Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the A3

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited July 2014 in Audi
What would you do to improve upon the A3? What features, specifications, or design elements would you tweak?

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    RWD.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    That won't ever happen will it?

How about a 2.0 T Quattro A3 with more aluminum components to equal the exact same weight as the frontrack 2.0T A3?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Redesigned cup holders.
    You can't use the fog lights unless the headlight switch is on manual...duh..why?

Ditto on the #3 comment on the awd issue.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    my 2 cents from visits and drives (don't own one yet):

Should go to aluminum block motors to reduce weight, especially in the 3.2 version which is too heavy for its size.

Add a Non_Sports version of the 3.2 suspension as an option so the 3.2 can deal better with bad roads.

Also narrow up the interior console. Amazing how many german cars consoles are so wide and enroach into leg room (saturn derived opels have same problem).
    The europe-based driving test came up with some surprises.
    How about it? And price it at 30K to start.
    Dreaming.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Yes, Dreaming, unfortunately. The S3 runs over $50K at present, with a 4 cyl turbo.

At least the Metalworkers union building Audis and VW's agreed to a slightly longer workweek to help reduce costs.
    That 50K price must be 30K profit.
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    I'd like to see a A3 with a turbo diesel with 150-175hp, that would be plenty speedy, (0-60 under 7.5) and fun to tinker with for the tuners, while giving stellar performance at the pump too (mid-30s combined). Id prefer RWD or AWD in my perfect car but Id settle for FWD, if it had the diesel.

I drove an A3 after they first came out and it was beautiful. :blush: The sales rep drove it before letting me behind the wheel, she drove 80 and I felt like we were doing 55. That was an amazing feeling but it made me worry. Maybe they can do something to stop the illusion of slowness. The driver needs to be aware of how fast their going or they'll spend a lot of time stopped on the side of the road. :cry: We want to spend our money on gasoline not tickets ;)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    RWD for me too. From my perspective, the only thing wrong with the A3 is its WWD "Wrong Wheel Drive" orientation.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I do think that it's one of the best sorted front wheel drive cars on the market today, the Mini being the best.

Shipo, I know you love rear wheel drive cars, but I prefer any car with a drive train that's well sorted. For instance, 2 rear wheel drive cars I'm not interested in.
    1.Any Mercedes
    2.Any Lexus
    I'd take a front drive A3 over those in a heart beat.
    I'm not suggesting that the A3 isn't well sorted, because it's not. In fact, it is one of the nicest FWD rigs that I've ever driven. That said, as the A3 can already be had in AWD trim, it's not a stretch to think that it can also be built as a RWD vehicle. Right, wrong or otherwise, it is my belief that an A3 with a RWD layout would be a more balanced car at the limit than the current FWD offering, and more fun to drive to boot.

Regarding the RWD cars that you'd rank as less desirable than the A3: Hmmm, I'm with ya on the Lexus thing, no contest. That said, I really like virtually every E-Class since the introduction of the W210, the E320 Bluetec in particular. Of course I like the MB for FAR different reasons compared to the A3. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I'll take a minor exception to the Lexus ban. Let's say any current Lexus: I took the only one worth owning. Ever. IMNSHO of course.

And, of course, once they started down the path of driving fun, they abandoned it at the first opportunity.

Lunkheads.

A3 as a FWDer is spanking good, but still a FWDer. Pass. As an AWDer, it interests greatly, but is still not RWD, and is heavy with the 3.2. As an S3, I could perhaps forget about the drivetrain layout.

Yes, I'm almost certain I could...

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!
  • agisagis Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the A3 07 Premium package.
    I love this car, handles great, good pickup and gas mileage.
    My only concern is the steering feels a bit vague when you are driving straight and speeds 60 -70 mph. I feel I need to do some minor corrections to keep it straight. Would making the suspension more sporty like:
    1. Stifer shocks and springs
    2. Stronger stabilizer bars front and rear
    3. Lower suspension ( I am reading from A4 specs sport suspension)
    fix this little annoyance?
    Thanks for your inputs.
    rlsedition posted this in the Audi AE 3 suspension thread. He found this solution quite acceptable;

"There is a good solution to ride quality, even with the Sport package A3. It KONI FSDs, with a unique design that favors ride just as much as improved handling. A car with FSDs feels like you just "took the edges off" road imperfections like tar strips and coarse pavement. You can even pair them with Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs for an improved appearance."

Sounds like these are even better than the Audi Sport dampers.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I usually don't hear people describe Audi's as nervous. BMW's, yeah, Audi's rarely if ever.
  • flemo123flemo123 Member Posts: 20
    Europe already has the 2.0 Turbo Diesel 170HP and the 2.0 Turbo 200HP with Quattro AWD. Audi USA just decided not to bring these options to the US. I think the Quattro 2.0T would be the most compelling addition to the US range. The 3.2 is way too expensive for this car. The A3 remains a niche car in the US. I don't think it's sales have been very good over here for whatever reason, so it seems unlikely that Audi will broaden the range.

So you might think that the Europeans have it all, but they also sell the A3 with an anemic 102HP 1.6 motor. How sad.
  • flemo123flemo123 Member Posts: 20
    Actually the S3 is cheaper than the A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line Fastback in Europe, which is the equivalent to the top of the line A3 available in the US. Not $50K. However the S3 only appears to come in the 2 door hatchback shape, which is very popular in Europe, and non-existant in the US.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Things that I would have liked to have seen:

a) A diesel motor option.

b) Some exterior color that's NOT on the VW GTI list.

Currently, the Azure Blue that's supposed to be available for 09 is on a "delayed introduction". No word yet as to what its ETA might be, so we might cancel the order...can save $5K if we buy a GTI, or a 2008 left-over.

c) Cloth interior

My wife finds cloth seats warmer in winter, but the 2009's come standard with leather. No word yet on how much the sticker price is going to jump; my guess is around $1500.

d) Ability to get Xenon HID's without getting soaked with other 'buy extra' optional packages.

These typically include a package that includes a sunroof, but due to medical issues, a sunroof is a liability for us.

e) Heated outside mirrors aren't standard equipment, but should be. When you look at the options list, they cost $1000 to add ($700 cold weather package, which requires the $300 convenience pkg) - - yet they are standard equipment at Audi UK.

FWIW, these sorts of "you must get A if you want B" rules for optional equipment make some sense on a car that's being leased, but there's no accommodation if you're buying the car outright. And if you look at the UK market, the amount of mix-and-match customization is amazing in comparison to the USA.

Maybe I'll check out the US wiring harness and if compatible, go buy a pair of Audi's electrically folding heated mirrors that they sell in the UK to be refitted on my A3...I doubt that as a 'repair part' they could cost substantially more than $500 per side.

-hh
    1) A full leather option on the 2.0T models. Currently the 2.0T leather option only includes leather in the middle seating surfaces, the bolter faces are made out of vinyl and they have a tendency to crack.

2) The "Valve-Lift" version of the new TSI motor, this feature allows the engine to put out more power and torque than the base motor, and apparently gets better fuel economy to boot.

3) Eliminate the need for the Open Sky system when ordering other options.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • go4davego4dave Member Posts: 6
    First,, i'd like at least position DRIVER seat memory. The thing i hate the most, (it happened this morning) i took my car down,, to get a really good cleaning, detail and wax. The guy hands me back the keys, i give him a tip (they do a great job, everytime) i go to sit down,, but my seat,,, is as far forward, and UP as it can go. I crack my head on the door jam. I'd like to be able to move it back to that position, i worked so hard to find for around town driving. Position 2 is for those longer drives to far away cities, and then, position 3 is either for winter coat, or i'm sleepy, so i need to stay awake for a few more miles.

Second, change. The "trunk", the "boot", the "hatch, the "freakin cargo hold", whatever you want to call it, should be 4" (100mm) wider, so, a set of golf clubs can rest sideways in the back,,, and without having to put the seat down,, to haul a set of clubs. Or worse yet, you cannot haul 4 guys, and 4 sets of golf clubs, because the golf clubs, will not lay sideways in the car. Now you have to fold the back seat down, and you can barely get 3 sets of clubs into that space, to take the driver and 2 friends out golfing.

Third. I like the switch blade key fob thing, But, they need to recess the button, I have poked, to many holes in my pockets,,, because,, the stupid key flips out inside my pocket,, when i am working, and pokes through the pocket liner. Recess the key button,, or make it a slide out, like a USB flash drive.

Forth, WHY can't i DIM the damn RED led dash, and center console. (plus, don't get me started on that stupid ORANGE "passenger airbag is off" in the middle of the center console) I feel like,, i can tan,, after driving to Los Angeles and back at night. The RED led, is nice,, but it gives off so much extra light,, i completely, shut done my rheostat on the analog gauages,, and still there is more then enough bleed of RED led,, that airplanes follow me.

Fifth, convenince power, up near the dash somewhere. And maybe a couple of actual circuits in the fuse panel (switched and unswitched) that can have a fuse popped into and then plugged into on the back side of the fuse panel. Because,, we all seem to run wires ourselves,, but,, the whole piggy back off the fuse on the front side is pretty ghetto.

Sixth,, a way to remove the front grill without having to destroy it,, or remove the entire front clip to get to the grill.

Seventh, a passage,, with groment from the factory,, from engine compartment through the firewall,, to the passenger compart,, near the fuse panel. Most of us DIYers have to hunt,, poke,, drilll, press and prode,, to get wires into there,,, for our projects.

Eight, the small sun visor above the rear view mirror. That seems to break,, not stay up after a while. Should actually be part of the rear view,,, and be a slide up (like the inside of the sun visor) or a roll-up (like it is now) only going the other direction. Anyway, it should be part of the mirror,, and be strong enough,, for those of us,, who want to us a radar detector,, to be able to use it as a point to clip to, or slide our mount on to or into it.

Nine, the rear cargo area,, should have a proper rubber mat,, like the nice rubber mats, that come for the drivers and passengers. The plastic crap,, with the 2" lip,, that they sell it CRAP huge piece of SH(*&T. and why the stupid LIP,,, everytime, i put my golf clubs in the car,,, it bends the dumb thing down,, and now,, it's all tweeked outa' whack.

Ten, better A/C,,, the air conditioning sucks,,,, but,, i do live in Vegas,, and at 120 degrees,,, it is HOT. But,, my old FORD pick-up ,, will freeze your [non-permissible content removed] outa the cab,,, in mid summer going to a job site. My A3,,, won't get the nipples hard on a crack whore in mid-winter.

Eleven, Bigger/Better/ crossed drilled BRAKES, we all would like more horsepower,, i would like more TORQUE,,, but i also,, want to be able to stop. This is a great car,, and it's FUN TO DRIVE,,, it needs 14" rotors in the front,, so,, you can lock it down,, when stupid people,, cut you off.

well,, that's what i have for you.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks.

The A3 was my second choice when I bought a new car a couple of months ago. Your post made me feel even better about my TSX -- excellent before, better now.

Have fun.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Ahh,, i've never driven the TSX...... and you have to understand,,, i LOVE my car,,,, it's fun to drive. those 11 things i mentioned are just minor things,, that i would like to see them change, or upgrade you might say. But, i truly, believe,, that i am going to move to the RS4 AVANTA WAGON QUATTRO. It's equiped with all of the above, but of course that's in Europe. It is 5 inches longer then my A3, and 4 inches wider,, so the golf clubs will fit. With the 4.2L V-8... it's gonna be my next ride. But, that will be 2011 or 2012. Anyway, i hope you didn't take my "wish" list of things that could be refined wrong. My Audi Rocks, but i'm glad your happy with your TSX.
    I'm in agreement with the many of the eleven issues listed in the post above.

However, it's easy to dim and lower the red LED interior light output, there's a dimmer rotating dial/switch right next to the headlight knob left of the steering wheel.

Most agreed on the A/C sucking. The AC is undersized, and might work in a Mini Cooper, but the A3 is no Mini Cooper size wise. Whenever it gets over 95 degrees, you can forget about the AC getting cold air out before 15 minutes are up. If you are on a longer drive, it should kick in after that..... that is WAY TOO long.

Also, if it gets over 100 degrees, then it seems overpowered, and My interior is not black, and my exterior is not black... not good.

The Leather seats should be complete leather, and not just "surfaces."

They should let you get an S-line in cloth with DSG with the nice 3 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel with shift paddles.

I don't know why the cloth models had to come with the ugly steering wheel with the softer suspension.
    I never looked at the S-line,, when i bought mine,, those had not come out yet.. Now that they are out,, i don't want to look,, until i am ready to buy again.
    Regarding the Rotating knob,, for dimming the LEDs,, that knob,, only dims the white light that illuminates the face of the gauges, It doesn't dim,, the digital numbers, or displays in red. If you sit in your car at night, and rotate the knob,, all the way down,, to the lowest setting, the gauges will go dark. Yet the displays, stay the same, i can't make the displays go dark,, and on a long drive,, in the desert,,, with no other lights other then my own car....... the reflection inside my windows,, and the strain my eyes sucks. I wish,, i could choose the color,,, if i can't dim them,, i could change the color,, then,,, my eyes would not be so exhausted.
  • nomowhalenomowhale Member Posts: 17
    I have only been driving my 2006 A3 for a about a week, but I love the 2.0T engine. I like it much better than the 225hp V6 I had in my 2003 530i that I traded in for the A3. At the top of my wish list would be a TDI engine. I had a 2004 Jetta TDI and loved the low end torque in the 100hp 1.9TDI. I have not driven the new Jetta with the 140HP TDI but I would think that engine would work well in the A3. I think the new A3 and the new Jetta will be pretty close in weight so I think the engine can get the A3 where it needs to go. 236lbs of torque will do it fine in my estimation. I know you have to drive at least 50,000 miles to get your investment back because of the additional cost of the diesel engine but I love the performance and fuel economy. I am very interested to see who brings a 4 banger diesel to the US first, BMW or Audi (if ever).
    Wow! Congrats on the A3,, and an '06 as well, that's what i have. To be honest, and straight up,,, you'll be so thankful you did. 2 things you NEED to do. You'll get better gas mileage,,, and better performance. #1 APR 91 octane flash, #2 Cold Air Intake. The first one,, got to APR website and find a dealer in your area,,, then contact them,,, it takes about 20-30mins,,, and its the best investment for your 2.0T. then, the second, do some research,, and see which you like best... i choose the Neuspeed Pro-Flo Intake, with Race Extension, and i added a GREEN Air Filter, and HYDRO SHIELD. Once you do some research, that will make sense. Since my car needs to run 91 Octane from the factory, (if you run less, there are some funny little characteristics it starts to do) my mileage went up 2.3 miles per gallon. I didn't learn about the APR flash,, until i had 11,000 miles on my car,,, and with every tank of gas,, i checked the mileage. So,, you'll love these upgrades. Have fun!!!!
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely take a look. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your car now?
    I get a pretty consistent with my driving style (aggressive) 25 miles per gallon in mixed driving.
    "I like it much better than the 225hp V6 I had in my 2003 530i that I traded in for the A3."

I'll bet you $10,000 that your 530i did not have a 225hp V6. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, BMW has never (and hopefully will never) build a V6 engine of any size or power rating.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    my driving is very aggressive (Las Vegas, has horrible traffic) and with nowhere to really go on the open highway,, it's all stop and GO LIKE HELL!! Anyway, for the first 11,000 miles,,, i got 21.8 mpg in the summer,, (avg temp 107 degrees F) the rest of the year, i got 22.5 mpg. After the Cold Air Intake and APR Flash, (same drive to work) the first summer i got 23.9mpg, and 24.8 mpg the rest of the year. Now this summer,, as gas prices are going up,,,, i think the fuel makers are cheating us on Octane, and quality (also, with the new % of alcohol allowed) my car is getting about 23.5 mpg (but it's been really windy, and HOT so far this summer) But i still believe,, they are Raping us on Quality of fuel at the pumps.
  • jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    I think the next A3 will correct most if not all of my fusses over the A3...

-A navigation system worth paying an overinflated price for.
    -A useful USB/iPod integration
    -Aluminum pedals as a standard feature on the sport/S-Line package
    -full leather seats as others mentioned
    -better A/C controls (the click knobs are a pain)
    -better placement of the parking brake
    -turn lights on the rear view mirrors
    -keyless entry/ignition
    Sorry, you are right. I meant 3.0-liter, double-overhead-cam inline six-cylinder engine that produced 225 horsepower. I like the low end torque on the 2.0T better than on the BMW engine. With the AC on the BMW would struggle a little bit until I got up to 3500 rpms where it would reach its max torque. In my Audi you reach max torque at 1800 rpm and the band stays flat until 5000 rpm. That is impressive.
    I got 25 mpg on my 530i using 93 Octane with a 75-25 mix of highway and local driving (my best guess). I am hoping for 27 or 28mpg with my A3, but time will tell.
    "With the AC on the BMW would struggle a little bit until I got up to 3500 rpms where it would reach its max torque."

Really? Did you have a manual or an automatic transmission? I ask because I never even felt the presence of the A/C compressor on my 2002 530i 5-Speed.

Best Regards,.
    Shipo
    I had the manual. I felt just the slightest hesitation below 2000 rpm with the AC on. I wonder how much the horsepower was reduced at that point with the AC on compared to with it off. If I remember correctly the engine produced 175 lbs of torque at 1800 rpm. My 2004 Jetta had 166lbs of torque at 1800rpm and was a much lighter car. My 530i was lacking a little in low end torque in my opinion.

I love BMWs. I had a 2001 323i before the 530i and I think the engine was better matched to size and weight of the car--just my opinion. I never had any hesitation with the AC on in that car. I liked the 323i better than the 530i because of the engine and its handling characteristics.
    Hmmm, interesting. A couple of points:

1) I had a 1999 328i 5-Speed prior to my 5er, and I have to admit, while I liked my 530i MUCH better than the 328i, the 3er had better throttle response, errr, at least for a while.

2) Item #1 isn't completely true. I picked up my 530i in Munich in April of 2002, and while I had the car over in Europe, the throttle response was almost perfect. The only thing I would have changed about the throttle programming Mark 1 was that if I was accelerating up a ramp to the AutoBahn and then partially lifted because of traffic in front of me, and if the current speeds were in excess of 80 mph, the car always felt like it wanted to keep accelerating, forcing me to lift off even further.

3) When I got the car back to the States, my dealer did me a "favor" by flashing the OBC with the latest code. Gee, thanks for nothing. The Mark 2 programming of the drive by wire software sucked so badly that I nearly got into a couple of accidents. Say I'd be turning left out onto a 4-lane road, and say the hole wasn't all that large; I'd nail it, get into the hole, and then lift off throttle so as to transition from acceleration to steady speed. The OBC would sense a sudden decrease in pedal angle and SHUT DOWN the power like RIGHT NOW, even if I still had some pressure on the gas pedal. The problem only got worse when the A/C was on.

4) After hearing from a service technician that, "They all do that" and me responding, "Well, it sure as hell didn't do that in Europe", he looked a bit stunned and went in and checked the release date of the firmware. Sure enough, it was dated right about when my car was delivered to me in the States.

5) He immediately installed what I'll call the Mark 3 version of the firmware and the problems were immediately solved.

That was a long way around of suggesting that maybe you had the Mark 2 code as well.

Back to the A3, the single largest change that I'd love to see in the A3 would be if Audi would humor all of us BMW drivers and switch the car from FWD to RWD. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wow, interesting stuff about your software issues. Perhaps that was my problem. The thing is I never complained to my mechanic in the two years I had the car. I just dealt with it.

I couldn't agree with you more on the RWD matter. I honestly would not be driving this A3 if the BMW 1-Series was brought over here in a more practical form for where I am in my life. With two young boys (8 and 3), the 128i was an impossibility. The older one ditching his booster seat a few weeks ago was one of the triggers in my decision to trade in the 5 Series. It is amazing how much room those seats take up. The little one will be out of the 5 point harness seat and into a booster in 2 months. I just didn't need such a big car anymore. I actually looked at getting another pre-owned 3 series, but my dealer only had coupes at the price I wanted to pay. I am in enough hot water about this A3 with my wife. If I came home with a 128i I would have been kicked out of the house. I "accidently" bought the A3 and forgot to tell my wife. I have a history with this. I also "accidently" bought my 323i back in 2004 without telling her until after. She had the same reaction both times. She hung up on me when I called her from the car on the way back from the dealer. Boy, was she pissed last week. I got so caught up in the purchase it slipped my mind, and we always talk about big purchases before we do anything. Hopefully, I learned my lesson for my next car.....I doubt it :)

I can't see Audi ever changing the drive configuration of the A3. That would be a very expensive proposition. Do you know any models that were in production that switched their drive configuration from front to back or vice versa? I have not driven a FWD car with any regularity since I had a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero. The understeering was very bad. I don't have the same problem in my A3. I have been very surprised how well it drives despite being FWD.

I am praying my next car is a BMW 123d (five door) sometime in 3 or 4 years, but I am not holding my breath. If that is not going to happen then I will take an A3 with a diesel engine. I suppose that is my problem. I am always thinking of my next car as soon as I get a new one.....

Larry
    While I agree that we're more likely to have the speaking of French banned in Quebec than we are of seeing a RWD variant of the A3, the actual conversion probably isn't as difficult as it might otherwise sound. Given that the A3 can already be had with the Haldex AWD system, we know by default that the rear suspension and body pan is already setup to accept RWD mechanicals. The only issue would be how to divorce the front wheels from the transmission, and how to most efficiently transmit the power from the engine and tranny, which are installed laterally in the car, to the longitudinally mounted drive shaft.

But hey, I can dream can't I? :shades:

Cordialement,
    Shipo
    should have 220 HP with 25/32 type gas mileage with 2.0 T and Quattro all the while shedding 50 lbs.
    Everything that I've seen indicates no change in power, regardless of whether the car is configured as FWD or AWD, the mileage however does go up a touch with the new CCTA engine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • JLaw012JLaw012 Member Posts: 11
    I know the A3 is supposed to have an Average reliability rating, why can't they make a more reliable car for once? and i agree an AWD option on the 2.0 would be nice, however i am liking the gas mileage.
  • fbtfbt Member Posts: 3
    After 20,000 miles on my 2007 A3 2.0 manual, S-line the only real complaint I have is with the climate control. It's kind of a bother to bring in just fresh air without the heater coming on and I'm always pushing the buttons trying get it like I want. The AC is a bit weak for Houston summers too.

I'ts my first premium brand car, I'm still a bit amazed at the prices for such simple things like wiper blades, filters and the such.

Okay maybe one more thing, the tires are noisey.
    The road noise depending on the tires can be pronounced. The AC is too weak for this size car, might work good in a Mini Cooper but A3 is bigger and needs better.

The reliability is fantastic and supreme. ONly real problems have been the center storage armrest latch broke on the cover and the rear armrest cupholder isn't working and I guess never was (but didn't check it until now)

48,000 miles and easily the most reliable well built vehicle I've ever had, purchased, and/or rode in.

Top 3 improvements the A3 needs are as follows:

1) Make A/C stronger
    2) Quality control on little details like latches.
    3) Climate Control intuition

And then I'd add

4) A bit more horsepower and torque
    5) a bit more efficiency and gas mileage

You can always you a bit more of #4 and 5 to stay on top of the competition.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Engage Soap Box...

For the kind of $$$ they are asking for this vehicle, I can't understand how a car built for driving, could so neglect the music player integration aspect. Honestly, a aux port in the center armrest does nothing to help solve the problem. Exactly how do I change pod casts and albums?

And don't put a cable in the glove box or under my seat. There's no need to be cute and display track/title on the center stack..it's already displayed on my iPod. Offer a cable that will at least pipe sound into the head unit, charge the device, and put the device in a useful location (offer a bracket) and call it day. Don't try to improve the iPod interface by repeating track and title somewhere else...just let the driver use the device as is.

How exactly do my passengers watch a movie up front when, without charging, the battery sucks dry in less than 30 minutes of video and...oh wait, the iPod is in the center console so no one can see it anyway.

Clearly a Euro car that fails to understand American Tech. Lesser cars that cost less seem to get this right. I consider my music, podcasts and audio books to account for more than 50% of my driving experience these days. I was able to add a USA Spec iPod adapter for my current car and it has been awesome. Audi is making it very difficult for me to want this drivers car.

:mad:

Disengage Soap Box...

John
    Audi needs to come to their senses and stop using cheap batteries that die out in 35 months of use and then tell their customer they are only covered for 12 months under warranty.

They need to AT A MINIMUM cover their battery 48 months or 50,000 miles with AT LEAST a prorated proration of a warranty on the battery.

SHAME on Audi for this little nickel & dime trick. That being said, I'd rather have my battery die then some other major or catestrophic failure.

Overall A- at 52,000 miles.
  • mamboomamboo Member Posts: 1
    Maybe you would like this one, although there are just some minor changes such as reshaped side mirrors and chrome strips on the door handles on the exterior and a new gear selector for the S tronic transmission, a flat-bottomed leather sports steering wheel and others on the inside.
    Check out more details on http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-news/2010/04/08/audi/4155/the_2011_audi_a3_s- portback_unveiled_today.html
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    a diesel A3 with a real three-pedal manual transmission?

I may end up in a Golf or Passat, since they (this week, at least) still offer the real manual with the TDI.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    a diesel A3 with a real three-pedal manual transmission?

...and Rear Wheel Drive. :)
    I'd like the S4's 7-speed DSG tranny in an S3 body with 265 HP+ and quattro all wheel drive to hit the US shores in the guise of a 4-door (5-door hatch) S3.
This discussion has been closed.