Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible Top and Sunroof Problems

Comments

• jackieh2jackieh2 Member Posts: 17
    Mike: Thanks for your input. It was like a kick in the butt and got me motivated to action!!1 I e-mailed the owner of the dealership telling him of my dissatisfaction with the Sebring :lemon: and Chrysler in general. I also went to the dealership and asked their service department for all records of their unsuccessful attempts to fix the darned car. I hinted that I had the Johnnie Cochran of Lemon Law Litigation waiting in the wings--I have talked with a firm I found when I Googled VA Lemon Law. However, I doubt I'll need them as I got a message just this afternoon from the dealership's owner saying he had recommended that Chrysler begin the buy-back process. I'm looking at the VW Eos--the retractable hard top (with sun roof yet) operated so smoothly and quietly. It is beautifully put together--everything fits like a glove. But dressed out like the Sebring, it's another cool $8K. It won't even hold one set of Callaways in the trunk with the top down. It gets fabulous reviews--owners love it. I'm not going to get excited about anything until I have the check in my hot little hand. I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks again. Jackie
  • mikebuckleymikebuckley Member Posts: 16
    Jackie: Please continue to keep us informed.

As much as I am hopeful that you get swift, satisfactory action, I am still not convinced that you are getting what you deserve. Just a couple of thoughts to follow up about that ...

If I understand correctly, the recommendation for Chrysler to begin the buy-back process came only after you emailed the CEO and asked for your service record. If that's true, they are responding to the squeaky wheel (pun intended) rather than proactively acting responsively.

If you haven't already learned all of the details of the buy-back process, be sure to do that. The questions: How long does it take? What are the factors that are considered? Who is the decision maker? What is the decision maker's contact information? Each time they get in touch with you, get a firm commitment as to when you will hear from them the next time.

My Chrysler dealer has the car's service record available online. (Not all dealers do.) Even so, you are absolutely right to get printed service records from the dealer.

Better yet, each time you take the car in for service, including warranty service, you should always get a SIGNED copy of the record indicating what was done, the mileage at the time it was done, the date the shop accepted and returned your car, and what the next step is, if any.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, Mike. You have helped me no end, especially keepinh me motivated and focused. Yes, I've been a very squeaky wheel. I have all the documentation with dates, mileage, etc., but don't think I'll need it because....
    One of the dealership's directors called me yesterday and said Chrysler will be calling me "soon" to discuss a replacement vehicle "so you won't have to deal with the state." I told him I would consider such an offer but the new car would have to just now come off the assembly line--nothing first generation, as it were, and I would verify the date of manufacture. I could demand and would likely get a full refund but quite frankly, I haven't found anything I like better at the price. Other than irritation, I haven't been inconvenienced--I've always had a rental car. The dealer has put over a $1K into Enterprise and I've got to drive a variety of vehicles.
    When Chrysler calls, I'll see what "extras" they are willing to give me for my "inconvenience and aggravation." My Sebring Touring :lemon: is fully loaded so they can't give me any options. I intend to suggest they give me an extended warranty at their cost (I never buy 'em on anything) "to protect me against the likelyhood of future problems with the top's mechanism."
    I'll keep y'all posted. Jackie
    Jackie: I'm so pleased that everything really does seem to moving along. It's clear that you're handling it perfectly.

I think the statistical odds are very much in your favor that a second car will not have the malfunctions that were present in the first one. So, I think it's great that you're open minded to considering a replacement car rather than a refund.

However, considering all of the circumstances that you experienced, you might consider entering into a special contract in the event that you do indeed accept a replacement. The contract could in essence guarantee you immediate relief if the same stuff happens again with the replacement car.

By the way, I would be very, very surprised if your dealer actually incurs the costs of providing you the rental car. Under the circumstances, I would be shocked to learn that the dealer isn't reimbursed by Chrysler. Chrysler should be paying for the rental car, because doing so is right on so many levels.

Let us know when you get the keys to the new car!
    Mike: I appreciate ALL your suggestions--you sound like an attorney. You're right--Chrysler will have picked up the tab on the rentals but the dealer made it happen. You've probably read about other owners who haven't had my experience in this regard.
    My Sebring :lemon: is behaving OK right now so I have the time and energy to negotiate the T's and C's of the replacement. I'm not convinced Chrysler will be receptive to negotiation.... I'll be interested in getting "the call" and knowing the level of the caller. VA Lemon Law says Chrysler has 45 days to comply once the decision to refund or replace is made. I have yet to hear from the state investigator.
    Many of my friends say I'm nuts to even consider another Sebring "...go for the VeeDub Eos" they say.
    Jackie
    Jackie: Good point that the dealer, not Chrysler, made the rental car available to you. Points go to the dealer for that.

I agree that Chrysler will probably not want to negotiate a special contract. But it won't hurt to try.

No, I'm not an attorney. Now you know how little my advice is worth. :P
  • kimberlypkimberlyp Member Posts: 4
    I talked to you awhile back when my top was broken and the dealership wouldn't do anything for me. After complaining to the dealership they gave me a rental and fixed everything that was wrong with the top and the trunk. I have not had a problem since (Thank God.) I don't know what the future holds for me and my car, but I guess I will see. Good luck with everything.
  • jay29584jay29584 Member Posts: 1
    My 08 touring conv only has 6000 miles, and the top has messed up. When lowering the top, the top dropped back, but now the trunk will not come back down. This happened Friday at 8pm. Dealership isn't open until Monday. Good thing I have a garage that it will fit into. Any one know of a way to manually get the trunk down. When I hit the button on the dash to complete dropping the top I can hear the motor running, but nothing happens. Any advice?
  • bigeeebigeee Member Posts: 5
    Mine 04 just started doing this also. I did not notice it until after my son ran it through the car wash he works at. An earlier post said something about an allen wrench or star wrench could tighten down the latches, but I have not tried that yet. If you get a reply on this, please forward it to my personal email @: kim.gilmore@att.net.

Love the air blowing in my receding hair!

Kim :)
  • kimscar1kimscar1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been taking my new Sebring in for service regarding the weather stripping crimping in the windows. Alas, they have not been able to fix it on the last 6 attempts. Has anyone had similar issues? I have been told by my dealer that they have not heard of any other issues similar to this... I am now starting the California Lemon Law procedure; we'll see how long this takes.
    This is the first time I've heard about this problem. Was your car one of the earlier 2008 models, May or June 07? I heard there is a recall on some 08 Sebring convertibles associated with a door latch.

I recently received my replacement vehicle, built in Nov. 07, and so far it is perfect and I'm loving it. But I've only driven it 480 miles. I'm optimistic that Chrysler has finally figured out the retractible top problems with the early models.

If you are claiming relief via Lemon Law, document, document, document. These are not cheap vehicles and they should be delivered without defects. Good luck. Jackie in VA
  • ricbraricbra Member Posts: 3
    There is a recall posted on 01/18 that changes a micro switch of the top and my dealer is saying that after doing the recall in 30 or more vehicles none of the customers came back but it's winter so I don't know if the problem was really eliminated. Does anybody has any information after doing the recall?
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Does anybody has any information after doing the recall?

What model year?
  • kcarbokcarbo Member Posts: 2
    I had my replaced. I purchased my 2008 in September. By November, the top left me stranded in the parking lot of an Academy Sports & Outdoors with the trunk still open from lowering the top. The car had to be towed to a dealership. They said it was the main computer that operated the convertible top that had to be replaced. They fixed it..........Well not quite. In February the top malfunctioned again. Getting stuck open, and then not responsive. I brought it in. They notified me of the recall, and replaced the switch. Since getting my car back after the second repair I have had no problems. I have probably used the top 7-10 times since then, and no problems. However, I have no confidence in the operations of the convertible top, and am just waiting for it to leave me stranded again. (I live in the south, that is why I have been able to use my top so much.)
  • lmarascalmarasca Member Posts: 2
    hi all,
    we recently purchased a used 2008 sebring convertible. had only 14000. on it. not bad. great looking car. took it out for a test drive and the roof creaked and rattled while up. they to;ld us it would be taken care of. so we put thetop down and the ride was smooth. the next few days it was inh the 90's and the roof down was a welcome ride. one of those days i got a message top failed. so for 2 sweltering 95 degrees we could not use the top. we had to turn up the radio to avoid the rattle. well we made an appt to get the car roof looked at and was told chrysler is aware of the problem and working on a fix . now we had the vehicle checked out and ws told the rattle is characteristic of the vehicle. ok well. i don't think thats gonna work.we still have not registered the car because we have 20 days and still the rattle. we went back to the dealer and they were going to have a meeting to dicuss it with whomever....no meeting .. no discussion. i have gone back and now i do not want the car. i will buy a new one if i have to. so they have no new ones but they built one on computer.. here it comes.... we lose 5500. on the car for trade and they want to charge another processing fee. and come to find out it is not characteristic of the car. thye lied to us. i told the dealer if i am going to lose money oj this it will not be to them. now i am waiting on another dealer to call me back with an offer. can anyone there give any advise. we live in new hampshire
    I assume you have the hard retractable top, right? A 2008 with 14K on the clock--it must have been one of the earlier products, like May, June, July? I purchased a May-manufactured vehicle last July. It had so many things wrong and the dealer bent over backwards to fix each problem but without success. So I filed under VA's Lemon Law and got a brand new car, manufactured in November (I drove the lemon whle waiting for delivery of the replacement. Both my dealership and Chrysler were very accommodating. Can you claim resolution under the Lemon Law? I seems as though you are being given the run-around. Start documenting all problems and efforts to get the car repaired. Good luck.
  • lmarascalmarasca Member Posts: 2
    no jackie, its a vinyl top. and we bought it used. with 14 on it. we keep getting it can not be fixed from service dept at the dealership. would the can not be fixed come under the lemon law? like i said, we were told it is characteristic of the vehicle, but anyone i've spoken to has not a rattle in theirs. does your new car rattle.? what really bothers me is no one has even bothered to attemt to look at what the problem might be.
    Imarasca: I have a "cloth" top and, no, I have no rattles, squeeks, or such. In fact, my Sebring, Touring model, is unusually quiet for a convertible. Everything works exactly as it should--so far. With only 1800 miles on it in seven months (I'm retired), I don't want to speak too soon. If I could change anything, I'd have selected white. The inferno red is rather macho. This is my third Chrysler convertible, a 1990 LeBaron, a 2001 Sebring Touring, and the new one.

Re. the Lemon Law. Here in VA the law says the service dept. has to have made at least three unsuccessful attempts to correct the problem and/or, I'm not sure which, have had the vehicle in their shop for a total of 30+ days. Google your state's dept. of consumer services and navigate to vehicle lemon law. I believe every state has such a law. Be sure to document all the activities with dates, length of stay in the shop, etc. Have you complained in writing to Chrysler Corp. and tried to resolve the issued with them? This is a prerequisite before envoking the Lemon Law.

Good luck. Jackie h
    Imarasca, I am having the same issue right now! I have a Sebring with vinyl top and it is rattling on the rear right side. I went to the dealer this last week and they checked the noise and told me that the top will be replaced but they didn't have it and they will order and call me to bring the vehicle back as soon as it arrives. Let's see how much time it will take! By the way my car might be one of the first produced in April 2007 and it's @ 4k miles.
    I am having the same problem. Please let me know if you get a response.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I am having the same problem. Please let me know if you get a response.

That message was from more than two years ago. You might check one reply link shown below that another owner successfully repaired his with.

Sebring Convertible Loose Top
    The top on my 2008 was replaced and some stoppers were adjusted and the rattle is gone!
  • slowhand2slowhand2 Member Posts: 2
    How do i adjust my convertable top...1997 sebring jxi
  • niki2kidsniki2kids Member Posts: 1
    I am a fulltime student and just purchased my first conv. used. I am looking for a used top latch for my '01 sebring LX. Anyone know where to go for good used parts? I went to my local dealership, but the part is almost 300.00 without labor and as I am a poor student I would rather notpay that much.*L*
    Thanks for any help.
    P.S.
    Other than the Latch, I am just loving the car.
  • jstuart1jstuart1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have been having problems with my top rattling. I took your suggestions and went a step further. I applied the Velcro also on the area where the adjustment screw came in contact with the roof frame. This is located at the first hinged openings from the front side. Since I have a 2004 convertible Sebring I figured wear and tear wore out the padding there. I also applied the same type of Velcro on the rubber grommets over the post that guides the roof into the latches. It appeared that the rubber grommets had worn and the metal post may have been hitting the guide holes.
    I have also had problems with the latch pins wanting to work loose because the plastic bearings are worn down. I am fortunate to work at a place that I can have new bearings machined. I will probably wait until spring to do this. I took it for a test drive about an hour ago and no rattles, just squeaking between the weather stripping and the windshield. I can live with that.
    Also, I happened to have a strip of Velcro that has the soft side on one side and the ‘hooks’ on the other. It is used to wrap around an extension cord for example. I added that to the Velcro on the metal piece that the latch hooks into just for more tension.
  • jstuart1jstuart1 Member Posts: 2
    Refer to #28 & #82 :)
  • ldecampldecamp Member Posts: 1
    Greetings! This is my first time trying this.
    My 2000 sebring convertable opens just fine but when I try to close it it stalls out or does not even try to lift.
    Any ideas of what is wrong? :confuse:
    I have looked at the top closure hooks and it looks like they are screwed down as low as possible. Any ideas?

I wonder if I took them off and grinded them down shorter if that would work? Any one tried that?
    I have a similar problem & am looking for a solution also. Please let me know if you find out anything. I was thinking of unscrewing the top hooks and grinding down the screw to make it shorter. That would allow it to close tighter. Let me know if you try that.....

BigEEE
  • kcarbokcarbo Member Posts: 2
    They said the problem with mine was a switch that was going out on several of the 08 models. They replaced the switch, and I haven't had any problems since.
  • lvmycaglvmycag Member Posts: 2
    Do you know which switch, where it was located and/or the name of the switch?

Thanks!
  • lvmycaglvmycag Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 is doing the same thing. Have you fixed it?
  • trish22trish22 Member Posts: 1
    We have recently purchased a 2008 Sebring Convertible Touring, vynal top, built in April 2008. No problems with noise or with the retractible roof, everything seems to be smooth there however we have a problem that I have not seen mentioned previously. Just after owing the veh for 4 days, we took it thu a pressure car wash, and much to our surprise, we got wet. Water pourred in on both driver & passenger sides at the top of the windows close to the windshield. We immediately took it to dealer & showed them the problem. The next week the veh was in & they replaced the seal all along the top of the windshield. We had quite a bit of rain the next few days, no apparent leaks. They suggested we not take it thru car wash, however when we opened the doors, water poured dwn from roof on both sides, soaking the seats and floor as well as the electronics on the door. Took veh back today, dealership tried to see what they could do to fix it but it still leaks when door opens up. My dealership is going to contact engineering at head office to see what can be done. I don't like getting wet, but my main concern is that the water may short out the electronics or the wet floor may end up rusting under the carpet over time. Does anyone else have this problem and if so do they have any solutions?
  • pontiac1pontiac1 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2006 convertiable and the trunk will not lock shut. anyone know how to fix this problem?
  • tom259tom259 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sebring convertable. my problem is a top that will go down but will not go back up unassisted. Anyone have any ideas how this can be fixed?
  • cherieycheriey Member Posts: 1
    I am having a very difficult time finding somebody that will give me an answer on where to have my convertible window fixed. We didn't touch the window, and it simply broke into hundreds of glass pieces in my car.

I'm reluctant to take it to a dealership in San Diego, as ALL the Chrysler dealerships have bad ratings from consumers.

I love this car, but should have done more investigation before purchasing. Does anyone have a suggestion? It has to be glued in, which seems like a bad idea in the first place.
  • charlessrcharlessr Member Posts: 11
    my wife has a 2002 lxi with only 33k miles which is a great car.however the top on the right side (where the pin fits into the top of the windshield) sounds like metal hitting metal when ever we are on a bumpy or rough road..destroying an otherwise pleseant experience....I have owned several Chrysler convertibles going back to a 63 valiant..I have never had this problem..is it possible that the rubber seal on top of the windsheild needs replacing or is it some way to bolster that side? thanks
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I had an 1986 Lebaron convertible and the window shattered. I replaced it with a plastic window (no redefogger). I had to go to a custom shop to have the work done. It cost approximately $300 to have it done. The plastic was sewed to the canvas convertible top. Plastic is O.K if you don't need the rear defogger and don't want to worry about a glass window shattering again. Good luck.
  • bensurgeonbensurgeon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Lebaron and had the same problem. The roof would go down and not come back up. You need to replace the convertible relay switch.
  • menyou1menyou1 Member Posts: 3
    we have the same issue with our top. Did you ever get an answer?
    I did not get an answer...but taking a hint from another post...i put some Velcro in the actual cavity (where the pin fits into as weel as a couple of pieces around the outside of that cavity...took the car on the roads around my house where the rattles were most present and guess what..it works.....

now I ( and my b-in -law who also has one) have to find out how to correct where the issue where a portion of the top where it connects to the rear window is pulling away....
  • menyou1menyou1 Member Posts: 3
    our vinyl came loose there as well. I super glued it back down and it holds really well. I thought there would be some sort of adj. for the hooks to tighten them up
    thanks me too but I did not see an adjustment...the black Velcro really works and one can really not see it as an appearance detractor...and , in any case, the absence of noise is worth it..in my case we has some circular pieces of sticky back Velcro the is used to hang pictures and other objects.....I just cut them into halves and placed inside the cavity where the top pin fits..with of course the soft side out....and to ensure that there was not "bumping" from around the pin I placed a couple of pieces on the top of the cavity...works. fine

will try the super glue on the top
  • manutd1manutd1 Member Posts: 2
    hello... i am thinking of buying a 2000 jxi convertible. has about 88k on it. i kinda would like a general opinion from owners of the car on how it runs and problems around that milage area. honesty good and bad please would be appreciated. thanks all
    I have owned 3 of these ..and although the mileage did not exceed 50K on any ( my wife's cars) I have had no problems, major or minor, with any....so in spite of all of the consumer reports, etc critical comments about the Chrysler convertibles...I have had great experiences...I also had a valiant and dodge polara convertible..I have found them the best for the money...I would suggest you have a local trusted mechanic check the car for the obvious big ticket items...
  • annieceanniece Member Posts: 2
    Whatever you do...don't buy that car. I paid $10,000 for mine with 37,000 miles on it from CarMax in 2008 and I have put $8000.00 in repairs into it and mostly on the front end. I had to replace tie rod ends before 40,000 miles. It just broke down on me in the middle of the interstate...no gas going to car!!! It is a piece of feces and I want to drive it off a cliff!
  • annieceanniece Member Posts: 2
    I know I cannot be the only one with sooooo many problems with the front end of my car! and freeze plugs! I have replaced 3 freeze plugs and 2 of those were behind the transmission! I had 3 broken motor mounts as well. I have had to replace the tie rod ends, ball joints, tie rods, about 4 times in 8 months. I drive 1.5 miles each way to work on a freeway...not like I'm out racing around. I am a grandmother and not a racer. This car has only 67,000 original miles on it and I started with the front end @ 37,000 miles the 2nd week I had it!! I got it from CarMax who does the "125" point check. Bull----! I have had CarMax redo the paint due to overspray, the tie rod ends and brakes..these are things that were included in the " we don't buy till we check kthe 125 points" category. They give you 30 days to fix problems and after that it is extended warranty.
    Reall!!!!! Is there anyone else who has experience so many issues with Sebring JXI convertable?????
  • asiangemasiangem Member Posts: 4
    Interior wet on the front seats after a car wash:

I have a 2000 Sebring Convertible JX - after taking it to the car wash, the seats are wet on both the front driver's and front passenger side.

Does anyone else have this problem? I thought it might be the convertible seal around the top or the weatherstripping around the windows. The weatherstripping around the windows cost around $400...so if anyone out there figured out this problem.. I would really appreciate letting me know. :confuse:
  • eyeswideopen1eyeswideopen1 Member Posts: 1
    Had noise, went to mechanic, replaced struts and control arms, cost $1000. got good deal, however didn't solve noise. Now they say it is top. What is this noise and how do I fix it? :Thank you in advance.
  • susan_jsusan_j Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

My sister's 2005 Chrysler Convertible Sebring window broke last night when I was in the driver's seat, soon after I hit the little electronic switch, probably because just prior to hitting it, one of the sides of the roof was not unlatched all the way. When I noticed it was not, I stopped the process, yet before anyone knew what was happening, SPLASH - glass rained onto my sister in the back seat. Seems to have been because of a design flaw: the switch should have had a fail safe mechanism to prevent it from starting until both sides were properly unlatched. (Seems the unequal pressure on the glass from having one side of the roof start to go down and the other not is what caused the back window to shatter.)

That said, what to do? Has anyone had a similar situation? Seems this must not be all that uncommon. My hope is that Chrysler will do the right thing and replace the window at no cost to my sister. The closest dealer to her is probably in Los Angeles County.

Thanks for any/all help.

Susan