Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Transmission

2»

Comments

• jstark3jstark3 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission seems to be slipping. Between 1st and 2nd gear I have to feather the gas pedal to get it to shift. It seem to do ok after I get my speed up until I hit a hill and it downshifts. Then the RPM's go up to 5 k and I still loss speed. I have never had any problems getting up these hills in the past. Is my transmission going out or is there some other underlying problem? Also I had a brake issue when this first started happening. I had air in the line (front passenger) that I had to bleed out. I don't know if the two issues could be related in any way or how the air got in the brake line. Please help I really don't want to pay for a trany just before christmas. (Mileage is 140,000)
  • dic4848dic4848 Member Posts: 1
    put my car in reverse and had nothing. would not move, felt like i had the brakes on and nothing. goes in drive fine but doesnt move in reverse. got home and tried reverse again and had nothing. i go to put it in reverse and it makes a grinding noise for a few seconds. is my tranny shot?
  • jdh9jdh9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same type of noise. Very loud humming, increases with speed. I looked for the level plug. Jacked the car up, removed the tire on the passenger side and looked around. Could not see anything that looked like a removable plug. Is the level plug on the front, side or back of the case? Thanx
  • muscleybeaumuscleybeau Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE. The only thing that's happened to it is the antifreeze has all leaked out from a small metal oval opening covered up by a metal covering near the middle of the car under the floorboards. The opening is no where near the radiator.Hanes manuals state the dex-cool antifreeze orange in color also cools the transmission. How do I repair the leak?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It's on the side near the front.
  • robertson2robertson2 Member Posts: 6
    So I just bought a 2000 Grand Am SE, 3.4L....it only has 38,000 miles on it. Didn't notice this problem during the test drive because it only happens when the car is warmed up. I've read a few other posts on here describing the same thing but haven't really seen any definitive answers.

When I accelerate hard from a stop the tranny seems to be slipping from 1st to second gear. It slips for a second or two then grabs second gear and goes fine after that. It shifts smooth into all other gears while accelerating. The second thing I have noticed is that when I'm cruising from about 45-55 miles per hour and come to a slight incline in the road and accelerate very slightly the car jerks between 4th and 3rd gears as if it wants to downshift. I have to accelerate harder to get it down into 3rd or it just keeps jerking slightly between the two gears.

Any suggestions? Called the dealer where I bought it, they cover it for the first 3,000 miles. I'm interested to see what they say or do with it. If you know of this problem and have heard or seen a fix for it, please let me know!! Thanks.
  • jmotzkojmotzko Member Posts: 1
    My transmission knocks in park and when in gear. It also slams into gear. I have already had the filter and fluid changed. I did notice that when the engine was replaced that the mount on the driver side is missing 2 of the 4 bolts. Could that cause the problem?
  • wower22wower22 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same issue. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
  • praline75praline75 Member Posts: 2
  • praline75praline75 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am and I have recently noticed that it is leaking transmission fluid in reverse only and only when in reverse for an extended period of time. I am wondering what the issue could be and approximately how much I'm looking at spending to resolve this issue. Thanks for any feedback...
    That's strange. Can you tell where it's leaking from?
  • anchor3anchor3 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE 3.4L. TOOK A ROCK UNDER THE CAR AND LEAKED OUT ALL (apparently) RED (Transmission fluid). No dipstick or way to fill as I've seen reported on other sites. Novice here, but want to be armed with info before taking to garage. What's most likely damage from the rock ? aNY HELP ?
    The only way to know for sure (and to be safe in case there's no fluid in the transmission) would be to jack it up and look for damage to the pan or the cooler lines up front going to the radiator.
  • bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    Ok the bolts may be part of it, but check the vacuum line at the Modulator, and at the "TEE" where it divides at the engine The modulator is at the left side of the engine on top of the transmission, kind of looks like a fuel filter
  • jjackson2jjackson2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my car. What did you find out?
  • franklinmccfranklinmcc Member Posts: 1
    I recently replace my 2003 grand am tranny with a rebuilt one; the afternoon I got it back it drove for a few ours and then stalled out on me; I started it back up and it would not go into drive. The reverse is working but not the drive. What does this mean? A bad tranny or a cable or neutral switch is bad or not connected? Any help would be great!!!
  • hydrometeorhydrometeor Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 grand am gt and about a week ago when I would get on the highway, I would accelerate and when my RPMs got to 4k, my car would no longer accelerate as if brakes have been applied, but the RPMs would continue to barely increase. Two days ago, I was stopped at a light and when i went to give it gas it barely accelerated. I pushed the pedal in to give it more gas to accelerate at a quicker rate and the RPMs wouldnt even go past 2k. The petal would be in the floor and my engine wouldnt rev, RPMs wouldnt increase and i wouldnt accelerate. When i let off the gas and barely push in, it does fine. When its in park, i can rev the car all the way up to 4k RPM when the governor kicks in with no trouble. when i shift to D, it kicks somewhat. I can drive it around fine, but it is slow to accelerate and i dont give it much gas. Please I am in desperate need of some help as to what my issue may be. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
  • fitzgirlfitzgirl Member Posts: 1
    sounds like the transmission is shot, your problems sound like mine and thats what a mechanic told me. my car would stall everytime I had to stop and then felt sluggish until I got it home. might not be whats wrong with your but sure sounds like the same exact problems i'm having. I have to pay $600 up front for a rebuilt one and no telling what labor will be.
  • tylerburch2009tylerburch2009 Member Posts: 1
    my guess is to take it to a mechanic to get the engine and the car checked out tabbort32
  • doofus54doofus54 Member Posts: 21
    i own a '93 grand am with the 2.3 engine and 3spd automatic with electric overdrive. it has been quite durable, but the overdrive began sticking in gear a while back and stalling the engine when stopping. i found the electrical connection and pulled the plug. no more problem, and no more overdrive. i would like to fix it, but i believe it is a mortal sin to take a car to a garage for repairs before trying myself. i have been told a sticky valve in the valve body is to blame. my question: is the valve body accessible with the pan removed? and will parts be needed, or should polishing the valve cylinder walls suffice?
  • cololeocololeo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and the same problem. I was told that it could be the modulator valve.
    " i found the electrical connection and pulled the plug. no more problem, and no more overdrive" If that's the case then it sounds to me like the problem isn't the overdrive itself but the system that actuates it.
  • starr3creeperstarr3creeper Member Posts: 1
    i have a 00 grand am se1 2.4 liter auto i took it in for a tune up and now my car is running like crap wont go over 30miles but i have to work the gas to get it up to 30 i have check the vac line wires any ideas to why my car that was running great is now not ruuning