Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• dodge122dodge122 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 dakota and i have replaced a lot trying to figure it out. My problem is it wont start all it does is clicks for a second and stops and clicks and stops. cam amyone help me out here
  • sdpopssdpops Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota. For some time I have experienced a problem when the headlights are on and I turn the wiper control on the multifunction switch to the 3rd and 4th position. The headlights work OK when the wiper switch is at other positions. I've read that the multifuntion switch may be causing the problem but I don't understand how the headlight switch and wiper controls are related. Can anyone help before I experiment replacing the multifunction control switch.
  • ricarguyricarguy Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1996 dodge dakota sport v6 magnum engine. my dash electrical system is having trouble the dash lights go out sometimes with a buzzing sound that is constant along with the gauges all pin unless you turn the dimmer all the way down and the sound goes away and the gauges go back to normal . the radio works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't or the light in the radio area don't work but the rest do ??? is this a ground wire problem ? sometimes it does it every day and goes away for a couple of days and comes back out of the blue. or the radio doesn't work for days and just comes on from no where as you drive .
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Bad ground connection could cause your problems. The return current for lights, that come through the dimmer, may be finding a sneak path through the gauges.
  • jbrunnerjbrunner Member Posts: 3
    I see that no one replied to your post, I am having the same problem, did you figure out what the problem was?
    I feel too that it is a short somewhere. When I turn the light switch on, the abs,brake dash lights come on, when I push the switch off, I can hear a click coming from the cowl about in the middle of it. I guess the next step is to remove the cowl and see if I can locate it. Thanks for the reply.
    seeing as no one gave an answer, I went and had it fixed. It turned out to be bad corrosion in the bulkhead connector. Find out that this is fairly common as moisture collects in there. Look there first for your short.
    I should clarify my problem. When the headlights are ON and I set the wiper switch to the third or fourth position, the headlights get turned OFF by themselves. The headlights work OK when the wiper switch is at other positions. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Almost definitely the stalk/switch. The reason it affects your headlights is because the switch is also the high beam dimmer and flash-to-pass toggle.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    Thanks for the info kcram. Can you tell me where the stalk/switch is located. Is it the multifunction switch in the steering column?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Stalk = multifunction witch. Different names for the same thing.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • netpicker2000netpicker2000 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Low beams do not come on. Nor will the high beams unless I hold the turn signal. Checked fuses and all in working order. When I activate high beams my lower driving lights go out. I think it is in the relay however, don't know where to look. Any feedback appreciated.
  • jd110jd110 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem on a 2000 Dakota. You will have to replace the whole turn signal switch, it is all one unit and they go for about $50-$60.
  • netpicker2000netpicker2000 Member Posts: 2
    Does this require dismantling the steering column?
    edited March 2010
    I had a similar problem that requires replacing the multifunction switch / stalk in the steering column (see message 416-419). Here are websites for disassembling the steering column and replacing the switch unit. Be sure to disable the airbag in the steering.
    http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango/83554-multifunction-switch.html
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/2009/12/2005-dodge-dakota-multifunct- - - ion.htm
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/2010/3/2007-Dodge-Dakota-Multi.htm
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/4q1w-electrical-problem
    The part cost $66
    http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog-small.html?gclid=CN_buqbjw6ACFQldago- - - dJUsPbA
    type in "combo switch" for the part description.

You can buy a Chilton Manual at Auto Zone for @$25. It also has detailed instructions and is well worth the purchase price.
  • conan1riceconan1rice Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1991 1/2 dodge dakota 3.9 v-6 automatic. for the past week or two ive had the parking brake light turn on when i shift into reverse. Also, when i try to use anything to do with my cigar lighter( my blower motor is tied into this circut, not my doing, was like that when i got it). Ive checked all the fuses and everything. when disable the parking brake sensor the light still comes on when you turn something on. Really need help, got no blower
  • typhoontyphoon Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 with the 4.7. I have been having issues with the headlights on the truck. I seem to be loosing the passenger low beam. Highs work fine. I have replaced the bulb on a couple of occasions.
    When I replace the bulb it works for a while then stops . It has gone in and out intermittently . Any Ideas?
    I thought it was the socket connection .. I cleaned and expanded the socket terminals and it still happens.
    Thanks Dan
  • shadow37shadow37 Member Posts: 1
    tailight parking lights dont work new fuses ,new bulbs is there a relay or something else to check
  • talcol1talcol1 Member Posts: 2
  • talcol1talcol1 Member Posts: 2
    My 97 Dodge dakota 4X4 has a chraging problem. I have had the battery checked the altenator checked. The repair shop told me it was the PCM. Today I changed the PCM and it started to charge at about 13.57 volts. After driving it I came home and it is now back to the old 11.87 volts and declining. Seems like the PCM was working and now quit. any ideas why?
  • effbluedragoneffbluedragon Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 dodge dakota, the cab lights wont go off. I start the truck drive it, park go to get out lock and close the door. cab lights stay on they are supposed to dim out. I have to reach in threw the sliding glass window and turn them off manually. after never having them manually on? Also my truck is a 2wd V6 ..the service 4wd light is on and has stayed on after i replaced my bad battery for 85.00. The guy at auto zone said this would fix the problem, it didn't. Please help
  • kburks60kburks60 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2002 Dokata Sport V8 4.7L....Truck ran fine for years no major unforseen repairs...Was driving the other day and the truck shut off at a red light..check engine light came on, RPMs redlined, fuel pump comes on, fuel injectors start running all bells and whistles working but truck does not start....6 hours later after sitting truck starts no problem drives 60 miles home as soon as we pull in the drive it starts again, sits overnight, starts just fine after it reaches operating temp it turns off and goes stupid again, at one point we checked the codes it said the distributor, I don't have one, camshaft position module was the next one then the gas cap...Shade tree mechanic saids computer is going out...there are no rebuilt computers in this town checked auto zone they don't have my model, checked advanced they say check the dealer...could it be something else?
  • mopardanmopardan Member Posts: 1
    My son's 2002 Dakota has a problem with the lights. Key off, everything perfect. Turn key on and headlights, fog, interior, tail, dash, flash like a disco party! I changed the headlight switch, but didn't help. Checked grounds, trailer plug etc. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
  • smorinsmorin Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    All at once I lost the following in my vehicle:
    Power Locks & Keyless Entry
    Intermittent Wipers
    Headlights
    Foglights
    Interior lighting

I've checked the fuses, and they are all fine. Has anyone seen/heard of this before?
    Worried about not having any headlights or interior lights.
    Thanks so much!
  • skrapper69skrapper69 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2010
    OK my truck will crank but will not start all the gauges work except for the fuel gauge and the millage will blink then it will say NO BUS... I have tried putting new battery terminals on and the headlights work everything comes on except for what I said someone please help me out so I can have my truck for work
    I'm guessing that NO BUS indicates that there is something wrong with one of the communication buses (the CAN bus) between the instrument cluster and the PCM or ECU.

This could be just a bad or loose connection somewhere, or a failed computer module. I would pull the instrument cluster, re-seat all the connectors, look for any obvious bad connections, and maybe even reflow all the solder joints on the instrument cluster.
    the thing is it will not start it cranks over good but it wont start and the gas gauge will not work then the millage gauge will flash and say NO BUS and the box around the P R N D 1 2 will not appear ?
    edited July 2010
    OK the thing is it will not start it cranks over good but it wont start and the gas gauge will not work then the millage gauge will flash and say NO BUS and the box around the P R N D 1 2 will not appear...... I have tried putting new battery terminals on and the headlights work everything comes on except for what I said someone please help me out so I can have my truck for work please help me out
  • chunkeychunkey Member Posts: 2
    Last month I noticed my Battery getting weak, then day by day things went wrong. the door locks quit, the interior lights work on & off, then finally my headlights quit working completely. Also I can here a buzzing, and see the filament lit up very dim in the headlights. The ENG. light blinks too... I replaced the battery and the truck starts & runs fine but no headlights & no interior lights !
  • chunkeychunkey Member Posts: 2
    ??? Do you have to re- :confuse: set the main computer er something, because just alot of strange things have been happening in the space of 1 month.
  • stvbestvbe Member Posts: 3
    Well heres one for you, wipers come on when lights are turned on or right turn signal is used and on the das the right turn signal just stays on, no flashing or anything just on. Also right head light comes on but its so dim, you cant hardly even see it. So i completely removed the stalk/switch so nothing should have power but the right turn signal still comes on, it doesn't flash, just stays on...how is that possible? 2 days later my high speed fan goes out, and the idle control thing is not working right all of a sudden so the truck doesnt like to start................
    #%@& is about all I can say at this point
    edited August 2010
    Corroded or lost ground connection somewhere?
    not a bad idea, ill start looking, thanks
    Thank you very much. Found a loose ground wire, passenger side.. Oddly enough though when you move it makes the idle cntrl click, but it did fix my problem
  • djm17djm17 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    my Dakota sputters and some hesitation when first started and still cold, is this the start to serious problem?and what can i do to fix it. also truck dose not start on first try, unless it was just turned off
  • duckeriiduckerii Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000, with 265,000 miles :) I am having the same problem with my truck, I've been reading it may be the CTM module, I'm not sure, hoping you got yours figured out and can help me, ty
  • jd110jd110 Member Posts: 3
    It turned out to the the high beam switch causing the problem with my truck. Replaced light switch and all worked fine until I turned on high beams again. It is all one unit turn signal stem and all. Easy to replace just remember to disconnect battery due to air bag just in case. Hope this helps you out.
  • duckeriiduckerii Member Posts: 4
    headlights are working again, my problem was a melted connector, I was able to use speaker connectors to fudge it back together. Thanks for the help jd110. I could have spent big bucks on the ctm, instead, it just cost me about an hour of my time. think i can hit 300,000 miles?
  • bberthbberth Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1996 Dakota, the dome light does not come on when doors are opened (comes on with light switch), the bright light indicator stays on (even when brights are off), and the fan only has 2 speeds (new resistor just put on). Can anyone help with diagnosis ?? Thanks, Bob. :confuse:
  • dam104dam104 Member Posts: 3
    Is it new or reman? and recheck veh/ground one to block and one to body. was alt on engine or on a test stand? pcm may be bad or alt.? i had a bad ( reman pcm)one that made it one day! and a sec/veh.had a bad ground gave me the blues. got to have very good ground with this hi-tech veh's. good luck to you sir.:)
  • dam104dam104 Member Posts: 3
    check u pull a part or u-pick junk yard.? (p/n must match! ) off a 4.7L w/auto right? check mopar reman at dodge. fst.check all vac/lines and all ele/wires if ok recheck for faltcodes. if five or more codes it's your pcm.good luck to you sir. :)
  • barb713barb713 Member Posts: 2
  • barb713barb713 Member Posts: 2
    this all quit at once, the key was hard to turn, and when it did it blew a 50 amp fuse.....elec windows and locks, AC, Cruise control, lights, and radio. replaced the fuse, and got the radio and lights back.....My mom remembers having some module replaced or something re-wired on the bottom side of the steering column when this happened a few years ago when my father was alive.....and when they bought the parts to do it they were told it was something that happened a lot with that year Dakota. Does anyone have a clue what it was? Someone else suggested a relay unit somewhere under the dash on the passenger side so we will check that in the morning, but I am betting its the more difficult job under the column
  • ericcc1ericcc1 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday I did some maintenance on my 2005 Dakota including pulling the battery cables off and cleaning them up. When I put the battery cables back on and started the truck it started perfect. But I noticed the headlights were on even though the switch was off. Then I noticed the digital odometer was out, the oil pressure and temp gauges were out, the radio was out, no dash lights. The turn signals don't work, the hazards don't work and worst of all I can not put the truck in gear because the brake switch isn't working. There was absolutely no symptoms of trouble prior to the battery cables being cleaned and being put back on. I figured I would have to re tune the radio stations. This is a 2 WD 4 door quad cab Dakota with about 95K mileage. Any ideas? I checked all the fuses but they are all good.
  • tbone27tbone27 Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same thing happen to my truck. What did you find to be the problem? Any help you could give me would be really appreciated. Thanks
  • tbone27tbone27 Member Posts: 2
    Could #365 please let me know what you found to be the problem. I am having the exact same issues.
  • ericcc1ericcc1 Member Posts: 3
    hopefully you have a different problem than me, my truck was towed in and the problem was found to be a bad instrument cluster board. $450 dollars plus labor and tow. works great again, why would this go bad? who knows..................
  • corn6269corn6269 Member Posts: 1
    For the Past Four Days Now the Back-up Lights for my '00 Dakota 4X4 4.7L V8 Have Been Staying on Ether With or With Out the Truck Running. Just Today the Tail Lights Started Doing the Same Thing. Oh One Other Thing is the Turn Signal Arrows Act up as Well the Right is Not Blinking & the Left One Is. I Can't Seem to Come up With a Way to Fix it if Anyone Can Help it Would be Really Appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason
  • danno11danno11 Member Posts: 2
    I left my headlights on 2 days in a row (slow learner) on my 96 Dakota, draining the battery both times. First day I jumped it and the second day I push started. Battery charged right up both times just fine. Next time I drove at night I had no headlights, taillights, brake lights, dash lights, horn, the tack gauge acted crazy, brakes acted up, and abs light came on every time I try to use any of the above mentioned. At the same time the brakes are not functioning properly losing pedal as you come to a stop and pulsing. All these happened (99% sure) as a result of leaving headlights on and draining the battery (no prior problems). I've tried the fusses, relays, and headlight switch with no luck. Never seen such a weird set of elec problems, especially from leaving your headlights on. I would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out this very strange problem. Thanks, Dan
    PS: I see from reading this forum that these Dakotas seem to have have strange elec. issues, problems.
  • danno11danno11 Member Posts: 2
    wow