Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 600h/600h L

123457»

Comments

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Cyclone, I have no doubt that you made the right decision, regardless of the rest of the reviews. It is clear that the LS600hL will not deliver the kind of mileage that you and I were expecting.

I will state clearly here that after all the LS600hL reviews are accounted for, the Edmunds review will likely stand at the bottom of the heap.

One problem here is that no matter what the review looks like, I think we can safely say that the gas mileage will never be incredible, at least as you and I define that.

I'm still happy for you with regards to the LS460L. If you like the LS, it represents a terrific value, IMO. I somehow don't see you taking the "risk" with the S550. ;)

TagMan
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Read several car magazines on an airplane to the West Coast. All had great reviews on the LS 600 and the tests in one of the Magazines had the LS600 braking from 60mph to 0 stopping at 114 ft. Sweet figures for this big ride. Great numbers!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I'm very happy with L I configured and can't wait to get it. Nevertheless the LS600HL tempts me now more than ever. I understand Charlie's issue and reasoning completely. But my mileage aspirations for the car were in the 25 MPG range and that was using 2007 EPA policies so the 21-22 is still excellent in my book given the government policy change. This was a car that was always about a great blend of power, prestige, uniqueness, luxury and mileage and it delivers on all.

Tag - do the new diesels require different diesel fuel than what is currently pumped at stations that deliver diesel? If so are stations required to have both diesels? If two grades of diesel are required to support old diesels (and trucks where almoost all the diesel rev comes from) I can imagine many stations having a rerun of 16X9 HDTV and 4X3 reg TV in a different light. In my neck of the woods as it is, diesel gas is found where the trucks are (main highways) and not at local stations and that's another turnoff to me. I'm no diesel fan as you know, and am light years from knowledge on bluetecs so these questions may be dumb. But I can see a future diesel hybrid as being a perfect solutuion though I think the battery will become so important that the type of fuel may not matter anyway.

Nevertheless my nightmare is having a diesel that's running out of gas and finding a gas station as it dies, only to find they don't sell diesel.
    lj - those are good questions, and I do not want to post the answers on this LS forum for obvious reasons. I'll post them on the luxury lounge forum for you. ;)

Also, I think your perspective on the battery is valid, but it seems like that might be a long way off. But when they do finally get a serious battery, then you are right that the rest won't matter near as much.

TagMan
    One of the things that I've been thinking about is the time frame it might take for essentially ANY of the competition to manufacture anything like the LS600hL, should it become necessary.

While I maintain that the next generation of this vehicle will likely be even better than this debut model, I realize that the competition, for all practical purposes, has absolutely NOTHING to directly compete with this vehicle at this point in time.

The Lexus LS600hL is the one and only high end luxury hybrid in the world. That's exclusivity, IMO. It's really a damn shame that the mileage numbers weren't a little higher, and I say that without attacking the car, as I've been accused of. I say that because instead of a stand-up double, we'd have seen a home run.

But again, what will the competition do? No one seems to really know, do they, and no one knows how long it will take. The next question is... once the competition finally does produce some sort of luxury hybrid of their own, or a luxury vehicle with alternative power... wouldn't the next generation Lexus simply come along and clobber the competition's first entry? Quite a real possibility!

The only hope I see for the competition here, if this class of car becomes truly a big hit, is to leapfrog the Lexus, but that will take serious committment, and I somehow wonder if that is possible considering that there probably isn't anyone in the world more committed to this than Toyota/Lexus is.

So, it would seem, gentlemen, that even with some of its disappointments, this LS600hL is exclusive afterall, in its own right.

At least that's how the good TagMan sees it! :)

TagMan
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    And that's probably 2-3 years off.

Regarding mileage, 30-40% better than any competing V12 is stellar. If people think every hybrid in the world needs to get 30MPG to be worthwhile, than people expect quite a bit from Toyota.

They're working on it. If anyone can bring the people what they want, which seems like the perfect automobile, it's 'Yota. ;)

DrFill
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I was just talking to the salesman at my dealer and he told me the following rather startling story: He asked me if I wanted to order a Nieman-Marcus edition of the LS600HL. At first I thought he was joking. But he was serious. I responded by stating that there is no way I could get one even if I wanted one since they are all sold out. He said that they were all originally "sold" but evidently there have been cancelled orders (I think he said 180 orders cancelled). I did not ask him why but for one reason or another a person can get one right now at the same price as the regular version ($104,000 base).

I have no reason not to believe what he told me. He is not the type of person that makes things like that up. Folks, go ahead and spit out your theories. My GUESS is that there are more folks like me that are cancelling orders strictly because of the relatively low mpg rating for a hybrid.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Are you kidding? I was just about to express my interest of the LS600hL in a different post- it would be a great car for my wife, as she loved the S550, but is a bit concerned about the mileage. IMO her S550 4Matic would've gotten about 15mpg on a daily basis, as opposed to the 22 for the Lexus (she's in town, most of the time), which is a huge psychological difference.

In fact, we were interested in the Neiman Marcus edition at some point last month, but the $130K pricetag shattered that notion. I am not willing to spend that much money on a car, not for at least five more years. But $105,000, on a lease, as it makes sense for her, is definitely do-able. I'll have to contact my Lexus dealer, and see if they can get one to my by next year... well, I'll talk to the wife first!

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    No, I am not kidding. This is what I was told. I thought it was very strange. I can easily understand your feelings about 22 mpg compared to 15 for the S550. Good luck and let please let us know what your dealer says about the availability of the LS600HL Nieman Marcus.
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    link title

Amazing machine! 0-100km in 5.5s, 12.2km/l (28.7mpg), 190.3g CO2/km in Japanese 10-15 test cycle
    Let's wait to see if Lexus will reach its projected sales target: 7,000 LS hybrids in 2007.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    Lexus announced production of 700 LS600's per month starting in June. They are divided 400 for Japan, 200 for Europe and 100 for the USA. So
    for 2007, 600 LS600hL's.
    Here is an item from the Wall Street Journal online from last Friday:

Toyota Prepares a Pricey Hybrid
    Toyota Motor plans to roll out its most expensive hybrid car yet. The $124,000
    Lexus LS Sedan is the first version of its luxury model that Toyota expects to
    sell better in Europe and Asia than in the U.S. The company believes it will
    sell about 100 of the models each month in the U.S. beginning in July, but
    forecasts that it will sell 180 models a month in Europe and some 400 in Japan,
    where overall Lexus sales reach only about 30,000 vehicles annually. Toyota says
    it plans to sell 100 LS sedans a month in China starting in August. Unlike in
    Japan, where even the wealthiest consumers demand fuel efficiency, analysts say
    Americans spending more than $100,000 on a car tend to be more concerned with
    performance than gas prices. Chief Lexus engineer Sam Sadakata said there's "a
    real difference in the acceptance of hybrid systems in the U.S., Europe and
    Japan."
    Price tested: $106,315
    0-60: 5.4s
    0-100mph: 12.6s
    1/4m: 13.8@105.1mph
    200ft skidpad: 0.83g (R&T: LS460 SWB 0.8g)
    700ft slalom, 100ft spacing: 63.6mph (LS460 SWB 59.9mpg)
    (I don't think the car equipped with Active Stabilizers, which should improve LS600hL's handling quite a bit.)

Observed FE: 20.8mpg

"What's remarkable is the Detail Refinement and how Seamlessly it all works together..."

"The 2.5-ton sedan responds more nimbly than something with 121.7inches between its axles really should..."

"Efficient, Comfortable and Safe, the G550 is the Lexus (600hL) of Large business jets..."
  • leaddawgleaddawg Member Posts: 4
    I've been in the market for a replacement vehicle to my fully loaded 2001 LS 430. I have enjoyed owning this car and would drive it till the wheels fall off, but am looking for AWD to better navigate the Midwest winters. Upon finding out about the new 600h I immediately placed an order for one. However, when called by my Lexus Rep recently and determining that the cost for mine would be between $116,000 and $120,000 I cancelled the order. I'm confident the 600hL is a fabulous vehicle, but I'm not willing to spend that much for that ride. My ideal car would be mine with AWD. Does anyone here know if Lexus has any intentions to add AWD to the 460L? Otherwise I'm leaning on a Black S550 with 4 Matic. I've owned numerous Lexus over the past 10 years. However, I find myself moving toward Mercedes Benz as we bought my wife a new loaded GL 450. Lexus has pushed to gain buyers from Mercedes and other Luxury makers. We're Lexus loyal, but just haven't found the right vehicle at the right time for our needs.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Look at the reliability ratings of MB in Consumers Report. I have previously had 5 of them, over time, and wouldn't touch the new ones.
  • leaddawgleaddawg Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for an AWD Luxury Vehicle in the $80 - $95k range. Not much to choose from. The A8L and the Mercedes S550. Wish Lexus was building the LS 460 L with AWD.

Is there anyone out there that owned an '01 to '03 LS 430 with the Ultra Luxury Package that purchased the new LS 460 L or a new 600hL? I'm curious what your thoughts are comparing the vehicles.
    but if it doesn't come by the mid-gen refresh, it ain't comin'. :sick:

Considering the GS and IS offer AWD, I'd say you have about a one in three chance.

DrFill
  • s550iwishs550iwish Member Posts: 28
    The LS460 is just not selling because nobody wants a japanese car anymore. Everyone is buying german cars such as the spacious MB S or even Audi A8/BMW 7. The MB S class is selling 2 to 1 over Lexus LS!!! ;)
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Not sure where you heard that but its not accurate. Automotive News reports the following: May 2007 sales for S Class: 2135, A8: 339, 7 Series: 1177, LS: 3196. For year to date through 5/31/07 the difference is even more pronounced. S Class: 10848, A8: 1626, 7 Series: 6492, LS: 14941. So to summarize, the LS sold almost 50% more than the S Class and over 120% more than the 7 Series. So no - everyone is not buying german cars!!!
  • lexustechlexustech Member Posts: 1
    The LS600H is all-wheel drive. It is expensive but for the power, fuel economy(for performance level), and eco-friendlines it is hard to beat if taken as a package.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Are they at the dealers yet?
  • fastcayennefastcayenne Member Posts: 3
    Saw my first lS600H yesterday (another customers delivery) , but the dealer told me that all cars that are being delivered for the first 90 days come with Premium Luxury package II for total of 115412.00.

I've had my order now for almost a year and really wanted the Executive luxury package II, but they advised me that even though on the Lexus website it's available as a special order, they cannot order it with this option.

Anyone know if this is indeed the case, or when this option will become available for order.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk to owners who uses or has used the “park assist” function in the new Lexus 600h L. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than August 29, 2007 with your daytime contact information

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I guess not all the elites in show business are enamored with hybrids.

YOKO ONO will never use an environmentally friendly car - because they are not as comfortable as her Bentley. The wife of late Beatle John Lennon has snubbed the Hybrid car - which is popular with Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz and Leonardo Di Caprio for its low pollution levels - in favour of travelling in luxury. She says, "Can someone make Hybrid cars as comfortable as a Bentley, please?"

LS600h not Comfy enough
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I don't think she was referring to the LS600h not being as comfy as a Bentley.

Did the article say this had anything at ALL to do with the LS600h?

I'd bet my life savings, retirement, and both of my electric vehicles that MISS Yoko "I'm Too Sexy For A Prius" ONO has never rested her old, wrinkled fanny inside an LS600h.
    Not having ridden in either the LS600h or Bentley, I am not the one to ask. I am sure if Yoko wanted to take out an LS600h for a test drive, Lexus would fall over backward to accomodate her.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.
    If Planet Earth didn't have enough reasons to hate one person........she makes Michael Vick seem like Santa Claus! :mad:

DrFill
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out Senior Editor John O'Dell's newest addition to our lineup, the Green Car Advisor for news and commentary on environmental automotive trends and technologies.

Looking forward to all your comments!
  • skylineblvdskylineblvd Member Posts: 1
    Having looked over the pros and cons of the LS600h/hL, I have to say that this car looks a lot like Gas Guzzler Lite. It accomplishes little compared with the LS460 except to merit the dubious distinction of wearing a "Hybrid" badge. I won't rehash what others have said about performance, space, mileage, etc., but merely want to state that these cars appear to target the "more money than brains" crowd - type-A overachievers who want to coddle their fat backsides in comfort, get there yesterday, and be able to pretend that they are fashionably green. In short, the bucks one would lay out for a '600h vs. a '460 buy nothing more than a false image.

You want luxury or performance? Go buy a luxury or performance car, sans token environmental gestures, and if your conscience still bothers you, or your "green" friends are miffed at you, take the extra money you'd have ponied up to buy a '600h and install some solar panels on your home.

I think the '600h is a joke, and not a funny one, at that. For sake of full disclosure, I'll add that a) I can't afford a '600h, but honestly this post is not about "sour grapes"; b) I drive a 2007 Altima 2.5SL sedan, Majestic Blue color, which is a peppy, beautiful car with enough room for my entire family and plenty of amenities and comfort, and it gets 27 mpg driving locally and well over 30 mpg (varies from 33 to 35) on long trips. AND it has, IMO, looks that rival the Lexus, if not the panache or the ponies. Cost? I paid $23k and change.

Skyline, a shameless but pragmatic tree-hugger
  • sunsonsunson Member Posts: 1
    Then, you'll have to tell Al Gore that he shouldn't have his mansion with solar panels, fluorescent lights, etc. Basically, the LS600hl is like Gore's home.

The reason why we have hybrids is to improve fuel economy while not sacrificing performance. Although, I'll agree that its mpg is disappointing.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    There hasn't been much activity on this board. Does that imply that nobody is buying the h or that people are gobbling it up and have absolutely no complaints to post?

It would be a shame for Lexus to have to take a big loss, but it does sound like the arguments against outweigh the pros.
    Sir Paul McCartney is said to be "horrified" that his new eco-friendly car was flown 7,000 miles from Japan.

The Lexus LS600H, which costs £84,000, was a gift from Lexus to the 65-year-old former Beatle, who helped promote the hybrid vehicle.

But instead of arriving by boat as expected, the car was flown to Britain on a Korean Air flight, creating a carbon footprint almost 100 times bigger than if it had come by sea.

Sir Paul is a vocal advocate of vegetarianism and has long been a poster child for environmental activism.

So much for the Big Green image Toyota longs to have.
  • ownalexus600lhownalexus600lh Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my Lexus 600HL for 20 days and here are my first impressions:

1) The car is very well made. The inside feels more like a hand made Rolls than any Lexus (I've owned 3 other LS430's prior to this one). The hand sewn leather dash, doors, etc. is a marvel to see and touch.

2) The car is very expensive (cost me $130,000 including taxes), and IMO is in the middle of the cost/value ratio. My car is equipped with all of the extras, including exec seating package, DVD players in the front and rear, shiatsu massage, 4 zone HVAC, 3 position air suspension, etc. It WILL take some time before I can confirm if the car is worth the price.

3) Handles extremely well in dangerous weather and was a life saver in last week's flash flood. The all wheel drive and the 'high setting' kept the car from hydroplaning in the streets where water had pooled from water run off from connecting streets. The car took me out of harm's way, while many other cars had been swamped and stalled in the extensive water in the roads. Since I've purchased the car in the summer, I'm not looking forward to seeing how it will handle in the snow.

4) The gas mileage has been very good. After 20 days of driving in NY Metro related rush hour traffic, driving many times into NYC as well as LI and highway driving, I'm averaging 22.1 MPG. That's a 30-40% improvement over my LS430. I do have some concern that the battery may not provide the same level of output after a few years, but Lexus 8 year warranty does give me some comfort.

5) This is the only car I've ever driven where I deliberately slow down and enjoy the ride rather than rush off to get to my destination. The cockpit reminds me of what's great about the 21st century. Feels more like a jet than a car. The 8 gear automatic is so smooth you don't even feel the car changing gears.

6) All the dials, controls, readouts, accessories, etc, are very logically located and operate intuitively. I didn't need to read the manual to know how to use everything.

7) The AV in the car, is sensational. 18 speakers driven by a digital surround processor and a hard drive that you can rip and organize up to 2,000 songs. My kids love the DVD player with the wireless headsets. What's really great for me is that I can listen to my music in the front while they listen to their movies in the back without disturbing each other. The SAT radio's reception is far superior to what I experienced in my old LS430 in areas that don't have a direct line of site to the satellite (under trees, tunnels, etc.)

8) My kids also love being able to recline in the rear seat with their legs up, their heads back, and get a massage while they watch their favorite movies. This is the first car I've owned where I would be just as happy sitting in the back as driving the car.

9) The car does drive differently than my old LS430. It is much heavier, longer and the incremental acceleration you get from the electric motor drive over the gas engine as soon as you hit the pedal takes some getting used to. In fact, it's so easy to accelerate to 80 MPH with so very little effort, I'm using the radar guided cruise control to avoid tickets for excessive speed. One minor negative, the radar guided cruise is not as smooth as the one that was in my old LS430, I think that may be due to significantly higher horsepower and possibly the electric engine torque. I hope to have this item fine tuned by Lexis when I take it in for my 1,000 mile check up.

10) The LED lights are extraordinary at lighting my path.

11) The car is very sexy, much sleeker than my old LS430. I really like the look, however, there is a trade off with visibility and lines of sight because the windshield and rear windows are more inclined. I've also noticed that the roof seems a notch lower, but you get used to these minor things quickly.

Lexus 600HL report card grade: A. I might just increase my rating to an A+ depending on how the car handles on ice and snowy roads this winter and how well it does on maintenance.

Stay tuned. I will repost a follow up report after I’ve had the car for 6 months.
  • alexis4alexis4 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading a while, but haven't posted. It's funny how the value of these cars has changed recently. Across the board there has been a lot of devaluation, but some of the smaller cars and even the smaller SUVs have done well in the pre-owned market. The LS 600h has never sold in great numbers, but some on Ebay were asking rather high prices. www.lexusenglewood.com
  • ch120842ch120842 Member Posts: 2
    This is to call the Toyota or Lexus Hybrid car owners’ attention to braking gap problems. We owned the Lexux LS 600 HL for one year before we experienced the braking problem.

The first incident happened in a parking lot in early October ’09. The Lexus would not stop and ran over the curb and walkway and ended into a grassy area near a fountain. We ignored this incident and did not report it until the last incident happened. The last incident happened at a one-way stop which crosses the intersection of a two way heavily traveled thoroughfare. The car failed to stop at the stop sign, crossed two lanes of traffic, and ran into hedges and a street sign before coming to a stop. There was damage to the body of the car (bottom & front). We reported this to our Lexus Dealer. They were very nice to accommodate us with a loaner car. They sent our complaint to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Center in Naperville, IL. Their complaint investigation was totally unacceptable. They advised that they have no history for the subject warranty problem and repair records and are unable to duplicate our concerns.

We are surprised that Toyota/Lexus did not even consider human life issue or even their own brand image. They should know that similar problems did occur and exist in Prius and Highlander hybrid vehicles during the past few years and are all shown on this website. I can’t believe that Toyota/Lexus ignore this problem and don’t even educate the vehicle operators on how to control the brake if this is a minor problem (which I believe is a major problem).

I don’t want to wait until someone crashes and dies.

Please advise me what action I should take or how to advise the other owners so they won’t be sacrificed.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    What exactly happened? Did the brake pedal just go to the floor?
  • nz8y0tnz8y0t Member Posts: 2
    I think the braking gap problems of Lexus/Toyota Hybrid car could result from glitch of braking control software. Basically there are two types of brake control used to manage brake allocation between service (mechanical) brake and regenerative (electric) brake in the hybrid vehicle. There are parallel or series braking.

In parallel braking system, both service barke and regenerative brake are activated simultaneously whenever driver applys the brake pedal. In series braking system, only regenerative brake is activated during initial travel of brake pedal, and then service brake is activated if brake pedal is depressed further. There are pros and cons for both systems.

Although the parallel braking system can not recover 100 % regenerative braking energy as series braking system does, it always provides some braking torque through using service brake when battery is fully charged during initial travel of brake pedal .

If Lexus/Toyota hybrid vehicles use simple series braking system, driver could lose all brake torque during initial travel of brake pedal if battery is fully charged at the momemt of applying brake pedal

Simple series braking system could be refined to avoid loss of brake torque by adding additional service brake to compensate loss of regenerative brake during initial travel of brake pedal if battery is fully charged. It requires sophisticated braking control software to maintain consistant brake torque by using less electric and more service brake. It may result in losing brake torque due to brake control software glitch or not accurate estimation of battery status.
  • nz8y0tnz8y0t Member Posts: 2
    I think the braking gap problems of Lexus/Toyota Hybrid car could result from glitch of braking control software. Basically there are two types of brake control used to manage brake allocation between service (mechanical) brake and regenerative (electric) brake in the hybrid vehicle. There are parallel or series braking.

In parallel braking system, both service barke and regenerative brake are activated simultaneously whenever driver applys the brake pedal. In series braking system, only regenerative brake is activated during initial travel of brake pedal, and then service brake is activated if brake pedal is depressed further. There are pros and cons for both systems.

Although the parallel braking system can not recover 100 % regenerative braking energy as series braking system does, it always provides some braking torque through using service brake when battery is fully charged during initial travel of brake pedal .

If Lexus/Toyota hybrid vehicles use simple series braking system, driver could lose all brake torque during initial travel of brake pedal if battery is fully charged at the momemt of applying brake pedal

Simple series braking system could be refined to avoid loss of brake torque by adding additional service brake to compensate loss of regenerative brake during initial travel of brake pedal if battery is fully charged. It requires sophisticated braking control software to maintain consistant brake torque by using less electric and more service brake. It may result in losing brake torque due to brake control software glitch or not accurate estimation of battery status.
  • mybag108mybag108 Member Posts: 1
    Was told that I may have the first reported leather shrink...Costing over 15K for the repair, glad that Lexus is picking up this bill
  • svitalysvitaly Member Posts: 1
    :cry: :P ;)
This discussion has been closed.