Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• topcop1998topcop1998 Member Posts: 4
    My power windows won't roll up or down. In addition the power outlet on the dashboard won't work. I suspect it is a blown fuse as everything else works. The manual is vague as to which fuse needs to be replaced. Can anyone translate the fuse diagram in the manual???
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Chrysler has a long tradition of not using a fuse to protect the power window circuits.

Look for a circuit breaker in the power distribution box.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Where can I find this distribution box?
    Not completely sure of an '07 at the moment, but on Dakotas there's an electrical panel the left side of the dash and a power distribution center under the hood adjacent to the battery. Your owner's manual should provide the necessary instruction on where to find them.

As I was reviewing your problem, I suspect that you have a short somewhere in the power window circuit. The circuit breakers used in automotive service are self-resetting, meaning once the short has been removed they reset automatically.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Went to the dealer and the problem was in fuse #31 which controls the power windows and the dashboard power outlet.

20 seconds later and a new fuse - everything works.

Word of caution - the dashboard power outlet is always on so if you leave your cell charger in it all the time (like I did) you will at some point overload the fuse and burn it out (like I did).
  • ogallogall Member Posts: 1
    95 dekota sport 3.9 auto headlights,brake lights dashlights all failed at same time.also abs and park brake light came on I checked all the ez stuff and i guess its time to pay the price :cry: any ideas what it might be? and what it costs to replace the body computer if thats what it is? :shades:
    Could be a Central Timer Module or a defective headlight switch. Both were common failure items on that vintage Dakota.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ariclaricl Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem occuring with my 2001 Dakota. Only after the radio shuts down I have about two days till the battery is dead. Im pretty sure there is an internal short in the radio that draws power when the ignition is off. Was wondering how you remedied this problem.
    That may not be a problem.

Various computers...the Prowertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM), the Anti-lock Brake Controller, and the radio just to name a few...draw memory keep-alive current when the ignition switch is in the off position.

The current draw is between 25 and 200 milliamperes depending 0n model and optional equipment. I recommend measuring the actual current before assuming an exceptional current draw.

If you have a factory original battery on a 2002, I would suspect that the real cause is the battery is beginning to die. A simple load test (Auto Zone or other auto parts store) can determine the battery condition.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    what can i do to find out what is killing my battery.have 88 dakota v-6.auto zone says alt. is good but this is second battery.i have pulled all fuses ex. horn,wipers,radio etc.truck runs for a couple of days and the battery is dead.i have just started working on this truck. it was thrusted upon me because it belongs to my nephew so i don't know what the other mech. have done to it.thanks in advance :D
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Question:
    "what can i do to find out what is killing my battery"

Answer:
    1st - make certian that the charging system is working.
    If that is OK - Use an ammeter to isolate which circuit is drawing current when engine is not running. Once you know which main circuit is the culprit... then troubleshoot to isolate the problem using successive approximation and isolation techniques.
    quick check for charging system? i'm not electriclly inclined.
  • bpslack85bpslack85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 2 wheel drive pick up. The following lights are not working as of a day ago. Head Lights, Marker Lights, Instrument Panel Lights, Interior Lights, and License plate lights, the power door locks stopped working as well. Directionals, brake lights and back up lights still work. I've checked all the fuses and they all looked good. There was a post a while ago about an earlier model with a similar problem, (post # 41 I believe, titled "Lack of Lights". Any ideas on how to fix this? All help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
  • bbjflabbjfla Member Posts: 1
    This seems to be related to the problem described in message 103, but with some differences. Number one difference, mine is consistent. It started this morning, and does it every time as follows: Turn on the key (not necessary to start engine, but same sequence of events if you do start the engine). None of the guages move off the peg at sero. After about 5 seconds, the "Check Guages" light comes on, followed by check engine light, abs light, low fuel, and one or two other lights. At this time the Odometer display begins to blink. After another few seconds of blinking, the odometer display changes to "no bus". The engine runs normally ( I guess ), the lights, turn signals, and radio work normally. The A/C quits blowing cold (BIG issue in Tampa Florida). I checked under the hood for any obvious corrosion but have found nothing alarming. Any suggestions what to check next?
    I purchased a simple gizmo from Wallmart that plugs into the ciggerete-lighter socket. It has a digital display of voltage. It allows one to monitor system voltage while under normal driving conditions.

Basically, if you do not see at least 14.8 volts at all times while engine it running, then charging system is suspect.
    i thank you for your help
  • typhoontyphoon Member Posts: 4
    did you find a solution? how bad was the sticker shock on the bill?
  • ixatarbocixatarboc Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Dakota 2WD 3.9L V6 that has developed some weird issues in the past 2 weeks when I try and start it. I left town so I didn't drive the truck for about 5 days, and when I came back the only way I could get the truck to start was by turning the headlights on. When it finally started up, the radio was reset as if the battery had been disconnected. This happened maybe 2 or 3 times during the next week.

About a week after the initial problem the headlights would not turn on, however when I held back the turn signal switch the high beams came on. The next day I looked at the headlight switch and there were black marks on the terminal connecting the wire for the low beams, so I cleaned up the terminal and replaced the headlight switch and the low beams worked again. About an hour later I tried to start the truck and nothing happened, I turned on the headlights and it cranked right up, so I'm guessing the headlight switch isn't what was causing my problem.

Yesterday I turned the key to the on position and there were no dash lights, no buzzer, and the headlights wouldn't come on. I turned the key back to the accessory position and the radio and a/c turned on, so the battery seemed fine. I turned the key back to the on position, left it there for about 5 or 10 minutes, and the dash lights and buzzer slowly faded up, and once they turned on I turned the key and it started up fine. It's done the same thing twice since then, each time taking a little longer for the dash lights and buzzer to turn on.

All of the issues seem to be related to the truck starting, because I haven't had any problems with electrical equipment with the key in the accessory position or while the truck is running, but I'm completely stumped at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • rhonda16rhonda16 Member Posts: 1
    Brian,

Have you gotten a answer to your question? I am now having the same problem. Let me know what the out come was for your truck.

Thank you in advance!
  • marc05marc05 Member Posts: 1
    Really need help. Nebraska weather. Battery was dead this morning. So I bought a new battery at trusty walmart. Put it on know truck sounds funny and won't stay at idle unless i give it gas. 98 dodge dakata 4x4, 3.9 Need help asap
  • gwaltgwalt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L. I turn on the head lights and there is a delay of 30 seconds to 5 minutes and the dome light flashes with the doors open like a strobe light until the headlights turn on. I have replaced the switch and swapped the horn relay with the head light relay also have checked the wiring and wiggle tested. Another odd thing is the head lamp bulb clicks while the switch is in the on position and lamps not on.(strange). My next thing I am considering is the convenience box at the left kick panel,any suggestions are appreciated!
  • tmmy01tmmy01 Member Posts: 1
    We have a dodge dakota and the headlights will go off and on intermittently. The dash switch has been replaced, as well as turn signal arm wiring... the problem still persists... usually after driving it for 10-15 minutes.. stereo seems to be doing same thing at same time.. read about alternator issues with advance.. alternator was replaced as well, but after problem started... any other wiring harness that could be causing short? Has already been a expensive diagnosis from mechanices who seem not to know how to fix.
  • gmcguangmcguan Member Posts: 2
    my 01 started intermittently flashing on and off the airbag light..then the switch for the passenger window wouldn't work from the passenger door, but would from the driver's controls (fixed..dirty elec contact). then the heater fan stopped working on 1-3 but works on 4. horn doesn't work, but the horn sounds when I use the remote door lock... horn switch? now the rear passenger window doesn't work from either the door or the driver controls. any help??? I absolutely love this truck and hope that this gradual disintegration of the electric system is related to cheap chinese switches moreso than due to inherent design problems. thanks
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    Well the heater fan is really easy. It is a variable resistor and is somewhere between $10-$15 from the dealer I believe for your year it is behind the glove box and is about a 10-15 minute job.

Ron
  • gmcguangmcguan Member Posts: 2
    thanks ron for th info...just need to take care of the horn and airbag light now.
    greg
  • ptrckcnwyptrckcnwy Member Posts: 1
    I have an issue with my headlights and dash lights randomly blinking off. I replaced the switch and still have the problem. Now I don't know what to look for next. Any help would be appreciated.
  • erictlerictl Member Posts: 3
    Just recently the the heater fan switch would only operate on the 2 lower speeds in my 1995 Dodge Dakota. It is a 318 ci without air conditioning. Since then I have replaced the temperature control switch module and it still only works on the 2 lower speeds. I have read the postings and understand that it could be the resistor board or the fan motor itself. Where is the resistor board located? If it is not the resistor board how difficult is it to replace the fan motor?
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    erictl - Your problem is that your variable resistor needs to be replaced. Depending upon your year it is located on the firewall in the engine compartment or behind the glove box. It is a $10-$15 replacement part at your dealership and takes about 15 minutes to replace. When you go to the parts counter they will be able to tell you the exact location.

Ron
  • erictlerictl Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Ron. I finally was able to get the resistor and install it and it did the trick. I now have the high speed on the defroster. Unfortunately I now have an extra fan/temperature control.

Eric
  • jbrophyjbrophy Member Posts: 2
    The blower fan for my 2004 Dakota stopped working, the blower motor checks out OK, the thermistor sensor checked out OK, there are no fuses blown that I can see, unless I'm missing one. If I have the AC button turned on & I turn on the fan switch, the light for the AC comes on, but the blower motor doesn't, so the switch seems to be working, or is it? It seems that power isn't making it to the blower motor. What's the problem? My wife uses this vehicle and she has no heat or defrosters, I need help getting her off my back about fixing this. Any advise will be helpful & greatly appreciated. :)
    my goodness.... read the archives. There are literally 100s of accounts of the blower-resistor burning up.

BTW: I have been working on vechiles for over 30 years and am trained in electronics... but do not know what "thermistor sensor" would do in relation to a blower-motor. There is , however, a sensor WITHIN all electric motors (federal safety law) that will open up if the windings get too hot. Is this the sensor you are refering to?

Your problem should be easy enough to troubleshoot and isolate with a DVM (DigitalVoltMeter)
  • jbrophyjbrophy Member Posts: 2
    bpeebles, thanks for your answer, I am glad you have been working on vehicles (not vechiles) for over 30 years and that you are trained in electronics as well. I however, am just an everyday "Joe" trying to save a buck, who is brand new to forums, this is my first, and I don't work on cars, but can hold my own when I know what to do, so it would have been nice for you to just tell me that the resistor is probably my problem and that I can find it under the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle and that it will cost only about $15 to replace and its held in by two screws. In the future, I will make it a point to better research the situation so as not to disturb you with my obviously foolish question. A 20+ year Dodge Service Manager kindly answered my question and sent me a diagram as well, and he wasn't condescending in any way. In any case, I hope you have a better day then you are having today and a Merry Christmas.
  • oechsleoechsle Member Posts: 3
    I have issue with headlights parklites and dash lights blinking off. I replaced little black relay at driver door post, but did not fix. I can feel it click when they blink.
    I am sorry you came away feeling that way... Perhaps you looked at this forum as your own personal question-and-answer session?

Your question was not foolish... but it has been asked sooooo mannnnyyyy times that it got old about 3 years ago.

I am glad you will take the time to research BEFORE asking. Perhaps, in the end, you will have gaind somthing more than just an answer to your immedeate question.

I beleive in teaching a man to fish instead of just feeding him. I hope you understand what I mean here. 8-)
    I have replaced the light switch and this did not fix the electrical issue. I need some help on what will or might be a repair. Parking light relay has been replaced also.
  • arpus85arpus85 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1993 dakota v8 when i turn the key on i blow the 40 amp ignition fusedlink whats going on i have a multimeter. i'm not real familier with this vehicle if anyone could give me any help would be much appriciated
    thanks
  • larmatsonlarmatson Member Posts: 1
    When I move my steering wheel into position to drive and I have my headlamps on they will turn off when I move the steering wheel down. All the way up and away from the driver they stay on. High beam works in any position.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Sounds like your multifunction (turn/dimmer/wiper) switch is going bad, or its wires within the steering column are caught/crimped in the area of the tilt.

kcram - Pickups Host.
  • wakeerwakeer Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Dakota. Recently, my headlights, parking lights, dash lights, interior lights, intermittent wipers (low and high wiper works ok) and the power locks stopped working. I disconnected the battery for about an hour, reconnected it and they all started working. Now, I have to disconnect the battery constantly, and for longer periods. I had a repair shop hook it up to a computer but they said that there was nothing wrong, nor could they explain the strange behavior. Before I pay another $170, any suggestions?
    I think the CTC is the common touchpoint for most of those systems you mention. There were some CTCs which had a bad electrical ground and caused funky problems with intermittint wipers and such. It may be worthwhile to validate that yout CTC has good-solid grounds. The CTC used to be mounted near the passengers feet... but may be different on your 2004.

CTC = Central Timer Console
  • belvedere65belvedere65 Member Posts: 5
    After reading about all the electric problems on this forum, I think I know why the previous owner traded it. Mine have just started. The blower fan switch only works on high. Going in to dealer on Tues. for state inspection and will have to pay $79.00 for diagnostic to find problem. Well I now know what it surely could be. Hate to even think of what is down the line owning this truck.
    2002 2w dr reg cab Sport v6 auto :(
    With the blower only working on "high" this is a common symptom of the blower-resister burned out. Part is about $12 and time-to-replace is less than 10 minutes.

DO NOT THINK THIS IS A DAKOTA-ONLY PROBLEM. I have had to replace burned out blower-resistor on Chevy and Honda.... but never on my 2000 Dakota!

Do not forget that the blower-resistor is almost RED HOT when it is in operation. That is why it is mounted inside the air-plenum so the flowing air will keep it cool.
  • belvedere65belvedere65 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks! In reading all the posts in this forum, it just seemed that there were an awful lot of electrical problems concerning the Dakotas, not just the heater blower one. I still love the truck. I downsized from an 02 3500 dually when it was no longer needed for towing a 26" enclosed trailer. Loved that one also, as does the new owner. Sold it this fall with 36000 mi. on it.
  • rackmanrackman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Dakota that keeps locking the doors weather the key is on or off. Dealer said both door switches needed to be replaced, I disconnected both switches and it still keeps locking, obviously not the problem. I found two fuses that go to the control module that stops the locking, but turns off either the left or right headlight. I have to carry a spare key with me to keep form getting locked out.
    Seems like these trucks have a lot of electrical issues!
    Any ideas?
  • chantellechantelle Member Posts: 1
    I'm desperate and don't know where to turn. In early 2006 we purcahsed a 2005 lease return dodge dakota 4X4 V8. I love my truck but days after driving it off the lot it's had a gremlin in the dashboard. All of a sudden all warning lights will come on along with the chime then everything goes dead. All lights go off, no gas guage, no speedometer, odometer, RPM's, radio, blower fan, power locks and who knows what else. It's usually for a split second and then all comes back up. Over the last (close to 2 years) the truck has been in to the dealership at least once a month and now is out of warranty. It's had transmission work (3 times), airbag problems and of course this stupid problem. Again it's at the dealership and again no codes in the computer to tell them. The other day it did it 16 times and today on my way to the dealership (a 10 minute drive away) it did it twice. The tech is taking it home tonight to see if it acts up. I'm so frustrated and so upset, I just don't know where to turn anymore. :cry:
    I fixed my blinking lights by replacing central timer module down in the left kick panel. I see Dusty said this could be it and it was for me. THANKS!
  • dodge01driverdodge01driver Member Posts: 12
    First of all ... I hope you are having a Merry Christmas. A question, can you please tell me (if you don't mined) how much did it cost you to replace the CTM ... central timer module ???, and did you replace it yourself or dealer. I thank you for your time on this reply. I look forward to chatting with you. :)
    Sorry for the late response, but I think the CTM is $140 from Dodge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dodge01driverdodge01driver Member Posts: 12
    Hey Dusty, Thanks. I am going to replace that (CTM) this coming weekend. I just wanted to know what they were going to hit me up for before I go and any last minute tips from you. Thanks again for your time, Harry