Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• codather1codather1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with my 2002 Liberty Sport I bought brand new in July 2002. Back in February I hit a deer. The entire front passenger side plastic bumper and fender flare was hanging down and the turn signal fixture was demolished. I got the new parts for the fixture and put everything back together piece meal using plastic ties. Since hitting the deer I have noticed that when I step on the brake pedal sometimes the rear wiper activates. This was intermitently until recently. Now the dome light wants to stay on all the time. I did notice recently that the wires going to the washer motor are bare of insulation from the accident I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confuse:
  • rickc38rickc38 Member Posts: 20
    Look for a short to ground or two wires touching together. Say when you hit the brakes and that wire has one little strand touching another that might be enough to make whatever that wire activates go on at the same time. Hitting bumps will make the wires move around and make the problems intermittent or make other devices go on simultaneously. Look at all your plug connections I would say. Do some ohmmeter continuity tests from one end of a wire to another. Try taking a continuity test from the brake pedal switch to the end of the wire of the rear wiper (positive or negative) and if you get continuity there's something wrong, Means the wires are touching somewhere. Look at where the wires come through the firewall.
  • wezwewezwe Member Posts: 10
    As mentioned in several earlier emails, I too have had my headlights AND all inside lights go out while driving at night, in my 2004 Jeep Liberty. The first occurrence happened three times in a row within minutes. Although brief but scary, just the same. My mechanic mentioned that another Liberty had this problem and was taken to the dealership. In that case, a Modular of some sort, was replaced, costing nearly $1000. I just had this problem happen again, weeks later and am realizing now, that in both instances I was using the Brights On/Off Switch, more frequently than I would normally. I need to test this theory, but am hoping for some additional help and information off this site. With one payment left, I am disappointed to be having an issue.

*Note - a recent inspection did not produce any issues or problems through the computer hook-up.

Wezwe in NY
  • willi2chwilli2ch Member Posts: 2
    Hey I have the same problem what was the fix?
    I don't have a fix... I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I've seen several similar posts...but nothing with respect to how they fixed the problem.
  • willi2chwilli2ch Member Posts: 2
    Do they still continue to go out? I thought you may of had it fixed by now.
    Yes. However, I am quite sure it's triggered when I use my brights. I've been avoiding using them...and haven't had the issue since. Unfortunately, I need my brights on most of these country roads. Any suggestions? I know for a fact that someone who had the problem, had a whole "modular something", replaced by Chrysler, for a thousand bucks. I just don't trust that it's my only option and was hoping for some insight from others.

Thanks in advance, for any info you can provide! It's much appreciated!
  • yojupiter7yojupiter7 Member Posts: 7
    hi twinkles
    i have a qeustion foryou because my wife jeep librty 2002 is doing the same thing ( lights momentarily flash off when she is driving but the speedimeter and radio also flash all at the same time ? i wonder if she ever find out what was the problem ? thank you ao much
    Note - I haven't noticed if the radio went off .... .but all inside lights on the dash does.
    are you a diferent person replying to my answer or ? well all the lights and speedonmetor and radios flash for less than a second sometimes itshard to tell if is day time but sometimes it fells like the car lose power i heard the back door or window locks clcicks when that happen i am not a expert but i think the problem is the sensor over there who kows thet say at the dealer that i can take hours and a lot money to check for the whole system an i have read in a diferent forum or blob about some people having same problem with the jeep liberty who wants to have a car that you can only drive day time?i hope some replys with the solution or get everybody with the same problem together thank you all
  • dot1mandot1man Member Posts: 1
    Well, I was driving down the road this morning and Cd player quit working. I switched it to radio, then it shut down. It seemed like a fuse issue, or power issue. I have seen all of the comments about electrical issues. Any ideas? I did hear some crackling in the speakers as it quit though. Tried to turn it back, on and it turned on for a couple seconds and shut off!!
  • beachpatty69beachpatty69 Member Posts: 8
    Hello;
    Me & my friend both have 2006 Libertys & they both lost the first 3 fan speeds within a week of each other. I found here that the problem is a resistor and easy to replace, the problem is, we do not know how to drop the glove box on the 2006 & I also read an article that states you must disable the air bags before you attempt to fix it.
    Any help would be wonderful, we are both unemployed (Florida), and females, and want to fix them ourselves to save the labor costs.

Thank you very much,
    Beachpatty & Dodi
    :confuse:
  • newfie4u2newfie4u2 Member Posts: 2
    2006 jeep liberty why did the plastics covers melt on both lights and not under warenty hummmm rear cover gets hot u cant even touch them melted the top :confuse:
  • newfie4u2newfie4u2 Member Posts: 2
    Lights rear burned out on one with melted plastic and the other was working melted platic cover again you cant touch the cover u burn your hand :confuse: Anyone had this happen to you yet? :(
  • rlg14911rlg14911 Member Posts: 1
    Why do the interior lights on my 2002 jeep liberty go on and off after it is locked?
  • joe_randeljoe_randel Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for this post, I too was having issues with the instrument panel backlights not working. I later noticed that my R-Rear running light and brake lights were not working (bulbs were good) After I replaced a bad-bulb in the 3rd brake light I thought that problem would be fixed but it wasn't. The #9 fuse initially tested good but for whatever reason it must have blown when the bulb was replaced or when I was checking the other bulbs. After I saw your post I checked again and it was clearly blown. Anyway thanks again for calling attention to the #9 fuse.
  • traveler_gonetraveler_gone Member Posts: 1
    after reading everyone else's problems I am really scared now. About two weeks ago by ABS/EPS lights came on, I could tell by the feel that it really was something to do with the ABS brake system, now all of a sudden the a/c won't work. The Chrysler dealer here couldn't find out what was wrong when just the lights were on and wanted to charge 170 to run further tests. I took it to my regular mech and he tells me one of the boxes/chips something is bad and Chrysler is the only one that can program the box I will have to take it to them. You know what that means cha ching. He said the box was around 1200 so here we go. After reading all the comments about engines etc. I do believe it is lights out for the Jeep when fixed, definently made that decision for me.
  • randleboyrandleboy Member Posts: 2
    I got into a wreck now my passenger side back light keeps blowing out and when changed I can tell that the plastic covering has been melted and the light is cracked open before changing...my fuse # 12 keeps blowing each time i insert a new one and the door locks, vanity lights and radio will not work...help
  • rickc38rickc38 Member Posts: 20
    Sounds like a short somewhere.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I concur! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kjproblemskjproblems Member Posts: 3
    lights out again 06 jeep liberty crd, changed socket still burning out fuses are all good any ideas
    The other day I put my boat in the water. I came back and took my baby out of the water. While in the process I needed to engage the emergency brake; and all was fine. After pulling my baby out; I went down the road to home; unhooked the boat from my hitch and went about my business. Subsequently; I needed to go back out to purchase some Chinese takeout for dinner. I started the car and began going down the road when all of a sudden the ABS light came on; the red brake light came on; and my speedometer stopped working! What the &%!!*?"+^%$#@? is going on here? There are no adverse symptoms with my brake system. Everything works fine, yet the ABS and red brake lights stay on and my speedometer does not work? :confuse:
  • randleboyrandleboy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport and this has happened to me and i cannot put a fuse 12 in without it blowing out as soon as i put it there... and it controls my radio, cluster lights, power locks also.
    had the same problem with the abs light brought it to dealer they told me it was an abs sensor guess there somewhere on the rear wheels
    did you check the fuses in the power distribution center under the hood near the battery
  • measonmeason Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. The low beam lights do not work. Does the Body Control Module (BCM) provide error messages? Is there a scanner that can be purchased to read errors from the BCM via the PCI data bus network?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We are covering your question in the ANSWERS department, where you also posted. Check your mailbox for replies.
  • measonmeason Member Posts: 2
    Good news. I received conformation from the local Jeep dealer that the circuit does go through the relay then to the fuse panel. 2nd posting did confirm that the relay was on the back side of the panel (of course). Dealer indicated that relay is only $14 and the BCM if required is $275 (rather than the $600 -$800 I previously heard). Jeep parts department also indicated that the BCM comes PRE-programmed. The service manager did not believe this until I told him that the info came from the part department. 2nd posting also confirmed my thoughts of using the high beam relay in the low beam relay slot to perform the initial test on the low beam circuit (relay). If that does not work I will just perform the simple volt test at the relay location on the fuse panel. Thanks for being there to provide positive feed back to confirm some of my ideas of how to solve the problem.
    Good for you. I really am skeptical that the BCM comes "pre-programmed". I think what that means is that it comes with a series of DEFAULT settings. That's not going to work for you IMO.
    Check the fuse. I think its in number 34 in the driver side dash fuse panel inside the cab.... It's 10 amp fuse that runs the radio, clock, etc...
    Im very confuse with the forum i don't know if i am geting the people with similar problems i see you solved your problem and i don't what was your problem but i do know what mine is what is :
    lights momentarily flash off when i n driving with the lights on...but not only the lights also the radio and speedometer just for a second and when is cold it happens more like this morning it did it like 5 times in 3 minutes anybody please? thank you
    have you solve the problem ? this is happening for very long time to my wife car and no body can't fix? (talking about flashing lighst radio, speedometor at the same time) it happens all the time but more whenis cold like this morning could you please tell me ? thank you *
    YoJupiter7 - That is exactly the same problems I have, all lights (inside & out) & radio shut off for a second or two and will do it two or three times in a row. I have a 2004 Liberty Scary to say the least. I've been following this issue on Edmunds, for several months. However, I have come to my own conclusion that I do not have this issue, if I DON'T use my highbeams. Since stopping the use of using my highbeams, I have NOT had the issue, at all. Try it and let me know.

I was originally told by an auto mechanic friend that someone with a Liberty had the same problem and had to have a dealer replace a module of some sort, which cost about $1,000. In my delay from spending that kind of money, I came here to see if other Liberty owners are having the same problems.

Someone wrote just the other day about a similar problem, but I have yet to really look at their statement. I'm going to look now and will respond if I have any similarities.

wezwe
  • cookiemdcookiemd Member Posts: 1
    Is there some type of fan contol unit or module that controls the electric fan for the radiator and if so where is it located and can i get a new one relatively inexpensively. The service department at Jeep told me it was bad and wanted to charge me 450.00 dollars to fix it.
  • giovan13giovan13 Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

Ive been having the same problem with my CD Player motor running when my Jeep is off!

I brought it in last week and they were so convinced that it was a faulty radio which they replaced only to have the same problem again. They told me to try out the Jeep and see if the problem persists while they were also waiting for Chrysler to get back to them. I waiting a few days and no call and over the weekend on Sunday my Jeep wouldnt start, the battery seemed drained. I got it boosted and I drove myself over to the dealer this morning and let them have a piece of my mind. Ive only had the Jeep for a few weeks and having these strange issues.

They said they would look into the issue and I told them to not call me until it is solved otherwise I will not take the Jeep out of their hands.

The whole morning passed and I just got a call from the parts dept. around 2pm advising me that some "module" for my Jeep has arrived. The lady wasnt very helpful on explaining what is was for so I asked her to have a technician call and explain to me what the part is for etc.

How did you problem get solved?

Thanks!
    Gio
    Hi,

Im writing to you again because after so much online searching, you are the only person who has the same problem as I do with the CD Player motor running when the ignition is off and key is out. Seems this problem drained my battery over the weekend as well.

Was this problem every fixed? My Jeep is still at the service center as they are still trying to find the cause.

Id really appreciate if you would reply.

Thanks in advance!

Gio
    2008 Jeep Liberty
    Hi!

Ive been having the same problem with my CD Player motor running when my Jeep is off!

I brought it in last week and they were so convinced that it was a faulty radio which they replaced only to have the same problem again. They told me to try out the Jeep and see if the problem persists while they were also waiting for Chrysler to get back to them. I waiting a few days and no call and over the weekend on Sunday my Jeep wouldnt start, the battery seemed drained. I got it boosted and I drove myself over to the dealer this morning and let them have a piece of my mind. Ive only had the Jeep for a few weeks and having these strange issues.

They said they would look into the issue and I told them to not call me until it is solved otherwise I will not take the Jeep out of their ha

Has anyone heard of this problem? or of the solution? or cause?

Thanks!
    Gio
  • libertygirl13libertygirl13 Member Posts: 8
    For the first time, my outside lights flickered up and down (looked liked I had flickered the highbeams on) on their own...It happened a few times and my hand wasn't near the highbeam lever...hummm I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty ( 138,000 miles)
    I hope that this isn't a major problem...Does anyone know how to fix this if it becomes more serious?
    so this message is for libertygirl ?or who ever has the same problem i think
    i m kind of confuse here
    well my wife car have the same problem well is more than that but could you please pay attention look at at the speedometer and radio when that happens because it happens so fast that you can even see it sometimes and if is you the one with that flashing lights problems please lets help each other i keep posting asking the people who posted long time ago they might solved the problem and i don't come back here to help someone with the same problem ( so e mail will be good too) 2 mechanics and the dealer already check the car and they can't found the problem it happens over a year ago
    hi DAve
    are you sure is only the lights did you take a look at the speedometer and radio ? ( it happens very fast i didn't notes in the first times )could you please do that and let me know ? i am looking for people with the same problem as mine since the ones with the same problem can't fix it or just don't want to share after they found the solution ? so could you please let me know if the problem is similar so we can help each other if we found the solution thank you
    Had you used the highbeams AT ALL, prior to the flickering, Libertygirl13? I have not had a problem in 4 months, since eliminating TOTAL use of my mine. Unfortunately, living in a somewhat country area, this can prove to be a littel frustrating. I am searching for answers BEFORE bringing it to a dealer and will let everyone know, my progress.

FYI - I have 104,000. miles and have had the issue for about the last 15,000.
  • libertygirl13libertygirl13 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you, Wezwe, for your good comments :-)
    I hadn't used the highbeams before it happened....Now, I know that it's not my imagination and I'll keep tabs on what else is going on in the car when this happens again. I'm like you, and won't bring my car in for this problem unless it becomes a hazard... I'll post when I have any more info. Thanks!
  • cane59cane59 Member Posts: 2
    The turn signals and emergency flashers on my 2003 Liberty are not working. When I press the flasher button, it lights very dimly but does not flash. I could not find a flasher relay in the owner's manual. Any suggestions?
    The combination flasher for this model is integral to the hazard switch located in the center of the instrument panel, just above the radio. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. It cannot be adjusted or repaired.

You might check to see if your directional signals are blinking at a higher rate that usual--this would indicate a bad bulb rather than bad relay.
  • cane59cane59 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. The signals do not flash at all. I will check out the hazard module and let you know.
  • ddingemanddingeman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 56K and the fan stays on after the car is turned off and the key is out of the ignition so I have to ensure that before exiting the vehical that the fan is in the off position if not I have a dead battery. I own other jeep/chrysler products and the fan will only run if the key is in the ignition and in the on position no matter what.

Any Idea's?
    Only thing I can think of to do is go to the Power Distribution Center. There you'll find the heater blower motor relay, and also a spare relay of the same type next to it. If you could switch out the 2 relays---see if that cures the problem.
  • spooks94spooks94 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2003 Jeep Liberty for about three years now. Shortly after I got it the speedometer would drop to zero and then return to normal. I brought it back to dealership twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Now the the speedometer doesn't work at all. When the air is on the doors won't lock automatically and the temp, RPM, and gas gauge all drop to zero until I turn the air off. Odometer also doesn't work when the air is going. What is going on?
  • wenandchuckwenandchuck Member Posts: 3
    i have a 07 with same problem can you test the resistor before replacin it
  • mel82mel82 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 jeep liberty and am experiencing the same problem. The headlights and all interior lights blink off and on quickly, I also hear clicking noises while this ocurs, as I am driving. I too noticed it usually happens when it's cold out. Maybe the weather has something to do with it??? I noticed someone had mentioned their problem stopped after not using their highbeams, I have not used them in a long time, I know that is not the problem for my situation. I am looking for a solution as well, if anyone finds out anything please pass the word!
    Thx :)