Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• jomaine123jomaine123 Member Posts: 1
    my gjc is having a problem starting, i replaced the battery, however i have to keep turning my key to a/c multiple times until the battery gauge goes up, then i crank it a few times and most of the time it doesnt start, and if it takes a while i end up having to get jumpered i also have a idle problem, there are times when im on the road and my jeep keeps on jerking until it reaches a certain gear then it bogs until it shifts, can someone please help me with my problems.
  • borninabarn1borninabarn1 Member Posts: 1
    Well a few weeks ago It was dark trying to jump start my jeepI hooked the jumper cables up right on my jeep but wrong on my vehicle I was using to jump start it with.Now jeep wont start.I have no spark,no fuel.checked every fuse 3 times and now on my dash cluster the fuel gauge doesnt move up any more and the volt gauge doesnt move.Everything else works,turns over but thats it.I tryed the key thing to retreive the codes they came on but the sun was in the way i thought they were 38 and 18? I tryed to retrieve them again but they wont come up again?I was told by the dodge dealer i probley fried the computor?Any suggestions techs?The jeep ran perfect before this stupid mistake.Let me know how I can bring the codes back again and how and what else to check please! Thanks!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    i would change the ignition switch as sounds as if you have dirty contacts
  • normalnormnormalnorm Member Posts: 1
    I've had a lot of trouble with the idle solinoid ,cold weather is not this cars friend. Long story short if your battery is weak it makes the computer act up. I'm talking about when you start it up the voltage must remain above a specfic point or the computer goes crazy. Cold weather or bad battery pulls it down. You can relearn the computer by disconnecting the battery but that works because the motor is warm and doesnt need as much voltage. I put a 900 cca battery in and that gives the computer what it needs even last week at -5 and starting power. It hasn't had any idling problems since.
  • loosescrewloosescrew Member Posts: 2
    1990 Jeep Cherokee larado 4x4 4.0 I can see it from underneath but can't get to it to easy and does it just pull off or do you have to unbolt the bracket it's attached too? I tried to push it down further against the flywheel and my jeep stayed running for at least 15 minutes ! before it was cutting out at 5 minutes and stalling then hard to restart! Was told it might be this sensor! But how do i get access to it?loosescrew16@yahoo.com
    please any info would be greatly appreciated
  • willyt1willyt1 Member Posts: 8
    Don't know how. A mech did my work but it turned out not to be the crank sensor, instead, the MAP sensor. That's supposed to be easy to get to and runs about 70 bucks.
    WillyT
  • danilorprdanilorpr Member Posts: 2
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2002 warmed the engine 5 to 6 times a problem of engine fan was replaced. get started with a sound failure in 2 valves or lister. get started at 4 months to spend the 2nd cylinder with water most notable failure. now the oil pressure drops to 0 after the engine warms up and this stopped running pressure is normal. I'd like your opinion.
    held on with bolt hard to get to use lots of extensions to get to it ether 10 mm or 7/16
    hard to get to but can be done (be careful when you put new one on as you dont want to tighten to tight and brake the new one
  • tychbrbltychbrbl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 5.2 Litre V-8. 160,000 miles. Engine starts right up but stalls immediately unless gas pedal is held down for a little bit or as long as 5-10 minutes. Sometimes you can drive up to ten miles and it will die anytime you let off the gas pedal whether going 30mph or 70mph. Sometimes you can go several days without this happening at all. Weather or temperature don't seem to matter. Also idles erratically(slow to fast repeatedly). Can anyone help me narrow this down. A lot of sensors could be at fault although no codes or indicators are ever present. Thanks.
    the first thing i would do is change the thp sensor
  • willyt1willyt1 Member Posts: 8
    Again, not being a mechanic, I have to say that you need to get hooked up to a computer to find out what your sensors are saying. Mine was a $70. sensor (retail) that my mech said he installed at his price $168. It was the MAP sensor. Prior to that I had a parts replacement thing going on that eventually came to more than $500.

Watch out for mechs who don't know what's going on and will replace parts at your expense until they eventually hit on the right one. If you know of a "great" mechanic, and is also honest, make sure he is in your last will and testiment...

WillyT
  • traveller1861traveller1861 Member Posts: 11
    I have read this forum exhaustively for an answer and am unable to come to a definitive solution to my problem.

My Jeep starts fine and will run as normal for almost exactly 1/2 mile, then it shuts down and will not re-start...Wait a few hours and this cycle will repeat itself. It will idle all day long.

Further details...

NO CODES
    Good battery
    Good fuel pressure
    Recent Throttle Position Sensor (and I removed and cleaned it)
    Recent plugs, cap, rotor & wires
    Cleaned and tightened all ground connections

What is the most logical diagnostic progression? :confuse:

Coil?
    Idle Air Control Sensor?
    MAP Sensor?
    Crankshaft Position Sensor?
    Powertrain Control Module?
    Something I haven't thought of...?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated....
    It looks like I need to jump at one of these solutions and see what eventually works. I'll post the answer when found.
  • ironeagle4321ironeagle4321 Member Posts: 5
    i just got this jeep drove it home no prob left the dom light on so battery died went to jump start it all my lights started flashing and it will start for about a sec or 2 then die i unplug the alarm so the lights stoped flashing but still wont start any ideas thank you
    how do you reset the alarm just by unpluging the battery
    what do you have to do to remove the alarm on a 91 cherokee
    about the jeep in the last 3 message it was the alarm when the battery goes dead the alarm comes on and will not let you start the truck in will start and die you have to stick the key in the back door turn it left then right and that solves it all.
  • ftbjgcftbjgc Member Posts: 6
    i have a jeep that was handed down to me.i dont know mutch about jeep so im stumped by all the hoses and junk under the hood anyway ive had it for about a year and when i got it ran like a dream.ive let it sit over the last month or so when i went to start it up it seemed to be starving for fuel.when i take my foot off the the throttle it dies.it doesn't sputter or back fire its like i never started it at all. any ideas? :confuse:
    yea ive read that and seems how the battery died over the months im charging it and tryin that.thanks for your ideas
    i tried the key in the back door no change in the way it acts.there is still no idle what so ever.
    Start with the Throttle Position Sensor. Here is a link to what it looks like.
    link title

You will find it around the top of the engine by the throttle body (air intake).

It is an easy R & R. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air intake from the throttle body...Unplug the wire connector to the sensor...Remove the 2 screws with a T-20 Torx Head Driver...You usually do not need to replace it...Just clean it well with some carburetor cleaner or replace if you wish...reinstall in reverse steps.

Let us know if that helps. If not we can try something else.
    i removed and cleaned the TPS(throttle position sensor).it helped now it idols but at about 200rpm for about 5 minutes or so then cuts out.is there anyway to adjust the throttle?
    sounds as if you should change the tps
    when i took it off it looked pretty clean but i guess with sensors its hard to tell.
    any other i deas i plan on changing that out if i run out of options. is there anyway to adjust the idol on the throttle body itself?
    the tps could look clean but they work as a potentiometer and you cant see that part if it is not getting a good connection inside could cause your problem
    seem to have fixed the proablem with the tps being cleaned.battery is just losing power now but that a quick swap. thanks for all your help and advice.steve :)
  • lynnsjeeplynnsjeep Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1999 jeep single mother trying to get it fixed.I had it to stall on me too many times just out of the blue runs great but stalls and dies then restarts fine???? I had the batt. cleaned,new tcm or module replaced,new o2 sens. both replaced,new fuel filter/regul.,added saefoam to gas full tank ran out added heat to gas ran out,added fuel inject. cleaner to gas ran out,still stalls for no reason but runs great???? no engine light on??had fuel pressure checked fine on the check point between 4. and 5. something so ok there fuel pump runs fine what next should i try im running out of ideas and money lol?..... :cry:
    sounds as if your crank shaft censer is bad
    ty i guess i will try this next
    I will assume that no trouble codes are being thrown nor is the check engine light coming on...

I would start with the throttle position sensor...here is a link to what it looks like...
    link title

You will find it around the top of the engine by the throttle body (air intake).

It is an easy R & R. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air intake from the throttle body...Unplug the wire connector to the sensor...Remove the 2 screws with a T-20 Torx Head Driver...You usually do not need to replace it...Just clean it well with some carburetor cleaner or replace if you wish...reinstall in reverse steps.

Let us know if that helps. If not we can try something else.
    i had the throttle pos. sensor replaced and the air filter too still dies without warning took to shop down the street they are putting crank sensor on and plugs and wires will post if it helps should be done this evening....thank you for your help
  • morley46morley46 Member Posts: 2
    Well done!!! I think i will go crawl under mine and check the trans number! Havent got as far as a new wiring harness but so far has an oxy sensor, new plugs, rotor, dist cap, coil, petrol filter! Next on the list is the crank sensor, any suggestions how to get at it?
    ok i had the garage put new plugs and wires and boyfriend cut the whole exhaust off no clogged cat so now what???? jeep will run idle great but after running a little while just dies but will start right back up go a bit then die again please help??? :cry:
    ok next thing we had done thinking bad fuel pump pump runs when key is on engine starts fine but dies often when driving like out of gas? had fuel press. test done it was good at the rail but when engine is off does not hole fuel pressure could that be the pump? no fuel pressure at checkpoint when not running??? :mad:
    How many miles are on you jeep?
    ok so today will check the pcu and ecu screws today and post back i have spent so much to have this bad luck....160k on the jeep but runs great just dies as if the key is shut off at diff. times and speeds will take all keys but jeep key off ring set too was told mayb be the igniti. switch also? :cry:
    ok so starting with just the jeep key did nothing, still stalled on me so we are down to thinking fuel pump,cam sens,crank sens,coil pack anyone have any other ideas.To refresh what its doing it will star,t idle, run great but when i take it down the road at different times and different speeds it will loose power and shut down as if the key was turned off but will restart right back up 2 people have told me im running out of gas well gee u think lol but i have a almost full tank?please post back if u have any ides of what it may be spent too much on guessing already.... :mad:
    the truck is making a howling sound from the back check all fluids the checked rear brakes arn't rubbing it almost sount sometime if it gets louder the more gas you give it not sure and it starts doing it about 25 mph and fades as u slow to a stop and it not air anyone got any ideas i plan on taking it wheeling in less then a month dont want to blow any thing thank you
  • scout177scout177 Member Posts: 1
    77,000 miles....intermittant problem.....while slowing down will try to cut off at times.....it will idle at 650-700 rpms and may cut off....it always cranks right up...sometimes it will cut off when placed into drive or reverse...diagnosis has no errors...if I keep the rpm's up I can put it in gear and drive as long as the rpms are up...I can drive for days with no issue and then it happens again....I have replaced the tps, check ground straps and clean the negative battery cable because it had corrosion. I have read the postings about the "1999 lynnsjeep" but did not see a conclusion or resolution to that problem message...what is your suggestion for my next step....
  • alby3alby3 Member Posts: 46
    You may want to check these few things below....
    mine was not that bad. but it shut off like the key was turned off.... no studder or misfire.... and it always started right back.
    I had no codes....
    got mine fixed with the very last option #3, I HAD TO REPLACETHE BRAIN (ECU) Got mine off ebay for $185 from ebay vendor. cannot give vendor or they will cancel this post.
    sorry

they programed, and ship for that price..... it has a lifetime warranty. It has to be programed for your vin #, part nbr, and mileage.... but they will tell you all that. It took about 35 minutes to swap the part. just unbold and disconnect the plugs and then plug up the new one. worked like a charm.......

I think yours might be on of the first 2 options.
    and by the way the sensors are very easy to replace, remove a couple of bolts and swap them out. save yourself $90 in labor. I did not mind replacing the ones that were actually good because I figured they were getting close to the end of their life anyway.

grand cherokee stalls or dies out.

1) CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS AT THE ECU (ENGINE CONTROL UNIT) MAYBE CALLED THE PCU (POWERTRAIN CONTROL UNIT) ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL. ON 1998 AND EARLIER THE 3 PLUGS SOMETIMES GET A BAD CONNECTION. IT IS USUALLY THE ONE CLOSEST TO THE FENDER. UNPLUG, SPRAY WITH CLEANER AND REPLUG. YOU MAY EVEN HAVE TO WRAP A ZIP TIE AROUND THE UNIT TO KEEP THE PLUG IN TIGHT.

2) THIS MAY ALSO BE THE PROBLEM, IT IS GOING TO SOUND SCREWY BUT THERE ARE TORX SCREWS ON THE 1998 AND EARLIER ECU. BACK THEM OUT ABOUT A THIRD OF A TURN, THE SCREWS ARE TOO LONG AND ARE CAUSING SOME KIND OF SHORT IN THE CONNECTION OR MAYBE THE GROUND. this sounds hoaky but, maybe it is just actually creating a better ground.

3) FOR 1999 AND LATER

This was my problem.... 87,000 2000 grand cherokee 4.7L
    when i let off the gas it might stall. happens 1 to 4 times a day.
    so far i have:
    replaced the crank shaft sensor - it stopped stalling for 3 days $130
    cleaned the throttle boddy free
    replaced the throttle position sensor $72
    replaced the idle air control sensor $132
    replaced the map manafold airflow sensor $125
    no luck it is still stalling. not sure if i remember the prices
    right on these parts....
    by the way i have done all the work myself. it was about 30 minutes for most parts.
    i just ordered a rebuilt ecu or pcu engine control unit. they program in the vin, mileage and part nbr so you gc will recognize it. $185
    we will see when that comes.....

IT CAME AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM..... BEEN A 3 WEEKS.... SO FAR SO GOOD

alan
    it was the fuel pump 2nd day and running great :shades: :shades:
  • kwdayekwdaye Member Posts: 1
    1993 Grand cherokee act like the fuel filter is clogged, has new one on it as of yesterday. starts up ok but once you get running it spits and sputters, getting worse. can't get it up to over 30 mph. after a few mins of running like crap it take off and runs normal.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • lcunninghamlcunningham Member Posts: 1
    Starting problems when hot ,sounds like a fuel pressure regulator, check the hose going to the regulator and if there is fuel in the hose regulator is bad'
  • laredo06laredo06 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Garand Cherokee Laredo with the 3.7 enginge tends to sputter or lose power when going through a dip or speed bump too fast. It also tends to lose power on certain corners. I'm concerned about this because when entering traffic the car has lost power for a 2 to 3 seconds before regaining power. If anyone has any comments on this I'm listening.
  • celticmoon76celticmoon76 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Hello i have a JGC that has been giving me so many problems, Sometimes the jeep will start but its sluggish and sometimes when it does actually runs it dies,, like when i am driving or sometimes stopped at a light or stop sign. i have replaced the fuel pump and filter all sparkplugs and wires done a oil change and changed filters.. and there are days like today it cranks but wont start just keeps cranking.. what could it be? i was told might be my catalatyc converter?? idk i really love this jeep and hate to scrap it... Please help anyone ... :cry: also i want to add sometimes it acts like it wants to die i pulkl over then it gears right back up idle problems???
    sounds as if has bad crank censer called cps
  • sac2092000sac2092000 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I hope somone has done something similar already. My jeep has idle issuse after it is warm, at stop lights or in traffic there is a misfire. also if i leave it for a day or so it is hard to start can crank on and off for up to 20 min before it starts not sure if the two are related. I have changed plugs wires, cap all that, checked for vac leaks, cleaned the throttle body, will be checking fuel pressure in the morning. also i might point out that if my throttle is peged to the floor once i hit about 4k rpm i start to miss but if i back off the throttle it goes right away. does anyone have any ideas thx my main concern is the rough idle but i would love to fix it all in one go.
  • sac2092000sac2092000 Member Posts: 2
    To anyone that cares I thought I would post my problem fixed after much thought to fuel related issues I decided to ask jeep what they thought after explaining my issues I was told that I should check the coil so at their advice I went to the autoparts store and changed the coil. all fixed it starts up fine and it also does not miss at stop lights or in traffic, just a FYI to thoese having the same issue I did put a ohm meter on my coil and matched it with the brand new one. Apparently the coil can have issues only when warm which would make sense because of the restance. well just a thought for any of you folks reading with the same issue,or close, ya sure it could still be a fuel thing, but you may want to check your 30 dollar coil before you go spend that big cash.
  • alonearmywifealonearmywife Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2006 jeep grand cherokee about 3 weeks ago. I got a full tune up the weekend after I got it. Well, about 4 days ago it started idling real bad when I had it in park and the interior lights flickered for a second. then everything went back to normal. Well i noticed the same strange idling today when I was in park and when I restarted the damn thing. the indicator is showing perform service, but that has already been done. I also brought it to auto zone and both machines show nothing. Any ideas?
  • levy76levy76 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Laredo that has 30,000 on it. A few times a month I try to start my Jeep and it won't start. This usually happens right after I had been driving it for a little. I get a very brief "Transmission over temp" or "Trans over temp" which lasts a second. It won't turn over, no crank, lights are on and so jumping the battery doesn't help either. That being said, I can wait 15 minutes or so and then starts right up. Dealership changed the starter a few months ago and I had no problem for a couple of months after that. Problem came back though...

In addition, pretty certain this is related, but my wife says that the car will just shut itself off when driving at very low speeds and up a hill...

Does anyone know why this is happening? I took it to the Dealer and they can't reproduce the problem.

I've been researching a bunch of forums and this problem seems to happen to otehr people but there is never a definitive answer to how a dealer fixed the issue once and for all.

Any help with tis would be appreciated.

Thanks.