Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• lift4041lift4041 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Colorado. The hood is already rusting out on the front face of it. I started to see small pin sized rust spots appearing months ago, now it is getting worse. The rust is coming from the inside. Is this a common problem with the colorado's or is it just a problem with mine?
  • stringpullerstringpuller Member Posts: 13
    My ABS brake default light came on approximately 1 month after a GM dealer completed a brake job on my truck. The dealer claimed it had nothing to do with their work, however they did a diagnostic test and advised me that the right from wheel sensor and hub bearing needed replacement.

To avoid being further gouged by the dealer, I bought the necessary GM AC Delco parts online and replaced the hub bearing and wheel sensor myself. The ABS light comes on and then clears after initial start up, but the ABS breaking kicks in upon braking (on dry pavement) and then the ABS Default warning light comes back on. Once the light comes on, the ABS doesn't continue to engage and the truck breaks fine, although I'm fairly certain the ABS function still isn't working (I have yet to test it on wet pavement).

It's as if the sensor was never replaced as this is the same problem I had. Does the computer need to be reset in order for the wheel sensor to function properly? If so, please advise. I tried disconnecting the battery believing that would reset the computer but it didn't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
  • lift4041lift4041 Member Posts: 6
    I posted a question last week about rust appearing on the front of the hood.
    I think that I figured out why this is happening. The battery has a vent tube that is directed to just behind the grill on the drivers side. It my belief that the fumes from the battery are escaping at this point and lingering under the hood lip. On my Colorado the rust first started to appear on the inside of the hood in this area. Now due to the constant exposure to the battery acid fumes, the hood is rusting much worse. Hopefully no one else has this issue. Because the only rememedy for me is to replace the hood. Just 66,000 miles on it.
  • black_bow_tieblack_bow_tie Member Posts: 2
    I just took my truck to a good friend who ran the computer on the truck and came up with several problems, including P068 Throttle Body Airflow Proformance, P0106 Manifold absolute pressure or barometric pressure circuit, range or proformance problem, P300 Random/mutiple cylinder misfire, P0442 Evaporitive emission system, small leak, P0455 Evaporitive emission (EVAP) control system leak detected (no purge flow or large leak) P0503 Vehicle speed sensor circuit, Intermittent, erratic or high input, and P1133 O2 insufficient switching B1S1. The only thing i have done that is aftermarket is a K&N cold air intake. The crazy thing is that this all happened at once. If anyone has any advice i would greatly appreciate it.
  • bmintonbminton Member Posts: 16
    I had all the same readings on my 2006 GMC Canyon with the 2.8 liter. The dealership replaced the Cam Solenoid Actuator. I had 121535 on my engine. My mileage is now 162435 and it is doing it again. There needs to be a recall or I am thinking about a class action lawsuit. Anybody want to join. I think that the letter for a recall they sent out on November 2008 for the intake valve seats may wear was the real problem, but they covered it up with this Cam Solenoid Actuator bull. I really think GM is screwing people on this.
  • sean91sean91 Member Posts: 10
    Mariah, GM Customer Service. Yeah, right. Like, "Please to e-mail me your social security number just for verification purposes."
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Mariah is exactly who she says she is - GM has Edmunds' permission for her to be here.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Sean91,
    I never ask for social security number but, I do ask customers for some personal information that I am sure they don't want posted on a forum. So for security reasons for our customers and courtesy to the rules of the forum I ask for people to email me. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    I took my 2006 GMC Canyon to Walker GMC in Alexandria, Louisiana today. The truck had a miss with a code of PO496. They called me and said they were going to replace the purge valve. They say they took a fuel sample and found water and metal shavings in my fuel. Now get this. The service adviser asks me, are you sitting down? We found these shavings in your fuel rails. You are going to have to replace your fuel pump, fuel injectors spark plugs, filters and everything else. He said until you replace all these things your truck is going to miss. By the way its going to cost over 2000.00. I said not to replace any of those things. I pick it up and go straight to NAPA and buy some new spark plugs. I get home and replace the spark plugs and the truck runs great. No more miss. If it has got so bad that Obama Motors has to rip people off to make money than I say to hell with them. From now on I will do my own work. People beware of these crooked GM Dealerships. They will rip you off. Shame on Government Motors I mean Obama Motors. :mad:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    So according to you everyone in the world who rips you off has something to do with Obama. If you'd have left out the last bit of bull then I'd have felt for you but you lost all my respect with the last outburst. Through the years my Chevy dealer and G.M. has treated me great including providing warranty work of over $1600 with me kicking in $360 for a vehicle that was almost 18 months out of warranty. I guess I got lucky and got a G.W. Bush dealer. :P :P :shades:
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    OK, the water and "metal shavings" in your fuel system are most likely causing your truck to run poorly. However, you threw a set of plugs in it and "got lucky", as it now is running better....but for how long???

In all honesty, I can't imagine how "metal shavings" would get to your fuel rail, unless it was due to a failing or defective fuel filter. The fuel pump, which could be failing, and chewing itself up, could generate "shavings", however these should be trapped in the filter. If they got past the filter, into the fuel rail, then yes, they'll clog the injectors, and pretty soon, you'll be running poorly again. A couple bottles of "dry gas" will take care of the water in the fuel.

Sadly, the "purge valve" seems to be an issue with these trucks, and I'm disappointed that GM isn't stepping up on this issue. I had to have it replaced on my '05 Canyon a few weeks ago.

However, back on the subject, your fuel rail should be able to be cleaned out, and so should your injectors. Too many dealers don't bother to "fix", instead they "replace". But I'll assume that it's due to their overhead. Why spend a couple of hours, at $80-90/hr., to clean out something, when for half the time, the parts can simply be replaced....however at a higher cost for the new parts. Maybe you should check with another dealer, as well as finding another gas station, instead of immediately getting political, and blasting "Obama Motors".....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2010
    I never can understand that when given a "pitch" by service managers about an usual condition in their car-----dirty gas or "metal shavings" or "green slimy crud" or WHATEVER---that no one ever demands to SEE the evidence--nor does the dealership seem very anxious to provide it.

It seems to be it would be very easy for a mechanic to open the fuel rail, activate the fuel pump with the scan tool and pump a little of the shavings into a rag or bottle.

Until either the consumer demands the proof and the dealer either provides it or evades the opportunity, we on the outside here have no way of knowing if anyone knows what's really going on---so how are we supposed to know?

Seeing is believing.
  • 04canyon04canyon Member Posts: 1
    Not as bad as it sounds. A lady spiked her brakes on me in on a left hand turn, and I put 2 feet into the brake as hard as I could, but still hit her at about 5kmph. No visible damage, but about 1/4 liter of oil was on the road under my truck. I took off the manifold cover and tried to find where it came from, with no luck. Any ideas? Is there a oil pressure relief valve that may have released when I went from 15-0 in 2 feet?
    Awesome truck - 2wd I5

Help!
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Someone does not have a true grip on life. GM=General Motors
    Does your truck have those shocks in the front bumper for the 5mph protection. Maybe one of those blew when you hit as they most likely are filled with a shock oil.
    YOU MEAN GOVERNMENT MOTORS. ITS TIME FOR A FORD. :lemon:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    They certainly weren't "Government Motors" in 2006 when your truck was built...

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    our Air Force was built by the government and that seems to work just fine :P
  • black_bow_tieblack_bow_tie Member Posts: 2
    Hello????? If anyone here has a Colorado and has tips on how to fix these issues then post it please. If you want to talk politics go to CNBC and go there
  • unhappycownerunhappycowner Member Posts: 1
    Good evening; I have been searching the net for P0017 emissions code for my 2006 Chevy Colorado crew cab. I have a little over 50 thousand miles. I have faithfully and routinely had my oil and filter changed. My check engine light came on. I can't pass Massachusetts State emissions test. Currently have a Rejected sticker. Went to State certified emissions repair facility. After two failed attempts and $500 later they say take it to the dealer. I did I was told that GM has a known Sludging problem and this crankshaft positioning problem with Chevy Colorado's like mine. I called a few places and they gave me the same thing. When I called the dealer they said "oh no problem it is an easy fix, will take less than half hour and under $100 to clear the code." When I took the truck in to the Dealer they said how much do you want to spend like I was made of money. My reply was I need to get my truck fixed. I am out of work and have to look for a new job. I can't walk to interviews. I asked them to look into it and let me know before any work was performed. Well several hours into diagnostics I am told it will cost about $2500.00 - $3000.00 and they can clear the P0017 code but there may be other codes that come up. The alternative was to replace the engine. The catch here is they would replace it with the same type engine and that engine may have the same problem down the line. I contacted GM at first they told me they are aware of the P0017 problem and that they have a program to help owners like me. After two week of calls lasting 3-4 hours daily I am still out of luck!!! One I get a call that said well we are going to fix it. Next I got a call that says "sorry your warranty expired after 36 months" and we don't cover that problem now. I get another call that says wait a minute we are still looking into it. Now it's no we're not. I have spoken to at least a dozen GM reps, I have several case numbers. Different people call me seeming to pretend they are supervisors, managers, district reps etc. In the beginning they called time after time after time to ask the same questions over and over and over. Each rep stated they are taking all the info and recording it. I get a reps name and extension. Doesn't matter. Another rep would call, or I would call back like I was asked the next day. I had to start all over again. Even when I pass the info onto the next rep who says Oh I see that info, then they ask the same questions again. I don't get it. They give me new case numbers. Then I get a rep calling me back to say disregard the last rep and they are consolidating the case numbers. However, when I call to check on the status the case numbers don't match. I have been put on hold for half an hour at times then disconnected mysteriously and when I call back they say oh we are sorry you were disconnected, we are sorry you have spoken to so many people and we are forwarding it on to a district supervisor or rep. Then the following calls they all pretend to be the district rep, or a supervisor with authority. Problem is they have no authority. They all say I will forward this information. And on and on it goes. I am going nuts. At this point I can't afford 3-4 thousand dollars for a "maybe solution with no guarantees", nor can I afford to replace the engine. I can't pass state inspections and the state tells me I have to spend $750 with a state certified emissions repair facility. I only spent around $600 with the State approved facility initially. The dealership does not meed state certification. So the $500 or so I spent there doesn't count. Even though the State repair facility told me to go to the dealer. Go figure. No I have to take my vehicle to a state certified repair facility to not fix my truck for another $150 or so to meet the $750 the state says to allow me to get a waiver to continue to use my truck. How's that for catch 22. Can't fix the truck, have to spend money not to fix it so I can drive legally!! Crazy. Does anyone know how many people have have this P0017 problem? Also any advice where to go from here would help. My truck runs great so far (keeping fingers crossed). I did have two oil changes within one week and the oil I was told was jet black and sludgy. So if you have any suggestions/advise please, please let me know. My mechanic said to dump the truck. Go buy a new one and trade it in. I don' t want to be sneaky and do that. If I tell them I won't get much at tradein. If I don't someone else will get my problem. I can't afford to buy a new truck just yet since I am not working. I just got hired but doesn't start for couple of weeks. Can't get loan till I have at least 6 months (usually) on the job. So I am stuck between rock and hard place. Let me know what you all think. Thank you Unhappycoloradoowner.!!!
  • imagirlimagirl Member Posts: 1
    This may be a stupid question but...what are the "symptoms" of the cylinder head problem? Just so I know what to look for if it happens to my 07 Canyon
    I had the same problem on my 06 GMC Canyon. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a purge valve. It costed me 143.00. Then they said that was not my only problem. They said they found water and metal shavings in my fuel rail. They said they had to replace my whole fuel system. From my fuel injectors to my fuel pump and everything in between. It was going to cost somewhere around 2500.00. They said my fuel pump might be coming apart. You have to watch these companies that are owned by Boy Obama. They will try to rip you off. :lemon:
    I have never heard of YOUR boy Obama ever owning a car dealership. Why don't don't you grow up and keep your offensive comments to yourself.
  • 4chevytrucks4chevytrucks Member Posts: 1
    I read on here every one bad talking chevy colorados. I have an 05 z85 w/t four wheel drive and it has been window deep crossing the river near my house more than once. I have put it on its side twice climbing very steep hills up in the allagany. I have let is sit burried in frozen mud for three days. It has been airborn many many many times. I hit a tel phone pole at fourty five. Towed two tool trucks on a trailer to the scrap yard wieghing in at 12 thousand pounds (the wheels were actually coming of the ground when i gave it to much throttle ha). I blew out the ring and pinion from red lining it in the air when it hit the pavement it ripped all the teath off the pinion and ring gear. That day i pulled the rear drive shaft out and filled the dif with fluid and put a plug from ace were the pinion was. I drove the truck in four (front) wheel drive for six months to work. The truck has 83000 miles of screamin grindin tearin jumpin just runnin hard and starts up every mournin and drives me to work and through mud water rocks ect when im feeling crazy. It clunks and make noise and i have replaced my share of parts on it and so has gm but it has never left me stranded never not started and has out lasted all of my buddies full size trucks. The chevy colorado has done more than enough for me and so has gm. Maybee if you guy enjoyed the trucks for trucks instead of cryin every time you hear a tiny noise you would understand a chevy truck. If you wanted to cry and wine about gm and how bad they are maybee a chevy trucks just not for you. Maybee you be better off in a kia or a mini van.
  • anita0801anita0801 Member Posts: 3
    For the last few months our 5 year old GMC Canyon has gone downhill. The engine light has come on off and on for months. Then last week I was driving the truck and it stalled out on me in the middle of the road. I am 5 1/2 months pregnant so this was not good. My husband came and gave me a jump and the car started to work again. The next day, I drove it around to run errands and we drove it from Concord to Newark, CA and it was fine. In the morning, I drove the car from Newark to San Jose no problems. My husband then took the truck and it stalled out on him on his way back to Concord.

We had the truck towed to Lehmers GMC in Concord where they put the truck on the diagnostic machine and couldn't find any problems. The truck started up for them so they decided to take it for a test run. Well the truck stalled out on them and they had to tow it back to the dealer. They said it could be our alarm shorting out and causing it to stall so they disconnected the alarm and after driving it for 11 miles told us it was "fixed". Well my husband drove the truck to work this morning and it stalled out again. My husband plans to take it back to the dealer. After reading all these reviews I am REALLY concerned that we bought a lemon of a car. We are making payments on a car that is a hunk of junk. Since this time we have been renting a car and paying the dealer for nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have a high risk pregnancy and really can't have stress right now.

Our extended warranty expired earlier this year. I have read that Mariah is a GMC rep and has offered a warranty? Mariah or any other rep, please let me know if there is anything you can do. It seems that this "stalling" problem is very common with the GMC Canyon. Thank you.
  • longrunner1longrunner1 Member Posts: 8
    I hardly think you have a lemon, just a lazy or incompetent mechanic. (I'm at 239000 on my '04 now). The mechanic should have read the trouble codes in the computer; if he didn't, he shouldn't have a job there( a middle of the road consumer grade diagnostic unit is only around $100 at the auto store, and will give you a detailed description of the error codes in 5 minutes, so don't let him b.s. you over running a basic diagnostic. Reference my post on cleaning the throttle body every 50,000 miles or so. Also, replace the fuel filter (10 minutes, $15). If those don't help, next guess would be a fuel pump issue.
  • longrunner1longrunner1 Member Posts: 8
    In addition, I can't imagine how the alarm would "short" and kill the engine, unless it is an aftermarket alarm with an ignition kill switch built in. this is not very common these days, though. If you do have such an alarm, it needs to be checked by the alarm installer. There could be other electrical issues, including a loose or tarnished connection in the fuse block(remove and reseat all the fuses and relays one at a time(15 minutes), but I would need more info to get more specific. My point is, the mechanic should have tried these things. A good mechanic doesn't do what yours did- he finds the problem and fixes it. Probably why I do my own repairs!
    Hello Anita0801,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Has the dealership found anything new with the vehicle yet? How long has it been at the dealership? Thank you,
    Mariah:

We had the truck towed to the dealer last night. I am not sure if they have had a chance to look at the truck yet. I was going to call them in a few minutes to ask them to look at:

1. Head/valves
    2. Exhaust Manifold
    3. Ignition System
    4. Fuel Pump

I do not think they looked at any of this stuff when they had our truck earlier this week. We initially had our tow service take the truck to the dealer on Saturday, 7/17 right before they closed. They didn't get around to looking at our truck until Tuesday, 7/20 and put the truck on the diagnostic machine and couldn't find anything.

The truck even started for them so they took it out for a test drive and the truck stalled out on them. They had the truck towed back to the dealer and then advised that the stalling might be caused by a short in our alarm system. We gave them permission to disconnect our alarm. They called us on Wednesday, 7/21 and said that they ran the truck for 11 miles and it worked for them. We picked up our truck that evening.

Unfortunately, the truck stalled again on my husband on Thursday, 7/22 on his way to work. We had the truck towed back to the dealer last night. So far they have not done much to figure out what the problem is. Through my own research I was able to figure out many people are having the same issues. We really need our car. I am 5 1/2 months pregnant with a 4 year old and a high risk pregnancy.

The dealers contact info is: Lehmers GMC (925) 685-4481

Our warranty expired earlier this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Anita Ornelas
    Mariah:

The dealer finally called me back at 12:00 p.m. They said they will try to figure out the problems. I told them about the research I found re: others with this problem and it ended up being the heads and a cracked exhaust manifold. Don Slaney at Lehmers said that it couldn't be that. I find that hard to believe since so many other people have had these issues. I also asked him to check the fuel pump and ignition system. He spent a lot of time talking over me and telling me they will look into it.

It seemed like he wouldn't even consider the fact that it could be the heads and a cracked exhaust manifold.

I am really unsatisfied with the service I am getting but feel like I have no choice but to have my car there.

Anita
    Hello Anita0801,
    I would like to have one of our agents look at your situation further. In order to do that I will you to email me your contact info, VIN, and current mileage. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    A cracked head/exhaust manifold shouldn't keep it from starting or stalling. It has to be fuel, electrical, or computer related I would think.
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    Anita....you don't mention how many miles your Canyon has on it. I would think after 5 years of good service, even a few problems with your truck would hardly cause you to classify it as a "lemon". It sounds like the stalling is all related to the same issue....whatever that is. It's just a matter of bad timing that your extended warranty just expired. There are very few vehicles on the road today that will give you completely uninterrupted service after 5 years. I think after your technician has a chance to do a thorough inspection of your truck and is able to diagnose the problem, your vehicle will be good as new! BTW....most importantly, good luck with your pregnancy. I hope you have a fantastic life as a new mother!!!
    I'm somewhat agreeing with the dealer that it isn't related to cracked heads. Such a defect would probably not be intermittent and would also exhibit rather severe symptoms.
  • raydzynraydzyn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 colorado with 95,000 miles on it, i have replaced the mas air, an map sensors. the truck will run fine at low speeds as soon as you give it gas it will flood out an start to blow black smoke an the engine will die. I have installed a air/fuel gauge an it shows to be at 10.0 at normal driving speeds all the time no matter how much gas you give it. this started about a week ago an gets worse every day. dose any one have any more ideas what else it could be??

jeremy, :sick:
  • cancol04cancol04 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have an '04 colorado with the inline 4 and approx. 60 thousand miles. Last week I experienced a bad missfire which has not gone away. I thought it may be a bad plug. When I pulled out the number 3 and 4 plugs they were fouled with oil.
    I change the oil every 3000m, so I can't imagine it the rings. Before I bring it in, I was just wondering if this is a gasket promlem and if so what should I expect cost wise? Also, is there any 'bulletins' with respect to this problem that I'm not aware
    of? Just trying to be informed when I go in to the dealer.

Thanks so much,
  • ohcoloradoohcolorado Member Posts: 9
    Well, after several problems over the life of my 2005 Colorado, I thought GM might help me...What I got was a short and rude response to a request for some goodwill warranty help! Obvious defective wire connectors, GM is well aware, there is hundreds of posts all over the internet about Blower Motor wire connectors melting!
    Now after several attemps to diagnois my reduced power mode, I find it is another faulty wire connector to the throttle position sensor! GM spends millions on advertising, but will lose a 30 year customer over a few hundered dollars...GO FIGURE THAT! How many people have had problems with intermittent electical problems because of faulty GM connectors?
    A definite design flaw! I have been buying GMs for 30 years, and a retired GM dealer employee! NO HELP FROM GM though! I have simply asked GM customer service to provide me with a pigtail connector, which they should under recall anyway.
    Problems with my Colorado:
    Headlights fog up
    Front tires wear prematurely
    Roof leaks
    Brakelight switch
    idol problem (New GM Head)
    Throttle Body replaced
    Heater Blower Wires/connector burn/melt
    Throttle position sensor- DEFECTIVE WIRE CONNECTOR
    All of these things traced to manufacturing/design flaws!
  • crashrecoverycrashrecovery Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I've noticed that a few people are having the same problems I am. Does anyone have a fix on these problems? My truck has 32,330 miles on it and last month it didn't start so I had a tow truck on the way to pick it up and then about 2 hrs after it didn't start I tried again before they towed it to show someone. Then it started so I took it to the dealership and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I also had them look into another problem I have with it. When I'm driving and I come to a stop the truck will drop to about 500 RPM for a second and then jump back up to idle which is about 6-800 RPM. When it does that it feels like the truck is going to stall out but hasn't yet. Again the dealership said they can't find anything after hooking it up to the computer. They told me they hooked it up to there starting system computer. Then today it didn't start again when I was downtown so I took a video of it and I'm going to show the dealership. It didn't start and I tried 3 separate times. After calling Chevy's tow service it started about 30 mins after the first try when it didn't start. when I talked to service department at chevy last month when it didn't start they kept telling me " well maybe you left a switch on and didn't know about it and that's why it didn't start". Then they tried to tell me that the battery might of died. Even though it wouldn't start but it was turning over. My truck is still under the 3yr 36K warranty so it's not costing me anything but I don't want to have to worry about if it's going to start. Any info on this would be helpful so I can take it to the dealership and help them do there job. Thank's
    That Shreveport Obama Motors plant has shut down.
    Can you spell, "UNION. GM is owned by Obama. Obama got elected by the Unions. Unions breed LAZINESS. Get it. They will never help you, They are spin doctors.
    The problem is not UNION, its the truck is a Japan designed product and like all junk designed in Japan it sucks. When the Colorado was the S-10 it was the best truck for its size on the market and it was designed and built by Americans, not a piece of junk americans got stuck building. You as a Bushite of course wouldn't understand that since you and yours almost brought down America with your wallstreet crap. :P
    Hello Crashrecovery,
    I apologize that you are having a concern with your vehicle. How long has the concern been present? Can you please email me your VIN? Do any codes ever come up on the DIC? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • vegantonyvegantony Member Posts: 1
    Howdy there. Do you have any updates on your engine start up knock. I've a 2008 2.9 with about 21k miles on it now, its rattling loud now after it sits for an hour or so. It goes away after a few seconds. Currently it's at the dealer; they refuse to fix anything.
  • sean91sean91 Member Posts: 10
    In inquiring to GM Customer Service about alleged GM customer reps soliciting information on Edmuns.com, the official GM Customer Service says:

Customer Relationship Specialist: Reggie

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for contacting the GMC Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us about your concern.

Edmunds.com is neither endorsed nor maintained by General Motors. Thus, General Motors is not responsible for the content of the website.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our GMC Customer Assistance Center at 800-462-8782. Customer Relationship Specialists are available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

For more information regarding the maintenance and care of your vehicle, please visit http://www.gmownercenter.com. This free online service offers vehicle and ownership-related information and tools tailored to your specific GMC.

Again, thank you for contacting GMC.
  • jhatchettjhatchett Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like we're having similar problems. I have an 06' Z71 Colorado, and last fall it began giving me problems which I'll describe in a moment. I took it in to the dealership a month or so later where it spent 3 days only to be told nothing could be found. To this day I've just been putting up with it as I haven't had time to take it and leave it again due to being in school full time with literally no breaks.

Here's the problem. The truck won't start but will turn over. Initially I would try and try for a few minutes then pop the hood to check the battery cables just in case they might be loose (about as much mechanicing as I'm capable of), and then about 10 minutes after first attempt - BAM started right up. I've gone a few weeks with this not happening, and have also had it happen every day, maybe twice a day for a week. It never fails, about 10-12 minutes after first attempt it starts right up.

Aside from taking it back to dealership which I'm trying to arrange a time and another means of transportation, any suggestions.
    Yes, there needs to be a recall on this junk. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. :lemon:
  • crashrecoverycrashrecovery Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Well I was contacted by a representative on here and they helped me light the fire under the dealership. When you do get a chance to take it to them tell them to look for a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that GM puts out to help mechanics fix issues that they haven't recalled but they know there is a problem with them. Like I said before when I took it myself they said there was nothing wrong with it. Then after I had a 3 way call with them and a representative they seemed more willing to help and try and fix it. They had my truck for 2 days and the last 2 hrs before I went to pick it up I called to check on it and they said there was nothing wrong again. So I did some research on "Chevy Colorado TSB" and found a few that I told the dealership about and asked if they tried those methods to fix my truck. It caught the guy off guard that I knew about those and that GM puts those out to the dealerships to help there mechanics. So he tried to beat around the bush by saying he's sure his mechanic would of looked at that stuff I told him about. Then I went to pick up my truck and all of a sudden they had found what was wrong with my truck. They got the codes of B2960 and B1383 from the Charging System which is the ignition. The B2960 is the - Sec Sys Sensor Data Incorrect but Valid (History) (Immature). The other code was the Oil Level Lamp Circuit Short To Battery. They had to order the parts and I'm still waiting for them to install it but when they do I'll let you know if I still have any problems. I haven't heard of anything that is a temp fix to stop the problem.
  • ohcoloradoohcolorado Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2010
    GM Customer service is a bad as it gets! They will twist you around like a toy top!
    Not one rep I talked to spoke very clear english anyway, so it was hard to understand. But I will tell you this, I have complained every place I could about GM!
    They spend millions of dollars on advertising, then piss a customer off over a hundred bucks. Make no sense, but they don't care!
    Not one GM rep has the guts to make it right with me on the lemon Colorado, with obvious manufacturer defects!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I have owned 2 S10's; a 4 cylinder and the V6. Very good trucks. Rides better than the Ford Ranger (test drove a 2009 model a few years ago). I can see why GM had to file for bankruptcy. Bad management decisions. They gave Isuzu hundreds of millions of dollars for the S10 replacement and wound up with a less reliable truck. They could have easily spent much less money by updating the S10 and would have had a better more reliable truck than the Colorado. My two cents worth.
  • jhatchettjhatchett Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I'll be dropping my truck off tomorrow evening at the dealership. I have my fingers crossed for a good outcome. I have contacted GM and have been in touch with a service rep although I'm not certain what good that has or will do. They seemed to be surprised when I told them of the problem so I'm just hoping for the best.