Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Have your battery checked. Since I changed mine I have a totally different truck :shades:
    I think my battery was broken inside and not demanding charge at a steady rate. Since the battery isn't always getting charged, the engine can be "unplugged" from the alternator for a short time and stall.
  • jwoodspvjwoodspv Member Posts: 1
    The Ac went out about 3 weeks ago, a week before it went it stopped for a few minutes and started back again. the symptoms are:

Will not blow A/C, fan, or heat unless car is moving
    Refrigerant level seems to be ok

I've seen the posts about the resistor and relay replacement will either of these help?
  • tkierskytkiersky Member Posts: 1
    angel63. I have an 06 Liberty Diesel. I wanted to have daytime running lights and found that the relay in the fuse panel, (next to the drivers door), was removed. I took one of the relays from the fuse box in the engine compartment and plugged it in. The lights came on and stayed on no matter what I did, so I took the relay out. The question is...is the relay for the DRL different than the ones in the front fuse panel? The dealer could not answer the question. The dealer did say that the stock headlights would work just fine and the power would be less than if the regular headlight was on.
  • jamesbondmi6jamesbondmi6 Member Posts: 2
    The turn signals swithch on the OMIX Mult fuctional does not work but all the other fuctions work find on the main switch? Note: The 4 Way flashers work find!
  • jeepgirl22jeepgirl22 Member Posts: 2
    same thing has been happening to me for 3yrs, no one can understand why, but its scary as hell.
    right now i have a different problem, grinding sound while backing up..not all the time.

but i think the flashing lights has somehting to do w/the factory installed alarm/door lock key thingy....
  • tedladdtedladd Member Posts: 2
    My 06 CRD has an annoying radio issue: after a few hours of happy driving with my tunes, the radio cuts out, then immediately back in, then out, etc. Usually happens about 5 times in a row, then waits for another 10 minutes, then does it again. When it restarts, it begins playing the CD/radio station exactly where it left off.

It seems to happen more often 1) a few hours into a drive and 2) when the car starts to coast (i.e. downhill, as opposed to receving power uphill).

My dealer has already replaced the radio once, and the problem keeps happening. Is this a problem with:
    a) the battery? Will a replacement cure it?
    b) the alternator? How to check and fix this?
    c) the fuse (this seems unlikely, since the clock doesn't reset)
    d) the Jeep radio? If I install a 3rd party radio, will it stop? (but I'd hate to lose the radio controls on the steering wheel; those are handy)

My dealer has expressed confusion. He can't fix it unless I can recreate the problem for him in the shop. My solution to date is to carry my iPod headphones with me to bypass the radio altogether until my patience returns - not an optimal situation! Since I live in Wyoming and it takes 5 hours of driving to get anywhere, this is a real drag.

Ideas?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When your radio and CD cut out, do their indicator lights also go out?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tedladdtedladd Member Posts: 2
    THe radio's display goes black and then restarts. The other electronics in the car do not seem to waiver.

There is also a loud click each time that the radio turns off. I can't tell if it's coming from the radio on my right or the fuse panel on my left.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The symptoms seem to point to radio/CD unit as being defective. Yes, you had it replaced, but it's possible the replacement was defective too particularly if it was the same model and manufacturer. Perhaps someone else has better insights. Anyone?

Incidentally, I've read a couple other posting describing similar problems. You may want to look at them though, unfortunately, no one seems to have found a resolution to those.

Rodeo Alternator and different radio

Changed Alternator Belt - Now No Power to Radio Only

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • knittejmknittejm Member Posts: 1
    Intermitantly while driving or idling intrument cluster gauges bottom out, check engine light comes on. lasts for a few seconds then returns to normal light goes out gauges back. sometimes when this happens odometer says"no bus".
    noticed sometimes tach needle slow to catch up to acutal rpm. sometimes the headlamp brights indicator flashes when none of the other stuff is happening. Jeep dealership told me theres a problem with my bus line that about 7 different things use to communicate. they advised me to replace the ign switch cause they said it takes the most abuse. of course that didnt fix it. anyone else experience inst. cluster problems similar to this or bus line problems? if so what fixed it. Jeep dealership dosnt seem to have a clue nor do they seem to know how to test those things on the bus line. all they have been good for is hooking up there scanner and telling me the code. i can do that i have my own generic scanner!!! then they want to throw parts at it and had me replace ign switch to start. i could have taken it any place and thrown parts at it. my confidence in the Jeep dealership in regards to trying to find the source of the problem is gone. sure whens its under waranty they delve deep into the problems but when its customer pay they just wanna throw parts at it and not take any time to test the different modules on that bus line.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    These things take patience but yes you are completely correct--the technician should be testing each module for a bad connector or for internal short. Now this type of tedious diagnostic isn't cheap but you really have no other choice. Sounds like your biggest challenge right now is to find a competent dealership or repair shop.
  • carl44carl44 Member Posts: 1
    My wife was driving down the interstate about midnight, and the headlights went off, and came right back on. That happened 3 times in about 5 minutes. Never before, that she knew of, and not since. Any ideas of why, and how to locate the problem would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd say a screwy headlight relay or loose wire to/from, would be my first guess, and my second guess a faulty headlight switch or loose wire to/from same.
  • tstubbs457tstubbs457 Member Posts: 1
    similar problem in a 2002--- put out over $100 in diagnostics---
    to no avail---
    dealership had "no clue"---
    and it looked like hundreds to thousands to get resolved---
    Jeep "knows nothing about this.."--- although there is a lot on the internet and many other mechanics are aware of problem--- but do not have the expensive test equipment of the dealerships---
    finally fixed the problem by trading it in on replacement....
    peace,
    -t.
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    I have the exact problem on our 02 Liberty. Doing some reading & research with a factory service manual, I believe that I have a bad body control module. Will schedule a trip to the dealer for next week - and I will post here what the problem ends up being.

As to your comment about the dealer having "no clue" I intend to find a competent delaership to diagnois this problem. These dealers have a ton of resources available to them, but I will admit there are some bad-apple dealers out there.
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Feel rather silly asking how to replace a front parking light/turn signal bulb, but two things are against me, its my first Jeep product and I tried doing it at dusk. Passenger side, not much room to work in and not so easy to see around the hoses, wire harness and washer fluid tube. I can see the wire plug - it seems to have a red clip or red locking button on it?? Do you have to take the plug off first? Or can you just turn/twist it to open like on many other vehicles? I am assuming you replace the bulb from the back and not via the front lens cover removal?
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Nevermind, got it, the lens assembly comes out from the front and then can change the bulbs easily.
  • dacjeepgrldacjeepgrl Member Posts: 1
    I could have swore I saw this question before but I cannot find it now. Our '02 Liberty's dome lights have been coming on and going off on their own. Some times they will flash on and off and other times they're on for a bit before they shut off. There was a point where it didn't happen for a whole then the other day it started up again. Dealership is of no help. They look at me like I am crazy.
  • michelle_gmichelle_g Member Posts: 1
    Did this problem ever get resolved? I have a 2003 Jeep and the same thing has been happening. My regular mechanic was not able to fix it. He said maybe it was a bad relay but they were not able to fix it.
  • lunchbox59lunchbox59 Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the suggestions but am unable to get the wiring harness out from the resistor. The red clip was out. (now it's off) Are there clips or a release on the side?
  • terry1014terry1014 Member Posts: 1
    i left my keys in the ignition on acc. all night after i had used it to lower the windows a bit to dry up some wet carpet. of course, the battery was dead the next day, so i jumped it. had a bit of difficulty starting but after 10 minutes of cables on, it did start. i drove it around for about 20 minutes and have had no problem with it since. but, the radio is now dead. no clock, no nothing. anyone know what could have caused this?
    Hi---just visiting this topic and thought I'd intrude if nobody minds, to make a few comments regarding SAFETY!

Your battery is not charged up by any means and this might be causing your problems. You should (next time!) never jump start a completely dead-dead-dead battery (extremely dangerous) and never use your alternator to charge up a completely dead battery, or you'll be buying a new alternator if you do that repeatedly.

So put the battery on a charger (slow charge, overnight) and see how things are working. Your car's various computers and microprocessors will malfunction when the battery is weak.

Good luck and I hope others here have more good tips for you!
    Visiting Host
  • nunsianunsia Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Liberty. My heat stopped working two days ago when I was at a light. As soon as I started moving the heat comes back on.
    Help! How expensive is this to fix?
  • pvan1pvan1 Member Posts: 3
    When I had this problem 2yrs ago on my 02 Liberty, it was the relay switch that needed replacement. In fact I think I found the diagnosis on this forum. The problem I had was that the blower fan was unpredictable. It would come on after an initial start but not blow after stopping for gas or for an errand. Then it would come on after driving a mile or so.The relay is located in the box near the battery --front left.

If I recall correctly,the cost was between $13-$15. The part was available at a dealer. :)
  • rbevans78rbevans78 Member Posts: 1
    MY DAUGHTERS 2006 LIBERTY KEEPS BLOWING THE RIGHT REAR TAILLIGHT BULD, WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.
    Could the bulbs or the holder be loose?
  • julesfitzyjulesfitzy Member Posts: 1
    hi there,
    I've been having some issues with my '07 Liberty in the winter months. Last year, at first frost the left blinker would turn on when starting the car. using the blinker would not turn it off, nor would turning left to get that " blinker off click" . After running the car for about 20 mins it would stop.

After a trip to the dealer, they said they could not recreate the problem. it would happen sporadically for the next month, then stopped. This winter, first morning of frosty temperatures and it happenend again. I went right to the dealer, and they thought it would be the BCM, so they replaced it. the next day it happened again, so clearly not the BCM.
    This morning, the blinker and the "door open" dinging were going off ( neither the door was opened nor the blinker lever pressed). It is currently back at the dealer, but not confident they will get it right this time.

Has anyone been experiencing these or similar electrical issues. The car is a lease, so honestly I don't car if they have to rip the car apart to fix it but it is a bit dangerous to be driving around with the blinker going and not really taking that left turn...

Thank you for any advice!
  • rlenzenrlenzen Member Posts: 3
    I am having exactly the same problem with my 2002 Liberty. Automatic door locks, speedometer, headlights, interior lights and outside temp digital,do not work. (directional digital works, which is right next to temp digital, odd) . I checked the owners manual and it does not have circuit breakers listed. :confuse:
    Having exactly the same problem. Did your dealer resolve it? :confuse:
    Where did you find a BCM to replace your bad one? Is this a dealer only product?
    Thanks
  • dtemplerdtempler Member Posts: 1
    In my 2005 CRD, stepping on the brakes caused my head lights (in low beam) and instrument cluster to glow really bright. This problem just started suddenly while driving and it kept happening until finally the fuses for the driver side tail + front marker light and right front low beam finally blew. Once the fuses blew everything else worked normally again (including cluster lights). When I replace the fuses the lights all work until I start driving and using the brakes, then they blow again.

I haven't started looking for the surge yet but I will once I get a hold of a wiring diagram. Any ideas where to start. I have seen some postings about cluster light and tail light fuses blowing already I'm thinking the problems may be related.
    Since you have time to observe 'something changes', this means there is only a bit more than the nominal load on the fuse. I would look for damaged wires in a bundle, "chewed or missing isolation" or eventually a trace of metallic dust/debris near or inside the fuse holder (BCM) where the connectors are plugged.
    A missing ground connection will make 'more than one' circuits glow without blowing a fuse; this is typical for tail lights.
    In your case, you seem to have several 'outgoing circuits' connected together.

Open the large trap located underneath the steering (where you hit your knees) and you will see most of the wiring related to the Body Control Module normally accessible when the left door is opened to replace the fuses.
  • pserratapserrata Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I am having some trouble with I believe is aelectrical, also according to the codes I've gooten from the diagnosis computer.... as I drive there are times where the RPM'S go crazy on me , and goo all over the place then the Jeep shuts off, then it starts again after trying hard for a dew minutes.... the engine light comes up , and I took it to O'rellys and got the diagnosis machine hooked up and the code was P0320 , I then went to ALLDATA and found out this was someting related to the CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR, which I immediately change , also put in new spark plugs as the jeep has 80k miles and I beilve they have never been change...the jeep keeps turning off while I drive adn the engine light keeps coming on...I have to say that this problem started about a month ago right after I filled up my tank at a close by gas station..I don't know if this problem is related to gasoline,,,please help
  • jswatjswat Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have a 2006 Liberty where 3 lights will go on, on the instrument panel (see page 171 of Owners Manual). I will hear a binging noise (3X) & then the ABS light (#9), the ESP/BAS light (#30), & the Electric Stability Program light (#31) will go on. When this happens the car will not accelerate (I was stuck in an intersection this morning & almost got hit. The lights will stay on & the car will accelerate again after about 10 seconds. The lights will all stay on until I bring the car into my dealer to fix the problem. This will be the 4th time in the last 2 years that I have to bring my car into the dealer to have them fix this. All 4 times it has happened when there is snow on the ground. It’s a scary feeling to be stuck like this & I’m wondering if there is some thing that my dealer is missing. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • gunnar2gunnar2 Member Posts: 11
    hi,
    anyone know if it is possible to add an input for an mp3 player to the liberty radio?? e.g. under the dash with a wire and a plug would be sufficient.
    this applies to a 2006 crd with a radio/6 cd combination.
  • wpatrickwpatrick Member Posts: 4
    Had a similar problem. Mine was caused by the trailer lighting package. Mine was an aftermarket, not factory installed. I replaced the trailer wiring harness and this cleared the problem.
  • BrandonD1968BrandonD1968 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post on here so I'm hoping for some guidance. My wife has an 04' Liberty. I'm not sure when it started, but the front drivers marker light, driver rear tail light, keep going out, sometimes when I turn the headlights off, they dont actually go off until I turn the knob again. Also the CD player works only occasionally. I'm kinda thnking the problem is in the steering column somewhere.

I havent trouble shot this problem in awhile, but previouly, I know I've replaced fuses. One thing I did notice is that the fuse box diagram in the owners manual DOES NOT reflect the fuse box thats in our Liberty. Some of the ocations of the fuse are different. Has anyone else notice this??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • emilyjeepemilyjeep Member Posts: 1
    I started my jeep and the engine died. The light on the dash said no bus and the engine symbol appeared. Prior to this stall, the interior lights flickered. I tried to find information on "all data" - but nothing that made sense. My husband replaced the alternator with a brand new one. The engine will run but all the lights came on along with the no bus code. Then the interior lights died. Any ideas before we take it to the dealership?
    You need to have the codes read I think to narrow the fault.
  • wezwewezwe Member Posts: 10
    As mentioned in several earlier emails, I too have had my headlights AND all inside lights go out while driving at night, in my 2004 Jeep Liberty. The first occurrence happened three times in a row within minutes. Although brief but scary, just the same. My mechanic mentioned that another Liberty had this problem and was taken to the dealership. In that case, a Modular of some sort, was replaced, costing nearly $1000. I just had this problem happen again, weeks later and am realizing now, that in both instances I was using the Brights On/Off Switch, more frequently than I would normally. I need to test this theory, but am hoping for some additional help and information off this site. With one payment left, I am disappointed to be having an issue.

*Note - a recent inspection did not produce any issues or problems through the computer hook-up.

Wezwe in NY
  • di6154di6154 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2009 Liberty in Dec. In that last two weeks, the battery has drained three times (after the first two times, factory replaced the battery) and the car won't start. With a jump the car will start. I had the tow package installed by the factory (at the dealership). Any idea where to look for the problem. To my knowledge nothing was left on. However, a friend tried to call me and the Uconnect satellite was the message he got instead of my voice mail. Any chance the problem is related to the Uconnect, GPS... or a short in the tow harness. All three times it was raining or snowing.
  • artista3131artista3131 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there - I actually bought a brand new Liberty in December as well. Starting at 600km, I have had the exact same problem 4 times now (and I'm up to about 1200km). It runs fine after its jumped as long as it doesn't sit for more than about 12 hrs without driving it to recharge the battery. With mine....I also notice that you can hear the CD Player motor run about every 30 seconds after you shut the car off and even when no key is in the ignition (with no CD in the CD player). So far they have replaced the stereo and the battery.

It is currently sitting in the Jeep service department - and this time they called the Techs at Jeep/Chrysler and they told them to check for a pinched wire behind the headliner, and some kind of hose that goes from the washer fluid resevoir to the rear wiper.

Mine doesn't have the Uconnect or GPS - but does have the tow package.
    I suspect I should get mine back in a day or two for "try" #5......but have you had any luck with yours yet? I'd be curious to hear if you think that they might have found the cause?
  • jtk33jtk33 Member Posts: 3
    I have a friend with a 2002 jeep liberty renegade edition.She is a sweet lady and I'm trying to help her out so she don't have to spend a ton of money at the dealership.Her right blinker only works sometime's (very rarely) so I pulled front and back light assemblies and checked the bulb's all were o.k. and fit snuggly in there socket's. On the back however as was checking I wiggled the plug and it started flashing but 10 minutes later it stopped again so i assumed the plug was defective so I replaced it and that still did not work.all the other lights work fine. I as well changed sides from right to left to see if it was the light assembly itself but low and behold when I plugged it in to the left side plug it blinked. What else could be causing this?
    Sounds like a bad ground somewhere, for that socket or harness.
  • jtk33jtk33 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you , Iwas suspecting the same thing.
  • mikeinmoabmikeinmoab Member Posts: 1
    I trying to remove the right tail light assembly that is damaged. I can detach the assembly from the body but I can't remove the electrical plug from the assembly. Any one got an idea on how to remove the plug?
  • california_soncalifornia_son Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to those of you who posted here about the "4-position blower failure". You made this potentially expensive fix very straightforward. Final cost $25 plus tax for the new "blower resistor card assembly". Let me add one more "bit of lore" for the next guy. Like lunchbox59, I had a terrible time removing the wiring harness, even after I'd opened the infamous red clip. OK first there's a little red tongue on the front of the red clip, visible inside the plastic house. Pry this up gently with a fingernail or small screw driver while pressing the rear "handle" on the red clip. The red clip will then "open" by sliding back maybe 3/16 of an inch. That's as far as it is supposed to go.

But THEN - the wiring harness still won't pull out of the resistor card shell. After fussing, straining, prying and pulling for 30 minutes, I accidentally pressed on a small black "tab" right behind the red clip, and the harness slid out VERY easily.

After that - done in about five minutes. Wish all problems could be solved like this one!
  • reggievreggiev Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :confuse: I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty used with about 46K miles on it. I have taken it to the mountains a few times and on short 2 hour road trips. It doesn't even have 49K on it yet and a few weeks ago the ABS light, Emergency brake light, check engine light, and a few other lights came on on the dash - additionally, once the lights had come on if I tapped the brakes the the speedometer (I apologize if I misspelled anything) and the RPM gauge both dropped to 0. I took it to a jeep chrysler dealership and they said they didn't find anything wrong with it. They reset the codes and gave it back to me. About 200 miles later on my way back from the mountains all the same lights came back on and the speedometer and RPM gauge both dropped to 0 again. I don't want them to just keep re-setting the codes and giving it back to me just to be headed back from the mountains and have all the lights light up again. Please give me any advice you can. I would like to bring something to dealership to tell them to look for because they have no clue. Thank you!
  • rickc38rickc38 Member Posts: 20
    Have them check for a short in the harness to the dashboard. Sounds like there's a wire shorting on another. (called shorted-high)
  • reggievreggiev Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much! I will have them look into it. Do you happen to know what grade gasoline is best for it's engine?

Does anyone know where the best place to buy Jeep Liberty accessories is online? I am looking for a grill, perhaps a winch, fog lights, roof racks, bike racks that attach to the spare on the back door, metal headlight and tail light covers. Things like that. Any advice or website address would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help! :)