts: 5
    I've had my Tribeca for a year now, in Feb. Starting hearing heavy thunking noises coming from the front end.Took car back to dealer found that both struts, strut mounts and bushings were bad everything has been replaced but noise is still there and it sounds just like the struts are broke again, had my mechanic check entire front suspesion.. nothing.. Anyone have any ideas or have had similar problem
    Hi, We have the same problem. Its a definate clunking sound. Like something is hanging underneath car and banging over any bumps. I actually had the dealership tell me that it was the folding soccer chair( cloth ) in the way back that was rattling! I told them not to pee on my leg and tell me its raining! They replaces one strut and while the ride is smoother, its still a clunker! maybe this week I,ll try the dealership again. The only good news for me is that its a lease so bye-bye at 3 years. I previously owned two outbacks and never had one problem. Last subaru for me!!! :cry:
  • mbogdanmbogdan Member Posts: 14
    The rattling noise is a heat shield, they fixed mine twice
    Is this not a little strange when you think of it.
    We are talking about the SUBARU'S flagship, most of the vehicles are a few months or a year old and have so many problems. There must be thousand of other Tribeca owners that do not even know about this website and have some problems. Before I thought that SUBARU was a really good vehicle and I am sure it was.
    Is this normal for a top of the line vehicle to have so many problems?
    DID YOU BUY IT AS A USED VEHICLE?
    Does the heat shield sound as if both struts are gone. You would swear that both struts are shot AGAIN. We've taken this back to the dealer about 5 times. The last time I drove with them in the car and of course you could'nt hear a single noise. They made me feel like it was all in my head. The of the service dept.manager said this is a luxury vehicle it's meant for highways and what kind of roads did I live on.
    No, brand new, even picked it out from stock, it had 8 miles on it. The clunking started about 8,000.00 Beware all you people who are not there yet, because this sounds like a definate issue for Subaru. Oh and just a side note, I read that they changed the suspension/struts on the 2007, does that say problem to you?
    I'm sorry, that question was directed at mbogden. I didn't realize that he had hijacked your thread.
    Sounds like the front sway bar bushings are bad. That's what mine was.
    yes that is how it sounded,
    I have another sound coming from the front of the vehicle,
    sounds like loose spring or piece of metal, only on uneven roads or when accelerating, turning
    All the bushing in the front end have been replaced. They lubed up the entire front end, by the time I pulled into my driveway (which is about 1 hour from the nearest dealer) the noise was already back.I don't like the fact that because they cannot not hear the noise that there is not a problem. I believe that Subaru is well aware that there is a front end suspension problem and unwilling at this time to do any real recalls due to the almighty dollars sign. To change every defective front end will cost them a fortune.
    your right! The old saying about not buying a car the first year it comes out appears to be true!!
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    What if no one bought any first year vehicles? That would certainly delay some of the problems that don't crop up until a vehicle is 2 or 3 years old. HA!
    Did you have a point? You should know that first year vehicles are where they get the kinks out. As the years progress other unforseen or expensive issues pop up. The first year is where design flaws tend to surface. I knew this going in, hence leasing...
    I had the same problem. Along with the fog lights and cd player problem. They put new struts on that didn't work. They did something to the bearings and replaced the tie rod. It no longer clunks. It would do it on an uneven surface. If I went over a speed bump it wouldn't do it but if one tire went higher than the other it would also when breaking and turning into our drive which has a slight incline it would do it but it has been fixed. My dealer has been great. I am aware that it is a new model and bugs are bound. All in all I love the vehicle. No I have to bring it in for the cd player not playing some CD. It will spit it out once try it again and then read mech error. But it also leaves a rub mark accross the back of the cd everytime it does it. That is also an intermittant problem.
    I wanted everyone to know that my Tribeca has now hit NYS lemon law, The thunking noise in the front end has gotten much worse they cannot find the problem. I took it back to the dealership and met with two men from subaru ,one was the general manager of the corporation,they checked the front themselves found nothing. On the following Monday the general manager came to my house,we took the car out on my roads he heard the noise that was coming from the front made all the arrangements for another strut replacement (3rd times for these)DIDN'T WORK struts were not the problem. By the way the change on the 2007 model front end is a parts change in Dec. of 2005 they had changed the struts all together( so I was told by the gen. manager).
    Now we're here at the lemon law issue. Letter has been fired into Subaru headquarters. I'll let everyone know where this ends up.
    Good for you!!

My clunking continues but I am all worn out bringing it back and forth to the dealership. Thank God its a lease. I will not be taking any responsibilty for the way it runs when it gets turned in, 1.5 years to go and my last subaru I think. :confuse:
    I've had the same problem, they have changed the sway bars bushing and the problem was solved, did they checked that?
    The whole sway bar probably costs $78 or so (that's what I paid for an OE upgrade bar on my Forester). Worth a look.

-juice
    Sway bar bushings have already been replaced this was discovered when the first set of struts were replaced.
    They had also checked the sway bars it seems that weld job done on these can break mine were checked with a crowbar and they didn't budge. Anyway I just received a phone call from Subaru Corp. they want to try one more fix. They think that maybe the torque on the lower A-frame is distorting the retainer plates and causing everything to shift (might be why it sounds like the engine is going to fall out). So I will give it one more go of it might help, can't hurt.
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    I just returned from a 1.5 hour round trip on some rough roads and thought Becky did rather well (son now calls it becky due to the female gps voice). It seemed to soak up the bumps quite well without transmitting much to the driver. IT was also very quiet at around 80-90 KM (50-55mph). I wonder how the revised suspension on the 07's compares.
    That was what I called the NAV voice, too. :shades:

-juice
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    I just took my 06 in to the dealer with a clunk in the front end when I go over a bump. The dealer said they have not seen this before and after checking the car said that my front left strut needs to be replaced. I asked them if they ever check this forum and were aware of other complaints about a clunk noise, they said no, of course. My car is at 36400 miles and they want to charge for the repair. I want to make sure that the correct repair is being made though, before I do anything. Any suggestions?

Steve in NH :confuse:
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    400 miles over the warranty and they want to charge?!?!? Is this the dealer you bought from? That's not good service in my mind at all. They will probably try to double dip....charge you and put it through warranty. Try a Subaru rep as well perhaps?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Albeit close to the milage. Personally I'd look into aftermarket struts if I was gonna have to pay for em.

A clunk can be hard to diagnose so I'm not sure it's the strut. I could very well be and without feeling it for ourselves it would be hard to diagnose.

I had a clunk over bumps/speedbumps in my Armada and thought it was a strut, turned out to be a loose sway bar bolt. I'd check them first.

-mike
    Thanks for the replies. No it is not the dealer I bought from but they have done the service sine I bought it. I will ask my other mechanic for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks
    Steve
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    Well at 26k the front suspension had a loose sound to it. like a dull rattle over quick bumps. They replaced the sway bar links and the bushings and all is well. had this done when I first got the b9. hope this is not a 30k normal event. at least I am putting the gold extended Subaru warranty to work.
    SO after a call to SOA, they requested that I get another opinion from a different Dealer, which I did. The 2nd Dealer said that it is both rear bushings on front control arms torn SOA has agreed to refund the repair cost to me and has provided this offer to me in writing. The works is scheduled for next week at the 2nd dealer. I will update after the work is complete.
    We had the prescribed work done... replace both rear bushings on front control arms torn. This did not correct the problem. Back to the dealer...
    We had ours done around the same time. At about 25,000 miles. Unfortunately, we have 52,000 miles on it now and it started again. Come to find out he took the parts off a new one.
    owner of the dealership pushed hard to have the claim denied by Subaru Warranty

Sounds like you just need to change dealers, not manufacturers.

Oh well, probably too late since your mind is made up.
  • hectoro27hectoro27 Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the much talked about clunking on my '06 Tribeca and before I take it to the dealership I would like to know exactly what to tell them to check. So far it seems that the problem is with the sway bar bushings? My car has 25,000 miles and just like someone else said the clunking happens when entering the driveway, on uneven surfaces, when I parallel park, etc. I would appreciate any comments.
    Hi everyone and Merry Christmas:

Not sure if this is the correct forum....

It is time to replace the tires on my '06 Tribeca. I have looked at three models and would like to hear from anyone with an opinion about a good replacemnt tire for New Enlgnad weather.

Goodyear Eagle - recommended by a local Subaru Dealer
    Goodyear Radial LS
    Michelin MX4 or MX2

Thanks for your help.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I got Nexen Rodians at Town Fair, Replaced tires at 48k, not have 59k so far no problems. I guess they are a real "aggressive tires" according to Subaru Dealer. Don't have receipt right now, but I believe cost was around $460 including extended warranty and all taxes.
    Thanks for the reply. I never heard of these but the lowest price I got was $780, most around $900 for the set installed. I will look in to this.

Is there another forum for comments about tire replacement?
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Even for the Goodyear replacement of OEM tires should not cost you more than $550 or so installed. If you are in New England, check Tire Fair. I leave near Providence, RI and there were other dealers "Tire Pros" that can get you tires comparable to OEM ones for about that same price. The Subaru Dealer was asking almost $900, do not buy them there!
    Occking:

Thanks for your help. I will keep looking around. The Subaru dealer was in fact the lowest price, offering the Goodyear Eagle at $768 mounted and balanced. I will check out Tire Fair.

I remember reading a thread about tires on this site right after I bought my B9. There was some concern about having the proper size or there would be other related problems with the wheel well space and or suspension... or something like that. I will look around the site.