Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Fmagellan,

I’m sorry to hear about these frustrations you’re experiencing with your Colorado. If you like, Customer Assistance is available to follow up with the dealership you’ve been working with to try to resolve this concern. Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • fmagellanfmagellan Member Posts: 10
    I need an email address to send the info to.
    My email information is located on my profile here - please click on my username and you should be able to access that.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • golfingeddie1golfingeddie1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 transmission started making a noise and as you got up to about 50 it wouldnt make the noise. Got home and when i backedin the driveway it made a god awful noise. Called dealer talked to a lady and asked about warranty. She said warranty expired at 60thousand. Had truck towed to shop. Found out need new transmisssion. Luckly for me the dealer called me to ask how my recent trip to shop was. I explained to them the problem with tranny. Luckly it was still under warranty. Had to rent a car til they got it diagnosed. A day later they call and offer me a rental. So i had to pay for one day rental. Always been a chev man but my wife has a ford and not one problem. Every chevy ive had always had something wrong with it.
    I hope that the transmission replacement goes well, golfingeddie1! If you have any questions or would like to work with Customer Assistance, please let us know.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • fmagellanfmagellan Member Posts: 10
    Your email is listed as private.
    fmagellan,

Oddly, we've had issues with our email displaying publicly on our accounts since this post. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com - I apologize for any confusion!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bliss6bliss6 Member Posts: 1
    The first mistake, you bought a GM car. As soon as I purchased a nissan, no more problems, bad lies from dealership, etc. Look at it like this, if the vehicle you are thinking of buying loses it value sharply after buying it, it's garbage. I buy japanese or korean cars now, you can buy the ones built here in the U.S.

Sorry to say the big U.S. car makers are putting out garbage! The colorado got discontinued because of so many problems. They seem to have monkeys for engineers, buy a car that keeps it's value. U.S. cars are great rental cars but I will never buy that crap again, the only time I go to the dealership is to buy another one. I have a 2000 Nissan maxima with 146,000 miles, it still drives great. American cars start dying after 50,000-60,000 miles.
  • neveragain35neveragain35 Member Posts: 1
    Long story short. Took my truck to dealer to get valves done under warranty. They forgot to refill my transmission(yes they pulled the radiator).Left me stranded had to walk a few miles for fluid. Complained complained complained . No satisfaction. Now my transmission chirps the tires between 1-2 gear. good rench. HA. Never received customer survey. i believe they filled it out themselves.I would stay away from this brand of truck and their service dept.
  • lane23lane23 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2013
    :( My Dad's 2008 Chevy Colorado, when he's driving slips into neutral from drive then makes a revving noise. Has anyone else come across this? He took it into the dealer, they had it for over a week and it never did it for them. It's done it 3x since he got it back from dealer on Monday, and it's only Saturday!! Anyone have any suggestions??? My Dad bought the truck used with warranty but if doesn't do anything while at the dealer they can't fix it under warranty.
  • Ronalford2016Ronalford2016 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 chevy colorado 2.8l  standard cab Everytime I get up to 45 or 50 mph it loses power what could be the problem
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'll want to check for stored trouble codes. Any warning lights on?

This symptom could be a lot of things. Catalytic converted being clogged up is one suspicion but that should in theory throw a CEL.

Also if there are no codes and no light, I would check your fuel pressure with a gauge, and also service your fuel filter as a precaution.

• jjxsjjxs Member Posts: 6
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Colorado w/6 speed manual trans. I have a shimmy/vibration in 3rd gear. Trying to get some thoughts before my service appointment in5 days.
    Do you feel it in the steering, wheel, or only in the seat of your pants?
  • Shaun53Shaun53 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado the transmission is automatic it does not shift automatically in drive you have to shift it manually everything works fine engine runs fine it moves find you can drive it around it just will not shift down you have to come down to first manually to start off and then shift it back up after you get going what could be my problem
    When was your last transmission service. I always advise two things to start off with: 1) an oil and filter for the transmission if it is due, or overdue, and 2) have the TCM scanned for diagnostic codes.
  • Shaun53Shaun53 Member Posts: 2
    It's up to date on service I had two coats pulled and the guy that pulled it said it showed converter clutch valve I don't know if that sounds right or not what do you think

• JSPaint614JSPaint614 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem shaun53. At 90k miles drive went out. I can manually shift from 1 up to drive and it engages properly.  Today I changed fluid, filter, as well as both solenoids and surprisingly it still doesn't work.  What a piece of garbage.  I will never buy another Chevy after this. GM should be sued out of existence and taken over by Ford for pennies on the dollar.  Maybe thats why Ford didn't need the bailout in 08 and GM did. Also  look at their customer service comments,  they are clearly bots with no intention of helping diagnose the problems.  What a RIP Off 
  • jjxsjjxs Member Posts: 6
    Hard to believe that I am the ONLY owner of a 2019 Colorado WT with six-speed manual trany.

Am I alone?

JJXS
  • Gmelt1Gmelt1 Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the transmission on my 2007 GMC Canyon 3.7l 4x4 and afterwards the 2wd light is steady flashing. the truck will go into 4wd hi and lo and the light is steady. when i switch back to 2wd the light just flashes. any help would be great.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    Start by connecting a scan tool and pull codes from all of the modules on the car. Let us know what you find. Most likely one of the feedback switches that report transfer case or front axle positions are incorrect for 2WD operation. This should also be able to be seen in scan data.