Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Diesel Questions

Comments

• slayersmithslayersmith Member Posts: 7
    Michelle,

I finally got my truck back. I had to pay for parts $1,250.00 GMC picked up the labor. It runs good now, hopefully for the next 300k. At 80K It should not of had any problems, I was told the Duramax breaks in at 100k. I can think of alot of other things I need to do with $1,250.00, I am lucky this is not my primary ride. All of 3 months to get my truck back, what a nightmare!!! And my paint is scratched up on each side of the hood where the mechanic was working.

Aaron
  • pearce369pearce369 Member Posts: 10
    I honestly can't believe you had to pay anything, I thought a 100k power train warranty covered the engine. But it doesn't surprise me, it seems all vehicle companies try to find anyway possible to dodge the bullet
  • folbfolb Member Posts: 54
    They say fuel injectors aren't part of your engine. Take it from me, PPE out of California sells a fuel rail valve that really works. I had trouble with mine. About $50.00 I think. Not too hard to install.
  • slayersmithslayersmith Member Posts: 7
    Truck is an 03 I only drive it on weekends and trips. 5 Years or 100k on the warranty so I was screwed!!!! All I can say is if you have a Dramax and it's out of warranty get an extended warranty!!! Head gaskets are a 34 hour job @ $100.00 per hour at the dealer plus parts = $4,500.00

Extended Warranty about $1,800.00 for 5 years or 100K, worth it!!!!!!

Not sure if I was lucky GMC helped me or if I should of not had to pay anything at all!!! It was out of Warranty though! Piece of crap Duramax!!!!
  • fordhater1fordhater1 Member Posts: 3
    Feel very lucky you have a GMC. I had o5 Ford diesel last summer,42,000 miles 1 month out of warranty. They had tons of problems with the 6 liter. My truck would not start when hot and was a problem with small part in back of motor that they had alot Hundreds of problems with and they charged me $3400.00 to repair. It was a built in problem. After that 2 weeks later the turbo blew. I now have a 07 GMC dually diesel. My point is GMC stood behind something FORD said to me if they repaired their 6.0 liter problems they would have had to take government money. Guess what !!! I will never buy a Ford product again. You are lucky not to have the hate in you that I have for Ford.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    slayersmith,
    Did you make the dealer aware of the scratches?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bowhunter6bowhunter6 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a little guidance have 03 duramax 165000 miles, I am now getting what appears to be white smoke when truck is warmed up and sitting at idle, once was told I must be getting water in oil but this is not the case.. it does smell like fuel. Any info someone can give would be greatly appriciated.
    Many issues could cause this, two of the most common would be low compression and fuel injector pump issues.
  • bowhunter6bowhunter6 Member Posts: 2
    well I have not yet had to replace any of the fuel injectors on this truck, I suppose it is time for me to shell out a few bucks and get it put on a computer I guess. Any thoughts on an 08 i have not seen much on this blog about the 08.
  • mrsixmrsix Member Posts: 1
    my 06 keeps blowing the turbo hose at high speeds how do i fix this
    an to be honest ive had a f350 an a duramax and they really dont make the dually trucks tough like youd think they would be for the high price i sware im about to wash my hands with duallys an try a suv i just hate to cross over to gas but yea these trucks are nothing but headaches an let downs
  • hpeepleshpeeples Member Posts: 2
    I have three Duramax diesels that all go into limp mode when loaded. One is 2500 and two 3500. The service engine light usually comes on first. Sometime just stopping for a while will clear it up. Sometime we flush the fuel filter and it goes away. GM has no solutions.
    Do you have power adders, programmers to increase HP? If you do, you are getting to much power to the trans. There are things you can install in your trans to increase clutch pressures. ATI, Bullydog, PPE all make these. I keep a 35.00 OBD II reader with me to reset the DTC code, however, the last time it went into limp mode( doing 75 MPH with AC on and punched the diesel) I had to reset with my PPE power programmer. But the reader normally does the trick. I have used the parts in the trans yet. Cost.
    hpeeples,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? Feel free to email me directly with your VIN and contact information. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • redcanyonkimredcanyonkim Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 Duramax 2500 with the same issue. Just started this year - have you found a solution? This will be the 3rd time we've taken it to the shop with this problem of it going into limp (safety) mode when we tow anything.
    Christina, what do your people say about the limp mode?
  • redcanyonkimredcanyonkim Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    The first time it happened we had driven 250 miles to buy a new camper, on the way home the truck started over heating about 30 miles into our trip to return home. We were in the middle of the desert without options except to get it home. We limped it home - stopping to let it cool down and driving 25mph. The mechanic replaced the thermostats and thought that would fix it.

The second time we were towing a camper to go out of town and never made it to the edge of the city before the truck went into limp mode -the mechanic said that a radiator hose collapsed, causing overheating that caused the limp mode to activate, and replaced it. This time we were hauling trash in our dump trailer and it went into safety mode on the way home after the trailer was empty...back to the shop today. Forgot to tell you that the temperature was normal.
    redcanyonkim,
    Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? If not I would recommend asking them to do so. Can you please email me with your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    folb,
    Can you please send me your VIN? What specific information would you like about limp mode? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    2005 Duramax. Don't have the vin handy. I have a PPE programmer on it. Under load, lets say on program 3, can get to 10, the trans feels like it slips from 4th to 5th and then either goes into limp mode where it can't get past 2000 RPM or it stays in 4th. I then have to pull over and reset a DTC code to clear the check engine light and the trans goes back to normal. The limp mode for the rpm's though, I think is more of a fuel rail issue where the driver side pressure relief valve doesn't hold. I've had to replace it with a race valve, also had to replace two fuel rail valve on the front of the engine (bigger orifices)and the fuel rail with valve on the passenger side. All a pickup fuel pump back by the fuel tank. I would have thought the trans would hold at least some additional power. Now replacing the water pump. Gasket leak so might as well replace pump. $1359.00. WOW 155,000 miles.
  • wallowfirewallowfire Member Posts: 1
    06 duramax 3500 HD - I complained for ONE YEAR at the dealer about a clunk noise on driver front side. They could "never duplicate" the noise. Just had my local mechanic do service & tire rotation, the left front wheel hub assembly fell off in his hands!!! When I let the dealership know, they really didn't seem to care. This could have been disasterous for us pulling a 26' trailer!!
  • cowboy43cowboy43 Member Posts: 2
  • cowboy43cowboy43 Member Posts: 2
    Warning light says check oil level; gauge is buried clear to right past 80; oil level is fine, and truck runs perfect. Changed the oil pressure sending unit with no change. What next?
    folb,
    Have you spoke with your GM dealer of choice? If not, I would recommend starting there. They will be able to assist you in diagnosing your vehicle and finding a resolution to your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • hpeepleshpeeples Member Posts: 2
    1GCJC39D16E208970 is a 2006 Silverado 3500, 1GBHC29D47E154952 is a 2007 Silverado 2500 and 1GCJK39698E174591 is a 2008 Silverado 3500 4x4. None of three GM service shops have solved the problem yet. The 2008 is in now for replacement of two fuel injectors at $2700.
    hpeeples, (and anyone else experiencing this concern)
    I would recommend having your dealer involve technical assistance if they are unable to diagnosis your vehicle. When you vehicle goes into reduced power (limp mode) there should be a code stored. I hope this helps. I am still looking for more information for this. But from what I have gathered the vehicle could go into reduced power (limp mode) for many different reasons.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    There have been reports of the trans slipping in the allisons between 4th and 5th gears while towing. I'm told it is clutch pressures. Do you have any info on this? Is there something in GM's computer system that can be reflashed or programmed to increase the clutch pressures? ATI, Bullydog, PPE, all make either parts to install in the trans or an electronic device to increase these pressures. Please let us all know.
  • taz_59taz_59 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD with 117k on it. About 2 weeks ago it threw a P0403 code indicating the EGR valve is having problems. I ordered a new EGR and this morning I started the truck put it in reverse and it died. It cranks, but won't start.

Would the EGR valve cause the truck to not start at all?
    Did you try to put the old EGR valve back in?
    Haven't gotten the new one yet...just wondering if it will stop it from starting.
    Check your electric fuel pump relay under the hood. It or one of the other relays could be bad causing the electric fuel pump not to run.
  • barrailbarrail Member Posts: 27
    not sure what the fuse box looks like on the 07' classic, but my 05' has multiple fuse boxes and you'd be amazed at what is fused, at least I was. good luck. let us know what happens
    Didn't have time to work on the truck so I towed it to a friends shop...so far there is NO fuel flow...could be the relay or the pump if I had to make a guess...It has been slow in starting lately, so the pump may be the problem.
    Good luck! Sounds like your on the right track.
    Put a new fuel filter in it and primed it...working fine and now problems...put the new EGR valve in it afterwards. First problem I have had with it mechanically since I bought it...
  • davetxdavetx Member Posts: 5
    I am experiencing a problem with the a/c and heater controls on my 2004 GMC Sierra 3500. I have the dual zoned a/c heater control system. The driver's side of the system, when set on cold running the a/c will all of a sudden switch to hot air blowing thru the vents, but only on the driver's side. The passenger's side continues to blow cold air. No matter what I do, slide the temp control up and down, turn off the fan control, or switch the vent control to a different setting, the hot air continues to blow. The only way to make it go back to the a/c mode is to turn off the ignition and then restart the truck (very inconvenient when driving down the road). Sometimes this will happen often, then other times it will act normal for weeks without incident. Any ideas?
  • barrailbarrail Member Posts: 27
    my truck did the same thing, and last week it went in for a new fan speed switch under a recall. Has not done it since. Check with dealer to see if your truck is part of the recall.
  • mistamulemistamule Member Posts: 1
    My 06 now has a ticking sound in the engine, plus it's cutting back and shaking like crazy
    Mistamule,

I’m sorry to hear about the noise concern you’re having with your vehicle – have you been working with Customer Assistance at all? Please email us your information via the email listed in our profile if you’d like help working with a dealership to resolve this concern.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Assistance
  • wheretootravelwheretootravel Member Posts: 6
    hi i have a 2010 chevy silverado diesel i have soot blowing out the right side of truck when pulling fifth wheel it gets the leg on the 5th wheel black i have been told the filter needs replaced but it looks fine i might go ahead an replace it anyway i wanted to know if there was a exhaust tip i could purchase to blow out the side or down instead of the standard straight back thanks for any help linda
  • dvaneckdvaneck Member Posts: 2
  • dvaneckdvaneck Member Posts: 2
    Just replaced alt, and found that the box on the top of engine on drivers side is smoken hot, only showing 13v on the charge meter, and seems to be shorted, is this a common problem and what do i look for to get replacement parts
  • kingmidgetkingmidget Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping around for exhausts and looking at mbrp..is there any better out there and what do you guys think?
  • 04duallygal04duallygal Member Posts: 2
    i have an 04 3500 crew dually 4x4, 6.6L Duramax 180,000miles, all stock except the aluminum wheels. I am getting 23mpg open highway and 16mpg in town heavy traffic. My best fuel mileage open highway is 71ish mph... if I run 55-65 the mpg drops off. I typically drive 500+ miles per week for work so this one NEVER sits around idle, that might be the secret?
  • weepheeweephee Member Posts: 6
    Hello I am new to this forum and in need of help. I purchased a late model 2004 Silverado LLY diesel extend a cab 2500 HD truck that will not start. So far I replaced the fuel injection pump which is a job I hope I never have to do again. I replaced all the glow plugs and one injector. Also replaced the fuel filter. Truck has 230 k miles. It has been at a GM Chev dealership for 2 days and the mechanics have been unable to start it. (Fires a little when cranking) They have checked compression and all is good and the fuel pressure is at approx 5200 lbs when cranking. GM mechanic is telling me there are no trouble codes. He thinks it might be the Fuel Pump Injector Module ($2000) item but no guarantees. They are going to call GM Technical Department for some help. Can anyone give me some advice as to what might be preventing this engine from starting. Anything I can tell the mechanic to look into. Thanks
  • dozerdoggdozerdogg Member Posts: 2
    Weephee when u changed the fuel filter did u fill it with diesel and prime it? I know when I changed the fuel filter on my 03 DMax I have to prime it and crank it for 15 min. Before it would start back up. Open up the bleeder screw on top of the filter housing and push the primer. Fuel should squirt out with not bubbles. Hope this helps.
    Thx dozerdogg for your reply. I did all you suggested and it still wouldn't start. After 4 days of consulation between the mechanic and GM tech support, they are 95% sure it is the FICM. Dealer wants $2000 for it and I found a new one on ebay for $450. Dropped it off at the dealer today so perhaps on Monday the truck will be running. I will report back soon. Thx again
    I came back from the dealer today and the engine will still not start with the new FICM. GM techs and dealer mechanic and the shop forum can not figure it out. Any ideas out there what can be tried next. Please help.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    weephee,

We're sorry to hear that your dealership has not been able to get this resolved; if you would like for us to follow up on this with them, please email the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your current dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Still no solution after two weeks at GM Chev dealer. Can anyone tell me what the supply voltage is to the injectors. I believe supply voltage is from the FICM. Mechanic says it should be 48 volts but I can't find that anywhere in the shop manual. Is is 48 volts or 12 volts. THX.
    Truck has now been at the dealers for 3 weeks and still no start. Gave them another ECM which they programmed and it made no difference. BTw the voltage on the injectors is 48 volts. They also did a fuel by-pass on the two injector rails and the results were within GM tolerances so that isn't the problem. Now they want to remove a few injectors and have them tested to see if that might be the problem. When they did the by-pass test there were a lot of air bubbles entering the injectors. I think they might be coming from the fuel filter hand pump so I've ordered a gasket set to replace the 0-rings. Also replacing the water collector at the bottom of the fuel filter. Is anyone interested in what is happening here. If I don't hear from someone, I guess I will quit reporting.