Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    maint,

Are you still experiencing problems with your vehicle? Please keep us updated.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • lsucamarolsucamaro Member Posts: 4
    The dealer tells me that they are following GM's recommendations for the repairs. I finally got the truck back a little over 5 weeks after putting it in the shop. The next day the check engine light came on for a few miles, then went off. A week later, it began losing power, dropping revs at highway speed, and idling very roughly, but no check engine light. The Check Engine light finally came back on during the trip back to the dealer. This was diagnosed as a bad catalytic converter & crankshaft position sensor, which were replaced. I got the truck back, and a week later the problem began again, but worse. Now it has very little power, can barely start, and coughs, spits, and sputters at idle. I had it towed in last week, and they replaced the Powertrain Control Module. This got rid of the Check Engine light, but they said that the engine is still misfiring, and currently cannot tell me what the next fix may be. I have not personally contacted GM about this. Everything, with the exception of some "maintenance" solutions so far has been covered by GM, and I have for the most part been taken care of by the dealer with a loaner car. Other than my current inconvenience, my main concern is that once this problem is finally fixed, what long term damage has it caused the vehicle? Any help is appreciated.
    lsucamaro,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Since my last post, the dealership replaced the electronic control module, which appeared to fix the problem. I picked the truck up on 6/1/11, and the starting problem resurfaced two days later. This time, in addition to the existing starting problem where it would crank but not start, it would sometimes not turn over at all. I put the truck back in the shop today (6/6/11,) and that's where we stand as of now.

I contacted the email listed with gmcustsvc, and wrote them an essay describing this whole ordeal. I'll post here if I get any results.
  • htmbdieselhtmbdiesel Member Posts: 1
    If the little lock light is on you need to reset the key, and passlock. Turn key on until it stops flashing. About 5 minutes then turn off and start. This is the worst problem with the Chevys now. It did it too me after 40k I was told its worse in summer climates. Overall its a good truck, but I think they should have kept the efficient things from the s10. I got 278k out of my 96 in 10 years. im at 87k in my 07 colorado and already had more issues. Its for sale. I have an mb 300d that runs better over 300k. I wish chevy had a little diesel for the colorados. It would be maintenance heaven for a light truck owner. I also wish the chevys didnt look like angry insects. They dont have too much character in design anymore.
    I am familiar with the lock light, as I had that problem on my 97 Camaro. I originally thought that might be the problem here, but the light is not on, and that did not explain the reduced engine power unless the two symptoms were not related. Either way, the truck has been in the shop since my last post 2.5 weeks ago. They have been in contact with GM Engineering, and since have tried changing the wiring between the PCM, ECM, & starter, but that did not fix the problem.

After contacting GMCustServ, I opened a case with GM, and they have offered me a 2 year/30K mile extended warranty on the engine and related parts. I am told that the warranty will be effective from the date that I get the truck back from the shop.
  • jay_1234jay_1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 colorado ls, Bought the truck a little over a year ago with 7x,xxx miles on it and had no problems until a few months ago. The engine light came on and showed a random misfire, there was a light knocking started coming from the engine. now the engine Has a loud knocking with oil leaking from the rear. I know plenty of people have had similar problems. ANY help or information would be greatly appreciated.
  • dignchiefsdignchiefs Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Chev Colorado 3.5 Litre 4x4, in July 2009 with 70k and ever since I have watched my check engine light go on and off.
    I received a general misfire error and took it back to the dealership where purchased and all they did was reset it. I replaced the spark plugs, cylinoids and wires and still the light off and on.
    Yesterday I took the truck into a different dealership and after an entire day I have been informed that the problem is a cracked valve seat causing a misfire in cylinder 3 and they need to replace the cylinder head....UGH $2,800.00 to do this? Well, obviously this cannot be afforded. After reading the numerous discussions from others, I am looking to see if there is anything about a Recall on these engines?
    dignchiefs,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I would be happy to look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • stshimonstshimon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Colorado with 48K and for the past several months I have had the problems like many other Colorado owners with the truck not starting. Tested batteries, starter, alternator and they all test OK. I was told by local mechanic shop that they can try to change the ignition switch but can not but sure that is the issue.
    It used to be and issue that would maybe happen once or twice a month and then be fine all other starts... but this week it is every morning not starting, but everything still tests OK. Does anyone know of recall or a solution for this no-start phantom phenomenon???
    stshimon,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • labboylabboy Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 4 cyl truck has done the same for 5 consecutive mornings. However after the sun came up and warmed the truck it started and ran smoothly all day for hundreds of miles with much starting and stopping each day. Then I took it in to my local shop and it began to run even worse. I've had many problems with intermittent rough engine running when the outside temperature is blazing hot. Each time this happened I turned off the AC and within about 10 minutes the misfires stopped and the engine ran ok for hours of interstate driving.
  • jimmygedjimmyged Member Posts: 8
    I can`t think of anything that could piss me off more than buying a new truck with all these engine problems! For the first time in my life I spend $29,000.00 on a brand new 2005 LS Chevy Colorado Z79 4dr. and it comes with a faulty head and much more! Yeh I just caught the head problem while still under warrenty, but the techs are instructed to put the old plugs back in the new head and don`t you know it two of the five, foul out and the engine ran so ruff that it would throw my water bottle out of the drink holder onto the floor! Back to the shop it goes and more time going without my truck! Why don`t the cheap Bastards down at GM Let us know that they are going to do this and give us the option of at least buying new plugs and install them while they got the headout anyway! I couldn`t even think of doing a job like that! That is so half [non-permissible content removed] to me! Plugs are cheap money for the problems they could bring! All and all as a result of this big [non-permissible content removed] GM flop of a truck I spent alot of money and have nothing to show for it now! I am so PISSED at GM! I wish I got that Nissan truck I was looking at instead! My friend got his Nissan truck at the same time I got my "Edsel" Colorado and still has it with never having any problems at all! GOOD LUCK GM! You have lost not just one customer here but now you lost a whole family of GM buyers. Between my wife and son and I we have bought seven GM products in the last twelve years! Our records will show a Geo,S-10,Colarado,Cobalt,Equinox,Cavalier, and an SS Impala! No more for GM! When I spend almost 30K for a truck with whistles and bells I expect it to run! I am a maintenance freak and never miss changing oil or filters I take exceptional care of all my vehicles I don`t need to be driving down the coast worrying if the Camshaft is going to lock up on me! Hummm, Maybe a Ford Escape XLT in the near future? Nissan Frontier? I`ll know after my test drives!
    Colorado= :lemon:
    I usually get kissed when I get SCREWED!!!!
    Thanks GM! Love you to!
  • donnyrdonnyr Member Posts: 15
    Sorry to hear about your canyon I had the same exp. with GM . My canyon was not a week old and i noticed a knocking noise in the engine just as it cranked and lasted about 20 sec. sounded like a dis. and just go away . So i drove up to the dealer and told them my sit. and they informed me that all straight 6 do that, so i ask if thats so would they mind if i just cranked another canyon on the lot and just rest my susp. about the issue. Well we cranked 5 of them and none sounded like mine. So to make a long story short ,after Water pump, fanblades and belts. Cat converter,thermostat, Timing chain, back in and timing chain tensioner, and 4 months and NO TRUCK STILL IN THEIR SHOP Gm calls me and says that the engineers there see no problem with this truck and they are not going any futher with their TS. Besides They told me that your warenty was the best in the business. I told them that if i was going to buy a truck with problems i would have bought a used one. So i told the dealer that i would not accept the truck back in this condition and that i wanted a NEW truck. They Said no. The dealer told me that there diffently was a problem and they proceeded to buy back my truck and get me in a new one .
    So now i have a new truck not many miles on it BUT this is the SECOND time GM has had to buy back a veh. from me because of the PISS POOR Quality from GM. They bought back a Envoy from me but didn't want to but the dam thing wouldn't crank to get it off the lot they had that veh. 6 mon. Electrical problems Never did find BUT didn't want to fix
    So I'm here today to inform all that i have bought my last GOVERMENT MOTORS VEH.
  • coloradolemo1coloradolemo1 Member Posts: 3
    hi,i have a 2005 colorado 4x4 z71 ls i have had these issues in the past,mine would randomly not start everything checked out good found out it was the security system shutting off the fuel and fire to the engine the garage told me if i leave the key in the on position for a half hour it will reset its self,i know this is not much consolation if your in a hurry the garage said i needed to take it to the dealership because they could not fix it the computer needed to be reflashed (whatever that means)anyhow that was 300.00 need less to say it did not help i hope this will help this is just the beginning of the problems i have had these trucks are lemons gm needs to step up because they sure have lost a lifetime chevy person.
    I forgot to mention that I sold my 2010 HHR also because it can`t drive in a snow dusted parkinglot! That would be 8 GM vehicles I had bought in the last 12 yrs. When I get stuck in a perfectly flat parking lot because it is a little snowy that just sucks! GM you got to really start thinking about what you are doing! No more new GM`s for my family. To bad for you.
  • muleridermulerider Member Posts: 1
    I bought my first Chevy in 1951. My 2005 Chevy Colorado is the LAST GM product I or any member of my family will ever purchase. It has MAJOR starting problems; began six months ago. TWICE TODAY it has refused to start. Each time, I wait ten minutes, cross my fingers, light a candle, and try again. It's a disaster.
    coloradolemo1,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mulerider,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? Can you please send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • flajohn1flajohn1 Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this prolem but i have a 2.8 ltr 4 cyl. Are they having the same problem with it.
    flajohn1,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • stringpullerstringpuller Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have know why depressing the brake pedal would cause the in-dash left turn signal light to illuminate?

The dash indicator light illuminates as well as ticks. It will flash and tick as rapidly as the brake pedal is depressed, and will stay illuminated as long as the brake is held. When the the right turn signal is engaged, depressing the brake causes the right turn signal to stop ticking, although it flashes normally. When the left signal is engaged, irregular symptoms ranging from normal function to erratic ticking to fast flash and ticking occur. Interestingly, the outside front and rear flashers function correctly.

Presumably, there's a short causing the problem. I believe it might be a faulty trailer harness loom, although, I'm currently experiencing other electrical issues with this truck such as a fuel cap warning, engine light warning illumination (with no code) ABS brake warning and no-start phantoms. My ABS brakes have not functioned for 3 years even after spending over $1,000 to have them fixed. With a history of electrical problems I've had with this truck, it's never a surprise when something electronic goes a muck, only a mystery. It could be the computing systems on these trucks are defective as I've had regular electrical problems since the day I bought it.

I appreciate any suggestions that will help minimize the damage. I can't afford to let the dealer play a guessing game with the meter running as I've previously experienced with my never repaired ABS braking system.

Thank you, from a life-long GM loyalist who will most likely never buy another.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm thinking a bad ground at the tail lights, or perhaps a corroded socket where the bulb goes in. check it out.
    Thanks for your tip. Appreciate your help. Have a cap as well and rewired all brake light connections, including the ground. I've taken flasher bulbs out, cleaned, reinstalled, and have same problem. Found the problem goes away when I disconnect trailer loom right side, however, the brake lights don't work at all when loom is disconnected so not 100% sure. Is there a way to test with a meter? Hate to pop for new loom if not the problem.
    Hmmm...I'd need to have a diagram in front of me, but what I'd do is fix the brake lights first without the trailer hookup connected at all. Maybe you lost the regular ground and the trailer loom gives you a half-fast one?
    Yeah, thinking like you, I disconnected the trailer loom and thought to check the brakes without it because the factory trailer harness fizzed the 2nd year I had the truck. Unfortunately, you can't simply eliminate the harness. It's a T-connection loom with a converter in-line with the trailer plug. If you eliminate the harness, you're left with two female connectors for the left and right side tail light loom wiring. I'm not sure how to test the tail lights and brakes without it, other than splicing everything (nightmare). Probably should just buy an AM trailer harness, try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Appreciate your suggestions.
    Ah, I see. A factory install sounds like? Electrical issues can be quite a challenge, even for the pros. How much is this harness?
    GM trailer converter looms are over $100 as are some after market brands, although I've found a Curt's on-line as low as $24.00. Not sure about differences, quality or otherwise. As mentioned, my original GM factory loom fizzed within 2 years. I replaced it with an AM, which, if bad, has lasted 3 years. Think I'll be spraying the back of plugs with rubber sealer this time.
  • lkhomlkhom Member Posts: 4
    Tail lights on GM canyon/chey were recalls, they will fix for free
    I bought my truck.. brand new right... out the door deal.. and I have gotten more problems w/this truck then any other auto I've owned.. I've owned Fords.. that's what I should have bought...
    I took my canyon back to GM, they said; they used a pressure water wash.. ok, sure.. cuz they give you a car wash with every thing they do.. if they just pop your hood and hmm over it. the Leak came from: the light seal over the bed of the truck.. cargo light. so it was not covered the cutout completly.. when it was raining I sat in my tuck to find the leak.. now... did they do that.. I ordered them to replace all my carpet.. what grief: they scratched my truck.. i had to take it back in.. they didn't put the bolts back on the seats .. I still feel my seats going back at take take off.. from a stop sigh... what do they wait for till i go out the front window?
    and the matting/carpet they put in was for another model.. GM SUCKS! THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY
    MIGHT BE DUE TO NEEDING A STARTER... OR JUST STARTS ON AN UP HILL.. IF TRUCK IS WITH NOSE DOWN... NO TRUCK WILL NOT START.. IDLES TOO ROUGH... KONKS OUT WHILE I'M TURNING...
    I HAVE DONE A TUNE UPS EVERY 3 YEARS.. OIL CHANGES EVERY 4,000 MILES, NEW BATTERY AT 6,000 MILES, WATER PUMP AT 70,000 MILES. THE CATI CONVERTER WENT OUT AT 70,000 MILES, I INSTALL NEW BRAKES EVERY YEAR NOW... EVERY 2-3 YEARS, I'VE TAKEN MY DOOR PANEL TO FIX THE WINDOW.. AND TO FIX TO REPAIR MY WINDOW REGULATOR.. WHICH WAS NOT WORKING RIGHT WHEN I BOUGHT THE TRUCK.. (THEM NOT WANTING TO FIX OR REPAIR IT RIGHT) DO IT YOURSELF... , I HAD THE HEATER SMOKING... DO IT MYSELF.. THEY COULDN'T FIND THE PROBLEM? I PULLED THE 3 PIN OUT OF THE CONNECTOR...I'M THINKING NEW STARTER, NEW SOMETHING... THIS STOP AND CROSS YOUR FINGERS.. PRAYING FOR IT TO START.. CALLING TOW AT TIME OF PROBLEM.. WHILE IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO START MY TRUCK.. IT HAS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES.. JUST DON'T START/RUN LIKE IT LOOKS.
    I’m sorry to hear that you’ve not had a good experience with your Canyon and your dealership. Please send us more information by emailing Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • owl1owl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 canyon with I-5 82,000 on it and is now in the GM Dealer repair shop with a bad head! Is there any way you could send me a copy of the letter you talked about, as they are telling me it may be as high as 2500.00 to repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you would think that GM would give all people that own an I-4 or I-5 that exteneded warrinty! Thankx dave493@sbcglobal.net :cry:
  • omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    Colorado 2006, Crew Cab, LT, 43,000 miles, never used for hard work, only to carry my daughter's bike.

Here is another one. The truck just doesn't go forward on D, I'm able to go forward only in 1 and 2. I didn't try 3, reverse is fine. What could be? broken transmission??, Should be that covered by the Performance First extended warranty sold by the dealer when I purchase the truck???
    Every time something happens Dealer just said that is not covered but it's like a favor to me that they take care of it.
    Yes I had the same problem when the truck was on 20K miles only, after 3 visits, they fixed, replaced ignitor, cables, sensor.
    Colorado 2006, Crew Cab, LT, 43,000 miles, never used for hard work, only to carry my daughter's bike.

Here is another one. The truck just doesn't go forward on D, I'm able to go forward only in 1 and 2. I didn't try 3, reverse is fine. What could be? broken transmission??, Should be that covered by the Performance First extended warranty sold by the dealer when I purchase the truck???

Every time something happens Dealer just said that is not covered but it's like a favor to me that they take care of it.

I just drop last saturday the truck on the dealer, let's see what they say tomorrow, I have the Performance First Premium Coverage, I don't have a car for this week, hopefully they will cover a rent car as promissed on the extended warranty!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Omaita,

How did the dealership visit go for you?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I drop the truck on saturday, Monday the Dealer called me saying that the transmission is broken and the extended warranty company (Performance First) is going to send somebody to take a look before decide if they are gonna cover it or not.

Thuesday morning, I went to the Dealer to make sure all the information I have was right. Service Department just said that they were waiting for the "adjuster", who could be there in the next 48 Hrs, but how PF doesn't work Wednesday and Friday, this guy could show up until Monday.
    I said ok, give me the number and I will call PF to see what's going on this claim.

I called PF and they said that it was not decided yet if the adjuster needs to go or not, and they were waiting for the "diagnostics and estimate of the repairs needed". So I called back to the Dealer left 3 messages, and around 3 pm somebody call me saying that they just send the "diagnostics and estimate of the repairs needed" and PF will send now the adjuster.

So, I am this thanksgiving week with no car, no answer and just praying that PF or GM will cover the US$ 2,500 that will cost the repairs.

43K miles on it, purchased in Oct 2006, Performance First Premium Extended Warranty.
    Thank you for the update - I'm sorry that you are without a car for the holiday. I hope it has still been a good time of family.

Please keep in touch, either here or by email. Do you have a Service Request number on this so I can keep track of how things are progressing?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jjallen07jjallen07 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2005 Canyon for work. Seem like all was good then the Fuel Cap Msg came on then the Check Engine light. Had it reset then finally no more Fuel Cap. But then the Check Engine light came on and i was told it was one of three things, the AES?, a vacuume leak, or something like that. The engine appears to be running fine. They said that the code ment the engine was not idleing right. Anyone have a clue on this???? :(
    I'd be great if you had the number of the code. If you were getting fuel cap codes, then vacuum codes, and a bad idle, I'm thinking you are dealing with the EVAP system---evaporative emissions cannister or purge solenoid, or a vacuum leak in the lines that service this component.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    "jjallen", I had a similar situation occur about a year ago, with my '05 Canyon. Since I work part time for an auto parts store, I tried the easiest and quickest potential fix, and replaced the fuel cap. No luck...

Took it back to the dealer, and they replaced a solenoid, or something like that, in the evap system. Seems to me, I recall them telling me that there was a factory service bulletin on this part...
    Jjallen07,

If we can be of any assistance, either in working with a dealership towards diagnosing this or by looking into any warranty/recall information available on your vehicle, please email us with more information (including the last 8 digits of your VIN).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I have an 05 Colorado that also displays an irregular fuel cap warning light and engine light. The fuel cap light comes on first, then the engine light. Both lights eventually shut off, then display again anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks later. This has been an ongoing problem for over a year. I noted a low leak code once but often no codes appear, so no one can diagnose the problem. Thankfully, my truck passed my state emission test so I don't believe it has a faulty EVAP system; however, I'm quite certain my truck have a defective electrical system which GM has never addressed.

I've also have a faulty ABS break system which hasn't functioned properly since the second year I owned the truck. I replaced the right hub bearing assembly once and ABS sensor twice ($600.00) but it didn't fix the problem.

I also experience no start problems that have been occurring irregularly for 4-5 years. When the truck doesn't start, I simply wait 15 minutes, then it starts. The truck has been into the dealer twice (once for 2 weeks) for this problem, though they have never found a code or diagnosed the issue.

Any suggestions? Does GM have any answers for the electrical problems that I continue to experience with my truck?
    Stringpuller,

Thanks for posting. We can look further into this for you - please send us an email with your name/username and the last 8 digits of your VIN and we can start by checking to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Monday, still no news from the Dealer.
    Criswell, Gaithersburg, MD. Customer No. 292272, RO No. 56904.
  • frahnk2frahnk2 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of "Code" descriptions for the Colorado?
  • 04greeni504greeni5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Colorado I5 i bought new from our local dealer to replace my s10. First and foremost I love my truck The look the torque band that once i got used to (learn to feather that pedal)always brings a smile and the posi rear end are just a few of the pros. Now here comes the cons and my main issue is not with the truck it's with the dealer. Like alot of the rest of u shortly after my ownership i started getting the rough idle so i mentioned it on a maintanence vsit and i got the maybie bad gas response. Mine never thew any codes so i just started adding lucas and it never totally fixed it but helped to the point i was not real concerned. As the years went on it is progressively getting worse, and then my 1,2,3 on fan went out (another common problem) I turned to the net one night and found a site that explained this and also the potential head problem. I brought in to dealer to fix settings and mentioned my concern,he tells me he really cant hear the ticking first off! (has always reminded me of a friggan diesal with that sound) then tells me he has never even heard of this problem. Now im not possitive on how long ago this was but prob 08 09 so i asked him to look into it, they fixed the switch and i got the run around on the head. This fall with the colder days its been the worst it has ever been. I still have never thrown a code but last night i found this site and after all nite reading I am really concerned now. I have always maintained my truck well and do the xtras like clean throttle body k&n filter synthetic oil most dont even believe it's an 04 say it looks within a year of pulling off the lot new. so with 84,000 miles on a 04 and bringing this to my gm certified dealers atention on more than 1 occasion Where do i stand IF this is noted in my service records and i need $3,000 worth of work done? I'm ok with the problems i have had so far chalking i up to first modle year but a problem i inquired about more than once that will wipe out my savings is something else entirely. I really really like my truck (other than gas milage) should i go after dealer or call GM? Will it make a differance?

One of the fans
    edited December 2011
    this might work if you scroll down. The list is "generic codes" only so they might or might not be exactly what you need. If you can have your codes read say by Autozone or Oreilly for free, then we could tell you what they mean.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/