Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes Benz R-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• whitdogwhitdog Member Posts: 5
    Looks like th $9K incentive on the '08s expired - nothing replaced it, at least according to Edmunds.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    You should wait a few days before assuming that the $9k incentive went away. Sometimes edmunds is a week or so behind--particularly at the beginning of the month...
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Incentives were due to end november 1st according to edmunds and mercedes. Last week being the last week of October was one of the reasons i purchased the car. I did not want to miss out on the 9 thousand back and 3.9 interest rate. Was able to get more then 9 off the car and got the special interest rate also. I'm very happy it all feel into place. Been watching edmunds to see if mercedes offered a better deal in November but I know that in my area MD, DC, VA all 08 are gone.

If they did I would not be able to find a car to take advantage of the savings.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Good job. My wife has been begging me to buy her one, but the stroller wouldn't fit in the back. She'll probably get an M-Class when our eldest leaves for college in 2010.
  • doccoloradodoccolorado Member Posts: 8
    Checking on new 2008 CDI R320's around the country, wow, are they discounting these things. !

MSRP of $51,750, OTD price of $41,000 + 200dh = $41,200. P01, Heated Seats, Pano Roof, iPod Connector. No metalic paint. This is below invoice significantly.

I also called around the country, found this to be easily obtained. Today I received a letter from my "local" MB, (we have 3 or 4 in Colorado) offering "up to" $15,000 the R models at a sale this upcoming weekend. Of course they don't have any R320's.

we close on the deal I made in about a week as it's being shipped in.
  • herisheris Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I'm sorry that I'm just now responding....months later. The Orange Park Mercedes Benz dealership. link title
  • watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    Pricing range seems very large I'm seeing the same cars with 2X the miles being listed for more than what many people were reporting for new purchase prices.

Thinking 30K ish range for a 12Kish 08 CDI. Anyone experience the same 7sp issues they had with the 06's and 07's? This is my major stumbling block for the MB the 7spd issues scare me enough to go elseware.

Anythoughts experiences shared are much appreciated
    Thank you
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Purchased a new 2008 Mercedes R class on Oct 21'st of this year. The day after i bought the car i noticed a ding in the front fender and many scratches all over the car. Called the dealer who informed me that they would take care of it at the time I came in for its 1,000 mile service. This being a mercedes I trusted them and figured all would be taken care of. As the days went on I noticed the hood had dents in it. As I was walking up to the car from the front I noticed dents all over the hood of the car. At this point I called the dealer, they said again they would take care of it at time of service. I told them I would be bringing it in asap not waiting for service. They agreed and the date was set. Dropped the car off on day of service and figured they would get a dent repair guy to look at it. that afternoon I get a call from the sales manager now stating that they see no dents what so ever. I jumped in the car drove to the dealership and pointed out all the defects. Sales manager told me it was all orange peal. BULL! So any ways he then changed his tone and said they will fix everything. I left and a day went past and nothing so on the second day I called to ask what was happening to my car. They informed me that they had found an issue with the sunroof and a part was missing that was on back order. We are talking a new mercedes here with only a few hundred miles and I had never even used the sunroof due to cold weather at this point. So long story short mercedes dealer had my new car for two weeks waiting on a part for the sun roof. At this point I had faith that they during this time were fixing all the dents and scratches on the car. Finally I got a call after two weeks saying my car could be picked up. Went to get it only to find nothing had been done to any of the dents or scratches and they had damaged the hood of the car. I now have a dent sticking out of the hood. Some way they have pulled the metal out of the hood as if someone had closed the hood on the car and left something under it. Needless to say I was pissed. The cars not even a month old. At this point the service manager said they were sorry and called in the general manager who went on to say how its not the dealer fault and they see no damage to the car and that any damage on the car has been due to my fault. I informed him that we had emails to the sales man stating the issues she then went on to say its still not there fault. I left, came home called the ower of the dealership who offered a meeting with me. Drove back up a fourth time to meet with him only to have him look at the car and say he would be in touch in a few days. Few days went past and nothing. I repeated called never to get a call back. I then contacted MBUSA who informed me that it had to be delt with at a dealer level. Can you believe this? So I emailed everyone I could at MBUSA Corporate, Daimler Corporate and the dealership stating the issues and they way I have been treated. At that point I did get a call back from Corp (MBUSA) stating they would open a case file to have the car bought back. I felt relieved. This was three weeks ago. During that time MBUSA has told me we need to meet with the east coast regional manager. So I set up a meeting with him. During my time waiting for the meeting day to come I informed him that our gaol is to have mb buy the car back or replace it with a new car. I also informed him that I had to spent 200 to have a few dents takin out already and that the hood now has to be fully repainted at the tune of 850 dollars and there is still two other hail dents that need to be fixed for another 200 dollars. So I'm looking at 1200 out of pocket on body work on a new car. And the dealer saw nothing? Regional manager called today to inform me that they dont see reason for a meeting and that the dealer now makes the call on replacement cars. I'm getting the run around!!!!!!!!!!! I have no clue now what to do. They are trying to wear me down so that I go away. MBUSA has been no help at all. I now have a 60,000 mercedes with hail damage which they deny but I found out it sat on the lot during two hail storms over the summer and I also have a car that has been damaged by the dealer costing me to have to get the hood repainted on a new car meaning it wont have the facotroy paint on it and it may never match. On top of that resale will take a nose dive due to the painted hood making it look as if he may have been in an accident at some point. Any ideas on how I can get a replacement car or get mercedes to buy this car back from me? I will never buy another mercedes again. I have always had BMW's which I loved but we needed a bigger car then what BMW had to offer and I regret it 100% Any advise would be great.

Thanks!
    That was my first guess before I read the whole thing. There are terrible dealers out there seems you found one. I'm in CA hail is rare and not big enough to do damage but I think automakers have hail damage policies that are pretty strict. In this case I think you face a buyer beware issue. I also hope that you paid between 8 and 10K below MSRP for your R given thats what they seem to be going for. Given the hail damage the dealer should have been even more willing to sell it for more than 10K below MSRP.

I really don't know what to say except to have all agreements in writing - do not accept over the phone - sure we'll fix it verbal agreements.

That and if hail damage dents bother you - it should have been noticed during the purchase and either factored into the price or another car should have been found for you.

No fix for crappy dealers and buying a car without noticing issues. It sucks - I wish you luck but its a long hill to climb.

For anyone looking a fairly complex vehicles and dropping large amounts of money on them - you need to make sure every item operates as advertised new or used. If a dealer is rushing you and not allowing you time to flip seats up and down - open close sun roofs - open close auto tailgates manually and automatic - running airconditioning systems - multiple fan settings - running power seats up and down every which way and checking it over for dents and scratches. A dealer rushing you is hiding something or just a crappy dealer. It's your money and the vehicle will be yours if its right. All the dealer has is an upside so they shouldn't rush you and if they do - you should tell them where they can go.
    Now days with the cost of repairs being quite high and the complexity of the MB cars or even the BMW's - even for a new car I would request a Vin - report check via the dealer or the manufacturer. They want to sell the cars on their lot and if the car is everything they say it is they should have no issue giving you the Vin report which will have all the vehicle notes listed. Recall fixes - any shipping damage that was fixed - hail records- or low milege lease returns will have even more info - any complaints or issues the former owner had will be in that report. Things like hard shifting - fixs done - autogates not working correctly - any electrical issues etc.

The Autofax reports are more generic they list major things such as reported accidents and major service intervals etc.

I'm researching the R's the CDI's being my only interest in MB. I hope to talk with a MB transmission guy to get the scoop on the 7spd stuff. If what he has to say about it is positive - then I'll search for an R and do all that I just mentioned. If I'm unable to get a vin report on the vehicle I won't take a second look at it - if for some reason MB dealers all refuse to share the vin history then I will never own a MB and will go to a Auto builder with a better track record and find another vehicle to buy. Cars are too damn expensive now days to take some random guys word at a dealership.

Research your vehicles!!!!! Before you buy them! - The one you end up with will make you happy and if a problem crops up you know you did everything possible to avoid any issues.
  • wettermanwetterman Member Posts: 1
    This is a great and timely post. We are close to putting a bid in on a MB certified black 2008 R350 with P02 options (case has 15 k miles) car is at a local dealer. Dealer has the car listed at $41k and the salesman says "Make me an offer". Car is very good to excellent condition - we are thinking of going with an offer of $37k. What is the thought out there with all the experience and research? Thnx much for your help - wanting to close this deal before the first of the year. From the internet searching I have done, seems like the 2008 R350 class is slim pickings.
  • yetialanyetialan Member Posts: 13
    Got a new one for less a few months ago if you can hold out I am sure MB will offer 9 off the car and 4 more to sell at or under invoice. They are goign to tweak it for later 09 2010 release to match new E class style if you can hold out wait for a new one wiht discounts if not still a great car and not a bad price at 37 since you will get a longer warrentte
  • my2girlzmy2girlz Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to locate a new 2008 R320 so I can take advantage of the marketing support being offered. I looked on yahoo and edmunds. Some of the cars listed are not available What is the most reliable way. Also, how do I negotiate marketing support?

Thanks
  • yetialanyetialan Member Posts: 13
    I found mine by emailing all local dealers using automated emailing from MBUSA, edmunds.com, cars.com etc.
    The only ones out there still most likely have miles on them from service loaners or used by dealer staff, etc.

Love the car great in snow and with all discounts applied cheaper then loaded honda pilot
    What kind of marketing support IS BEING OFFERED now and on what models?
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    I know ML is made in USA. Also, for C class if the 5th letter in VIN is
    F, then it means the car is built in Germany. But for R-class,
    Where is R class made? in USA, or in Germany?
  • big_tabig_ta Member Posts: 7
    Hi I am planning to buy a MB R 350 from a MB dealer as a Certified Pre Owned (CPO). The various add around the bay area shows USD 25K for a 20-30K Mile car with different options. The lowest one is from one dealer called ACA cars. I have not heard them before. Any Idea what a good price would be? Edmunds TMV quotes about 22K to 27K range. Any one here is buying any CPO in the Bay Area. How much is the dealer ready to bring down from the offered price?
    All R class is made in the USA in Alabama plant along with the ML SUV. One more reason to be worried about the quality.
  • mukkamalamukkamala Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine recently in bay area. R350 2006 with around 28k miles. CPO.
    With AMP package, Nav, etc. Paid 26.5. Looks like the price has gone up by few k in the last few weeks as R's have been selling well. As the options seem to vary a lot, I went for comparison using the list price and mine was around 60k.
    How do you like it? I am worried about the maintenance of an old MB. How much service does the extended warranty covers and what does it cover? And once warranty is over, if I have to fix something on a MB, do I have to pay really high. I have an Audi, but for 4 years, everything is covered in this vehicle. I have heard horror stories about fixing old MB where even a regular work cost 700$ and any major fix can be 3K or more. I don't want to pay more later for an even older car to fix.
  • varunkuvarunku Member Posts: 13
    A dealer is giving R500 12k miles for $31k, does this seem to be the going price for this car ? Looks like this price is very attractive.. Thanks !
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Hi, Guys:
    In Bay Area, for C280, dealer will charge $230 for serice A - engine oil and filter change plus several visual check, $720 for service B - engine oil/filter, air filter, cabin duct filter, plus several viusal check. So definitely, it is expensive.
    For R350 with less than 30K miles, if you can get it between 20K-25K, I think it is good price. R and ML are built at USA, it has much lower reliabilty than C, E class.
    I just bought a R350 2006 model for $26600 + Tax with 12 k miles on it. I didn't check that the nav was working, it wasn't listed in the options for the car. But I did see a NAV DVD slot in the car. Can someone help let me know if a car without navigation comes without this DVD nav slot ? I just want to make sure that the car I had purchased has NAV option. I bought from mercedese dealer so I hope I wasn't misled. Thanks !
  • merseemersee Member Posts: 12
    maybe it is missing the actual DVD. I'm not sure, but I believe my R350 has a DVD in the nav slot.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If it wasn't listed in the options then you weren't mislead. No big deal though, you can get a garmin or tom-tom portable that works fine for a great price. If your deal was certified you got a good deal -- only 12k!
  • spam1spam1 Member Posts: 2
    If this helps anyone....I recently purchased a 2007 with 15,000 miles Nav, Pano roof, Park sensors, power trunk, and a few other options for $25,900. I Thought this was a great deal and we love the car. Not CPO but plenty of original warranty left. Most of the ones we looked at previously with these options/miles were around 28 to 31. I hope it is reliable..It drives really nice.
  • syysyy Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2008 R350 ( 8 mo. old) with 6K miles with P1 &P2, AMG trim, 7 seat, nav, Rear Entertainment and Panaromic Sunroof, CPO with 2 year extended warr for $42K. I think I got a good deal. But found out that you need to buy a Bluetooth adapter to make the phone work.My wife loves the car so far. But it seems odd that in this day and age you have to buy an adapter.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Mazda CX-9 or Mercedes-Benz R Class vehicle and decide to drive versus fly when vacationing. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, April 10, 2009.
  • acorvineacorvine Member Posts: 17
    Kyfdx,

What would be a good price for this car in NJ?? I have seen them listed around 30's. I am only will to pay 25-27, do you think that's reasonable? Also do you know how expensive ruitine maintenance is on the vehicles?? Thanks.
    Can I ask where you bought you R350 from?? You said you bought it new for less then 37k??? Thanks.
    where did you buy the vehicle, this is a very good price...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Page back a bit, and I think you'll see where Mercedes Financial was selling R350s to their lessees for $23K-$27K..

For a CPO from a dealer, you'll probably have to add $4K-$5K to that, to make a deal...

Or, get the current auction value in Real-World Trade-In Values

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Thanks for you response to my last question. I read a few messages back about a vin report on cars and that the dealers are the one's who issue them. I inquired about it from the dealership I'm working with and they salesmen said they only have carfax reports? Should I be leary and insist on getting one before our purchase?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    For a late model Mercedes, the service department should have a service record for the car, detailing all maintenance/warranty work. They should be able to show you that report, though they may not give you a copy, because it is technically, confidential.

That's a good way to screen out a particularly problematic unit (or a wake-up call, if you think maintaining a Mercedes will be cheap...lol).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• car_edcar_ed Member Posts: 1
    where did you buy this vehicle
  • kpjkpj Member Posts: 6
    I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A NEW R350 AND WANTED TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY DEALER INCENTIVES IN MAY TO BE AWARE OF. THE DEALER IS ONLY WANTING TO COME OFF 3% MSRP OF $56295.

IT HAS THE PO1 PACKAGE, TELE AID, PANARAMA SUNROOF, AND HEATED SEATS.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
  • mbr350mbr350 Member Posts: 3
    I recently paid $28,688 ($32k OTD) for a CPO 2006 R350 with 32k miles and P2 package, TeleAid, listed at $29,995 (dealer showed original MSRP was $59k+) in the SF Bay Area.

The car had 22" rims and tires. I had them swapped out for the original standard 18" rims and tires. I figured it would save me the addl. expense when it is time to replace tires. Also, the smaller wheels help with gas mileage. The dealer said their FEG is only $258 on this deal. I did a good bit of online and dealer research before walking into to negotiate this deal. However, I have a feeling I might have left another at least $600 - $1000 on the table. It has been over 9 years since I had last car shopped.

Does anyone else have anecdotal evidence of prices paid in the Bay Area or else where?
  • certifidcrnutcertifidcrnut Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I was wondering what a decent price for a R350 w/Nav, Harmon Kardon, Parktronic and a Pana roof, but no Bluetooth or back up camera would be? The minivan has 43K miles on it and is a CPO from a DC/MD/VA dealer.
  • tiwaritiwari Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just finalized the price for 2009, R350 with P1, Panoramic sunroof, heated seats for 44K, do you think it is great price? I am still negotiating with other deals. It looks like mercedes just offer 10K off on this model. hope this helps.
  • coolnikcoolnik Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Got this one in NC for $31k OTD it had 27k miles on it, pano roof, nav and 6 cd mp3 player, harmon-kardon speakers. Also got the dealer's maintenance package for $1.3k which would cover the regular maintenance upto 70k miles. B2B warranty exists for another 2 yrs or 100k miles.

I have second thoughts about the 1.3K maintenance pack, it sounded good at the time, the reasonoing was it is 30% off the regular price paid at a dealer. Maybe I can get it serviced at any MB shop, but since it is under warranty, I went with this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Nik
    That's a good deal. Is it a 2007? I would have gone with a warranty extension over the dealer maintenance pack.
  • smilingbuddhasmilingbuddha Member Posts: 7
    Dealer is asking 43K for this car:

PREMIUM 1 PKG, SPORT APPEARANCE PKG, TRAILER HITCH, HEATED FRONT SEATS, PANORAMA SUNROOF W/PWR SUNSHADE and Teleaid. Factory warranty started in Feb 2009

Has anybody here bought a demo? Does this deal make sense?
    Clarify -- 55000 miles on a demo?
  • smilingbuddhasmilingbuddha Member Posts: 7
    sorry I meant 55 miles...corrected subject
    55 miles is a new car -- hardly a demo. How could the warranty start in feb ? The answer is that they bought it at auction from some dealer who dumped it for financial reasons perhaps. Review the carfax and find out where the car came from. They could make it cpo which would restore the warranty a bit.
  • johnwang378johnwang378 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 07 R350 on labor day weekend. 29K miles, 4Matic, Premium 1 pkg (panorama sunroof, Harmon Kardon, etc), navigation, and Buetooth. It has 2.5 year warranty including 1 year from CPO.

I paid $32K OTD and got 4.7% finance for 60 months. I am in SF bay area so the tax itself is 10%.

Dealer try to sell another 2-year 10K mile warranty for additional $2500. Shall I go for it?
  • sprinttdisprinttdi Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2008 R320 CDI with 38k miles. They were origianlly asking 38k, I was able to get OTD $34kish (haggler I am), white/black, Dallas, Tx area. Most dealers I spoke with were all asking high 30's to low $40's. I almost lost the deal once, or at least was "told" someone already had a down payment. Called back later to speak with someone else and the deal apparently fell through. This was NOT from a MB dealership and the only one on their lot.

I locked in 3.7% financing though my credit union (Randolf Brooks Federal Credit Union) for 66 months! Best I found at the time. High miles for a 2008 but who cares for a diesel? Does not have the panoramic roof but not a requirement. Has basically everything else. I did not pick up a warranty just yet, will run the rest of the 50k manufactures warranty and purchase an extended from my credit union at that time.

Looks to be the best deal I have found all together! Happy hunting. Not many around these days and sellers were very quick to point this out. Regards.
    It is worth purchasing the extended warranty. One mechanical/electrical problem and you'll easily out spend the cost of your warranty three times over. Mercs are notoriously expensive to maintain. I'd recommend it. I think you got a good deal on the car. Don't short change yourself on the coverage.
  • johnwang378johnwang378 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your suggestion, mbr350. I checked edmunds true maintain cost and they put ~$2000 repair per year after warranty. I need think twice about the extended coverage. Anyway, I very enjoy my MB r350 so far. I can get 24+ mpg in highway. A great car!
    Are you saying another 2 year 100K or do you mean exactly what you're typing: 2 year, 10,000, as in ten thousand mile warranty for $2,500 dollars? If so, BS for 10K miles. Also, he can do far better on that price and mileage. I would have gotten a far better deal btw. Last year, I bought a dealer's demo 2008, never titled with under 11K miles, with the extended 100K warranty from the dealer for an additional $800 dollars. My out the door price on my R320 CDI, P2, with Bluetooth, white, MB hex mats, 2 Invision DVD's with four headsets made for Mercedes Benz and color matched to my vehicle's interior link title, Ipod, Harmon-Kardon, and more... $42K even out the door.