Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• potatoeman2011potatoeman2011 Member Posts: 12
    try this crazy solution i have researched they say it is the anti-theft system screwing it up go and take your key in each lock and lock and unlock three to four times it resets the system and it has worked. sounds crazy but try it and let me know . thinking of buying a jeep with same problem.
    try resetting the anti-theft system for a no-start lock and unlock each door and back hatch 2 or 3 times then try to start it.
    sounds crazy anti-theft is screwing up reset by locking and unlocking each door and rear latch 3 to 4 times to reset system.
    try reset anti-theft system by locking and unlocking each door and rear hatch lock3 to 4 times and see if the gauges work.
    try resetting the ant-theft system by locking and unlocking every lock with your key 3 to 4 times to reset it.
    reset anti-theft system unlock each door and the hatch3 to 4 times with the key then try to start it.
    Ive heard that it could be your anti-theft system for no-starts try the key in the drivers door and lock and unlock it 2 or 3 times and then try to start it.

If this works write back here. Because I may purchase a non starting jeep
    try reseting anti-theft system by locking and unlocking driver door with key 3 or 4 times to reset the system.
    try resetting anti-theft system by locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key 3 or 4 times.
    I think it may be your anti-theft system thinking someone was trying to steal it . Take key and lock and unlock drivers door to reset system.
  • alby3alby3 Member Posts: 46
    had the problem of guages going wild below 50 degrees..... turned out to be the security key module and the computer..... car would stall periodically but always restarted.......2000 grand cherokee 4.7l
  • heideemalheideemal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 grand cherokee. Here recently it has begun to drop rpms while sitting at a stop light and then will go back up to normal, acting like it wants to die. Also when I am driving, sometimes it acts like it isn't getting any gas. I'll push on the gas pedal, it will sputter and act like it isn't getting any gas then if I stomp on the gas, it will go. Also when on the freeway in cruise control, it acts like it isn't getting gas but then after a couple of seconds, will pick back up and go. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter. I have no idea where to start at figuring out what the issue is and if I have to take it to the dealership, I would like to have some indication as to what the problem may be before they change everything and charge me a lot of money.
  • elmuychingon86elmuychingon86 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my jeep and im trying to fix mine to and can't figure it out so please if you find out the problem, please let me know thank you
  • rattlehound1rattlehound1 Member Posts: 2
    mine was the crankshaft pos. sentser
  • jeep96cherokeejeep96cherokee Member Posts: 1
    so i just boght a 1996 jeep grand cherokee straight 6 4.0L, it starts fine but about 15-20 minutes into me driving it, it shuts off, i try to start it it cranks but wont start, and it only seems to do it when i stop, i let it sit for a couple minutes and it starts fine, but then a couple miutes later it shts off again, its not showing any check engine lights or anything. i just change the radio in it and thats when i started haveing problems, i doubt the radio is the problem, it seems like just coinsondence, also the belt is kind of squeaking when i start it, and my brake pedal is raise more at some points more then others. ive read alot about it being the ECM and i dont want to replace it and find out that it wasnt the problem, if any one has had the same problem could you please tell me how to fix it, im not the greatest when it comes to cars.

• finisherfinisher Member Posts: 6
    Could be a few things:

Crankshaft Position Sensor
    Intermittent Fuel Pump
    Intermittent Fuel Pump Relay
    Intermittent ASD Relay

Good Luck
  • dodge2012dodge2012 Member Posts: 1
    it is the ecu becas my 97 grand was doing the stalling bite then finally it stalled and wont fire back up becas my break pedle does the same thing and belt squeking can be a few differnt things but any ways it is the ecu
  • smp1979smp1979 Member Posts: 1
    Most definitely try the Crank sensor. What you have described is exactly what my 96 did. I replaced the sensor and it has been fine since. Besides its a lot cheaper than a ECM.
  • rattlehound1rattlehound1 Member Posts: 2
    yes i would do the crank senor.that is what was wrong with mine and it was doing the same thing
  • thecez01thecez01 Member Posts: 4
    So i 96 jgc and it just die on me in the middle of the street and it wont start at all. it cranks but no start. i have no spark to the spark plugs and none of my gauges are reading. ive tried used ecms and same thing happens.

can anybody help with any suggestions

thanks
  • marlermarler Member Posts: 4
    i think your sounds more like what mine did and i say did i fix it it was pumping fuel but the pressure was not up quit rite it is needing hold in psi and after it runs for a min but mine was fuel pump tou can test very easy look up correct psi on line check it if that ont get it it can be cumputer hook ups
  • traviscole84traviscole84 Member Posts: 3
    Hey. My jeep doesnt have a anti theft system. Not that I know of. I used the key everyday to open the driver door and start it before the issues. I dont know what else to do.
  • cherokeegal3cherokeegal3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my first post here! Yesterday as I was filling up the tank with gas, I got in the 96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I have, turned on the ignition to check the fuel gauge as it was filling up and heard a strange whirring noise under the hood. It freaked me out! I turned off the ignition, opened the hood and a guy at the gas station said it was the A/C condensor motor recharging. Does that make sense?? With the key off?? I finished filling up the tank. Drove a few miles to my house, and the noise was gone. It hasn't come on since. I am not used to newer vehicles. Everything I have owned was from the 50's! Those cars never made strange noises like the newer ones do! Any ideas what this might have been? It was coming from the driver's side and sounded like it was coming from the condensor. I also have a flickering dash/radio/overhead console problem which is very annoying!! If I push under the dash or on the light switch, the lights are brighter and don't flicker. Thanks for any help! I just bought this thing a month ago to replace my 56' Mercury station wagon and it's just not the same!
  • sweet_pea12sweet_pea12 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep has this HUGE Idle problem. I replaced the Idle Control valve but still acts up. Its driving me insane! I can't even let her warm up while I'm cleaning her off without her acting up.
    I start her up (happened in all seasons) goes up to 1000 rpms. Thinking "normal" since she just started up but if it goes longer than 10-15 mins. That's just odd. Then drops down to 600 rpms, now that's normal. Then Idle just acts up. Goes from 600 down to 400 rpms then up to 1000 rpms and jumps down to 400. She stalled on me twice and she only does that when she's sitting still. I think its the computer but I'm not positive and I don't know what else it could be.
  • finjeepfinjeep Member Posts: 2
    Purchased an 01 GC, has a inline 6, 4.0.
    having problems with it running, ill turn on but stall 3-5 secs later, before i go changing all the sensors id like to know where i should start, i thought it might be electrical so ive tried the backing off the screws/cleaning connecters to the comp, i cleaned the IAC vavle. also oil pressure rising once its running with the help of pumping the gas, no codes on odmeter/code reader/
    Cutting the air off to the intake seems to help it run smooth??
    id prefer to upload a vid to show exactly issues accuring, if someone know a bit about these issues id love to know where to start, BEFORE i go on a spending spree on sensors/filters/fuel pump/ and a comp!
  • finjeepfinjeep Member Posts: 2
    I start up my 01 jeep grand cherokee, gas lights off and gas in the tank, runs roughly then suddenly, after a bit like a minute gas light pops on and dings and gas gauge falls to empty and shuts the jeep off.

inline 6/4.0
  • truecountry10truecountry10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2000 jgcl 4x4 with a 4.0l head gasget, I changed out the gasget put everything back together and started it and it ran but ran at 4000 rpms. we pu a new intake gasget on and a different intake. a different problem occured, it started and idled fine but then after about a minute of running the rpms started to get higher until it hit about 3500 rpms we shut it off. checked all connections, all the vacume hoses and injector wires, also the tps, map, iac, crank sensor every thing seems connected. So we started it again now it wont start fuel injector fuse keeps blowing. Any help?
  • joshuasjeepsjoshuasjeeps Member Posts: 1
    if it stalls after 2 to 3 sec after start its the alarm smart key try reseting remove 1 screw from bottom of colom and you will see a black box that reads the key un plug it and turn the key on the acc then dissconect neg batt what 5 min put colom back together conect batt and you should be all set
  • jeepinsajeepinsa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder. For about the last two weeks it has been hard to start about half the time and stalls probably half the time it starts. I replaced the fuel filter. Dealer said it was the crank position sensor and replaced that. It has pretty new (15K miles) plugs and wires. I removed the battery, cleaned + and - connections and cleaned the chassis ground next to the battery. Pretty maddening not to be certain it will start when I need it. Any ideas? Dealer mentioned the PCM was a possible cause - it is $226 at O'Reilly so I am hoping there are other ideas out there.
  • beckett2006cjbeckett2006cj Member Posts: 1
    We seem to be having the same problem with our 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Did you ever figure yours out? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • offroadkingoffroadking Member Posts: 1
    My '02 cherokee limited with the 4.7v8 started up with the stalling recently. I will come to a stoplight or stop sign, whatever requires stopping and the idle drops way low sometimes it will stall out, and other times it will fight its way back up to normal. However the stalling is becoming more frequent now, i was just curious if you had found out what was the problem, because i'm quite tired of sticking money into things that it 'could' be as all the mechanics say. your help would be greatly appreciated!
  • aquallaaqualla Member Posts: 1
    I have had intermittent problems with my Grand Cherokee. Initially, it wouldn't start so, we took it to be diagnosed and the reader said, "No link". Replaced computer and got moving. Few days ago, jeep stalled and won't start again. Reader says, "No link" replaced o2 sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ignition coil... still nothing. Can't believe the computer which has less then 100 miles on it has gone bad again. Any ideas?? Please help.
  • halfrack1halfrack1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 07 Jeep grand cherokee overland 6 months ago has a v8 Hemi and it stalls while driving for no apparent reason. No engine lights come on. Once in park it will start and drive fine. I have had it in the dealers 8 times since I purchased it and no codes have appeared so alls they have done is replace the automatic shut off relay. I thought it was fixed and then it stalled on me yesterday... Very frustrating because I was in the middle of an intersection and almost got T-boned. Anyone have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • kramer842kramer842 Member Posts: 5
    I spent $230 ($45 overnight shipping) and got a new PCM for my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ). My mechanic installed it in 30 mins with a full scan and diagnostics to make sure it was running properly. It's been 3 months and the car runs great. Even gained a few miles in gas mileage. I bought from Auto Computer Resources: (http://store.allcomputerresources.com/jeep.html) and they offer lifetime warranties on their rebuilt/remanufactured PCMs when you send in the old PCM. Buy on eBay and save another $20.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you include, make, model, year, odometer reading, vin number, old PCM model number and description of your problem. They'll custom program the new PCM to all of the above--as well as confirm whether you need a new PCM based on your problem. Be as detailed as possible with info from your mechanic. They're in a tough position because they can only send you a good PCM but if that's not really your problem, then a new PCM won't help. I thought this was pretty cool of them. I guess they've had their fair share of customer whose problems weren't PCM related.

WARNING: Don't confuse ACR with Auto Computer Exchange (http://autocomputerexchange.net/). These guys get a lot of returns and only offer 1 year warranty. And I found one too many complaints about them.

Lastly, I read on a few of the forums that Mopar does NOT offer new PCMs for older Jeeps. They actually buy rebuilds from these 3rd party companies, diagnose, package up and ship them off to Jeep certified repair shops and service shops who then charge an arm and leg to program and install. Another interesting tidbit, a lot of the these companies are in the south eastern states (FL, LA, TX). Due to hurricane katrina and other natural disasters hundreds of thousands of cars were trashed--including their PCMs. Hope this helps.
  • rgjrtxf250rgjrtxf250 Member Posts: 1
    I know its been awhile since you last posted on this matter. Did the replacing of the camshaft sensor help your problem of your Jeep? I am having the same problem with the '99 jeep GCL. I have had the crankshaft sensor replaced but still does "the stalling while driving" thing. Please, let me know if this help and where was the camshaft sensor located?
  • 96jeepgcl96jeepgcl Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    I have owned a jeep GCL for @7 years. I have had few problems with it and love it. When it started to act up, it surprised me what was going on becaue it was always verry dependable.
    About 4-5 years ago I had the first problem.
    When i started the jeep and put it in to gear and started to go it would die. it acted like i turned off the key, just died. Then it got hard to even start. That problem was the crank timing sensor. It is located at 10:00 position on bell housing (From under the vechile) . To get to it takes long arms and small hands. Oh and a lot of extenions and knuckle on a ratchet. Replaced with a new one from parts store for @ $70.00.
    Then for the last few months the big one happened.
    Ill try to explain in as much detail as i can.
    My girl friend usally drives the jeep, so some times the problems are not always the easyest to figure out when she has no mechanical back ground at all.
    She kept telling me that the jeep woul die on her and couln't explain what happened when it did. I would show up and it would run fine. Then about a week a go i was driving and it happened to me.
    I was driving down the road at 45mph and it lost power, it was still running, but if ya gave gas nothing. It had dropped about 1000rpm and stayed there for a few seconds (@ 5-6 seconds) then it was fine for about 30 seconds, then again lost 1000 rpm and it back fireded and started going again. I drove about 2 mile down the road then it died at the stop light. It started back up and ran with the occational dieing along the way. No check engine light or any thing. Then about 2 days ago it died when my girl friend was making a turn and she almost hit the car that was going to turn on to the road she came off of because she lost power steering.
    At this point I really had to do something about it. So i was reading the posts here and everyone had the symptoms and no answers.
    I found a youtube vidieo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY62r-rtvls). Now im not really one to do this but i figured that since I had done all the trouble shooting in the hanes manual, and noticed that when it died and would not start i could still smell fuel, that the problem was electrical. Now mine did not have the loose connections just pulling it apart and puting it back together, The problem has seemed to dissapeared.
    I would like to note that if you do deside to pull the pcm apart, that what you are prying on is a pc board so be carefull not to break it. And you have to pull the jell apart, when you are prying on it so it is kinda hard to get apart.
    I will post again in a week and let you know if i have any other problems with it.
    Take care and good luck with your trouble shooting!
    The cam shaft sensor on my 96 is under the secondary pickup in the distribitor.
  • basicjeepsterbasicjeepster Member Posts: 1
    i read on another forum, and did this fix for my 96 grand cherokee 4.0. jeep would stall randomly. the pcm for the jeep is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side firewall, behind the coolant bottle. there should be 3 harnesses going into it. while the jeep is running, wiggle those wires. if it stalls, then remove the collant bottle, 3- 10mm nuts. disconnect the negative battery cable. remove the 3 harnesses. you'll see 2 small screws there. they are torx head #15. replace these 1/2" screws with 1/4" #6 sheet metal screw. i used 3/8" with a washer (i couldnt find 1/4"). replace everything in reverse. start the jeep and try to wiggle the harnesses while it's running again., it shouldnt stall. mine didnt and has been good since i did this.
  • danny80danny80 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I really don't want do do smart alec, but I bought a scan tool recently and it was a very useful bargain. It not only shows the troublecodes (you didn't have any), it shows you also the operation and sensor data. What's wery important, it can also show the oxygen sensor condition (current amplitude), so you can find out, if it's to be replaced (worn out) ot not.
    I have the same problem with the instrument cluster light, I removed the dimmer switch module from the dashboard and cleaned the pod contacts. No problems anymore.
    I hope it will help you.
  • rickromerorickromero Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 grand cherokee with a 4.0. Just this week, with temps in the 20s, it did not start with just a turn of the key. It took several seconds of cranking and pumping the gas pedal to start. Once started I released the pedal and the jeep died... there was nothing. I started it again and this time kept the accelerator pressed down to keep the rpms above a grand. The vehicle will stay running at that point. If i release the accelerator it dies again. Only keeping the rpms above 1k will keep it running. When the engine warms up things start to improve. As it gets warmer it will start to idle in its own for a few min, but rough, and then finally when the engine is warm the engine will start right up with no resistance and the idle will be smooth and the jeep will drive fine. It is now in the 40s and am still having the same problem with the jeep, so its not extreme cold only, just cold. I have read lots of post and it seems like there are 50 things this could be. I'm guessing IAC and coolant temp sensor may be the culprits but don't want to dump tons of money into it if it is maybe something else. I know I am going to have to probable replace a few things before the problem is pinpointed, but just would like to know the best sequence to do try repairs. Thank you for any help. I can provide any more information about this problem that is needed to help get this fixed.
  • geostudgeostud Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 limited which was doing the same thing. Nothing like getting stranded in Death Valley... Anyway, as you, I replaced the coil umpteen times a year, for about two years. I finally found a mechanic who found the problem was the crankshaft sensor. I recommend that if you replace this, don't go aftermarket; they don't work too well. I hope this solves your problem(s).
  • troubleshoot7troubleshoot7 Member Posts: 1
    The key to confirming the source of the problem of no start when cold is to carefully observe whether the fuel pump starts immediately when turning the key to ignition position(Not cranking). In a normal situation, the fuel pump should run for at least 3 seconds when key is set to ignition. This way, by the time your engine cranks, fuel is present. In a very quiet environment, turn the key to ignition and carefully listen for the fuel pump to operate. You should hear it right away. If you leave the key in ignition and notice it takes anywhere from 3-10 seconds for the fuel pump to activate, the problem is within the PCM(Powertrain Control Module). There is acually a very inexpensive solution to repairing it yourself as well instead of buying refurbished for $200.00. Additional symptoms related to this issue are random engine stalls that start right up, and transmission slip in cold weather
  • dixiechicdanadixiechicdana Member Posts: 1
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. About a month ago, I was driving and the gauge lights all came on, lights got dim, meter with battery symbol went to 9 and it died. Got out tightened negative cable and jumped it. It ran a month with battery gauge at 14. 3 nights ago same thing. Moved cables and jumped it, and made it home. got in last night, and battery meter gauge was at about 12, went about a mile and it was draining fast...went to 9. tried to jump, wouldn't start. today put new battery cable ends on, jumped it. It went to 14 on gauge, then 12, back to 14. Took to shop, he put it on machine. His machine read 12 and he said it was alternator. When he backed it out of the shop, mechanic was surprised it went back to 14 at the gauge. He wants us to have alternator rebuilt Monday and bring it to him to install. I can't afford to fix what may not be the issue. Does this sound like the problem to you????
  • countryboy88countryboy88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 jeep and am having a problem with it aint shure what it is it had set in the shop for about 3 years bring it to the house it turns over very well but wont even try to start ive put gas in it and even tried starting fluid and it wont even try to start but turns over very well it acts like it aint getting any fire would anyone know what my problem could be?
  • duffy2514duffy2514 Member Posts: 10
    Check the fire from the ignition coil. you can buy a spark tester for about 10 buck's at your local part's house. remember a yellow spark is the same as no spark on these jeep's. the spark must be blue . I have recurring issue's with mine only in hot weather. i purchased a coil with a unlimited lifetime warrenty. it cost a little more but they have replaced it 5 time's free.
    I purchased a extra coil cause every time it would quit running i would have to call a tow truck. a 10 mm socket is all that's required to change it then i go trade the bad one for another new one. i'm not sure what cause's it unless it's the heat breaking it down. good luck. steve
  • lairbearlairbear Member Posts: 2
    :( My friends 94 JGC 4.0L (170,000 Miles) will start up fine but then after temperature stablizes, while driving around town making several stops at various places within a 30 min time frame, she starts up the engine, it idles rough, kind of like it has a mis in several cylinders then will idle just fine after about one minute later. Kind of like smoothes out.
    I can hear tapping noises coming from within the valve cover even when it is cold as well as hot and I asked her about this she said this has been going on since she bought the truck used.
    The following sensors have been checked.
    TPS, IAC, MAP, Intake temp sensor, OX sensor, Fuel rail pressure regulator, water temp sensor, new plugs...a light brown color on plugs...spark plug wires, rotor and cap.
    The item replaced was the fuel rail pressure regulator which would allow the pressure to go up to 40 psi and not drop back down to 32-34 psi. After replacement, the fuel pressure stablizes around 34 psi with vacuum variations...No more 40 psi.
    I did check the vacuum and during smooth idle, no needle fluctuations @ 14 inches but when rough idle lots of fluctuations until the engine smooths out. I'm thinking when engine starts up again, possible lack of oil within the lifters or lifter bleed off until oil pressure fills lifters? Oil is thinner.
    I have not had the valve cover off as of yet and I hope the rockers have had oil during this period of time whereas if not , then there could be more possible problems.
    I'm thinking about adding Gum Out oil treatment to hopefully free up any defective lifters.
    Any ideas folks?
  • ornumornum Member Posts: 5
    Lairbear,

I have the same symptoms with my '98 JGC Limited 5.2 134K.

My mechanic suspects the CPS, (crank position sensor)

And many moons ago on my old '87 JGC 4.0L same thing. Your in luck, the CPS on the 4.0 is a lot easier to get to than on my 5.2. On yours it is on the bell housing, and can be reached from underneath jeep.

The v8 engines require the removal of the wires, cap, and heat shield on the passenger to reach it. And a star tip head on the bolts. Not fun for me.

'87 i had when I lived in FL, and when it went in the heat, it left me stranded. My current address here in up state NY this time of year with the cold weather has allowed me to get away with out having to change it so far, but when the weather gets warmer, I won't have a choice.

I am on call almost 24/7 so finding the time to do it my self is difficult and the look on the mechanics face, well on my Jeep it would be most likely 2 hrs or more to get to the two bolts and plug. So I will try and get it my self when I have no other choice. save my self $150 - $200 in labor.

Good luck.
  • duffy2514duffy2514 Member Posts: 10
    I had a similar issue with my jeep, the tapping noise you hear could be the fuel injecter's. take a long screwdriver and place the handle to your ear and place the other end on each fuel injecter. you should be able to hear very clearly whether it is the injecter's and not a oil issue. if you dont have the correct fuel pressure at the rail the injecter's will make noise . Also if you listen for the fuel pump to run and build up the pressure it will crank easier and may fix the rough idle. ( it did on my 93 with the 5.2 litre engine ) The injector's will sound just like a lifter or push rod knock. Also your fuer pressure regulator may be letting your fuel drain back into the tank after turning off the engine, another reason for listening for the fuel pump to do it's thing before cranking. the fuel pump should only have to run for about 5 second's and you should be able to hear it hum when you turn the ignition switch to the on position. another thing to try is marvel mystery oil. you can use it in the oil and gas however be very careful using fuel additive's because they can release dirt and contaminant's in your fuel system and that is a expensive fix. Is your jeep's check engine light coming on? if it is there's a easy way to retreave the engine code's. turn your key to the on and off position three time's and stop with it on the run position (do not start the engine) the check engine light should start flashing, just count the flashe's and when it flashes five time's then pause's and flashe's five more time's that is code 55 which mean's it has finished it's cycle. autozone or several website's can tell you what the flash / number's mean. have a good day, good luck. steve
    Just to let you all know its been almost a month now since I pulled apart pcm and reinstalled. I am happy to say that we have not had a problem since. I guess like a computer that has issues, you open it up and reseat stuff. Seems to have worked here.
    Thanks and I wish you all good luck with your trouble shooting.
  • jackielmjackielm Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Ok so I bought a 96 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo last August.. It started bucking while driving and then dying. When it dies while driving, you can smell fuel. It isn't throwing any codes at all and I have replaced the fuel filter, pump, plugs n wires.. I have taken it to two mechanics but everytime I take it to get checked it runs perfect like it hates me. I recently had a friend check it out and he said that the cover to my pcm isn't there. idk if that has anything to do with it.. anyone else having these weird problems?