Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• 94grandcher94grandcher Member Posts: 3
    I did get fuel discharge from Schraeder valve when depressed. Seemed pretty continuous - I'm not sure if system was just pushing out pressure or if fuel pump was driving it.
  • thadrashthadrash Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I hope I'm posting in the correct place, so please forgive me if I didn't.

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 with 84,000 miles. We bought it for our daughter's first vehicle and now we are afraid to let her drive it. This is what it is doing: In park it will idle around 6,000rpms. Once you put it in drive and stop at a stop light it drops down to between 3,000 and 4,000rpms (or should that read 600 down to 300-400rpms?). It will randomly jump higher or lower once in a while and has died on me at a stop light twice in the nine months we've owned it. It seems like it is running a bit rough as well. We cleaned the throttle body and it did nothing. We put in all new plugs and cleaned the battery cables. Still running the same. It is not showing any kind of code. Looked for a vacuum leak but couldn't find any, but it could have been missed. When it died on me the first time, it did start right back up and the next day we took it in to a Jeep dealership. All they did was give it a quick test drive and charge us $80 to hook it up to their diagnostic unit only to tell us it was fine. It's not. Could it be a map sensor or TPS sensor?

I have no clue if this has any link to the above issue, but the transmission often shifts hard. We added some Lucas Transmission fix and it seemed to help for a week or so but is now shifting hard at times again. And every once in a while when I get up to about 50mph, I swear it feels like it is going to stall for just a second--a quick sputter and that's it. It doesn't do that everytime I drive it but just once in a while. Can't quite figure out where to continue on with this vehicle and we want to fix it before our daughter takes over driving it. Thanks for any help offered.
  • alby3alby3 Member Posts: 46
    about the stalling. i had this same problem. cleaned the throttle body, changed out a few sensors like the throttle positon sensor, map sensor, but what fixed it was changing the pcu or ecu (power or engine control unit) passenger side fire wall behid the radiator resevoir. got it of ebay for $185. sent them my vin nbr., part, nbr, and mileage which they programed into the new one. very easy to repplace. pull resevoir, unplug 3 terminals and unscrew abotu 4 screws. swap it out and it fired right up and did not stall again. i really think this is your problem, mine stalled at stop signs and would hesitate just a second at high speeds on the expressway like it missed a beat or hesitated for a second.
    had the hard changing of gears as well . there are two sensors on the side of the transmission. an input and output sensor. replaced those and that problem went away too, do not remember the price from the parts store ..... good luck
  • dana70dana70 Member Posts: 7
    I have 1997 GC jeep. In 1 year have replaced many parts, from catalytic converters (2) to crank shaft sensors and all helped but nothing stops the stalling like non ethanol fuel. Walmart/Murphy gas sends my jeep into a tizzy.
    You can try running all the gas out as low as you can and add lucas gas treatment or whatever you prefer and fill it up with non ethanol fuel. It's working for me.
    1 tank sent me into a $1500 parts run (mechanic in the family). Every time I fill up at Walmart or Sam's it starts all over with missing, stalling, dying.
    The best way to get it going when it starts sputtering is to throw it in neutral, pump the gas and start turning it over and let it blow out whatever is throwing it off and continue on.
    Good Luck
    Dana
  • drbe4tdrbe4t Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I have had the same symptoms! However, I've changed the TPS on the my jeep(1999) The gauges don't start. It'll start but after... I'd say 9 or so seconds it'll just die. Do you think it's the PCM?
  • 94grandcher94grandcher Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    At key on, fuel pump runs.

System pressurizes to about 30 lbs.

At key start, car starts and then stalls quickly.

Pressure remains strong.

Car will continue to run if gas added at throttle body.
  • celticmoon76celticmoon76 Member Posts: 3
    Hello once again im having problems with my jeep before it was idle then shutting off or acting funny i replaced all filters and pumps finally 3 months ago i replaced the Brain, now today i went to start it it started just fine.. but when i went to move it again it wouldnt start when i put the key in the ignition my lights come on and the door chimes but when i go to turn it over i get nada not even a click,, the battery is new please help if you can thanks so much
    start with basics... clean terminals and hook up jumber cables..... new batteries go dead too if drained.... weak battery will still ring bells and run the lights
    good luck
    alan
  • stonesquarestonesquare Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks ago my cherokee stalled and wouldn't start. I have replaced the crankshaft position switch and the camshaft position switch. Ran it for a few days, no problem, (~124 miles). Yesterday after running around all afternoon it stalled while pulling into a parking lot. It re-started but when trying to pull out of the parking lot it stalled again. Could move it around the parking lot slowly to position it for the tow truck. No codes, no gauge fluctuation just stalls with no warning. Any ideas on what I should check next?
  • awhymsawhyms Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Jeep like this:

Wife drove to AZ and Jeep wouldn't start. Took it to a mechanic who brought up a bunch of codes (catalytic converter, misfire, etc). Changed plugs & spark plug wires and changed the catalytic converter along with fuel sensors & PCV valves when she got back to California.

Starting stalling 2 weeks later from time to time when she stopped at red lights. Check engine light comes on and codes say several misfires are occurring. One mechanic says it may be the wire harness on top of the engine... Huh????

Now it seems to be stalling every other day...

Been spending lots on this vehicle. Love this Jeep and could use a bit of advice to keep it from the junk pile.

Thanks! :shades:
  • duffy2514duffy2514 Member Posts: 10
    the mechanic probably hit on some issues that could use repair but the crank position sensor is what i would have checked first. you can check the voltage at the connecter. also my ignition coil was coming and going.
  • dana_bdana_b Member Posts: 1
    Try a fuel treatment in your gas tank. It's cheap and a quick check. I've been through the same thing with my jeep. A Lucas fuel treatment does as much good as changing out $500 worth of parts. Jeep should do something about this but they won't. SeaFoam worked great too. I have to put a treatment in my tank every 2 or 3 fill-ups. It keeps me going and is improving the gas mileage. If the mechanics were paying for the parts they wouldn't be so quick to say I"m pretty sure you need a..... well you probably also need a ....... it's a never ending cycle with a jeep and a mechanic.

Thanks,
    Dana
    Thanks, truck was towed in last night... Worth a try!
    Never tried Lucas before... What does it do?
  • nitro850nitro850 Member Posts: 1
    please let me know what the problem was. experiencing same probs.
    about the stalling. i had this same problem. cleaned the throttle body, changed out a few sensors like the throttle positon sensor, map sensor, but what fixed it was changing the pcu or ecu (power or engine control unit) passenger side fire wall behind the radiator resevoir. got it of ebay for $185. sent them my vin nbr., part, nbr, and mileage which they programed into the new one. very easy to repplace. pull resevoir, unplug 3 terminals and unscrew about 4 screws. swap it out and it fired right up and did not stall again. mine stalled at stop signs and would hesitate just a second at high speeds on the expressway like it missed a beat or hesitated for a second.
    ..... good luck
  • lilacloulilaclou Member Posts: 2
    Own/drive a 94 GJC w/V8, 5.7 liter engine, w/120k miles. Fuel pump died. Had it replaced, along with the external fuel filter. Also had the throttle body plate and intake injection system cleaned. Since that work was done (but never before), it sounds as if it is 'missing', esp. at idle. Idle RPM is 1k or under. Not shaking/not loud but does make a rather funky sound (not sure how to describe). Any thoughts on why this work would cause this reaction? The mechanic thinks that the computer sometimes takes some time to adjust or reprogram and that (me) driving it is the best way to help it along. I am concerned and want to be prepared. Advice?
  • lilacloulilaclou Member Posts: 2
    For 94grandcher: I just replaced the Fuel Pump and External Filter in my 94 JGC because of similar symptoms. I was able to diagnose my fuel pump issue by reaching under the fuel tank and gently thumping the bottom center of the tank with a rubber mallet. The Fuel Pump is housed inside the the tank so tapping on the tank helps to unstick the points in the Pump. My Jeep started after this crafty maneuver (and continued to run). Then, got it to my mechanic who replaced the necessary parts. Best wishes.
  • jeeplover99jeeplover99 Member Posts: 1
    WENT TO START IT ONE MORNING (NIGHT BEFORE RUNNING FINE WITH NO PROBLEMS) AND IT ACTED AND SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS GOING TO START BUT IT WOULDN'T FULLY START. EVERYTHING "SOUNDS" LIKE IT IS GOING TO START, JUST WILL NOT TURN OVER.
    TO ME.. HERE IS THE KEY THING *** NONE OF THE GAUGES WILL MOVE WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON *** THE LIGHTS, RADIO, EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS AND SOUNDS FINE. (HAD 3/4 TANK OF GAS WHEN I PARKED IT THE NIGHT BEFORE) I CHECKED THE FUSES AND THEY SEEMED FINE, UNHOOKED THE BATTERY AND HOOKED IT BACK UP AND STILL THE SAMETHING. I AM AT A LOSS. PLEASE HELP. IF I LEFT ANYTHING OUT PLEASE ASK!
    THANKS
  • ornumornum Member Posts: 5
    I would look into replacing the ECM (Engine Control Module). Look on E-bay for one. Locate on the passenger side on the firewall.
  • jennbiller05jennbiller05 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems with my oil pressure gauge pretty much since I got it about 8 months ago. It is normal when I first start my jeep but as soon as I drive a little bit it drops down to nothing & my check gauges light comes on. It has gotten worse recently so I changed the oil. No better. It's not stalling or anything like that the pressure just bothers me & I have no idea what it could be. I also am having problems with it hesitating to pull out once I am stopped. Any ideas or suggestions??
    very likely your oil sending unit... just replaced mine, it would go to nothing or just float around sometimes. on my 2000 gc it was located just above the oil filter. about $42 at autozone....very easy to replace.. just unplug the wire lead and unscrew. replace new one.. but do not overtighten...... count how many turns to take it off... and use that many to put it back on... good luck... alan
  • manontherun1manontherun1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY JEEP BUT THE OTHER DAY THE AC QUIT WORKING AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THEIR IS A GOOD PLACE TO START LOOKING FOR LEAKS.I HAVE GOT A CAN OF SUVA LEAK DETECTOR TO PUT IN SYSTEM.I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS MODEL YEAR IS NOTED FOR HAVING LEAKS UNDER DASH.IS THIS SO? THANK YOU.
  • savahna20savahna20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that the tranny went out on. I replaced the transmisson, put the transmission fluid in it and went to fire it up for a test drive. Backed out of the drive way and didnt make it 25 feet before it stalled out. Thought it was a battery issue so i went and got a new battery, installed it and started it up again. It now makes a slight ticking noise and than it acts like its gonna stall and then picked back up, does this about 6-10 times and then stalls out all together. What do I do. I am past the breaking point with this vehicle. I have been without it for 4 months, decided to fix it myself to save myself the money and it ended up costing me more than it would have cost to have the shop change it. HELP before I get a shotgun and start taking aim!
  • ize2004ize2004 Member Posts: 1
    I just had to same problem on July 3rd. Driving down on a main street and as soon as I stopped, died. Turned it on. Nothing. Did it again. Still nothing. Police showed up, said 'whats going on?' I said 'when you find out, let me know". Well, the problem that we found was that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The teeth of the chain were so worn out, it cound't do its job telling the engine to start up. They are very inexpensive. My quote @ Autozone was for $46 and some change. The problem is the labor. That will cost you total with labor $800+. Just they have to take apart so many things that are in the way just to get to the belt. Yikes. This may or may not be a problem your having, but its best to check it out. Unfortunatly we only had the Jeep for four months and already putting just about the same amount we put down for a down payment. Hope this helps or leads you in the right direction.
  • kveliekvelie Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GC limited 4.7 is driving me crazy. The engine light came on so I had it checked and it came back the iac (idle air control) was bad. Thats when it started idling high, about 1000-1200 rpms most of the time. I've replaced the iac twice. I've replaced the tps. We've checked for vaccum leaks, we've cleaned the throttle body and it still idles as high as 1700 rpms and I'm just about at my wits end. Btw, most of the work has been done by an ASE certified mechanic and I think he's about at his wits end too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • frankief88frankief88 Member Posts: 1
    i was taking my sister to work when i heard a back fire, then looked at my guages on my rpms and mph. the mph were hoping up and down while i kept steping on the gas trying to keep the car alive. but it kept chocking and backfireing. i noticed that when my car cools off the car starts but after a while it will just turn off.

please tell me do you think its the fuel pump or electrical?
  • trthomas1111trthomas1111 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997...very same issues. It started idling at above 1500 rpm, with normal idle speed at about 800. We got a code to replace the TPS so we did that. It ran for half a day and the rpm started swinging while driving it. After a few more days, the check engine light came on. We got an Idle Air Control Valve code so we replaced it. It ran ok for a few hours, then the rpm starting swinging again. There are no codes now, just a constant swinging of the rpms. When I am driving it and the rpm swings, the transmission shifts hard, both high and low. It is as if the car doesn't know how fast it is going and the fuel/air metering is all out of whack. We have had other electrical problems in the past year. Could the ECM have lost its mind? Can the ECM be reprogrammed as a check on the system? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've carried it to 2 certified mechanic shops and they are both completely stumped as to what to do next.
  • bhunleybhunley Member Posts: 3
    Get your crank shaft sensor replaced. I had these same issues, i could drive it for a little while and as soon as it warmed up it started shutting off on me. It got to the point where it wouldnt even start until 30 mins later when it started to cool down. After 5 trips to the mechanic and 2 tows we finally got it. Hope this helps everyone
  • There are 4 Oxygen Sensors on the 4.7. Replace themand ur idle probs will go away. A
  • uzd2byoungeruzd2byounger Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi: I have owned a 98 Sport Cherokee since 94. Two oxygen sensors replaced along with new starter this year. The last couple of days, Jeep is possessed. One evening it would not start. I just kept hearing a "click,click,click". Wouldn't start. Husband put battery charger on it overnight. Next morn it started fine. That evening, I turned the ignition key,. started right up but died as soon as I hit the brake to put it in reverse. Repeated process three times. Hubby hopped in and it started right up. He had the auto part employee test the battery which has been in the Jeep since we bought it. Battery checked out fine according to employee but he suggested hubby bring it back when "engine " light comes on. Engine light doesn't come on. Sooooooooooo.....this morn I get in it and it almost wants to resist starting but does start. Off I go..............Jeep runs fine. Always has. Within the past 5 hours, I have gone into the garage and the Jeep starts up fine. Does anyone know what is going on? What confuses me is, if the battery had gone dead, as he thought the first time it wouldn't start, wouldn't I have had to reset the clock inside? Clock was fine. I need an experienced person to help or someone who could recommend a good exorcist. Thanks, Mary
  • swelmsswelms Member Posts: 1
    Ok, see if someone can figure this out because everyone I know is stumped. I've asked a few mechanics and parts store personal and no one knows.
    First I need to explain the problem. After driving for so long, say 25-30 miles, it starts to act up as if it was running out of fuel. Backfiring, cutting out, loss of horse power ect... It does it whether you try giving it a little gas or the whole petal. But it only does it after being driven for awhile and its hot outside. When the temperature outside cools off and during the winter it doesn't act up at all. When it's not acting up it runs great and no problems. Sometimes I can put it in neutral and turn key off and back on and it fixes for a short time. Other times I have to actually pull over and turn the jeep off and let it sit for approx 10 mins and it's back to normal again for a short time. It's not showing any warning lights inside of any kind. There are no vacuum leaks that have been found after several times looking and listening. My theory is something is getting too hot I just can't figure out what. If someone could please help me I would for ever be grateful.

This is a list of things I have tried so far:
    Fuel pump
    Fuel filter
    Plugs
    Plug wires
    Cap
    Roter
    Pick up coil
    Coil
    Fuel pump relay
    Crank shaft position sensor
    The air filter is new as well and gets regular oil changes.
    Also I have tried cleaning intake and has had prob. 6-8 bottles of either Seafoam or Lucas fuel treatment since problem began.
  • leosmith0414leosmith0414 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Recently I have been having a big problem with my jeep. Everynow and then when im driving I lose all power and I pull over and sometimes it cranks back on and sometimes i have to wait a little bit. Well, the check engine light came on and it said it was an emissions evap control leak large and small, we found a leak by the air cleaner and got that taken care of. However, it still is doing that. Our one buddy whose a mechanic said that back by the gas tank it sounds like a leak, the leak sounds like what a propane tank leak would sound like. He said it is not supposed to make that sound...Any ideas what it could be? The hoses are all connected...
  • leosmith0414leosmith0414 Member Posts: 2
    My trobles sound like swelms! Help, Please!!
  • joemizerjoemizer Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Editon that does the same thing. Like you, we have replaced almost everything under the hood. Today we replaced the fuel pump and then test drove it and barely made it home because it is still doing the same thing. If you find the problem please let me know it will help a lot.
  • scoutyjones2scoutyjones2 Member Posts: 6
    I will tell you that I am facing the same frustration. Bought it used for my daughter to use as it has 170K miles. Instantly changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter, new exhaust and head gasket ($1K at a shop). Car ran fine for about 1 week then I replaced the following due to a missing (bucking, loss of power)issue when rolling down the highway:
    new wires, plugs, dist. cap, rotor, ignition coil ($100 total, I did the work)
    Still missed.
    Took it to an independent shop, they pulled a code for Crankshaft positioning sensor. Replaced and cost me $340!
    Within 2 days, car just dies/stall/shutsdown. Sometimes restarts right away, sometimes it doesn't. I then replaced the idle air control valve, which was heavily carbonized...still did the same thing. I replaced the TPS, still does the same thing. Replaced the MAP sensor, still does the same thng but seems to be getting worse as I can barely go a tenth of a mile before it just dies. Another $130 spent on those parts.
    My last recourse is to replace the PCM for about $200. After that i guess I go back to a shop because I can't do anymore on my own and will have exhausted all options.

I will let you know if this works once I get the part in the next few days and put it in...all the work I did was really quite simple but it adds up...and I feel no closer to resolution.

Best of luck to you all and hopefully one of us finds a magic bullet.
  • duffy2514duffy2514 Member Posts: 10
    hi, and good luck with your jeep. i have been through every issue and replaced every part you guy's mention. my continuing issue is the ignition coil. it will die just like turning the key off. i have come to the point that i carry a spark tester (about 10.00 at autozone ) when this happen's i raise the hood and check the spark coming from the coil to the distributer and wala it will start with the tester on it. i have gone through 5 count them five ignition coil's in 18 month's. i suggest you buy a ignition coil from a part's house and get the one with a lifetime warrenty as i have got 4 free from my local part's house and the coil will go a couple of month's with no issue's and all of a sudden another coil is needed. i'm not sure this is your problem or not however i do know the crank position sensor will not tolirate any oil not even a film. alway's remember when testing the spark at the coil a yellow spark is the same as no spark. it has to be blue. good luck with your jeep. i drive a 1993 grand cherokee with the 5.2 V-8 and get 22 mpg. i love the jeep even with the annoying electrical issues.
  • joemizerjoemizer Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Okay, we have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 and we had the same problems. After spending a lot of money on sensors, fuel pump and many other things we decied to start it up and wiggle some wires around too see if it could be a wiring problem. We found a wire in a wireharness that runs along the engine by the fuel injectors. At the end of the bar wires coming out there is a wire that goes to oxygen sensor and it was pinched. After fixing the wire and it has not given us any problems
  • rattlehoundrattlehound Member Posts: 1
    your problem sounds like mine to a t.any luck with the pcm? thanks
  • scoutyjones2scoutyjones2 Member Posts: 6
    still haven't purchased a PCM to swap. I will update once I do in the next few days...be it good or bad.
  • tmypresentstmypresents Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my 1998 JGC limited 5.2 v8 i chaged the battery, crank sensor, map sensor ignition cil and ECM. still no luck
  • popzsoflypopzsofly Member Posts: 2
    I got a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L and been having issues with low idle and stalling when going from reverse to drive or just taking off from sitting still. I already replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and MAP sensor. Also I backed the 2 hex screws off 1/4 on the PCM computer, still no luck. I know my fuel pump is getting weak and needs replacing but not sure if thats the problem?
  • ritch3392ritch3392 Member Posts: 1
    i am having this same problem. my 2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 v6 i turn it over and it starts. i shut it off and turn it over it starts back up. if i drive somewhere and shut it off it wont start. but if i roll it while i have the ignition turned over then it starts fine. there is no lag in the starter one it cranks and it runs and idles fine. what did you do to fix it or have any ideas?
  • tng1826tng1826 Member Posts: 1
    The problem appears to be the crankshaft position sensor. Mine was replaced and it went way. I believes there is a recall on the sensor as well.

Below are additional information that was posted by someone in he past. Hope that it help.

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3v16e-2002-jeep-grand-cherokee-wit-p0320-truck-st- arts.html
  • popzsoflypopzsofly Member Posts: 2
    I just had my fuel pump replaced today, cranks up good now but still stalls when in gear sitting still or shifting into gear. Also im getting a delayed shift in 1st gear? Below is what all i've done so far.

- New fuel pump & strainers
    - New (Throttle position sensor)
    - New MAP sensor
    - Cleaned IACV (Idle air control valve)
    - Backed both hex screws about 1/4 off from ECM computer
  • dana70dana70 Member Posts: 7
    I sold my 2001 Jeep and I'm glad I did. But before I did I figured out the problem. It's in the computer. There is a short. There are 2 screws that hold the computer to the base thingy. Remove the screws, put a washer on each screw and screw it back in. I think it was a 10mm, it was thin. It keeps the screws from grounding out the computer. Then wrap the computer in plastic 20" zip ties and tighten it down. Once I did this it stopped the crazy dying with no real rhyme or reason. You can go to Dyingjeep.com for a detailed write up on how to do it but it cost $20. It was the best $20 I spent on that Jeep.

Thanks,
    Dana
  • effecteffect Member Posts: 1
    Car stops after 2 seconds. Pump is ok, fuses ok, relays ok....any ideas as to what may be the issue? I do see that the security light (yelow light with a key) comes on just as the car stops.
    Lucian
  • jbrunjbrun Member Posts: 1
    purchased my 2006 Jeep Cherokee Laredo a month ago with 62k miles on it. Monday it started stalling out completely once when I came to a stop at a stop sign and twice now just shortly after going from reverse to drive. Spent 5 hours at the dealership and they could'nt re-create the problem so no answers from them and of course it happened again today. I commute 30 miles each way to work and would like to feel safe. Anyone else have this problem?? Seems to start back up ok but I'm worried that won't last.

Thanks!
  • steve_kinsellasteve_kinsella Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Grand Cherokee doing the same thing ive replaced plugs, wire, cap, rotor, new pcm, fuel pump, cps (crank position sensor), cam position sensor, i replaced all that to find out my distributor it self is bad the magnets on it are worn out allowing oil to interrupt the spark killing try replacing it and i hope that solves your problem.
  • mkedigomkedigo Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to share with some of you what I've found over the last year with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. We were having a problem with it bucking and jerking a lot - but there wasn't any pattern, sometimes it would do it, and sometimes it didn't. It wouldn't throw a code or set off any idiot lights, so my mechanic and I were going crazy trying to figure out what it was. We replaced one of the oxygen sensors, and it stopped for a month, then started again. We finally replaced the other one, and it stopped for good. I hope this helps someone - replace BOTH oxygen sensors at the same time!!!

Also, my dashboard has a habit of going dead and taking my windows with it. (Which sucks when it starts to rain!) When I shut the engine off, all the lights come on and stay on for a few seconds. Then after it sits, dashboard comes back on, but the airbag light stays on for a couple of starts, then it acts normal again for a while. My mechanic says that a lot of Jeeps for a lot of years have had this problem from a wiring harness that is bad. Does anyone know if that's true? He says it costs a fortune to fix, so as long as it's still intermittent, I'll live with it. My Jeep has 104,000 miles on it, and I want to get a few years out of it. I don't drive far, but they are frequent trips.