Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• johnoyedjohnoyed Member Posts: 5
    There might be hope, they kept pushing the part arrival date back. For me it was 64 days but i got it in on the 50th day. The car is working fine with no problems. My initial problems were all the warning lights staying on for about 4 months. Then the brake would not depress before starting it . so the starting sensor wouldn't connect and it wouldn't start. Good Luck, hope it comes in soon, will keep you posted on if they give me any money to cover the lease payments. Should know this week.
  • zambellizambelli Member Posts: 1
    I left my car 4 weeks ago at Hudson Chrysler in Jersey City Nj
    They don't provide a car loan.
    the Service Manager have no clue when the part will be at the dealer
    I called costumer service almost everyday, they will give you a "case number"
    they say "we have a team working the get this part faster" Its BS.
    and after call them almost everyday they transfer to "case manager" there is nothing they can do about it, also I ask if the new tipm goes bad again what should I do? the "case manager" says the warranty its 12 months or 12000 miles.

I have to pay $1200 to fix my card and I know the tipm only going to last another 40000 miles.
    I already made my mind : fix the car, sale and by another brand, jeep left me with no car and no help with the cost to fix it. im done with them.

Lets get together and file against them.
  • darnold50darnold50 Member Posts: 9
    Did y'all have to pay for the part before they ordered it? I was told today that I would have to pay for the part before they order because it is not covered by warranty. I also called another dealer and they told me the TIPM issues resemble "computer software" issues as well and there is a software update which came out about 2 weeks ago. No one has mentioned this...anyone know about this?
  • cmeeducmeedu Member Posts: 5
    I paid $100 for the computer software update and it did absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Don't waste your money.
    Just got off the phone with Chrysler. My leased 2011 jeep overland was in the shop waiting for TIPM for 50 days. Got it installed, car seams to be running fine,. The are going to send me a check matching my lease payments for the time it was in the shop. When i get the check, will post to let you guys know if its a reality. I just wish they would of of thrown in a little xtra for the serious time and major pain in the [non-permissible content removed] it was dealing with this.
    Dealer says they won't order until I pay for the part. If it's not under warranty it has to be paid UPFRONT! I almost lost it!!! Finally spoke to Chrysler case manager...nothing yet. They said they called the dealer twice for info but never got a call back. And on we go.....
  • stupidpeoplestupidpeople Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011, used at the beginning of august. It had almost 35,000 miles on it when my fiance' and I bought it. After just a week it started failing. At first I just thought it was me trying to start it too quick or not pushing the brake hard enough, but then it got worse. It would start, but just have super low RPM, and never fully start. When that happened, I did a google search and saw all these posts about the TIPM. So, the next morning I called the Dealer and told them my dilemma and they said bring it in. I told them about the posts I read and that I was certain it was the TIPM, and they said ok they would look at it. That was last Wednesday, and they reprogrammed the main computer. I got the jeep back Thursday, went to start it up to come home and it did it again. Was able to bring it back to them that same Thursday, and told them again about the blogs, forums, and youtube videos I saw and read. They had it until Monday and replaced the fuel module, and told me I needed to bring the other key in to have that reprogrammed as well. I brought the car home and the other key didn't work! I am furious at this point!! Then the jeep did the same thing again and wouldn't start! It took three times before it started, unfortunately the dealership was closed by this point. The next morning it took my fiance' three times again to get it started to go to work. When she tried to leave for lunch it wouldn't start at all. Before I was just dealing with the service manager, but this time I called the GM. I explained the whole situation to him and told him he needed to make this right! We haven't even had the jeep for 60 days. The jeep was towed yesterday and they gave us a rental all free of charge. The service manager called me today and said (like he figured out what was wrong) "Well we ran some tests and it turns out it is the TIPM". The thing is....he said the part would be in, in a few days. I keep reading how this part is back ordered. So IDK. Has anyone on here got the part relatively quickly? If not, I will let you know if it is just a "FEW DAYS".
  • fbassfbass Member Posts: 2
    Hello, its not on the Jeep I have the same problem with my Durango. The day I was to get my truck inspected for the extended warranty my truck wouldnt start. The dealer said it was the gas pump, and a new battery. I paid 1900 for that, the day i came in to pick the truck up it wouldnt start, the dealer got it started went home, next day car wouldnt start. Oh this was August 13, 2013, the truck is out of warranty, but chrysler said that they will pay for the part and for the rental, well that caused a red flag bcz why didnt chrysler offer to pay for the gas pumps. I did a little investigating and there are several blogs talking bout this issue, yes the push button start works to get u by, but all you are doing is killing the battery. I hate having to pay a car note on something that I cannot use, I hate having to drive this rental car, I bought this american made car bcz I called myself doing my part. If there is a lawsuit, I want in, if there is anyway Chrysler can pay my car note for Sept and Oct, I want in. They have changed my shipping date twice thus far.
  • badazchic2badazchic2 Member Posts: 4
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. JEEP HAD MY CAR 8/29 AND I JUST GOT IT BACK 9/23. I CALLED CORP. OFF EVERYDAY COMPLAINING. THEY ARE ALSO REIMBURSING ME FOR MY CAR NOTE I JUST PAID. SO FAR MY CAR IS RUNNING GOOD.
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. JEEP HAD MY CAR 8/29 AND I JUST GOT IT BACK 9/23. I CALLED CORP. OFF EVERYDAY COMPLAINING. THEY ARE ALSO REIMBURSING ME FOR MY CAR NOTE I JUST PAID. SO FAR MY CAR IS RUNNING GOOD.
    Well I got some sort of victory today. I spoke with Chrysler case manager who has been trying to get with the dealer to get more information in order to proceed. The dealer called me late today and told me they talked with Chrysler who will cover the part. However, since I have the car in my possession, they won't cover rental until the car is totally dead. I explained to the dealer that I am not driving the car around with this being a safety issue. It could go out at any time and I need my car to perform my job. I can't be left stranded or worse have it go out while driving. Once again, the dealer will get back to me. I will gladly bring it back to them if they pay my rental. Once I get this car back, it will be traded in!!!! No more American made crap. I will stick with the foreign cars as the ones I've had have never given me as much trouble as Jeep/Chrysler. I should've learned my lesson with our 96 Caravan...had many issues with that. So we will see.....
  • alhegalheg Member Posts: 2
    2011 Jeep Cherokee fuel pump continued to run after shutdown and would run battery down. Mechanic couldnt find a TIPM so he found a company to rebuild faulty TIPM, cost 269.00 and works fine, Finally back on the road again .

Check with AR Speedometer & Gauge 918-640-0659
    badazhic2 - Was your car under warranty? Did you get a case # from Chrysler? Just wondering as ours is out of warranty and we did not get extended warranty. We have started a case with Chrysler and still working to get them to do anything. They won't pay for the part and only going to pay for rental for 7 days...so far.
    Found out today from dealer that they can only order 1 TIPM per week and they've already ordered 1 this week. Is that not the craziest thing you've ever heard? I find that a little unreal. The dealer has agreed to pay for ours...I guess we pay the labor. Chrysler has only agreed to 7 days rental...so far. The dealer wants us to keep driving the car and when it breaks down, tow it in. Now isn't that dandy? I couldn't believe it!!!! I've already planned to trade this baby in once it gets fixed. I can't wait!!!
    My car [2011 overland grand cherokee] is a lease, TIPM part was still under warranty, Got a case # from chrysler, went thru 3 case workers. I wasn't very POLITE! They gave me hard time about the rental saying they were doing me a favor by giving me one, its in the fine print. Kept at them for the rental, don't be afraid to make them feel guilty about this. I ended up getting around 32 days rental out of them. Also make sure the rental company is getting the rental extensions from chrysler thru your case worker. I had initial 5 days of rental from service/repair company, then chrysler took over the rest of the rental time. Good luck, don't let it make you crazy like i did.
  • roughride2roughride2 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    My 2011 Durango Citadel 5.7L has had electrical issues since it was still under warranty. We took it to the original dealership when the starting/stalling issue first popped up with about 34k miles on it, but they could not replicate the issue and did not run a scan on the TIPM to see that it was faulty. At 50k miles the starting issue really got bad, and it stalled several times and nearly stranded us on a road trip. Took it to a second dealership around the end of July, and they immediately diagnosed the TIPM (and told me the fault was stored in memory from the first incident while still under warranty). Called Chrysler and they agreed to replace the part if I paid for the labor. First TIPM delivery date was the end of August. When that passed they updated the system to the end of September. When that passed it went to the end of October. I finally got hold of someone at Dodge Customer Care that understood the TIPM issue, and I was assigned a case number and case manager for my TIPM delivery. I'm now told my TIPM might be shipped next week, but I'm not holding my breath. My wife loves her Durango and really doesn't want to replace it, but this has got to get better. They should warranty the replacement TIPM to 10yr/100k, and not just 12/12k.
    Yes it was covered under the warranty. Not the Chrysler warranty I have but my extended warranty which is Zurich. I had a case Number with Chrysler and my case worker was Doug (he never returned my calls). They only covered my rental for 6 days. I called them everyday and demanded some answers. Right now I am awaiting my refund check for my car note I paid.
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 2
    Our 2011 Grand Cherokee is sitting in a garage in Mew Mexico while we are home now in Nevada with a rental van. The dealership was told that there are over 2000 of the "distribution modules" on backorder with 350 people 'stranded" and on emergency status and they only have about 250 of them available to ship sometime within the next 10 days. The rest of them are on an undetermined schedule. We got an email from Chrysler telling us that there is nothing to confirm yet and they'll send another message on the 30th. It's unfortunate that Chrysler doesn't step up and admit there's a huge problem..
  • lfelipelfelipe Member Posts: 5
    SIMPLE FIX to the TIPM issue with comments:

I Love JEEP and all American built cars and believe that our economy would be in a greater position if most of us invested in American built items. The problem, however, is that many of the American car corporations do not have as much faith in the consumers as they do in them.

I have been having similar problems with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo at 68,000 miles.

I would attempt to crank but the car would not turn over due to issue with the fuel pump which are located in the fuel tank. My issue is that my pump would not turn on when I needed it nor would it turn off when the vehicle is turned off. This, of course, causes the battery to drain. For the JGC 2011, there are two pumps. One that starts the vehicle and the other allows the vehicle to continue running.

For most parts on most cars when they fail, a blown fuse is in indication of the problem and a new fuse or relay would be the resolution. The fuse for the fuel pumps in 2011 JGC are actually built inside the pump.

Jeep indicates that to resolve the issue the TIPM or the entire FUSE BOX must be changed out. it costs $924 for the part and it is on national back order.

The resolution, therefore, could not be to change out the TIPM but to do make a connection from the fuel pump(s) to the fuse panel with a switch inside the vehicle that allows the driver to turn the pump on & off as needed.

This is exactly what I did on 09/28/2013. My jeep appears to working perfectly now.

My AWESOME mechanic dropped the fuel tank, connected a wire directly to the fuel pumps and attached it to the fuse box. The wire was entered through the driver side passenger seat and is hidden beneath the plastic panels as it taken through the driver side area and out to the engine and into the fuse box. A connecting wire is added below the steering wheel area to add the toggle switch that allows me to turn the pump on & off as needed.

I will definitely share an update on this form on if I have future issues. I do not believe that I will future issue simply because I have an AWESOME mechanic. This guy is like Einstein when it comes to cars. My faith in his ability is not because of his in depth knowledge of all vehicles but because he is driven by problem resolution and not by money. For the record, I only paid him $100. It was what he asked for and it was just what I had.

I do not believe that consumers should be forced to pay thousands of dollars for faulty equipment on the part of the manufacturer. I expect a recall soon.

I hope this helps.
    Great information...I did not know that the fault was stored in memory since the first incident. I know we had several times where our car started and stalled with me thinking it was just my error or one time thing. The dealer has never provided me with a printout of the scan of the TIPM - which I have requested for my records....I paid for it, I should get a copy. Keep us updated. I can't believe you've been out of a car since July and still waiting...that is ridiculous. A 2-3 yr old car should be more reliable than that.
    Will Do

I have spoken with a few other mechanics regarding what my AWESOME mechanic did and all agreed that they believe that it was the only true viable solution to the issue and will try same approach
  • alhegalheg Member Posts: 2
    Found a guy to rebuild TIPM, finally back on the road again, So far seems to work good.
  • blakeburchblakeburch Member Posts: 5
    Hey all! I feel like we all have so much in common!!

My wife and I bought a 2011 Cherokee Laredo 3.7 last November and have had it trouble free (Id hope so being 3 years old right?) Until this past week.

I am having the no start issues everyone is talking about. Hit the button and the engine just cranks and cranks. I'm somewhat familiar with auto mechanics so I started digging around. The thing I have noticed when this first happened is, If I cycle the push button to ACC on, then press brake and start, it would fire up. Most of the time. If it started at all, it would either stay running or it would hiccup and die. One at the house, I checked over all fuses and relays and all seemed to be fine.

After getting it started and home, I started to reenact the no start troubles. Id cycles to ACC on and listen for the fuel pump to prime. If I can hear it prime continuously for 2-4 seconds, it would start right away. Sometimes it would prime for .5-1 second, stop, kick on again for another second. This time the engine would start but immediately die. Other times it would just crank. I think the fuel pump is extra loud while priming but that could just be because I'm consciously listing to it and in my garage.

This happened maybe 2 times over the last 10 months but it would always start after trying a second time. So we just chalked it up to a weird occurrence.

I don't believe I've had an issue with the pump staying on at all times. I've also never lost charge in my battery. I'm hoping someone else has had this issue with the fuel pump not getting a signal to prime and believe these issues are one in the same.

I am in Houston and the local to me dealer and the dealer we purchased the Cherokee from both have a dozen vehicles waiting for the TIPM. They have both confirmed Chrysler has put a limit on order 1 TIPM per dealer per week.

I have 2 options I'm willing to take with this car.
    -hard wire a switch to the fuel pump that bypasses the TIPM and wait for a recall or
    -I have found a company who will rebuild the TIPM for a reasonable amount. They claim to have found a fix for the "Fuel pump stays on and drains the battery" issue but I don't think I'm having that problem. Although I believe my issue is caused by the same "section" of the TIPM. If anyone is interested, search ebay for Cherokee TIPM and you will see his listing.
  • soazjgc2000soazjgc2000 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 grand cherokee has the same stalling problem. mine has 198000 miles, and i have only had it about 3 months. the funny thing is i took it on a trip across the country 5000 miles without any issue, now this happens. when i go for a drive somtimes 30 minutes or so, it stalls out without warning, usually while approaching a stop from 40 mph, and sometimes while parked. but never while under throttle. the gas guage shows empty, the gas light comes on, the other guages go to zero, and the sentry key light comes on. it will crank, but sounds like there is no fuel and no spark. i have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and the auto shutdown relay, cleaned the mass airflow sensor, cleaned the battery terminals untill shiny, tested and charged the battery, (tested good)and inspected all wiring i can see under the hood and under the jeep, (found no visible rubbing to make a short). I have narrowed the problem down to 1 thing but not really sure.... if i wiggle the connector to the pcm (the one of the 3 on the inside closest to the engine) the jeep will usually start again, but sometimes dies again within a few minutes or 40 minutes. it's very random. today i removed that connector, removed the elec tape and wire sheild and inspected the wiring as far as i could see but found no evidence of bare wires... any suggestions?
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 2
    After having to abandoned our vehicle at the dealership in Las Cruces, New Mexico on Sept 13th with a faulty TIPM, new fuel pump and one week old battery. We rented a vehicle to get back to our home 750 miles away. We have worked directly with Chrysler Jeep and they have done their best for us. We got a call from the dealership yesterday saying that our Jeep was repaired with a new TIPM !! Chrysler is covering the cost of the part and most of the cost of the rental car. They would probably cover the entire amount but we will be dropping it off where we live which will incur a "dropoff" fee and we will have to leave in in NM until mid November when we can get back down there to pick up the vehicle. They have asked us to submit the receipts for the battery and fuel pump and they will consider covering those repairs also. The dealership in Las Cruces is not very big so that could be the reason that they were able to get the part so quickly. Whatever the case, we feel fortunate that they took care of it so quickly and that some of the costs are being covered.
    edited October 2013
    blakeburch - Welcome fellow Houstonian! I'm still waiting for my part to be ordered. The dealer, Tomball Chrysler Jeep & Dodge told me they ordered the part 9/20. Then didn't return calls to Chrysler Care with the order information. I learned on 9/27 that it couldn't be ordered for 5 more days as they can only order 1 per week. Then I got a call from Chrysler Care who has been following this, that the dealer can't order until 10/10. So we are 3 weeks before a part is even ordered. I don't know how long it will take after that or if it will ever get ordered. I have a friend who says he knows some people at Chrysler and is trying to get more info or help. Anything would be great. I just want to be able to drive something I'm paying for!!! A 3 yr old car shouldn't have this major of a problem. I hope you fair better than me if you go thru a dealer to fix. My case manager at Chrysler Care has been very helpful and appears to be on top of the situation. We have yet to set up the rental but that is partly my fault due to a family emergency. If you are out of warranty, Chrysler will give you some help with rental and paying for expenses. Good luck!!
    Wow...that's a quick turnaround. It's been 3 weeks and mine isn't even ordered yet. Hope all works out once you receive.
    You will experience the same issue in another 1 to 2 years. The problem is that the fuse for the fuel pump may be in the pump itself which is located in the tank. I hard wired a switch to the TIPM that allows me to turn on and off as needed.

I've had zero problems

If you proceed and wait for a new one, what will you do if it fails again??

The manufacturer took such deliberate effort in not placing a fuse or relay in the TIPM, would it not stand to reason that increased revenue is the motive.

I spent a grand total of $150 to hardwire and obtain a guaranteed solution. How much are you willing to spend?

Look at the pros and cons then make an informed decision.

Good Luck
  • hemiglock21hemiglock21 Member Posts: 19
    Ifelipe,

Can you tell us how to do that or what to tell a mechanic so they would understand? Where is the switch? Inside the cab or under the hood?

Thanks for the info!
    The mechanic first dropped the fuel tank where the fuel pumps are and attached a hard wire entering into the cab from the driver side passenger seat. From there, he ran the wire under the paneling on driver side all the way and out to the engine to the current TIPM. A fuse is attached and is left in the fuse box. The mechanic the spliced the same wire underneath the steering area in order to create a toggle switch that will allow me to turn on when I crank and to turn off when I exit the vehicle so as not to drain battery especially since the fuel pump has tendency to stay on once car is off.

I can send pics if needed.
  • mpetrosky79mpetrosky79 Member Posts: 1
    I believe I am dealing with the same issue as you are. I just purchased a used 11 Jp Gr Chk and my starter has been giving me the same issue. How can I get on this class action suit?
    What state are you in?
    Well guess what. My dealership called me up and said that my TIPM arrived. I'm all set to have it installed when I can get my Jeep over to them. How about that? Right out of the blue! BTW it took 54 days of waiting and one cancelled vacation to get to this point.
  • believer7729believer7729 Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe Chrysler is letting so many people have to deal with this stress and not doing the right thing and RECALLING these vehicles with so many have the same issues. I bought my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee less then a year ago and was so thrilled as I just love this model jeep and had a 2004 Laredo before this but it had alot of miles and died on me last Dec so I was able to get the 2011 and really love it. However a couple of months ago I noticed the screen inside kept saying Key Not Detected and so I called the dealer and they said that it's because I keep in down in my purse. So I didn't think much about it. Then it started hesitating when I would push the Start button and I would have to work with pushing my brake and the start button several times to get it to start. Looked online and saw all the posts about TIPM. Of course my warranty had expired at 39,000 miles and my car is at 45,000. I had started to purchase the extended warranty just before this issue began occuring but it was $300 down and $87/month for 24 months. I really couldn't afford that and so I canceled it. But then I was beating myself up wishing I had it. So 2 weeks ago I went out to start my car to go to work and it would not turn over. I had to renew my AAA membership, they tried their battery to no avail, then called another AAA tow truck to dealer. After having it 1 week they said it needed a new starter for $810. Then after putting the starter in they called and said it still wouldnt' work and they couldn't figure out what is wrong with it and had a call into Chrysler for help. One week later (yesterday) they called me and told me I needed a new TIPM for $1200 but Chrysler had agreed to cover it except for $100. That was the good news. The bad news is that the TIPM is on international back order (I had already known this from my internet search and was thinking this was the problem with my jeep in first place) so I knew it could be several months at least before they even get that part in. They have agreed to pay for 5 days car rental and I told them that is not enough that they need to cover car rental until my car gets fixed. This has been a nightmare. He said this is very unsual for the TIPM to go out and he's never seen before. I just don't know even if this gets replaced if I can trust this vehicle anymore. I am just so stressed about all of this and am going to file a formal complaint with Chrysler. This is a nightmare.
  • jschiegnerjschiegner Member Posts: 2
    Dropped off my Jeep yesterday to get the same news from the dealer. They are telling me that they are not offering any financial assistance on the parts/labor or any loaner/rental program. They only told me if this does go to a full recall I would be reimburse... Who were you able to speak to to give you a hand with it all? Thanks!
    My suggestion to those that are stranded or do not have a warranty, is to buy your own brand new TIPM directly from the same place that Chrysler gets them. See the link below. This is exactly the same product that you are waiting for, but you will have to pay for it on your own and I doubt you will be reimbursed, even if there is a recall in the future. You will still have to pay your dealership to install it. At least you would be safe and not stranded and you can rely on getting home when you go somewhere.

Make sure to select the one that is right for your make and model. Mine is the Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 2011, which is where this link goes. You might need to tweak this to match your year/make/model.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/MODULE-Totally-Integrated-Power/431- 7119/04692316AI.html
  • gvm267gvm267 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Everyone having issues with TIPM causing starting, stalling and electrical problems, and there are lots of us....we need to innundate Jeep with emails, calls and hopefully get a class action suit going as they need to do the right thing and issue a recall on this problem. The facts as I understand them are this is becoming a larger and more pervasive problem as the vehicles get older. My 2011 Grand Cherokee has starting and stalling problems, mechanic spoke to his friend at local Jeep dealer and was told this is an ongoing problem with these vehicls. I have 59k miles and can't start it. Stalls out regularly. TIPM is $900 and labor is 2 hours at $100/hr and these are on backorder for about 4 weeks. New OEM supplier of this unit and that pretty much proves the old supplier's units were faulty. Here is some info and I hope everyone emails and calls. The more pressure, the more there is a chance that Jeep will man up and issue a recall. Emal of Jeep Pres and CEO: mike.manley@chrysler.com Customer care phone number: 877-426-5337 open M-F 7-midnight, Sat 8-8 and Sun 9-5, all times eastern time zone. Call, email, write. let's put pressure on them. This needs to be covered by Chrysler...these didn't wear out, not moving parts, they simply are faulty in manufacture.
  • yvilla363yvilla363 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same exact problems with my 2012 Durango. I haven't taken it in yet....I'm scared too. I just bought this SUV in January, and I love it but I don't have the extra money to spend. I'm going to be calling my dealership today to set up my appt. Sounds like I won't be driving my Durango for awhile.
  • pstrinicpstrinic Member Posts: 3
    Well, I got my 2011 Durango Crew back after 2 months. Seems to be doing OK, except my reverse camera seems to take several seconds to come on. Not sure if I'm going to complain about it, yet!
  • johnnymac51johnnymac51 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I made a video of the issue that I am having. You can't hear the truck trying to turn over unless you turn up the volume, but you get the idea.

http://youtu.be/kS1gD-jFWxs
  • foster54foster54 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same TIPM problem. This is my 6th jeep and never have had any real problems with any until now. shame on you Chrysler/jeep for not recalling this defect before all these loyal customers had this problem. Yes the vehicle will be repaired, but my relationship with jeep is finished. That is truly a shame. Lee Foster, Oklahoma City, OK
  • thewazzthewazz Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I had this issue creep up 2 weeks ago. Just at 42k miles and the problem started. I went to Dr. Google to help me diagnose the issue and that lead me here. I read the whole thread and started feeling really bummed. I called the dealer and they confirmed most of what was in this thread the worst was the $1200 price tag.

I just could not accept this as the only option...

So earlier in this thread there was a suggestion about a shop in Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.arspeedometer.com that could fix the TIPM.

I called and talked to Allan at AR speedometer and told him about this thread and my issue. He told me that they are just getting started with these repairs and had early success and asked me more about my issue. I explained that it would just crank and crank but would not get any gas to turn over or if it did it would die immediately. He said that his rebuild should fix the issue.

I took my TIPM out of my 2011 JGC, it took about 20 minutes. Disconnected the negative battery cable (Note: Battery is under the passengers side front seat) unbolted the power to the TIPM lifted the unit and unplugged it from the car (I marked all of the connections so I knew how to put them back in the correct spot). That took the most time because I needed to figure out how to get the clips off without breaking them. I only kinda broke one so take your time with this part.

Packed it up and sent it USPS overnight flat rate for $38 on Wednesday of last week. The shop got it Thursday and Allan called me Friday telling me that it was complete and back in the mail priority. I gave him a CC payment of $283. $269 for the fix and $14.00 for return shipping. So total of $318.00.

The part was on my door step tonight when I got home. Took me 10 minutes to put it back in and then the moment of truth. Foot on break, press start button, hold breath and BOOM!!!!! IT STARTED!!!!

I took it for a quick drive around the block and then started it a few more times just to make sure, now I am posting this.

So forget Chrysler and their BS. Forget the $1200 and the 6 week wait call Allan and save yourself $900 and a ton of time and pain.

I really hope this info helps those who find it and maybe Chrysler will pull their heads out!

Bonne Chance!
    Good to hear. Allan has mine as we speak. I've talked to him over the past few weeks as I've been trying to narrow down my issues myself. Decided to go this route instead of through the dealer. We can't afford the jeep to sit for weeks or the cost of repairs. Hopefully this will be a sure fix and get us problem free until Chrysler issues a recall.
  • pepo6pepo6 Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know how your fix go, interested to send mine in for a fix.
    Thanks
    I've had zero problems since my hardwire fix. Drives perfectly
    Got it back today and installed in minutes. After sitting for 6 days.....she fired right up!! No issue what so ever. Now time to drive it around and see if anything pops up.

He told me the TIPM has several relays that are internal and not serviceable unless you take the entire TIPM apart. They are not replaceable like the normal relays you see from opening the cover. The dealer won't even take these apart. The relays inside we changed with better parts and everything cleaned was cleaned up.

The internal relay that controls the power getting to the fuel pump has got to be our, well chryslers problem. Will report back in a few days.
    I'm not sure if this has been posted or not. I found this article while researching the issue I've been having. This tells you what wire to test that controls power to the fuel pump.

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/7nqzx-2011-grand-cherokee-limited-intermittent-st- arting.html
  • dapsworlddapsworld Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had any problems with my truck before the other day. I went to the gas station after driving around running errands. After pumping gas I tried to start the truck and it wouldn't start. There was only a click. All the electrical power works. I have lights, radio, power windows and locks, these all still work. I tried to jump it still nothing, so I removed the battery and had Advance Auto check it they said the battery was fine and giving off a great charge. I also purchased a used starter to replaced the old one with no luck. I had both starters checked by a mechanic and Advanced Auto and they both came back in good working condition. I'm out of ideas although one mechanic mentioned my key may be causing an issue since there is a chip in it and I've noticed that I can remove my key from the ignition while the truck is running. Can anyone help?
  • wendy07wendy07 Member Posts: 4
    So my question is "When does the class action lawsuit start?" 2011 jeep grand Cherokee has needed a TIPM since. August 23, 2013. Said it would have been her yesterday guess what, no part. A jeep customer service is not helping. They are "sorry" and "I understand" and "I know it is not easy to be with out a vehicle" and then all the things they could have done for me for the last three months. REALLY! No one every tried to give me any help when I called. Still agreeing with them about compensating us for ALL our trouble. Nice pretty jeep sitting on the lot collecting dust. I'll I can say is I'm not giving up, I have nothing but time. Obviously they think I have time too. Time too wait for a part!

Hate to say it but really pissed off.
  • wendy07wendy07 Member Posts: 4
    I agree, customer service is a joke. They want to reimburse something's for our troubles. But they want to pick an choose. If they are admitting fault to some then why not all. After had jeep since august 23rd. Part was supposed to be here yesterday. No part! What do we do next. I am not giving up. FYI in my small town of approximately 25,000 people there are 7 jeeps parked on the lot not drivable due to TIPM. We need to do something as a group. Because jeep doesn't want to admit fault.