Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• catscatcatscat Member Posts: 4
    HEY, I JUST FOUND OUT THROUGH MY DEALERSHIP THAT MY 04 COLORADO HAS A LEAK IN CYLINDER 5. $3400 PLUS SHOPTIME FOR ATLEAST A WEEK! AFTER READING ALL OF YOUR HEADACHES, ATLEAST I CAN FIND SOLICE IN NUMBERS. HOW DID YOU INIATE THE PROCESS WITH GM TO HELP PICK UP THE TAB? I AM OUT OF WARRANTY @ 67K AND LOOKING FOR SOME TYPE OF HELP. I HAVE BROUGHT IT IN SEVERAL TIMES FOR "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT BOTH TIMES THE LIGHT WASN'T ON AT THE TIME. CURRENTLY, THE LIGHT IS REMAINING ON AND THEY FOUND THE ISSUE.
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    Before I'd invest that much money in it I'd work out some type of trade with a GM dealer given the mileage and the year.
    yes, it would be a good idea. Though I have leased this said vehicle and I am way over my milage allowance and I have already too much negative equity. GM's new warranty does sound nice at least I would be still in warranty! Thanks for your response.
    Eeeek .....ya sure behind the 8 ball!
    Maybe have it stolen....lol
    You might try finding a dealer who will be willing to work with you. There are some good dealers out there but like everything else you'll have to do some 'window shopping.'
    Have you tried contacting the GM Customer Service Dept and explain to them your situation?
    JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH GM CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY ARE GOING TO PAY 25 %. IT IS SURE BETTER THAN NOTHING. 3 YEARS AGO THE 5 CYLINDER LOOKED SO COOL, HIND SIGHT IS THE BEST SIGHT!

IT WILL BE A TOUGH SELL TO MY WIFE, IF I WANT ANOTHER AMERICAN MADE VEHICLE!

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF THE I5 CHEVY OWNERS!
  • donn2390donn2390 Member Posts: 23
    I was a GM line tech for many years. They will first give you a price. If you pay it, they win. If you complain a bit, they will drop to the next plateau. The louder the screaming gets, the more the price drops. Raise enough Hell and it will go to nothing. Just like insurance companies, they don't give their best price without a fight...
    GM knows they have a problem. Make them fix it for free. They will, if you convince them loud enough
    jUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH GM. DINKS! BECUASE I AM ASKING FOR MORE ASSISTANCE, THAT I AM OVER WARANTY MILES AND THAT I DID NOT REGULAR SERVICE MY VEHILCE WITH DEALERSHIP SERVICE THEY WANTED REVOKE THE ORIGINAL 25% ASSISTANCE! THEY CLAIM THAT I DROVE WITH THE LIGHT ON FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS THAT I AM IN NEGLECT. DAMN! THE TECH TOLD ME AFTERWARDS THAT IT WOULD NOT DO ANYMORE HARM TO THE ENGINE IF I CONTINUED TO DRIVE.

SHOULD I PURSUE THIS FUTHER UP THE FOOD CHAIN AT GM CUSTOMER SERVICE? COULD I POTENTIALLY BE HOLDING THE ENTIRE $4000? SEEMS AS IF THE DEALERSHIP IS TOWING THE COMPANY LINE AND NOT SUPPORTING ME. FUNNY HOW THOSE DEALERSHIPS WORK. tHEY QUOTED ME OVER $3400. ONCE GM CAME TO THE TABLE, MY PORTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN $2500 BUT NOW THE NEW QUOTE FOR MY END IS AROUND $1800. dO I ALSO HAVE A SHADY DEALERSHIP?

lOOKS LIKE I WILL BE DRIVING A RICE BURNER FOR 2008!
    Shop around for the best price.
    That's what I'd do.
    Either way you are going to have to pony up some of your own money to get this millstone(Canyon/Colorado) off of your neck.
    Make the outlay as painless as possible for yourself.

Whether you buy a Rice Burner for 2k8 or another homegrown truck, it's going to be a costly learning experience for you.
    Do your research next time and look at what 'long term cost' will be for you. The homegrown trucks might be able to get you into a new truck cheaper but you need to look at resale values and how much you spend on Malox..... :)
  • gozips31gozips31 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to let you know that I have had the same problem with my Colorado I purchased in August. After numerous discussions and attempts to fix this problem since Dec. 06, I received a call yesterday. The dealer informed me that GM was going to replace my entire engine from my 06 with the new engine from the 07. They also admitted that there were numerous problems with the 06 engine that couldn't be fixed and were taken care of in the 07 engine. Don't give up and keep after the dealer. After 5 months, I finally won (I think!).
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    I don't know but it seems for all the complaints, they cover only a few aspects of the truck. I never here the experience from drivers of other models, who spend theiir time complaining about the Chev/GMC.You have to realize that this is a mass produced item and problems will arise. A head that looked good during the design faise and failed under evey day use is something that happens. Sure they should have found it before using it, bit in realit of all those produced what percenae had the problem.
    This a truck; a $25,00 dollar vehicle. Not much when compared to some sedans on the road.
    As to performance; I have an 05 Z71 crew cab. I have the K+N fipk and a couple other minor things. I have the performance axle. It has plent of Torque and plenty of pick up. From stop and at speed it just climbs the rpm band and continues to put out. Most impressive is 70 to 105, it does it almost as fast as my vette (well not really) but it is strong and all at 17 mpg.So all and all I haven't got a lot to complain about. My 99 FRC Corvette went back more often then my truck. ;)
    Does your '06 have the manual or automatic transmission?
  • febrilefebrile Member Posts: 9
    Different strokes for different folks... I would not be at all happy with 17 MPG when the rating is 22 highway. I get 23 with mine since they fixed the head. When I first got it (06/05) the mileage was at 24 and better. :lemon:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Ideally the 4.2 inline 6 should be the standard engine in the Silverado/Sierra.
    Common sense would sure dictate this but adhering to the old adage "if you want to know the real answer follow the money trail" and to me that tells me it's less expensive to manufacture the V6 4.3 vs the I6.
    I'm only guessing on this.
    Would welcome to know if this does not apply in this case.
    The I series engine is the future. It's far cheaper to produce, and much more efficient than the old iron V6. The new casting method allows them design blocks that weren't possible before. They are sorting out the problems and the engine is getting better and better.
    Read this, and you will see there is no turning back the clock. The I series is taking over...
    http://www.castsolutions.com/pdf/Engine_2004.pdf
  • ckameyckamey Member Posts: 2
    I'm running into the same problem - with 86,000 miles and GM is not going to pay for it, on top of which the dealer that I was using just went out of business. I have a complaint into GM Customer Service, which got me nowhere. Who did you send your letter to?
  • nogmfannogmfan Member Posts: 4
    My '06 I4 4x4 has 6800 miles on it. I've had it about 8 months. It's going into the shop next week for new valves and cylinder head. It seems from this and other forums that there's allot of I4's and I5's having this cylinder misfire problem. I’m hearing it has something to do with inferior valve seats and that the replacement cylinder heads have hardened seats. Can't believe GM is still having such serious quality control problems.

I asked GM for an extension on the drive train warranty and they pretty much told me to pound salt. So now I'm hoping to hear from those of you who've put some mileage on their truck after having the cylinder head and valve replacement done. Is it time to trade this thing in and cut my losses or should I stick it out?

Are there any Colorado cylinder head replacement veterans out there that can offer some long term reviews?
  • tm4tm4 Member Posts: 19
    I don't know if I would call it long term review, but mine was done about 6000 miles ago and it seems to be fine. I think it still idles better than when it was new. I haven't notices any strange vibrations or power loss.
    I would say keep it until the 36,000 mile warranty is close at hand. If the truck hasn't had any more problems up to that point, it will probably be okay.
    Thanks tm4.

A crystal ball would be good to have right about now.
  • jcr7jcr7 Member Posts: 2
    2006 colorado check engine lite came on for a misfire cyl#3.twice this year.both times that this has happen the lite always goes out the next day. could this be the valve springs or head problem.or something else.
    jcr7,

It's possible you have the cylinder head problem. If you haven't already done so, take it in to the dealer and have them check it out.

There's a coloradofans website with lots of technical and first hand owner info about the head problems on the I4 and I5 GM engine.

http://coloradofans.com/viewforum.php?f=43
  • cairncairn Member Posts: 1
    Does the four cylinder engine exhibit the same forementioned problems with the cylider heads as the five cylinder? Just curious as I recently purchased a Colorado with the 2.8L four cylinder. Thanks.
    It depends on the year of the vehicle. The I-4 did have the problem, but all cylinder head/valve problems seem to have been solved with the 2007 model year
  • canyon06canyon06 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the head replaced on my 06 Canyon due to rough idle and a mis-fire in cylinder one. I got the truck back and it's definately running better, smoother idle etc. however I drive over a very steep mountain and it has totally lost its umph in that situation. Has anyone else experienced this?

I played dumb on the phone and asked if the head replacement was a wide spread problem and the guy said no. Riiiight... I've done my research buddy! :shades:
  • gmbluesgmblues Member Posts: 7
    Luckily for me I haven't had any real serious problems with my 05 Colorado. But I just found out about this valve problem when I got a notice in the mail from GM. So I'm just starting to research the issue. Basically they are extending the warranty for this issue to 7 years (I think that is the number, I don't have the letter in front of me) or 100,000 miles.

I have about 37k miles on the truck now. The only problem I'm seeing is during cold starts the engine will misfire while cranking.

My question is should I start chasing after a dealer now to replace the heads. My gut tells me to wait and let the mileage rack up and see how it goes. But I also don't want to get stuck some place or have the truck down for an extended amount of time if the dealer has to order parts.

Any advice??

Jim

BTW Over the years I have definitely been a GM fan and loyal to the bow tie. I made a conscious decision to purchase the Colorado over a Toyota because it being a US built truck by a US company. Well I'm afraid this may be the last GM product for me. I also had a Bonneville with intake manifold problems (costing me $2,000) which GM hung me out to dry on....
  • febrilefebrile Member Posts: 9
    What is your mileage figure? My '05 Z85 LS I5/5speed manual went from 24mpg down to about 20mpg. After the head was replaced, it is back to 24. It doesn't pull hills in 3rd @ 20 mph as well as it did when new. 30K now.
    You got a notice in the mail? When did GM start handing those out? Is everyone else getting them too? So far I have not had any trouble since the head was replaced on my 06 I-5. But it would be nice peace of mind to know that the waranty has been extended.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I got my notice yesterday. I have an '05 with 18,000 miles on it. So far, so good..........
    Sure did. It's good to see GM taking this step but you know it's because the problem is significant. I don't know who will qualify for the extended warranty.

Here is another forum that has a lot of good info http://coloradofans.com/forum/

Here is a copy of the letter....

• jcr7jcr7 Member Posts: 2
  • cdf1cdf1 Member Posts: 3
    If you have not got your letter from GM it's coming and it's paid by GM if you still have warr. this is a new warr. they have just started it not a recall because is not a safety item
  • bpmikebpmike Member Posts: 3
    Just reached 47K miles on 05 Z71 and have the head problem. Fortunately I received the warranty letter last week. The heads are presently on back order.

BPMike
    What kinds of symptoms were you seeing?

Also I'll be interested in your opinion on how the truck runs with the new head. Some people have complained about less power.

Jim
    "Check Engine" light was on and I experienced an intermittent idle roughness...more a vibration. The head is on back order and I have not been given an ETA as yet. I have two acquaintances with 2006 models and they have experienced the same problem and head replacement at 32K and 36K mi. I'll keep you posted on the "after head" performance.
    In their defense the dealer gave me NO trouble or doubletalk...checked OBD codes and ordered the head. (Harbor Chevy in LB CA)

BPMike
    Does anyone know how common this is percentage wise? Even though the trucks haven't been out 5-years, I wonder how many with high mileage have not experienced this problem? I am a little concerned about this because my nephew bought a 2005 GMC with 5-cylinder this past winter brand new. It is his first vehicle.
    I don't know if I have ever heard a percentage given. I would imagine only GM has those figures. I don't think you will get anything from them. You read about a lot of problems, but the vast majority have never had a problem, so those people aren't in here writing.
    It is obviously a serious problem does exist, hence the extended warrantee that recently came out. The problem seems to have been completely resolved in the 2007 model. Owners of trucks manufactured before 2007 should not have to worry with the 100k mile warrantee. By that time, you have either already had your head replaced under warrantee, or you're not going to ever have a problem.
    The 2007 heads have no problem, GM found out the problem and fixed it successfully, and use the same knowledge in the replacement heads. Heads replaced on older models will now be bulletproof.
    Tell your nephew to rest easy.
  • rh4455rh4455 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer replaced head, but took 2 weeks to get all the parts in and another full week to do the work. Has been running ok now, 25-26 mpg highway. I have discovered I really don't like the HUGE turning radius of this truck, wow, rented a Lincoln Town Car and it turns MUCH shorter.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Maybe after you load a half ton of dirt in the trunk of the town car you will change your mind. Come on lets compare apples to apples :P
    Ahh the Ranger. Prior to the Colorado I had a 1999 Ranger. The truck served me well but looking at a new Rangers it was literally identical to the one I had. So I couldn't get myself to buy one. I've always been a GM person so going to the Colorado was not to difficult even though I thought Ford did a better job detailing the Ranger.

Now I'm totally pissed off at GM and will probably never purchase another GM product. I should have gotten the Ranger or even the Tacoma if I could get past the foreign car thing.
    You got your head replaced for free, the truck runs great and you get 25-26 miles per gallon. Sure sounds to me like you have plenty of reason to be upset with GM.
    I guess driving Fords for a few years screwed up your reasoning abilities......
    The head was replaced by Harbor...took four days. No questions, all expenses paid. I don't notice any change in performance as has been reported by other posts but I've only put a hundred or so miles on it. They rented me an '07 Colorado and it was a bit quicker. While they were at it they also replaced the throttle body for a "low idle" code. I never saw this problem but at close to 50K miles I'll take all the new parts I can get.

BPMike
    No it's not the Ford it's General Motors! In fact, I didn't want to but the Ford initially but at the time I thought the S-10 was a lame excuse for a truck and couldn't compare to the Ranger. I also had $3,000 in GM points from my GM card that I could not use. So this was strike for GM with me.

Strike two, my wife's Bonneville blew a head at 60K miles which was the result of a known water leak problem in the intake. That cost me $1,500 and several days of aggravation, not to mention having my wife on my case.

Strike three, I purchase the Colorado and there’s known problems with the head? Come on, that is ridiculous! Yes, the repair is at no cost but the top of the engine has been ripped apart and hopefully put back together right. So that’s next, another engine issue, DEXTROL corroding the engine, electrical component issues (brake switch, etc)?

Believe me every car I have owned has been a GM product (other than the Ranger) but I do not expect to purchase a new car/truck and have to have major engine repairs done. Free of not!
    I suggest you run right down to your local Toyota dealer and trade it in on one of their 07 Camarys. Please do NOT go to the Edmund site on 07 Camarys and do not read all of the problems with them. After all it's a Toyota so all is well. Do not believe how many hundreds of percent more Toyotas have been recalled then in previous years. This is all fanisy as cars from Japan never have problems. Well I've said enough, see you at the Toyota site in a few weeks. :shades: :P
    If you think the Colorado has a big turning radius for a pickup, check out the Toyota Tundra. I was almost laughing at watching two of them the other day trying to make a simple turn without going over a curb. It is normal for a truck, especially when four wheel drive, to have large turning ratios.
    At least none of GMs problems have been related to killing people! The link below is one to consumer affairs website where it talks about Ford Trucks randomly bursting into flames and burning down to the ground.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/ford_fires_continue.html

Also, the new Tacomas have brake failure problems which have led to people beig in serious accidents. Motor Trend, Road & Track, and Car & Driver all had problems with brakes in their Long term tests of the new Tacoma.
    The Colorado may have a design flaw, but at least it can't kill you and GM is fixing it for free.
    Don't forget the big engines in the Toyota trucks blowing up. Problem with Toyota is they have the same standard reply. Everything is working as designed. :lemon: :lemon:
    The Tundras are not blowing up, the engines are just decinagrating because of bad camshafts. Oh I forgot, Toyota didn't make the camshafts. According to Toyota it was a contractor. What a bunch of baloney propaganda. I don't think any auto manufacture makes their own crankshafts nowadays. Put the blame on someone else is what Toyota is good for like the engine sludge problems that they say were caused by lack of owner maintenance. After lawsuits were filed Toyota finally admitted to their sludge problems and extended the warranties.
  • rogertvrogertv Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have suggestion? My 06 4 cyl. Colorado has 33,000 miles. Since 24,000 miles (June 07) has rough idle sometimes shaking truck. Dealer in June said it was misfiring on all cylinders & they were stumped but suspected water in fuel. Same day though they said reconfiguring the computer had taken care of it. I left shop and engine was still missing. July 19 took truck back with check engine light frequently on. Dealer said it was a known GM problem, GM working on it. Call back in a couple of weeks. Aug. 8 took truck back again after engine went dead in an intersection while I was making a rolling right hand turn. Dealer replaced fuel pump and spark plugs and said water in the fuel. They challenged me to not go to same service stations ( I haven't and have run the fuel low enough for "low fuel" light to come on trying to suck out any water in the tank...wife gets her fuel at same station and has no problems)..Truck still had miss when I left shop. Sept.26 going down interstate at 70MPH check engine light comes on, I feel a loss of power then seat belt light comes on followed by oil pressure light followed by "FAULT" showing in speedometer display. I get it off the road OK, turn key off then restarted the engine and it ran smooth as silk the rest of the way home. Dealer said computer was loosing communication and they replaced the computer. Truck engine still intermittently missing ( particularly noticible at idle when the truck sometimes shakes) . Called dealer again....they say it's a known GM issue and that GM is working on it and to call back in two weeks...Meanwhile the truck goes out of warranty in another 2500 miles or so and I feel I'm in a loop. I called another Chevy dealer but they don't want to work on it since another dealer already has the thread. Any advice? Thanks

Roger
    It sounds like you have the problem with your head that is quite common with that engine. it also sounds like your dealer has a problem with his head, as he must be a complete idiot not to know about it.
    This problem has been discussed at great length on http://coloradofans.com/ web site. Go there and learn, and try to find a dealer with a clue. That "Call back in two weeks" thing is just a way to get you to go away. They don't have a clue what they are doing...
  • rogertvrogertv Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!

I indeed am running out of patience. I'm waiting on a callback from my dealer. If no contact from them by end of week I shall call an attorney and explore lemon law. Would be happy for them or another Chevy dealer to just fix the truck because I feel it's just a problem that needs repair and not an inherently bad truck. Thanks again.

Roger