Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Tires and Wheels

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
edited June 2014 in Dodge
Talk about your Dak's running gear here!

Comments

• Options
    mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    I have a 2000 4x2 R/C Dakota with the 4.7L engine and tire and handling group. The tires are P255/65R15 Goodyear Eagle LS with the 15X8" wheel. The only replacement tires I have found in this size are the same Goodyear Eagles or Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes. The Pirelli's Scorpions are out of stock and the Goodyear Eagles are expensive junk. My question is can I revert to the stock or optional tires listed for Dakotas without the tire and handling group (P215/75R15 or P235/75R15XL). The wheel listed with the stock tires is a 15x7". Will these tires fit on my current 15x8" wheels or am I stuck with getting the P255/65R15 tires again. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    blk4x4blk4x4 Member Posts: 43
    If I was you I would go with dunlop dueler revo series 31/10.50/15 It will look alot better and they are awesome tires with great handling
  • Options
    They are dueler a/t. I also have had good luck with nitto terra grappler a/t nice all around tire but not sure if they come that small. I have a set of rims with 31s on them sitting aroud if your interested. my e-mail is rickiefulton@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I orderd my 2000 Dakota from factory with the "tire and wheel option" and I have the same wheels as you do. Factory tires were "31X10.5R15" truck tires.

I run Nokian Vatiiva tires (P265/75R15) on my 2000 Dakota. (I paid under $90 each per tire)

The reason I chose Nokian Vatiiva is because Nokian makes the best snow tire in the world (the Hakkapeliitta) and the Vatiiva is based on that design.

I do want to comment on your choice of tires ("Passenger", "Light Truck" or "Truck")...

*)The PASSENGER tires (starting with a "P") will give you the best ride quality.
    *)The LIGHT TRUCK tires (Starting with "LT") will have slightly rougher ride but will handle more weight.
    *)The TRUCK tires (31X10.5R15)will have the harshest ride but will be able to carry 300 lbs of wight daily. (for example a large toolbox in the bed of your Dak.)

Basically, as you move up in weight-carrying ability, you get more sidewall plies but less tread deapth. The heavier tires also cost a lot more.

Personally, I only carrry heavy weight about 3 times a year so I went with "P" rated tires so it does not ride like a rock the rest of the year.

In other words, if you carry a load in the back of your truck EVERY SINGLE DAY... then go with the tires that have more sidewall plies for stiffness.
  • Options
    I run 285/55/R18 nitto terra grappler and the ride is smooth
    and handles like my toyota x-runner.........Is there alot of
    snow where you live.......I'm in PA so there not been to bad of winters lately
  • Options
    As you have attested to... your tires with fewer sidewall plies ride pretty smooth.

I am glad I do not have 18inch wheels such as yours. The choice of tires is limited and VERY expensive. I bet your tires cost more than $90 each.

Yes - Vermont gets its share of snow. I specifically orderd my Dak from the factory with every traction-improving option available. (Including MANUAL xmission!) Of course, when locked into 4X4, it likes to go only in a straight line.... but this is the nature of a true 4 wheel drive when the front wheels are trying to spin at the same speed.
  • Options
    matrix1272matrix1272 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All.

I just purchased a 2004 Dodge Dakota SXT, my question is the truck has P255 65R / 16, is this the right size tire that came on the Dakota new? I am not sure when I have the tires changed if I should put 16's back on it or is it suppose to have 15's?
    Also it looks like the outer side of the tire is wearing more then the inner side on the front, and ideals? Thanks Bobby
  • Options
    To answer your question about the available tire/wheel combonations on the 2004 Dak, you could read your owners manual or check any tire-sales website.

It is not possible to put 15 inch tires on 16 inch wheels.

As for your possible uneven wear, you need to have your truck put on an alignment machine.
    It is best to get an alignment at least annually to prevent excessive wear on your expensive tires.

Also have all the ball-joints and other suspension components checked.

I assume you rotate the tires regularly. (most tire-sales places will do this FREE of charge)
  • Options
    datagurudataguru Member Posts: 95
    Hello fellow Dak owners,

I'm looking to replace OEM Goodyear Eagle LS, P255/65R/16 tires for my 2003 4.7L QC 2WD. Has anyone had any experiences with and/or can provide feedback for the following tires:

- Nokian WR SUV
    - Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred

Thanks in advance,
    dataguru
  • Options
    The Nokian WR is a very good all-weather tire. It is one of the very vew road tires rated for SNOW. I run them year-round. They have better traction than the original tires that came from the factory. Thus far, they have been wearing well.
  • Options
    Bruce - thanks for the feedback re Nokian WR SUV tires. I've heard lots of good things about them. This one should be good for the Pacific Northwest region where I live; we have lots of rain/light snow in the winter. I understand Nokian also makes a Vatiiva model with a slightly stiffer sidewall for trucks that carry a payload in the bed or go off-road often.

I'll likely go with the WR SUVs in the factory size P255/65R/16 or maybe slightly wider in a P265/70R/16 size. If I pick the wider taller size, will it raise the 3.92 differential drive ratio (i.e., to a lower number) due to less revolutions of the tire?

Thanks,
    dataguru
  • Options
    The Vativva is available in BOTH the "P" (passenger) and "LT" (Light Truck). The "LT" has the stiffer sidewall.

I run the Vativva "P" on my Dakota and the WR on my 56MPG Volkswagen TDI.
    ===========

To answer your question about changing the outsied tire diamater -- DONT DO IT! The Dakota factory shop manual warns that changing the tire diameter will affect the function of the ABS system.

If you REALLY want to change the tire diameter, the service-manual recommends reprogramming the onbobard computer so the ABS system and speedometer are accurate.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the feedback and astute advice. My 2003 QC has 4-wheel discs with both front/rear ABS so I will keep things simple with factory sizing to save from re-programming the various components. I believe the 4-wheel discs were only available for one model year(2003).

Thanks again, Bruce, you are a gem!
    dataguru
  • Options
    FYI...found this Vatiiva recall advisory just now in my research; haven't read the details yet but, thought I post it here for awareness sharing. Here's the link,

http://ohio.adtaker.com/recalls/info.aspx?mk=NOKIAN

Thanks,
    dataguru
  • Options
    cjs01dakotacjs01dakota Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know the angle on a 01 dakota wheel lugs? im a machinist and i just need the angle on it to make the spacer. or does any one know a site that has this spacer already. im tired of finding rims that are discontinued cause the dodge has such a weird spread. thanks
  • Options
    cpav5unccpav5unc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 QC. I bought it as a third party buyer. It already had after market rims on it. They were KMC Stealth 18". I got the tires rotated and one of the rims is bent in the hub. I had an extremely hard time finding a replacement rim. All places had was the five lug Ford and Chevy pattern. Why did Dodge do this? How can I get rid of my old rims? Do you know anyone who is interested?

Thanks
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Dodge used a six-bolt wheel on the Dakota for many years because they designed the Dakota to be a actual working truck instead of an image truck. In fact, I've heard a couple of pre-'05 Dakota owners say they are very disappointed that Dodge went to five-bolt wheels on the latest generation Dak.

Six-bolt wheels torque more evenly and are generally thought to contribute to reduced lateral runnout and thus less wheel vibration at speed. They also provide a stronger mounting under high torque and stress load conditions.

You typically will not find six-bolt Dodge wheels for the Dakota in many places because...well they're not for Chevies, although the bigger custom auto places here in Rochester, New York seem to carry them.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    I agree with Dusty - the 6-bolt pattern is for strength and contributes to the overall heavy-duty nature of the Dak. It is a true WORK truck... not some "me too" weakling pickup truck look-alike. My 2000 dak also has a 12-bolt rear-end. (differential)

Even if your Dak has 4 or 5 bolt wheels, you would have the VERY SAME PROBLEM because most folks do not carry Dodge wheels. You problem is not the 6-bolt pattern... it is the fact it is a Dodge. (Dodge=Different!!)

I assume that you are aware that 5-bolt Ford is not interchangable with 5-bolt chevy nor 5-bolt Dodge...they are ALL different bolt patterns. (diameter of bolt-pattern is different)

Have you tried researching for a replacement dodge wheel on the internet? There are MANY places which should carry what you are looking for.
  • Options
    mbnortonmbnorton Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Does anyone know if rims from a 2004 f150 will fit a 2003 dakota 6 bolt?
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I don't know for sure, but my guess would be they don't. Ford has always used a different center pattern than Dodge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    mbnortonmbnorton Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    F150 wheels have either 5 or 7 lugs - no way they'll get on a Dakota 6-lug.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    2001_dakota2001_dakota Member Posts: 1
    Im 16 years old and im looking for some a/t tires to put on my 2001 dakota. I have Bridgestone Dueler Apt p235/75r15 105s on there right now and i want something more aggressive. Im looking for something that is a resonable price but will give good traction off-road.
  • Options
    rick_dwilliamsrick_dwilliams Member Posts: 1
    A good all around tire for on and off road is the Good year Silent Armor. I have them on my 2001 dodge ram and I have been very happy with them. I do alot of driving working construction and there is very little road noise and (knock on wood) I have never gotten stuck in the mud with them either.
  • Options
    dabbodabbo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Dakota and have second hand aftermarket tires and rims that i want to install. Does anyone know if it is ok to put spacers or adaptors on just the front and not on the rear? The top swing arm is rubbing on the inside of rim. Thanks for any feedback.
This discussion has been closed.