Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• paco9paco9 Member Posts: 2
  • oilcanmanoilcanman Member Posts: 7
    did you check the fuses. sometime they have more than one.
    2007 dakota .have electrical problems .the tack,speedo jump around all dummy lights come on .took it to dealer they kept it for a month .replaced dash cluster and computer.got truck back drove it 50 miles every thing started again.does any one else have this problem
    I have a 2007 dakota its been in the shop every week this month with the same problem you have.they replaced dash cluster and computer.drove it 50 miles samething again.read in another post that these trucks have problems with wiring shorts .you might have them check for that problem.
    thanks oilcanman
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I've got a 2005 quad cab and have never had the problem you're describing.

But, if I were to start troubleshooting someplace, it would be looking for a bad ground on the instrument cluster.
    truck is back at shop again .I got to talk to the tech he thinks it may be a short in the wiring.hes going to replace the wiring and cluster again. the last time i toke it in the service advisor would not even try and let me talk to the tech about the problem. this time got another advisor she got the tech for me to talk to an tell him the problem.ill see what happens from here.
    sounds like a short in the wiring trace the wire all the way from point a to point b. it may be rubbing on something
  • topsultopsul Member Posts: 4
    My head lights, power door locks, interior lights, not working, service 4 wheel drive light is on, also the back cargo light on all the time (battery disconnected to turn that off). Could be other items not working will check later today. I have seen a few other posts (118) with a similar problem.
    Thanks for any and all help.
  • longknifelongknife Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem. 1st disconnect the pos and neg terminals to the battery, touch the cables togather to reboot the computer (this dicharges any memory in the computer and resets the computer when it is powered up) Connect the batter cables and the everything will start working. The 2nd problem is the connector for the computer behind the kick pannel by your left foot. If this connector is loose or gets a damp it will loose contact or have an intermintant contact causing the dash cluster to go on and off. Unplug and replug several times to clean contacts and I would go to an electronics dealer to get a spray to dry the contacts and keep the dampness out. Hopes this helps.
    thanks I'll try that when I get home from work
    After trying all the suggestions I got (yours and several other site posts).
    The problems left are: (1) No drivers side low beam on the headlight (2) the remote door lock fobs are not working.
  • gimp85gimp85 Member Posts: 4
    1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2 litre. automatic-club cab has electrical power surges. Windshield wipers, heater-air conditioner motor all speed up way past normal operating speeds intermittenly. Problems getting more frequent. Made a left turn in the daylight hours(no lights) with windshield wipers on and air bag light came on(only happened the one time), windshield wipers were about to fly off the truck.
    See above message, electrical power surges. Headlights also get brighter and then dim back down.
    you may have a lose ground wire">
    oilcanman, surely it couldn't be as simple as a loose battery negative terminal. So far so good. Thanks. I know. Check the simple things first. Can't get used to working on these computer thingys. It just don't make since.
    not the battery . check the ground on the lights .dodge has a problem with not grounding stuff the right way. they dont clean the paint off where they install the grounds. i,am taking a class in auto electrical at college.that is one of the problems the teacher us on a1997 plymouth breeze.had to check all the wiring in the car .that was the only thing i found was a loose ground wire
    Sorry oilcanman. You missed my drift. I did find a loose cable on the battery and after cleaning terminals and cable ends the problem seems to be gone. I've only driven it about 20 miles since, but the problems were showing up quite a few times before in that same time frame. Again, thanks. Even if that's not what you meant, it at least made me look for something simple.
    just put in a new CTM looks like all is well but I still need to program the remote door locks' Any ideas ??
  • kelpaulkelpaul Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota that the headlights, taillights and dash lights have gone out on. Any ideas?
    Fuse to the instrument panel???
  • hoodflap60hoodflap60 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 92 dakota,it will not start for nothing.I have replaced all distibuter parts,new coil,the !@#$% sinser that goes in the trans at flywheel BUT STILL NO FIRE.It is getting fuel,and i have amps up to coil no further.I NEED MY TRUCK BACK :cry:
  • drew41drew41 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 dakota i had the same problem last nite tracked it back to the wireing harness going to the fuse panel under the hood next to the battery
  • mgillimgilli Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced a default drivers side seat putting low level electric impulses through them while they drive. People think I'm crazy when I talk to them about it. I am thinking of getting rid of My 06 Dodge Magnum because no one can find the problem. Please I Need help!
  • tbinbtbinb Member Posts: 2
    twice while driving my 02 dakota at night the "security" light on the panel came on, followed by all exterior and interior lights going on and off. Also, the right turn signal would cause the emergency flashers to come on. So far a mechanic cannot find the source of the problem. Anybody have ideas?
    Just guessing, but it sounds like an intermittent in the instrument cluster board. Also, could be a ground problem somewhere that's causing a sneak path.

Sorry can't be more specific, but these problems are a real bear to track down.
  • tbinbtbinb Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help. Will pass this on to the mechanic.
  • redneckf75redneckf75 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1992, dodge dakota ,3.9L, V 6, 2x4, no air conditioning, standard package that is really screwed up and I've got a problem!! The other day I hit some ''wonderful potholes'' and everything went dark. Mind you this happened at 6:30 am so it was dark out. I now have no headlights, no marker lights (front and back), no brake lights, no dash lights, the anti-lock and brake lights are lit up in the dash and the horn don't blow. I DO have flashers and 4-ways. I have checked ALL fuses and all are good. I do hear a clicking noise (something like a house breaker blowing) when I push in my lightswitch. The sound comes from around the area of the rear wheels ???? I'm looking for some indication as to what direction to go now. If anybody can give me some insight to this wierd mess it would be of great appreciation!!!!!
  • redneckf75redneckf75 Member Posts: 3
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    My 98 Dakota 4X4 has been relatively trouble free in its 100K life. I've had some electrical issues and am wondering if my issue now is a bad ignition switch. A few months ago I suspected the starter was going. Took it out and had it tested, A-OK. I replaced the negative battery wire, positive was OK. Every now and then all I got was a click when I attempted to start. If I kept turning the key, she'd catch and start. One time I moved the shift lever down into 1 and then back up to Park, and off it went. A mechanic I go to sometimes said to suspect the Neutral Start Switch. OK, it was cheap enough for this unemployed guy just tryin' to save a buck, at $18 bucks. Put in in the other day, and she fired off immediately and did so after 10 consecutive attempts. But yesterday(Wed. the 4th) I came out in the morning and what did I get? A CLICK and no start!!!! After uttering a few choice expletives, I thought I was back to square one. My mechanic friend also said Dodge's were known for bad ignition switches. Funny thing is, last night I took it to school and it started fine both here and there, and fired up this morning like there was no problem at all. Shed some light on this for me, you Mopar Masters! Could it be an INTERMITTENT issue with the IGN. switch? Prices for a replacement range from $63 bucks at Auto Zone to $120 at the dealer. I'd appreciate any help, and thanks!
  • mattibewmattibew Member Posts: 2
  • mattibewmattibew Member Posts: 2
    My 98 Dakota 3.9 V6, no power anything is having electrical problems. Headlights and instrument panel lights go off intermittently. Where do I start?
    I have accessed the wiring harness under the steering column and if I move wires I can make the inst. lights go on and off sometimes but not the headlights. Ive read about the CTM but not sure my 98 without power windows or locks has one? I plan on checking grounds any suggestions on where most likely grounds affecting this are located? I will also check individual wires and connectors. Any suggestions on which connectors to focus on?
    Any general suggestions appreciated!
  • acoaxetacoaxet Member Posts: 1
    I have just started having this same problem (1999 Dakota 5.2). Replace the starter relay with the fog light relay (same part number) and it started working..thought that was it but the problem started acting up again.. so must have been a coincidence. When it is not starting, and the ignition switch in the run position, nothing is powered i.e instrument cluster is dead, of course move to the start position and nothing happens. Regardless of problems that the start circuit could have , i.e. bad neutral switch or start relay or starter solenoid etc, when the ignition switch is in run, the instrument cluster should be operating... I'm beginning to think the ign switch is the problem...
    Thanks for responding, acoaxet. I read your story and mine differs in that I DID have power to the instrument cluster during the times when the truck wasn't starting. I also tried the relay swap deal too. Now since I initially posted this blog, I have had NO trouble starting whatsoever! Now this is after I replaced that Neutral Start Switch and had the one episode where it didn't start. But since then I have used it several times a week, had it out yesterday and it started flawlessly. Gremlins? Maybe. I would think a bad ignition switch would not magically heal itself just by replacing another switch, and that such a condition would eventually get worse. And if it turns out to be your ingition switch, check out Auto Zone or some comparable place. The one I would have needed, Part # LS922 was only $63 compared to the Dealer at $120.00. Your's might be different because I see you have the V-8. Anyway, I wish you luck in your future repair endeavours.
  • retsailorretsailor Member Posts: 1
    About once a week I go to start my Dakota and I get nothing. Like the battery has been removed. If I open the driverside door and close it will a little force the truck comes back to life. Except the radio needs to be reset. 2000 V6 3.9L. I looked for the dome light switch in the door but can not find it. I have not torn the door apart yet. would like some information before I do. I know the problem is going to hit before I every stick the keys in the ignition. The dome light does not come on.
  • rgking1rgking1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Dakota and while driving the radio and fan motor will stop working if you wiggle the ignition switch you can get it to come back on for a little while. I read a post on here about the same problem suggesting that it is a switch mounted on the left side of the steering collum near the turn signal that was causing the problem. But there was not a follow up posting to let everyone know if replacing the switch solved the problem. Anyone out there replaced this switch for the reason lmentioned above.
    I just wanted to write a follow-up on the starting issues I was having with my '98 Dakota. Turned out that it was the STARTER after all! Even though I had pulled it out and had it checked at a local AutoZone, where it DID pass the test it was given, there was something going on inside that would eventually render it useless. Don't forget, when you take a starter or alternator into a place to be checked, its done under a no-load condition, not like when it's mounted in your vehicle and under a load. Anyway, I couldn't afford a new or rebuilt one( 120 to 145$) and at least 4 local salvage yards couldn't help me. But we have a local business here that has been around forever(don't know why I didn't think of doing this before) and they specialize in rebuilding starters and alternators of all type. So I yanked the starter out last week, took it to him and he called me the next day and said he found the problem and ASKED me if 65 bucks was OK to charge me!!! Can you believe that? Who does business that way anymore?? Well, folks, all I can say is problem solved now!!! Have a wonderful holiday!!!
  • ayakayak Member Posts: 7
    Crbolte,
    Did you replace the ignition switch module? Was the the problem? I am having the same issue now, turn signal and radio only in my 2001. Do you have a part number and is this the correct name for the part?
  • rgking1rgking1 Member Posts: 2
    Going to Autozone today to order the ignition switch which is about 26 dollars per there website. Don't have a part # but its a plastic assembly that a connector plugs into, your local parts store will be able to look it up. Its a non-stock item for my local stores. Looks like you or i will be the first to post a fix for this problem. I WILL let you know if this fixes the problem.
    Thanks. I will order today after work and let you know if it works.
    Autozone had part in stock for my 2001 dakota. Duralast ignition switch, #LS1144. Replaced last night and solved the problem.
    Thanks for everyone's help and for this web site.
  • monkmonmonkmon Member Posts: 1
    Ok I forgot to turn off the head lights and they were on for long enough to drain the battery completly dead. I hooked up the charger and (the under the hood light) lit up I tried to start it it just turned over but it wont run turns over well and none of these work: dome light, under the hood light, and the radio but the fuses that go to them are all tested ok. Funny thing is instrument pannel works (gadges only no backlight),and power locks/windows work as well. Also the battery is fully charged now. I never ran into a problem like this any help would be great. 1996 4x4 Dodge Dakota v8 5.2
  • lightsearch52lightsearch52 Member Posts: 3
    When I turn on the heater fan it does not run. The parking brake and ABS light under the tach comes on tho. Also, when in reverse the same light comes on, but no back up lights.
    Blown fan fuse caused this, hmmmm.
  • kv4alkv4al Member Posts: 2
  • kv4alkv4al Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the 3rd brake light wire that goes to the back end of the truck is located and the color code of that wire. Right now the cap dealer connect the light to the left brake light and the HP is not happy with this arrangement.

Any Ideas in Dakota Land?
  • clb86clb86 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: If I leave my truck sitting for an extended period of time i.e 10+ hours i have to jump it when i want to go somewhere. But, if i come back after a short time it will start right up. I went to Autozone had them check the battery, alternator, and starter everything came out to be fine..
    Check the light under the hood, Mine was staying on, draining the battery. Solution was easy, remove the bulb.
    Certainly worth looking at, but I wouldn't think that would drain a battery in 10 hours or so. Maybe over a week, but not 10 hours.
  • clb86clb86 Member Posts: 2
    i looked for the light under the hood... dont see one.. so theres got to be something else causing this problem... solenoid? spark plugs? fuses? i' have had the starter, alternator and battery tested and they all came out to be just in great working condition..
  • me2butch4ume2butch4u Member Posts: 17
    I have a '94 dakota. Just purchased. Ignition was punched out of it and was starting it with a screwdriver. Was working fine. Went to car parts store to buy new ignition switch and cylinder for it and the thing wouldn't start. Turn the key: nothing, not even a click. Ok, so I installed the new switch and cylinder, figuring the screwdriver fix finally crapped out, still nothing and now, when the switch is in the on position, I have no idiot lights, no directionals, no radio, no heater blower...pretty much anything that only comes on when the switch is on wont work.

I found a blown fusable link over left shock tower. (very heavy gauge black wire). Cut out the link and with switch in on position, if I connect the two ends of the wire, still nothing. I even tested the plug on the switch with this wire connected and there is no power to any of the pins in the harness. This tells me that there is something going on between the switch and the battery, but what?

Any ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Branden :confuse: