Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Brake Issues

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Lots of variables here.

Who did the work?
    Did they properly clean and lubricate the pins?
    What kind of pads did they use (i.e. semi-metallic, organic, ceramic)?
    Did the pads have anti-squeal backings on them?
    What were the conditions of the boots and the mini bushings/grommets that the pins slide through?
  • sparkyrxsparkyrx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and have had the same problems. My vehicle is going back to the dealer for the third time; my previous mechanic was unable to find the problem either. I have had the master cylinder replaced, a pump (can't remember exact name), cylinders replaced. My vehicle goes 3 to 4 days, then I call them back and they say, "Nooooo! not again"

Have you gotten your van fixed yet? If so let me know what was found out. I like and would like to keep my van (still paying on it, too). Thanks to you or others monitoring this Forum.
  • troyantroyan Member Posts: 9
    Again, the problem with the bendix pump/ accumulator system is that the accumulator goes bad... then the pump tries to keep up with demand.. overheats and just plan dies. Chrysler will replace the pump... but not the master cylinder or the accumulator... find a good used one at a bone yard... and use a strap wrench to get it off to NOT crush the casing... take THAT to the dealr and have them bleed out the system... i'm told it has quite a few steps to make it all work.... the van works great so far{fingers still crossed} and it cost me about $200 for all the labor and such...
    good luck with your van
  • handelsxhandelsx Member Posts: 2
  • handelsxhandelsx Member Posts: 2
    on the rear drivers side there is a junction box where the lines go to the back brakes the metal line rusted out. i bought 3/16" line one of the lines fit but the other line the fittings don't match up they are to small does anyone know the fitting size for them. i don't have the tow package it a v-6 thank you for any help
  • 727727 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I own a -93 chrysler Grand Voyager, 3,3 with 300.000 km on the clock.
    Some time ago it began with a clicking sound from somewere out front
    whenever I touch the brakepedal. Even if it is done ever so gently!!
    The braking doesn't seem to be affected.But it is quite annoying.
    And something isn't right.
    Any suggestions?

Best regards, 727 :)
  • diydodgediydodge Member Posts: 3
    Hi sparkyrx

Sorry it took me so long to reply to you question.. NO I have not found a fix for my brake problem. The transmission broke big time in may and the car is now parked in the driveway. I think the junk yard is next stop.

I replaced the 97 caravan with a 2008 Toyota Sienna.. Hope the brakes work better on this van....

diydodge
  • ronbo2ronbo2 Member Posts: 6
    back untill 2000 or before chrysler in my opinion as i work at wap building vans has used minimum standard parts there front brakes wear out within one year the shaking is because thre rotors are now warped happens all the time from excessive heat i am doing one today that is why i am here as they changed the bolting system and the calipers my personal advise to anyone with a minivan put good new pads and rotors and save the factory ones to use while you get the old ones turned when needed i have a 2000&2006 and it happened to me within one year on both and i bought them both brand new.to anyone buying a new van nevermind the bling bling tell the sales person to throw in a set of pads and rotors your going to need them....
  • ronbo2ronbo2 Member Posts: 6
    your 97 just needs a sensor when it cools off it should work they are known for that as for your toyota when it breaks i hope you have a credit card
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Sort of to underscore what you wrote, our 1998 DGC Sport went through five sets of pads and rotors in its first 115,000 miles. During that time I used "top-of-the-line" NAPA and MOPAR rotors and pads, and the longest any one set lasted was 30,000 miles, while the "youngest" set that failed only had 8,000 miles on it, and as you stated, the failure mode was warped rotors.

At the 115,000 mile mark I took the advice from a guy on another board that had switched to cross-drilled rotors and gotten good life out of them. Good thing I did. Why? Well, now with 168,000 miles on the van, the pads have about 3/8" of lining still intact and the rotors are just now starting to warp a bit causing a very minor pulsation in the brake pedal. I'll probably milk another 10,000 miles out of the and replace them with the exact same components.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Hmm. I guess that surprises me because we have now put a little over 20,000 miles on our 1998 DGC (191,000 on the ticker), and when checking the brake pads while changing out tires this fall, they were at ~1/2" apiece, which was not appreciably different from last fall - maybe 1/16". I would expect them to last upwards of 100,000 miles at this rate, but I do not know how new they were when I purchased the van. The rotors, while I am not sure if they are original, are smooth and true. If any vehicle I have ever owned was going to have warped rotors, I would expect this van to be it. It does not slow down by engine resistance nearly at all, which leads to additional braking, plus it is rather heavy, which leads to stronger application of the brakes. Granted, I am fairly easy on the brakes, but my wife is not. ;)

Maybe it has more to do with the frequency of repeated braking, rather than individual applications.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • driver59driver59 Member Posts: 1
    I had my tires rotated recently ~12000 miles. I now notice a sever wearing of the discs. When I questioned the service tech they told me the usual wear on brakes in the western PA area is any where fro 11000-17000. This does not sound right to me as I am not hard on brakes and previously gotten over 30000. Is it possible that the lug nuts are over-tightened? One other car I had required a 105 torque. Anything above that caused excessive wear on the brakes. Does this apply to the Caravan os well? :confuse: :confuse:
    A severe wearing of the discs themselves, rather than pads? Yeah, it is certainly possible that the nuts are overtightened. That is an often-sited contributor to warped rotors. As a general rule, I recommend that you always check the torque on the nuts either at the shop or as soon as you get home. I check them at the shop most of the time, unless I am in a hurry and just do not think about it. I find that the shops typically overtighten them, which makes it nearly impossible to bust the darn things loose with the lug wrench. Once, though, a shop forgot to tighten them (hand tight only), and I nearly lost one wheel 12 miles from the shop. I applied the brakes and felt a very disconcerting wobble, so I stopped and two of five nuts had almost completely backed off two tires, with the other three following behind. That was scary - I called the shop on that one and politely asked them to make SURE they double check the nuts.... It really would have paid for me to remember to check them at the shop that time!

I always tighten mine with the lug wrench, by hand, by feel. I'm fairly consistent, and would estimate them to be at 90-95 ft lbs. A torque wrench would remove the estimation factor, if you choose to invest in one. I have never had a problem with discs on any vehicle I have owned, and never have I replaced a set of discs on any vehicle. My Subaru Outback went 220,000 on the original discs and I replaced the front pads at 144,000 miles, rears at 192,000. So, I dunno about 11-17,000, but that seems nuts to me for pads, let alone discs! I would think discs should last at least 50,000 miles, absent any extenuating circumstances. Again, it is likely to be highly dependent upon conditions, though.

You know your service history - if something suddenly seems awry to you, it probably is.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dno36dno36 Member Posts: 71
    You should have bled the line at the cylinder of the line (just hold your finger over the end of the line whilst a buddy pedals it) when you replaced the rear cylinder, .
    This would eliminate the possibility of a blockage inside the cylinder.
    If there is junk in the line(unlikely), it will probably pass through this way.

I would try this to see if the pedal responds better.
    If it does, try a new cylinder.

This would eliminate the problem at the cylinder if nothing changes.
    You would them move up the line towards the master cylinder looking for possible kinks or smash points.

Cheers

Dean
  • rbleizefferrbleizeffer Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Caravan goes through front pads on the left front wheel every 10,000 miles or so. Two mechanics haven't found the problem. So, I need to replace the pads and want to save some money and do it myself. Last time I did it I had a problem getting the caliper pried apart to put the new pads in. Any tips? Do I have to remove the brake line? Then I have to bleed the brakes.
    I have not changed the pads on my GC yet, but on other vehicles, I use a C-clamp and slowly compress the piston(s) into the body. As for actually getting the pads in and out, I have never had a problem - loosen the retaining bolt for the caliper, it swings up and out of the way, then slip the old pads out and the new pads in. Apply some anti-squeal to the pad backings and, as long as the pistons are fully compressed on both sides, the calipers swing right down over the pads. Lock the retaining bolt back into place and viola - pads changed.

Perhaps Dodge does theirs differently, though.
  • jkrautjkraut Member Posts: 1
    Dodge Caravan SE - 1996

Replaced the Front Pads and Rotors on our 1996 Dodge Caravan 3-weeks ago. When I test-drove the vehicle everything was fine.

My wife used the van on short errand trip around town for a week and found the brakes to be working fine. The van was not used for a few days and when I went to drive it the wheels felt like they were locked. I felt the brakes were FIRM to the touch and it was sticking both in forward and reverse. I didn't have time to figure it our that day so I used another vehicle.

I checked it a few days later and the van seemed to roll normally so I took it for a short test drive of 1-2 KM and then stopping - I could smell hot brakes outside the vehicle. The front-drivers wheel was warm/hot to the touch.

I drove home and raised the front end. With the engine running and the transmission in Drive the front-drivers wheel would not turn and the front-passengers wheel turned freely.

I raised the rear and found the rear-passenger wheel was also LOCKED and the rear-drivers wheel turned freely.

I can't figure out why the BRAKING CIRCUIT for the affected front-drivers wheel and rear-passenger wheel is maintaining/creating pressure, which is preventing the wheels from turning freely.

There are no “Warning Lights On” on the dash.

The situation has escalated to the point where the van can’t be driven at all. To move the van from my driveway into the garage I had to release the Bleeder Screw on the Front Caliper slightly and this allowed me to drive the van into the garage.

The front calipers are retracted normally – and the rotor turns when you bleed the caliper and locks when you close the bleeder screw.
    The fluid level in the master cylinder is also at the correct level.

:confuse: I have bleed the brakes with a vacuum pump according to the manual – But the manual also states that for a proper bleed the van should be taken to the dealer with a DRB scan tool. Is that true for this Make/Model?

Below is a list of what I have tried to see if it would correct the problem, but saw no change:

1. Bleed the brakes (twice) according to the repair manual with no change.
    2. Replaced the Brake Hose on Front Drivers Side – Again no change, then Bleed the Front Drivers Caliper – Wheel remained locked.
    3. Pulled the ABS relay out, as well as the 40AMP – ABS fuse trying to deactivated the ABS System to see if that would make any changes – No Change
    4. Rechecked calipers and pistons and they are moving freely no binding no sticking.
    5. Pins & sliders have been cleaned up & lubed.

Have spoken to a few mechanics this week and they have had no new ideas as to the cause of the problem.

Could the ABS be causing this problem? The front-driver and rear-passenger is the Braking Circuit that is affected.

I’m truly stumped by this problem and am at a loss as to what is going on. Any ideas as to what I am missing… :confuse:
  • pphillips700pphillips700 Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if about pulling the rotors off the front of a 2000 GC. Anything special, I've done the pads many times but never the rotors, I'll be using hand tools, no air impact.

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    jkraut: Check the tiny return holes in the master cylinder for probable blockage in one of the return circuits.

pphillips700: Once the calipers are off, the rotors should be removable easily barring any corrosion. There is a factory clip on one of the studs that may catch, but the removal itself is easy.
  • rargreencastlerargreencastle Member Posts: 1
    2005 Dodge Caravan-58,000 miles. Disk on the front, drums on the rear. I tried to drive the van yesterday morning. Rear wheels locked up as if the parking brake was on (I never use it). Neighbor came over, checked the parking brake cable; free and loose. He jumped up and down on the rear bumper, while I engaged and disengaged the transmission from drive to reverse. Nothing. Rear cylinders froze up?
    Checked the fuses; everything is o.k.?
    suggestions?
    Do you have a recent snowfall? If you drove through deep snow, they may be literally froze up (water in there has frozen the shoes to the drums). If that is a possibility, you can heat the drums with a propane torch (as you would use for soldering copper plumbing joints) just long enough to thaw the ice, then it should pop loose.
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    Hello all, I was wondering if someone had an exploded view and or a set of instructions on replacing the rear rotors and pads. I am finding out it seems like Dodge has done like Volvo did on my old 240 wagon and put a parking brake aka drum brake shoe setup inside the rear rotor to function as the parking brake.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes you can find instructions online. Try the links in the Online Repair Manuals discussion.

Steve, visiting host
  • muggelbergmuggelberg Member Posts: 19
    I have 2001 caravan, pass side rear brake locks tight and I can't get it to release. I heard a little clicking sound from under the dash when I apply the brakes.. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?? I don't believe the van has ABS. so I'm stumped... HELP..... If the van is in Nuteral it clicks even more and then locks right up!!

Thanks Bill
  • tonbar81tonbar81 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager with same ABS problem that I took to Chrysler service for warranty work. Estimate was $466.52 because the ABS Accumulator was not covered. I would like to find out how the replacement of non-ABS parts went and any details if available, please.
    As for my 2001 caravan. I had the rear drums on both sides rebuild. Everything! Money well spent. Everything was in major need of being replaced. If you can rebuild the brakes yourself, I recomend it, it would be cheaper! Good Luck.
  • toccopolatoccopola Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever solve this problem? I am having a similar one on a 1999 van. Mine is front brake only though. Tried the same things you did including a new brake vacume booster.
    Any luck?
    I've got a 1999 van. 167,000 miles. The front brakes begin to apply pressure after about 45 mins of running. Even put it on the rack & nobody touched the brakes. Same thing. They don't ever lock down while driving but you can feel the tug and smell it when you stop. They get very hot of course.
    Done all the basics, line-bleeding, cleaning proportioning valves, etc. Even put a new brake vacume booster on. No effect.
    Disconnected the abs fuse and it still did it.
    Is it the ABS Hydraulic Unit?? They are quite pricey.
    We can't find anyone else who has had this problem.
    Any ideas?
    I did have the problem corrected. I ended up re-building the entire rear brake system on both sides, the drums, the shoes and all of the hareware. All in all it cost me about $180 for the parts. I would think that the front end would be easier to fix... Less hardware. I would start with the cheap parts and work my way to the more $$$ stuff. Sorry I couldn't help you any more...
  • vmaxdude2000vmaxdude2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi , we have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. Does anyone know what the eco on display means on the dash. Thanks.
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Economy. The fuel usage in Miles Per Gallon. You'll find this and a whole lot of other useful stuff in your Owners Manual.

C.B.
  • dexsdodgedexsdodge Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 eng. I need the front cover of the engine or some call it the timing chain cover. My alternator bolts to it. The Dodge dealer states that when the updated cover is installed, you must install a new timing gear set. I've checked with another dealer and got the same information. Does any one why that is so? I don't want to spent about $430 for parts and I don't really need them. I got the part # for the parts. TIMING COVER- #5137544AE, GEAR SET- #68001398AA or #68001402AA. The computer listed 2 gear sets but the dealer could not tell which one went with my van even though he entered the VIN#. I really need help on this one.
  • shotgun46shotgun46 Member Posts: 7
    OK I have done a Lot of reading on this forum and need help I have a1990 Dodge Caravan I purchased used ! the Van did the Brake lock up thing again ! I am out of ideas on how to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it ! new pads and calipers & rotors & new Brake lines New Master Cylinder and fresh fluid ! any one have any ideas ???
    Mine was a 1999 van. Sounds like it might be the same problem though. Took us nearly a year of trial and error and head scratching to figure it out. Finally replaced the brake booster and that fixed it! Just like you, we replaced everything else first. That was the last item. It is attached to the wall right in front of the steering wheel under the hood.

Anyway, let me know if that fixes it. Very curious to find out. Our problem had a whole lot of folks stumped.
    edited December 2010
    Thanks I guess that will be the next thing I replace and yep I will come back and let you know ! how hard is it to replace ??? and thank you for your help
    I ordered the Brake booster for 59.95 and will put it on Friday and let you know how it turns out
    Problem Solved it was the Brake Booster all is well ! Thank you very much for your help ! it took us about 30 minutes to remove and replace it ! it kinda tricky getting the booster in and out but it can be done
  • leroythebuggerleroythebugger Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    My question, if answered, should save my marriage. Otherwise I will need a new home. I hope someone can help me before I have to pack. My van, listed above, Is driving me crazy, litterly. When we bought this a year and a half ago the dealer put new back brakes on it. The past two months the rear wheels began to make this horrible noise. When you step on the break petal it sound like the tire is scrubbing on something. The sound gets slower and louder as the van gets slower. The noise is becoming deafening. While you are driving down the road, there is a little bird tweet noise as well. We have had it to three different mechanics. One said it was brake dust, blew it all out and the noise was back as I braked to leave his parking lot. The second one said the pads were too hard and took them off and sanded them, of course that didn't work. Third one said the pads and drum was out of round. They took them off, ground and reshaped them, sanded them to get rid of all the brake dust and said they were sound, They were until I went to pull into the garage. I am at my wits end, short trip I admit, but can SOMEONE please help me. Any suggestions taken seriously..... BRAKELESS IN NEW YORK.
    is it the front or Back making the noise ???
  • leroythebuggerleroythebugger Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    The noise is from the Back Brakes on the passenger side.
    edited December 2010
    Ok Have you pulled it apart to have a Look ???? Check for Metal to metal contact
  • a1vtmv48a1vtmv48 Member Posts: 2
    Do You Have Access To An Electric Impact Gun Or An Air Impact Gun, That's What U Need To Loosen The Bolts Or Nuts If Their Stuck. The Impact Gun Is Lihe A Steady Pounding Hammer To Loosten The Nuts Or Bolts. It's Better Than A Rachett.
  • a1vtmv48a1vtmv48 Member Posts: 2
    I 'm Having Trouble With My 1997 3.0 Litre Dodge Voyager Brakes. The Brake Peddal Almost Goes To The Floor When I Apply Them. I Can Hear A Swishing Sound From Inside The Van. I Checked The Vacume Hose Going To The Brake Booster And It's Not Leaking Any Air. My Master Cylinder Is Not Down On Brake Fluid, So I Don't Think I Have A Bad Brake Line. We Changed The Break Pads And Break Shoes About A Month Ago. Do You Have Any Suggestions For Me To Try?
  • kdarejrkdarejr Member Posts: 1
    My 1990 did the same thing It was the brake booster that went bad ! after I replaced every thing else !
    how do I get rid of the red Brake light on the dash every thing to do with the Brakes are new ! I think it's the parking Brake release position not reading
  • bob448bob448 Member Posts: 1
    I have the issue with clicking noise. I can not find an answer for this problem. It is just annoying. Could this be related to a faulty speed sensor ?
  • gg1328gg1328 Member Posts: 16
    I replaced my driver's side cv axle on my 1998 Plymouth Voyager, 3.3 engine, because it broke in 2. In order to do this I had to disconnect the ABS line and remove the caliper. Brake fluid leaked out. When I replaced everything, the ABS light stays on and it feels like the brake is locked. Can you please advise me on what to do?
    Thanks for your help!!
    George
  • pontiaclivespontiaclives Member Posts: 19
    My 98 T&C has sticky rear brakes. I pulled the wheel off, looks like the right rear wheel brake sticks. When you start the car and put it in gear, the car doesn't move unless you really hit the gas. Anyone know what causes it? It looks like the parking brake but I couldn't pull the calibers out, it has an 18mm bolt, I have every size socket but that. Before I put more time into it, I want to make sure I am on the right track.
    Thanks.
    I had the same issues. I ended up rebuilding the rear brakes.(drums) it sounds as if your van has disc brakes on the rear. My guess is the calibers are sticking..A cheap fix is just replacing them before it locks up and eats your rotors and pads.. They don't cost much.. maybe $30 each.. Good Luck

Bill
  • gg1328gg1328 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager, 3.3 engine and 198,000 miles on it. I replaced my driver's side cv transaxle, because it broke in two. In order to do this I had to remove the caliper and brake hose amongst other things. After reinstalling everything, in order to move the car I really have to hit the gas. The wheel just seems to spin. It seems to me that the brakes are locked. It has the ABS system. The ABS light stayed on until I bleed the driver's side brake. Can you please help me to fix the problem.
    Thanks,
    George