Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

PT Cruiser Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• chdabrenchdabren Member Posts: 16
    Reference to a reply by "fatdawgy" on Nov. 25, 2007 about "Re:PTmisfiring, engine bucking". I don't know where u got the information on 1682 and 1684 for "factory codes, much less telling someone that the speed sensors are located under the battery box. At this point, which speed sensors are u talking about? Input/Output speed sensors or wheel speed sensors? Second...why would u tell someone that if they don't replace these sensors in a "hurry" they'll have to replace the trans. control module? This is so not true. The speed sensors, do not harm the EATX module. They simply use a magnetic field to tell the module what speed the input and output clutch turbines are spining at. The EATX uses this information to determine shift points and actuate the solenoids in the trans soleniod pack as well as operate the speedometer. Wheel speed sensors simply tell the ABS module what speed each wheel is turning at. And simply replacing the Input/Output speed sensors DOES NOT clear codes. Codes don't clear on their own. Please don't give out misinformation. That is worse than misdiagnosing a problem that can ultimately cost ALOT of $$ for a simple problem. Failure of Input/Output speed sensors ONLY affects shift points and does NOT ruin an EATX module. IF the sensors fail OR if the EATX module does go bad, the trans usually will go into "limp in" mode which means only 2nd gear is available. Take this info and use it as u wish but it's info that is clear, concise and on the money. Not to mention it comes from a Master Certified Chrysler tech. It's also available on an exclusive Daimler/Chrysler website dedicated to Chrysler vehicles and available only to Chrysler Employees.
  • muledrmuledr Member Posts: 4
    HELP ME CHRIS (chdabren) I BOUGHT A 2001 CRUISER WITH A 2003 ENGINE INSTALLED AND NOT RUNNING. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET IT RUNNING OR FIND THE RIGHT PERSON TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENGINE WITH A 01.DEALER SAID CRANK SENSOR IS DIFFERENT AND WON'T WORK. CAN,T THINK SOMEONE HAS NOT RAN INTO PROBLEM THIS BEFORE. THANK YOU HELP TURN MY :sick: CRUISER INTO A :)
    ok.......first of all...u can't swap an '03 engine into an '01 PT. The controllers are different (computer), the crank sensor is different. The ground locations for the engine wiring harness are different. Why did u need to replace the motor? Or why was the motor replaced? You, my friend now have a 2,500 lb. paper weight. You can however, excersise a few options here. If you're lucky, you can swap in an '03 engine harness and MAYBE everything will match up, but you'll have to pay xtra special attention to little things....like the connectors for sensors. They have to be the same. The engine comptuers from year to year are different in that the software is different and you cannot "reprogram" them. On top of that, you can't just swap in an '03 computer because a "used" computer already has a VIN# programmed in from the vehicle it came out of. My advice? Simple, get a used 2001 engine and do a swap again OR get another car. You cannot swap engines like that. The dealership is right....it won't work!! If I can help further....just let me know. Good luck!
    I bought the PT with the engine installed and thought I could make it run, I like a challenge, but not this much....... Don't know what happened to the engine that was in it. The harness that is in it is from the '03 and all connectors hook up. I compared a 2001 DCX service manual (8W-30-6) FUEL/IGN SYS to a 2003 DCX 2003 service manual (8W-30-21) and found the pin locations and voltage at the supply different and was hoping I could change the power control module. looks like I will be looking for a '01 2.4 to swap or buy. :sick: thank you for the quick response and information.
    I just bought a new '06 Crossfire and on occasion have a dash noise that sounds like a circuit breaker coming on and off' and the blower motor fan does what it wants to whenever it wants to , its still under warranty but would like your opinion. Great car though. :) THANKS AGAIN
  • whguicewhguice Member Posts: 1
    December 2007
    Good to see post of this information - Have PT 2001 LTD at 92k , it did the mystery fog light on without prompt =dead battery, then would not shut off. After several attempts by local mechanic - fog lights went off - sure after reading the post here the problem will arise again. Did anyone discover a recall - local dealer said he did not see one or the problem flagged.
  • stinky5stinky5 Member Posts: 1
    I do not know what to do about the following codes
    po420/p0420 --p0700 --- p0562. My car started hesitating when I pushed the petal and when I stopped at red light it sound like a throttle. Help me on what to do so that I will not get riped off
  • jim342jim342 Member Posts: 4
    my 2001 cruiser 2.4l engine suddenly died. later started but unusual noise prompted me to shut it off, tow it in & have it checked. oil light was also on but level was fine & i had just had it changed 10 miles before problem. tech checked & said oil send unit was bad & crank position sensor is defective. replacing these items & plugs has not solved no start problem. after checking blogs on p.t. problems see overfill of oil can turn light on & bad o2 sensor or kinked wire can kill sensors!!! monday i'll request those things be checked. any other suggestions?.
    i have 2001 p. t. cruiser 2.4l non-turbo with 81000 mi. i had just had an oil change & tire rotation about 15 mi prior to this malfunction. while driving i had noticed the oil light on but checked & level was fine. a few minutes later on highway the engine stalled (xmas eve). openned hood & could smell oil but none seem & still checked fine. let it sit 10 minutes, it restarted but uncommon engine noise prompted me to shut it off & have towed to nearest available shop open on xmas eve, a chevy dealer. tech started & drove it but it stalled again & would not restart. tech advises battery tested week, crank position sensor tested bad, oil pressure send unit bad, & plugs fouled. replaced theses items but still no start. also tried a new coil, but still no luck. fuel pressure & injector function checks out ok.
    monday i will try calling a chrysler dealer to request ideas. understand dailmer chrysler has a dealer only accessable website for help & perhaps they can check the database for recommended recall services suggested versas those performed on my vehicle. any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.
    i have a 2001 p t cruiser with 81000miles. upon occasion when i unlock the door with the key the alarm goes off. upon occasion the automatic door locks do not function. so far this has only been an aggravation. hope it stays that way.
    p.s. it has the 5 speed & gets 21mpg
    called a friend who is a certified tech for chrysler dealer in my home town. he believes my no start stuation maybe the pcm (ecm). the dealer believes this will be covered by my extended warranty. hard to get good answers as chrysler home office closed for holidays.
  • rebgonefishingrebgonefishing Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any idea how many miles that I can
    expect out of my p.t. crusier before the engine needing a complete rebuilding ? This would be on maintaining it
    by factory specs .

reb
    rebgonefishing@yahoo.com
  • ptinkptink Member Posts: 13
    help i have a 2003 chysler pt curs. and for the last 2 weeks I have had problems,
    it ran hot (but not up in the red) on a real cold day (18 over nite ) and i was told it was the thermastat well changed that and 2 days later i drove the car 35 miles and the needle never went off the C on the guage, took cap right off the radiater when I stopped and put finger in the water was cold!!!! , changed the thermastat again (figured it was a bad one) ran great for 2 days ... the temp. started to rise again...???
    no leaks no steam no hissing no nothing.... any guessess?? oh the water pump, and fan are working fine please help i love my car
  • manyhootmanyhoot Member Posts: 2
    my wife just traded her 2001 pt cruiser in on a 2007 with 15,000 miles on it at a Chrysler dealership. The car was purchased on jan.2,2008 and at the time we asked where the block heater was as any car that is built for Canada has to come with a block heater. Anyway my wife took the car back to the dealer today so that it could be put up on the hoist to see where the block heater is and they informed her that there is no block heater because the short block has been replaced. Needless to say we were shocked, as the salesperson and dealer should have known about this before they sold us the vehicle. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening. I am going into the dealership tomorrow to see where I can go with this. My wife loved her 2001 and now I think we should have kept it.
    Ok...we're gonna end this nonsense once and for all. I've decided that, for the most part, people do need some help with these PT (pile of tird) Cruisers and since I can be of most help, no matter how that help can come, I will continue giving advice but in a different tone. But...since someone decided to call my bluff.....please visit www.ase.com and click on the link for "master technicians" and then enter this # on the white box .....284385...then click "go". It's gonna come up with my name, my dealership including home phone, shop phone, etc, it's also going to show u all the certifications I have A1 thru A8 and L1, L2 and L3 (the highest achievable level of certification). You'll also see listed with my name the following..."Chrysler Master Certification" with an expiration date of August 9th 2014. So, if any of you wish to call my boss and tell him what I'm doing with VIN #'s and such, go ahead...I dare ya!! See what he says to you!! ANNNNYWAY.......now that I've proven myself, let's move on from this nonsense and get to solving some pertinent issues, such as why the PT was built in the first place...hahaha. I guess since no one here appreciates straight forward answers, we'll have to do things the wierd way and beat around the bush. Don't forget to check my stats now.... :)
    Hi manyhoot.....the engine block heater on her PT actually replaces a core plug in the block. It should be on the back side (firewall side) of the block. It has a cord coming out of it and it installs with a pressure screw that sandwiches a rubber disc between 2 washers. Very easy to install. I'm not sure why they would have had to replace a short block engine with only 15k miles on it, maybe you can find out and let us all know. Anyway, I hope this info helps! :)

Chris
  • manyhootmanyhoot Member Posts: 2
    It is early in the morning here so i haven't been to the dealership yet, but I did come across an interesting TSB subject last night on the internet. It is TSB 09-07 and it is dated 3/13/07. Here is the subject,

2.4L Engine Oil Gallery Misdrilled- A small number of 2.4L naturally aspirated engines may have been built with a misdrilled #1 oil gallery in the block. This will result in engine knocking and engine failure.

I'm assuming that the dealership should have a list of all warranty work that was done on this car and now I realize that I should have asked before we bought it.
    We will see how I make out at the dealership this morning.

chris... thanks for the info on the block heater
    Responding to Shawn's message. I see Shawn is a neutral individual. I liked the quote about Voltaire. I decided to Google it and sure enuf, u're right on the money. VERY powerful statement. Freedom of speech is a constitutional right. One that cannot be taken away from anyone. If we can't speak our minds...how do we express our feelings properly?? But, in line with that, I'll say this...I will continue to offer valuable information and advice and answer people's questions. I will be as polite as possible, however, if I think ur problems with your car are caused by something you're doing...I will say so. It really is that simple. Ever hear of the saying "I'd rather be hurt by truth, then destroyed by lies"....provocative, don't u think? Inasfar as the personal information I get from Chrysler, that information is primarily used to trace warranty information and recall work that has been done to your car since new. It's not designed to divulge excess amounts of personal information. Never has been, never will be. It does provide addresses and phone #'s as it is connected with "owner information" from when the car was new. It gives us information dealing with various warranties the vehicle has. If any of you think that I would take advantage of information like that, you really need to soul search yourselves. I'd never steal anyone's information.....#1 it's illegal, #2, it's immoral and #3, I have a family to think about and would never put them in a position of having to "survive" w/out me. I'm sole provider for my home. As far as my sending emails during the day, I check my personal email at lunch time and various times throughout the course of the day, same as many of u. If I have an email that needs prompt attention...such is paid. I am on a computer several times a day as I have to search for TSB's (technical service bulletins) as they relate to my work. At times, while I'm waiting for software to download to update a mainframe of a car's computer, I will check emails and respond. It's not like no one else here does the same.....right? :) If anyone out there doesn't do "personal" business on the company's computer during business hours....feel free to speak up. Cause the odds are...it's a first. Anyway......I've said all I need to say. When I joined this site, and filled out my profile, I very clearly stated I was an "in your face" person. VERY straight up. I'm sorry I've offended so many people. I really am!! I will try to be nicer and provide only the advise and information anyone needs. If I do ask you for a VIN# , it's SOLELY to verify any warranty information ON YOUR BEHALF!! That way if a dealership is bullsh**ing you about warranty repairs....I will tell you....that way you don't get screwed. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go into a dealer "armed to the teeth" with warranty information that can save u ALOT of $$?? Sure it would....that's all I intend to do..is better prepare you. So, I'll tone it down a bit and help out anyone who needs/wants help. I've already had one member give me a VIN# and I faxed her information about her warrranty that is about to save her over $2,000. Ask her if I did her wrong!!! You want a name...I'll give you a name!! So please accept my apologies...and let's start over!! :)

Chris
  • beastofsteelbeastofsteel Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 and replace my plugs myself at 40,000 mile intervals and the first time I did that, the wires were difficult to remove and broke easily. I was prepared for that and also replaced the wire set with a higher quality wire set from Standard automotive wire set and used the die elctric grease that came with the set on the boots. At 80,00 miles I replaced the plugs again with no damage to the wires at all, I will replace the wires again at my 120,000 mile plug change. I know if I didn't have new wires at the first plug change, I would have not been able to complete the job. I would expect that your PT probly uses similar quality wires as my 2001 PT.
  • beastofsteelbeastofsteel Member Posts: 3
    I assume that the coolant level is not low since you replaced the thermostat twice. Possibly you may need a new radiator cap due to extreme changes in coolant temps, also make sure the radiator is not restricted or plugged with debris. Also I know that you probly made sure the thermostat installed you made sure the jiggle valve is in the proper location in the thermostat housing. I hope I was of help, I recently replaced my cap and thermostat at 103,000 miles on my PT.
  • evesgirdevesgird Member Posts: 2
    I really hope your a God Send. I tried to look up your credentials at the ASE site, but the link to master technicians seems to have vanished. Oh Well. Anyway, my Cruiser seems to be missfiring, and so they changed the Crank shaft position sensor, only that seems to have made it worse. Apparently the old one was stalling at about 4000 rpm, every so often making the car thump, and the idle was a bit off. They now tell me it might be the computer or the ignition something or other. What can I do to get this problem resolved without giving up my car for another week. Please help me!!!!
    Sabine
    Here I sit trying to figure out why they would replace a crank sensor for a misfire condition...while it IS possible...it's remote at best. Was there a code from the computer? Did anyone check the simple stuff like plugs, wires or coil pack? Did anyone test the primary and secondary ignition circuits? It's also possible the computer just needs an update. Those are a few ideas for you to try. I really wish I had the car right here in front of me. As far as the ASE page...I did check it and u're right....seems they've done away with it...my apologies, but I am very much so Master Certified and they don't xpire until June of 2011. Anyway....good luck!! Get back to me with more information if u can.

Chris
  • evesgirdevesgird Member Posts: 2
    We replaced the plugs, that was the first thing, and the sensor was stalling at 4000 rpm. He checked the ignition circuit too, though I don't know about the second one, I'll ask. The computer has had the latest update of TCB stuff too. Apparently, he can make it fire in perfect sequence without the computer. He said something about the computer receiving the right signal, but not returning the right info to the ignition?! Does that make any sense?

As for you ASE, I trust you, that's why I contacted you. Anyone whose willing to give out that info, must be for real. Mike is my mechanic and he too is certified by ASE, he's just not a Chrysler guy. As for having it in front of you... well unless you can teleport to Lancaster, CA (edge of the Mojave Desert, best place to the middle of nowhere), I doubt I can accomodate that. Though... if it's not too much trouble is there a way I can contact you either via phone or email if he can't get this resolved.

You can contact me at: evesgird@verizon.net

Sincerely
    Sabine
  • margescruisermargescruiser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 pt cruiser and the Mopar battery shorted out.I replaced the battery but my electric door locks,dome light.auto door locks,radio don't work. I have checked all fuses and they are all good.With car running the odometer says no fuse! They want 119.00 dollars to put the car on the machine to find the problem and it is a .50 cent fuse somwhere
  • rebgonefishingrebgonefishing Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.

Bob
  • mdbcrtmdbcrt Member Posts: 1
    ">Now this is very interesting. After all the hype and mention of being ASE certified, on the top of the mechanic's hierarchy, and the challenge to "find out the facts", it turns out that either you are NOT who you say you are, or you dont know your own credentials that well........

I took the challenge you posted on this page 10-Jan-2008 and found that you (#284385 aka RWCarroll) actually have been expired since Jul-2001. No one has to take my word for it, though. All anyone has to do is request a Cert form at the ASE website, fax it in to ASE @ 703-669-6122 and you will get a response within two days.

You actually did not prove anything about yourself...
  • texasptdrivertexasptdriver Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 PT is experiencing the fog lamp switch problem. I bought the car new in November 2001 and it has 45,000 careful miles on it. I had experienced the problem last year, but I was able to turn the light off. I went out to drive the car yesterday and it wouldn't unlock with the remote, so I opened with the key and discovered a very dead battery. I hooked up my car starter/battery charger (at about 9PM) and every light came on with the alarm blaring as loud as it could. I was unable to turn anything off, so I disconnected the battery charger. It was like the car was possessed by the Devil. I am at a loss at what to do. I will probably have to tow it to a mechanic, hopefully not the Mopar dealer. I am curious to find out what the rest of you have done to fix this perplexing problem.
  • racingmadmanracingmadman Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 2004 cruiser that has just started having the same problem
    i was just wondering if you have found out what is causing this problem?
    Thanks Ray
  • enufalreadyenufalready Member Posts: 4
    In a word.... no.

It has been a year since our PT was possessed (see my previous posts in the #60-65 range on this board) and, as I said before, the problem...just...stopped... happening. Wish I could give a reason, but the only thing that was changed by the mechanic was a perfectly good fuse ~ and it is only because I insisted on it that he changed that.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself now.

I don't know if this is good news or not to you, but from our experience it is best to take it to a competent independent mechanic and not a dealership. The dealer's solution is to start replacing wiring harnesses at $500 a pop until the problem goes away. The indie gearhead is more practical and economic. Just be prepared to be without the car for a period of time as it will not be a quick 'fix'. Our guy had the car a week the last time. But since he couldn't find the problem and did no changeouts, he didn't charge us a dime for it. I love the guy! He's in Mount Vernon, WA.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I hooked up my car starter/battery charger (at about 9PM) and every light came on with the alarm blaring as loud as it could. I was unable to turn anything off, so I disconnected the battery charger

Well, I'd start by disconnecting the negative battery cable before you try to charge it. After it is fully charged reconnect the cable and see if the problem goes away.

Weird things have been known to happen when the operating voltage is too low. On my old car I knew my battery was low when the wipers would come on automatically.
  • gary64gary64 Member Posts: 1
    Pardon me for jumping in but I am new to this site and am trying to find out what is causing the ENGINE LIGHT to stay on also in my PT Crusier 2.4 L engine and the scanner code says PO128 -coolant temp below thermostat and then there is a "
    2" PENDING- I need a repair manual! G. Poling
  • ptuserptuser Member Posts: 2
    I had the original battery replaced on my 2002 PT Cruiser Ltd at Sam's Club on March 13. The terminals and cables were corroded so they cleaned the terminals (not the corrosion on the cables) but did not replace the cables. On March 14, after using a half tank of gas bought at the usual place, the engine malfunction light came on. I checked the gas cap and it's tight. The car runs fine however there is a bing when I first start up. I read that I can hurt the engine by continuing to run it with the light on and I should take it to the dealer.

What can be the problem? :sick: Any opinions?
    I believe places like AutoZone still offer a free diagnostic code scan. Call around some of the big chain auto parts stores and ask.

The dealer is going to charge you a big fee just for scanning the fault code, before he even fixes anything.
  • joeboujoebou Member Posts: 1
    I need to add coolant to my 2004. lost the manual, under the hood it says special coolant. which brand do I need. please help!!!
  • neveragain8neveragain8 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2004 pt cruiser new. The vehicle had electrical concerns when I owned it two years. The door locks would go up and down by themselves. I nicknamed her Christine and took it to the dealership. It was a door lock actuator.
    Covered by the warranty. I have had to replace the battery twice. Last October I was driving up a grade on the freeway and the car made a horrible noise and started smoking and stalled on the 101. Very scary there was smoke in the car and fluid leaking all around.
    I had it towed to a Chrysler dealership and they told me that it was a clutch and they needed to replace the clutch assembly. The vehicle had 27k miles on it!
    This was not covered. So we paid for the checkout and towed it to a dealership where I worked and they took it apart and told us it was the clutch assembly flywheel, the trans case had a huge hole in it!
    This should have been seen if it was taken apart by the Chrysler dealership
    The vehicle has been hesitating for the past three weeks and the check engine light came on. We replaced the gas cap and the light went off. Well now the light is back on and now hesitates when I turn on the heater or a/c. Any suggestions
    besides trading it in on a honda?
    which brand do I need.

Click here: PT Cruiser Recommended Antifreeze
    Well now the light is back on and now hesitates when I turn on the heater or a/c. Any suggestions

A good start would be to learn what is producing the fault code. Ask some of the big chain auto parts stores if they still do a free code scan. I know AutoZone used to but it's been a few years since I last had one done.
  • neveragain8neveragain8 Member Posts: 2
    My husband thinks we need to disconnect the battery cables. and see if the code goes away. I think this a bad idea knowing the history of this vehicle. thanks for your suggestion of taking it to autozone but there is not one around here and I am going to drive it the few miles to my work and have them check it out. Just another bill to pay.
    My husband thinks we need to disconnect the battery cables. and see if the code goes away.

The fault light will probably go away but if it is still an active fault it will reappear within a few days. It might be something as simple as a bad spark plug wire.

I had defective oxygen sensor in another car. I would reset the fault by disconnecting the negative battery cable but the light would come back on several days later. I eventually took it to Autozone and they scanned the code. I replaced the bad sensor, cleared the code one last time and everything was fine.

Any suggestions besides trading it in on a honda?

I think I'd rather pedal my bike to work in the rain and snow. :sick:
  • kathymarcinkiekathymarcinkie Member Posts: 1
    I'LL TELL YOU I JUST BOUGHT A PT 2007 WITH ONLY 27,800 MI ON IT THIS WEEK MARCH 20,08 AND THE SAME THING HERE BUT WORSE!! I HAD IT ONE WEEK AND I GO OUT IN THE MORNING SOMEWHERE COME BACK AND IT WONT TURN OVER ITS LIKE NOTHING!! LIKE ITS COMPLETELY DEAD!! IT HAPPENED AGAIN TODAY BUT THIS TIME WHEN I TRIED TO START IT THE 2ND TIME AROUND IT DID SOMETHING FUNNY,IT STARTED ALL MESSED UP LIKE THE WHOLE CAR WAS JWERKING THE MOTOR WAS WEAK AND MADE A NASTY BANGIN NOISES THE CAR WAS LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE!! JUMPIN UP AND DOWN THE ENGINE WAS NOT RUNNING WELL,SO I SHUT IT OFF TRIED TO START IT AGAIN,DID THE SAME THING,SO I SAT THERE 5 MIN RESTARTED IT ,IT THEN STARTED LIKE NEW LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED BACK TO NORMAL? ITS AT THE DEALERSHIP THEY DID ALL THE TESTS DIAGNOSTIC IT ALL CAME BACK NORMAL? THEY TEST DROVE IT ,WAS OK? IT DONT HAPPEN EVERYDAY BUT IN THE MORNING AFTER IM SOMEWHERE IT'LL DO IT ONCE IN A WHILE? I KNOW THIS IS NOT NORMAL I GOT SCREWED BY KIA CAUSE THEY SOLD ME THE PT CRUISER AND CHRYSLER HAS THE WARRENTY BUT CHRYSLER WONT EVEN GIVE ME A RENTAL CAR SO IM IN THE COLD!! YES THE LIGHTS AND GAGES DO RESPOND LIKE YOU SAID BUT MY CAR ACTS LIKE IT HAS SERIOUSE BAD GAS IN IT OR SOMETHING?LOL :mad:
  • rox2rox2 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact problem with my 2001 Limited. I just paid my Chrysler dealer to tell me what the problem IS NOT. Fuses, relay, light switch. We had already relplace all of these. So we knew that! Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
  • hzleyeshzleyes Member Posts: 2
    Our problem was when the car was in a wreck and they replaced the front headlight they pinched the wire harness for the lights and over time it corrouted and caused a short which effected the dash lights and no rear lights
  • rox2rox2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.

Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • moeglymoegly Member Posts: 1
    I don't care about credentials, it just means you studied a little more, I just want someone to help with my freaking problem. This car is all I own and it has to run right. The brake lights and running lights just stopped working and it sucks. Can't afford to go to dealership. I am too danged poor. So if anyone with or without credentials can help, plz do so. And for the one who has the credentials, he is doing a good thing so back off for a bit.
    Without knowing more details, the first thing I'd recommend checking are the fuses. The ones pertaining to the lights that are not working should be listed on the inside of the fuse box cover, if you don't have your owner's manual available.
  • tomquinn3tomquinn3 Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like it could be the timing belt. How many miles do you have on the car? Recommended miles to replace the Timing Belt and Water Pump is about 100,000 miles. I just had my belt and water pump (recommend changing both at the same time due to cost) and it ran me about $475.00.
  • drounds1drounds1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 PT Crusier Limited model that after 90k miles the check engine light keeps coming on. First it was for the oxygen sensors. These were replaced. The next day the check engine light comes on for the same issue. This time the computer was reset again. The next day the light is on again, this time for a power steering switch. The mechanic said this was a very rare issue. It was reset and a week later the light is on again. My question is, does the check engine light come on for the 90k mile service? Thanks.
  • ptinkptink Member Posts: 13
    just wanted to put a warning out there, i have read alot of this post and have seen some of you with the same problems i had with my 2003 pt it stated running hot and they changed the water pump 850.00 then 2 days later it ran hot again changed thermastat 85.00 2 days later 109.00 for a sensor and to flush the radiartor then SURPRIZES 1 day later they can't believe it but the head is cracked all this from a chysler dealership you would have thought they knew what they where doing...
    well i am a single mom and my mother before she passed bought me this car, paid cash and so i had no car notes. the dealer said all he could give me was a down payment on a used car .... and i only had the choice of 1 (that right ONE car) on the whole lot well long story short i need a car i took it now i know am i trouble it's a 2005 kia sadona van 13600.00 / 325.00 a month hope this does not happen to you .... :cry:
    it's a 2005 kia sadona van 13600.00 / 325.00 a month

Hmm...I just checked the retail value of a Sedona LX in excellent condition. With the basic trim and 45,000 miles on the odometer it has a Blue Book retail value of $12,180. If you have the higher end model (Sedona EX) it's worth $13,870.

Anyway, that price for replacing the water pump sounds like typical dealer service department high prices. Call around next time to some of the independent repair shops and have them give you a quote.

I know it's too late to do anything about your Cruiser repairs but you may have something go wrong with a vehicle later.