Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• colo06colo06 Member Posts: 4
    good luck !! :)
  • goldensungoldensun Member Posts: 1
    sarah, I'm hoping you can help me before I contact an attorney. I own a 2006 H3 w vin # with last 6 being 108901. This falls within the range with problems. However, nobody at gm customer service seems to know what I'm talking about. My vehicle is currently in pieces and has been diagnosed with failed valve seat #5 and they are waiting to proceed until this is resolved. Please contact me at 360 4344808. My name is Sunshine. You can also reach me at [email protected]. Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon goldensun,

I found your Service Request and just wanted to find out some details if I could -

What dealership is your vehicle currently at?
    Do you know the name of your Service Contract (extended warranty) company? I do not see a General Motors Protection Plan on your vehicle.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • pianoman435pianoman435 Member Posts: 3
    I did my homework, on this site, I knew about the head issue & bought a used '05 with the 3.5 I5 with 95,000 miles on it that had the head replaced at 82,000. I had 101,900 on the odometer when my mechanic told me the miss wasn't a bad coil but was the 30lbs of compression in #3 cylinder :lemon: . I took it to the dealer & $2900 later it didn't miss anymore & I had a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on ANOTHER GM head. I was very upset when I was told how much it would cost, I called the Chevrolet Service number & was told they would look into it. 24 hours later I was told they wouldn't cover a penny of it :sick: ! IF THE HEAD HAD FAILED PRIOR TO THE OFFICIAL 100,400 MILE MARK they might have done something but since, fool that I am, I waited another 1500 miles before allowing it to fail, it somehow became completely MY FAULT!!! :confuse: The Chevrolet person nor the service people at the dealership were unable to explain this bit of GM logic to me.
    The funny(read extremely sad)part of this is I was leaning toward a Nissan but decided on the Chevy because of the better milage! It's going to take a lot of really good milage to make up for $2900 that I WOULDN'T have had to spend on the Nissan! :mad: The other thing that really gripes me is I was for the bailout of GM & Chrysler!!!!!!!! :sick:
    Good morning pianoman435,

We can understand that vehicle repairs can be frustrating - how is everything running now that the cylinder had has been replaced?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • pianoman435pianoman435 Member Posts: 3
    If you had bothered to READ my post you would know that the CYLINDER was NOT replaced, the head was for the SECOND TIME making this the 3rd head on that engine in 102000 miles.
    The previous head was replaced for the same reason at the same dealer just a different valve seat/cylinder involved. Also the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter(a one piece unit, another bright idea from Chevrolet) :confuse: were replaced due to a crack in the manifold!
    The check engine light is still on all the time & I get intermittant signals that my gas cap is loose(it's not)the vacuum recovery system is faulty somewhere between the tank & the charcoal canister. :lemon:
    Other than that it is running fine but then it was prior to this happening & then it wasn't & $2900 later it was again! So not only are my fingers crossed but my toes & everything else!
    The decision I have to make now is do I spend the money for an extended warranty or send it down the road before it costs me more? :mad: :sick:
    I'm sorry that I misread your original post, pianoman453. Thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me. When you contacted Customer Service, were you issued a case number (71-**********)? Please forward that to us at [email protected] (or the last 8 digits of your VIN) and we will look into this further.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sportster911sportster911 Member Posts: 3
    So, i have this recurring code. Bank 1, sensor 1 insufficient switching. So far this is what I have done to it to try to remedy the situation: (2) new oxygen sensors, new exhaust manifold, new feul pressure regulator, new intake air resonator box, new thermostat, exhaust cam position solenoid. When monitoring the front o2 sensor while driving, it switches fine at idle and very light throttle BUT if i accelerate and maintain speed above 1500rpms the o2 sensor stays in the .70-.80 range. I hope someone out there has had experience with this and can tell me what I might be doing wrong(?).
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I'd like to hear from anybody with the 8 cylinder engine. Have you encountered any problems? Does the engine have the cylinder de-activation? What's your fuel mileage? Thank you.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    We have a 2010 Colorado crew cab with the 5.3L V8 & 4 speed auto trans. It does not have cylinder deactivation. No problems with the powertrain at all. Haven't tracked the fuel economy, sorry.
  • day4041day4041 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Colorado, with the 3.5L. When I start the engine it rattles like it has bad rod bearings. Then when your driving under light throttle it makes a similar sound. I all ready know about the cylinder head issue. I had brought it to the dealer multiple times and was told that my head was ok. But the engine was not making these sounds back then. Plus my truck is past their notice limitations. I had heard some time ago that there was an issue with the timing chains and guides. Could this be the rattle issue that I have? Has anyone else had this simular problem? Or should I be looking elsewhere ? Please Help.
    My 05 3.5L has 90k on it and while i dont have any head issues it has had the supposed timing chain noise for the last 10,000 miles. It runs fine and performance doesn't suffer any but it does get annoying. I found that putting in half a bottle of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer quites it down some, especially during the winter. If anyone knows of any long term damage from this please share. good luck to all of us!
  • jimmygedjimmyged Member Posts: 8
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom buddy, but thattruck you have there. Well just make it quiet and run away from it as fast as you can! I had the same pig and traded it in as soon as the warrenty ran out! Problem after problem! The noise your hearing if as you say is the timing chain or the advance/retard mechanisim for the cam, then I`ll tell you if it is not replaced with new parts you will blow the engine. These engines are low clearance heads. They will not clear the piston head when at top dead center. Resulting in vales that are left open whenb the piston comes up will crash threw the tops of the pistons. Let a qualified mechanic look at it. Are you having any codes coming up? Is your engine light flashing on and off by any chance? You can take it to autozone and they will read the codes for you for free. Don`t let them clear it so the dealer or mechanic can see them also. Good luck! I`ve had no problems sense I got rid of mine! :lemon:
  • untersberguntersberg Member Posts: 3
    I bought my truck in 2009 at 60k mi from a Chevrolet dealer and in 2010 had it with a different dealer for a recall. Nobody ever mentioned the worn seal/leak problem. I'm the second owner and obviously never got an extended warranty letter - now in 2013 the truck is at 148k miles and I have the dreaded leakage and rough idling. :sick:
    Of course, GMC - who should have issued a recall for this - Refuses covering the necessary and expensive work. Has anyone gotten this issue covered by GMC/Chevy once the warranty (7 yrs, 100k) had passed? I'm so mad!!!!!!!!! I would have gladly tested the car for any issues earlier, had i known about it. This is consumer fraud! :mad: :lemon:
  • scmustang04scmustang04 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2006 3 months ago in great showroom condition with 70k miles loved the truck. after a month of driving it the check engine light came on for random miss fire. took it to my personal mecanic who told me it was due to the head problem.. not a big deal a 3-5 day fix but since it was covered under warrenty to take it to the dealer..well one month later and $1200 for a rental car I did the best thing... traded it for honda. The dealer kept it for 2and 1/2 weeks and finally told me it was fixed I drove it home 2 miles away as soon as it warmed up the check engine light came back on. Took it back they kept it a day told me it was fixed. picked it up it did the same thing again. Took it back to them and they kept it a week and said was my coil, and I owed them $300 for it. Raise cain so they told me it was on them. drove it home and it did it again.. so i took it to my mecanic and ran the code and it pulled 6 new codes again... took back to dealer and they told me it was a concidence and that they where not at fault...keep in mind i drove the truck all of 6 miles in a month. They then said their master mecanic would have to look at it, but i may have to pay...the timing was messed up, the random miss fire still in there, and the computer messed up... I will never buy a chevy again... I grew up driving chevys my first car was a camaro, but now all they care about is how much money they can get out of you.. I guess the dealership figured I was a sucker. however being in the military has taught me a thing or two, and knowing to fix somthing I mess up was part of it. I will stick with a car company who cares about their customers.
    My truck is in the shop now - engine was leaking passed the valve and needs a new head. GMC is telling me that they are not willing to pay a dime since this could be due to the general wear and tear - yeah right. I'm certain that the truck never had full power and had the leak when I bought it on 2009. GMC also found that the timing chain needs to be replaced - it's too tight. How's that possible, it's a chain?!
    I just hope they are able to fix it. Your story and the multiple check engine lights is just unacceptable - combined mechanic and manufacturing incompetency. :sick:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    scmustang04,
    If the dealer you've been working with is one of our GM dealerships and you would like for us to check into this further, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

wow that sounds like the run around the dealer gave me. I hope they are able to fix it as well. What upsets me was my had none of the problems except for the head issue when I took it in. And I really doubt its normal wear and tear.
    Sara, I do no know that there is anything that can be done I had to trade it in because I could not afford another $1000 for a rental car. However the dealer was west chevy in alcoa,tn. I have proof that it did not have the issues before. My personal mecanic is ASC certified, as well as has a shop that is reputable. I just despise how the dealer was so shady. and the truck had 73040 miles
  • albsurealbsure Member Posts: 1
    New to forum. I have a 2005 Canyon,new head installed at 103,000 miles,I had to pay half for it. Same rough idle came back about 5000 miles later. Dealer said it was a $250 cam sensor. Same idle returned and just kept driving since I could not afford another trip to the dealer.Now have 196000 + miles. Really dont think it is a leaking valve seat issue cause it has not lost power of fuel mileage. Thinking its probrably dirty injectors.
  • jame7jame7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 colorado that I brought brand new. It has 50,000 miles on it and is piece of junk. Already had to leave it with the dealer for a week due to a factory recall. I have had to replace the tye rods, the power window switch and now it is in the shop having a evap valve replaced and the windshield wiper motor replaced ( another 700 dollars). I knew I should have gotten a Ford.
    jame7,
    We're sorry that you've had to have some work done on your Colorado over the time you've owned it. Do you have any current concerns with the vehicle?
  • altagirlaltagirl Member Posts: 1
    Man oh man....I wish I'd known about this site BEFORE I bought my Colorado. I'm from Canada, AND a female and I will NEVER buy another GM. I knew I should have stuck with a Ford. I have had NOTHING but grief with this truck, I think I've replaced every light on the darn thing, it sux 4 litres of oil between the 5000 km oil changes and I dunno if they do this in the states, but every time I took the truck in for warranty work, they charged me $200 deductible! OMG...now if that isn't a money grab, I dunno what is.....hmmmm....I googled 'colorado using oil' and it gave me this site. I got some good ideas that I'm going to take over to my brothers when he uses his machine to check the codes. I just shake my head.....give me a 1970-80 vehicle any day....all this tech crap is just a money grab! Good luck to you all and thanks for all the tidbits of info...much appreciated.
    We're sorry that you're having troubles with your Colorado, altagirl. If you wanted to contact customer service for your region, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • abrewer3abrewer3 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 05 Chevy Colorado that just got diagnosed with a cracked head. I see references to a "special warranty" that people have been able to get - what is that? The truck is only driven around town and we are having a hard time believing this has happened. Any info is greatly appreciated!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Unfortunately, a low mileage, well-maintained S10 pick up would have been a better choice. Good luck with your vehicle.
  • jewelofkyjewelofky Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Chevy Colorado in November with 60k miles. After approximately 2 months of the check engine light came with code P0305; the fuel mileage dropped from 19.5 mpg to 17 mpg. After changing ALL the spark plugs, the truck seems to run worse. I do not want to have to change all the coil packs at $75 each. Has anyone had this issue and if so did you find the solution to the problem?

It may just be time to go back to a Nissan, I never had a problem with them.

Thanks in Advance
    This is exactly how our valve leakage problem started. Replacing the spark plugs and coil packs will work for a little but after a while our check engine light came on again. Take your truck to the GMC dealer and have it tested for leaking valves.
    If you have less than 100k miles on your truck, GMC will do it for free based on the extended warranty.
  • owl1owl1 Member Posts: 2
    Have 05 Canyon, it low idle or sometimes the idle speed will hunt! Read the code @ Auto Zone and said vacuum leak, where might it be? Thankx for your help
  • aaronmilleraaronmiller Member Posts: 1
    2008 gmc canyon, 4 cyl, 80k miles. Mine knocks when it's cold. When I was a little kid, my dad had a chevy nova that knocked all the time and it ran better on it's way to the junk yard than my canyon does now. It knocks and sputters unless I let it run for 10 minutes before I drive it. Everyone makes fun of me for it. I mentioned this to service departments at wright gmc in wexford, pa and northstar gmc in zelienople while it was still in warranty, and they never heard of such a problem. I even saw the service manager of north star at walmart and asked him to level with me and he told me I was the first one to ever mention this. Every time I see other canyon/colorado owners I ask them if theirs does it too and they have the exact same thing. I hope the engine pieces stay together until I can trade it in for something different other than a GM. Next time I'll know better and do my homework so i don't have to feel like an idiot when service people lie to my face.
  • donnyrdonnyr Member Posts: 15
    aaronmiller, Mine had a knock upon chanking eng. and GM never found the cause and they eventually bought the truck back and i now have a new one and NO problems SO FAR!!! Good luck!!!
  • russ95russ95 Member Posts: 16
    My 04 Canyon I-5 5sp 2wd had rough idle problems especially after adding fuel and also a major bog when shifting since new. Dealers were never able to find anything wrong. I finally changed the vapor purge solenoid valve ($14.00 @ O'Reilly) located on the left side of the engine. It had been stuck wide open for 140,000 miles. Motor runs like new. Installing a big battery also finally resolved a 2-3 year period of heater-A/C blower & light bulb problems. Note that this truck has at least 15,000 miles towing a fairly light 16.5' boat & 10,000 miles pulling a 2 axle car trailer at up to 4,500 lbs. A lower rear axle ratio would be really nice for the towing. The best fuel mileage using 87 octane Arco (California junk gas w/alcohol) is 28.3 MPG.
    A quick summary on this truck:
    Heater blower has burned up 2 wire looms, 3 resistors, & 2 connector repair kits.
    5 sets of 235/75R15 tires (original junk smaller Generals, 3 sets Yokohama Avid's, 1 set General Grabber HTS, & currently trying a set of Firestone Discovery LE2.
    First ever front brake pads & rotors at 140,551 miles. I might do the rears next year! Amazing.
    Outer tie rod ends replaced today @ 144,655 miles. I set the toe @ -3/16".
    Other than a BIG Costco group 65 battery, oil, filters, wiper blades, a few light bulbs, cleaning throttle body, cleaning MAF, 2 broken windshields, and 1 set of spark plugs everything else is from the factory.
    Due to the clunky handling & uncomfortable seats I would rate the truck @ a 5-6 out of 10.
  • russ95russ95 Member Posts: 16
    See my post #695, it could be the same vapor purge solenoid problem that I had for so long. It never did create a CEL & it may be that the diagnostics only look for a failed valve coil and cannot determine that the valve is stuck in the open position.
  • 69camaro169camaro1 Member Posts: 2
    I Have a 2006 Colorado with 55,000 miles on it. I took it into the local GMC dealer and they replaced a Manifold gasket and told me it also needed a valve job. I take great care of the truck. Why does it need a manifold and a valve job?

Anyway, I paid the bill for the manifold and have not had the valve job done yet. I asked about warranty coverage and was told the warranty expired two weeks prior.

I read the warranty that came with my truck and think that there may be coverage available under the emission warranty because of some extremely vague language in it. I filed a complaint with the GM people asking them about it and was rebuffed and treated rudely.

I asked the dealership about it and set up a meeting with their regional representative to see if any help or relief was available given the low mileage and recent expiry of the warranty.

I waited an hour past my scheduled appointment, and was then taken to the back of the service bays where the rep and manager insisted no help would be given. They could not answer my questions about the warranty with anything more than, "The warranty expired." I felt brow beaten. After I stormed out, the manager followed me to the parking lot of the dealership and blocked me from leaving while he yelled at me.

I am planning to sue, citing the warranty language, unless I can get some help somewhere. I came across this website and there is mention of people with similar problems with their Colorados and a possible warranty extension. Is there some help available without turning to small claims court?
    Hi there,

If you send me your VIN number I can look up your vehicle history and figure out if you indeed have the Emission Select Warranty you mentioned previously, and we can work towards seeking a more satisfactory resolution for your concern. You can continue to message me at [email protected] ATTN Amber. I look forward to your response.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • 69camaro169camaro1 Member Posts: 2
    Amber,

You are at the eighth person from GM who has not answered my question. Can you not look up the warranty on a 2006 Colorado? None of the other seven I spoke to bothered to do that either. What do you consider the conditions for having the warranty apply? Is there or is there not an extended courtesy warranty for these engine failures? At this point, I feel like I am about to embark on another fruitless conversation with a GM flak and I am pretty much fed up. I swore I would never buy another GM after the door fell off my Baretta, but I was fooled and now I'm sorrowful.

By the way, I have no idea what it means to message you.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    They need the VIN to look up your Colorado because it may have equipment that will either qualify or disqualify the truck for the warranty extension. It's apparently not an across-the-board warranty.

"Messaging" Amber means contact her via email at the address in her post, with the subject line to her attention.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    69camaro1,

I can look up the warranty on a 2006 Colorado, but I do need your VIN number in order to do this. As kcram mentioned, the warranties do apply on a case by case basis. By providing your VIN I can see what warranties are still current for your vehicle. If you'd like to "message" me, we are available through email at the following address: [email protected] (ATTN Amber). Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • jlenhardjlenhard Member Posts: 1
    I own currently has 32,500 miles on it. I follow all recommended maintenance schedules and use only full synthetic oil. About a month ago, a check engine light came on producing a P0017 code. A quick search of the web showed this to be a popular problem with your vehicle.

While trying to diagnose the problem the following was replaced:

-Oil was changed (early of schedule),
    -Camshaft actuator solenoid valve
    -Crank sensor
    -Camshaft position sensor
    -Exhaust Cam Actuator
    -Timing Chain

The dealership said that they have heard of “this problem” and have seen other Colorado’s like mine, but could not tell me why a Timing Chain would fail so early in the life of a vehicle. I have driven other GM vehicles and always have been happy with what I thought was a quality, affordable American vehicle. In the case of my Colorado, I feel as though I have unluckily bought a truck that will continue to break down. I have found many Technical Support Bulletins online describing the variety of related problems, but have found nothing as to why these problems continue. Is the design of the engine or production of the parts at fault?

To say the least, I’m unhappy with the quality of vehicle you have produced and am considering selling it before it breaks down again and my power train warranty expires in the upcoming months. Can anything be done to restore my faith in your product and company?

Joshua Lenhard
    Hi Joshua,

I apologize that you have not been satisfied with your GM vehicle. I can certainly research more on your concerns in order to answer more questions for you. Could you please email me at [email protected] [ATTN Amber], and I will look further into this for you. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • dsmith424dsmith424 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Canyon has started to make a noticable hissing sound instead of the usual turbo whine liken noise lately and I have also noticed the torque has been reduced as well,I apologize i dont know much about trucks and im trying to learn on my own.I really cant afford mechanic shops and i have some tools so any wise willing persons out there please help.thank you!
  • pierschillingpierschilling Member Posts: 1
    I read you message and found I have the same problem with a lot of the same tried repairs and still cant fix it. What did you do to finally fix it.
    The light finally stayed off after I changed the MAP sensor.
  • bob88kimbob88kim Member Posts: 1
    Our gorgeous '05 Canyon with THIRTY-FOUR THOUSAND miles requires replace of cylinder head. GMC issued extended warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles--WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL and not an extended warranty. We've been through the GMC Customer Service saga from hell for almost two months (and without our truck), passed off from one "District Specialist" to the next, only to end up with them covering a mere 50% of THEIR $1,800 MANUFACTURING DEFECT.

IT GETS WORSE: The replacement cylinder head that the dealership received from GM WAS ALSO DEFECTIVE!!! We paid $41K for this truck, bought it because our last GMC had 180,000 miles on it with no major problems, have supported GMC religiously for 20 years, only to find out that they're willing to lose a loyal customer at the cost of $900. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE customer service, especially from GMC, and they've made it perfectly clear that SELLING is their number one priority and not customer service. What happened to their customer service "taskforce"? We will not be part of the "GMC Family" again until someone at GMC takes responsibility for reimbursing us for this nightmare and we will continue to warn others about it in every forum possible. Do the RIGHT THING, GMC, and back up your product so that we can be pro-GMC again.
  • olddog74olddog74 Member Posts: 2
    The noise you are hearing is the timing chain & it is common on 3.5 for the chain to make noise when first started . You are ok as long as the noise stops as soon as the oil pressure comes up but if you are hearing this noise while driving you need to get it checked out very soon
  • olddog74olddog74 Member Posts: 2
    Check the bottom of your exhaust manifold where the catalytic converter is attached , they are bad for breaking in that area & that could be your noise & your torque loss
  • savinhillbillsavinhillbill Member Posts: 1
    2004 canyon: 3.5 at idle: truck sounds like a washing machine with marbles in it; about 1500rpm; the sound quiets down: does not affect shifting or engine power or torque while driving onbly 2 idle: Need your input thanks savinhill bill
  • 06colorado06colorado Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2006 chevy Colorado z71- some days won't start - wait 10-15 minutes- finally start up- read several complaints on this about the colorados. I would think this would be a security issue and a insurance issue if they knew . Being there is so many issues with this, is there a recall as there should be or do we indure the cost of repair?
  • 06colorado06colorado Member Posts: 2
  • srthomsensrthomsen Member Posts: 3
    Can't find my owners manual & don't really trust the dealer.

The question is can or should a full synthetic motor oil (mobil 1 for instance) be used in the 5cyl engine without detrimental effects?