Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    They did take responsibility for the problem. They gave everybody 100K on the problem and since most people only drive 12K or less you are talking about 8 years which is the life of a vehicle so to speak. Yes the person who drives ungodly miles a year could get screwed so to speak but just think of those out there that also got their engine repaired that may not even have had that certain problem but the bottom line is you still dropped the ball by not going to the dealer in a reasonable amount of time. I have found GM steps up to the plate on problems like these a lot better than most any other auto company. Look how long Ford put off fixing the cruise control problem. I also hang out on some of the Toyota forums as I have a friend that thinks they are the best out there even though he has had many GM vehicles in the past and never had a problem with any of them. You should see how they whine over there and all Toyota tells them is thats the way it was designed or it runs as it is supposed to or how the people on their big truck had to raise so much h e - - in order to get Toyota to buy back their trucks because the frames were rusting making them dangerous or how the government forced them to fix the problem of them hesitating when stepping on the gas and a couple of people were killed. The little truck people have the same rust problem and they don't want to do anything about it. Honda is the same, they came out a couple years ago with a Accord hybrid and no one would buy it as it was a piece of cra- so they discontinued it. I could go on and on but like I said above the bottom line is you waited to long and now you gotta pay. You could take it to someone else instead of Chevy and get it fixed a whole lot cheaper as this fix isn't rocket science and don't need fancy computer stuff to fix it.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    "jweebo", GM sent the letter to all "original owners" back in August of 2007. That is when I received mine. As I previously mentioned, somebody has already posted a copy of it in one of the Canyon/Colorado discussions here on this site. I believe it was about a year ago, so if you look back, you should be able to find it.
    With respect to GM's "additional warranty" on the Canyon/Colorado cylinder head, I too, am in a position to "get screwed" because I have the opposite problem....I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, so the 7 years will expire LONG before I ever reach 100,000 miles.

My truck is primarily a winter vehicle for me, and as such, I wasn't putting a lot of miles on it to begin with. However, I retired last year, and instead of driving it 50 miles a day, back and forth to work, I probably now drive it 50 miles a week.

My truck was 4 years old last month, and just turned 26,000 miles. It may get another 4-5000 miles before it hits the 7 year mark....What warranty then?????
    It was "cold" only in that most people have a hard time accepting reality, these days, and want a little "schmoozing" before you hit them between the eyes with the truth....

:D
    I understand your problem but they have to draw the line somewhere and I believe that is a fair number. Someone always gets screwed and someone always comes out the winner. Considering the amount of people here on these sites there haven't been very many with the problem so your chances of it happening to you are slim. Put $10 a week into the bank for the next 3 years or until you get rid of it and you will either have money to pay for the repair or a nice extra downpayment on your next GM truck.
  • briguy7briguy7 Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 colorado crew cab LS has 41,000 miles and has been well serviced.Last week it just died out of the blue in the middle of the street.Message center read,REDUCED POWER than TRACTION FAULT. also engine warning light. Battery is brand new. Truck would not even click when i tried to restart.After 5 mins it starts back up. Keeps happening off and on. Replaced relays,no help.Truck now boggs out if you try to rev it. Any ideas???
  • colorado06colorado06 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 06 chevy colorado with about 54,000 miles and for last 6 months, I have had a misfire in the cylinders, I have taken it to dealerships and paid a whole lots of money and they can not figure out the problems. I have had cam sensors, cam actuator, fuel injectors, coils, the entire head replaced and it still continues to misfire. GM is not helping at all to try helping so I was hoping someone may have some advice for me. Everytime I take to dealerships, I pay and the same thing happens a week later, which means I am running on 1 less cylinder everytime this happens, it's getting very costly to keep trial and error.
    I have had my 06 colorado in dealership over 9 times in 5 moths for misfire issues. I have replaced so far multiple cam sensors, cam actuator, 2 ignition coils, complete head on engine, 2 fuel injectors and some others, and nothing has fixed it. I have been in contact with GM and they have been of no help, wondering if you have any advice for me as I am getting frusterated and its getting costly. And it still is not fixed.
    When I have something fixed and dealer says it is fixed and I bring it back for more repairs due to their lack of skill I explain I have already paid and been told this if fixed and expect NO MORE bills. Talke to the owner of the dealer. you may even want to resort to picketing the dealership as a last resort. Complain you your local paper if they have editorial page. Think out of the box. Remember the last thing the dealership wants is been PR. Even more so now with cars not selling. Lay it out on the line to them explaining what you are going to do IF they can't fix it without more of your money.
    Check your pollution control module, most have defects also GM has different programing for the Brain.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check out your state lemon laws. You may have some recourse under the "lemon laws." Also check out a good consumer advocate type of attorney. A threat of a lawsuit will certainly get their attention. Good luck.
    "Colorado", you state your truck is an '06. Isn't it still under warranty? If not right at this monent, was it under warranty 5 months ago, when the problems started?

If the problem started months go, and the vehicle was under warranty at that time, then it's still up to the dealer/GM to cover the costs, until that truck is "right".....
    I bought the truck in January 2006 brand new, so I've owned it for 3 yrs, it is out of warranty now. I looked into Lemon Law and it states that you must have taken truck in over 3 times within 2 yrs of purchase, so I'm kind of "screwed" there. I spoke with GM yesterday and finally with a supervisor there and they said they could do nothing to help, which figures. My truck is still at dealership today, they replaced ANOTHER coil and said it's ready to be picked up however, I just put a coil on 2 weeks ago, so I know it is not a permanent fix. I am now looking at trading it in for either a Toyota or Ford. Have any thoughts as to a Toyota vs. Ford?
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Your only recourse may be a lawsuit which will take time and may not result in any gain if GM files for bankruptcy. As for the Ford or Toyota, I assuume you mean the Ranger or Tacoma. The Ranger is an older design and probably is cheaper to buy than a similarly equipped Tacoma. It depends on the type of truck and features that you want. Good luck.
  • mxer2mxer2 Member Posts: 2
    So I just bought a 04 Colorado 3.5L on 1/17/09 w/ 80,000 miles on it..When I test drove it everything seemed to work fine. I rarely drive the truck cause I have a car that I use for work. 3 weeks into owning it, the truck would do the typical "shake at idle and significant loss of power" and check engine light came on. Took it in and a cyclinder was misfiring. They replaced all spark plugs and worked fine. Now it's been 3 weeks since it was last in and the check engine light came on again. Took it in and was told the o2 sensor is out. I didn't have them replace it because they wanted to charge me 260 dollars and figure I can do it for 50. I just picked the truck up today, drove it to my office and the light is no longer on. It seems that it's the same story just different person. I bought it from the Ford dealership w/ extended warranty and have been taking it to them for the problems w/ some bitching of course. I am wondering if I should be taking it to the GM dealership instead. Just seems that I have a little more pull w/ the Ford guys cause I just bought it from them. Any thoughts. Also, with the lemon law, does the issue have to be the exact same 3 times or can it be of similar and/or related issues?

Also, does that dealership HAVE to be the one that replaces the parts, or can I do them myself when and if it comes down to the lemon law?
    You may have the first signs of the infamous cylinder head problem. Check out some of the other messages under this discussion. GM has a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty for this problem. (I believe it's 7 years but it could be 5.) I would take the vehicle to a GM dealership and have them examine it. You probably want to do it sooner rather than later because GM is not in very good shape financially. Good luck.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Lemon law issues must be handled by the dealer, as they act as the manufacturer's agent for repairs. Dealership service records meet the documentation requirements of lemon law regulations.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • colorado14colorado14 Member Posts: 2
    i just took my 04 colorado in with 61000 miles and the check engine light was not on at the time, they were still able to read the code, and they have replaced the head at no charge, it was only in the shop for 2 days.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Stay with an American company. We need to support our own country not Japan.
  • bboehmerbboehmer Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to longrunner1 for the details about cleaning the throttle body. My 2005 Colorado (55K miles) developed the same check engine code & a noticable low idle speed. I followed the cleaning advice & the problem is solved! Not hard to clean, but a little awkward to hold the plate out of the way & do a thorough job. Surprising amount of dark-brown deposit in there - I guess from the oil vapors.
    For anybody having problems with check engines lights and misfires. I just replaced 2 different ignition coils and so far that has fixed the ongoing problems I have been having. Its been running ok with better gas milage for last 2 weeks.
  • fshovelheadfshovelhead Member Posts: 1
    just bought acolorado 2.8 engine is very noisy when started after a minute or so it quiets down some any ideas?
  • tvukelictvukelic Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get an answer to a question and maybe some advice. Does anyone know if GM is covering 06 colorados\canyons in canada with this head/valve problem I'm reading about? My wife really likes these trucks and up until I read some of the forum discussions we were actively trying to find an 06 crewcab. They go for around $21,000 can. w/ 35- 60 thousand kilometers on them, whats kind of scary is that there are alot of them on the lots in and around my area, could be because they are just coming off lease since they are 06 or.... maybe there are other reasons? Nobody seems to be aware of the head issues that I have mentioned it too (dealer salestaff). I have been trying to steer her towards an Avalanche or Silverado but shes only 5 ft tall and doesn't seem to feel comfortable in a fullsize pickup,I like the interiors in these a whole lot better but this gas mileage is miserable, we are currently paying $4.09/Gal for gas so this becomes a real deciding factor for us. Any input will be appreciated !
    If I were you , buy a different truck. These trucks are constant problems. Engine head defects, Wiring defects, ABS defects etc. This is ISUZU not GM and frankly it is garbage. Save yourself, get something else!!!!!! Take it from me my crew cab LS is a 2004 with only 42,000 miles on it. I dont trust it and they will leave you broke down on the roadside.
    I also agree that you should stay away from these trucks. If you want to buy a used GM crew cab compact truck, you may be able to find a low mileage 2004 S10/Sonoma crew cab. 2004 was the last year for these trucks. These trucks had some problems (e.g.wheel bearings) but GM's 4.3 V6 is a good engine. Good luck.
    I also have 06 colorado and I have had ongoing engine problems in which nobody could diagnose correctly so over $3000 later they replaced 2 ignition coils and it has been running ok since, but I did have the complete head replaced which was covered under a Recall. But my advice would be to have your wife look at a silverado, I am also 5ft tall and have drove them and they are very comfortable and better with gas mileage, the colorado gas mileage is horrible and taking to GM about the engines is like talking to a wall with no help with them at all and the colorados are well-known for engine problems. In fact, I am in process of hoping to trade my colorado in for a silverado. I hope this helps you. Good Luck.
  • skysteveskysteve Member Posts: 5
    GM sent me a letter, re the head, it should be under warranty
  • jeffschmjeffschm Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with mine as well well it idles rough, it surges wile driving like it is missing, then you start driving at about 55-60mph and it downshifts and the message center says reduce power engine over rev and it goes into limp mode. I called the dealership and ask them about it and they told me there was a service bulliten out why I never got a letter about it and then he asked well how many miles do you have on it. I said 118000 he said that he could not help me. So I am screwed all they would of had to do was send out a letter saying this was a problem my truck has been doing this for a little while and I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I know I have alot of miles but damn if you make something that is defective fix it.
  • tvukelictvukelic Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I know what you've all said so far but the wife really likes these trucks. Are you all having any problems with the 07's as well? Minor stuff is o.k. I'm more concerned with the big stuff. Let me know and just so you know, its appreciated!
    "Tvukelic", I've mentioned this in the past, but since you're looking to buy a truck soon, I'll mention it again. I have a 2005 Canyon Z-71 SLE 4x4. I realize that it has only 26,000 miles on it so far, but except for a failed switch that activates the interior lights when the door is opened, it has been trouble free.

The other side of the coin is this....I take care of the truck! It's not a refrigerator, you plug it in and forget about till it stops running....

I use the truck primarily for winter driving, so I wash it as frequently as possible in winter, especially the underside, to keep the road salt from accumulating. When I rotate the tires, I flush the front discs/calipers with clean water, and I pull the rear drums and rinse any accumulated salt from inside there, and blow dry with a leaf blower. I change the oil regularily. I use Red Line fuel system cleaner regularily to prevent carbon deposits.

So far, it appears that my methods are working...If you and your wife like the truck, buy it!
  • himilecolohimilecolo Member Posts: 1
    My dad is looking for the 2004 Colorado Brochure available in dealer showrooms in 2004 (39 pages long). Does anyone still have one by chance? Bill 319/331-2624
  • redneckwoman71redneckwoman71 Member Posts: 1
    Just happened to find this forum because I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with Colorados. My husband bought me a new 2006 Crew Cab that I absolutely loved body wise because I am 5'2". But we had nothing but trouble out of it since day one. It started out small, power windows messing up, etc, but then a month ago the cab filled with the smell of antifreeze. Turns out it was a leak in a heater coil. The dealership fixed it with no problem because it was still under warranty. But we could not get the anti freeze smell out of the cab. Well then, twice this week we had some major smoke come out of the exhaust when it was started. We hadn't read about all the problems with the heads on these trucks, but we figured we were getting ready to have a major problem and with only 1000 miles left on the warranty, we worried if we waited around too long we would be screwed. To make a long story short, we went today and traded for a 2009 Silverado. I was hesitant at first because of my size, but after driving it home, I absolutely love it!! I loved the size and look of my Colorado, but it just wasn't worth dealing with all the problems. My advice: DON'T BUY ONE!
  • texas914texas914 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Colorado 4cylinder, I have had it for a couple of months and noticed when I run the A/C it smells very musty. Any solutions or experience with this. Mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    it's mold in the AC vents. You can find various sprays online or in stores that deal with this but in extreme cases you have to take the vents out and wash them, and sometimes dig into the heater core area as well.

One good habit is to run the heater through the vents now and then to dry them out.

I've heard that changing the cabin filter (if your vehicle has one) might help but I can't verify that one way or the other. Unless it proves to be moldy itself, I rather doubt it would help.
    another prevension is to run AC on normal mode the last 10 min. or so if you are using the recirculate feature a lot.
  • bearsrnum1bearsrnum1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 colorado has 145,000 miles on it and was running great until just yesterday I was driving it and it shut off on me and on the dash display it read reduced power and the key wasnt able to start it, but my remote starter would.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you have a voltage drop during engine cranking, this may cause this very thing to happen.

You should read the code set by the ECM. If it has anything to do with the throttle this is probably what happened.

You should load test your battery or if it is the original, just replace it, reset the codes and see what happens. Don't replace any parts yet.
  • derekdjderekdj Member Posts: 1
    i've had this same problem. with my 04 colorado i would use my key remote to unlock the doors but it wouldn't disengage my fuel lock on the engine so it would turn over just not fire up i've had to get my key remote reprogramed twice so far because of this problem and i have had to pay for them to get reprogramed. if i get the problem one more time which i feel will happen again because the last 2 times have been within the year so far im gonna try the lemon law thing
  • bearsrnum1bearsrnum1 Member Posts: 2
    The problem with my truck was that the crank sensor was bad. After it got replaced everything good.
  • russ95russ95 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I have an '04 Canyon 2wd 5cyl 5mt with 112,000 miles. I have come to realize that most of the electrical issues with these trucks such as coils, blower resistors & blowers, switches, sensors, door electrical problems, lighting problems, idle speed, check engine, and some no start issues can all be caused by the high amperage flows that are created by low system voltages.
    There seems to be (my opinion) two main causes. First is the marginal capacity Delco battery. If you are willing to eliminate the battery enclosure a much larger 850cca group 65 battery (Costco $80.) will fit in the stock retainer system. If you don't idle for long periods with the blower on high or other unusual high electrical demand (at idle) a battery upgrade may be all that is required. If that isn't enough you could consider changing from the stock 100amp alternator to the upgraded 125amp alternator used on the 08-09 4&5cyl trucks which seems to have resolved all these problems. Remember that no alternator will provide much output at idle speed.
    Good Luck,
    Russ
  • rtroy66rtroy66 Member Posts: 1
    I was in arkansas visiting family when my engine light came on this last saturday, June 06 and so I took it in on Monday the 8th and they told me that the problem was the engine was loosing compressing due to faulty seat. Well I travel a lot and at 150,000 miles they told me it was going to cost 2200 dollars to fix it. Couldn't I just put a new engine in the truck for a little bit more. I don't know, but I think this should have been covered in the recall regardless of mileage.
    Come on, there is no company in the world that is going to cover something forever. 150K on the truck, you got more than your money out of it, buck up and either pay the man or find a junkyard engine and replace it or sell it and move on. Oh, if you find a car company that really, really warrentees a gas engine for that long, let me know and I'll put that company at the top of my list when it comes time for a new vehicle. :shades:
    Hi,
    I believe you would be best off buying and installing a complete used '08-09 engine from a wrecked truck. They have bigger displacement, more horsepower & torque, better economy, and larger alternators. You might have a couple of small challenges on the exhaust side but it would probably be worth it overall. I am considering just this for my California emission '04 5cyl 5mt 2wd.
    Also keep in mind that any qualified automotive machine shop can repair these heads. Loose valve seats have been around since the first aluminum race heads came out and an experienced machinist can easily test and repair them better than new.
    Russ
    remember that these new engines are run by computers and one years computer may or may not run a newer engine. I'm guessing that a 08/09 engine will NOT be compatible with his older trucks computer. I think shopping around for a good aftermarket repair place would not only be the best bet but also the cheapest.
    Yes BUT the newer engine will not have any additional ECM controlled functions. If the inputs (sensors) are slightly different simply use the old ones. The existing ECM will quickly re-map the necessary parameters to operate the engine properly. A tiny gain might be realized by the matching year ECM but it wouldn't be noticable in driving it.
    The only changes I'm sure of are: A. Upgrading the alternator output wiring & maybe the mega fuse. B. There may be differences in the exhaust port shape/location that may require the use of the later model manifold & cat's.
    Looks like an easy one day install to me.
    Russ
  • weezy3weezy3 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 2006 Colorado into the dealer due to rough idle also. It has 64,000 miles on it. You guessed it the head was bad. They are going to replace it for free. Would have been around $3000.00. If you have problems with your 5-cyl. engine idling rough make sure you tell the dealer that you know of this problem. Make sure the call the GM rep to see if your VIN fits into the free replacement grouping. By the way it is OK to drive it, the problem is that the valve does not seat and you lose compression at idle RPM's. The was a flaw in the main casting.
  • falcon19falcon19 Member Posts: 6
    I baught my 2006 5 cyl Colarado in January 2007 as a new vehicle. It runs fine now, but I only have 20K on the engine, since I own and drive two other cars. My problem is that my warranty ends in about 7 months. I don't want to be stuck with a $3000 repair bill, but I love the truck.

I called the dealer and was told that my VIN was not subject to a warranty extension at this time. I assume it was built sometime in 2006. I also called a HQ cutomer service number they gave me and was told the same.

You can bet that I will be making some more calls and inquiries before my warranty ends.

Any suggestions?Was this problem corrected on newer 06 models?
  • warren62594warren62594 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my Chevy COlorado from a dealership for the second time the head was bad. As you all know GM will honor the 100,000 miles under warranty. My problem 110,000 miles. As stated before this is the second time for this. The first time was at 60,000 now it is 50,000 on the new head. GM will not cover it as it is over the 100,000 mile mark. My main complaint is this is only 50,000 on the NEW head and they don't care! I got jerked around my so many people both at GM and my dealership. I was told that they can't do anything over 100,000 miles or they would have to for everyone. WHAT?!!! This is only 50,000 on this head....THAT GM KNOWS IS A PROBLEM!!!!! I was also informed that a civil lawsuit or class action lawsuit might be coming (if there are enough people) against this, as the dealership informed me that mine was one of the first vehicles to get this warrantied and that there may be more coming (like this is supposed to make me feel better about dropping $3200). Couple other funny notes about this is it was exactly the same cylinder (cylinder 2) on both heads, and both heads were produced by 2 different companies....I am thinking DESIGN FLAW!!! I am going to do everything in my LEGAL power to deter everyone I know (and ones I don't) to never buy a GM product again or visit the same dealership I did. One more thing...I also had to replace a cracked exhaust manifold with this....it just keeps getting better.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a similar problem years ago with a 95 Corsica that had GM's 2.2 liter push rod engine. These engines ate head gaskets. The head gasket was replaced twice under the base warranty and once under the extended warranty that I had purchased when the car was new. The head gasket was leaking again after the extended warranty had expired at about 75,000 to 80,000 miles and GM refused to fix it. I said the job wasn't fixed right three times and they still refused to fix it. I wound up trading the car in for a Saturn. At 110,000 miles your better off trading it in for whatever it's worth. Good luck.